PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous combustion

Dagobahn Eagle
04-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Apparently, 10 people were evacuated out of a building due to smoke. Fire fighters figured out that the smoke came from a burning bag in the washing room.

According to the fire department, if you take hot clothes out of a drier and stuff them tightly together (as was the case with those in the bag), they may produce additional heat and combust. It's rare, but it happens.

I didn't know that.

Norwegian News paper (source) (http://www.bt.no/lokalt/bergen/article357255)

Joetheeskimo
04-09-2005, 09:21 PM
First Paragraph:

Ulmingen ga tett røyk i en leilighet i fjerde etasje av leiegården i Herman Foss gate 7, like ved Nygårdsgaten.

Om lag ti personer befant seg i huset da branntilløpet ble meldt klokken 21.40. Alle beboerne kom seg raskt ut av bygningen.

Hmm. Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't get the core message of that paragraph. :indif:

Hermie
04-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Haha, stupid bergensere and their combustible clothes!

Pie™
04-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Haha, I always meant bergensere were particularly stupid (except the musicians <.<).

tags
04-09-2005, 09:46 PM
to prevent combustion: fold clothes!

Dagobahn Eagle
04-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Herminator
Haha, stupid bergensere and their combustible clothes!
They keep you warm.

And Joe, I don't think it's allowed to post in any language other than English here. I can translate what you quoted, though :p

"The [glowing clothes] produced thick smoke in an appartment in the fourth floor of the appartment building in Herman Foss street 7, near Nygårdsgaten.

About 10 people were in the house when the [fire-starting] was reported at 21:40. All of the inhabitants got out out the building quickly."

I'm not sure about the English meaning of the two words I've [bracketed] (dang, first time in years a translation has had me stumped!).

Hermie
04-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Thats because Bergens Tidene writes in an old-fashioned (crappy) way.

Dagobahn Eagle
04-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Thats because Bergens Tidene writes in an old-fashioned (crappy) way.
Which I like, punk:mad: .

(:p)