PDA

View Full Version : Return of the King...


legameboy
04-13-2005, 11:36 PM
... Kong.

Anyone excited about Peter Jackson's remake of the uber-classic King Kong? I for one am. I can't wait to see what he has in store for us.

I've just recently seen a current-day picture of him and for some reason he's not obese anymore... I almost didn't recognize him.

El Sitherino
04-13-2005, 11:53 PM
*shrugs* the one they did in the 70's sucked. And noone can scream like Fay Wray.

Rogue15
04-14-2005, 12:44 AM
hey don't dis the old king kong!!! i remember watching that black and white **** when i was 5 and living in belaire, michigan!!!! the one where king kong pwns all the dinosaurs. i felt sad for the dinosaurs, as they were my passion as a young boy before my thumbs got taken over by nintendo.

IG-64
04-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by legameboy
I've just recently seen a current-day picture of him and for some reason he's not obese anymore... I almost didn't recognize him.

Really? I wanna see.

For King Kong, seems cool, never been a king kong fan, but ill give it a go since its peter jackson. :p

And Andy Serkis as King Kong sounds weird >_>

El Sitherino
04-14-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
hey don't dis the old king kong!!! i remember watching that black and white I said '70's.

The 70's one with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange sucked.

This one, I'm not sure if it'll be good or not.

Sabretooth
04-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by legameboy
... Kong.

Anyone excited about Peter Jackson's remake[/SIZE]

You sure he won't mix up with LOTR/Hobbit? Heh.

Kong climbs up the 'State Building to find a large red eyeball sticking out.

Heh. Heh.

*runs*

Lightsaberboy
04-14-2005, 01:42 AM
i dunno. king kong? jack black? i dunno if the combination will mix well...

Mike Windu
04-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Because we saw what happened when Agent Smith played Elrond.

*runs*

STTCT
04-14-2005, 01:52 AM
I'm kinda sick of seeing over grown animals tearing apart cities. It will probably be like godzilla remake.... :P

El Sitherino
04-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by STTCT
I'm kinda sick of seeing over grown animals tearing apart cities. It will probably be like godzilla remake.... :P Sucky and only saved by Jean Reno being awesome as hell?

Nalukai
04-14-2005, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
*shrugs* the one they did in the 70's sucked. And noone can scream like Fay Wray.


jamie lee curtis can....

jon_hill987
04-14-2005, 04:55 AM
I was hopeing 'the hobbit' would be made first...

Astrotoy7
04-14-2005, 06:20 AM
peter jackson or not, theres only so much one can do with a freakin big MONKEY movie.... astro's giving it the "big banana" award :(

Im moreso looking forward to HitchHikers Guide to The Galaxy...might have already been released in UK/US, but we get it here in a cpl of weeks... cant wait to see how they do the paranoid android :p

mtfbwya

Sivy
04-14-2005, 06:32 AM
not interested in a film about a giant monkey.


i am interested however in the movie adaptation of 'Meg' which is based on the novel about Megalodon (a shark that was 3 times the size of a giant white shark, but was extinct 1.6 million years ago)

http://comingsoon.net/news.php?id=9116

Mike Windu
04-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
peter jackson or not, theres only so much one can do with a freakin big MONKEY movie.... astro's giving it the "big banana" award :(

Im moreso looking forward to HitchHikers Guide to The Galaxy...might have already been released in UK/US, but we get it here in a cpl of weeks... cant wait to see how they do the paranoid android :p

mtfbwya


Mos Def Mos Def Mos Def

:D

and the paranoid android is pretty cool too.

jebbers
04-14-2005, 08:23 AM
i used to watch King Kong Vs. Godzilla when i was younger...but im looking forward to the HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy and more towards Amityville Horror....

legameboy
04-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by IG-64
Really? I wanna see.

For King Kong, seems cool, never been a king kong fan, but ill give it a go since its peter jackson. :p

And Andy Serkis as King Kong sounds weird >_>

http://img-www.kongisking.net/images/040105_day123.jpg
http://img-www.kongisking.net/images/033005_day120.jpg

Small pictures... I know...

Andy Serkis is doing motion capture work similiar to what he did in the Lord of the Rings.

Lightsaberboy
04-14-2005, 08:36 AM
yea, hitchhiker's guide looks more appealing to me. im more of a sci-fi person. plus, the trailer to "Serenity" is gonna be in it!!!

anyways, i wonder if its gonna stay true to the king kong story line or botch it up like with the godzilla movie with matthew broderick, in which godzilla was just some giant mutated iguana.

txa1265
04-14-2005, 08:55 AM
I think Peter Jackson did a good job with LOTR, but I don't worship the ground he walks on as so many see to ...

I was a major King Kong fan as a kid, so of course I saw the 70's version, which was a big hit but not very good.

I am more generally concerned about the rash of remakes:
- Willie Wonka ... why?
- Amityville Horror ... why?
- King Kong I can at least see, as it has the possibility to bring the classic to a new audience... if done right.

And, the early looks at Hitchhiker's Guide say it is crap.

Mike

coupes.
04-14-2005, 10:12 AM
http://img-nex.kongisking.net/kong/movies/day120-480x270-mpeg4.mov

http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/post-28013-1113207353.jpg

BongoBob
04-14-2005, 10:20 AM
To be honest, I never watched the original, so I really don't care for this movie. I would rather see the hobit, or at least a short documentary on how the hell he lost the weight :p

Astrotoy7
04-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by txa1265

And, the early looks at Hitchhiker's Guide say it is crap.

Mike

what does "early looks" mean ! from whom ! from you ?? from ....

HHGG was one of the first books I really loved as a kid.. Being a great fan of the books and the original TV series, what I have seen of the trailers make it look potentially pretty cool.... HHGG was never about huge battles and special effects...

I just hope they dont write alot of crap into it and lose Douglas Adams very particular style in the process.. Fortunately though, we will be able to blame it on entirely on american/disney influence :( :p

* * *

OMG Is that freakin Peter Jackson !! I know how he lost the weight : METHAMPHETAMINES ... acommon side effect of making it in Hollywood...

he does look very "George Lucas circa 1970s" :p

mtfbwya

txa1265
04-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
what does "early looks" mean ! from whom ! from you ?? from ....
No - I was actually very hopeful - my kids love the look of the trailer, and while they are too young for Monty Python (OK, I was watching it by their age (~8 or 9 when it hit US), but *man* did my mom ream my dad when she walked into us in front of the TV during the intro to the 'Mt Everest' sketch ...) ...

Anyway, I have been looking forward to it, but some 'early reviewers' who saw a pre-release print said it was awful. I hope they are wrong.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7
I just hope they dont write alot of crap into it and lose Douglas Adams very particular style in the process.. A lot of what is good about it doesn't translate well into a linear visual narrative.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Fortunately though, we will be able to blame on entirely on american/disney influence :( :p I'm sure there is a whole america/conservative/bush blame tree already under construction if the movie is bad ;)

Mike

Astrotoy7
04-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
A lot of what is good about it doesn't translate well into a linear visual narrative.
Mike

they handled some of those segways(?sic) very well in the TV series :) damn hilarious... as was that super depressed robot :p

mtfbwya

toms
04-14-2005, 11:48 AM
The original is still worth watching now. The stop motion animation may have aged a bit.. but king kong still looks pretty realistic. Definately more realistic than the man in a suit approach of the 70s remake.

I have to say i'm entirely unexcited by it though. PJ did a great job with LOTR, and a few of his early films were interesting in a low-budget kind of way... but he's far from a proven consistent director.

Personally I hope he changes it completely. Because there is actually very little you can do with the original plot. It is basically your generic "monster destroy's stuff" plot... but with a bit of sympathy for the monster.

But, unless he adds a fair bit more complexity and plot strands to it, its just going to be a godzilla-style load of CGI breakage.
-------------
I'm not keen on all these remakes either... though the Willy Wonka one with burton and depp has the potential to be pretty interesting.

edlib
04-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
Anyway, I have been looking forward to it, but some 'early reviewers' who saw a pre-release print said it was awful. I hope they are wrong.
A lot of what is good about it doesn't translate well into a linear visual narrative.

Well, I have pretty mixed feelings about it too. The only thing that keeps me hopeful is that Douglas Adams was incredibly involved with the movie right up until his death.

If you are looking for a recreation of the events of the first book, or the first several episodes of radio or TV show you are going to be a little surprised... Adams did say that once they get off Earth the events of the story pretty much contradict every other version of HHGG that has ever been released. I know that's gonna piss a lot of people off, but he did it deliberately and you can't really blame the filmmakers on that count.

I think seeing the one-headed Zaphod all though the movie is gonna be the hardest thing for me to accept (yes, I know his 2nd head is under his first... but still...)

coupes.
04-14-2005, 01:04 PM
King Kong people... ;)

txa1265
04-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by coupes.
King Kong people... ;)

This *IS* the Swamp, after all, and all threads are subject to highjacking without notice.

But the subject has me thinking ...

- Will there be a King Kong game for the PSP? ... and will it be better or worse than the DS version?
- Will the soundtrack sound better on the Creative Zen than on the iPod?
- If there are wallpapers, will the fact that Macs are teh sux0r make them look worse?
- Will there be any lightsabers in it ... or lifesavers for that matter ... and if so, what flavor ...

Mike

coupes.
04-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
This *IS* the Swamp, after all, and all threads are subject to highjacking without notice.
Cool ! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4439259.stm

ET Warrior
04-14-2005, 02:33 PM
I hate you guys :(


:p



I think the King Kong movie could be okay, it's not really something that I just HAVE to see, but it could be pretty good.

Boba Rhett
04-14-2005, 02:37 PM
This is Peter Jackson we're dealing with. If anyone can make Kong rock hard once again, it's this man. I can't wait to see it! :)

El Sitherino
04-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I am more generally concerned about the rash of remakes:
- Willie Wonka ... why? It's not really a remake since it's based on the book and not the old movie which was really bastardized of the book. Good, but not Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

IG-64
04-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Hijacker's Guide to the Galaxy. :p


Wow, Peter Jackson has lost weight. :eek:

And, yay at Adrien Brody being in King Kong, he's a good actor.

And, i'm with Bongo, never had a chance to see the original. >_>

txa1265
04-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
It's not really a remake since it's based on the book and not the old movie which was really bastardized of the book. Good, but not Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. That seems to presume that:
- The book was better than the original movie
- Being more like the book will make for a better movie.

I don't tend to believe either.

As regards King Kong, the original was an amazing technical acheivement for its' time ... yet had lots of heart. I hope that Jackson can capture the same heart and still have an amazing spectacle.

Mike

ET Warrior
04-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
That seems to presume that:
- The book was better than the original movie
- Being more like the book will make for a better movie.

Not really, it's saying that this movie is actually an original, because this movie really is Charlie and the Chocolate factory, and the old version was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory.

No presumptions about which is better, merely that this movie is one which intends (I assume) to be more faithful to the book

txa1265
04-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Not really, it's saying that this movie is actually an original, because this movie really is Charlie and the Chocolate factory, and the old version was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory.

No presumptions about which is better, merely that this movie is one which intends (I assume) to be more faithful to the book

That makes sense - sorry for the misinterpretation.

I am worried, though - I love Burton, Elfman, Depp ... and if the f-this up I may have to hate them ;) ... and after Planet of the Apes ...

Mike

IG-64
04-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
As regards King Kong, the original was an amazing technical acheivement for its' time ...

Did you go to the premiere?

*runs*


<3

Originally posted by txa1265
Depp

Depp looks girly in this movie.

And the trailer makes me want to strangle someone.

Clicky (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/charliechocolatefactory/)

ET Warrior
04-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Well you're entitled to your own opinion, however the trailer makes me giddy.

But..King Kong..discuss.

txa1265
04-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
But..King Kong..discuss. I'm not into playing on the 'Cube much, but my kids liked banging on the drums at toys r us ... oh wait, that's Donkey Konga ... wrong monkey, sorry ..

...

Oh, I know, wasn't King Kong the jolly old soul? Oh wait, that was old King Cole ... never mind.

...

Big monkey ... stay on target ... really big monkey ...

Mike

El Sitherino
04-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Not really, it's saying that this movie is actually an original, because this movie really is Charlie and the Chocolate factory, and the old version was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory.

No presumptions about which is better, merely that this movie is one which intends (I assume) to be more faithful to the book Exactly.

legameboy
04-14-2005, 05:16 PM
For all of those who want to know how the hell P.J. lost so much weight (http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3246433a10,00.html)...

... and as I've said before, I'm really looking forward to how this movie is going to turn out.

toms
04-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Hitchhikers

Originally posted by edlib
Well, I have pretty mixed feelings about it too. The only thing that keeps me hopeful is that Douglas Adams was incredibly involved with the movie right up until his death.

I heard that the reason he was involved up to his death was that he had a contract that specified he had to deliver a script, but the studio kept messing with the concept, and the contract didn't say when he had to deliver it, so he just kept them hanging around.
But that means that his contribution to the script may not be what he actually wanted.

Chocolate Factory
Plant of the apes did suck, but it wasn't really one of burton's usual films. Big Fish restored a lot of my faith, and CF seems like a classic burton idea, so i think he should do well.

King Kong
$200 Million???? That does seem excessive for a film that is unlikely to be more than a big, lightweight summer blockbuster. Between this, episode 3 and War of the Worlds it looks like there are some big Titanic/Waterworld wannabees out there this year... :(