PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Knight III?


Finalnight
04-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Anyone else see this on TFN.net

While in Imperial Remnant space, Kyle heard a rumor that the Sith had possibly survived all these years after Endor. Due to his personal experience with mysterious Sith magic on Drommund Kaas, Kyle took it upon himself to investigate after the invasion, following clues from Ord Sedra in the Clacis Sector to Yaga Minor, and finally striking out into the region known as the Cloak of the Sith. There's been no word from Kyle for some time, and it's feared that he's succumbed to the same fate as the Jedi Daye Azur-Jamin, who inexplicably disappeared during the Yuuzhan Vong War.

http://theforce.net/books/story/New_Kyle_Katarn_Info_at_WotC_91328.asp

EDIT: CELEBRATION III UPDATE

A panel recently closed at Celebration 3 which revealed details on the new post-NJO book series.

The title of the series was announced as being "Legacy of the Force". The era will be referred to as the "Legacy Era". The first book in the series by Aaron Allston will be entitled "Betrayal". There will be a hardback followed by two paperbacks, then that's repeated through the 9 books. The first is due in June 2006 with the others to follow every 3 months. The books will feature conflict stemming from "planetary interests that threaten peace" and Luke will be plagued by visions of "approaching darkness". Much of it will take place in the Outlands. The book covers a 2 - 3 year span and the main characters will be in their 60s which the authors referred to as "the new 40s".


A few other items of interest emerged. Troy Denning revealed that Kyle Katarn has a role in Dark Nest as well as the Chiss. Raynar will reappear in the book as well. He's just been MIA, not dead.

Hermie
04-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I saw that, but it's probably just a little artistic freedom..











then again...

jon_hill987
04-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Nah, I think if there is gonna be another Jedi Knight game (let's hope there is and that it uses the Serious 2 engine) then i think it will follow on from the dark side ending of jedi accademy, with Kyle hunting down Jaden.

lukeiamyourdad
04-18-2005, 04:42 PM
TFN...the most reliable Star Wars news source on the net.

Mike Windu
04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Man, I hope they make a game that has nothing to do with Jedi Academy. Let's just forget about it >_> <_<

BTW luke: I like your dark side better :xp:

LukeKatarn
04-18-2005, 07:28 PM
No I didn't see anything about JKIII comeing out, because it already came out............................................... ....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: But no I didn't hear anything about JK IV.

lukeiamyourdad
04-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
BTW luke: I like your dark side better :xp:

Bite me. You people are never happy unless I use a nudie pic.



Back on topic...JK:JA is not JKIII...for the last time...

Neverhoodian
04-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by LukeKatarn
No I didn't see anything about JKIII comeing out, because it already came out............................................... ....
Not if you ask TK-8252. ;)

But let's not even go there. No need to beat a dead horse.

It's nice to hear that good 'ol Kyle's still being used in Star Wars tales. That said however, I don't think there will be another Jedi Knight game anytime soon. I have a hunch that if another JK game is made, it will be at least a few years from now, much like the five year interval between Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast (or four years if you count the Mysteries of the Sith expansion).

wassup
04-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by jon_hill987
Nah, I think if there is gonna be another Jedi Knight game (let's hope there is and that it uses the Serious 2 engine) then i think it will follow on from the dark side ending of jedi accademy, with Kyle hunting down Jaden.

I doubt it, Lucas has stated that for the KOTOR series of games the light side ending is canon, so he'd probably do the same for the JK series.

LukeKatarn
04-18-2005, 10:12 PM
*Sigh*To you people it's not... ANyway, yeah I like the idea of Kyle being in another story. But yes, another game won't be out for quite a few years to come. Expect 2010ish...

Sabretooth
04-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by jon_hill987
Nah, I think if there is gonna be another Jedi Knight game (let's hope there is and that it uses the Serious 2 engine) then i think it will follow on from the dark side ending of jedi accademy, with Kyle hunting down Jaden.

Maybe they'll put me in the Credits. <_< >_>

As for JK3, I have no hopes. But I do have an idea of basing the next JK game in the Clone Wars. You play as a Jedi infiltrating Geonosis and then going thru tons of missions in the CW, and then escaping and evading the Jedi Purge.

jon_hill987
04-19-2005, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by LukeKatarn
No I didn't see anything about JKIII comeing out, because it already came out

No, No, No. Jedi Academy was more of an expantion pack. It just happened to run stand alone.

Astrotoy7
04-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by wassup
I doubt it, Lucas has stated that for the KOTOR series of games the light side ending is canon, so he'd probably do the same for the JK series.

*BZZT* You cant say "Lucas says its canon" in one sentence and not expect Astro to pull you up on it... references and linky please ??

* * *

btw, this talk of a JK sequel is ridiculous... I think LucasArts would be moreso promoting their current saber slasher...the ep3 game...

mtfbwya

toms
04-19-2005, 08:32 AM
They have mapped out so much backstory for all the characters in the EU it makes it almost impossible to find any "free space" in which to set new adventures. At least without contradicting itself.

I don't see any Jedi Knight games coming up soon, i'm pretty sure they will be busy with the EP3 games for a while yet.

Anyway, much as i loved the original Dark Forces, Jedi Knight and MotS (less so JO, and JA was only a little better) I think the series has kind of run into the ground.
They can't KEEP making kyle (or one of his students) loose his saber, relearn all his skills and choose between light and dark... and the remnant is becoming an increasingly stretched threat.

Also, KOTOR has kind of raised the bar as far as SW adventures go, and another JO/JA won't really cut it.

-----------
I always thought JA should have followed up the "dark kyle from JK" ending, or featured mara jade. But i don't now think they will ever do either of those.
-----------
However, once ep3 is out and the Canon is set for the whole 6 movies it will open up a lot more freedom to do games that range from ep1 through to ep4.
Which could lead to some interesting possibilities:
- The further adventures of obi-wan after ep3.
- A proper Rebellion/Supremacy empire building game where you actually get to research and combine techs from all the movies and determine how it all works out (Trade Fed wins, jedi join droids, gungans develop deathstar, etc..)
- A "Darth Vader" game that follows his recovery from his "accident" and his hunting down of the remaining jedi. This would rock and be similar to a JK game.

My ideal game would basically be a SW version of Deus Ex (DE meets KOTOR if you will) which would give you the freedom to develop a jedi, a bounty hunter, a scoundrel, or anything in between, and to influence the plot and choose an alignment. The only problem would be when to set it to give you the freedom to do all that... i guess pre-ep1 or KOTOR-time would be best... but i can't help wanting such a game set between eps3 and 4 and with Thrawn as a bad guy. :D

Sabretooth
04-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by toms

gungans develop deathstar


No, no. Never. That is NOT gonna happen.

*flashback-like sequence*

"Obisa neva told yousa abut you fatha"
Luke's dialogue
"Nooooo! Mesa be yousa fatha!"
Luke's dialogue, with an extra long NO.
"Joinsa me, Lukey, we cansa rulesi zis galaksy as gungan ands sonsa!

NOOOOOOOOOO!

Darth Rythe
04-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Jedi Knight 3
Revenge of the big eared annoying orange tree hugger

Darth Groovy
04-20-2005, 07:09 AM
Not to bad mouth TheForce.net, but ALOT of garbage has floated through there through out the years. Anybody here old enough to remember the faux Episode II trailer? While it WAS pretty, it was fabricated. There is also alot of fabricated rumors, scripts, and "sightings" that have been floating around there for years now. I used to belong to TheForce.net a couple of years before I joined here.

My experience with LucasForums, is that the elders of this community and respective owners, still have a VERY close relationship with LucasArts. Not to sound arrogant, but when WE know something, YOU will know something, and those who hold the rank of Supermod and higher, usually hear about these things before anyone else does. Until you see something on the LA website, and/or a global announcement from one of our admins, don't put TOO much stock into what you see on TheForce.net. :)

toms
04-20-2005, 07:55 AM
But to be fair TFN isn't saying that there WILL be a new JK3, only that the official (?) bios for Kyle and his family have been updated.

They just comment that this might mean a new JK game based on the new info... but they do make clear it is just speculation on their part.

--------

Sabretooth: You fail to realise that when I rule the gungans I will rule them with an iron fist and shape them into an efficient and formidible fighting force.

And i won't appoint my generals from proven failures simply because they bring Natalie Portman to kneel before me...

..although now i think about it...

Crow_Nest
04-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by jon_hill987
Nah, I think if there is gonna be another Jedi Knight game

Same here, there is a possiblity LC is gonna make another Jedi Knight game, but not in a long long time.....

TiE23
04-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Use Valve's Source engine with real time lighting. :D

TiE

toms
04-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Never mind real-time lighting... decent physics is where a game involving the force would really excel!

Joetheeskimo
04-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Finalnight
Anyone else see this on TFN.net

While in Imperial Remnant space, Kyle heard a rumor that the Sith had possibly survived all these years after Endor. Due to his personal experience with mysterious Sith magic on Drommund Kaas, Kyle took it upon himself to investigate after the invasion, following clues from Ord Sedra in the Clacis Sector to Yaga Minor, and finally striking out into the region known as the Cloak of the Sith. There's been no word from Kyle for some time, and it's feared that he's succumbed to the same fate as the Jedi Daye Azur-Jamin, who inexplicably disappeared during the Yuuzhan Vong War.

http://theforce.net/books/story/New_Kyle_Katarn_Info_at_WotC_91328.asp

You mean, "Jedi Knight 4"? Jedi Academy is considered Jedi Knight 3.

Anyway, it'd be really ncie to have another Jedi Knight. With Kyle as the main character again :D

•-BLaCKouT-•
04-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by toms
And i won't appoint my generals from proven failures simply because they bring Natalie Portman to kneel before me...
..although now i think about it...

Come on Toms, it was Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley.

Damn, it'd get my vote. :drool1:

B.

LukeKatarn
04-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
You mean, "Jedi Knight 4"? Jedi Academy is considered Jedi Knight 3. Muwhawhawhawhawhawhawha, that's what I said, but tehy didn't belive me! There is no hopes of JK THREE(:D :p) comeing out yet. As I said, expect 2,010ish.

El Sitherino
04-20-2005, 07:42 PM
JA is not JK3.

Show me where on the box it says Jedi Knight III.

jokemaster
04-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy

My experience with LucasForums, is that the elders of this community and respective owners, still have a VERY close relationship with LucasArts. Not to sound arrogant, but when WE know something, YOU will know something, and those who hold the rank of Supermod and higher, usually hear about these things before anyone else does.

Which is why we love you. Or at least I do, much as you try to ignore me.

JA is also mostly believed to be a spin-off, like Mysteries of the Sith, not a true sequel.

I'd like one of the following star wars games, or a combination of all of them:
1. What has been mentioned about a cross between Deus Ex and Star Wars, maybe start as a new (or perhaps old) republic recruit, and from there you can be a good soldier, go rouge and become a mercenary, smuggler or bounty hunter, become a jedi, betray the republic and become a soldier for whoever the bad guys are this time, become a sith on your own, toe the line between dark side and light side, becoming a kind of mercenary jedi?

2. An updated Rebellion, but it seems that I'm getting part of my wish with Empire At War

3. A SW game where you're not a jedi, but a normal rebel soldier, using the Source engine, or maybe the new Unreal one, follow his campaign as a soldier, in battles from everywhere from Corusant, to Corellia, to escaping from Yavin 4 and Hoth, etc.

lassev
04-21-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by toms
I don't see any Jedi Knight games coming up soon, i'm pretty sure they will be busy with the EP3 games for a while yet.

Although I'm no expert but I have seen no evidence LEC would think only one game on the market is the best approach. JO/JA were made by Raven, and I don't think it really took that much time or effort directly on LEC's part to handle those games. And as we have seen, LEC has been outsourcing games also after those two.

So, if Raven (or some other company) makes JK3, it wouldn't really affect that much the current level of LEC's busyness with other games.

toms
04-21-2005, 08:04 AM
But, if you had exiled Jar Jar for being, well, useless,accident prone and an idiot. Would you instantly promote him to general simply because he brought you natalie portman? Really? Not unless Boss Nass got more out of her that we saw on screen! ;)

--------------

People have been asking for a bounty hunter game for ages, thinking we'd get something like an FPS version of mechwarrior merchenaries. Instead we got SW Bounty Hunter. :(
People have been asking for a SW rebel soldier/stormtrooper game for ages, and what we got was Battlefront and Republic Commando :(

Empire at war looks lovely, but it sounds to me like a basic RTS. What i want is a Rebellion/Imperium Galactica/Civ style empire building game where you can take a small, primitive faction and develop it over the course of a few centuries to try and rule the galaxy... but set in the SW universe, with their techs, races, etc...
Galactic Civilisations, with the characters from rebellion and the graphics of Imperium Galactica 3.

----------

A deus Ex/Kotor style game would rock. It would be played first-person like deus-ex or JK.
You could put points into skills, weapons and the force. So if you put all your development into the force and your saber then your accuracy with ranged weapons would be terrible. Or you could put all your points into your pistol skill and become a crack shot (with or without force power).
Put points into charisma areas and get better options in conversations.
Put them into tech areas and be able to repair and upgrade items better. Build your own custom weapons (like han's overpowered pistol, or kyle's custom pistol) and sabers.
Boost your stealth or hacking skills. (make a ninja jedi! ;) ) and maybe even build your own custom droid companion.
Then set it between ep3 and 4, add in a few links to EU materials and characters like thrawn, threepio, the characters from the DROIDS cartoon :D

Joetheeskimo
04-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
JA is not JK3.

Show me where on the box it says Jedi Knight III.

I said, it was considered that. Some refer to JA as JK3.

Sabretooth
04-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by toms
Never mind real-time lighting... decent physics is where a game involving the force would really excel!

Completely. The Force, if depicted properly in SW games, will be so great, it'll put the best lightsabres to shambles. The next JK would do great with an ability to manipulate things. Imagine using ten-twenty metal crates, hovering them in the air and them ramming all of them precisely into a Stormtrooper group. Or maybe you can use things as a shield when dueling!

jokemaster
04-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by toms

Put them into tech areas and be able to repair and upgrade items better. Build your own custom weapons (like han's overpowered pistol, or kyle's custom pistol) and sabers.


And add a litttle bit Midnight Club 3 and allow you to buy and modify your ship!

Crow_Nest
04-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by toms
Never mind real-time lighting... decent physics is where a game involving the force would really excel!

Yeah phyiscs were left out in JA, but the ragdoll physics werent that fantastic either as they were a little buggy in JA.

I sure hope they do release another Jedi Knight game sooner or later

StormHammer
04-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by toms
A deus Ex/Kotor style game would rock. It would be played first-person like deus-ex or JK.
You could put points into skills, weapons and the force. So if you put all your development into the force and your saber then your accuracy with ranged weapons would be terrible. Or you could put all your points into your pistol skill and become a crack shot (with or without force power).
Put points into charisma areas and get better options in conversations.
Put them into tech areas and be able to repair and upgrade items better. Build your own custom weapons (like han's overpowered pistol, or kyle's custom pistol) and sabers.
Boost your stealth or hacking skills. (make a ninja jedi! ;) ) and maybe even build your own custom droid companion.
Then set it between ep3 and 4, add in a few links to EU materials and characters like thrawn, threepio, the characters from the DROIDS cartoon :D

I like this idea. I've thought along similar lines myself. You're hired.

Oh...I just remembered. I don't work for Lucasarts. :mad:

There definitely needs to be another JK game on the PC - using one of the new engines. It needs to have a new story, new characters, and places we've never been before. It needs excellent level design, intelligent AI, intuitive combat, the ability to use different tactics and follow different pathways to a common goal. It needs to be good.

Will this happen? Your guess is as good as mine.

Finalnight
04-25-2005, 01:22 AM
Update from Celebration III:
A panel recently closed at Celebration 3 which revealed details on the new post-NJO book series.

The title of the series was announced as being "Legacy of the Force". The era will be referred to as the "Legacy Era". The first book in the series by Aaron Allston will be entitled "Betrayal". There will be a hardback followed by two paperbacks, then that's repeated through the 9 books. The first is due in June 2006 with the others to follow every 3 months. The books will feature conflict stemming from "planetary interests that threaten peace" and Luke will be plagued by visions of "approaching darkness". Much of it will take place in the Outlands. The book covers a 2 - 3 year span and the main characters will be in their 60s which the authors referred to as "the new 40s".


A few other items of interest emerged. Troy Denning revealed that Kyle Katarn has a role in Dark Nest as well as the Chiss. Raynar will reappear in the book as well. He's just been MIA, not dead.

Astrotoy7
04-25-2005, 08:06 AM
compares Finalnights post to the first post... ???

I dont think Kyle being alive is a huge secret. He isnt dead at all, or MIA, having appeared on a few occasions in the njo :p

mtfbwya

toms
04-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I like this idea. I've thought along similar lines myself. You're hired.

Oh...I just remembered. I don't work for Lucasarts. :mad:

See! Just imagine what might have happened if anyone had listened to my ideas back on the Obi-wan or Jedi Outcast forums all those years ago!!! :D

(Well, to be hoest we'd probably still have got dissppointing games, but at least they would have been ambitious failures!)

1. Does anybody talented work for lucasarts anymore....? *remembers they are now run by their accounting/marketing manager*

2. Have more than about 8 people in the world bothered to read to the end of the NJO series and have a clue what is going on?

I'm currently rewatching DROIDS and for all its kid-friendly slapstick comedy it captures the feel of the original setting better than any of the recent books or games (except KOTOR). WHo would have thought it... :eek: :D