PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to Pope Benedict XVI.


IG-64
04-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Clicky. (http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=684079&page=1)

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany, a longtime confidante of John Paul II and guardian of doctrinal orthodoxy, was elected Tuesday as the new pontiff of the Roman Catholic church.

Funny thing is, in the cerimony, before the new pope was announced, I noticed Ratzinger, and was talking about him, and I even remembered his name. I didn't remember any of the other cardinals.

O_o

:p

ZBomber
04-19-2005, 06:22 PM
*XVI :)

And I already don't like him, he's against rock. :xp:

IG-64
04-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
*XVI :)

I was just about to fix that. :p

Dumb site. >_>

ZBomber
04-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Yeh, it was giving info about the XV, I was actually about to send a letter of complaint to the site. :p

But yeh, he's against modernization of the church, and I think that's bad for everyone. The church needs to get the kids involved, a lot of the other sections of Christianity (like Baptists) have the kids involved in a lot of church activities. I think the Roman Catholic church needs that too.

Tyrion
04-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Huh.

Benedict...where have I heard that before? Benedict...Arnold. Benedict Arnold.

Oh righto.

:(

IG-64
04-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Huh.

Benedict...where have I heard that before? Benedict...Arnold. Benedict Arnold.

Oh righto.

:(

XD

I thought about that.

Doesn't mean anything though. Theres already been 15 of them. :p

Acrylic
04-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
But yeh, he's against modernization of the church, and I think that's bad for everyone.

I actually disagree with that. I go to a catholic church, and I love the fact that everything is so old school. I think the church is at least 100 years old, with paintings on the wall, and whatnot. It's such a beautiful site. And I also like the whole idea of sitting, praying, and listening to the priest, instead of all that singing and dancing.

Maybe you're talking about something totally different.

But, I just stated my views.

ZBomber
04-19-2005, 06:57 PM
I agree with all of that. Modernazation as in getting kids involved. Like groups. I know Obi and RP are involved in some church groups like that, where they do different activities that kids actually like, and learn about God.

I also do not like the idea of dancing, but that's something else. ;)

Pie™
04-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Acrylic
I actually disagree with that. I go to a catholic church, and I love the fact that everything is so old school. I think the church is at least 100 years old, with paintings on the wall, and whatnot. It's such a beautiful site. And I also like the whole idea of sitting, praying, and listening to the priest, instead of all that singing and dancing.

Maybe you're talking about something totally different.

But, I just stated my views. I think he meant deeper than just "on the surface" things like that.

Vikinor
04-19-2005, 07:04 PM
If this dude is against rock........then lets hope we get a new pope soon. The bad thing is I'm Catholic and saying that. Is that a sin?

ZBomber
04-19-2005, 07:09 PM
I don't think so. It'd be like being an American and not liking the President. The Pope is there to give us guidlines on the way to live our life.

Besides, he looks like Palpatine.

And Larz - Check out your Aerosmith thread. ;)

Kurgan
04-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes, there's been a lot of Palpatine look-alike jokes going on the 'net so far.


"And as my first act, I shall create a Grand Army of the Vatican to counter the increasing threats of the Secularists..."

He's always been characterized as an arch-conservative, playing a kind of "good cop, bad cop" (good bishop, bad bishop?) role with John Paul II, but who knows. It could be that it's simply the job of the guy in charge of the Congregation to be strict and hardline. Being Pope is a different story. I hate to sound like GW, but hopefully he can be a "uniter and not a divider." He's just barely in office and already people are complaining against him (and the doomsayers are citing the prophecy of St. Malachy to say the end is nigh). We'll see how it goes.

What's in a Papal Name? (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7540353/?GT1=6428)

Anyway, congratulations Joe, you've got a hard act to follow. ;)

ZBomber
04-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeh, it's pretty freaky how everything is going toward that propechy. Anyone have a link to that?

I also heard he's the one who told John Kerry not to go for communion. Believe me, I'm against abortion AND John Kerry (:p), but I think that was really uncalled for.

RpTheHotrod
04-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Keep a close eye on him, heh.

IG-64
04-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Somehow I excpected, whoever the pope turned out to be, the "prophecy" would be "fulfilled".

But ah, we'll wait and see. ;)

Vikinor
04-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Separists get ready. :p


I think the worst thing for this guy will to do very poorly compared to John PaulII.

lukeiamyourdad
04-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Yeh, it's pretty freaky how everything is going toward that propechy. Anyone have a link to that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Malachy




On topic- Bah, bad thing. The catholic church needs to move forward, not backward.

TiE23
04-19-2005, 09:03 PM
:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/TASU4D4IT269LUYVEYR.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/palpatine_02.jpg

TiE

Kurgan
04-19-2005, 09:26 PM
For those interested...

St. Malachy (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09565a.htm)

Prophecies of St. Malachy (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12473a.htm#malachy)

ZBomber
04-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by TiE 23
:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/TASU4D4IT269LUYVEYR.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/palpatine_02.jpg

TiE

Seriously, as soon as they showed him, I IMed Pie and I was like "OMG THE NEW POPE IS PALPATINE!" :D

Kurgan
04-19-2005, 09:30 PM
He's also been compared to an "old Joe Pesci" and (I don't get this one) "Cliff from Cheers."

And the Cardinal that announced him today looked like the late Dave Thomas (of Wendy's fame).

Ah well... my late grandpa looked a lot like the last pope.

TiE23
04-19-2005, 09:45 PM
*Screams in horror*










http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/richarsimmons_is_pope.jpg
Mommy, Im scared.

TiE

Neverhoodian
04-19-2005, 09:56 PM
I honestly don't know much about the new pope. Still, I wonder why the cardinals appointed a relatively old person (the guy's 78 years old) to the position. It won't be long before they'll have to appoint another pope. Of course, maybe they just wanted a transitional pope, somebody to hold down the fort for a little while until another one is appointed.

Regardless, I hope he does a good job.

Kurgan
04-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Sweatin' to the Scriptures? *groan*

Mike Windu
04-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Shake it yeah! Shake that bubble butt!

:xp:

Jared
04-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by TiE 23
:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/TASU4D4IT269LUYVEYR.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/palpatine_02.jpg

TiE

well i guess this marks the beginning of the end people.

no but on another thought, I liked the old pope a bit better than him....

Kurgan
04-19-2005, 11:11 PM
On the other hand, if Ratzinger (as Benedict XVI) is really as ultra-conservative as his critics claim, I wonder if this means it'll attract the dissident "Traditionalists" back to the fold?

I guess if Mel Gibson comes back, that'll be a pretty good sign... ;)

ZBomber
04-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't think the next Pope will be like this. Or atleast, I hope not.

Kurgan
04-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
I don't think the next Pope will be like this. Or atleast, I hope not.

Are you referring to the Malachy prophecy? If it is literally true, then the world doesn't have much time left (considering how old the current Pope is). It'll all be over in 50 years or less (JP2 ruled for 26 years, the Pope before him lasted a little over a month)! But there's some doubt as to the authenticity of the prophecy. I guess it's up to you to decide what you believe...

lukeiamyourdad
04-19-2005, 11:35 PM
We'll eventually find out.

Sabretooth
04-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Well, I knew it would be Ratzinger, the Panzercardinel. Maybe now they'll call him the Panzerpope.

Heh.

Hermie
04-20-2005, 04:35 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WORLD/europe/04/19/pope.tuesday/story.pope.benedict.02.jpg
Anybody want to photoshop Vader and imp. officers in there?

Darth Groovy
04-20-2005, 05:32 AM
Pope Benedict XVI...

Sorry, but that just sounds like something that should be on the breakfast menu next to Belgian Waffles, at any given local diner.

*runs off dodging tomatoes and rotten veggies from the catholics*

Darth Rythe
04-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Hello Pope Benedict the 16th

toms
04-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Still, I wonder why the cardinals appointed a relatively old person (the guy's 78 years old) to the position. It won't be long before they'll have to appoint another pope. Of course, maybe they just wanted a transitional pope, somebody to hold down the fort for a little while until another one is appointed.

Or they have gotten used to having a pope that was old and imobilised for a long time, and wanted another one... so they could run things themselves...

It was pretty clear that whoever got elected was going to be hard line... but since i already disliked the last pope for being too hardline, i won't say what i think about the new pope... :D

RebelScum!
04-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Yeh, it was giving info about the XV, I was actually about to send a letter of complaint to the site. :p

But yeh, he's against modernization of the church, and I think that's bad for everyone. The church needs to get the kids involved, a lot of the other sections of Christianity (like Baptists) have the kids involved in a lot of church activities. I think the Roman Catholic church needs that too.

Well said ;).

ZBomber
04-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
Pope Benedict XVI...

Sorry, but that just sounds like something that should be on the breakfast menu next to Belgian Waffles, at any given local diner.

*runs off dodging tomatoes and rotten veggies from the catholics*

Don't worry, I don't think any of us Catholic in this thread diasgree with you. ;)

Black Knight of Keno
04-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Hmh... I'll be waiting for Pope Dave I :D
Wouldn't it be fun to have the messenger of god named Dave?

God, I love being an atheist... :rolleyes:

Vikinor
04-20-2005, 04:23 PM
I don't know a lot about this new Pope, but I don't really like him. I guess I am just too used to John Paul II. I heard this dude is a Pope who likes it old school. If that's the case I'm going goth. Goth + Catholic = Gotholic :p Oh yea I know how to add words. Now I just need to work on my math. :eek:

RebelScum!
04-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Darth Tepe
Hmh... I'll be waiting for Pope Dave I :D
Wouldn't it be fun to have the messenger of god named Dave?

God, I love being an atheist... :rolleyes:

:lol:...you can still be a christian and not give a care about that pope...what is with those "special holy" names anyway...just a bunch of bull.

Pie™
04-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
a Pope who likes it old school. ...

You have no idea how nasty that sounds in my mind. :eek:

TiE23
04-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Are you referring to the Malachy prophecy? If it is literally true, then the world doesn't have much time left (considering how old the current Pope is). It'll all be over in 50 years or less (JP2 ruled for 26 years, the Pope before him lasted a little over a month)! But there's some doubt as to the authenticity of the prophecy. I guess it's up to you to decide what you believe...

Yah, doesn't look good, cause the next step has something to do with St. Benadict, and Olives?
Next stop, apperently Satan!
http://www.crystalinks.com/papalprophecies.html
Look at the bottom of the page, the newb is old and might die soon. *BUM BUM BUM!!*

Originally posted by VikingLarz
Goth + Catholic = Gotholic :p
Oo, I got ones,
Goth + Catholic + Alcoholic = Gothacothaholic :p

TiE

Vikinor
04-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Pie™
...

You have no idea how nasty that sounds in my mind. :eek:

Then you have a nasty mind.:xp:

Goth + Catholic + Alcoholic = Gothacothaholic

It appears that I'm not the only one who can add letters here.

toms
04-21-2005, 08:11 AM
I dunno what kind of coverage he's been getting in the press abroad, but over here it's been mostly skeptical/negative... talking about him being hardline, or his past, or that he might split the church.
Not a good start, he's gonna have to work some to get liked i think.

I saw a funny interview with a cardial who said something like: "We cannot apply the matrix of past actions to the future reality of his new role". :D
Love it that cardinals talk like politicians! :D

WASHINGTON -- German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, played an indirect role in the 2004 U.S. campaign when he directed Catholic bishops to deny Communion to abortion rights supporters such as Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

But Kerry, a lifelong Catholic and former altar boy, declined to criticize the new pontiff Wednesday.

"The election of a new pope is a great moment of hope, renewal and possibility for the Catholic Church," Kerry said in a statement.

Ratzinger, head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, wrote a letter last June to U.S. bishops stating that Catholics who support abortion rights are guilty of a "grave sin" and are unworthy of Communion.

Although he did not mention Kerry or any other person by name, it was widely viewed that he was referring to Kerry when he said the sacrament should be denied in "the case of a Catholic politician consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws."

Further, his letter said any Catholic who votes for such a candidate is likewise "unworthy."

However, "Not all moral issues have the same moral weight as abortion and euthanasia," Ratzinger wrote. Disagreeing with the pope "on the application of capital punishment or on the decision to wage war" would not make someone unworthy to receive Communion.

Vikinor
04-21-2005, 05:39 PM
I have a bad feeling about this......

TiE23
04-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Hmmm, people remember seeing the Family Guy episode were Peter's dad visits. If he became the pope, he would probably be like Ratzinger. :p

TiE

ZBomber
04-21-2005, 07:04 PM
"Ah Jesus, looks like you missed that shot!"
"Or did I? Ba... ba... ba... boo yah!"

Dagobahn Eagle
04-22-2005, 06:27 PM
This is more of a debate than a discussion, and should really be moved to the Chambers (and merged with the other Pope thread).

He looks more like the Palpatine in Ep 3 than the one in Ep 6, really.

Silent_Thunder
05-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Where can I get one of those hats?