Joetheeskimo
04-22-2005, 09:18 AM
BATTLEFRONT 2!!!!!!!!!!

This is probably already posted, but heck, I'm too excited to care :D

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefrontii/indexFlash.html#Home

Take a look at those graphics! :cheers:

RebelScum!
04-22-2005, 09:22 AM
:rock: Thats awesome dude! Can't wait, im so going to buy this game. Loved the first one.

Pie™
04-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Looks more like an expansion to me, nothing much seems changed. :/

Joetheeskimo
04-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Pie™

Fine, Mr. Optimistic :p, besides, they still haven't released much information besides screenies, so there's really no way to tell yet. I think if it didn't have a lot of new features, they'd call it Battlefront Expansion, not II.

Sabretooth
04-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Meh. I personally don't have much hopes for this series, unless they make it real good like CoD.

swphreak
04-22-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm going to wait til it hits the bargain bin, and possibly not even bother to get it. All they're doing is making new maps, and screwing the game up by adding Jedi. Nothing special. Pandemic fails at Star Wars, but Mercenaries was awesome though.

toms
04-22-2005, 10:48 AM
must actually get around to playing the first one. Its been sat on my xbox for months now, and after a few hours of inital play (and disappointment) i've never even touched it.

Maybe it'll grow on me.... if i EVER finish Ninja Gaiden... :mad:

Khmara
04-22-2005, 11:38 AM
I'll buy it, play it, and likely love it. But then exepting the last two movies(some battles excluded) I love anything star wars.

txa1265
04-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Aw c'mon, the first one ROCKED!!!!

... ummm ...

Oh, wait, no it didn't.

... maybe this one will ... but it will sit on a shelf not being bought by me, just like Empire at War.

Mike

Crow_Nest
04-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
BATTLEFRONT 2!!!!!!!!!!

This is probably already posted, but heck, I'm too excited to care :D

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefrontii/indexFlash.html#Home

Take a look at those graphics! :cheers:

Yeah i read the preview on the May issue of PC Gamer. Looks pretty awesome! But the graphics look similar to Battlefront 1. But at least this time you get to fly X-Wings in space. :D

ET Warrior
04-22-2005, 12:27 PM
If I do ANYTHING with this game I'm going to rent it, and find out if it sucks like the first one.

MAN that game was a disappointment.

Dagobahn Eagle
04-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Well, because it's an arcade title with no real learning curve or complexity, and the ultry-simplistic flight physics, and the fact that for some reason you can play as a Jedi - not to mention that they ripped Galactic Conquest off - I'm not getting it.

Too true. Graphics are the same strange blur, flight physics are identical (except you can apparently do some weird-looking spin now), the classes are identical, and the stupid over-powered Jedi are still in.

I think if it didn't have a lot of new features, they'd call it Battlefront Expansion, not II.
As they should. And there are tonnes of "sequels" out there that don't really add anything - I don't see a reason why SWBF can't be.

Arcade-players might like it, but I know I don't. I prefer innovative titles which reward experience and skill.

Take a look at those graphics!
I just did. They're the same blurry old graphics that turned so many people away from Battlefront I. "Like playing with a woman's stocking over your head", someone called it.

Flashbacks of Hoth comes to mind - a strange sun that looks like something out of a cartoon, the turrets firing some sort of yellow orb that looks like I-don't-know-what, and Wookies, women with way-too-little clothing for such a cold environment, and Dark troopers running around where they don't belong.

Yeah, look at those graphics:rolleyes: .

Neverhoodian
04-22-2005, 01:32 PM
In a way, I'm not suprised, what with Episode III just around the corner.

It looks like they're trying to improve the single player experience this time around. That was the one major reason why I didn't buy the first one. With a computer too slow to run Battlefront, and no Xbox Live, I decided that Battlefront's MP-focused gameplay just didn't sound that appealing. Now I'm glad that I waited. I'll keep an eye on this one and see how it turns out.

Tokarev
04-22-2005, 01:41 PM
It's just a BF1942 clone... Nothing special here...

Mex
04-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Jedi fail at Star Wars Battlefront. Not buying.

Rogue15
04-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Halo 2 MP>Battlefront

Dagobahn Eagle
04-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Surely you must mean Battlefield 2 over Battlefront;).. Or Battlefront 2, for that matter.

Nalukai
04-22-2005, 03:36 PM
JEDI!!!!!!!!!!!!! <snaps fingers> maybe they should put a cap on the amount per team or even make 1 random player on team a hero like first one... it just said the opportunity to be one not that you can choose it.. however they do need to cap the number or it will turn into a saber fest like JA siege.

TK-8252
04-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Not interested.

Like ET and Eagle and such have said...

It's just a crappy $50 expansion pack. It's like the first one was a beta, and now they're releasing the final product. That's basically charging $100 for one complete game - sounds like a rip-off to me. And they've totally messed it up by adding Jedi (and not just in the Clone Wars mind you, even to the Tantive IV).

They haven't fixed ANY of the crap (yet), like the "Pilot" class being a medic/engineer/support class all in one carrying a huge grenade launcher, Dark Troopers in battles before they even existed, etc. All they've done is hyped it up with space battles (wooo, like it's never been done before), Episode III content (new clone models and new maps; things that could be done easily by modders) and Jedi - which totally defies the whole point of the game (and BF1 was already set up for Jedi, even Force Powers, so the devs haven't done anything new). The only actual work they've done is made new maps and clone models. Not worth $50.

I'd rather just wait for modders to make a class-based objective-based multiplayer mode for Republic Commando. The physics are so much better.

Dagobahn Eagle
04-22-2005, 05:12 PM
It's just a crappy $50 expansion pack. It's like the first one was a beta, and now they're releasing the final product. That's basically charging $100 for one complete game - sounds like a rip-off to me.
Makes me think about that Civ III expansion pack, "Conquests". The one-scenario "campaigns" were OK, but that's all it really added. But my major gripe was that Play the World, too, was on the disk, which makes me feel cheated as I already owned PTW and now had to pay for it again.

They haven't fixed ANY of the crap (yet), like the "Pilot" class being a medic/engineer/support class all in one carrying a huge grenade launcher, Dark Troopers in battles before they even existed, etc.
I agree (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147740) with all my heart regarding the pilot class. And don't get me started on the Dark Troopers: Not only don't they fit in, they've also been nerfed big time from the giants of death they once were to just another infantry class. Sad.

RoxStar
04-22-2005, 07:35 PM
I read an article that said "This was the game the devs wanted to make". Seems like a waste to have bought the buggy as hell original Battlefront. Oh well, I hope this one makes up for it.

Curt-Man
04-22-2005, 08:00 PM
i don't like the idea of jedi, unless they were unplayable like the first one, but they aren't. i am so buying this game, i rented the first and was craving it for so long after i gave it back!

Dagobahn Eagle
04-22-2005, 08:29 PM
I don't know, I found Jedi pretty pointless. This near-invincible guy killing everything in his path, and there's no real reason for killing him as he'll come back only a few moments later.

Derc
04-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority. :o Yeah, I'm interested. I LIKED Battlefront, so sue me.

Any game with the Millennium Falcon in it is a winner to me. :D

Sabretooth
04-23-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm seriously against the whole Jedi idea. Battlefront was supposed to be like a break from the JK series. It was supposed to tell you how it felt like to play as a lesser soldier in an army, not a sabre-swinging Jedi who gets all the attention and credits. Now they allow the players to be a Jedi! That has dropped Battlefront's image in from my mind.

StormHammer
04-23-2005, 12:38 AM
I finally caved in and bought Battlefront.

I played it online and offline.

I'd like to say I was impressed...but I can't.

I went back to playing Call Of Duty online...one of the best MP games I've played, and one that has held my attention for months.

If Battlefront II is just more of the same, I won't buy it.

Darth Groovy
04-23-2005, 01:47 AM
My ONLY problem with the first one, was the miserable lag on the XBOX live side, and it's repetition in the SP maps. Other than that, the game DID deliver, and I refuse to sell it off for that reason. There is NOTHING cooler than jumping into an AT-AT, and stomping on something. NOTHING.

Rogue15
04-23-2005, 02:10 AM
the game did have its moments.....i bought it the day it came out. only game that lets me drive an AT-AT. :( the geonosis battle and all the naboo levels are good. I just wish it would've been as smooth as Halo 2. I try to freakin snipe, and it's liek chop chop choppity chop, YOU HAVE BEEN PWNED...kinda lame. I might get it on PC, but i doubt it. been playing way too much Galaxies. :)

Prime
04-23-2005, 02:49 AM
Good to see they are finally getting around to finishing Battlefront...

Crow_Nest
04-23-2005, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle
I just did. They're the same blurry old graphics that turned so many people away from Battlefront I. "Like playing with a woman's stocking over your head", someone called it.

Its not blurry, its just the glowing bloom effect which you see in most games today.

But they should have at least made a video option to turn it on or off

Dagobahn Eagle
04-23-2005, 06:48 AM
I'm seriously against the whole Jedi idea. Battlefront was supposed to be like a break from the JK series. It was supposed to tell you how it felt like to play as a lesser soldier in an army, not a sabre-swinging Jedi who gets all the attention and credits. Now they allow the players to be a Jedi! That has dropped Battlefront's image in from my mind.
Exactly. It's supposed to show you what it's like to be a low-rank grunt or pilot or tank driver - not a Jedi.

Its not blurry, its just the glowing bloom effect which you see in most games today.
Yes, it's blurry. And I've never seen it in any game besides Battlefront.

ET Warrior
04-23-2005, 12:28 PM
The gameplay of Battlefront was severely lacking aswell. I stopped playing because it really seemed like skill was not even an option for playing good. The only thing to do was pull the trigger as FAST AS YOU CAN..

It was one big twitch fest, like playing a fighting game where you don't know any moves so you just mash the buttons like a mofo.

I cannot think of any games I've enjoyed less recently.

Crow_Nest
04-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

Yes, it's blurry. And I've never seen it in any game besides Battlefront.

Alot of games such as Brothers in Arms and Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell has it now. But painkiller uses SM3.0

LightNinja
04-23-2005, 01:01 PM
i hate battlefront just bcuz i bought it instead of HL2 (yes >.<) and i just played it a week becausei found it uncomplete and online unplayable :mad:
So i dont mind how good is the new one but battlefield 2 will be much better than this game and will have great mods like bf1942 has now.

Evil Dark Jedi
04-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Battlefront with jedi is all it is. Except for the new levels.

Yes I am back for good this time

Joetheeskimo
04-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi
Yes I am back for good this time

w00tzors. :indif: Where were you?

Curt-Man
04-23-2005, 10:38 PM
i hate battlefront just bcuz i bought it instead of HL2

HUH? battlefornt was better than halo 2, halo 2 was a major dissapointment. i don't know why you guys hated that game so much, it delivered very much fun and smiling happiness. but i'm pissed that they brought jedi into it, like come fricken on! that is all, before i get angry and start flaming :p

swphreak
04-24-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Curt-Man
HUH? battlefornt was better than halo 2, halo 2 was a major dissapointment. i don't know why you guys hated that game so much, it delivered very much fun and smiling happiness. but i'm pissed that they brought jedi into it, like come fricken on! that is all, before i get angry and start flaming :p

I think he was referring to half-Life 2. Halo 2 usually doesn't have an acronym since it's shorter than Half-Life 2. And no, Halo 2 is far sperior to Battlefront. As someone who think HL2 is not the best game ever, I also think it is better than Battlefront too.

Evil Dark Jedi
04-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
w00tzors. :indif: Where were you?

In a dark dark place called my room with the xbox and on my computer with this strangely addicting game.

manoman81
04-24-2005, 02:39 PM
I don't know about this one... I mean I like the first one and the mods that people are puttingout for it are a lot of fun. I am worried about the number of jedi that will be running around. I wish that they would have put in more npc jedi, instead of one or two per level and they don't even fight 99% of the time when they run into each other head on. One thing I do hope they put in is more commands that can be used to order AI teammates. I wdon't know how many times I could have used a "fire on my target" command. I'm intrigued, but really hesitant at the moment.

lukeiamyourdad
04-25-2005, 12:50 AM
The first game felt like BF1942 for dummies.

I was dissapointed, but Battlefront 1 was still fun to a certain degree. The gameplay was really lackng, everything was dumbed down, no depth at all.

The news of a second title is even more of a slap in the face. Developers stating that this is the game they originally wanted to make...

And the Jedi...they claim they read the forums...listened to the community, yet the big majority of the community seems against the inclusion of Jedi...

So screw this game...

Khmara
04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
C'mon. I know the first had a lot of issues, but we would'nt play it that much if we truely hated it that much. And sure the second will be a glorified expansion, but everyone addicted to the first will eventually breakdown and get the 2nd, human nature. And yes, the jedi do suck. But they are saying that it is restricted levels only that you can use them on. so who knows, they may have anticipated how much no one wanted them.

toms
04-25-2005, 10:28 AM
The first one seemed to have a lot of potential, but just to be too dumbed down in most areas.

Some of the things you could do (like ATAT driving) were great, but most just didn't live up to your expectations.

Still, the MAJOR dissapointment to me was the lack of tactical options and ability to command your AI teammates.

If you could have formed up in squads, given useful orders and objectives and coordingated attacks then it could have been pretty fun. Otherwise it just became a big deathmatch with no tactical depth.

The physics for the Ships and speeders was useless as well.

And some of the balancing seemed off, as the Dark Troopers were useless.

AND that annoying bloom effect made it damn hard to pick you targets at a distance!

---

If they are gonna ut in things lika AI jedi then they should make them single use items (a bit like air strikes) that you can "play" at a certain time to try and turn the tide of the battle.

----

So: turn off the bloom, improve the tactical commands, make respawns in "rounds" like RTCW, improve physics, balance the support classes.... THEN, if you have time, worry about things like jedi.

El Sitherino
04-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
And the Jedi...they claim they read the forums...listened to the community, yet the big majority of the community seems against the inclusion of Jedi...
Look at the lucasarts forums, full of whiny jedi fanboys.

lukeiamyourdad
04-25-2005, 11:36 AM
I avoid it like the plague. Whenever I happen to visit it, it's for technical help but even then, I have to go through 10000000 pages of whining.

El Sitherino
04-25-2005, 11:38 AM
I avoid it like the plague. Whenever I happen to visit it, it's for technical help but even then, I have to go through 10000000 pages of whining. Exactly. They see all this craptastic whining.

ET Warrior
04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Khmara
C'mon. I know the first had a lot of issues, but we would'nt play it that much if we truely hated it that much.

People still play it? O_o

Prime
04-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Exactly. They see all this craptastic whining. And when decisions are based in said whining, you end up with horrible changes, a la JO.

Originally posted by ET Warrior
People still play it? O_o Judging from everything I've seen (forums and server/player counts, they don't.

Evil Dark Jedi
04-26-2005, 04:06 AM

They do on Xbox. Well some people. Anyway Ill get BF II. Why you ask. Well I have the first one may aswell get the second. Anyway they may not rush it this time.

Dagobahn Eagle
04-26-2005, 08:58 AM
That's the truth, friend, that's the truth.

"Spawning" was another huge gripe of mine with Battlefront. It seemed to go out of its way to encourage control point camping. Not only were the spawn times fixed to one second, but vehicles were also unable to capture control points, meaning this tank would sit there for ages waiting for infantry support.

Which brings me to my second point: Why were there so few options? Why couldn't I set ticket count, "spawn" time, number of players/bots, TK mode, and so on?

I avoid it like the plague. Whenever I happen to visit it, it's for technical help but even then, I have to go through 10000000 pages of whining.
Sadly, whining works. It worked for the Jedi wannabes playing Galaxies and it worked for the Jedi wannabes playing SWBF 2:(.

Khmara
04-26-2005, 07:37 PM

Yes people still play it. I play it still all the time and I agree with all the things you guys say are wrong with it. And I must not be alone because I have never logged on and been the only guy playing it. Most nights it is easier to creat a server than try to join one, and I am sure that despite the many, many problems that come with the second one it will be the same. True fnas are suckers for punishment with Star Wars. There have'nt really been that many games that you could'nt sit there and make a huge list of Everything They Could Have Done Different. It's just the way it goes.

lukeiamyourdad
04-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Of course we could make a huge list of games in which we think if some element was done differently, it would've been better.
The size of the list of a single game is what matters.

Syzerian
04-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Its just that many people expected it to be something its not.
Alot of people thought "I like battlefield so Ill like this game" but what they got was an unrealistic arcady game. I expected it to be just like siege in JA but without jedi and thats pretty much what I got so I was delighted.
There are still things that I think need to be fixed like starfighters being overpowered aswell as pilots.
I just really like arcady games and would squeel with delight if a new rollcage game was made. So far the only thing I can see wrong with swbf2 is the jedi but Im sure that can be modded out :)

Crow_Nest
04-27-2005, 11:18 AM

Strange, i didnt felt like i was playing BF1942 the first time playing Battlefront 1.

Didnt like BF1942 though, found it too boring.

StormHammer
04-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Syzerian
I expected it to be just like siege in JA but without jedi and thats pretty much what I got so I was delighted.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there. In my view, Siege mode in JA is far, far better realised than what Battlefront offers. For one thing, there is proper objective based level design, which is similar in a way to Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. You have to complete an objective to progress through the map, and the spawn points move with you automatically. It is more structured, and therefore more tactical.

I would also have to say the level design in Siege is far superior to the level design in Battlefront, which is too open and leaves you without enough cover.

This is one of the reasons why it becomes simply a button mashing contest - who fires quickest and dodges best wins, because there is no real cover to set up a defensive position.

Battlefront is set up more like 'domination' in that you simply go after control points on the map.

It's sad that Siege for JA wasn't more popular, because in terms of gameplay it beats Battlefront hands down. If Battlefront II was more like JA Siege, then it could actually be a good game.

LightNinja
04-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Khmara
And sure the second will be a glorified expansion
an expansion of 60 bucks? no thanks, i won't buy it, i mean, just compare it with Battlefield 2, the grafics and effects...even Battlefield 2 will have a huge list of mods included Galatic conquest (Star Wars mod), and that combined with the possibilities of modding Battlefield 2 (more and better than bf1) you'll buy a game but you will have acces to more than one, so for me, thats what i want from a game.

Prime
04-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Syzerian
unrealistic arcady That is one of the better descriptions of Star Wars that I have seen. I think that is why I love it. :)

Dagobahn Eagle
04-28-2005, 03:21 PM
That is one of the better descriptions of Star Wars that I have seen. I think that is why I love it.
"Arcady" as in "simple" instead of "advanced". Battlefront is so ridiculously simple that even a four year-old girl in a coma can learn to play it.

Curt-Man
04-28-2005, 04:10 PM
its not how simple or how hard it is, its how much bragging you can do to your friends after you've killed them 50 times over and your still on your first storm trooper :p plus, it was good wholesome multiplayer fun, you guys take things too deep.

lukeiamyourdad
04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
No, we merely like games that are deep and not just a surface shot of what it could be.

Dagobahn Eagle
04-29-2005, 07:23 AM
Exactly. I personally prefer deep, very realistic and very complex games with a rewarding learning curve over a shallow game that's really easy to learn and has very few complicated features.