PDA

View Full Version : So, anyone like The Beatles?

Vikinor
05-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Well, I just learned about The Beatles in school today. I have this music class where we learn about American popular music. It's a six week class and it's almost over, but I have learned a lot about the United States' history of music.

Well anyway today I heard The Beatles and I actually listened to the music (I had heard it before, but never really listened) and I loved it instantly. So now I am curious. Are there any other Beatles fans here at LF?

Pie™
05-16-2005, 09:41 PM
I hope you realize that The Beatles were a Liverpool band, therefore from the United Kingdom. :indif:

Tyrion
05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
Well, I just learned about The Beatles in school today. I have this music class where we learn about American popular music. It's a six week class and it's almost over, but I have learned a lot about the United States' history of music.

Well anyway today I heard The Beatles and I actually listened to the music (I had heard it before, but never really listened) and I loved it instantly. So now I am curious. Are there any other Beatles fans here at LF?

Do I like the beatles?

OMG TEH YEES!

What albums have you listened to so far?

I hope you realize that The Beatles were a Liverpool band, therefore from the United Kingdom.

They still had a very large impact on the music history in the US(besides, that's where they were introduced to certain mind enhancements...)

Vikinor
05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Well they did get popular over here in the United States.

TheMadDoofer
05-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Oh dear, never purposely listended to The Beatles before? How old are you, and what music-devoid hole have you been in?

But seriously, glad you like them-they rule.:p

Mike Windu
05-16-2005, 09:49 PM
The Beatles are about as cool as My Chemical Romance...:rolleyes:

<3 beatles; let it be... :p

Acrylic
05-16-2005, 09:59 PM
You JUST learned about the Beatles?

Meaning you never heard them before?

Meaning you've been missing out on some of the greatest music of all time?

*tear for you*
:(

El Sitherino
05-16-2005, 10:11 PM
...:explode:

I can't think of any words to describe this horrendous crime.

Anyway, yes. I love The Beatles.

ZBomber
05-16-2005, 10:15 PM
How did you Aerosmith report go, Larz? :D Hope I helped you get a good grade :D

The Beatles are awesome. I'm not ALWAYS in the mood for them, but 95% of the time, Beatles = Hell Yes. ;)

Squee-sithguy
05-16-2005, 11:12 PM
The Beatles ROCK

My favorite album is Abbey road. (Little known fact: "Abbey Road" was the last RECORDED album of The Beatles, not "Let it be", Let it be was just released in america a tad late)

The White album is also awsome. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is one of the best songs The Beatles made, clearly George Harrison in his prime.

But I cant pick favorites, everything Beatles is AWSOME

lukeiamyourdad
05-16-2005, 11:14 PM
I AM THE WALRUS \o/

nuff said. :D

Vikinor
05-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Yup. We took class notes and titled them "The British Invasion."
I have heard of them before, but I never really listened to their songs.

And ZBomber I haven't given the presentation yet, but thanks to you I have more than enough information. And I even got a music sample for extra credit. I got their album "Toys in the Attic" from my dad.

Tyrion
05-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Squee-sithguy

The White album is also awsome. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is one of the best songs The Beatles made, clearly George Harrison in his prime.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps also had Eric Clapton on guitar, so that's why it's so kickass. Even though I think Something is a much better Harrison song.

My all time favorite Beatles song has to be A Day in the Life on Sgt. Pepper's. Simply majestic, and Lennon's vocals are almost orgasmic.

Acrylic
05-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Since we're talking about our favorite Beatle's songs, I'd have to say "Cry Baby Cry" off of the White album.

*cough*Lennon>McCartney*cough*

I also really like "Girl", but it's not in my top favorites.

Konar
05-17-2005, 04:35 AM
Even though they're kinda fuddy duddy, Beatles music still sounds pretty sweet.

*starts singing, "Oh Let it be, let it be...*

txa1265
05-17-2005, 08:06 AM
It's funny ... when I was a kid there was a big thing that some famous kid (or kid of a famous person ...) who, when asked about the Beatles, answered "You mean Paul McCartney was in a band *before* Wings?"

Of course, that was when Wings had tons of hits, so it must have been 74 or 75 ...

Now if you mention Wings you get :confused:

My brother was a much bigger Beatles fan than I, but my taste has always ranged a bit to the avante ... I like their mid-60's stuff like Rubber Soul & Revolver quite a bit, as well as a smattering of their later stuff. Still have some of it and some L&M solo stuff on my iPod.

Mike

jon_hill987
05-17-2005, 08:15 AM
What? no one has had the guts to say they don't yet?

Well I don't like the beatles. I apprechiate that they were vey talented but it just ain't my thing.

toms
05-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by jon_hill987
What? no one has had the guts to say they don't yet?

Not surprised.... :D

beastles: http://halley.lunarpages.com/~djbc002/beastles/
:D :cool:

ZBomber
05-17-2005, 04:32 PM
I have three Beatles CDs (Rubber Soul, Hard Days Night, One) and two vinyls (The Red and Blue Greatest Hit LPs). :)

Acrylic
05-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
I have three Beatles CDs (Rubber Soul, Hard Days Night, One) and two vinyls (The Red and Blue Greatest Hit LPs). :)

I recommend The White Album, and Abbey Road alot. Great music.

*cough*Talk to me on MSN. ;) *cough*

Black Knight of Keno
05-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Meh... Yellow submarine, anyone?

Of course I like them... I'ts only the thing that my dad was born bour 58 years ago, and so I've listened at least 13˝ years for Beatles...
I still have times when I need the songs to calm personal emotions, but otherwise, I'm sick of 'em...

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely hearts club band! w00t!
\o/

Vikinor
05-17-2005, 05:23 PM
I like Yellow Submarine, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Come Together, I Want to Hold Your Hand, and Hey Jude. Those are the only ones I can name at the moment. Anyone know where you can find some of their albums?

Acrylic
05-17-2005, 05:26 PM
I like Yellow Submarine, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Come Together, I Want to Hold Your Hand, and Hey Jude. Those are the only ones I can name at the moment. Anyone know where you can find some of their albums?

Record stores...

....or torrent sites....but I won't go there. :p

Vikinor
05-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Record stores? You mean the big black circles that were before my time? :p

Lorden Darkblade
05-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Acrylic
You JUST learned about the Beatles?

Meaning you never heard them before?

Meaning you've been missing out on some of the greatest music of all time?

*tear for you*
:(
Nothing more to add after this :thumbsup:

Tyrion
05-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Record stores? You mean the big black circles that were before my time? :p

That's vinyl, to be specific. Vinyl or cd, it doesn't matter as they are still a record of the music.

Neverhoodian
05-18-2005, 12:16 AM
I hope this isn't what getting old feels like. I can see it now...

The music kids listen to these days, it's all noise I tell ya! The Beatles, though...now THAT was REAL music! :p

Tyrion
05-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
I hope this isn't what getting old feels like. I can see it now...

The music kids listen to these days, it's all noise I tell ya! The Beatles, though...now THAT was REAL music! :p

I'm 14, Zed and Acrylic are 15. The Beatles live on in each generation...

Acrylic
05-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Tyrion
I'm 14, Zed and Acrylic are 15. The Beatles live on in each generation...

I'm 16. :p

Mike Windu
05-18-2005, 12:43 AM
15 and diggin the Beatles.. :p

Rogue Nine
05-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Worst band evar.

Sage for lameness.

<3

toms
05-18-2005, 08:21 AM
If you kids are after something more modern than those oldfashioned cd thingies then you may be in trouble.

For some reason the beatles won't let ANY of their music on ANY of the download sites. So the only online options for fans are either p2p or *cough*allofmp3dotcom*cough*. :(

Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road are the best. White album, revolver and rubber soul are cool. Or you could get those two red and blue double-disc best-of sets.

I think one advantage that beatles had was that they went out on top, not hanginf around like the rolling stones or other bands of that time.

Back when foriegn people listened to british music... sigh... good times...

Konar
05-18-2005, 08:30 AM

You LIKE YELLOW SUBMARINE????!??

- Possibly only their worst song ever. You do realise they were all drugged up when they produced it... figures when you listen to their song.

Come together is awesome and so is Hey Jude. You like Ticket to Ride? - another classic. And how about "Juju was a man who thought he was a woman..." :)

El Sitherino
05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Konar
You LIKE YELLOW SUBMARINE????!??

- Possibly only their worst song ever.

Bull****.

You do realise they were all drugged up when they produced it... figures when you listen to their song. So were 98% of bands during that time when making songs. And I fail to see how that makes a song suck, especially a happy song like Yellow Submarine.

It's also one of their most famous songs.

ET Warrior
05-18-2005, 03:06 PM
And how about "Juju was a man who thought he was a woman..." :)

That would be the song "Get Back" and it is "JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner".

Yellow submarine is a pretty decent song, but I can't believe nobody has listed Yesterday as their favorite beatles song...either that or Let it Be...those two songs rock my face.

LightNinja
05-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
While My Guitar Gently Weeps also had Eric Clapton on guitar, so that's why it's so kickass. Even though I think Something is a much better Harrison song.

My all time favorite Beatles song has to be A Day in the Life on Sgt. Pepper's. Simply majestic, and Lennon's vocals are almost orgasmic.

there are 2 versions, the one that comes with the CD that is played by the beatles and another one live played by Eric Clapton and George Harrison, and they are different (the same lyrics tho). IMO is the best harrison song, i just got tired of "something" and "here comes the sun".

Anyway my favorite ones are:
Strawberry fields
Something
I am the Warlus
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Free as a Bird
A hard Days night
In my life
A Day in the Life
Hello Goodbye
Lady Madonna
Lovely Rita
I'm so tired
I'll be Back
Here comes the Sun
Cry Baby Cry
Blackbird
And some more :p

And yes I LIKE THE BEATLES! just look my sig ;)

lukeiamyourdad
05-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by toms
Back when foriegn people listened to british music... sigh... good times...

:wavey:

I listen to more modern british music.

ZBomber
05-18-2005, 06:10 PM
If anything, drugs ENHANCED the quality of music. Take 70's Aerosmith for example.

El Sitherino
05-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
I can't believe nobody has listed Yesterday as their favorite beatles song...either that or Let it Be...those two songs rock my face. I can't believe anyone can list a single song as their definitive favourite.

They're all good, for whatever mood your in.

Originally posted by ZBomber
If anything, drugs ENHANCED the quality of music. Take 70's Aerosmith for example. Listen to White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane, without any substances you find yourself having a bit of a trip.

Vikinor
05-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
Worst band evar.

Sage for lameness.

<3

:eek: :eek: :eek:
and evar?

Anyway I have some more favorites. I'll just list the ones im listening to right now.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Can't Buy Me Love
Come Together
From Me to You
Get Back
Help!
Hey Jude
I Want to Hold Your Hand
She Loves You
Twist and Shout
Yellow Submarine

Acrylic
05-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Listen to White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane, without any substances you find yourself having a bit of a trip.

I always kinda sit in a daze when I listen to that song.

Seriously.

El Sitherino
05-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Acrylic
I always kinda sit in a daze when I listen to that song.

Seriously. Exactly. It's a weird, yet awesome, song. I want it played at my funeral service.

Darth Groovy
05-19-2005, 03:28 AM
Yep. I am a long time Beatlemaniac. Proud one too.

I know all the songs. Abbey Road is STILL my favorite album.

Konar
05-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
That would be the song "Get Back" and it is "JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner".

Yellow submarine is a pretty decent song, but I can't believe nobody has listed Yesterday as their favorite beatles song...either that or Let it Be...those two songs rock my face.

Dang. What I meant was "Sweet Loretta Modern thought she was a woman
But she was another man" - but you get the picture. :P

I started singing Let it be before, then put the three dots after it - which implies it's one of my favorites.

-- Note to people that I don't hate Yellow Sub because the beatles were drugged out of their skin when they sung it, but because I really think it is the let down of the series --

Yesterday's alright. Bit slow though...

El Sitherino
05-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Yesterday's alright. Bit slow though... .... I don't think a song about heartbreak and sadness really works when it's fast and upbeat.

toms
05-19-2005, 01:59 PM
:D :D

Let it Be and Hey Jude often get voted the most popuar songs ever (although Bohemian Rhapsody is often in there two).

Lucy in the sky with diamonds is another fave of mine.

---

I thought Clapton guest guitared on the album version too? I wouldn't swear to it.

Did clapton steal harrison's wife, or harrison steal clapton's?

Acrylic
05-19-2005, 06:34 PM
I think Clapton guitared on the album version, because Harrison couldn't do the vibrato on guitar like Clapton could.

Maybe I'm wrong though.