PDA

View Full Version : The Official Swamp Episode III Thread ! *Spoilers*

Astrotoy7
05-18-2005, 05:49 AM
I thought I might as well get in first.... :)

With the exception of a couple of Belgians and perhaps Sabretooth(who won a premiere tickets competetiton) I'd say us Aussies are going to be among the first to see Ep3, due to our weird timezones.

Right now it is a mere few hours or so before I watch that opening scroll for the very last time in a SW movie....

*sniff*

I'd like to hear others thoughts and feelings after watching Ep3.....

*packs kleenex*

mtfbwya

Sabretooth
05-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Right now it is a mere few hours or so

:eyeraise:

Dude - Australia rocks.

I'm getting a bit concerned about the tickets though. I gave 'em my address, but they haven't come in yet, and if they don't come tomorrow...

*cries*

BawBag™
05-18-2005, 07:38 AM
*packs kleenex*
I have absolutely no desire to hear what you'll be doing during the movie. :eek:

:D

jebbers
05-18-2005, 07:50 AM
im taking an extra pair of pants and underwear...i plan on soiling myself...

Pie™
05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
8 hours and 10 minutes to go! :eek:

jon_hill987
05-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Pfft, i'll see it in like a week when the fuss dies down.

Darth Groovy
05-18-2005, 11:13 AM
I ordered the tix online through Fandango, (i'm not messing around) My buddy wants to wear a mask, because he is going to call in sick.

Doomie
05-18-2005, 11:56 AM
In holland, it'll start in a few hours as well (since we're right above belgium), but I miscalculated so I'm going tomorrow anyway...

ET Warrior
05-18-2005, 12:45 PM
13.5 hours left until I get to see it...

But only....6 or so hours till I stake my spot out in line.

I am SO EXCITED! :D

TiE23
05-18-2005, 12:51 PM
14 hours and 26 minutes left! And I don't even have tickets :(

TiE

Pie™
05-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Well, I'm going to my friends' house together with Herminator and Ragnos of the Swamp now, where we're watching EP2 one last time and just chilling out before going to the theatre to see it. I'm very, very,very, very excited. :D

In only 5 hours and 4 minutes we'll see the scrolling opening text. :eek:

El Sitherino
05-18-2005, 01:49 PM
The countdown begins.

*goes to watch episode I and II*

Astrotoy7
05-18-2005, 01:50 PM
it's 3.33am.... Im a combination of very tired and ABSOLUTELY AWESTUCK :)

Episode III was everything I hoped it was......and so much more. Also I was glad I went spoiler free :)

Definitely some absolutely awesome action scenes and some pretty gruesome stuff. Compared to it, TPM seems like a kids movie :)

Im too darn tired to write anything more than this....but I look forward to hear what others say upon seeing it :)

gonna have a nice long sleep, get up and go watch it again :)

and yes, when those blue font credits roll, the true fanboy among you will find it hard to not be moved at some level....

mtfbwya

Neverhoodian
05-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Wow, five happy smilies from Astro is a very good sign. ;)

Sometimes I hate my time zone. I still have a good 13 hours to go. After I take my final for art history class this afternoon, I'm going to drive over to my friend's house, change into my Kyle Katarn costume from Halloween, and go to the theater to wait in line.

I had a hard time sleeping last night and woke up much earlier than usual out of sheer anticipation today. It's like Christmas eve for geeks. :p

Lady Jedi
05-18-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm so exicited. I honestly shouldn't be, but it's very cool. There's been people camping out for days in front of the theatre; something that I've never seen happen here. Not even for AOTC. :eek:

My little brothers are going to be wearing their brand spankin' new jedi robes and boots, while wielding those adorable plastic lightsabers. It's going to ROCK! :D

Gonna have to get there early tomorrow or they'll be so disappointed. :(

Evil Dark Jedi
05-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Me like Astro live in Australia though I will be seeing it at 4:30pm today. Straight after school. Got the tickets yesterday.

So I have exactly 8 hours 9 minutes from now.

Mike Windu
05-18-2005, 06:48 PM
haha..it does come out tomorrow doesn't it...

I've been preoccupied with a certain movie that won't be named.

It was rated R, and I couldn't get in. >_>

weiderudare
05-18-2005, 07:47 PM
The movie was truly awesome. Storyline=Perfect. Not the best Star Wars movie, but the fall of Anakin Skywalker was simply fantastic

Pie™
05-18-2005, 09:26 PM
F*cking wow. :indif:

Hermie
05-18-2005, 09:27 PM
SO friggin awsome!

'You're under arrest, "milord"' = best line ever.

No dialog for Jar Jar, hurrah!

Remember how Amy Allen stated that she doesn't die? Well she does. in a quite obvious way too.

GREAT soundtrack, with "borrowing" of the classics such as Duel of the Fates and Luke and Leia ROTJ theme.

Hayden showed that he could act afterall. All the other actors were magnificent too, and almost everyone pulled off their dialog very nicely.

ZBomber
05-18-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm leaving in like 20 minutes. OMG I are gonna pee thyself! :(

Prime
05-19-2005, 12:01 AM
I probably won't get to see it until the weekend.

I've failed at life. :(

Lynk Former
05-19-2005, 12:22 AM
I saw it today, the 19th, at 9:30am (it's 2:05pm now)... it was awesome @.@.

^^ Happy landings... cause you're gonna be launched into one hellova movie...

Evil Dark Jedi
05-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Just got home from school. Heading off to see it in a few minutes.

Rogue15
05-19-2005, 03:44 AM
leik OMG. beyond my expectations especially when anakin killed the padawans AND THEY SHOWED THE PADAWAN BOY BEING KILLED ****IN WHOA PARENTAL ADVISORY OMG!!!!

ZBomber
05-19-2005, 03:49 AM
OMG. SECOND. BEST. MOVIE. EVER.

That was brilliant. I actually almost cried.

Obi-Wan can communicate to Qui-Gon!!!!

Rogue15
05-19-2005, 03:50 AM
i had to hold back from crying...a tear came out and mixed with the oils that come out at night...stinged me. i did shed some tears though.

Astrotoy7
05-19-2005, 03:57 AM
Back from 2nd screening :)

I love it ! I love it all !! I just cant get over the start and the end...... The space battle and the immolation scenes are just abso-freakin-luteley awesome, and pure Star Wars.... :D

and R2.....coolest. droid. evar :)

I would like to give a special thanks to GL for this one.... awesome achievement. Those ILM people are just unbelievable....

*cheers*

gonna go see it tomorrow too with a different bunch of people :) already bought tix today... cant wait !!

mtfbwya

ZBomber
05-19-2005, 03:58 AM
Astro, whats your MSN? I'm not going to sleep and I need to talk abotu Ep3 with someone! :D

Nalukai
05-19-2005, 04:22 AM
i have a headache from it since i sat on the second row trying to take in all the fx at once...

yes it was worth the wait

yeah but that little padawan owns the crap out of a handful of clones before he bites it... and i think they could have withheld the anticlimatic cry of vader spreading his arms showing emotion

the juxtaposition between the final scenes were exactly what the movie needed.

ZBomber
05-19-2005, 04:23 AM
Yeh, it was kinda weird having Vader show emotion and say Padme

El Sitherino
05-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Yeh, it was kinda weird having Vader show emotion and say Padme That was powerful **** though man. In his mind, he now has NOTHING to lose. All chances for return have faded for him, he has only himself to live for. This makes him more dangerous than anyone or anything in the entire galaxy.

I loved the frankenstein scene. I cried when Mace bit it. Hell the entire bits of the purge they showed made me cry. My brain has actually shut down because that was just too awesome.

Best. Movie. EVER!

With a couple more viewings I'm sure this will become my favourite of the series. Battle Of The Heroes totally blew away any duel, and can only be rivaled by the RoTJ duel. Powerful stuff. I almost hate George for ruining any chance of me ever having anywhere near this amount of joy for any other movie ever again.

IG-64
05-19-2005, 04:51 AM
Code 66

:D

That.. that was awesome. There are so many parts I loved. I loved Grievous' henchmen, they were so awesome.

The only thing I wasn't too happy about (but not too upset because I was expecting it) was Grievous himself. The way he died was very cheap I thought. :p[/pointlessrant]

But yeah, the whole thing was just overwhelmingly awesome.

And, I was very surprised, EVERYTHING was explained.

CapNColostomy
05-19-2005, 05:09 AM
I thought the only speaking scene with Darth Vader (in the armor) was one of the corniest ****ing things I've ever laid eyes on. Other than that, I liked the movie alot. This is definately the best PT movie of the three.

Sabretooth
05-19-2005, 07:00 AM
Finally! I have the ticket!!!

Only...

*counts on fingers*

6 hours, 47 minutes left...

Mike Windu
05-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Only 7 hours till I can see it...

*excited*

Good to see that the general consensus is "OMG THIS MOVIE IS T3H ROXXORX"

:p

legameboy
05-19-2005, 07:37 AM
I won't be able to go until next Thursday...

*whimper*

Astrotoy7
05-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
Good to see that the general consensus is "OMG THIS MOVIE IS T3H ROXXORX"

yeah, I havent heard anyone bitch about it overall....feels weird I must say.......

other little tidbits :

*Jar Jar on screen 3 seconds and says NOTHING YAY !!

*Yoda PWNS Royal Guards

*The many cool type of clonies - cant wait to track down all those figurines

*No Mon mothma.....mustve been cut....have to wait for the dvd I guess :)
(which has been announced for November)

*I agree with IG, having watched the CW cartoons, I was expecting grievous to be a bit more kickass... and that coughing, sounded like my uncle with emphysema :p

Still, overall - LOVE IT...(I'll say it again) Im not gonna say its better than ESB or not, because they were made too far apart and directed with different styles...

Im wondering, if ROTK got 'best picture' at the oscars, would ROTS even be nominated next year ?? (im sure it will get Best visual effects)

mtfbwya

El Sitherino
05-19-2005, 11:23 AM
*I agree with IG, having watched the CW cartoons, I was expecting grievous to be a bit more kickass... and that coughing, sounded like my uncle with emphysema :p His lungs were crushed by Mace Windu, of course he's gonna cough.

abespam
05-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Just watched the movie.. best of the PT by far.. The entire storyline flowed so well, you could just see the event of the OT coming together by the end of the movie.

When the credits started rolling, a catharsis occured, a feeling of finally knowing the whole story and being content with it.

It was mad opening sequence, watching it at the cinemas made u feel like u were on a star wars ride or something, it really captivated the audience (especially after showing 25min of trailers and adds)

It was cool how all the technology, characters and even troopers slowly evolved into pre-OT standard. The clone trooper suits, the emperor's imperial shuttle, all the other starships.. its just blended the whole saga together.

Hayden Christiansen realy pulled through, though all the acting was a better standard than ep2, he was by far the best, his fall to the dark side was perfectly done. Even the love scenes and dialogue with portman were well done, much better than ep2.

Palpatine goes a bit out of control and senile in parts of the movie, especially when he's gettin wasted by windu, but once he puts on that hood the whole character was perfect. And yeh that Vader cry seemed a bit bizaare.

Though the dialogue wasnt perfect, the story telling was absolutely masterful, GL at his best..

Something that didnt make sense to me was Padme dying after childbirth.. how does this relate to RotJ:
Luke: Do u remember ur mother? ur real mother?
Leia: paraphrase).. memories. She died when i was very young. She was beautiful yet sad.

How does she remember that???

Neways other contradictions may arise..but the movie was brilliant.. i felt like going and watchin the OT straight afterwards..

El Sitherino
05-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by abespam
Something that didnt make sense to me was Padme dying after childbirth.. how does this relate to RotJ:
Luke: Do u remember ur mother? ur real mother?
Leia: paraphrase).. memories. She died when i was very young. She was beautiful yet sad.

How does she remember that???

As far as Leia saying she remembered her mother she does say "just feelings, images really" suggesting she really didn't know her mother just a vague 'sense' of her which can easily be ascribed to her sensitivity in the force.

- taken from Havoc Stryphe over at echonet.

SkinWalker
05-19-2005, 11:42 AM
R2D2 kicks a lot of droid butt in the movie! I loved that! The scene where he tucks the communicator in his "pocket" because it was too loud was funny and well done, too.

Great movie... much better than EP's I & II.

Rogue15
05-19-2005, 12:41 PM
yeah they didn't hold back at all! XD

i liked seeing Tarkin and the imperial officers at the end, that was pretty cool!

and those walkers were SWEET. XD

BongoBob
05-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Because of the one scene with R2D2 when He peirces the one droid and makes him leak oil, and then he engages the jetpacks and burns them. I was like, HOLY HELL, R2 PWNS! And how he popped out of the ships was just priceless to me. I will always like R2D2 like 10 times more.

Yeah, the whole Grievous thing was stupid, but great at the same time. And I thought, especially after playing Republic Commando, that The battle of Kashyyyk was gonna be a bigger part of the movie. And when the kid jumped out and saved senetor organa by lopping some clone heads off. I was like, **** yeah man, I may go down, but I aint goin down without a fight.

I am seeing it again today methinks :D

El Sitherino
05-19-2005, 02:12 PM
I must say, Jett Lucas was a pretty bad ass young jedi in that scene. Then he got shot. :(

Neverhoodian
05-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I saw the midnight screening with a friend of mine last night. The movie was AWESOME!!! I don't think anything can top The Empire Strikes Back, but this came pretty darn close.

Things I liked:

*Finally, a large scale space battle for the prequels.
*Super Battle Droids getting owned by R2. :D
*Obi-Wan's bada** dismount from his fighter in the Separatist command ship.
*General Grievous. Four lightsabers=awesome.
*The Tantive IV.
*Seeing a bit of what Alderaan looks like.
*MUCH better acting for Anakin and Padme. Hayden and Natalie finally got their chance to show the full potential of their acting skills.
*I was able to watch the movie without knowing about too many spoilers! :)

Things I didn't like (though these are very minor complaints, I assure you):

*The new high-pitched voices for the battle droids.
*They should've emphasized Anakin's willingness to do whatever it takes for what he feels is right sooner, but that's more of an Episode II complaint.

Things that moved me or brought me to tears:

*Mace Windu's death. It happened so suddenly that I was too shocked to cry.
*The Jedi Purge. I know that it had to happen, but it was still unbelievably sad when it did. :(
*Anakin's slaughter of the younglings.
*Obi-Wan's "You were the Chosen One!" dialog.
*Padme's funeral and the jappor snippet reference from Episode I.

Pie™
05-19-2005, 04:27 PM
The twin suns ending sequence was also a brilliant touch! :)

El Sitherino
05-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Yeah.

Other than the immolation scene, I think the most emotionally powerful would be when Yoda was on Kashyyyk, when he droppped his cane after sensing all the jedi deaths. All his teachings had blown up in his face. Not allowing yourself to miss those who have become part of the force. And these were all jedi that he'd trained at one point or another and even raised. That single drop and look in his eye really made that movie powerful. Then came the immolation scene and Ewans speech was incredible. I couldn't stop crying, I felt bad for both of them. Anakin only wanting to protet those he love, including Obi-Wan himself, but he went about it the wrong way. And Obi because he not only lost his best friend and brother to evil, but he lost him to himself. Having to "kill" someone he loved dearly, that's powerful ****.

Evil Dark Jedi
05-19-2005, 06:40 PM
The jedi purge almost made me cry once he killed the younglings. Thats some powerful stuff. Escpecially when the jedi just got shot down just like that.

Nalukai
05-19-2005, 06:59 PM
what was so great about the story itself is that anakin was suckered into the dark side by palpantine stating he could achieve the ability to cheat death... which the dreams he had opf padme dying in childbirth frightned him as much as those which his mom suffered..

the only reason he joiune dthe dark side was to save padmes life... and ultimatley he was the one that caused her death..

irony... at its... best.....

Nalukai
05-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
I must say, Jett Lucas was a pretty bad ass young jedi in that scene. Then he got shot. :(

WHOA that was jett??? never would have thought that... but yeah he does own like 10 clones before he bites it...

abespam
05-19-2005, 07:17 PM
it was mad when order 66 was executed and all the troopers when traitor.. i especially like ki-adi-mundi's death scene, it was done so well

Organa asked antillies to give 3po a memory wipe which would explain the OT behaviour, but what about artoo!!!

Did any see asaaj ventress, when grievous steps outs of his ship after he land on his base? I thought i saw her in the background, but it might of been someone else.. someone look out for it, if ur going to watch it again.

Nalukai
05-19-2005, 07:18 PM
you are sooooo beautiful....

thats only because im in love...

i liked that.

Nalukai
05-19-2005, 07:19 PM
asajj is supposed to die when anakin takes her dooku saber and knocks her of the cliff.. but then again i read she survives that fall even tho it is not part of the EU

Nalukai
05-19-2005, 07:21 PM
artoo was not a protocol droid protocol droids are designed to remeber all languages and phrases that are spoken to them.. i guess they didnt think an astro mech would too crucial to the series

El Sitherino
05-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Nalukai
WHOA that was jett??? never would have thought that... but yeah he does own like 10 clones before he bites it... Yeah, he was awesome as hell.

"SENATOR ORGANA!"
*flips in and cuts up 2 clones*
"HELP!"
*takes out 5 more*
Then he blocks a bit of the blaster fire before taking a shot in the neck. Was sad stuff. :(

The jedi purge was powerful, and I liked how they did Ki Adi Mundi's death. He's starting the charge then you see him stop and slowly turn to confront his fate. He did pretty good considering how many were firing freaking rifles at him.

toms
05-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Well, i thought it was pretty good, but I obviously wasn't as blown away as all you guys.

It was a definate improvement over the other prequels. The dialogue and the acting was just so much more natural than the first two. Overall the plot was pretty good, if very predictable. (but then it would be i guess ;) )

Ewan was much more natural in his role this time, and the chemistry between Ob1 & Anakin and Anakin & Padme was much better.

The code 66 bit, the immolation and the combined birth/reconstruction were all very cool.

I was kind of underwhelmed by a lot of the action scenes though... Grievous was a huge disappointment, loosing Dooku so early was a shame (mainly cos i like christopher lee!) and, for a sith lord that had orchestrated all that, Palpatine turned out to be rather a doddery old wuss. I expected him to break out some leet skillz against Mace or Yoda, but they both pretty much kicked his ass.
The end fight wasn't too inventive either... kind of repetative.

I think i also had a slight problem that i never really got to LIKE Anakin (mainly cos of the 2nd film where he should have been much less whiny) so, even though he was much better in this one, i wasn't hugely affected by his fall.

It was the first digital projection i've seen, and it looked stunning. Very crisp and clear and you could see all the small details. On the whole the sfx were great, but there was still the odd bit of animation that stood out as looking fake (mainly when they made the jedi or ob1's stupid lizard mount do things that didn't look like they obeyed the laws of physics.). These little bits did pull you out of it occasionally.

There were odd bits that didn't make much sense, or seemed contrived. The Qui Gon comment at the end for one. The droids memories/ob1 not remembering them for another.
And I thought that Ani swore alleigence to palpatine a bit too easilly, and then instantly went off killing kids... you would think he might at least have had a few second thoughts at the start.

The endings (vader and twin suns) were cool.

I know that all sounds very negative, but on the whole i did like it.
Its just that it felt like it was 99% there, but missing a little something to make it great.
Maybe i shouldn't have watched clone wars first, as the fights, jedi and bad guys in that kicked more butt. :D

KBell
05-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Wow.......anyone else think Palpatine was having some digestive issues when he was fighting Mace Windu? Ugh......those noices and faces he would make, just were ridiculous.

Mike Windu
05-19-2005, 09:11 PM
I am with toms 100% on this one.

Vader and twin suns ending...?

You mean Beru and Owen looking out? If so then yeah, that's a favorite scene of mine. >_>

jebbers
05-19-2005, 09:23 PM
I had a problem with this movie i agree with pretty much everything toms said...to add salt to an open wound, the sound system in the theater was sucky, they had a problem with the bass, and there was this little friggin kid who wouldnt shut the **** up! and i wished he was part of the purge! so my rants...

I know the film was mainly about Anakin and his internal conflicts as well as his problems with the council and what-not.

Im disappointed at how short 'lived' Dooku lived, and how he died. The same for General Grievous, I wanted to see him hunt down some of the Jedi. The way the Jedi died during the purge, especially Aayla Secura and Ki-Adi-Mundi. Disappointed at how Kit and Plo died.

But then again it was the Jedi Purge and they had to die.

And i got choked up at the Younglings scene as well.

toms
05-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by KBell
Wow.......anyone else think Palpatine was having some digestive issues when he was fighting Mace Windu? Ugh......those noices and faces he would make, just were ridiculous.

yeah, that bit did make a few people giggle... was like something out of a low budget sci-fi flick. He looked a lot cooler once he put his hood on. :D

Vader and twin suns ending...?

Sorry. Meant the ending bit when palpie tells vader he killed padme, and his scream. AND the owen/beru/luke twin suns ending. Liked both those bits.

Also, while i'm nitpicking, what was with the death star at the end? How come it took 18 years to finish the first one, and they nearly finished the second one in a year or two? Damn slow cowboy builders! :p ;)

Mike Windu
05-19-2005, 10:51 PM
That scream was far too dorky for my tastes :p

Astrotoy7
05-19-2005, 11:26 PM
As far as Leia saying she remembered her mother she does say "just feelings, images really" suggesting she really didn't know her mother just a vague 'sense' of her which can easily be ascribed to her sensitivity in the force.

- taken from Havoc Stryphe over at echonet.

I dont know who Stryphe is, but anyway, he omitted Leia saying this:

"She was very beautiful, kind, but sad"

Padme died a mere minute or so after Leia was born. I dont see how these words could be used to describe her..

This wasnt cleared up truly, and will remain in the ether forever more... maybe in the post epIII novels it may be clarified..... in any case I am not sure Leia was even aware of her part of the skywalker lineage..(Like Luke was)

Leia doesnt fully know about her relationship to Luke until ROTJ of course, otherwise she wouldnt have necked him in ESB :p (of course, she does say she has a sense of it)...

Her description of her mother could just as easily perhaps have referred to Bail Organas wife ? Whether she knew she was a foster child, once again, has never been clarified anywhere AFAIK ??

mtfbwya

Sabretooth
05-20-2005, 02:39 AM
Alright. Here goes-

The opening sequence was awesome. The best part was the music which was slow, ominous, not a blazing fanfare of trumpets like the other prequels. I also liked the whole thing that there is a huge sun on the backdrop and all, just cool. I loved R2's scenes in the battle, though. When he spills oil and does some uber jets. The theater especially laughed when the battle droid kicks R2.

I was disappointed with Grievous. In the Clone Wars he was shown as a tall, cape-shrouded menace. In Episode 3 he is a coughing hunchback. He also does not utilise his full powers like when was practice-duelling Dooku. Obi was also a bit weak when duelling Dooku, and that's bad. Dooku's execution and McDiarmid's work was just sweet. A flaw I noticed was Ani regretting too much. I mean, sure he can be blinded by anger, but WTH?

As usual, ILM struck with cutting-edge graphics (which is uber-cool). Sound was cool, but I sensed a lack of... heavyness. I mean I didn't get that thunderous shudder, the surround 3D effect. Implementation of the music was great IMO. Duel of Fates for Yoda/Palpy and a slow, emotional track for Obi/Ani was just well-matched.

Frankly, I don't think Grievous' ending was cheap. Grievous wasn't a Jedi, so I wouldn't have second thoughts killing him with a blaster. It's just that the scene was too obvious. The blaster was near Obi, no other weapon, Grievous' chestplate is opened up etc.
There's a question I have, BTW. What was that huge, liquidlike ball where all the crowd was cheering? A :deathstar prototype?

I have read in several areas that Mace's duel with Sidious had some 102 moves and involved three moves. I think someone just made a BIG mistake...
The whole Mace scene was cool, especially the look in his eyes when his hand is cut off. Palpy was also... spine-chilling.
While I didn't like Ani's mental conversion, his physical conversion was just perfect. A pale, horrid look when he resoloves to kill Mace. The eyes on Mustafar, the deformation in the lava etc.

Tantive IV was just sweet, showing the change to a New Hope. The stark white corridors, the new hairstyles and looks, the Lambda-type etc. The Death Star was also no fancy ball, but a boring grey... thing, like in ANH.

Portman and Hayden have done a good job, and the hateful feeling suits Ani's hairstyle. The delivery scene however, was disappointing. Padmé named the babies as if someone was holding a gun to her head. She could break a smile, or something.

The Jedi Purge was a little to fast, but the lamenting music suited it excellently. It is sad, however, that no Jedi was shown to somehow avoid the Clones and land up on Polis Massa or something, but no.
I don't know if I missed something, but I didn't see Ani kill the younglings, not even in the security holocomm. The Jedi in the security-thing looked pretty old enough to me...

Kashyyyk was a bit too fast, IMO. I mean, they could have shown the wookies rip off droid limbs and such. Yoda also could have done well in the battle. Yoda's duel with Palpy was also cool, and Palpy's saber moves were awesome. Heck, he looked like the grim reaper!

Obi vs. Ani was without doubt, the best part of the movie. The whole, emotional music, the duel, the words exchanged, they nearly brought me to tears, especially when Anakin catches fire and Obi leaves Anakin down there. The theater cheered when Obi delivers the greatest line: "You were the chosen one!" as well as when Lord Vader starts breathing. But for some reason, Anakin's voice and Vader's voice don't match at all, but Ani's voice may have changed, when he says "I hate you!" on Mustafar, I shuddered back.

On the whole, Episode III is a great, great movie, possibly the best in the saga.

RpTheHotrod
05-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Sabretooth
There's a question I have, BTW. What was that huge, liquidlike ball where all the crowd was cheering? A :deathstar prototype?

I think it was merely an entertainment event...nothing more. Notice the Ooos and the Ahhs and the clapping.

Pal didnt ever mention anything about the empire or its plans (death star, including) until the official meeting.

On top of that, there were several balls...and each were liquid. You could see swimmers of some sort jumping from ball to ball while the crowd applauded.

Evil Dark Jedi
05-20-2005, 03:40 AM
The delivery scene however, was disappointing. Padmé named the babies as if someone was holding a gun to her head. She could break a smile, or something.

She was dieing you know. She probably didnt have enough energy to smile at all.

IG-64
05-20-2005, 03:53 AM
Sure sabre, put yourself in this position: your husband killed younglings, went to the dark side, almost choked you to death, and is helping the dark lord of the sith put the galaxy as you know it into darkness; what friends you have left are all going into seclution, you just gave birth to twins that you'll never see grow up, and you're about to die.

Now, aren't you just all smiles? :)

ET Warrior
05-20-2005, 03:59 AM
Jeeeez, it seems like some of you will find anything to nitpick.

It was an amazing movie. Nuff said.

Astrotoy7
05-20-2005, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior

heh...but we're fanboys !!! I still think the overall consensus is ROTS = great :)

Im waiting for SpiderAL to come in and tell us how bad it is :)

I do have a nitpick though...... the whole GHOST nusiness !!!! Anakin's Ghost appears at teh end of ROTJ SE DVD... But at the end of ROTS, Yoda only mentions to obiwan that he has to start training to learn how to do this... How does anakin get to do this ?? I was expecting this to come up earlier in ROTS, with anakin and obi both listening in on it...

ah well, maybe the DVD will shed more light on it :)

mtfbwya

Sivy
05-20-2005, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by toms

Palpatine turned out to be rather a doddery old wuss. I expected him to break out some leet skillz against Mace or Yoda, but they both pretty much kicked his ass

his cowering in front of Mace for was Anakin's benefit. he was trying to force Anakin to save him and complete his turn to the darkside.
and i didn't think he did too badly against yoda either.

I do have a nitpick though...... the whole GHOST nusiness !!!! Anakin's Ghost appears at teh end of ROTJ SE DVD... But at the end of ROTS, Yoda only mentions to obiwan that he has to start training to learn how to do this... How does anakin get to do this ?? I was expecting this to come up earlier in ROTS, with anakin and obi both listening in on it...

well he is the chosen one.
besides Qui-gon didn't learn how to do it either, he just discovered it. (due to his obsession with the ‘living force’) had he been at peace when he died (like obi-wan, yoda and Anakin) he too could have come back as ghost.

ZBomber
05-20-2005, 06:09 AM
One part I didn't get, was when Anakin jumped off the platform and Obi was like "Don't do it Anakin!". Anyone know what that was about?

abespam
05-20-2005, 06:44 AM
Obi says "i have the high ground" , so I'm guessing he had some tactical advantage from standing there... obviously it led to decapitating anakin.

Asajj Issue: i swear i read somewhere that she doesnt die when she duels with anakin, i mean in the cartoons she just falls into abyss which is usually a sign of.. ill be back.

Death Star: yeh i was wondering y it takes 18 years to make the death star, but the second death star, bigger and more powerful, takes just a few years, i know it wasnt fully completed but totally out of proportions

Leia's Mother: in ROTJ, luke specifically states, "do u remember ur mother? ur real mother", which i took to mean not ur foster mother, ur biological mother.. ie leia knew she was adopted. Luke also says, "i never knew my mother" infering they are talking about the same person not Bail Organa's wife but Padme...

R2 memory wipe - im sure artoo could of communicated in basic to luke, even if was in the x-wing, i mean "thats right r2 were going to the dagobah system", obviously luke can communicate with the little guy..

Master Cypha-Dias - not sure about the spelling, but the kamineans said that jedi master chypa-dias placed the order for the clones.. does any one know what happened der?

neways i have to admit that mace's death was the best by far (followed by ki-adi-mundi), what a way to go!!!

Btw had anyone seened both digital and normal versions of the film i was wondering what the diferences wer?

Sivy
05-20-2005, 06:58 AM

Death Star: yeh i was wondering y it takes 18 years to make the death star.

it's easier to build something when you've already built it before.

jebbers
05-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Obi says "i have the high ground" , so I'm guessing he had some tactical advantage from standing there... obviously it led to decapitating anakin.

no decapitation of anakin..his legs and an arm were lopped off...but his head stayed on.

toms
05-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Higher Ground: Anakin had nowhere to go except to jump over obi-wan... and obi-wan warned him he couldn't make it.

Birth: It was a slightly odd birth scene. I know the whole point was that she didn't die from the birth, but from anakin's betrayal (therefore making him responsible for making his dreams true)... but she did kind of go out with a whimper... no contractions or anything... sigh.. pop.. "its a boy!"... and you would have thought obi-wan and yoda would have tried consoling her a bit.

Know your mother?: I think this is just one of those things that didn't quite work out continuity-wise... but there are always a few of those in film series.

Palpy Cowering: I would have got the whole cowering thing, if he wasn't getting his face melted at the time.... :D
These sith lords are hardcore! Willing to get their face melted, or even have their head cut off just to convert anakin.

Qui-gon thing: it was a very "jammed in to fill a plot hole" line from yoda. Didn't make much sense either. Would have been better to have left it ambiguous imho.

Final duel: Good, bit long and repetetive, not as emotional as the end of RotJ one.

Darth Breathes: This was the only bit that got a cheer in our cinema.

I was kind of disappointed not to have some scene of the last few jedi, making a final stand surrounded by armies of clones... as i've had that scene in my mind ever since the clone wars were mentioned in the OT.

All these nitpicks sound more serious in print than they actually are, the film was still pretty cool, and did everythig it needed to to get from A to B. I just think that it could have done it with a bit more Omph!.

ROTS, ANH, ESB and ROTJ make a nice quadrilogy. Not sure i'd include the first two in the set though.
(If i had the energy i'd edit bits of ep1 into ep2 as flashbacks, cut out some of the stupid/stomach churning bits from ep 2 and i bet that would make quite a good movie :D )

RpTheHotrod
05-20-2005, 08:02 AM

I think you got it wrong. Yoda has to teach obiwan how to "fellowship" with the ghost....not how to be one ("How does anakin get to do this ?? ")

If that's the case though, still...how did Luke see them at the end of the saga? Chosen one, perhaps, heh.

I think it was just a plot-filler that quickly explains how Obi-Wan completed his skills while being alone in the desert.

abespam
05-20-2005, 09:00 AM
All these nitpicks sound more serious in print than they actually are, the film was still pretty cool,

oh yeh definitely.. the film was awesome in its entirety, im just a continuity freak :P

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 10:35 AM
for a sith lord that had orchestrated all that, Palpatine turned out to be rather a doddery old wuss. I expected him to break out some leet skillz against Mace or Yoda, but they both pretty much kicked his ass.

... Perhaps you should have paid more attention. Palpatine was playing with Mace and Yoda. Had Anakin not shown up Palpatine would have easily taken Mace out, but what he wanted and knew would happen was Anakin would show up. And he knew Anakin would help him. Anakins turn relied on his killing of a Jedi. It's the ultimate test sith take.

With Yoda, he was merely toying with him.

There were odd bits that didn't make much sense, or seemed contrived. The Qui Gon comment at the end for one.
There was a scene in which we heard Yoda and Qui-Gon talking. It had to be cut.

The droids memories/ob1 not remembering them for another.

20 years go by, your memory usually isn't what it used to be. 20 years alone is mostly double the mental impact. So... yeah.

And I thought that Ani swore alleigence to palpatine a bit too easilly, and then instantly went off killing kids... you would think he might at least have had a few second thoughts at the start.

The manipulation in the movie takes place over the course of several months, I guess Lucas assumed people would get that. Because you don't go from being pretty and thin to bulging belly overnight when pregnant. (Padme)

The endings (vader and twin suns) were cool.

Agreed.

For those not capable of getting it from clues given out through the prequels. To retain your identity after "death", you must give into the living force. Qui-Gon always spoke of living by the will of the living force. That's the secret.

Sabretooth
05-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by IG-64
Sure sabre, put yourself in this position: your husband killed younglings, went to the dark side, almost choked you to death, and is helping the dark lord of the sith put the galaxy as you know it into darkness; what friends you have left are all going into seclution, you just gave birth to twins that you'll never see grow up, and you're about to die.

Now, aren't you just all smiles? :)

LOL, alright. But it did seem a bit too rushed.

Awesome Movie, BTW.

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Birth: It was a slightly odd birth scene. I know the whole point was that she didn't die from the birth, but from anakin's betrayal (therefore making him responsible for making his dreams true)... but she did kind of go out with a whimper... no contractions or anything... sigh.. pop.. "its a boy!"...

They said they must operate to save the babies.

Palpy Cowering: I would have got the whole cowering thing, if he wasn't getting his face melted at the time.... :D
These sith lords are hardcore! Willing to get their face melted, or even have their head cut off just to convert anakin.

Anakin is his only option for a padawan to do what he needs to do. Take out the jedi, take out seperatist leaders. All so Palpatine could establish the empire.

I was kind of disappointed not to have some scene of the last few jedi, making a final stand surrounded by armies of clones... as i've had that scene in my mind ever since the clone wars were mentioned in the OT.

PG-13 to R with that, sadly.

Hermie
05-20-2005, 10:49 AM

Asajj Issue: i swear i read somewhere that she doesnt die when she duels with anakin, i mean in the cartoons she just falls into abyss which is usually a sign of.. ill be back.
She comes back in the Republic comic books, and captures Obi. He escapes with Alpha, but I don't know her fate, as I haven't read it all...

Pie™
05-20-2005, 10:53 AM
For those not capable of getting it from clues given out through the prequels. To retain your identity after "death", you must give into the living force. Qui-Gon always spoke of living by the will of the living force. That's the secret. Sexy and handsome boy I'd like to sleep with.

Edited on encouragement from third-party members.

Astrotoy7
05-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Yes Asajj hasnt actually died in EU either yet, but her anger at the jedi has somehwat subsided perhaps... hopefully she may pop up in the CW CG animation series and Vader can finish her off :)

One thing, did anyone spot GL at the opera scene ? I cant say I did clearly. There was a man standing near the door, though his face was blue and I couldnt clearly make it out if it was him...

and has anyone seen the 1138, if there is one ??

mtfbwya

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 12:31 PM
One thing, did anyone spot GL at the opera scene ? I cant say I did clearly. There was a man standing near the door, though his face was blue and I couldnt clearly make it out if it was him...

Yeah, the dude with the blue face and the weird purple had was Lucas as the Baron.

There are supposed to be some in there, but I couldn't find them. Then again I wasn't looking for them.

Darth Groovy
05-20-2005, 01:11 PM

They did not portray this very well in the movie. Palpatine, and Anakin were at a Mon Calamari "Opera". For those who know the Mon Calamari, they are aquatic creatures (hense the large spheres of water) The attention was focused on the dialouge between Anakin and Palpatine, because it was a crucial element of the story. The only reason I even know this is, is because I read the book first, otherwise, I would not have known what that was all about either.

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Some people are saying Anakin's turn was too fast. Even though it took place over the course of months. And he was still conflicted after having taken on the name of Vader.

Yoda: Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.
Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

When he saw Mace pointing a lightsaber at the only person that had taken him in and listend to him, befriended him, he had to make a choice between saving that person and the jedi order. Anakin's character had been established in the last 2 films as someone that wants to protect those he cares for. He chooses to protect Palpatine, because Palpatine is a friend who is giving Anakin hope for saving Padme and because he's a friend.

I'm going to quote Ayatolla Krispies from MF on the issue of Anakins turn.

There's something very important that I think people are missing, because it comes from TPM and may not be immediately apparent. In Watto's shop, upon discovering his status, Padme asks "you're a slave?" Immediately indignant, Anakin replies "I'm a person and my name is Anakin." But he willingly enslaves himself to Palpatine -- and even gives up his name. As a Sith, he's given up his humanity. It was over right then and there.

There's a lot of truth to that.

When Padme died. Anakin was lost, Vader's only drive now was hunger for power and vengeance. The hate in him for obi-wan and the jedi that "made" him kill Padme (and from his knowledge, his child), he had to exact his vengeance.

Darth Groovy
05-20-2005, 01:56 PM
If you read the Terry Brooks Novel of TPM, you will know that Anakin was unstable with his emotions since the day he was born. Even he never knew his own destiny. The fall to the dark side made perfect sense. It gave him power, and he felt he would eventually be able to control anything and everything that ever hurt him.

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Exactly. And when he was sitting in the council chamber before going to the chancellors office. That time he was looking out and thinking of Padme, he was weighing the options. Thinking out every scenario, asking "What would I do for Padme, to save her and our child?". His answer was "anything." and we saw the tear.

His decision is one made with a conflicted heart. And once he made that decision that he must keep Palpatine alive, he had already started. After killing Mace there was no turning back.

Lorden Darkblade
05-20-2005, 02:19 PM
I think this was one of the best Star Wars movies.
The story was very good and all, I just thought Palpatine should have gotten the face cuz of the Dark Side.
And the film could be a little longer too :D

Pad
05-20-2005, 02:31 PM
I knew what to expect from the movie and after seeing it last night ROTS delivered quite nicely. A rollercoaster of computer action, slashing and dashing, mediocre acting,...

I even remember a moment I was thinking "what a nice movie (graphics, sounds,...) but not really that appealing to me". Another epI/II? You have to know I was into Star Wars since I first saw A new hope.

But all of a sudden that changed when Anakin became Darth Vader by slaying Windu. I say that was for me the time when the movie really started. Perfectly portrait scenes of dying jedi, confrontations with real feelings,... Hell the dialogues and acting even started to get better.

So afterall I had a good feeling about seeing it. It´s definatly a hell of lot better as epI and II, so to call it a good klimax of the prequels.

ET Warrior
05-20-2005, 02:34 PM
The droids memories/ob1 not remembering them for another.

Obi-wan really had very little interaction with C-3PO OR R2-D2 if you think about it. He had more with R2-D2, but even then it was still very little.

Not to mention the fact that droids are more or less like appliances. Do you remember the toaster and microwave your friend got rid of 20 years ago?

I think it's great that R2 isn't getting his memory wiped, so he knows EVERYTHING during the OT, and so he knows just how important it all is, and how important luke and obi-wan are :D

ZBomber
05-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeh, I think Palpy could have easily pushed Mace out of the way, and caught him off guard with lightning.

I know the high ground thing, but why did he cut him right after he tried to help Anakin?

ET Warrior
05-20-2005, 03:32 PM
I know the high ground thing, but why did he cut him right after he tried to help Anakin?

I....dont understand your question...are you asking why did Obi-wan cut Anakin?

ZBomber
05-20-2005, 03:39 PM
No, I'm just wondering why Anakin would try to do something as stupid as jump over Obi-Wan's head, why not to the side or something?

Originally posted by Darth Groovy
They did not portray this very well in the movie. Palpatine, and Anakin were at a Mon Calamari "Opera". For those who know the Mon Calamari, they are aquatic creatures (hense the large spheres of water) The attention was focused on the dialouge between Anakin and Palpatine, because it was a crucial element of the story. The only reason I even know this is, is because I read the book first, otherwise, I would not have known what that was all about either.

So THATS what everyone meant by the ball. I thought you guys were talking about the end, where they showed the big black orb death star.

ET Warrior
05-20-2005, 04:09 PM
No, I'm just wondering why Anakin would try to do something as stupid as jump over Obi-Wan's head, why not to the side or something?

Because Anakin was confident in his new powers, he felt he could leap over obi-wan, and then HE would be at an advantage, fighting down on Obi-wan, driving him towards the lava.

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 04:26 PM
No, I'm just wondering why Anakin would try to do something as stupid as jump over Obi-Wan's head, why not to the side or something? He'd still be vulnerable. Obi-Wan has the high ground, he has full vision of the area. No matter where Anakin went (unless retreat) Obi-Wan was capable of getting him.

But like ET said, Anakin was also confident in his new powers.

TK-8252
05-20-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally, they were going to show Palpatine issuing Order 66 to every Clone Commander shown in the Jedi Purge, and Commander Bacara (with Ki-Adi-Mundi) would be referred to by his number, 1138, rather than his name. But it was cut to just Cody and a couple other commanders.

ET Warrior
05-20-2005, 05:05 PM
RotS grossed slightly over 50 million dollars yesterday, setting all single day / openin day records.

link (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1824&p=.htm)

Nalukai
05-20-2005, 05:08 PM
about the Syfo Dias issue...

I read that he was actually the first one before dooku to be confronted by sidious to become his apprentice and to order the armies of the republic... when he refused siduos cut off both his arms then split him down the middle and then force tornadoed him... when dooku became his apprentice he was the one that ordered the armies under the name of syfo dias but did not know they were for the republic... it was a whole plot by palpantine since day one.

Prime
05-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Nalukai
about the Syfo Dias issue... It is explained in full in Labyrinth of Evil.

Yes Asajj hasnt actually died in EU either yet, but her anger at the jedi has somehwat subsided perhaps... hopefully she may pop up in the CW CG animation series and Vader can finish her off Her fate is revealed in the Star Wars: Obsession #5.

Mike Windu
05-20-2005, 08:01 PM
I do wish they explained more about Sifo Dyas in the movie, but eh...

Question: What is... "the 1138" >_>

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 08:28 PM
I do wish they explained more about Sifo Dyas in the movie, but eh...

Why he's not of any importance to the drive of the story.

Question: What is... "the 1138" >_> There has been a 1138 in all the movies, in reference to Lucas' film "THX 1138".

abespam
05-20-2005, 09:05 PM
about the Syfo Dias issue...

I read that he was actually the first one before dooku to be confronted by sidious to become his apprentice and to order the armies of the republic... when he refused siduos cut off both his arms then split him down the middle and then force tornadoed him... when dooku became his apprentice he was the one that ordered the armies under the name of syfo dias but did not know they were for the republic... it was a whole plot by palpantine since day one.

thanks for clearing that up.. i have to read labryinth of evil some time...

Her fate is revealed in the Star Wars: Obsession #5.

yeah and i'll read that as well. I was just wondering if u saw her in the movie, i swear i saw a pale faced, bald woman at the grievous scene i mentioned.

Astrotoy7
05-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Prime
It is explained in full in Labyrinth of Evil.

Her fate is revealed in the Star Wars: Obsession #5.

cool. thank Prime :) does she die ! yes or no ! use tags if you like :)

Mikeski 1138 is an homage to George Lucas first feature film THX-1138. Mark Hamill put into his lines in ANH and its been a little tradition to include it in the movies ever since.... somewhere in the movie trivia thread Sivy explains where they all are :) those cheeky buggers at Raven even managed to put one into JA :)

mtfbwya

Mike Windu
05-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Good God, Easter Egg hunting 2 days after the movie came out? :p

Redwing
05-21-2005, 02:38 AM
Well, I loved it. :D

Not all my friends did, tho... (amongst the SW fans, I mean... the non-SW fans haven't seen it yet. XD)

Amusing illustration:

http://www.ocregister.com/multimedia/star_wars/

Go to "The reactions" and click on Video 2 (also titled "The reactions"), fast forward to the second interview, and watch for the girl in the white Leia outfit (no buns, she let them down) walking by and pointedly shaking her head. XD

(Yes, I was also there when the video was filmed... but I didn't make it on camera, so don't bother guessing ;))

Most people I know really liked it, tho... =)

Also: I am so behind on EU. x.x

Prime
05-22-2005, 03:05 PM
cool. thank Prime :) does she die ! yes or no ! use tags if you like :)
Dooku abandons her and Kenobi and Anakin think she is dead. However, she survives and leaves to get away from everything. That is all we know.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
05-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Because Anakin was confident in his new powers, he felt he could leap over obi-wan, and then HE would be at an advantage, fighting down on Obi-wan, driving him towards the lava.

Well, I looked at it more like this:

Anakin and Obi-wan each know each others moves, and anticipate each other's moves (shown when they are in the elevator). And Obi knew Vader was thinking about doing it, which Obi knew exactly what to do when he did jump over him. But Vader, blinded by his hate and the "betrayal" by Obi, which you're opinion of him thinking too much of his newly gained dark side powers comes into play, and he then doesn't take the advice of his once master, which if he wasn't blinded, he would've known Obi knew exactly what to do.

That's how I thought about it anway >_>

edlib
05-22-2005, 11:30 PM
A couple of things:

20-year Death Star construction:
I'm sure the 2nd Death Star was started before the first was fully completed. There was probably a plan to have several of them.

Of course, Sideous can forsee the future pretty well, and since he said "Everything that has transpired has been according to my design..." it's possible that he forsaw the destruction of the first Death Star before it happened.
Besides, just how much time is supposed to take place between ANH and ESP?

Leia and mom:
Leia's memory of her mother probably comes from pictures, films (holograms) and the memory of her from the people around her. She was probably told some things about Padme growing up.
Luke was probably not told anything (at least anything true) about either of his parents growing up. This accounts for thier differing memories.

Ani one with the Force:
The Light Side Of The Force seems pretty eager to forgive Anakin at the end of ROTJ for him to appear besides the others in Luke's vision. He did a lot of very bad things, and it seems too easy to let him off the hook just because he threw Sideous down a well. But then that wouldn't be a mythical-type ending.
He did fulfill the prophesy however... it just took him several decades to get around to doing it. The only thing I can figure is that it was to show Luke that balance has been resored to The Force, and to make him feel better about losing his father, who he really only just met and never really got to know.
However,.. him saving Luke at the end does take on a bit more resonance in the light of this movie. He did everything he did and became what he was to save his wife and child. Finding out that his child was alive would be the only thing to bring him back to the light. If he really believed he was the one to kill Padme, there is no way he could sit by and let his child die, especially at the hands of the master who manipulated him and turned him into what he became.

Good stuff.

Mike Windu
05-22-2005, 11:31 PM
I dunno why everyone is so confused at that scene.

Obi Wan said basically that the fight was over. He was on the high ground. Ani was on the lava. Don't do it. Don't jump. I don't to fight you anymore.

So Ani jumped and got his legs boinked.

End. :p

i dunno why i said boinked >>

Prime
05-23-2005, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by edlib
Leia and mom:
Leia's memory of her mother probably comes from pictures, films (holograms) and the memory of her from the people around her. She was probably told some things about Padme growing up.
Luke was probably not told anything (at least anything true) about either of his parents growing up. This accounts for thier differing memories. People should note that the force can be used to see the past and the future. ;)

El Sitherino
05-23-2005, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Prime
People should note that the force can be used to see the past and the future. ;) Also Leia did spend more time with her real mother than Luke. We even see Leia crie as Padme dies. It's possible that she picked up a bit on that.

An interesting link for the OT fanboys (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=197859)

Astrotoy7
05-23-2005, 04:59 AM
.. We even see Leia crie as Padme dies. It's possible that she picked up a bit on that....

sithy, it's not unusual for newborn babies to do that !! Surely that wasnt a master stroke of GLs directing ability :)

of course, some shots of the babes were CG of course :)

mtfbwya

toms
05-23-2005, 09:20 AM

It'd be a rather short, boring and biased discussion thread if no-one was allowed to mention anything that they might not have liked.

While most people here, even those that have dared to express small nitpicks and queries, seem to think its a great film, its been getting pretty mixed reviews from the wider "non-sw geek" world. So its hardly the perfect film with nothing else to say.

With everyone else gushing over the good bits, it doesn't seem unreasonable to focus on the other bits. That doesn't mean i'm loosing sleep over them though...

I'm not hugely bothered by the droids memory bits or the minor continuity problems with leia's mother etc... after all its a fun story and those sort of things are bound to pop up occasionally. I will say that Obi-wan did seem to know the droids quite well... but then he never actually SAYS that he didn't remember the droids in ANH. YOu would think R2 might have told 3po that he recognised all these people though :D

There was a scene in which we heard Yoda and Qui-Gon talking. It had to be cut.

That would have made more sense. Maybe thats why that scene felt a bit rushed/crammed in to me, because of the editing. I was actually expecting Qui-gon to show up at that point or something, but it just ended.

---

The problem i had with anakin wasn't his fall TO the dark side, whihc i thought was handled pretty well, up to and including the bit where he cut off mace's hand. Even at that point he was all "what have i done??" which made sense.

It just seemed that the final step where he went from "what have i done?" to "i'll kneel before you my master and do anything you say" seemed a little swift. But ok, not to bad.

But the fact he went straight from reluctantly joining sidious to killing kids without regret seemed a little swift. I'd have thought he would at least of either hestitated, or killed them and then had regrets that palpie talked him out of. Just my opinion though.

----

Was it just me or did palpatine show a lot of almost paternal care for anakin?
I know he was trying to corrupt/convert him but if you consider that Sith lords aren't really that cosy with their masters/pupils (and often keep trying to kill each other) and that he didn't show much regard for the welfare of Maul or Dooku then in comparison he was very protective of anakin.
Sensing when he was in danger and rushing off to save him. Almost tenderly (for him) getting his burnt body recovered. Repairing him, etc... I'd have thought a sith lord would have been disgusted by the fact anakin had lost and got himself so messed up and killed him himself.

Unless of course it was always part of his plan to get anakin messed up, as i suppose it would make his fall complete, and make him easier to control and less likely to overpower the emperor and take his place.

They never really followed up on the virgin birth or the "free the slaves" seeds they planted in the first film.

edlib
05-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Well, there was the line about the Sith Lords being able to manipulate the midi-chlorians to create life. In the book it turns out the Sith lord legend that Palpy was talking about was his own master, who he later killed.

It's not really explored in either place, but it's hinted at that it's possible that Anakin was created by the Sith... in which case Palpatine is his father in a way.

One of those loose threads... and even if it turns out to be a false clue, Anakin does represent a huge investment in time and energy on Palpy's part. Maul and Dooku were just temporary placeholders for Vader, who is the most gifted and powerful force-user ever, remember. A weapon like that is something you don't want to lose. And it seems all of Palpy's plans in the meantime require an enforcer like Vader.
Once he has the Death Stars, Vader's importance might start to wane. But before that he needs an apprentance he can fully trust to execute his will without mercy to help with the formation and administration of the new Empire.

Palpy does seem eager to unload himself of Vader in trade for Luke at the end of ROTJ though... I guess that's just the Sith way.

LightNinja
05-23-2005, 03:12 PM
well it seems that i deleted a post of my double post while a mod were erasing the other so ill write the post again...:
So yoda told Obi Wan to go there to train with the help of the spirit of Qui-Gon (?) to be one with the force or to learn force living (?) so that if he dies in peace with himself he will become a ghost and will retain his identity?
and thanks for the info you post here, it took me 1 hour and a half to read the whole thread but now im getting more things :)

My bad ~ET

El Sitherino
05-23-2005, 03:39 PM
sithy, it's not unusual for newborn babies to do that !! No ****. What I'm saying though is Leia cries EXACTLY as her mother dies. Perhaps with her tiny bit of force ability she was able to pick up on her mothers feelings and her dying.

It'd be a rather short, boring and biased discussion thread if no-one was allowed to mention anything that they might not have liked.

While most people here, even those that have dared to express small nitpicks and queries, seem to think its a great film, its been getting pretty mixed reviews from the wider "non-sw geek" world. So its hardly the perfect film with nothing else to say.

With everyone else gushing over the good bits, it doesn't seem unreasonable to focus on the other bits. That doesn't mean i'm loosing sleep over them though...

Nitpicking isn't a problem, it's just some people seem to ignore things that could easily answer their questions. Or are too worried about everything being an absolute instead of just letting things be a mystery. I remember a lot of bitching about the "de-mystification" of the force by using the term midichlorians. So do you people want mystery or definite answers? :p

toms
05-24-2005, 01:01 PM
yeah, but midichlorians are still a stupid idea... :D its just there is nothing to be done about them.

SeleneRayne
05-24-2005, 09:43 PM
I LOVED the movie. Even though it made me cry a few times... but it was very, very good!! I liked it better than Episode I and II.

I cried really hard at Padme's funeral, and when after Anakin gets the Vader armor on and asks if Padme is alright. :(

toms
05-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Well, i have to say it held up pretty well on second viewing, a lot better than the first two.

Some of the dialogue was a little tricky to sit through a second time, and i wasn't as impressed by the opening sequence (guess the wow! factor was no-longer there) but on the whole it was pretty good.

Most of my mates who watched it were of the "excellent, but missing some of the magic of the originals and with the odd stupid bit" opinion.

Someone asked about digital projection vs normal film projection.
This time it was normal film and i have to say that there was a small difference, but you could notice it if you were looking for it.
It was probably most noticable on scenes where there was a lot goinf on in the background (like the opening space battle), where the digital version was just a bit sharper and clearer.

Its not as big a difference as DVD vs VHS or anything... maybe a bit like the difference between watching a DVD on a monitor or a TV. (slight pixel bluring).

PS/ I also realised that by far the worst performance in this film was Samuel L Jackson. Whats up with that? He's usually awesome...

TXH-1138
05-04-2007, 01:01 PM
best animation ever. worst actors in the history of the star wars movies (ewan mcgregor was like the only person worth watching). and not as believable or just plain exciting as the plot out of episode v (i dunno why, but that snowspeeder part in episode v is AWESOME). best saber action of any of the movies, and easily the darkest. as my uncle puts it, "you guys get to see the movies with great animation; we got to see the ones with good actors."

watch this clip:
[http://www.ugoplayer.com/animation/stickwars.html]
the stickfigure actors do a real good job of mimicking padme and anakin's acting in the movie.

Well, i have to say it held up pretty well on second viewing, a lot better than the first two.
amen to that (i mostly stood up to watching it again because of the animation). i was disappointed by samuel jackson, too, though he was much better than anakin and padme (the part where he's getting electrocuted is just pathetic, the way he pretends to scream). however, i really think you can see anakin's pathetic-ness in episode ii, when he gets his arm cut off. he gasps and falls over, then pretends to be out of breath. C'MON GEORGE LUCAS WE HAD FAITH IN YOU.

BongoBob
05-04-2007, 01:20 PM
zOMG MAJOR THREAD REVIVAL!!1

Pie™
05-04-2007, 01:25 PM
OMG SPOILER TAGZ!! ;_;

Mike Windu
05-04-2007, 05:26 PM
DUMBLEDORE DIES!

BongoBob
05-04-2007, 10:37 PM
VADER IS LUKES FATHER!

Pie™
05-05-2007, 10:27 AM
YOU'LL ALL DIE ALONE!

MrWally
05-05-2007, 10:52 AM
DUMBLEDORE DIES!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

jebbers
05-05-2007, 12:10 PM
DUMBLEDORE DIES!

You forgot by SNAPE!

BongoBob
05-05-2007, 01:41 PM
AERIS DIES!

Pie™
05-05-2007, 01:51 PM
IT WAS ALL A DREAM!

Tyrion
05-05-2007, 01:59 PM
LENNON DIES!

AND MCCARTNEY LIVES!

BongoBob
05-05-2007, 02:03 PM
THERE IS NO SPOON!

MrWally
05-05-2007, 02:13 PM
AERIS DIES!

AND becomes immune to Pheonix Downs in the process.

ET Warrior
05-05-2007, 02:52 PM
W.
T.
F.

I says no.