PDA

View Full Version : Episode 3 - Marks out of Ten *spoilers*

toms
05-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Only those that have seen it please.

Feel free to add short reviews, but use spoiler tags if you have spoilers. Keep the big discussions in the other thread.

NOTE: Spoilers have crept into several of the post below. If you haven't seen it yet you might want to just check out the poll results and not scroll down.

El Sitherino
05-19-2005, 01:51 PM
It surpassed all my expectations.

Pie™
05-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Much better than the other prequels, almost up to par with Empire, if not as good as. 8/10 for now, but is prone to change when I'm not as "pumped" :p

BongoBob
05-19-2005, 03:22 PM
10 out of 10. I seriously was moved by this movie. I didn't cry, but was just emotionally shaken, and that's exactly what needed to happen for this movie. Even though you know most of the stuff, it still get's you.

*waits for bootleg of it*

What >.> <.<

:p

El Sitherino
05-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Am I the only one getting withdrawls, jonesing for another hit?

I actually cried. Seeing the bits of the Jedi Purge really got to me, especially Mace's death. And seeing the torture in Anakin after killing the sepratist leaders, you can really feel he doesn't want to do this, but he feels he must. You can see the conflict within him. Until Padme confronts him, and he thinks she's betrayed him. I watched A New Hope when I got back and Vader was easily 10x scarier.

jokemaster
05-19-2005, 04:01 PM
10/10. I cried in the jedi purging scene, esp. the kid asking what are they going to do and seeing all those jedi betrayed and shot in the back. And then we see Yoda kick ass. The whole theater cheered when yoda killed the clonetroopers.

Hermie
05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Im saying 10/10, although I may still be under the spell of pure awsomeness, so it's not completly unbiased...

ZBomber
05-19-2005, 04:49 PM
10/10. Some pretty powerful scenes in there...

DarkLord60
05-19-2005, 06:57 PM
I've seen it twice I Liked it much better than other two but does not beat ESB!

ET Warrior
05-19-2005, 07:07 PM
I went with 9/10, simply because the very beginning of the movie was pretty rushed.

I know it HAD to be, because there was so much in there. Were I to give half points it'd be a 9.5

Tyrion
05-19-2005, 07:27 PM
7/10. :(

The visual effects were great...and it did fufill everything a Star Wars movie needs, but some of it just lacked. Anakin still struck me as a completely whiny *******, and a few things struck me as rather paradoxial...like how Obi says to Anakin that he is wise beyond his years, and surely he would realise how selfish his wants are. He becomes a sith lord, kills his jedi comrades, and assaults his former master all for Padme, wouldn't he at least have a thought if that was worth it? But no, he succumbs to his passion in an entirely too human fashion, showing none of the discipline the Jedi's would have.

Everyone and everything else was really good, but it just how Lucas structured Anakin's fall from grace that lessened the movie for me.

Evil Dark Jedi
05-19-2005, 07:27 PM
10/10. I was good but the jedi purge was just damn sad.

toms
05-19-2005, 08:39 PM
8/10
Some average bits, some good bits, a few great bits. None of the really bad bits from the first two sequels...

...yet somehow the whole thing just seemed lacking something. Maybe its because we knew everything that would happen before hand? Not sure why...

KBell
05-19-2005, 08:56 PM
I give it a 7

Nothin special

Mike Windu
05-19-2005, 10:00 PM
SPOILERS ABOUND. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO READ SPOILERS, PLEASE SKIP THIS POST.

Wasn't quite what I hoped it'd be... but an 7.5-8/10 nonetheless.

The clone war battles were so short. They showed almost absolutely nothing of it, whereas they made a huge showing of it in EP2 on Geonosis. I expected more from the clones.

I also expected more from Grievous. He is portrayed as this huge hardass and I wanted him to have a bigger role as such. He also did lose his extra hands rather quickly, something I felt was dissappointing as it seemed like they just wanted it to get to 2 lightsabers as quickly as possible so as to ease the choreography.

Anakin's joining of the dark side is far too abrupt. What seems to be despair in his attacking of Mace

and what is a good part of showing his inner torment is suddenly moved to where he becomes a Sith. Which was lame. His torment should have been shown more in this part and throughout the movie, although they did a decent job of conveying it.

The Jedi Purge was far too quick and overrated IMHO. If there was more to it, some kind of despair, something to give me some reason to feel bad (besides the younglings). I mean all we got was some clones shooting Jedi in the Temple.

Mace's death = bleh
Duel of the Fates REUSED = bleh
Kashyyk = far too short

I would have liked Order 66 to be explained more, cause they sure as hell didn't mention it anywhere else in the trilogies. Are they designed with this Order inside their mind so that at the blink of an eye they shoot down comrades mercilessly?

Action scenes were less than I expected, which is the main reason why I am lowering the grade on this. Although they were cool, most of the shots consisted of faces not really a fight imo. The Obi v Grievous fight was a letdown. The arrest of Palpy was a semi letdown only because of the other 3 Jedi that die within 2 seconds. (rest in peace Kit Fisto, Saesee Tinn, Agen Kolar) I only got excited when Ani and Obi started their duel, which was pretty damn good. Not Maul good, but good. Yoda v Palpy is only decent. What detracted from their fight was the lack of anything special in what they were doing. And what is with EVERY SINGLE SABER WIELDER PUTTING THE SABER OVER THEIR HEAD. Ani and Dooku did it last time, they did it this time, Palpy does it, hell, what happened to every jedi/sith having a distinct style?

Anakin is evidently very simple minded. "I'm a sith" "k i'll join you"
"the jedi are corrupt" "k" "kill them" "k"

There is no anguish, there is no despair in his execution of the Jedi Purge. It's like he's a mercenary, not some Jedi who has fallen to the dark side.

The clones are far too underused and should have had a much larger part in this movie.

Oh, and Vader's NOOOOOOO. :p
Now, onto the good parts.

The dialogue is much better, reducing the cringe inducing lines from EP2 to mere smirks.

The clone battles were good whenever they appeared.

Obi v Ani is great. Although there wasn't too much fancy stuff ala EP1, it was still amazing to watch. Mustafar was a cool place for a fight also.
What moved me was the exchange between Obi Wan and Anakin. It is very well delivered.

Yoda takes out the Royal Guards/ Clones

Count Dooku's death and Anakin's resulting torment. Hayden shows he really can act when he's thinking over why he's not what he should be.

So, all in all, a good movie. The bad things I listed were really just nitpicks and things I thought should have been done differently for more effect.

Yoda was much better done/acted in this movie than in EP2. He seems wiser, more troubled, and actually has emotion XD
Droids = great comical effect

and R2D2 was AWESOME.
:)

jebbers
05-19-2005, 10:06 PM
5/10

Lemme explain my reasoning

I know the film was mainly about Anakin and his internal conflicts as well as his problems with the council and what-not.

Im disappointed at how short 'lived' Dooku lived, and how he died. The same for General Grievous, I wanted to see him hunt down some of the Jedi. The way the Jedi died during the purge, especially Aayla Secura and Ki-Adi-Mundi. Disappointed at how Kit and Plo died.

But then again it was the Jedi Purge and they had to die.

And i got choked up at the Younglings scene as well.

*runs from high scoring swampies*

IG-64
05-19-2005, 11:32 PM
9/10.

It was awesomely great, it had a couple faults that makes it a 9 but that doesn't mean it wasn't awesomely great.

TK-8252
05-20-2005, 12:09 AM
It had some really awesome points. When the crawl began, everyone was cheering. There was some humor mixed in all that drama, like how R2 sets the Super Battle Droids on fire and how Yoda slams the two Royal Guards against the wall had everyone laughing.

There were some parts that personally I think went through too quick, like the attempted arrest of Palpatine, the Order 66 scenes, especially the Kashyyyk scenes... but it gets the job done, so I'm happy to give it 9 out of 10. :)

Astrotoy7
05-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Mike..... spoiler tags were requested, you could have posted all that stuff in the other thread........oh well

Like ET, I too give it a 9.5.. for *nothing* is ever perfect :) I would give ESB the same as well :)

ROTS is great.... I am glad SW isnt totally dead....we still have 100 hours of TV to wait for....good io bad, its always good to have something to look forward to :) (not to mention the CG series of course)

mtfbwya

Darth Groovy
05-20-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by toms
Only those that have seen it please.

Feel free to add short reviews, but use spoiler tags if you have spoilers. Keep the big discussions in the other thread.

NOTE: Spoilers have crept into several of the post below. If you haven't seen it yet you might want to just check out the poll results and not scroll down.

You did the right thing, and I commend you for it. Allow me to help you out by placing the spoiler warning in your thread title.

Yes I voted 10. I finished reading the book only two days ago, and as much as I enjoyed the book, the movie is far superior. It is hard for me to say if this is "better" than TESB as being my favorite, but I did put ONE interesting formula together only moments ago. I learned that all the "odd" numbered Star Wars movies ARE in fact the best, while the EVEN numbered Star Trek movies are considered THEIR best. Funny how these things happen eh? Yes I STILL love TPM, I don't care what all you haters think anymore.

I'm with InsaneSith, the movie REALLY did exceed my expectations, but the one thing that impressed me the most, is that there is absolutely NO down time in this movie, things move at a rapid pace, and in the end EVERYTHING makes sense, nothing is left open ended. I really appreciated that alot. I'll see this movie SEVERAL more times once the rush dies down. I had to sit all the way in front and I have a horrible neck ache because of that, but it was so worth it. People literally stood up at the end and applauded. That was awsome! :D

ET Warrior
05-20-2005, 05:14 AM
I changed my vote from a 9 to a 10. I'd still say it should be around..a 9.9, as Astro said, no such thing as perfect, but this movie is damn close.

It took a second time seeing it to really feel this way, but I'm saying it's almost certainly my favorite star wars movie. The action, emotion, drama, it has EVERYTHING. Ewan McGregor ASTONISHED me, and I was already a HUGE fan of his. I actually cried a little when he was giving his "You were the chosen one" speech. It totally moved me to tears.

And to anyone whose complaint centers around "so and so scenes were too short". What should Lucas have done? He has a set amount of time in which to put the film, he wanted it to remain approximately the same length as the others, so some scenes had to be cut down to be only as long as was necessary.
Mace's death = bleh
Duel of the Fates REUSED = bleh
Kashyyk = far too short

I thought Mace's death was freakin AWESOME as far as movie scenes go...totally sucks that he died, but awesome nonetheless.

You have a problem with them reusing old music? Would you prefer each movie had a new theme song as well? That's John Williams Style, that's something that REALLY binds the movies together if you ask me. The way you have some songs that are unique to the movie, and then there are the songs that are from others, but different to fit the needs.

And I think Kashyyk was plenty long, there were other far more important things that needed taken care of.

Crow_Nest
05-20-2005, 08:03 AM
I'll be seeing the movie tomorrow yay! Then i'll be able to give a score, i hope it'll be at least an 8 out of 10

Mike Windu
05-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior

I thought Mace's death was freakin AWESOME as far as movie scenes go...totally sucks that he died, but awesome nonetheless.

You have a problem with them reusing old music? Would you prefer each movie had a new theme song as well? That's John Williams Style, that's something that REALLY binds the movies together if you ask me. The way you have some songs that are unique to the movie, and then there are the songs that are from others, but different to fit the needs.

And I think Kashyyk was plenty long, there were other far more important things that needed taken care of.

Mace death was good, but I don't think it did him justice.

Yes, I do have a problem with reusing old music. Especially when it's famous old music. I don't want to be thinking about Darth Maul when I should be fearing Palpatine. Duel of the Fates belongs with Duel of the Fates. If they had used some obscure music from EP 12456 then it would not have mattered to me. Or if they had changed it around a little.

Kashyyk lasted a grand total of 2 minutes, after being featured so prominently. I expected some form of a grand battle. Instead I got a trailer of Battlefront 2 in high res cgi.

Weak Sauce. :xp:

Captain Wilson
05-20-2005, 10:46 AM
9/10. I loved it, the Nooooooooooo! haveing to be one of the most memroblie moments :D. Plus there was GOOD acting!

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Duel of the Fates was used because of the poem sung by the choir. It symbolizes the fight between the jedi and the sith. I think it was perfect input by Williams.

Doomie
05-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Some of the acting was a bit down (In some of the romantic scenes) but otherwise I loved it from beginning to end.

9/10

Lorden Darkblade
05-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Very good in my opinnion.
10/10

ET Warrior
05-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
If they had used some obscure music from EP 12456 then it would not have mattered to me. Or if they had changed it around a little.

So I assume you were pretty pissed when they re-used the Imperial march at the end of Episode II? Or all the little renditions of it in III? And the emperors theme, don't forget that they've been using that in these last couple of movies too. What about the very end of RotS? What about the love song from AotC?

I have no idea what you mean by "After being featured so prominently" but like I said, I was GLAD they didn't waste time on something that overall, didn't progress the plot line, which was already a LITTLE hurried due to sheer volume of matter that had to be dealt with, they gave us the battle, then moved on to important things.

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 03:31 PM
They only used the chorus of Duel of the Fates, and they only did a bit of it twice. And that was only during the Palp/Yoda duel.

jokemaster
05-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I gotta agree with ET. Ewan was awesome in this film, seriously, when he yells at anakin after cutting his legs off, you really feel he didn't want to do that, and he's pissed at Anakin for forcing him to do that.

Mike Windu
05-20-2005, 06:08 PM
So I assume you were pretty pissed when they re-used the Imperial march at the end of Episode II? Or all the little renditions of it in III? And the emperors theme, don't forget that they've been using that in these last couple of movies too. What about the very end of RotS? What about the love song from AotC?

I have no idea what you mean by "After being featured so prominently" but like I said, I was GLAD they didn't waste time on something that overall, didn't progress the plot line, which was already a LITTLE hurried due to sheer volume of matter that had to be dealt with, they gave us the battle, then moved on to important things.

I noticed it, but I wasn't pissed at the Imperial March because it fit. DotF however, seemed very out of place. I don't recall if they created a new theme for the Dooku duel from EP2, but hey, I figure if you're gonna make a song for a duel then leave it in that duel and make another for another big duel.

Glad they didn't use it in the Ani/Obi duel at the very least.

I dunno, maybe it's my pure hatred at DotF's overuse. Maybe I watch stupid fanfilms so much that DotF has become so cliche to me. XD

After being featured and showcased and "OMG THERE'S GONNA BE THIS HUGE WOOKIEE BATTLE AND IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME AND OMG T3H ROXXORS THERE'S GONNA BE CHEWIE IN HERE AND HE'S GONNA KICK SOME ASS WITH THE REST OF THE WOOKIES!"

Overhyped, yes.

But it is what I wanted to see, and surely some others agree? Yes.

tee kay you can come in now >_>

Prime
05-20-2005, 06:50 PM
If you don't like this film, you don't like Star Wars.

Mike Windu
05-20-2005, 07:56 PM
I do like it, I'm just being nitpicky because it didn't live up to my expectations and I'm explaining why.

It's still a good movie. >_>

PR-0927
05-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Prime
If you don't like this film, you don't like Star Wars.

Word.

This movie moved me mentally and emotionally. I think I have been changed, mainly due to the way that Anakin causes Darth Sidius to kill Mace Windu. Mace could have ended it right there, there would be no more evil or betrayals happening. It was extremely dark. I understood why some critics had cried when watching it. I also was saddened by Order 66 and the death of almost every Jedi. The way the clone troopers just turned without question and betrayed the Jedi was scary for me.

:fett:

ET Warrior
05-20-2005, 08:02 PM
I do like it, I'm just being nitpicky because it didn't live up to my expectations and I'm explaining why.I suppose that's what you get for giving in to hype and over-indulging on spoiler material. I stayed as spoiler-free from this movie as I could, and I was COMPLETELY blown away by it.

and if DotF seemed out of place I would say you're just TRYING to find things to dislike, honestly. For me the music was all mood-setters, and the first time I saw it I honestly didn't even NOTICE it was DotF playing, it was just emotional driving music.

I suppose some people just can't be satisfied. :giveup:

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 08:10 PM
I suppose that's what you get for giving in to hype and over-indulging on spoiler material. I stayed as spoiler-free from this movie as I could, and I was COMPLETELY blown away by it.

Dude, I was spoiled like the whore with the heart of gold pimp (haha, chinese cinema!). This movie still surprised me. It's one thing to hear about stuff, and see stills. It's a completely different thing to see it. It surpassed all my expectations, and I knew a lot of what was going to happen.

and if DotF seemed out of place I would say you're just TRYING to find things to dislike, honestly.

I suppose some people just can't be satisfied. :giveup: Too true. You people need to lighten up, you treat these movies as if they're mind altering cinematic features that complete change you vision of life and reality.

ZBomber
05-20-2005, 08:15 PM
I was only spoiled to a few things (Lava, Padme dying, Order 66, and the Younglings). Everything else shocked the hell out of me and I'm glad I wasn't too spoiled. :eek:

BongoBob
05-20-2005, 08:19 PM
As someone that talks to mike on AIM, he does this with just about everything :)

Anyhoodles, I am hoping to see it again tomarrow. Being spoler free really helped the experience for me. My friend is staying the night, and we both have monmey to pay for our own tickets. We'll take the bus if we have to. Being spoler free really helped the experience for me.

And the Episode III game is a great addition to the movie, because of all the extra stuff, such as anakin lifting up the jedi librarian wiht the force and pulling her into his saber

I think I'll buy like 9 copies of this when it comes out >.> <.<

El Sitherino
05-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Can't wait for Novemeber when the DVD comes out. Until then I'll be seeing it at theatres. Already seen it twice, might go see it again today even though I saw it earlier. XD

Mike Windu
05-20-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't do this with LotR. :p

I dunno. I'll see it a second time, possibly a third. I mean I like the movie, don't get me wrong. (how many times have I said that here...)

It's just stuff that I disliked in it. I'm not TRYING to find it. It's just noticeable to me.

jokemaster
05-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Just don't think about it.

Anyway, heading out to see it a second time tonight

Crow_Nest
05-21-2005, 05:07 AM
Just came back from watching, it was freggin awesome!!! Sad that Jar Jar didnt die (I hate that guy!) But it was still MUCH better and exciting than Episode 1 and 2.

I'd give it a 9/10

Alegis
05-21-2005, 05:16 AM
7/10 for now.

It only started to get good after mace's dead, which is an excellent scene.

Battles were too superficial and short, just some quick views over kashyyyk and the dinosaur planet. Fights with dooku and grievous were dissapointing as well, too quick done and grievous really didn't kick any ass as much as he does in the clone wars series.

The scene on mustafar was easily one of the best out of the entire star wars saga. Not because of the fight but because the acting looked real and if you didn't really believe Anakin to be evil by then, the image of him getting on fire and showing his anger must have.
Vader's Nooo was a bit too much.

Mustafar port felt like Knights Of the Old republic, one small port/city on an entire planet where almost no one is.

EP II surpasses this film in being good in overall length, this one had its moments.

BawBag™
05-21-2005, 05:24 AM
4/10

I can only sum it up as better than the first two, no patch on the OT.

Lynk Former
05-21-2005, 11:47 AM

All of the other movies in the series made this Revenge the best.

Mike Windu
05-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Alegis
7/10 for now.

Battles were too superficial and short, just some quick views over kashyyyk and the dinosaur planet. Fights with dooku and grievous were dissapointing as well, too quick done and grievous really didn't kick any ass as much as he does in the clone wars series.

Vader's Nooo was a bit too much.

Success! XD

I was dissappointed by Grievous in the movie. They play him out to be some badass and has a good part in the movie because hell, he's the general of the droid army.

*goes to watch Clone Wars Grievous*

Feanaro
05-21-2005, 02:42 PM
I gave it 10/10. I thought this movie was awesome, and i can't wait to see it for the third time. (I'm waiting cause i don't wanna get burned out) I did feel the beginning was rushed as did ET, but after the second time, it was perfect. I guess i can't say i was mad about how anything happened, or that they didn't show enought of one thing, becuase i went in with no expectations.I was dissappointed by Grievous in the movie. They play him out to be some badass and has a good part in the movie because hell, he's the general of the droid army.
Well, Ep III isn't about General Grievous, it's about Anakins turn to the dark side, so i can't say i'm disapointed by him this movie. Plus I already had a feeling he was going to be the Darth Maul of Ep. III. And it's possible you are finding many things wrong with it because it didn't happen the way that you had hoped? going into a movie such as this with super high expectations of certain things happening the way you want it to, might be why you feel that way.

ET Warrior
05-21-2005, 04:59 PM
I have to laugh at everyone whose argument about greivous includes "He was played up to be this great badass etc."

How much time was Greivous in ANY trailers? he was NEVER played up to be a badass as far as the movie was concerned. Sure, he was wicked tough in the Clone Wars series, but the clone wars aren't RotS, now are they?

He was played up to be a supreme badass in this movie in YOUR MIND. And so I have no sympathy for anyone who is upset about his role. He played the part that needed to be played.

El Sitherino
05-21-2005, 05:13 PM
He was played up to be a supreme badass in this movie in YOUR MIND. And so I have no sympathy for anyone who is upset about his role. He played the part that needed to be played. Correct.

*sniffs* I smell the burning flesh of fanboys.

Mike Windu
05-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Yeah I had high expectations. I also had high expectations for other trilogies as well. Matrix failed me, but LotR did not.

I guess I expect each movie to be as good as the last. But I can't complain about that becaue EP3 is indeed better than EP2.

XD
I had feelings that Grievous would be the next Darth Maul, Feanaro. Sadly, he turned out to be somewhat sucky.

*flesh doesn't burn*

ET Warrior
05-21-2005, 10:39 PM
I had feelings that Grievous would be the next Darth Maul, Feanaro. Sadly, he turned out to be somewhat sucky.

Let's see....Darth Maul got killed by Obi-wan when he was still a padawan, Greivous went up against Obi-wan when he was a full-fledged Jedi Master.

What a surprise Obi-wan killed him so quickly :rolleyes:

Mike Windu
05-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Let's see....Darth Maul got killed by Obi-wan when he was still a padawan, Greivous went up against Obi-wan when he was a full-fledged Jedi Master.

What a surprise Obi-wan killed him so quickly

Let us not forget, ET, that General Grievous went up against 5 Jedi, held his own, injured 2, and killed 2.

2 of them Jedi Knights and 1 Jedi Master

XD

Derc
05-22-2005, 12:45 AM

Easily the best Star Wars movie, IMO.

narfblat
05-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Let us not forget, ET, that General Grievous went up against 5 Jedi, held his own, injured 2, and killed 2.

XD Grievous was injured, so he wasn't at his best when he fought Obi-Wan

Lightsaberboy
05-22-2005, 02:58 AM
what was up with grevious' constant coughing? Was it because of that time in the end of Clone Wars when Mace owned him in like 2 seconds as he was flying off?

and i was kind of disappointed by Mace's death.

but all in all, much better than the other 2. i rate it a 9.

Loki GM
05-22-2005, 04:12 AM
9/10

I went in spoiler free and thought it was amazing and was wrapped up nicely at the end.

The movie didnt start off to well but after a while it totaly made up for the disapointment I was left with after seeing episodes 1&2 (though I did like 1&2 they just didnt live up to their full potential)

did anyone else notice the millennium falcon in the begining???

ET Warrior
05-22-2005, 04:32 AM

XD

Let us not forget Mike, that never happened in the movie, so it has no bearing on the movie.

You can hardly take everything in the Clone Wars literally, because if so, there is absolutely NO way any of the jedi masters were killed by clone troopers. Mace windu himself killed like, 500 super battle droids like it was nothing.

Lightsaberboy
05-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Let us not forget Mike, that never happened in the movie, so it has no bearing on the movie.

You can hardly take everything in the Clone Wars literally, because if so, there is absolutely NO way any of the jedi masters were killed by clone troopers. Mace windu himself killed like, 500 super battle droids like it was nothing.

but the clones took the jedi by surprise. i mean, what general of an army would expect his troops to up and turn on him in an instant?

Mike Windu
05-22-2005, 05:07 AM
I'm not saying it's not beefed up in the Clone Wars. Cause it is.

What I'm sayin is even if toned down, he could have taken a master and a knight easily. Obi should have had much more trouble with him.

Cause yeah, Mace can't kill 500 droids on his own.

Man it's a good thing you didn't say "what? the CW cartoon doesn't count in RotS!" Cause I had somethin comin :p

EDIT: you did! :D Unless I read it wrong :p

So why the hell is he coughing his lungs out if Mace didn't crush them in the movie?

But hey, who am I to argue :)

Alegis
05-22-2005, 05:45 AM
I said the battles were dissapointing. Windu gets killed in an instant after just force pushing Obi-Wan around; and grievous just throws Obi-Wan around until he gets hit.
Sure they're not the main dish but even as background chars its dissapointing.

As for Jedi getting killed it seemed 'realistic'. Don't forget how many died in Geonosis by blaster shots (the dinosaur one for example by Jango).
They get too many blastershots in their back at a surprising moment or they get killed while in a vehicle.

Joetheeskimo
05-22-2005, 10:02 AM
I can't see Ep3 for another week :(

Mike Windu
05-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Alegis
I said the battles were dissapointing. Windu gets killed in an instant after just force pushing Obi-Wan around

:confused: What? >_> <_<

Did I fall asleep or somethin? :p

Troopr-Undr-Fir
05-22-2005, 01:47 PM
I gave it a 10/10

Everything just fit. That's how you close a series that is almost 30 years old :D... Well, for the movies anyway :p

So many duels, and tehy all made me cream my pants.

I was sitting with my girlfriend, hold her hand tightly, and just before the purging(I didn't spoil myself all that much, but I could still tell when the purge was gonna happen ) I told her to keep calm, and good thing I said that, because it was so emotional, she was crying, and tears were rolling down my face as well.

I just love the bits where the OT comes into play. Like how Obi kills Grevious, with a blaster, his line afterwards just makes it so cool ;)

Love the parallel between Ani and Padme' on the operating tables.

And this might just have been me, but when Organa told the officer to wipe the protocol droids memory, he never said anything about R2... And then I got to thinking, that this may be why in th OT r2 is always the one who saves the day somehow. Because he knows everything, but never says a word.

That was really cool to me, even though I might be wrong.

I was expecting a Star Wars movie. And I got a master piece.

Excellent job Georgie-boy :)

El Sitherino
05-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Grievous had 10 minutes, I think that's long enough. Plus Grievous was injured, no matter how bad ass, when you've had your lungs collapsed you're bound to suck against a master like Obi-Wan.

Mike Windu
05-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Grievous had 10 minutes, I think that's long enough.

But he barely did anything in those 10 minutes, which is what I'm dissappointed in.

Plus Grievous was injured, no matter how bad ass, when you've had your lungs collapsed you're bound to suck against a master like Obi-Wan.

Makes sense. I never expected Grievous to win, of course Obi Wan would win, but all I wanted was a good fight.

To a little extent, I got it, but it could have been alot better. After GG finished spinning his sabers and showing off, the fight took a turn for the worse.

Meh. XD

El Sitherino
05-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I think they were kind of alluding back to earlier when Anakin cuts off Dooku's hands. Grievous had pointed out he was trained by Count Dooku, and Dooku had lost his hand by a slide-n-chop by Anakin. And if you watch, you'll notice Grievous didn't exactly follow Dooku's advice from the clone wars about using the unorthodox. Being unpredictable. Obi had found his pattern, and he used it to his advantage. :p

He could have been better, but there really was no point.

Mike Windu
05-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I think they were kind of alluding back to earlier when Anakin cuts off Dooku's hands. Grievous had pointed out he was trained by Count Dooku

I think you're nuts for reading that much into the movie :p

j/k

And if you watch, you'll notice Grievous didn't exactly follow Dooku's advice from the clone wars about using the unorthodox. Being unpredictable. Obi had found his pattern, and he used it to his advantage.

Whether he was or wasn't unorthodox we'll never know because of the abundance of HEAD SHOTS during the duel.

This is what pissed me off in Episode 2 also. ZOOMING on the actor's face mainly, not getting full body shots of the action, just faces with lights twirling about.

Weak :p

Dooku's duel, although short, was pretty good. So I can't argue that. The only thing lame about it was Obi being portrayed as a weakling :p

Prime
05-22-2005, 03:51 PM
I do like it, I'm just being nitpicky because it didn't live up to my expectations and I'm explaining why.

It's still a good movie. >_> I wasn't directing that at you Mike. :) It isn't a perfect movie, and there is always room for criticism.

In terms of ranking them all, I think that is the funny thing. ROTS does so much to add power and weight to the original trilogy that now 4-6 are better than they ever were before. I think 4-6 are still the best, and the goodness of ROTS makes them so.

ET Warrior
05-22-2005, 03:56 PM
The face shots really help the fights in my opinion, it shows alot more emotion, and the drama is more intense.

Go watch Episode I again, they had a lot of closeups on peoples faces during the duel of the fates.

El Sitherino
05-22-2005, 04:05 PM
RoTJ.

The final duel, we had quite a few face shots. Because they had to show the emotion, the drive of the fight.

Mike Windu
05-22-2005, 04:25 PM
lol

I think you guys mistook what I meant, and I can see why, it wasn't very clear.

I don't mind face shots, they do show emotion, drive, etc.

Just... they had like... A TON of it in EP2. More face than saber in the Dooku v Ani duel :D It was toned down in EP3 but I would have liked to have seen more choreography during the minor duels. The Mustafar duel was a perfect blend of omniscent camera angles and close up shots.

Tyrion
05-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Alright, am I just some uncaring bastard? I didn't feel any sorrow at all when the purging happend. The Jedi being killed was my favorite scene in the movie, but more for the emotional impact of the betrayal rather than the actual deaths. Infact, when Anakin killed the Younglings I didn't feel anything...

LukeKatarn
05-22-2005, 06:29 PM
8/10.

SPOILERS BELOW!

Pros: Humerous droids, "The DUel", Yoda knocking back the ROyal Guards, and R2-D2 kicking droids butts in the beggining, not to mention the truely real CG graphics.

COns: The droids voices, THEY RUINED THEM! COmpare the BDs to episode one and two. I also hated Mace gonna kill Palpy, and Obi just leaveing Annie there.

Hermie
05-22-2005, 06:36 PM
OK, me+Pie+friends went for the second screening today, and I noticed something.
Grievous coughs. cough = lungs. lungs = breathe. breathe = the amazing ability to NOT jump out of spaceships and live. :p

El Sitherino
05-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Alright, am I just some uncaring bastard? Yes. Seek therapy.

Originally posted by LukeKatarn
Obi just leaveing Annie there. He left Vader there, not Ani.

Originally posted by Herminator
breathe = the amazing ability to NOT jump out of spaceships and live. :p ZOOM HOLD YOUR BREATH LIKE OBI AND ANI!

Mike Windu
05-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Personally, although the Purge sucked for the Jedi, I didn't really feel as much emotion as I should have.

I thought the younglings' scene was kind of funny.

>_>

I'm a bad boy, but the kid was too cute and funny sounding! :xp:

KBell
05-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Personally i think the movie had too much humor in it.

The droids were funny and all, but some parts weren't even trying to be funny. AKA Palpatine having digestive problems when i was fighting Mace Windu.

It was freekin hilarious when Yoda too out those Royal Guards though......priceless lol

edlib
05-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Very well done. A true return to form for Lucas, which is really what I had hoped to see today.

A few minor quibbles, (many of the same ones others have already voiced...) but it's a movie, and the reality of movie-making dictates that not everything want to see on screen or you think should be there can be. Sacrifices need to be made to advance the story.

When "THE DUEL" started I got chills up my spine. I have been waiting to see that since 1977.

Wow!

Astrotoy7
05-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Herminator
OK, me+Pie+friends went for the second screening today, and I noticed something.
Grievous coughs. cough = lungs. lungs = breathe. breathe = the amazing ability to NOT jump out of spaceships and live. :p

ah, fanboys debating repspiratory physiology of a CG movie character :p

I dont know grievous 'specs' but it wouldnt be absurd to assume he is on a respirator...like vader, most of his body was destroyed and what was left of him was re-assembled into a supportive casing..

I know his original species was khaleesh but i cant remember reading anything about whether or not they were native 0xy-breathers anyway ..

does it really matter ? :)

mtfbwya

Mike Windu
05-23-2005, 12:23 AM
The noble Herminator hath said Grievous was breathing. If so, it was a grievous fault, and grievously hath Grievous paid for it.

Khier
05-23-2005, 04:36 AM
8/10

Good flick, much better than the first two, in my opinion.

Now... I don't exactly see the flipping point of debating the respiratory physiology of a CGI character either, but I do recognize the movie wasn't perfect. Good, but not perfect.

The visual effects were pretty well flawless, from the space battles to the saber duels. On the subject of saber duels, though, I have to agree with some people about the emphasis on face shots... yes, they do convey the emotion that is necessary to the scene, but... I thought there was just a tad too much of it. Kinda one of those weird little nitpicks you pick up, almost subconsciously. Dialogue was... well I guess I've grown accustomed to Lucas' sometimes cheesy line writing, but fortunately the most important scenes had good dialogue. Acting was pretty good all around, Christensen was at his best when he finally fell to the dark side, and McGregor was simply great throughout the entire thing. The other characters didn't grab my attention much; Portman was alright considering she had little onscreen time. Yoda (Frank Oz) made his best prequel performance by far. Samuel L. Jackson was... surprisingly dull actually, he just lacked personality considering Mace’s character was supposed to be somewhat of a renegade as well. McDiarmid, however, was cool as ****, the guy was born for that part as he just oozed evil.

Time for some spoiler-containing comments now: Windu's death didn't really seem contrived (Maul's death still pisses me off), but it was too damn short. There was no real fight between Anakin and Mace at all, which sucked. The Purge was moving, but there wasn't a whole lot of emotion stirring for me. The implied demise of the younglings was a little more heart wrenching. But what REALLY got to me (I didn't tear up though... honest :o) was the scene at the end of the Mustafar duel, when Anakin is lying there grunting and screaming in agony with only a couple limbs left, and Obi-Wan gives his "chosen one" speech, then Ani’s robes catch fire and the whole atmosphere becomes ten times darker as you see his flesh burn and scorch into utter disfigurement. That and the interchanging shots between Padme's child birthing and Anakin's smoldering, disfigured body being operated and transformed into one of the most iconic bad guys of our time.

I'm extremely satisfied that the most emotionally charged scenes are (in my personal opinion) the darkest in the entire Star Wars series.

KBell
05-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Wow, Obi's 'chosen one' speech was absolutly brilliant, i got to give it that. THATS what really brought this whole trilogy to a close for me.

toms
05-23-2005, 01:36 PM
I actually don't mind the face shots in duels approach if it is done well and for good reason.

The Ep1 duel is cool for example, but mainly because ray park looks like he can actually kick butt. But on the whole i prefer the ep2 one. It has many more face shots (probably cos christopher lee is getting on a bit to be doing backflips) but its much more atmospheric with only the light of the sabers in the dark.

ep3 was kind of a mix between the two.. although i did think a few of the moves teh jedi pulled looked a bit fake... the animation just didn't seem natural or as if it obeyed the laws of physics (as much as they should apply to jedi). This was probably only noticable because te rest of the animation/cgi was so good.

I might have said they overdid the droid humour, but it was a heck of a lot better than the excessive and BAD humour in the first two, so i won't complain.

I'm off again tomorrow with a load of casual SW fans, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up on second viewing. The first two were both worse on second viewing, when you started to notice the flaws once the WOW factor wore off. Then again, i didn't like FotR the first time, and its now one of my fave films. Interesting to see their reaction too, as the audience reaction the first time i went was more like "muted approval/relief" than "ecstatic joy".

jon_hill987
05-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Now My exams are over I have finaly got round to seeing it.

Wow, brillaint film, gets 10/10 from me.

boinga1
06-03-2005, 11:32 AM
I give it a 9/10. However, I have to say that IT WAS FEAKIN' AWESOME.

I almost wet my pants when the crawl started and then during the sibsequent, awesome space battle. I thought the Obi/Grievous exchange seemed a little phony - Grievous fought more like a giant table saw then like a Sith Lord. I The Kashykk (sp) scene felt almost uneeded, it was only 2 or 3 minutes. Of course, I don't really like Wookies anyway, so it doesn't bother me.
Anakin's betrayal seemed too easy, too simple, as some have said. Furthermore, it was just downright stupid that, after he found out Palp was a Sith, he just left him there alone to tell the Jedi. "Oh, you're the most evil person in the galaxy. I'm gonna leave you here but I'll be RIGHT BACK, don't go anywhere, k?"
I thought the DOTF and subsequent duels were awesome. I hated to say old Yoda lose. What really got me was that he was all, "Failed I have. Run away forever I will. Try again I cannot." It just seemed pessimistic for a Jedi.
Also - the last thing - that bugged me and my Enlgish teacher - If Padme died in childbirth, THEN HOW THE HECK does Leia remember her in Episode VI??!?

My only somplaint - Hayden C. sucks. He was trying to be cool in those evil scenes, but whenever he started trying to talk louder, his voice just kept getting weaker and weaker. Really a bummer, for me anyways.

Mike Windu
06-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Grievous *isn't* a Sith lord... :p

And as for Anakin leaving Palpatine, it's not like the Chancellor could go anywhere nor would he want to. Anakin just wanted to tell the Council so they could deal with it and arrest him/put him on trial etc. Then when Mace kicks Palpy's ass and tries to finish the job, Ani's all "I NEED HIM YOU HAVE TO PUT HIM ON TRIAL"

See? :p

Ian McDiarmid did a decent job of Palpatine, give or take some really really goofy facial expressions, but I'll let that pass since he's an old guy. :D

I was very pleased with Hayden in this movie, however. It's a huge step from EP2. XD

Datheus
06-03-2005, 03:05 PM
I've been hearing a lot of people complaining about Leia knowing her mother. Luke and Leia never knew they were siblings, remember?

Leia was never told she was adopted. She thought her mother on Alderaan was her birth mother.

This was done to protect everyone involved.

I'm 95% sure that's how it was.

edlib
06-03-2005, 03:54 PM
As far as the Anakin turning to the dark side thing:

In addition to needing Palpy alive to help him with Padme, he just helped a Sith Lord kill the #2 Jedi Master in the entire galaxy. How exactly was he going to go back and tell the rest of the Jedi that? "Oh by the way, Palpatine is a badass Sith Lord, but Master Windu had him cornered... that is until I came in and cut his hands off. Then Palpatine killed him. Uh,.. sorry."

He was placed in an impossible situation. He couldn't go to the Jedi for fear of them getting Palpy/ Sideous, leading to him losing Padme. Plus he would surely be punished severely himself for assisting in Mace Windu's death.

Besides... it was his destiny to go to the dark side. If it seemed that it happened quickly, it's because he was already part way there. And it needed to happen that way for the rest of the movies to work... ;)

Actually, the Ep. III novelization shows his decent into the dark side as far more subtle, gradual and realistic. But that's hard to show in a movie that was already a bit longer than the other movies without causing everything else to drag. GL probably just felt it was best to 'cut to the chase' and get it over with and make him Vader ASAP.

PS -- How soon before we can stop using spoiler tags??

ET Warrior
06-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Datheus
Leia was never told she was adopted. She thought her mother on Alderaan was her birth mother.
Yet, in the conversation luke asks if she remembers her mother. Her REAL mother.

Thus, it seems obvious there IS a distinction between Leia's real mother and Mrs. Organa. ;)

However, everyone seems to forget the wording Leia uses to recall her mother.

The key terms are, of course, that all she has are "Images and feelings." Those aren't really what you have with solid actual memories of a person. We are also aware that sensitivity to the force can grant one visions of the present, future, or even the past.

Odds are, Leia's memories are Force related.

OR, they're false memories.

OR, it REALLY doesn't matter, get over it.

TiE23
06-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Uhhgg, I finally see it and LF falls into the bowls of technical hell, now I can finally report what I thought about it.....

Anakin got PWNT at the end! :D
9.9/10

TiE

jon_hill987
06-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Ok, while we are all bringing up silly points did anyone notice Obi-Wan pick up Anakins saber after their duel? I didn't. so how come in Ep IV he can give it to luke?

"your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough..."

Not that it matters, and for all i know I just missed him picking it up.

Spider AL
06-03-2005, 08:26 PM
I'll be perfectly frank, the film was awful, and I'm sorry I went to see it. Like both the previous prequels it has only sullied my memory of the original trilogy, which were classics.

They were not merely classics because of their ground-breaking effects, but classics because of their heroic and villainous archetypes, their mature plotlines, and the fact that the actors were talented enough and committed enough to make their roles (and indeed their interactions with various muppet characters) believable.

All that remains of "Star Wars" in Lucas' prequel trilogy is the opening crawl, the lightsabres and the state-of-the-art effects. And that's not enough to make a film as good as ESB, ANH... or even RotJ.

As for RotS specifically, it had many flaws that make it ghastly, albeit marginally fewer flaws than TPM or AotC. Specifically:

Anakin's turning to the dark side was crassly unbelievable and rapid, and poor drama in general.
Palpatine getting his hands dirty with a lightsabre merely sullies the omnipotent menace of the character (As did yoda's fight scene in AotC)
The chemistry between Anakin and Padme was (as ever) non-existent, making their "romance" unacceptably false.
The dialogue was frankly the worst I've heard since Gigli, and the actors knew it.
The sheer reliance on overly busy CGI was pathetic, as ever.
And perhaps worst of all, the memory of the immortal character of Vader is belittled by Anakin's poor characterisation. Vader's no longer a dignified terror commanding vast forces both terrestrial and ethereal... he's a whiny, gullible twit.

On the plus side, we got to see Hayden get dismembered and burst into flames. That's an image that will keep me warm at night. Honestly, the boy was so wooden that when he made his entrance I thought someone had thrown a chair into the room.

Don't for one moment think that I went into this movie biased against it. On the contrary I'd heard that it was a return to form, that it was the only one of the prequels that would be worth keeping, that it was a worthy Star Wars film. Nothing would have made me happier, I wanted nothing more.

After the monstrously tedious, ill-conceived (and nominally racist) debacle that was TPM, the ghastly waste of two hours and five pounds (AotC) and the hideous mauling of the original films in the recently released DVD set, I didn't think that Lucas was capable of disappointing me further. I vowed that my hopes for the new film wouldn't rise high enough to be knocked brutally down.

I failed in my vow.

Lucas disappoints once more. The man can't write, plot or direct.

ET Warrior
06-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by jon_hill987
Ok, while we are all bringing up silly points did anyone notice Obi-Wan pick up Anakins saber after their duel? I didn't. Then you weren't paying much attention, because they made a point to show him picking it up off of the ground.

edlib
06-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Yes. Obi-Wan clearly picks up the saber... although that makes what he told Luke a blatant lie. In fact, it seems that he ended up telling Luke an awful lot of lies in thier short time together.

One other small bit of Ep. III continuity strangeness that I haven't seen anyone else pick up on (I'll call this one "How Quickly They Forget"):

In Ep. III Chewbacca is seen fighting alongside the Jedi on his own planet, and it even seems that he was pretty friendly with Yoda. Even personally helped him escape the Clone Troops once the purge began.

Yet, in Ep. IV (ANH) he isn't seen giving any special respect towards Obi-Wan and Luke, even when Luke is clearly training with a lightsaber on board the Falcon.
In fact, on the Death Star (#1) he grunts something to the effect of "Who does this guy think he is?" just before Han says "You said it Chewie! Where did you dig up this old fossil?" and Luke says "Ben is a great man!"

That doesn't seem to be the attitude of someone who was once friends with Jedi.

It's a little thing, but something that struck me.

BawBag™
06-04-2005, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Spider AL
Anakin's turning to the dark side was crassly unbelievable and rapid, and poor drama in general.
Palpatine getting his hands dirty with a lightsabre merely sullies the omnipotent menace of the character (As did yoda's fight scene in AotC)
The chemistry between Anakin and Padme was (as ever) non-existent, making their "romance" unacceptably false.
The dialogue was frankly the worst I've heard since Gigli, and the actors knew it.
The sheer reliance on overly busy CGI was pathetic, as ever.
And perhaps worst of all, the memory of the immortal character of Vader is belittled by Anakin's poor characterisation. Vader's no longer a dignified terror commanding vast forces both terrestrial and ethereal... he's a whiny, gullible twit.

All excellent points, but as for the last one, I think Vader's character was marred by that horribly cheesy "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" scream :|

I do like how you've described the whole Emperor/Yoda lightsaber thing, It's what I was thinking but just couldn't put it into words.

Overall though, I wouldn't say the film was awful, just not good.

ET Warrior
06-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by edlib
In Ep. III Chewbacca is seen fighting alongside the Jedi on his own planet, and it even seems that he was pretty friendly with Yoda. Even personally helped him escape the Clone Troops once the purge began.

Yet, in Ep. IV (ANH) he isn't seen giving any special respect towards Obi-Wan and Luke, even when Luke is clearly training with a lightsaber on board the Falcon.
In fact, on the Death Star (#1) he grunts something to the effect of "Who does this guy think he is?" just before Han says "You said it Chewie! Where did you dig up this old fossil?" and Luke says "Ben is a great man!"

Well, I don't remember the specifics of the scene in ANH with crystal clarity, but when luke is practicing with the lightsaber, was Chewie actually in the room? Because if not, it's entirely possible/probable that Han didn't mention it, as he didn't really see any point to tell Chewie.

And since Chewie probably never met Obi-wan pre RotS, it's unlikely he'd recognize him.

However, if chewie WAS in the room at the time, my theory sucks ;)

Darth Rythe
06-04-2005, 07:12 AM
For any STAR WARS fan, you find it, very orgasmic!

:deathstar

jon_hill987
06-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Then you weren't paying much attention, because they made a point to show him picking it up off of the ground.

Ok, you got me, i must have blinked. :rolleyes:

Spider AL
06-04-2005, 09:30 AM
However, if chewie WAS in the room at the time, my theory sucks Sorry mate, you theory doth suck. ;) Chewie was playing holographic chess with R2 in the same room as Luke and Ben in the practice scene.

That's another reason I disliked the new film, the sheer lack of continuity with the OT. Even the few attempts to add continuity turned out to be worse than a lack of continuity: they were crass. It seems as though Lucas really does want to replace the OT rather than add to it... but he doesn't have the chops to pull it off. The OT was a group effort, the PT is Lucas' effort.

All excellent points, but as for the last one, I think Vader's character was marred by that horribly cheesy "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" scream :|Ugh, yeah... that was awful.

In the OT, vader was said to have been "seduced by the dark side". But in the prequels he seems to have been duped through sheer gullibility towards the dark side. It's harsh for the character.

Pie™
06-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Soo... Did anyone read Maddox's "review"? :p

Review (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=episode3)

Spider AL
06-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Yehehehe. The illustrations are priceless.

BawBag™
06-04-2005, 10:17 AM
"Note my furrowed brows!" :lol:

Mike Windu
06-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Pie™
Soo... Did anyone read Maddox's "review"? :p

Review (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=episode3)

:lol:

That was awesome XD

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=150

:D

Hermie
06-04-2005, 01:25 PM
:lol:

That was awesome XD

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=150

*runs before Sithy implodes*

Mike Windu
06-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Shush Herm >.>

It's still funny :p

After the monstrously tedious, ill-conceived (and nominally racist) debacle that was TPM

Explain the racist part >_> I don't recall any racism <_<

ET Warrior
06-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Sorry mate, you theory doth suck. ;) Chewie was playing holographic chess with R2 in the same room as Luke and Ben in the practice scene.

I'd thought perhaps he was....

Well in that case....meh.

As for your continuity issues Al, I'd rather like to hear them.

Spider AL
06-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Explain the racist part >_> I don't recall any racism <_<What, you don't think that Jar Jar the comedy-black-slave-man and the evil Oriental- I mean Nemoidian- trade federation... weren't demeaning to one's sense of propriety?

I hate people who bandy the word "racist" around needlessly. I'm fervently anti-PC, but even I had to admit after watching TPM... that it was a tad suspect in this respect.

As for your continuity issues Al, I'd rather like to hear them.Mmkay. We're all aware of the obvious continuity errors, the above mentioned Chewie debacle a good example; and the fact that Leia couldn't have any memories of her real mother because she died too early in RotS; and the fact that Ben, Owen and Beru seem to have had their memories wiped by the time of ANH; and the fact that Ben states that Luke "was our last hope" when he MUST be aware that Leia is Anakin's child according to RotS; And R2-D2's incredible abilities showcased in RotS that he's seemingly... lost the hang of by the time of ANH :rolleyes:

But you'll remember I also said: "Even the few attempts to add continuity turned out to be worse than a lack of continuity: they were crass." I'll give you some examples of this crassness:

1. Lucas added R2 and C3PO into TPM to try to give it some legitimacy as a Star Wars film. Naturally he failed in this respect, but what he DID do was to shove the droids into a film they had no business being in. Vader builds C3PO does he? Give me a break. This created an untenable situation in which the only out was the tried and trusted old plot device... MEMORY LOSS! Yep, erase the droids memories and all's right with the world. Shame they couldn't lobotomise Chewie while they were at it.

2. Palpatine's appearance was normal in TPM and AotC, leading the fans to wonder how and why he'd turn all 0gly and old-looking by the time of ESB. Some of the more realism-oriented among us harboured the view that Palpy either... oh, I don't know... AGED BETWEEN AotC and ESB? By, let's say... a couple of decades? :rolleyes:

Perhaps his exposure to the darkest reaches of the dark-side caused him to degrade in appearance until his exterior matched his interior?

Perhaps he always looked that way, but concealed it from society at large through the use of the Force?

Any and all of these things could have been the case... But no, Lucas couldn't leave well enough alone. There had to be one short, sharp... and slightly odd incident that made the Emperor an ugly old man within the space of a single scene. Crass.

3. In the Original Trilogy, Jedi vanished when they died, and they could communicate with the living. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE GODDAMN JEDI! Spiritual monk-like warriors! They can do all sorts of spooky things, why does this one have to be explained in any more detail than moving objects through telekinesis?

He could have just left it alone, but George just had to get his grubby paws stuck in and provide a non-spiritual explanation devoid of long words for his fanbase. Like "Midichlorians".

In RotS Yoda mentions in passing that Qui-Gon Jinn pops back from the land of the dead to teach him this whole "beyond the grave" thing every so often, because it's a skill.

Oh GOD.

As I said before, tying up loose ends BADLY makes them more noticable than simply leaving them untied. And some ends are meant to be loose. That's their charm.

In short, the prequel trilogy was like a mediocre fanfic. It wasn't Star Wars.

Mike Windu
06-04-2005, 03:43 PM
What, you don't think that Jar Jar the comedy-black-slave-man and the evil Oriental- I mean Nemoidian- trade federation... weren't demeaning to one's sense of propriety?

:lol: Now that you mention it, the Trade Federation has an asian accent :xp:

Maybe I'm just used to it >_>

2. Palpatine's appearance was normal in TPM and AotC, leading the fans to wonder how and why he'd turn all 0gly and old-looking by the time of ESB. Some of the more realism-oriented among us harboured the view that Palpy either... oh, I don't know... AGED BETWEEN AotC and ESB? By, let's say... a couple of decades? :rolleyes:

Perhaps his exposure to the darkest reaches of the dark-side caused him to degrade in appearance until his exterior matched his interior?

Perhaps he always looked that way, but concealed it from society at large through the use of the Force?

Any and all of these things could have been the case... But no, Lucas couldn't leave well enough alone. There had to be one short, sharp... and slightly odd incident that made the Emperor an ugly old man within the space of a single scene. Crass.

:lol: Very nice. Although the idea of the Emperor succumbing more and deforming because of the dark side seems a more logical idea (see Anakin's eyes for example), the whole Palpy transformation scene wasn't that bad.

Permission to use Vader's no longer a dignified terror commanding vast forces both terrestrial and ethereal... he's a whiny, gullible twit.

in signature sir? XD

Spider AL
06-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Very nice. Although the idea of the Emperor succumbing more and deforming because of the dark side seems a more logical idea (see Anakin's eyes for example), the whole Palpy transformation scene wasn't that bad.That's where the subjectivity comes in. I think most of us will agree that Lucas' little judgement calls weren't ideal... but some people like me will rabidly despise them while others (like yourself) will only exhibit a mild preference for something better than Lucas' choices.

Heck, some people will even actively enjoy the choices he made, after all "Gigli", "Armageddon" and "Titanic" all had their fans. Why not RotS? A film doesn't have to be good nor intelligent to be popular.

The alternately sad and comforting thing is that the Original Trilogy was both good and intelligent, through no fault of Lucas. He was prevented by others from making the Original trilogy into his personal vision. We've now seen what his vision would have been like.

Permission to use in signature sir? XD.Credit me, and you can use my firstborn in your signature. I covet the proliferation of my name in the sigfiles of others.

Pie™
06-04-2005, 07:52 PM

Any and all of these things could have been the case... But no, Lucas couldn't leave well enough alone. There had to be one short, sharp... and slightly odd incident that made the Emperor an ugly old man within the space of a single scene. Crass. Clicky (http://www.echonetwork.net/vb/showthread.php?t=3254)

TK-8252
06-04-2005, 08:55 PM
the above mentioned Chewie debacle a good example

No it's not. Since when does, just because you're friends with someone (Yoda) in an organization (Jedi Order), that you're now friends with EVERYONE IN THAT ORGANIZATION? Chewie was friends with Yoda, not all Jedi. Read the visual dictionary.

and the fact that Leia couldn't have any memories of her real mother because she died too early in RotS

You seem to forget that fact that there are things like pictures and videos that were made of Padme. Gee, maybe Leia had a look at them?

and the fact that Ben, Owen and Beru seem to have had their memories wiped by the time of ANH

What are you referring to? They remember everything just fine.

and the fact that Ben states that Luke "was our last hope" when he MUST be aware that Leia is Anakin's child according to RotS

It very well could have been that Ben didn't believe that Leia had what it takes to become a Jedi, because she didn't even know she had Luke's powers, remember?

And R2-D2's incredible abilities showcased in RotS that he's seemingly... lost the hang of by the time of ANH :rolleyes:

The reason he could do all that was because Anakin had modified him with stuff. He was away from Anakin for twenty years so I wouldn't expect him to have all the same stuff that Anakin gave him.

This created an untenable situation in which the only out was the tried and trusted old plot device... MEMORY LOSS! Yep, erase the droids memories and all's right with the world. Shame they couldn't lobotomise Chewie while they were at it.

Erasing a droid's memory is nothing new. It was said in ANH that R2 and 3PO were to have their memories wiped when the Lars' bought them from the Jawas.

3. In the Original Trilogy, Jedi vanished when they died, and they could communicate with the living. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE GODDAMN JEDI! Spiritual monk-like warriors! They can do all sorts of spooky things, why does this one have to be explained in any more detail than moving objects through telekinesis?

He could have just left it alone, but George just had to get his grubby paws stuck in and provide a non-spiritual explanation devoid of long words for his fanbase. Like "Midichlorians".

In RotS Yoda mentions in passing that Qui-Gon Jinn pops back from the land of the dead to teach him this whole "beyond the grave" thing every so often, because it's a skill.

What? This is George Lucas's story. You act like he's messing up someone else's story with his "grubby paws." George wanted to explain how he invisioned the Force. He wants the Force to be more chemical than spiritual as provided with his "midichlorian" explanation. Fine by me. It's HIS story, after all.

toms
07-11-2005, 11:32 AM
I don't mean to drag up an old thread, but its kind of quiet around here so i guess its ok.

Anyway, i've just finished watching the excellent Firefly and so i was doing a search on the upcoming Serenity movie... and i found a p(review) of Ep3 that pretty much perfectly sums up everything i thought about the movie. So I thought i'd post it.
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20185
now i'm on to reading the Serenity info...

Sam Fisher
07-14-2005, 03:10 PM
I saw RotS and really thought some parts were really... icky..for the lack of a better term.

I dunno, they whole first half kinda...sucked for me I guess.

It got better in the latter half, but not much.

7/10