PDA

View Full Version : Random Searches On NYC Subways - Who Needs Rights? They're So Passe.

Datheus
07-25-2005, 01:50 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050721/ap_on_re_us/transit_security

"We just live in a world where, sadly, these kinds of security measures are necessary," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. "Are they intrusive? Yes, a little bit. But we are trying to find that right balance."

Okay.

A car bomber blows himself up. Are officers going to start random searches on all cars driving down Main Street?

A guy blows himself up in the middle of a marketplace. Are officers going to start random searches?

This is NOT alarmist. This is merely a single step from being searched for no reason while walking down the street.

(Edit for a stupid typo)

El Sitherino
07-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Such crap, **** Bloomberg.

Why the hell would someone allow this for the illusion of safety?

toms
07-25-2005, 05:16 PM
They are doing the same thing on the London subway... but seriously - its just for show. The odds of them happening to pick the one guy in millions who has a bomb are so tiny... and the bombers would know that so it wouldn't disuade them.

And even if they do stop a bomber, surely he will just detonate it there and then, and kill just as many people??

acdcfanbill
07-25-2005, 05:38 PM
wow, i wonder if they can even find the bill of rights swept under the carpet over there...

TK-8252
07-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Why not instead they put the money spent on random searches into installing bomb-detecting technology that works like metal detectors? Problem solved...

acdcfanbill
07-26-2005, 08:18 PM
because those technologies dont work, and they dont want us to know they dont work, because that would subvert the goverments latest trend of 'feel-good' legislation...

Jed
07-27-2005, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by toms
And even if they do stop a bomber, surely he will just detonate it there and then, and kill just as many people??

"Sir, is this a OH MY GOD NO DON'T---" *vaporize*

I would ****ing hate to have that job.

toms
07-27-2005, 05:46 AM
unless they make some sort of long, bomb proof corridoor that they only allow one person at a time through then the bomber is almost certain to take as many people with him in the station as he would on the train... pointless...

Prime
07-27-2005, 09:08 AM
I think I'll stay home today...