PDA

View Full Version : Pack your bags! 10th planet discovered in solar system !

Astrotoy7
07-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Heh. I've never done a news report post before :) but I thought thi swas sufficiently intriguing...

In 2003, astronomers identified an object beyond pluto. After having a good look at it, its composition and orbit type, it has been announced as the 10th planet in the solar system...which is pretty big news in my book. I mean Pluto was discovered in 1930, so its not something that happens often :)

linkage (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050730/sc_nm/space_planet_dc_3)

right now it has a very dull name - "2003UB313" I wonder what it'll end up being called. Seeing the rest are named after Roman gods, I hope they stick to that tradition. Either that or Bill Gates will buy it and call it "Planet Vista" to help launch MS new OS :(

mtfbwya

Datheus
07-30-2005, 09:01 AM
The discovery of some new body isn't all that big of deal to me...

Lemme know when I can put my feet on it. I want off this rock.

Tyrion
07-30-2005, 09:17 AM
The discovery of some new body isn't all that big of deal to me...

Lemme know when I can put my feet on it. I want off this rock.

You realize that every other planet is just a rock too, right? Or gas giants waiting to devour you to hold for eons long, not to mention the hellish plasma sphere some would like to call the Sun.

There's always the Moon, though, if you like cheese.

But I'm not too happy of this discovery. Why? Because now I'm going to have to take Planetary 101 all over again to memorize the name of this freakin' planet.

Another semister of my life lost to the ages, f*** you science.

Mex
07-30-2005, 09:26 AM
How am I going to remember that for science class? Wasn't there a song you could sing that would remind you of the planets? How are you going to fit 2003UB313 in there?

IG-64
07-30-2005, 11:45 AM
That's pretty cool, though I heard news that they found a tenth planet months ago, but maybe that was a false report.

Astrotoy7
07-30-2005, 12:47 PM
IG, like i mentioned, it was found first in 2003. It is only now becoming accepted as being part of our solar system :)

IG-64
07-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Ooo, yeah, didn't see that. :p

Tyrion
07-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I think they should rename this planet Goofy. Should they ever discover an 11th planet, they should name that one Mickey. Just to give the big magical finger to the universe.

ET Warrior
07-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Bahahaha, and yet another planet falls to the dominion of our solar system.

Vikinor
07-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Woo. Let the Empire of our system conquer.

Black Knight of Keno
07-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Oh god... 10th planet...

meh... I surely hope that Gates won't start paying off scientists like Astro said...
"I suggest that you call the new planet Longhorn! Not Linux, Gnu, Debian or Macintosh... Longhorn! Or Windows 2003... Or XP, or XD, or..." >_>

Mike Windu
07-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Hawt. Now if we can actually inhabit that place :p

Cheech Marin
07-30-2005, 03:35 PM
I say we name it Bacchus, to keep the tradition of naming them after Roman Deities.

IG-64
07-30-2005, 03:43 PM
"Planet Vista"

You know, there is actually a chance it might be named something close to that. It might be named after Vesta, roman goddess of hearth.

Heres a list of roman gods/goddesses I found on wikipedia:

Apollo - God of the sun
Bacchus - God of wine
Ceres - Goddess of the earth
Cupid - God of love
Diana - Goddess of the moon and hunting
Fortuna - Goddess of luck
Janus - God of doors
Juno - Queen of the gods
Jupiter - King of the gods
Maia - Goddess of growth
Mars - God of war (originally agriculture)
Mercury - Messenger of the gods
Minerva - Goddess of wisdom
Neptune - God of the sea
Pluto - King of the underworld
Proserpine - Queen of the underworld
Quirinus - God of defense & the state
Saturn - God of time
Uranus - God of the heavens
Venus - Goddess of love
Vesta - Goddess of hearth
Vulcan - God of smithing

TiE23
07-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Maia - Goddess of growth looks good, like, the solar system growing and stuff.... gets bigger everyday!
But how is it pronounced? >_>
May-a? Mie-a?
Bleh :p

TiE

Pie™
07-30-2005, 05:54 PM
I say we name it Bacchus, to keep the tradition of naming them after Roman Deities.
That's hawt.

*Starts singing Hey Bacchus* ^__^

BongoBob
07-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Sweet. It took them 2 years to accept it though, so how long is it gonna take to name it o.0

El Sitherino
07-30-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm guessing 10 years.

I vote Juno.

TiE23
07-30-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't think Earth is a diety. It would be nice if they named it after a deity but in the main scheme of things I just don't feel strongly for any side as far as names go.Nah, earth is what ever language you use to call it. Different languages have different names. But I think the planets actually have 'names,' so everyone must call the planets by them.
And since their names are latin, a dead language no longer really spoken by a people, no one should feel cheated. And they are cool...

TiE

Pie™
07-30-2005, 06:38 PM
I believe the adequate term for Earth is 'Gaia'.

TiE23
07-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Oh, Gaia is so much cooler sounding. They should replace Earth... but that would be kinda hard. But like, some people whould call earth "Terra" when we advance to planet-to-planet terms, cause people on Mars (living there) aren't going to call their 'earth' earth, they will call it mars. Earth I belive really refers to the home of the person speaking.... Well.... I'm not an expert on the subject...

TiE

Hermie
07-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Gaia = greek godess of earth

Terra = Roman godess of earth

Same god, different names. Both are also used when talking about planet earth, so they're out of the question.

Hermie saves the day.

Crow_Nest
07-30-2005, 11:43 PM
Either that or Bill Gates will buy it and call it "Planet Vista" to help launch MS new OS :(

:lol:

What if it really happens? Then gates will be our president when we live on that planet.

Kjølen
07-30-2005, 11:53 PM
I vote for "Naboo". I will die a happy man if they name it "Naboo" or "Tatooine".

Sabretooth
07-31-2005, 01:33 AM
I thought the tenth planet was called "Planet X" or "Poseidon".

Britannica told me it's Planet X and my teacher told me that astronomers are after some elusive tenth planet seemingly called Poseidon.

I like the name, BTW.

Katarn07
07-31-2005, 01:47 AM
Maia - Goddess of growth looks good, like, the solar system growing and stuff.... gets bigger everyday!
But how is it pronounced? >_>
May-a? Mie-a?
Bleh :p

TiE

I was gonna suggest that. It's a brilliant idea. This is very cool news to me, someone who at one time as a boy loved learning about our solar system. Then I discovered all of George Lucas's in the SW galaxy :p

Hermie
07-31-2005, 02:03 AM
I was gonna suggest that. It's a brilliant idea. This is very cool news to me, someone who at one time as a boy loved learning about our solar system. Then I discovered all of George Lucas's in the SW galaxy :p
Both [Gaia and Terra] are also used when talking about planet earth, so they're out of the question.
_________

Katarn07
07-31-2005, 02:17 AM
_________

Heh, and yet I was agreeing with Maia for this new planet and not Gaia for our planet. Confused what you're on about.

Hermie
07-31-2005, 02:35 AM
I blame Insomnia. (It is 07:30 am and I cant sleep, send help ;_; )

Katarn07
07-31-2005, 02:40 AM
Meh, I've had that all summer. It's only 12:39 am here. That's early for me nowadays....

Why not rename earth Gaia? I do like that idea too.

Astrotoy7
07-31-2005, 03:05 AM
Vulcan - God of smithing

gee I hope not, because every Trek fan would soil themselves in wicked glee :(

RevanA4
08-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Heh. I've never done a news report post before :) but I thought thi swas sufficiently intriguing...

In 2003, astronomers identified an object beyond pluto. After having a good look at it, its composition and orbit type, it has been announced as the 10th planet in the solar system...which is pretty big news in my book. I mean Pluto was discovered in 1930, so its not something that happens often :)

linkage (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050730/sc_nm/space_planet_dc_3)

right now it has a very dull name - "2003UB313" I wonder what it'll end up being called. Seeing the rest are named after Roman gods, I hope they stick to that tradition. Either that or Bill Gates will buy it and call it "Planet Vista" to help launch MS new OS :(

mtfbwya

actually they have been tracking that object since at least 2000 so it is not new and little known fact about the discovery of pluto it was discovered by a 10 year old kid

err oh yeah I'm and outer space nut:nut:

Alegis
08-04-2005, 03:57 AM
They should get rid of Pluto in our system, really. That's no planet, it's a space station

RevanA4
08-04-2005, 12:56 PM
I believe the adequate term for Earth is 'Gaia'.

nope tera is the term

that is why tera forming is earth making

ET Warrior
08-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Funny how more than one term can be used and still be correct. Like...for example..you could say tera, or you could say earth.

Or you could say 'Gaia' instead of 'Tera' :dozey:

Hermie
08-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Ok, THIS time I'm pretty sure I would be right to quote myself to prove this point.

Gaia = greek godess of earth

Terra = Roman godess of earth

Same god, different names. Both are also used when talking about planet earth, so they're out of the question.

Katarn07
08-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Ok, THIS time I'm pretty sure I would be right to quote myself to prove this point.

Yeah, that time that quote corrected someone ;) :p

Lightsaberboy
08-04-2005, 04:29 PM
whoaaa.. a planet that's been secretly hiding all this time is now revealed!

Let's call it Miranda!

>_>

<_<

RevanA4
08-04-2005, 05:15 PM
urr it hasn't gone unnoticed for all this time NASA has been monitoring that particular planetoid for at least 5 years know also for it to be officially a planet it has to be excepted by the scientific community first.

that particular planetoid is smaller than our moon so I really don't think it will ever be considered a planet

ET Warrior
08-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Actually, the process for gaining planet-hood is reliant upon me. NASA comes over to my house and we watch some Firefly episodes, then we sit down and discuss what should and should not be a planet.

I have recently decided that Jupiter is going to be referred to as 'The Enemy Planet' from now on, and this new planetoid will be known as 'Rockthar'

Look for this news in coming weeks.

RevanA4
08-05-2005, 01:10 PM
no actually the process for gaining planet hood is dependant solely on the scientific communities exceptance no one person can say "yeah its a planet" and have it be labeled as on most of nasa's so called new planets have probabaly been discovered a year or more before it is even released as a new planet and all they can tell about this new planet is it LOOKS like it is going to orbit our sun they don't know for sure and they probably never will in our life time.

and note again I"M and outer space nut :nutz3:

ET Warrior
08-05-2005, 01:28 PM
I....hm..it seems that your sarcasm detector has broken. You should get that fixed.

RevanA4
08-05-2005, 01:30 PM
not broken I was making sure no body took you seriously :^:

Astrotoy7
08-05-2005, 01:33 PM
wow....a geeky flamewar about a planetoid is brewing....

*puts on mithril armour+1*

mtfbwya

RevanA4
08-05-2005, 01:40 PM
no flamwar I just happen to know people that would have taken him seriously

*plz don't yell at me if you are girl*

Astrotoy7
08-05-2005, 01:46 PM
hmm....it seems you have also missed the subtle sarcasm of my post too. What type of a tech are you...replace those srcsm.dll drivers NOW !!!!

btw, I dont think anyone outside of a mental institution would believe that planet verification is actually decided by ET meeting with NASA at his house... If you do know anyone who would believe that, I suggest you speak to your doctor ... :p

mtfbwya

ET Warrior
08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
I dont think there is a soul alive who knows me who actually takes me seriously...

And in that particular instance I thought it was fairly obvious I was not. We never have the time to watch an entire episode of Firefly, so it's usually just Scrubs.

RevanA4
08-05-2005, 01:52 PM
um ok let me explain I know someone who when discribe what computer he wanted stated this and plz feel free to laugh you ass off

I want a

40 GB processor
2 Giga hertz modem
10 GB ram (note this is impossible even for a server)
20 GB HD (this is the only one he got correct)

this person also failed econ 101 by saying "never by in bulk it is more expensive"

it is people like theese that make IT people say they have and ID 10 T error

remove the spaces and it will make more sense

ET Warrior
08-05-2005, 02:00 PM
PEBKAC is also a common IT acronym....of course, I have no idea what this has to do with this thread at all. Having no knowledge of computers is hardly the same thing as believing I hold host to NASA officials making decisions regarding planets. :dozey:

RevanA4
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
he is just dumb all around

he also has very close friends (me and my best friend) who are computer nerds so how can he not know

oh PEBKAC stands for problem between the keyboard and the chair and believe it or not I've seen people not get it when they were told what it meant :lol:

Astrotoy7
08-05-2005, 02:08 PM
I would bet $10 that even that person(who wanted a 40 GB Processor) would find it hard to believe that NASA scientists have to visit ETs house to watch Firefly to help decide on planetary validity.... :p

c'mon jedigoku, thats crazytalk. Like I said, if you really do know anyone like that, seek help, or move interstate :D

mtfbwya

Kjølen
08-05-2005, 03:45 PM
I'd like to point out that some Opteron motherboards support up to 32 gigs of RAM.
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=110514&Category_Code=OMB

Er, yeah, anyway. Woo... 10th planet. How about Neptupiter?

RevanA4
08-05-2005, 03:48 PM
ot but no server programm can handel 32 GB of ram I think 2003 data center can only handel 10 or 12 GB

Kjølen
08-05-2005, 03:59 PM
10 GB ram (note this is impossible even for a server)

I think 2003 data center can only handel 10 or 12 GB

Either way, when software can support it, those motherboards will be ready.

ET Warrior
08-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Planets people, we're talking about the new freaking planet.

RevanA4
08-05-2005, 05:04 PM
um sorry I'm one of those what considers pluto a planetoid since it is smaller than our moon so to me the new planet is nothing more than a planetoid that they have been tracking for many moons now.

also there is talk about removing pluto's planet status just because of that fact

El Sitherino
08-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Get back on topic or go back to your corners and make me some money! >:[

ET Warrior
08-05-2005, 05:25 PM
also there is talk about removing pluto's planet status just because of that fact
It'll never happen. I like Pluto, I named it after that silly dog of Mickey Mouse.

El Sitherino
08-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Pluto will never lose planetary status. It in essence is the perfect planet. It has an unchanging orbital pattern, gravity field much like our own, etc.

No way they'll be like "yeah Pluto is no longer a planet because it's small, so **** it."

Kjølen
08-05-2005, 05:31 PM
If it's, for the most part, round, and orbits a star, it's a planet. That is my outlook.

Katarn07
08-05-2005, 05:35 PM
It's not because it's smaller, it's because they think it may have once been a moon of Neptune knocked out of orbit or something like that. But I agree, it won't happen anytime soon if at all. It's been around over 100 years, people won't accept it not being a part of our planetary system.

ET Warrior
08-05-2005, 05:37 PM
I think it's amazing people get paid to make decisions like, "Is this a planet?" and then they have huuuge meetings and conferences, and tax payers dollars go into it, when, honestly, who cares, and why does it matter?

acdcfanbill
08-05-2005, 05:40 PM
and the fact that the Pluto/Charon's barycenter is in space, i.e. not inside Pluto itself like w/ earth/moon. :)

El Sitherino
08-05-2005, 05:45 PM
It's not because it's smaller, it's because they think it may have once been a moon of Neptune knocked out of orbit or something like that. But I agree, it won't happen anytime soon if at all. It's been around over 100 years, people won't accept it not being a part of our planetary system.
Then we'd have to revoke our own planetary status as we were once a satellite of a now extinct (supposed) planet, so whatever.

ET Warrior
08-05-2005, 05:47 PM
I think that's a good idea. We're far too superior to be lumped in with losers like Venus or Neptune. Earth should be reffered to as an awesome sphere from now on.

El Sitherino
08-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Spherical mass of death?

We could start a super cool group of badass masses of rock.

Hermie
08-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I think it's amazing people get paid to make decisions like, "Is this a planet?" and then they have huuuge meetings and conferences, and tax payers dollars go into it, when, honestly, who cares, and why does it matter?
I agree. We should fix our own planet before ogling at the next ones.

"Hmm, should we give money to people who suffer, or to smart people who likes to look at rocks? The rocks are in outer space? Sweet! Rocks it is."

RevanA4
08-05-2005, 09:01 PM
hey don't yell at me this has been news for as long as I can remember

Astrotoy7
08-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that Poseidon was a potential name, that fits right in :) Maybe they can sell naming rights on ebay and donate to proceedings to charity... :)

Spherical mass of death?

wow. I made this for an entirely different thread 3 months ago, but it is strangely appropriate now :)

ET Warrior
08-05-2005, 10:50 PM
I have to conclude you made that more than 3 months ago...considering I'm pretty sure when you made it I actually WAS in a dorm room..and that was more than a year ago...

Kjølen
08-05-2005, 11:47 PM
How about we call Pluto a gravity center, with two moons orbiting it?

And, even Earth's center of gravity can't be the exact center. For one thing, the moon must tug the center a tiny bit towards it, no matter that it is insignificant mass.

acdcfanbill
08-07-2005, 08:05 PM
yea, but the barycenter of earth is below the crust, whereas with pluto its in space between it and its moon charon ;)

Astrotoy7
08-08-2005, 07:02 AM
I have to conclude you made that more than 3 months ago...considering I'm pretty sure when you made it I actually WAS in a dorm room..and that was more than a year ago...

man, how time flies :(

going back to space/planet related stuff...

Right now, as I look out the window I see the space shuttle trying to re-enter the earths atmosphere. I first thought it was a very bright star, but they dont move like that :p

Even watching that little dot of light move in the night sky is pretty cool.....wish I had a damn decent telescope :(

hope those guys make it back safe :)

mtfbwya