PDA

View Full Version : Unknown coolness

Feanaro
08-05-2005, 11:54 AM
I just thinking that if it wasn't for all my friends i would be stuck in the same old rut of music, tv, and movies. So i was thinking of a thread that people could share movies, music, games and tv that could possibly be unknown to others. For instance Firefly, i'd never even heard of that TV show till ET showed me a couple episodes. All I gotta say is wow, i wish i would've heard of it sooner. I thought i saw a thread like this a while back, but i couldn't remember, so i'm bringing it back!

The Boondock Saints(movie)- Great movie, lots of violence, and great lines.

The Queens Gambit(board Game)- Quite possibly the coolest board game ever.
Take contro of the Naboo, gungan, Obi, Qui-Gon, and ani to defeat maul and the driod army.

Red Dwarf(TV Show)- Halarious tv show in the UK, there supposed to be a movie coming out soon.

World Soccer Winning Eleven 8(video game)- Best soccer game ever made, if
you are a soccer fan this is the game for you.
Theres just a few to get started, hopefully this thread can open a new horizon of entertainment for some of us who are stuck in a rut.

Acrylic
08-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Good thread idea.

I definately have to recommend the album "Relics" by Pink Floyd to everyone. I thought of it as an album I wouldn't want to listen to because it had songs like, leftover from the Syd Barret days (or at least, it sounds like it), and it is one of the most amazing albums I've heard in a while. "Julia Dream" is just a beautiful song. I can't explain it.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn is pretty good too. I also gave that a listen yesterday. Not nearly as good as some Floyd albums (IMO), it's still good.

Astrotoy7
08-05-2005, 12:10 PM
I recommend the book, "The Lives of The Artists" by Giorgio Vasari. He was the artist/sculptor Michelangelo's apprentice. He gives you a first hand account of what those magnficent Renaissance artists were like and how they went about their amazing work :)

mtfbwya

Bastila
08-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Good thread idea.

I definately have to recommend the album "Relics" by Pink Floyd to everyone.

I'd have to agree with that as well it's a top album i don't know many people who like that, but it is a great album.

RevanA4
08-05-2005, 01:01 PM
I recomend reading the Silmarillion

I also Listen to music most people don't even know of ie Jeremy Camp (if you can guess what he sings you get a shiny new cookie, bastila doesn't count)

ET Warrior
08-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Songs. He sings songs. I win.

As for movies that a lot of people I know haven't seen, but I'll bet alot of you have....

Garden State, Resevoir Dogs, Equilibrium, Pulp Fiction, House of Flying Daggers, Hero.

All of those are REALLY good, and you should watch them. Now. I demand it.

Feanaro
08-05-2005, 01:09 PM
oh yeah, Equilibrium was way sweet. Kungfu hustle was pretty cool, comes out on dvd tuesday. Elbow- Cast of Thousands is a pretty good cd.

Astrotoy7
08-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Yep, I have seen those recommended by ET, and they are definitely worth checking out quicksmart :)

Here's some more movies for you, recommended by Astro.com

Blue Velvet - Directed by David Lynch
The Seven Samurai - Japanese movie directed by Akira Kurosawa
Naked - Directed by Mike Leigh
The Draftman's Contract - Directed by (Sir) Peter Greenaway
Barry Lyndon - Directed by Stanley Kubrick

LightNinja
08-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Good thread idea.

I definately have to recommend the album "Relics" by Pink Floyd
Yep thats a really good album, also "Animals" is quite good too ;). And i'm almost finishing the Sillmarillion and i have to say that athought the start is a bit confusing then it gets much more interesant, is a good book.
Also i recomend the last album of Coldplay "X&Y" but i don't think theres anybody here who likes coldplay :S.

Feanaro
08-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Also i recomend the last album of Coldplay "X&Y" but i don't think theres anybody here who likes coldplay :S.
Best CD yet, my fav. band too! If you like coldplay, check out some Radiohead, Beta Band, Travis, Snow Patrol and Keane. All really good bands with some really catchy tunes.

ET Warrior
08-05-2005, 01:31 PM
I forgot about Kung Fu Hustle. It did poorly at the box office, but it was REALLY good.

Mike Windu
08-05-2005, 01:45 PM
House of Flying Daggers is a great movie
Rush Hour >_>

For books I'd go with Gods and Generals and A Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass.

Music...
check the Grey Album by DJ Dangermouse.

LightNinja
08-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Best CD yet, my fav. band too! If you like coldplay, check out some Radiohead, Beta Band, Travis, Snow Patrol and Keane. All really good bands with some really catchy tunes.
I listen radiohead and Travis too xD, also ill check beta band, snow patrol and keane. Btw, fix you and x&y best songs ever ^^, also i like swallowed in the sea....:P

Feanaro
08-05-2005, 03:16 PM
For books I'd go with Gods and Generals and A Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass.
Did they make that into a movie with Robert Duval?
I listen radiohead and Travis too xD, also ill check beta band, snow patrol and keane. Btw, fix you and x&y best songs ever ^^, also i like swallowed in the sea....:P
Yes they are, this CD was amazing, they have a lot to live up to next time they release an album.

Hermie
08-05-2005, 03:35 PM
great thread!

I recommend the PC game Massive Assault. It's a turn-based strategy game that came out some time ago, but it didn't get a very wide media coverage. I hadn't heard of it until I found a demo on an old PC Gamer disc. Great for any strategy fan.

Katarn07
08-05-2005, 04:03 PM
City of God is a great film. By far the best foreign film I've seen. Perhaps one of the greatest films I've ever seen. I can't find it anywhere off the net to purchase and was tempted to rent and 'lose' it from work and just pay for it that way, but we are down to one copy so I'd better not do that.

coupes.
08-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Franz Ferdinand is an awsome band I discovered last year. They sound somewhat like a mix of The Strokes, Jet and Led Zepplin. So far, I think they only have one album out, and it's self titled.

Edit : Yeah... they do have 4 albums out already, I've just only seen their self-titled album in stores, perhaps they're not distributed here or they're very hard to find.

El Sitherino
08-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Franz Ferdinand is an awsome band I discovered last year. They sound somewhat like a mix of The Strokes, Jet and Led Zepplin. So far, I think they only have one album out, and it's self titled.
They have like 3 or 4 albums out, but the self-titled one is their mainstream hit.

I personally despise them, especially their self-titled album, but that's just my opinion.

A movie I never got why few people have seen would be Ronin. Better than a lot of flicks people see. Reno and DeNiro = **** awesome combination.

acdcfanbill
08-05-2005, 04:48 PM
band: Wintersun -> check some samples at the website, www.wintermadness.net

movie: Hard Boiled -> best action/Chow Yun-Fat flick ever, John Woo directs. http://imdb.com/title/tt0104684/
plot elements and ever signature move (and some from The Killer) for Max Payne were lifted from this movie ;)

Writer
08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I highly reccommend the movie "AntiTrust". I've found it's a very rare thing for me to find somebody who's even heard of the movie, but my personal opinion is that it's very good (a couple of my friends now share my opinion :) )

El Sitherino
08-05-2005, 04:54 PM
AntiTrust was alright, I just couldn't buy Ryan Phillipe and Rachel Leigh Cook working on computers, much less being able to type more than 3wpm.

Writer
08-05-2005, 04:58 PM
As I've never seen them in anything else, I don't share your difficulty (which may have been part of the reason I liked it... who knows?)

CapNColostomy
08-05-2005, 08:35 PM
AntiTrust was alright, I just couldn't buy Ryan Phillipe and Rachel Leigh Cook working on computers, much less being able to type more than 3wpm.

As far as I know, Ryan Phillipe only made one good movie ever, and that was Way of the Gun. That movie kicks ass, I don't care what anybody says.

Astrotoy7
08-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Cmon Cap, Way of The Gun final edit was shocking... Just because it has Benicio Del Toro, James Caan and Juliette Lewis in it doesnt automatically make it cool.... and that opening sequence, sure its cool, but it just didnt mean anything....

anyone wants to see a *good* movie with Benicio Del Toro try
*Snatch
*Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
*21 grams

The only movie I felt Ryan Phillipe was half OK, as he was playing a bratty pretty boy, was Cruel Intentions...but Im sure most people have seen/heard about that

mtfbwya

CapNColostomy
08-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Cmon Cap, Way of The Gun final edit was shocking... Just because it has Benicio Del Toro, James Caan and Juliette Lewis in it doesnt automatically make it cool.... and that opening sequence, sure its cool, but it just didnt mean anything....

anyone wants to see a *good* movie with Benicio Del Toro try
*Snatch
*Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
*21 grams

The only movie I felt Ryan Phillipe was half OK, as he was playing a bratty pretty boy, was Cruel Intentions...but Im sure most people have seen/heard about that

mtfbwya

Bah, I think it was a good movie. The opening, the car chase (which is imho one of the best and most unique car chases ever), the sniper shootout at the Mexican motel, the final shootout for the money, the ending, the "are you a faggot?" speech...I love that movie.

Oh and **** Cruel Intentions.

El Sitherino
08-05-2005, 09:43 PM
**** Cruel Intentions.
^

Cap, you seen Ronin? I love the car chases in that movie.

CapNColostomy
08-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah, I've seen it many times. Like you said, Reno and Deniro is a can't miss combo. I love the scene with Sean Bean where RD almost made him cry asking what color the boat house was.

El Sitherino
08-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah, I've seen it many times. Like you said, Reno and Deniro is a can't miss combo. I love the scene with Sean Bean where RD almost made him cry asking what color the boat house was.
I love that scene. Ambushes him with the coffee.

edlib
08-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Music

Bands:

The Dixie Dregs
Bela Fleck and The Flecktones
Allan Holdsworth
Allison Krauss & Union Station
Danny Gatton
Roy Buchanan
XTC
Patty Larkin

Albums:

Yes - Close To The Edge
XTC - Nonsuch
XTC - Oranges And Lemons
XTC - Skylarking
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue
Anggun - Snow On The Sahara
Anggun - Chrysalis

Movies, DVDs and TV:

Faulty Towers
Blackadder
Anything by Terry Gilliam (esp. 12 Monkeys; The Fisher King; Brazil)
Mythbusters
This Is Spinal Tap; Waiting for Guffman; Best Of Show; A Mighty Wind
The Big Lebowski; The Hudsucker Proxy; Fargo
Himalaya With Michael Palin
From Hell
Empire Of The Sun

Books:

The Dark Tower series - Stephen King
The Dirk Gently series - Douglas Adams
The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Rama series - Arthur C. Clarke
Hyperspace - Michio Kaku
The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene
The Broken Land - Ian Mcdonald
The Day of Creation - J. G. Ballard
Concrete Island - J. G. Ballard

Games:

Freespace 1 &2
Starship Titanic
Grim Fandango
Starfox Adventures

El Sitherino
08-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Just got the Fifth Element ultimate edition DVD. Must say, it's swanky as hell.

LightNinja
08-06-2005, 08:18 PM
I've been playing this week a game called Sacred, you have to play it, i don't know how much is it but less than 20€ or $20. It's kinda Baldurs Gate mixed with Diablo, you can have horses and there are lots of armors and it has a huge world, its pretty cool and has online aswell. That's my recomendation of today ;)

Mex
08-06-2005, 08:22 PM
I've been playing this week a game called Sacred, you have to play it, i don't know how much is it but less than 20€ or $20. It's kinda Baldurs Gate mixed with Diablo, you can have horses and there are lots of armors and it has a huge world, its pretty cool and has online aswell. That's my recomendation of today ;)

I have that, it doesn't install. It took weeks to get Sacred to install "Corrupt file" [x40 times] then when I tried to install Sacred Underworld "Corrupt file" Peice of junk.

Jed
08-06-2005, 10:14 PM
I highly recommend the game Mafia. It's only around 10 bucks, and it was a worthwhile, fun game.

Kjølen
08-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Jed, is that the sheep-killing game for Mac? Or a different Mafia game?
Yes, I believe the sheep-killing one was MAFFia.

Tyrion
08-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Jed, is that the sheep-killing game for Mac? Or a different Mafia game?
Yes, I believe the sheep-killing one was MAFFia.

No, it's about the actual Mafia, circa 1920. I played the demo and it was pretty sweet, but never got around to buying it.

BongoBob
08-06-2005, 11:25 PM
For those of you that haven't played it, I reccomend getting Morrowind Game of the Year Edition. It is one of the coolest games ever made IMO.

That said, I also reccomend trying to find and listen to all 4 if the Movements of the Odyssey songs by Incubus that were on the Halo 2 soundtrack. They're great instrumental songs, and for that matter, I suggest getting the Halo 2 soundtrack even if you don't like the game, it has some great instrumental music.

Download the songs The Auld Triangle and Barroom Hero on this page (https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=music-dd&field-keywords=dropkick%252520murphys&search-type=ss&bq=1&store-name=digital-music/ref=xs_ap_l_xgl15/002-6020713-4088021) for free, both are great songs by the Dropkick Murphys.

And of course, if you havn't seen it, Invader Zim is IMO the best animated series ever made, the dvds are only about 20 bucks each. They also show them on the Nicktoon channel from time to time.

Lightsaberboy
08-06-2005, 11:27 PM
I forgot about Kung Fu Hustle. It did poorly at the box office, but it was REALLY good.

maybe in the US, but it becamse the highest grossing hong-kong made movie in hong kong, surpassing shaolin soccer.

ET Warrior
08-06-2005, 11:52 PM
maybe in the US, but it becamse the highest grossing hong-kong made movie in hong kong, surpassing shaolin soccer.
That's what I meant. XXX: State of the Union made more money in the US than Kung Fu Hustle. And that is a disgrace!

Lightsaberboy
08-06-2005, 11:55 PM
well alot of people prolly saw it already since it came out in china a lot earlier. heck, i had the dvd by the time the movie came out in the states already.

Katarn07
08-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Sacred gets old. FAST! Lack of story and same gameplay over and over and over make K07 unhappy gamer. It's good if you like hack 'n slash. I'm a turn based man myself.

And Kung Fu Hustle? I tried to watch it tonight. Dear God I had to turn that dribble off 40 minutes into it. I couldn't stand it anymore it was that bad. I usually give movies a chance and watch the full thing. Kill Bill was the last one I didn't finish. I am one of the few people I know my age who hate that movie. The fight scenes weren't even that good in Kung Fu Hustle. They looked pretty fake to me and the story was just flat out dumb. I'll admit, I wasn't expecting much going into it. I was expecting more than I saw though. Such rubbish.

ET Warrior
08-07-2005, 01:39 AM
O_o

I'm forced to conclude your taste in movies is pretty much tangental to mine then...if you didn't like Kill Bill OR Kung Fu Hustle...

El Sitherino
08-07-2005, 01:43 AM
I think it's a matter of that he didn't exactly understand the context. Especially of Kung Fu Hustle.

BongoBob
08-07-2005, 02:46 AM
Kung Fu Hustle is a comedy movie, a mockery of kung fu movies. You make it sound like you were expecting a Jet Li movie or something : |

BTW I havn't seen it, but my friend said it was like Kung Pow, but better. and he's gonna get it on dvd, which means I'll see it next time I'm at his house.

Tyrion
08-07-2005, 03:24 AM
I think it's a matter of that he didn't exactly understand the context. Especially of Kung Fu Hustle.

Was that the movie which had the commercial with Blitzkrieg Bop as the soundtrack?

If so, I'm gonna rent it. Looked good.

TiE23
08-07-2005, 03:26 AM
Metal Arms: Great game, $20, fun
Silent Storm: Very interesting, $20, lets you try anything, made in Russia :xp:
Chronic Future: I liked some of the reverse beat stuff, great beat on some of the songs, fun
Hotel Rwanda: If you haven't seen it, its good, only dramatic movie I've seen 20 times >_>

TiE

LightNinja
08-07-2005, 07:46 AM
For those of you that haven't played it, I reccomend getting Morrowind Game of the Year Edition. It is one of the coolest games ever made IMO.
I have Morrowind III, it is really cool and all but i don't know what the history is, i got quickly tired of doing the quests and stealing everything :S

Also Hotel Rwanda is a really good movie, also "Snatch, pigs and diamonds" is quite good too.

Feanaro
08-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Is anyone into Texas Hold'em, or poker in general? I think it would be cool to get a bunch of us on pokerstars sometime and have a tournament.

BongoBob
08-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I used to have partypoker a while back, but I got tired of losing all the time : |

If we could get a tourny together that would be cool as hell :D

Katarn07
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
O_o

I'm forced to conclude your taste in movies is pretty much tangental to mine then...if you didn't like Kill Bill OR Kung Fu Hustle...

If I have to like Kung Fu to like Kung Fu Hustle, then of course I wouldn't enjoy Kung Fu Hustle. I knew it was a comedy of sorts, but it was all too slapstick and silly for me. Spoofing something I don't watch to begin with obviously won't make me like it.

And Kill Bill? What the hell was that even about?! It was thin in plot, had tons and tons of gratuitous violence, and very extreme movie making techniques that left me disoriented. The techniques were a minor thing. They were different, I'll give it that, but not my kinda thing. Switching to anime, slow mo black, the nonchronological chapter thing, etc etc etc. The story was barely there, and the characters were no one to love or hate.

No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 are great games. Check them out if you like FPS. They're both $10 or less and contain great story, humor, and fun.

ET Warrior
08-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Is anyone into Texas Hold'em, or poker in general? I think it would be cool to get a bunch of us on pokerstars sometime and have a tournament.
That'd be pretty tight...not certain how it would work...but I do love me some poker.

I forgot to mention 'Snatch' and 'Lock Stock and Two Smoking barrels'.

Both movies are AWESOME.

toms
08-08-2005, 09:21 AM
I know a lot of people know them, but Muse are an awesome rock meets queen meets radiohead band. Absolution is hte best album to start with.

Snow patrol, Franz ferdinand etc.. are all soooo last year ;-) Try Interpol or The Editors instead for a variation on that style.
Kaiser Chiefs grow on you. ALOT.
The Go! Team seem interesting (and have a cool name).
The Subways are an excellent up and coming nirvana-lite band.

Dead Like Me is an excellent tv series black-comedy meets drama. Teenage girl who is killed and becomes a kind of grim reaper.
Veronica Mars is actually very good too, if you can look past the teen facade. (bit like buffy in that respect.) Speaking of which, Birds of Prey was a show that had potential, but was cancelled before it got there.

The Lone Wolf & Cub mini graphic novels are well worth checking out. As is the TV series (if you can find it).

Infernal Affairs was an awesome hong-kong thriller that was missed by many. I'd probably recomend leaving the 2 sequels though. They are good, but not as good as the original, and hard to follow due to the language and their speed.

New Dragon Gate Inn is an excellent pre-cursor to the crouching-tiger/hero films, with a lower budget and more violence, but still good.

Samurai Fiction, Lady Snowblood, The Samurai Trilogy are all obvious inspiration for Kill Bill part 1 and worth watching.

My Sasy Girl is an excellent Korean romantic comedy. Though the director's cut is a little on the long side. Oldboy and Failan also rock.

Withnail & I is an awesome british comedy film, but also very sad.

El Sitherino
08-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Wow, I haven't heard Interpol in like 6 years. They're still around?

coupes.
08-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Yep, I think so...

And I do agree that 'Snatch' and 'Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' are really awsome movies.

me <3 Guy Ritchie

toms
08-08-2005, 12:31 PM
This one is good (try obstacle 1 & 2)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006BTCA/qid=1123518471/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-4821903-5597401?v=glance&s=music&n=507846
the new one is good too
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002PD3HU/qid=1123518471/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4821903-5597401?v=glance&s=music&n=507846
Bloc Party (mentioned in the "other people also bought" bit) are good too.

forgot to mention:

Bubba ho-top : cool independent comedy/horror with Bruce Campbell as a geriatric Elvis who's retirement home is being terrorised by an ancient egyptian mummy.

jokemaster
08-08-2005, 01:03 PM
I highly reccommend the movie "AntiTrust". I've found it's a very rare thing for me to find somebody who's even heard of the movie, but my personal opinion is that it's very good (a couple of my friends now share my opinion :) )
Dammit that was the one I was going to say!

Movies: Shawshank Redemption, Zoolander, The Quick and the Dead

TV: Dead like me, 24,Lost, Monk

Music: Mago de Oz: A spanish band with cool rock music. Best link I could find is to a slightly crappy midi verision of one of their songs:
linky (http://mago.rockmusic.org/soundxxs.htm)

But if you like rock at all I recommend you try them out.

Katarn07
08-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Hey jokemaster, just saw Shawshank Redemption as promised ;) EXCELLENT movie. If you guys haven't seen it, take our word on it. It's fantastic. Other great movies I've seen I'd recommend are Of Mice and Men ('92 version) and the Green Mile (same author and director as Shawshank). These are all novels too. I haven't read Shawshank, but the other two books are great. Read them before seeing the movie. You'll love both versions of the stories.

CapNColostomy
08-08-2005, 01:26 PM
If ever there were a movie that I thought was over rated crap, and hated more than anything, that movie would be The Shawshank Redemption. That is all.

jokemaster
08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
^Eh, depends on how much you heard before seeing it. When I saw it, I hadn't heard anything about it, so I thought it was an excellent movie.

CapNColostomy
08-08-2005, 01:48 PM
^Eh, depends on how much you heard before seeing it. When I saw it, I hadn't heard anything about it, so I thought it was an excellent movie.

I heard it was an excellent movie.

So you think maybe that was the problem?

Katarn07
08-08-2005, 01:51 PM
I heard it was an excellent movie.

So you think maybe that was the problem?

Must've been. But then again, I heard it was an excellent film before the folks at EB told me to see it and I still thought it was great. Tastes in movies differ. Just like I think Kill Bill is the most hyped up dumb movie, yet people here like it.

jokemaster
08-08-2005, 01:56 PM
I meant you thinking it's overrated crap. I thought halo was crap mostly because everyone went on about what a great game it was, that when I played it it was a huuuuuuuuuuuge disappointment, and I suspect that if I hadn't heard all that, I'd think it was a pretty good game. Not deserving of the hype, but a good game nonetheless.

Katarn07
08-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is highly underrated. Critics seem to like it, but everyone I know personally (family, friends, Hollywood customers) have either never seen it or think it's dumb. If you like SW and Indiana Jones, you'll be able to enjoy it somewhat. If you like old time comics or serials from the '30s, you'll love it! And from a technical standpoint, it being all CGI is quite amazing.

acdcfanbill
08-09-2005, 12:12 AM
yea, i thought Sky Captian was a real gem when it came out, albet semi cheesy.

Sabretooth
08-09-2005, 06:33 AM
Kill Bill's soundtrack and Ghost in the Shell's soundtrack is pretty cool. There was this book I read, The Seventh Secret, by Irving Wallace. Awesome book that explores the possibility that Hitler and the Nazis actually survived the war. Black Friday's soundtrack is cool, listen to it here: http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/H000800.html
"Bandheh" and "Badshah in Jail" are the good ones.
I remember two RTSs, Anno 1602 and Moonbase Commander. Both were great games, which never achieved the fame they deserved.

toms
08-09-2005, 08:35 AM
is Anno 1602 the "guild" one? If it is then its not really an FPS, more of a political intrigue simulator and it rocks... if not, well then look that one up.

Shawshank is hardly "unknown" considering it got oscars and is regularly voted one of the best (if not the best) film ever. Personally I don't think its as good as that, but it does rock.

Grosse Point Blank is a great black comedy 80s assasin film with John Cusak and Minnie Driver.

They Live is a great john carpenter scifi film. (and also where duke nukem got most of his best lines).

The Quick and the Dead does indeed rock.

El Sitherino
08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
They Live is a great john carpenter scifi film.
PUT ON THE SUNGLASSES! *punch*

Very good movie.

jokemaster
08-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Grosse Point Blank is a great black comedy 80s assasin film with John Cusak and Minnie Driver.

Oh man, I totally forgot that one.

acdcfanbill
08-09-2005, 03:36 PM
yea, the GPB DVD is one of my favorites :)

I thought Cusak actually make quite a good assassin.

jokemaster
08-09-2005, 03:45 PM
oh forgot this:

Games: All the LEC adventure games: Maniac Mansion,Day of the Tentacle Monkey Island series, The dig, Loom, Sam and Max, Full throttle, the two indy games, Grim fandango, etc.

El Sitherino
08-09-2005, 03:50 PM
yea, the GPB DVD is one of my favorites :)

I thought Cusak actually make quite a good assassin.
Pffft, Jean Reno could kick his ass. :xp:

But yeah, it's a good movie.

Lady Jedi
08-09-2005, 04:19 PM
I never would have read Orson Scott Card books if not for Samuel Dravis. Some of the best books I've ever read, too. Highly recommended. Seriously. :D Dravis has also recommended some very good music. i.e. Live and Breaking Benjamin. Good stuff there. :)

Kill Bill 1 and 2 are great. I've got my brother to thank for getting me to watch those. :)

Captain Wilson
08-10-2005, 04:06 AM
For a film - Underworld. Everyone i know that i didnt dragg to see it passed it up, one of my fav films.

For music - Opeth. Cause there ******* great.

access_flux
08-10-2005, 04:21 AM
i have to say, any of the books by Matthew Reilly are awesome. good adventure novels, full of fun.

music, anything by lemon jelly. its completely not my style of music, but its the best stuff to just put on and go "sigh, what a day, and now i relax".

movies - SPIRITED AWAY!
anything by miyazaki is worth seeing. he is the best!

access_flux
08-10-2005, 04:25 AM
I meant you thinking it's overrated crap. I thought halo was crap mostly because everyone went on about what a great game it was, that when I played it it was a huuuuuuuuuuuge disappointment, and I suspect that if I hadn't heard all that, I'd think it was a pretty good game. Not deserving of the hype, but a good game nonetheless.

i agree. halo IS overated, and i'm sick of people STILL raving about it. the levels are very repetitive and the fighting is much of the same. although i will give credit to the fact that it all looks rather smooth.

Feanaro
08-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Yeah, i was crazy about halo. Played it so much i was burned out on it. But when Halo 2 came out, i played it all the time. Now i could care less about Halo. Halo 2 was pretty much the same game, with different weapons and maps. I don't even care about Halo 3.

acdcfanbill
08-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Pffft, Jean Reno could kick his ass.
well if you wanna measure up, Bond is probably the luckiest guy ever onscreen when it comes to killing people so he could probably take Reno :xp:

El Sitherino
08-10-2005, 10:56 PM
well if you wanna measure up, Bond is probably the luckiest guy ever onscreen when it comes to killing people so he could probably take Reno :xp:
Pffft, Bond ALWAYS got caught. And if it weren't for Q's gadgets, he'd be dead.

Lady Jedi
08-10-2005, 11:00 PM

And we musn't forget that Bond is just a disgusting character all around. *nods* Mmhmm, it's true. :)

My oldest brother got me to listen to The Gourds this spring. Shinebox is the album that I really like. Great stuff there; I don't listen to it too often but sometimes it's just the right sound. You guys ever heard of em? :)

Tyrion
08-11-2005, 12:08 AM
And we musn't forget that Bond is just a disgusting character all around. *nods* Mmhmm, it's true. :)

Digusting to you females, maybe. But he's an idol to men everywhere precisely because he can get into bed with a gorgeous female every single time the world needs saving.

That, and the fact he's British is awesome. :p

access_flux
08-11-2005, 02:57 AM
Digusting to you females, maybe. But he's an idol to men everywhere precisely because he can get into bed with a gorgeous female every single time the world needs saving.

That, and the fact he's British is awesome. :p

bahaha british...

but wait, us Australians have no outstanding male sex symbols that we can look up to. all we have is that bastard crocodile hunter. and he's an idiot.

toms
08-11-2005, 10:25 AM
George Lazenby? :p

You should try reading a few of the bond books, they make the screen bond look like a lovely modern chap. One of my faves is where he effectively tells the lesbian p.ussy galore that she is only a lesbian because she hasn't had a real man. then kind of forces himself on her. Then converts her back to the heterosexual way. :D
I always liked his ruthless streak... the conery/moore bond was always willing to sacrifice people and casually kill them.

CapNColostomy
08-11-2005, 11:02 AM
bahaha british...

but wait, us Australians have no outstanding male sex symbols that we can look up to. all we have is that bastard crocodile hunter. and he's an idiot.

Ah! Not so. You've forgotten that other crocodile symbol of masculinity, Paul Hogan. Now there's a guy I think men the world over can look up to.

manoman81
08-11-2005, 12:14 PM
music, anything by lemon jelly. its completely not my style of music, but its the best stuff to just put on and go "sigh, what a day, and now i relax".

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought one of the albums last night online. It's pretty cool music.

acdcfanbill
08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Leon dies and you claim bond gets caught? bhahahahah :lol:

El Sitherino
08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Leon dies and you claim bond gets caught? bhahahahah :lol:
Yeah, but that's because Leon became weakened by Mathilda, completely excusable. Bond always got caught.

toms
08-12-2005, 09:31 AM
That was the way bond worked. He never actually did much spying. He just went out and got himself noticed (by winding up the bad guy or pulling his bird), got captured, got told the whole plan, used his gadgets in a way for which they weren't intended (much to the annoyance of Q as this usually broke them) to escape, foiled the plan, got the girl.

Easier than all that slow sneaking around trying to spy on people... :D

El Sitherino
08-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Well I finally got around to getting a new graphics card. And finally felt I was now ready to play Republic Commando in all it's glory, after all I had been sitting on it for months waiting to install it and play. And I have to say, very fun game.

Seems to me there are lots of modding opportunities and I'm a bit confused we don't yet have much modding for it. It's a perfect model of game for modding.

Tyrion
08-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Good movie probably everyone but me had seen before: Clerks.

It's a Kevin Smith movie.

The main character's name is Dante.

What more is there to be said?

El Sitherino
08-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Good movie probably everyone but me had seen before: Clerks.

It's a Kevin Smith movie.

The main character's name is Dante.

What more is there to be said?

I wasn't even supposed to be here today?

access_flux
08-12-2005, 02:24 PM
can i have one of those dirty magazines, you know, the ones with the girls with the big boobies.

Ah! Not so. You've forgotten that other crocodile symbol of masculinity, Paul Hogan. Now there's a guy I think men the world over can look up to.

ah, touche. i forgot about him. you know what he did before he was corocdile dundee? he painted teh harbour bridge! it takes 20 years to get from one side to the other, and once you've finished, you have to start again!

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought one of the albums last night online. It's pretty cool music.

its good to know people listen to good suggestions :)

Tyrion
08-12-2005, 10:25 PM
I wasn't even supposed to be here today?

Chicks with dicks, man. Chicks with dicks.

Katarn07
08-12-2005, 11:31 PM
I just saw Clerks for the first time straight through. I knew it was 'that b/w movie' but never really sat and watched it. Funny as hell. Are his other movies as good or not? Most comedies don't make me laugh but that one did :)

Tyrion
08-12-2005, 11:45 PM
I just saw Clerks for the first time straight through. I knew it was 'that b/w movie' but never really sat and watched it. Funny as hell. Are his other movies as good or not? Most comedies don't make me laugh but that one did :)

Dogma is another really good movie of Smith's.

ChAiNz.2da
08-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Dogma is another really good movie of Smith's.
definitely :D There's also Mallrats and Chasing Amy (iffy on that one though)...
I had no clue that he was making (producing) The Green Hornet... man, I need to get out more... hehehe

-----------

as for Unknown Coolness mentions, though probably not 'unknown' at all, I still have to pay homage to the film Officespace (yet another cult-classic that I'll watch till my dying day) :D

jokemaster
08-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Speaking of office space:
The UK TV series the office is also great.
Rowan: Gareth, quick trust exercise, ultimate fantasy?
Gareth: Hmm?
David Brent: We're just doing the ultimate fantasy, we're all doing it.
Gareth: Two lesbians probably, sisters. I'm just watching.
Rowan: OK. Erm. Tim? Do you have one?
Tim: I'd never thought I'd say this, but can I hear more from Gareth please?

Tim: Ok now guys, we're about to enter a warehouse environment now. I'll just warn you that some of the people in here will be working class. So there may be some arse cleavage. Just find a partner, hold hands and don't talk to anyone.

Tim: No I don't talk about my love life for a very good reason, and that reason is I don't have one. Which is very good news for the ladies-I am still available. I'm a heck of a catch, cos, er well look at it. I live in Slough, in a lovely house, with my parents. I have my own room, which I've had since yep, since I was born. That's seen a lot of action I tell you. Mainly dusting. I went to university for a year as well, before I dropped out, so I'm a quitter. So, er, form an orderly queue ladies.

[Arguing over the quiz result and request for a rematch]
Chris Finch: Right, I will throw anything you choose over this building. If I do it, we win the quiz. Right?
David Brent: Yeah, so you choose anything. If he can throw it over, we've won the champagne. And that's it. And that's the real quiz. Choose one thing.
Ricky: You really are a couple of sad little men, aren't you?
Gareth: Oh yeah, they're sad little men. He's thrown a kettle over a pub. What have you ever done?

Gareth: Tim's put my stapler inside a jelly again. That's the third time he's done it. It wasn't even funny the first time.
David Brent: Why has he done that?
Gareth: I told him once that I don't like jelly. I don't trust the way it moves.
David Brent: Yeah. You showed him a weakness - he pounced. You should know about that... What is in there?
Gareth: It's my stapler.
[Gareth plunges his hand in to fish out the stapler]
David Brent: Well, don't do that... eat it out. There's people starving in the world, which I hate... and it's a waste so... How do you know it's yours?
Gareth: It's got my name on it in Tipp-Ex.
David Brent: Okay, don't eat it now then... chemicals.