PDA

View Full Version : Just when you thought Korn's "Word Up" was the worst remake ever...

Darth Groovy
08-21-2005, 04:43 AM
So i'm at Circuit City the other day looking at the cds/dvds, and all of the sudden I started to feel sick to my stomach. I wasn't sure why, but then it all became clear. There was some music coming out of the stereo section, and while I normally drown this stuff out of my head, I realized I was listening to a techno/pop version of Alice Cooper's "Poison". Yes, some monotone chicks were actually singing this song over a heavy dance beat as if they wrote it. I don't know who was doing this song, nor can I be arsed with trying to figure it out at this point, but things like this just have to stop. If any one knows who is defacing this song, please let me know, so I can write my local congressman. This is the way the world ends...not with a bang, but a whimper...

On a more positive note,

I plan to see Alice himself right here in my home town of Joliet on the 12th of October! :D

http://www.outagamiecountyfair.com/images/alice_cooper_lg.jpg

El Sitherino
08-21-2005, 04:50 AM
Ugh, I hate that song. ****ing ravers play it a lot, pisses me off.

Darth Groovy
08-21-2005, 04:59 AM
See I didn't even really care THAT much for Cooper's verion of that song when it FIRST came out in 1989, it had too much cheese metal appeal. I didn't start to like the song until I heard him play it on his Brutal Live tour in 2000. The slow the intro waaaaaaay down, add alot of re-verb, and it has a really good creepy cool vibe too it, which is what I have come to love about his music.

ZBomber
08-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Ever hear the rap version of Ozzy's Crazy Train?

'nuff said, :p

Breton
08-21-2005, 10:39 AM
But I really liked Korn's "Word up"...:(

Pie™
08-21-2005, 12:05 PM
How about the Donnas' version of School's Out? *shivers*

Hermie
08-21-2005, 12:23 PM
When I was in a CD shop in Athens Airport, they interupted Deep Purples Child in Time for a techno-reggae version of Light my Fire...

I had to leave so I wouldn't smash up the store.

Mike Windu
08-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Ever hear the rap version of Ozzy's Crazy Train?

'nuff said, :p

It's not an actual remake of Crazy Train you know. They just sampled it.

;)

Bob Lion54
08-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Techno-reggae?!?!

Thats like Christian Death Metal. They shouldn't mix, but apparently they do?

Darth Groovy
08-21-2005, 04:28 PM
But I really liked Korn's "Word up"...:(

By chance did you go see the Dukes of Hazzard movie?

Lightsaberboy
08-21-2005, 09:02 PM
looks like Snape! O_O

Darth Groovy
08-21-2005, 09:05 PM
looks like Snape! O_O

You think Alice looks like Snape?!:o

That is funny! :lol:

toms
08-22-2005, 07:37 AM
You should try out local supermarket where they have Elavator Music style vocal-less covers of loads of classic and new stuff.
It puts you in a sort of daze where you wander round in a detached state and chuck products in your trolley. then suddenly you realise the mellow tune goinf round in your head is "Smells like Teen Spirit" or "Walk this Way". Wierd place.

Outside of elavator music, I tend to like covers that try and do songs in different genres, rather than sound identical to the original. Joss Stone's cover of Fell in love with a boy, Scissor Sister's cover of Comfortably Numb, and if i remember rightly The Cardigans did some wierd covers of Black Sabbath songs on almost every album of theirs...

acdcfanbill
08-23-2005, 12:30 PM
im not sure what song Word Up is, so i obviously dont know how korn's cover is. :p

however, i do like the Children of Bodom cover of Coopers, Bed of Nails.

toms
08-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Yoh pretty ladies around the world
Got a wierd thing to show you
So tell all the boys and girls
Tell your brother, your sister and your mamma too
We're about to go down
And you know just what to do
Wave your hands in the air like you don't care
Glide past the people as they stop to look and stare
Do your dance, do your dance, do your dance quick mamma
Come on baby tell me what's the word

Word up everybody say
When you hear the call you've gotta get it underway
Word up it's the code word
No matter where you say it you know that you'll be heard

Now you sucker DJ's that think you're fly
There's gotta be a reason and you know the reason why
Why you put on your airs and you act real cool
Got to realise that you're acting like fools
Now there's music we can use it
You're free to dance
We don't have the time for psychological romance
No romance, no romance, no romance for me and mamma
Come on baby tell me what's the word

Word up everybody say
When you hear the call you've gotta get it underway
Oouuhh

Dial L for love, Dial L for love, Dial L for love
Yea yeaahhh

W.O.R.D UP, W.O.R.D RRRHHAAAHA, W.O.R.D UP, W.O.R.D UP
Yeeeaaaahhhhhh

etc..

ZBomber
08-23-2005, 01:45 PM
I don't care what anyone says, Aerosmith with RUN DMC in Walk This Way SUCKS. And I'm a really big Aerosmith fan....

Hermie
08-23-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't care what anyone says, Aerosmith with RUN DMC in Walk This Way SUCKS. And I'm a really big Aerosmith fan....
^Wise man.

Mike Windu
08-23-2005, 04:03 PM
;_;

Blasphemous!

*dashes out of thread*

El Sitherino
08-23-2005, 04:30 PM
... You sir are evil and will meet your end at the stroke of midnight.

ZBomber
08-23-2005, 06:16 PM
... You sir are evil and will meet your end at the stroke of midnight.

They butchered the song. It was not meant to be rapped, and it opened the way to crappy rap/rock bands like Linkin Park and the rap song with Ozzy's "aye aye aye".

Not to mention it's labeled as RUN DMC feat. Aerosmith, when infact it's Aerosmith's song.

El Sitherino
08-23-2005, 06:35 PM
They butchered the song. It was not meant to be rapped, and it opened the way to crappy rap/rock bands like Linkin Park and the rap song with Ozzy's "aye aye aye".

Not to mention it's labeled as RUN DMC feat. Aerosmith, when infact it's Aerosmith's song.
Which is even more hilarious since it was Steven Tyler's idea.

And no, it didnt' open the way for crappy bands like Linkin Park, that's a mystery that is incapable of being explained.

Vikinor
08-23-2005, 06:37 PM
When I heard that rap song using Ozzy's beat, I wanted to find those rap artists and murder them.

Datheus
08-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Since everyone is talking about covers, here's one that rules all:

Boyz In The Hood by Dynamite Hack (originally by Easy E, I think)

Mike Windu
08-23-2005, 09:54 PM
When I heard that rap song using Ozzy's beat, I wanted to find those rap artists and murder them.

You run down to Atlanta and you find Trick Daddy and shoot him.

I'll see you on the 6 o clock news. :p

the rap song with Ozzy's "aye aye aye".

Trick Daddy - Let's Go. Which was cool. >_>

XD

shukrallah
08-23-2005, 09:57 PM
You should try out local supermarket where they have Elavator Music style vocal-less covers of loads of classic and new stuff.

I love elevator music. :zz1:

toms
08-24-2005, 06:01 AM
Shall i mention Puff Daddy's use of Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir” in his song “Come with Me" (from godzilla movie)???
(though to be honest i quite liked it...)

Astrotoy7
08-24-2005, 06:30 AM
There was a techno-pop version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' that was made by a female artist in the UK(whose name escapes me) It gained more attention than it should have as it was released not long before Kurt topped himself...

I wouldnt be too dismayed though. If Alice wrote that song, he'd be making crazy money from anyone covering his song... In fact, whoever own the rights to the song would have had to have given permission for the techno thang to happen.

mtfbwya

Pie™
08-24-2005, 10:12 AM
There was a techno-pop version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' that was made by a female artist in the UK(whose name escapes me) I
Tori Amos covered that too.

The Sisters Of Mercy's version of the Hot Chocolate song 'Emma' is probably my favourite cover, as it add so many new elements to the originally pretty brainless pop song.

ZBomber
08-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Which is even more hilarious since it was Steven Tyler's idea.

You could not be anymore wrong.

Walk This Way (1986)
- Was originally going to be done by only Run DMC, but their producer Rick Rubin wanted Aerosmith in it.

Mike Windu
08-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Honestly, who the hell cares. They did it with Aerosmith, and evidently thought it was good enough to release.

and what do you know, it was. :p

YOU ARE DISMISSED, AEROSMITH FANBOY :p

am I kidding? am I not? Is Santa real?

ZBomber
08-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Honestly, who the hell cares. They did it with Aerosmith, and evidently thought it was good enough to release.

and what do you know, it was. :p

YOU ARE DISMISSED, AEROSMITH FANBOY :p

am I kidding? am I not? Is Santa real?

Aerosmith didn't release it, Run DMC did, so what makes you think Aerosmith liked it at all?

YOU ARE DISMISSED, IGNORANT FOOL

oh, right.... ":p"

Mike Windu
08-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, they must have liked it at least a little, seeing as how they also made a music video with Run DMC to promote the song.

You are dispwned.

:p

ZBomber
08-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Video was made when Tyler was on drugs. Drugs mess with your mind and make you do stupid things

Like being in a rap video.

Besides, even if he was in his sane mind, maybe they didn't like it later, happened with other songs. Just because you record something doesn't mean you like it, and in this case, it sucks.

So, stfu, you don't know what you're talking about, thanks.

Mike Windu
08-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Like being in a rap video.

Looked like they were playin their song, and then Run DMC bust through the wall and started rapping with them.

You know, the video was supposed to be symbolic. The whole kind of breaking the barrier between black/white music. Rap v Rock and whatnot.

But you know, I have no idea what the **** I'm talking about. :)

El Sitherino
08-24-2005, 11:03 PM
You could not be anymore wrong.
Not according to Tyler when he did a thing on VH1.

CapNColostomy
08-24-2005, 11:13 PM
According to the guys in Run DMC, on VH1 I might add, it was all producer Rick Rubins idea. Run DMC thought it was a dumb idea, and they didn't even like the song much, or know wtf the lyrics were even about. They got Aerosmith onboard, did it, and the rest as they say, is history. Really ****ty history. As far as it opening the door for rap-metal, the only good thing to EVER come out of that ****-fest, was Faith No More. Period. And even they abandoned it.

ZBomber
08-24-2005, 11:31 PM
According to the guys in Run DMC, on VH1 I might add, it was all producer Rick Rubins idea. Run DMC thought it was a dumb idea, and they didn't even like the song much, or know wtf the lyrics were even about. They got Aerosmith onboard, did it, and the rest as they say, is history. Really ****ty history. As far as it opening the door for rap-metal, the only good thing to EVER come out of that ****-fest, was Faith No More. Period. And even they abandoned it.

Thank you. <3

You know, the video was supposed to be symbolic. The whole kind of breaking the barrier between black/white music. Rap v Rock and whatnot.

Seems like all the video did was open Pandora's Box and start a ton of crappy hybrid bands. Color has nothing to do with it, ever hear of Jimi Hendrix?

Darth Groovy
08-24-2005, 11:46 PM

That's right man. Sure, Patton did it at first, but he turned out to be so sooooo much more than that. Listen to freaking later material like "Ashes To Ashes", and tell me Mike Patton isn't one of the strongest vocalists/front men in the industry. FNM were virtual unknowns until Patton brought all his madness to the group. Even now that FNM are no longer a group, Patten's side projects continue to sell records.

Mike Windu
08-24-2005, 11:47 PM
No, I haven't heard of Jimi Little Wing Hey Joe Hendrix.

Regardless, Jimi Hendrix was wayyyy back there in the 60's. Rap listeners don't exactly listen to that kind of stuff. Therefore it was a way to bring something together that rap listeners would be used to and would be able to recognize. Likewise it had someone who listens to mostly rock hear a bit of rap.

There's no evidence that this collaboration started hybrid nu metal. :/

El Sitherino
08-25-2005, 12:11 AM
I blame Limp Bizkit for making it mainstream, thus "neat-o".

CapNColostomy
08-25-2005, 12:23 AM
I blame Korn. And Limp Bizkit. And Linkin Park. I could literally sit here and type this stuff out all day. I won't. But I could.

ZBomber
08-25-2005, 12:40 AM
No, I haven't heard of Jimi Little Wing Hey Joe Hendrix.

Regardless, Jimi Hendrix was wayyyy back there in the 60's. Rap listeners don't exactly listen to that kind of stuff. Therefore it was a way to bring something together that rap listeners would be used to and would be able to recognize. Likewise it had someone who listens to mostly rock hear a bit of rap.

There's no evidence that this collaboration started hybrid nu metal. :/

Aerosmith had also been dead for about 7 years when this happened, NO ONE knew Aerosmith, most didn't even know what or who Aerosmith was, they were yesterdays at the time. People knew who Jimi Hendrix more than Aerosmith.

Believe me, this is not the topic to get in an argument with me in, I know a lot more about it then you....

El Sitherino
08-25-2005, 12:50 AM
+200 E-PENIS!

ZBomber
08-25-2005, 12:55 AM
+200 E-PENIS!

Heh, thats still 200 more than any penis you have, eh? ;)

El Sitherino
08-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Heh, thats still 200 more than any penis you have, eh? ;)
Oh noes, I have been defeated by the cave troll. My elven warrior died. ;_;

*hands ET the dice*

ET Warrior
08-25-2005, 01:02 AM
*rolls a 20*

And my +20 bonus to Moderation means this thread is OVAR!

El Sitherino
08-25-2005, 01:04 AM
HAHA, MY ELVEN CURSE R VICTORYUS!

Darth Groovy
08-25-2005, 01:04 AM
I blame Limp Bizkit for making it mainstream, thus "neat-o".

And I blame Limp Bizkit for being about the most obnoxious "flavor-of-the-month" to ever make a record.

acdcfanbill
08-25-2005, 10:42 AM
and I blame record lables for wanting to suck the american consumer dry of cash and not careing at all about musical creation.

edit: i also blame vb3 for not telling me the thread was closed other than a small tiny button, and leaving the quick reply area still there,...