PDA

View Full Version : Serenity *Spoilers*

Tokarev
09-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Only one week to go until Serenity! Anymore fans here excited to see it than some of us already know?

I get to see it Tuesday provided it goes well.

ET Warrior
09-23-2005, 12:45 PM
I am somewhere above and beyond any level of description in terms of my excitement for this movie.

coupes.
09-23-2005, 01:58 PM
I've never heard of it.

Feanaro
09-23-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm excited to see it, though i've only seen a couple episodes, I hope I can still get the just of it.

CapNColostomy
09-23-2005, 03:28 PM
I've never heard of it.

Same.

ET Warrior
09-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm excited to see it, though i've only seen a couple episodes, I hope I can still get the just of it.
I believe the movie is supposed to be descriptive enough for people who've never even seen firefly to understand.

For those who've not heard of it, www.serenitymovie.com has a decent enough description, the movie itself is based off of the short-lived phenomenal TV series Firefly.

the_raven_03
09-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Meh

But seriously, I cannot wait to see this movie. I do love Firefly.

Tokarev
09-28-2005, 12:46 AM
Well all I'll have to say is keep an open mind when seeing this movie. The transition to me didn't feel right. And also.... This would give it away, so here goes.

Book and Wash die.

Mike Windu
09-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Never even heard of the show Firefly or the movie Serenity till you nuts started putting it in your sigs and avs. :p

It looks...sort of good. A bit cheesy >>

ET Warrior
09-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Say that again and see what happens to your face.

Lightsaberboy
09-28-2005, 01:54 AM
I believe the movie is supposed to be descriptive enough for people who've never even seen firefly to understand.

yea, the beginning they do a good job bringing people up to date with the whole story.

i'm excited to see it, even though i went to a prescreening in june and saw a rough cut, where i also met joss whedon himself. ah, good times.

it'll be cool to see it now with the final score in. speaking of which, the soundtrack should be available for the movie now!

Tyrion
09-28-2005, 02:36 AM

*readies the spiked two by four*

Kain
09-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Meh, might give it a look...once its on DVD...and a friend owns/rents it...and the only other option is staring at reruns on TV(which I loathe).

ET Warrior
09-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Bahahaha. I have managed to aquire some tickets to a midnight showing of Serenity at a theater not too far from where I live! I am so so so so so so so excited I cannot even DESCRIBE it properly.

Tyrion
09-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Bahahaha. I have managed to aquire some tickets to a midnight showing of Serenity at a theater not too far from where I live! I am so so so so so so so excited I cannot even DESCRIBE it properly.

I so hope that this movie's gonna net Joss Whendon another season of Firefly.

Because Firefly kicks ass.

And so does Vera. *swoon*

Vera is Jayne's rifle, you dolts.

Mike Windu
09-28-2005, 10:42 PM

Nothing? :p

ET Warrior
09-28-2005, 10:51 PM
I so hope that this movie's gonna net Joss Whendon another season of Firefly.According to Universal, if Serenity nets 80+ million dollars, there will be another two movies, and then who knows.

So anyone who loves firefly and serenity, it is your DUTY to see this movie, preferably multiple times. I know I intend to see it at LEAST three times this weekend, who knows about the coming weeks.

Feanaro
09-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Just finished watching the rest of the season. Can't say I really liked how it ended, they probably figured on another season, so they left things in the air! I'm super excited to see it now.

ET Warrior
09-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Actually, I believe they may have known it was going to end, but there was no way to pull off any kind of real finality in only 1 or 2 episodes, so they were forced to give us a semi-ending-ish-thing.

Lightsaberboy
09-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Actually, I believe they may have known it was going to end, but there was no way to pull off any kind of real finality in only 1 or 2 episodes, so they were forced to give us a semi-ending-ish-thing.

they found out they got cancelled while filming the last few eps. that's why in "the message", when they bring tracys body to his family on the planet, joss is in the group of families mourning him, cause he's mourning the show, and also greg edmunson said the music he wrote for that scene was too beautiful because it wasnt just goodbye to this person but his goodbye to this show as well.

Katarn07
09-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Never saw the show, but the trailers for this look like crap. That said, I'd keep an open mind and see it (on DVD, not in theaters) and see what I think of it. Who knows? I may become a Firefly fan.

ET Warrior
09-29-2005, 10:15 AM
I knew about the song being a goodbye to Firefly, but I'll admit I didn't notice Joss in that scene...I will have to go look...

Regardless, they were left with only two episodes to potentially bring a close, (And one of the two was never even aired...) so there was no way to get any real closure in the series, until now! Come on serenity!

ET Warrior
09-30-2005, 04:32 AM
OH! MY! GOD!

That was...approximately one of the most amazing movies that I have ever seen. Holy freakin' crap. I am rather speechless and without words...so....yeah. GO SEE THIS NOW.

Lightsaberboy
09-30-2005, 08:21 AM
did you wait till the end of the credits cause they play an instrumental version of the ballad of serenity. something for the fans since the theme wasnt put in the movie :)

Bastila
09-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Do you have to see firefly to understand what the films about???

Lightsaberboy
09-30-2005, 08:43 AM
nope. the film does a very good job explaining things and bringing non fans up to speed. people who have seen Firefly would prolly just appreciate the movie more because it's a continuation of one of their favorite shows, but non viewers could still enjoy it.

jon_hill987
09-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Seen the trailer, It does look good.

toms
09-30-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm soooo excited. Both this and Nightwatch released on the same week int he UK. Yes!!

There are posters for it all around london.

The trailer was ok... it worked pretty well for those of us who know firefly (or bufy or angel) but I'm not sure how it would have looked to the uninitiated... hopefully it drags them in because its had good reviews from pretty much everyone, and i'm hoping it gets resurected as a series (or a set of films).

Prime
09-30-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm taking a wait and see approach. The production values look good, but some of the dialog seemed a bit groan-worthy.

ET Warrior
09-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Okay, now that I've had 12 hours to calm down, and analyze, I have to make a bold statement. This movie is every bit as good as Star Wars. Any Star Wars. I think this may be the greatest movie I have ever seen in my life.

It honestly had everything a good science-fiction movie should have...hell, it had everything any good movie should have. Suspense, drama, romance, explosions, humor, and general bad-assery.

I will admit, I don't think anyone who hasn't seen the series should watch this movie. I am fairly confident that it would lose a LOT of the impact, and you would also miss out on a lot of small things that fans of the series can only truly appreciate.

If you're a firefly fan, you will LOVE Serenity.

I'm going to see it a couple more times tonight, I can't stop thinking about it.

Pnut_Master
09-30-2005, 09:10 PM
I'm considering seeing this movie with friends...

So, ET Warrior, would you say Firefly/Serenity rivals the awesomeness of Dune :P?

Tyrion
09-30-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm considering seeing this movie with friends...

So, ET Warrior, would you say Firefly/Serenity rivals the awesomeness of Dune :P?

The movie, the miniseries, or the book?

Uber difference.

jokemaster
10-01-2005, 01:01 AM
I loved that they had Wash's plastic dinosaurs in the movie.

I loved the movie, I agree with ET, it's got everything a sci-fi flick should have.

Lightsaberboy
10-01-2005, 01:51 AM
watched it today, making it the second time i've seen it, and it was still just as awesome.

the music was really good in the movie. David newman was able to fit in the big shoes greg edmunson left. the themes had traces of Firefly in it, but sounded bigger and more movie-like. and hearing the instrumental ballad of serenity at the end of the credits was nice.

the only thing i kinda felt disappointed about was that they didnt seem to clarify that zoe and wash were married. there were some subtle hints in the movie that showed that those 2 might have a t hing going on, but i dunno if non fans would've got that they were married.

and some of my friends who never saw firefly and watched serenity didnt seem to know what inara's profession was, but tehy stll really enjoyed the movie.

ET Warrior
10-01-2005, 02:49 AM
Or they might have realized they were married when, at the beginning Zoe asks Mal if they're crashing again and Mal says "Go ask your husband" .... mebbe that's just me :xp:

It certainly was NOT made clear what Inara did for a living in the movie, but it was hardly pertinant.

Mike Windu
10-02-2005, 01:02 AM
I am now a Firefly fan.
;_; best sci fi film I've ever seen.
It >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SW

and yeah, I figured Wash and Zoe were married (especially from the husband/wife dialogue). Jane wasn't as cheesy as I thought he would be. So I take that back. He was not a one dimensional rugged gun toting 80's punisher type character I thought he would be. :p
And Kaylee and Zoe are so ****ing hawt. Especially Kaylee.

>_>
<_<

and right when I was thinking to myself "Wow, this might be a movie where none of the good guys die" Wash freakin dies. :( I liked Wash. :(

I demand sequels. NOW.

Lightsaberboy
10-02-2005, 02:29 AM
Ebert and Roeper give it 2 thumbs up! i just listened to a .mp3 of their show this week.

http://a.movies.go.com/downloads/podcasts/ebert/051003-podcast.mp3

about 4:30 in they talk about serenity. they both really seemed to enjoy it.

w00t.

El Sitherino
10-02-2005, 10:55 AM
While it's far from being Star Wars, it is pretty badass. The show always had a kind of "Cowboy Bebop" feel to it, to me. And the Movie had a "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" feel to it.

Tokarev
10-02-2005, 06:16 PM
right when I was thinking to myself "Wow, this might be a movie where none of the good guys die" Wash freakin dies. :( I liked Wash. :(

I just hate how they up and kill him off the way they did.. Of course I did read that it would happen, but I was hoping it was just BS.

Mike Windu
10-02-2005, 06:55 PM
I dunno. It was crazy to me how that happened. I would rather that had happened than him sitting with the rest behind the crates defending.

Lightsaberboy
10-02-2005, 07:26 PM
he died doing what he does best: flying and making jokes. it was the right way for him to go.

and did anyone think that the operative's character seem to be a parallel to book's? he was always a mysterious person. outwardly he looked like a priest, but had so much intellect and knowledge of Alliance dealings and stuff. perhaps book was once an operative? O_o

Prime
10-02-2005, 08:05 PM
8.7 on IMDB. I may have to check this out...

ET Warrior
10-02-2005, 08:34 PM
I don't think you will regret it. It is fantastic.

Mike Windu
10-02-2005, 08:36 PM
It is very fantastic Prime :D

Trust the Mouse! :p

I love Wash's little phrase that he starts saying though. It's very poetic. ^_^

jokemaster
10-02-2005, 10:43 PM
My friends and I have now taken to saying "I am a leaf on the wind, whatch how I soar."

Mike Windu
10-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Shhhhh jokemaster! People are supposed to experience the coolness of that without knowing they say it. >_< :p

Tokarev
10-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Shhhhh jokemaster! People are supposed to experience the coolness of that without knowing they say it. >_< :p

There is a trailer for that. :p

Lightsaberboy
10-03-2005, 04:56 AM
well the weekend box office results are in. Serenity placed second with 10.1 million. Flightplan took the lead with 15 million. Into the blue placed 5th with about 7 million.

at least it beat into the blue, but the box office numbers werent that great. granted they werent terrible also, but if this film has any chance of warranting a sequel it needs some good word of mouth to get more tickets sold.

toms
10-03-2005, 12:54 PM
or good international or dvd sales. A lot of smaller films don't do that great on initial release, but good word of mouth means they do great later on. The Bourne Identity was a film that was poor in the box office, but topped all the DVD sales/rental charts.

I'm taking a wait and see approach. The production values look good, but some of the dialog seemed a bit groan-worthy.

I get how you would think that from the trailer. All joss whedon stuff has always had a very unique dialogue.. in some ways its kinda realistic, but in others its very stylised. Its kind of like the dialogue we would all talk if we could come up with clever sci-fi referenced one liners allt he time. ;)
Might take a while to adjust to for the uninitiated.

@Mike Windu - Had you seen Firefly? I'm interested to know if those who hadn't watched the series liked it as much as those that had.

I might try and watch the previews on thursday, but i really should be moving house. Hard choice...

Lightsaberboy
10-03-2005, 01:12 PM
i dont think universal is factoring dvd sales in its "80 million globally" goal for a sequel, but im not sure on that. i think it's just box office of US and international for that number tho.

i brought a bunch of friends to see it on friday. 2 never heard of firefly and thought the movie was really good, and i've heard the same results from other people, so no worries it seems.

some hardcore fans dont really like the movie tho cause of book and wash's death, going off on how joss betrayed them, how he took the sky from them, yadda yadda yadda. i think they're whiners but that could hurt the word of mouth also if they're gonna boycott the movie.
this movie needs to do well! it's awesome and everyone and their mother needs to see it!

El Sitherino
10-03-2005, 02:27 PM
some hardcore fans dont really like the movie tho cause of book and wash's death, going off on how joss betrayed them, how he took the sky from them, yadda yadda yadda. i think they're whiners but that could hurt the word of mouth also if they're gonna boycott the movie.
They are whiners, his story he can off who he wants.

ET Warrior
10-03-2005, 02:49 PM
I changed the name of the thread, since it's not really one week to go anymore. :D

I think people who bitch about the deaths are closed minded whiners. While I was rather sad that book and wash died, I think their deaths made the movie better. They made it real, gritty, and gut-wrenching. There was more emotion, and there was more intensity. Book dying really made me feel that Joss was willing to kill anyone, so I never felt that anyone was safe. I was, at one point, very certain that EVERYONE was going to die, including Mal.

Prime
10-03-2005, 04:21 PM
well the weekend box office results are in. Serenity placed second with 10.1 million. Flightplan took the lead with 15 million. Into the blue placed 5th with about 7 million.

at least it beat into the blue, but the box office numbers werent that great. granted they werent terrible also, but if this film has any chance of warranting a sequel it needs some good word of mouth to get more tickets sold.I posted this in the Serenity thread in the Alto forum, but I'll put it here as well...

Alas, Serenity was the only film this weekend (top 10 at least) to have fewer ticket sales on Saturday as it did on Friday according to Box Office Mojo. That usually is a very bad sign, but word of mouth may be strong and it could do better next weekend. But I suspect that this may be a "niche" film that will end up being a cult classic, but lack box office success. We will have to watch and see...

I will likely be catching the film this weekend...

Lightsaberboy
10-03-2005, 05:25 PM
well for friday they also added the sales from all the previous prescreenings, so you gotta take that into factor as well.

Mike Windu
10-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Toms: No, I never saw firefly in my life. From lightsaberboy's sig I felt a vibe of pure cheese coming from Serenity.

But ET usually (read: usually) makes good calls, so I decided to see this one anyway.

ET Warrior
10-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Usually? My taste is impeccable.

Lightsaberboy
10-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Toms: No, I never saw firefly in my life. From lightsaberboy's sig I felt a vibe of pure cheese coming from Serenity.

:(... but that was one of the best moments in the movie!

Prime
10-03-2005, 10:16 PM
well for friday they also added the sales from all the previous prescreenings, so you gotta take that into factor as well.It may, I'm not sure. But that would mean all the other films' numbers would as well...

Mike Windu
10-04-2005, 07:10 AM
... but that was one of the best moments in the movie!

It was like...1 second long... and they didn't make a big deal out of that line. Which is good. :p

Dialogue is pretty good in this movie. All the characters have good chemistry with each other.

ET Warrior
10-05-2005, 08:14 AM
What's that? Orson Scott Card LOVES Serenity? (http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2005-09-30-extra.shtml)

I'll let that sink in a moment.

Orson freakin' Scott Card. It may mean little to some or even most of you, but those who read a lot of science fiction know what I'm talking about, I particularly enjoy this snippet the most
Well, guess what.

It's great.

I'm not going to say it's the best science fiction movie, ever.

Oh, wait. Yes I am. That's right. He said it's the best science fiction movie EVER. :D

Prime
10-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Congratulations to Orsan Scott Card for enjoying the film.

:)

El Sitherino
10-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Eh, Orson Scott Card is kinda over-rated, so his opinion on a sci-fi movie won't be held higher than any other person. By me that is.

I still think Forbidden Planet and The Day The Earth Stood Still are the best sci-fi movies.

ET Warrior
10-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Eh, Orson Scott Card is kinda over-ratedAnd with that...I kill you.

*stab*

Seriously peoples, if you haven't seen Serenity yet...you should probably do something about that. I don't care if you think the previews look cheesey / stupid / whatever, we already have two

On rottentomatoes there are over 100 fresh critic reviews, and over 200 fresh user reviews.

It. Rocks.

Kryllith
10-06-2005, 01:45 PM
this movie needs to do well! it's awesome and everyone and their mother needs to see it!

I already made my mother see it (I loaned her and my step-father the Firefly dvds a couple months back). Already made several of my friends see and I'm looking to bring at least 3 more tomorrow or saturday, as I've given them a week to watch the dvds as well.

Think what we really need is to have all the fans, Browncoats or otherwise, go and see the movie again, and make everyone who's already seen it before bring at least one friend with them who hasn't seen see it. Heck, with the DVD sales soaring again (it was like #2 or 3 on Amazon this week and has been selling out all over the place), Serenity has the potential to have a very strong second weekend. Just wish they'd had released it in more theatres...

Kryllith

acdcfanbill
10-06-2005, 07:21 PM
yea i might see it again, and im def gonna pickup the firefly DVDs :)

Lightsaberboy
10-06-2005, 08:57 PM
for anyone wondering whether to see it or not, Universal put the first 9 minutes of the film online. you can view it here (http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Serenity/web/index.html)

it's the full beginning leading right before the title sequence.

if firefox doesnt work, use IE

jokemaster
10-06-2005, 09:08 PM
^OMG! First nine minutes?!

Tyrion
10-06-2005, 11:55 PM
GLEE!

I need to see this movie, or friendly to a sword I'll be...

TiE23
10-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Man, saw the movie last night. I am so getting the DVD, it was awesome. The camera work was great. But the editing in how the shots changed so quickly was kinda annoying. But it was awesome. :D

If you haven't seen it, see it!

Tyrion
10-09-2005, 03:29 AM
Saw the movie along with my dad and brother.

Okay. Joss Whedon is, in my opinion, up in the very pinnacle of human creation right with John Lennon and...and....Joss Whedon.

Everything was great about it...the plot, the combat, special effects...

even Wash dying, he had saved his family in a moment of glory. What more could he have asked for?

Besides living a long life with Zoe, 'course...

Howsabout we be a little courteous and hide the big spoilers you silly boy ~ET

Lightsaberboy
10-09-2005, 04:20 AM
what's with hiding the spoilers if the title clearly states that there's spoilers? O_o

anyways, the film only made abut $1.6 million on friday. i doubt it will be able to make it to $20 million by the end of sunday. i'm hoping, but as the days go by it's looking less and less likely. looks like the chances of a sequel are getting slim.... :(

CapNColostomy
10-09-2005, 04:26 AM
I watched nine minutes, and it looked like your standard, run of the mill, Sci Fi Channel crap to me. I kept waiting for a half shark, half giant cat fish to jump out. None for me thanks.

Kryllith
10-09-2005, 11:35 AM
anyways, the film only made abut $1.6 million on friday. i doubt it will be able to make it to $20 million by the end of sunday. i'm hoping, but as the days go by it's looking less and less likely. looks like the chances of a sequel are getting slim.... :(

Problem is too many people are writing it off without seeing it. Heck, I've paid for the tickets of 5 of my friends already to go see it, and every one of them loved it. If people would get a clue and actually SEE it instead of just automatically writing it off, then things would actually pick up. Course it's not our fault I guess if people don't know what they're missing.

ET Warrior
10-09-2005, 01:18 PM
what's with hiding the spoilers if the title clearly states that there's spoilers? O_oBecause some people still look at threads with spoilers in them, and it's just nice of us to hide the big ones.

How would you feel having that ruined for you?

Tyrion
10-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Because some people still look at threads with spoilers in them, and it's just nice of us to hide the big ones.

How would you feel having that ruined for you?

Sorry about that...came home at one in the morning...

Of course, if people look at threads with spoilers in them, wouldn't it be logical to assume that they'll just highlight the spoilers too?

:grinandrun:

ET Warrior
10-09-2005, 03:50 PM
They might, they might not. Regardless, with something THAT big, it's just nice to taggify them :)

I went and saw it for the 5th time last night...and it was just as good as it was the first time. I LOVE this movie.

RoxStar
10-09-2005, 08:18 PM
I will admit, I don't think anyone who hasn't seen the series should watch this movie. I am fairly confident that it would lose a LOT of the impact, and you would also miss out on a lot of small things that fans of the series can only truly appreciate.

If you're a firefly fan, you will LOVE Serenity.

I meant to watch Firefly when it was on Fox, but I never did.

That being said.

I love this movie. Does anyone know where I could buy the original Firefly episodes. I must view them, posthaste.

I love the part about the reevers(sp?)

Lightsaberboy
10-09-2005, 08:33 PM
you could find the box set in basically any place that sells dvds like target or best buy. amazon has it for cheap i believe, so you can try there.

TiE23
10-09-2005, 10:14 PM
I rented the series on Netflix, should be here soon :D

RoxStar
10-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Now theres an idea, is there anyway to check if Blockbuster carries the DVDs?

Lightsaberboy
10-09-2005, 10:53 PM
i suppose....call them to find out!

RoxStar
10-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Checked the site, you have to rent each disc one at a time :(

TiE23
10-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Checked the site, you have to rent each disc one at a time :(
Hmm, $4.50 x 4 DVDs = $18..... not good.

Call me a sell out, but you should get Netflix, great thing to have. Havent been to Blockbuster in 10 months.

ET Warrior
10-09-2005, 11:54 PM
or you should just buy the DVD's...and then you can watch them always :D

Tyrion
10-10-2005, 12:35 AM
or you should just buy the DVD's...and then you can watch them always :D

Yeah, my father's hooked on the movie and is going to get the series dvd soon.

Hopefully Universal will realize that Serenity is going to make twice as much on dvd as it does in Theater.

Prime
10-10-2005, 01:29 AM
I finally got around to seeing it tonight. It's late so I'll have to give my thoughts (which I know you are all dying to hear) tomorrow. In short, I thought it was a fun film that had some flaws...

the_raven_03
10-10-2005, 01:52 AM
I saw it again last night and am hoping to see it with some family this weekend. It is such an amazing movie. Every second I saw on the screen was as awesome as the first time I had seen it.

I hope it makes enough money to warrant futher stories of the lives of Mal and his crew.

ET Warrior
10-10-2005, 03:25 AM
I find that I'm rather addicted to the story of Firefly/Serenity. I feel an aching need to know MORE about their adventures. what happens next? Where will they go? What capers will unravel? Joss Whedon truly is my master. He owns my brain.

Lightsaberboy
10-10-2005, 04:59 AM
yea, dont you wish you met him in person and had your picture taken with him?:D

oh, and the word out is that serenity placed #1 in the uk this weekend.good news indeed.

toms
10-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Seen it!!! :)

Few initial points. While its a good movie if you haven't watched Firefly... its much more of an "ending to the series" than an intro to newbies. It almost feels more like the final part in a trilogy than the first one. Don't let that put you off watching it if you haven't seen Firefly (but if you happen to have the dvds watch them first).
I thought it would maybe retell some of the origin stories from the series, but it doesn't really. Still works as a whole movie though.

IMHO it starts slow and gets better and better. So i'm not convinced that putting the first 9 minutes up is a good way to sell it. While there are some interesting bits in the first 9 minutes, they don't really have any big budget set pieces that would blow people away... so i can see why CapNC might think it looked like a sci-fi tv series. It does get better and better as it builds to the end though.

I thought it was excellent, though possibly not quite as great as some of you guys think (not best sci-fi film ever... SW, Terminator and Aliens still beat it imho) but still excellent.

I think it might have tried a little too much (setting up the characters and setting, finishing the series, starting a trilogy, etc..) which meant you didn't quite get an impression of the depth of the world they had created (that you get in classic movies like SW and LOTR)... not really enough cowboy stuff to set its world apart from other sci-fi universes. Didn't quite give the Alliance the same "evil empire" feel you got from the Empire in SW for example.

Other than that it rocked. I loved the characters (new and old), the plot, the interaction, the jokes, the final action scenes, etc..

Although I will miss Wash and it was a real shame to see him go, I also thought it was a great touch, meant you didn't assume they'd all survive the end fight and was a good way for him to go. I was never much of a fan of the Sheperd Book character, so I won't miss him as much... but it did seem a bit of a shame to kill him off without finding out his secret... or even without him being a main character in the film. Seemed kind of a waste to me as it wouldn;t have meant much to those that hadn't watched Firefly.

Those "fans" saying Joss betrayed them by killing them are idiots, and obviously don't kinow Joss very well as he has a habit of killing off major characters in order to shock the viewers. its one of the things that makes his shows more interesting.

ET Warrior
10-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Didn't quite give the Alliance the same "evil empire" feel you got from the Empire in SW for example.]I believe that was intentional, and am rather fond of it.

I think the whole point here is that there isn't exactly "good" and "evil" in this movie. I mean, we know that Mal and crew are our protagonists,
But Mal pushes an innocent man off the mule and kills him before the reavers can, something you'd never see happen in a Star Wars movie, plus our entire group of "heros" is made up of thieves.

What we're shown is a universe filled with varying shades of grey, with people taking up sides depending on what they believe. I think it's fantastic.

toms
10-10-2005, 10:30 AM
I believe that was intentional, and am rather fond of it.

You are right, and its not really a negative as such. I really like the whole shades of grey thing, especially in the "heroes".
It did mean that you didn't really get much of a sense of who the Alliance were. No consistent ship style for the alliance or anything. Thats not necessarily a bad thing... i just think it meant there wasn't quite as much world depth and epic feeling to it as movies like star wars.
It had a much more intimate feel to it. Which may be intentional as a way to differentiate it, but does leave it feeling a little more like a feature length tv show than a big budget movie.

I'd hope that if they do get the chance to do any more films they will be able to spend a bit more time fleshing out the background of the universe, the war and the alliance.

Really though, that minor complaint was the only one i had.

ET Warrior
10-10-2005, 10:34 AM
I certainly know where you're coming from, the movie does play out somewhat like an extended TV show.

It's main hurdle is that we have too many main characters for a 2 hour movie. We have our 8 main people from the TV show, plus our villain, and it's impossible to get enough exposition on all of them to still have time for the interesting things. Because of that I think alot of people who saw the movie without the TV show were under the impression that alot of the crew was of minor importance, and your typical crewman #6.

Of course, there was no way to avoid this, it's just what they had to face in the change of medium, and I'd say it was handled very aptly.

RoxStar
10-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I dunno, I thought that the characters made the movie feel larger, opening it up for a series of movies. It reminded me of the first Star Wars movie only, dare I say, better!

ET Warrior
10-10-2005, 11:07 AM
I myself have already said I feel at the moment like it may be my favorite science fiction movie ever, so I certainly agree with you, but with so many characters we couldn't get to know all of them as well as you did during the show during the movie, so the uninitiated miss out on a lot of stuff that happens during the movie
In particular, the Mal-Inara situation

toms
10-10-2005, 01:07 PM
I think its probably impossible for any sf movie to create the feel that the original star wars had. Being about the first such movie it was able to capture the imagination with a fairly simple story... which left lots of room for a unique, epic feeling backdrop to be established.
Now that we are all used to sci-fi universes (stargate, chronicles of riddick, etc..) they have to try hard to come up with complex plots and settings to try and stand out... which means they can't have the simple, epic plots that SW had.
Thats why SW is still dear in my heart, and its probably impossible for any new sci-fi film to replace it. Serenity does a better job than any of the new SW films though.

ET Warrior
10-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Fair enough, I am not quite old enough to have seen Star Wars in theaters, so the revolutionaryness of it doesn't hold the same impact for me :)

jokemaster
10-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I think the best thing about this movie is Wash's death. Your emotions go from laughing, to shock, to sadness in three seconds

Mike Windu
10-10-2005, 08:24 PM
SW lacks any sort of specialness to me. While watching the OT I didn't feel the evilness of the empire, I never feared Vader nor felt any sort of menacing presence...

Course, I had known the entire story for years before actually watching the movies, so that may be why... :p

Serenity surprised me just as it did LotR because I had no idea about the universe of both. :D

Datheus
10-11-2005, 01:57 AM
The difference between Star Wars and Serenity is this: Star Wars is your absolutely GENERIC fable--it was merely updated to have a futuristic feel, but beyond that, it is the oldest story around. Serenity tells it how it is. Nothing is constant. Everything is falling apart. I almost wish more protagonists died for that reason.

Did anyone else get the impression that Book used to be an Operative? I did. Then again, I've never seen the telelvision series.

CapNColostomy
10-11-2005, 02:25 AM
I never feared Vader nor felt any sort of menacing presence...

Something's really wrong with you. Really.

ET Warrior
10-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Did anyone else get the impression that Book used to be an Operative? I did. Then again, I've never seen the telelvision series.That's actually the theory that me and my roommates have been tossing around since we saw this movie. It particularly makes a LOT of things in the series come together about Book...

Lightsaberboy
10-11-2005, 06:04 AM
yea, it would also make sense since he knows a lot of inside stuff with the aliiance. plus, at the end of the movie with the operative might've been what happened to book when something similar happened to him. he lost his faith in the alliance and had to find a new one.

btw did anyone catch the blue sun reference in the movie? i was hoping they'd show it more, but they only showed the logo once on a bottle jayne was drinking out of while Mal did his "i aim to misbehave" speech.

toms
10-11-2005, 08:12 AM
No, but I hope BlueSunTshirts atarts making Jayne's t-shirt from the movie...

Mike Windu
10-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Something's really wrong with you. Really.

What? :p

It's not my fault you all ruined the OT for me! :p

I actually like ANH cause I saw that before I knew the story. I fell asleep during ESB. :indif: I started feeling sleepy during the middle of Hoth and finally went to sleep during Luke's training. Woke up as it ended though.

Damned bed. It's too comfy for its own good. >_>

Feanaro
10-11-2005, 12:46 PM
So i just scrolled past everything just to say, today I finally get to see Serenity! I'm way excited, and i'll probably want to see it again instead of going to my hockey game.

ET Warrior
10-11-2005, 01:25 PM
I demand a full report when you return from your hockey game letting me know what you thought of it.

Prime
10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Some thoughts after seeing the film this weekend. Note that this perspective comes from someone who hasn't seen the series.

The Good:
It certainly was an entertaining movie with some nice dialog and funny moments. Most of the characters were immediately likable and and even the main villian was different enough in that he wasn't just an evil kill-for-the-sake-of-killing kind of character. He was quite refreshing. The film had sort of a Cowboy Bebop feel which I identified with and that drew me in a little bit more I think. I can see why the series might have been popular with its fanbase. There is a lot of potential in that universe. The visuals were quite good considering the relatively low budget. The used-universe feel was a nice reminder of the feel the original SW brought.

The Bad:
Ultimately, while watching this film I felt like I was watching an episode of a TV show and so felt there was a lot I had missed. No doubt this was to some extent done on purpose. The problem with doing it this way is that many people who will see the film won't fully "get it." I found I didn't have much of an emotional connection with some of the fringe characters and so when certain things happened to them I was sort of "meh." Obviously viewers who are fans of the series would feel more of an impact. On some level I think this was a mistake in that when you are basing something on a "failed" TV show, you have to expect that the majority of the audience isn't familiar with your universe.

Perhaps because of the previous point, I found the plot to be a little weak and not really fleshed out. For example, why was the Alliance or whatever really after the psychic girl? It isn't because she is uber at kung fu because that isn't a threat to them. OK, so she may have gotten the inside info from the higher-ups, but that became irrelevant because they found the info anyway on that planet. Her being hunted didn't really have anything to do with the outcome of the film after it was played up in the beginning as the central plot thread.

While I understand that comedy, especially in the dialog, is a big part of the film, I found that there was a few places where it was over the top and detracted from the immersion. At those times it felt like the film was a flat out comedy and not a serious story with humourous elements. For the most part the writing had a good balance of humour in the right places and seriousness in other parts. I think those over the top moments are a bit of disservice to the rest of the film.

In the end, I think Serenity is hampered by not having enough time to spend on the characters or focus on the plot. Again, it seemed more like an episode where everyone is expected to know the characters and the plot just continues on from previous episodes. This may in fact be the case, but that leaves new viewers out in the cold to some extent.

Overall:
While the film is very good and enjoyable I don't think it is nearly as good as some have claimed, or that it is the best sci-fi film ever. I don't think that is entirely its own fault, as there just isn't enough information in the film about the characters and plot to make it stand up to that level on its own. It felt like there was too much story that presumably is a part of the series. But it is an interesting universe and hopefully we can see more of it, but I think this will end up in the cult classic category.

oh, and the word out is that serenity placed #1 in the uk this weekend.good news indeed.Which is good, since it has pretty much tanked in the NA box office. The question now is that once UK Firefly fans have seen the film this past weekend, will there be anyone left for the following weeks, or will it suffer the same fate as it did in NA?

ET Warrior
10-11-2005, 04:43 PM
As far as the reason the Alliance wanted her back, there are several reasons, most of which seemed clear in the movie, if it weren't for River, they never would have GONE to Miranda, and found out the secret. That was undoubtedly the most important reason, though she was also a psychic ass-kicking machine, so I imagine alliance military had a few important uses planned for her.

RoxStar
10-11-2005, 06:03 PM
As far as the reason the Alliance wanted her back, there are several reasons, most of which seemed clear in the movie, if it weren't for River, they never would have GONE to Miranda, and found out the secret. That was undoubtedly the most important reason, though she was also a psychic ass-kicking machine, so I imagine alliance military had a few important uses planned for her.

I thought that they were more afriad that the crew would find out about miranda then they would be if the crew found out about the weapon?

ET Warrior
10-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Well certainly their main concern was keeping Miranda under wraps.

Tyrion
10-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I thought that since River was a prodigy, the Alliance tried desperately to recapture their prize, as in doing so they would've hit Miranda from the universe anyway. As the operative said, one of the key disadvantages for the Alliance was that they became prideful.

jokemaster
10-11-2005, 07:20 PM
The Book is an operative theory is a favorite among me and my friends too.

Prime
10-11-2005, 10:47 PM
As far as the reason the Alliance wanted her back, there are several reasons, most of which seemed clear in the movie, if it weren't for River, they never would have GONE to Miranda, and found out the secret. Fair enough, but why go through all the effort to track her down as if she is the prize when really they just didn't want the truth to get out. Since the truth really had nothing to do with her and everything to do with the information on the planet, why didn't the Alliance just eliminate the data at the source? Did they not know it was there? Was there some other reason they didn't destroy it? If this secret was so devestating to their power, why leave it around since they obviously had the power to destroy it?

That was undoubtedly the most important reason, though she was also a psychic ass-kicking machine, so I imagine alliance military had a few important uses planned for her.Which was another potential plot thread that wasn't really fleshed out.

ET Warrior
10-11-2005, 11:02 PM
The planet was surrounded by Reavers, and even the toughest of the tough is afraid of Reavers.

And they certainly couldn't have fleshed out EVERYthing, there has to be some room to possibly tell more stories, and there is of course a limit on how much time you have.

toms
10-12-2005, 07:22 AM
While the film is very good and enjoyable I don't think it is nearly as good as some have claimed, or that it is the best sci-fi film ever. I don't think that is entirely its own fault, as there just isn't enough information in the film about the characters and plot to make it stand up to that level on its own. It felt like there was too much story that presumably is a part of the series. But it is an interesting universe and hopefully we can see more of it, but I think this will end up in the cult classic category.

I'd agree with this in part. I'm surprised they went with such an "ending to the series" approach, rather than a "retelling of the series" approach that some other tv-to-film projects have taken.
I do think that whether this becomes a classic or just a cult will depend on whether we get sequels. As they created 8 or so maim characters, each with their own back-plots, secrets, motivations and attachments they certainly should have enough background material to make another couple of movies.. and that will definately help to flesh out the characters and the world a bit better.

I thought they did an excellent job of introducing so many characters in such a short time, but maybe i had an advantage as i've seen the series and can't know what it would be like if i hadn't.
Really they just took one plot element (the River one) and focused on that, but even that has much more to it.

Of friends I know who've watched it, but not the series. One said it was "interesting but weird" and one said "it was like a long tv show episode" and two hated it. So I'm not sure it has a wide ranging appeal outside a core audience.

Prime
10-12-2005, 10:53 AM
The planet was surrounded by Reavers, and even the toughest of the tough is afraid of Reavers.But the assassin made it in and then a whole bunch of Allaince troops showed up at the end, so obviously it wasn't too difficult, especailly if what was hidden there was so important.

I'm not trying to pick apart the movie, I was just trying to point out that there were parts that I and others I went with thought were a bit sloppy and weren't explained very well. The main one being that the importance of the psychic chick was sort dropped and didn't make complete sense when all the events played out.

And they certainly couldn't have fleshed out EVERYthing, there has to be some room to possibly tell more stories, and there is of course a limit on how much time you have.Which was my original point. There was so much to accomplish since a lot of people weren't familiar withthe series, and so in trying to cover as much as possible a lot of things weren't covered very well. That hurt the film IMO.

But again, I did like it and I'm not trying to nit-pick it to death. I was just pointing out why I didn't think it was as good as a standalone film as some people did around here.

I'd agree with this in part. I'm surprised they went with such an "ending to the series" approach, rather than a "retelling of the series" approach that some other tv-to-film projects have taken.I think to some degree that was a mistake, if in fact the goal is in part to attract a new audience to help further the series. It is a little harder to draw in new fans if you are telling the story assuming that everyone knows what happened in the series. Because the cast is so large (even though they are good), it is hard to get as attached to individual characters when there isn't much time devoted to any of them. Thus there is less interest in finding out what heppens to them in potential sequels.

But if it is only ment to be an end to the series for the original fans, then it likely fills that roll to a T. But that doesn't really increase the fan base any.

I thought they did an excellent job of introducing so many characters in such a short time, but maybe i had an advantage as i've seen the series and can't know what it would be like if i hadn't.Considering how many characters there were, they did about as good a job as they could. But I think it would be a huge advantage to have seen the original series.

Really they just took one plot element (the River one) and focused on that, but even that has much more to it. Which it why we found it surprising that in the end she didn't really matter. Since the ultimate problem for the Allaince was the discovery of Miranda and the information on it and it was shown that they could get to it and ultimately destroy it without requiring River. That point seemed to reduce her to a kung fu wizard which didn't seem to be that big a deal anyway.

Feanaro
10-12-2005, 12:49 PM
okay, i saw it, and I liked it. It's a lot to take in, in two hours. I'm gonna have to digest it and watch it again. But overall it was awesome, and the scene with serenity entering atmo was amazing and so intense. Plus I had a hard time focusing on the movie because I had to pee sooooo bad. Since I was playing hockey that night I had to stay hydrated, thus more peeing. But I made it through the movie, and my bladder felt the pain for that action. I want to see it again NOW!

toms
10-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Which it why we found it surprising that in the end she didn't really matter. Since the ultimate problem for the Allaince was the discovery of Miranda and the information on it and it was shown that they could get to it and ultimately destroy it without requiring River. That point seemed to reduce her to a kung fu wizard which didn't seem to be that big a deal anyway.

But that wasn't really the problem. There were 2 problems the alliance had with her really:

1-She was a secret reseach project, so they wouldn't want knowledge of her existance to get out, or to loose the product of allt heir hard work.
2-She knew a lot of secrets that they didn't want to get out.

With regard to point one it wasn't just that she was a "kung fu expert", it was also that she was a psychic and could forsee the future and read people's minds. (plus it kinda implied she could influence jayne's mind). All that adds up to a pretty useful girl. (kinda like a prototype jedi without a lightsaber, in a universe with no other jedi). You just have to use your imagination to think of all the uses they could have made of her... plus as the best prototype she was the key to making many more like her.

With regard to point 2 the operative (who i thought was a great villain btw) didn't even know what secrets she knew. No one did. For all they knew she didn't even know ANY secrets. But they couldn't take the risk. Its possible that Miranda was the least of all things she knew. Its also possibel that if they hadn't triggered her to find her then she would never have remembered about miranda at all... ;-)

The only "logic" problem I had was that surely if they could talk to Mr Universe by wave, then they could have sent him the recording, and had him broadcast it... rather than going to all that hassle to get it there in person. A simple comment about transmissions being jammed would have plugged that gap.

They could concievably have more films based on secrets that she knows, in particular i'd expect that she knows something about the end of the war that would be important.

RoxStar
10-12-2005, 01:47 PM
The only "logic" problem I had was that surely if they could talk to Mr Universe by wave, then they could have sent him the recording, and had him broadcast it... rather than going to all that hassle to get it there in person. A simple comment about transmissions being jammed would have plugged that gap.

I thought that they were also looking for a safe haven?

Prime
10-12-2005, 02:01 PM
1-She was a secret reseach project, so they wouldn't want knowledge of her existance to get out, or to loose the product of allt heir hard work.But they did want to destroy her. The assassin had to order the troops to stand down because they had orders to kill her. That only makes sense if they are trying to silence her because of what she knows.

2-She knew a lot of secrets that they didn't want to get out.Most likely, but we don't know because they aren't a part of the plot.

With regard to point one it wasn't just that she was a "kung fu expert", it was also that she was a psychic and could forsee the future and read people's minds. (plus it kinda implied she could influence jayne's mind). All that adds up to a pretty useful girl. (kinda like a prototype jedi without a lightsaber, in a universe with no other jedi). But again, they were trying to kill her, so she couldn't have been that valuable. But whatever her powers are, there is no real connection plotwise between her and the Alliance wanting to hide certain unpleasantries. That's my only point, that for the first half the movie the plot revolves around River and what she is and what she knows, and that the Alliance is after her. But in the end they don't need her to solve their plot problem (word getting out about the Reevers) because they are shown to have the ability to deal with it themselves anyway. What I mean is River's importance is rendered unnecessary plotwise because of events at the end of the movie.

You just have to use your imagination to think of all the uses they could have made of her... Of course we could come up with all kinds of things. But shouldn't that be explained as part of the plot (if they hadn't been trying to kill her that is)? We are led to believe that they need to get her back/terminate her because she read the minds of high ranking Alliance officials and gleaned secret information. The only secret information of importance the story gives us is about the Reevers.

With regard to point 2 the operative (who i thought was a great villain btw) didn't even know what secrets she knew. No one did. Well, the higher-ups did, as they were the ones directing him.

For all they knew she didn't even know ANY secrets. But they couldn't take the risk. Its possible that Miranda was the least of all things she knew. Maybe, but the Reever secret is the only secret that matters in terms of the plot.

Its also possibel that if they hadn't triggered her to find her then she would never have remembered about miranda at all... ;-)Then why did they trigger her if there was the potential to remember things they wanted her to forget? Did they not know?

The only "logic" problem I had was that surely if they could talk to Mr Universe by wave, then they could have sent him the recording, and had him broadcast it... rather than going to all that hassle to get it there in person. A simple comment about transmissions being jammed would have plugged that gap.Indeed.

ET Warrior
10-12-2005, 03:17 PM
I think you're confused about what planet the movie ended on Prime. Neither the Operative nor the alliance troops were on Miranda, they were on Mr. Universe's planet. It was explicitly stated that even the alliance doesn't venture out into Reaver territory, which was fine by them, because the reavers hid their nasty little secret quite well, until they found out that River might know their secret, and needed to be silenced.

She is allowed to live at the end because the Operative realizes that there is no longer any point, the damage has been done, and the secret is out.

And them wanting to kill her doesn't make her not-valuable, it merely means that she is less important than keeping that information secret, even if it means destroying her.

Prime
10-12-2005, 03:58 PM
I think you're confused about what planet the movie ended on Prime. Ah ****, you are right. My mistake, sorry. :chop1:

She is allowed to live at the end because the Operative realizes that there is no longer any point, the damage has been done, and the secret is out. That part was clear.

And them wanting to kill her doesn't make her not-valuable, it merely means that she is less important than keeping that information secret, even if it means destroying her.Sure, since her value was not why they were after her.

ET Warrior
10-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I suppose your points are rather valid, and I would understand your side better had I not been a faithful Firefly follower beforehand, since I am well aware that the Alliance had several people who were certainly trying very hard to capture River alive.

The operative's job was, of course, to kill River. I suppose the Alliance had mayhaps given up on catching her, and new the threat she posed needed to be ended.

Prime
10-12-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm going to try and scrounge up the series episodes, so I'll see how I feel after that. :)

But regardless, I still really enjoyed the film...

Lightsaberboy
10-12-2005, 05:21 PM
the thing i dont understand is that in the series, they're not looking to kill river. the blue hand people search for her to get her alive, same with the alliance and jubal. then in the series they want to kill her?

jokemaster
10-12-2005, 07:31 PM
WARNING SPOILERS IN LINK:

serenity in 200 words or less (http://www.swartzer.com/writing/serenity2000.php)

ET Warrior
10-12-2005, 09:24 PM
the thing i dont understand is that in the series, they're not looking to kill river. the blue hand people search for her to get her alive, same with the alliance and jubal. then in the series they want to kill her?
My best guess would be that they always wanted River back for the secrets she holds in her head, and because they invested a lot of money to make her a badass kung-fu pyshcic death machine

In Ariel the hands of blue even killed all of the alliance soldiers for talking to her, which didn't make much sense until now, but I suppose they figure they may get some of the secret if she talks

After so much time and so many failed attempts they decide that they need to send an operative with the single mission of killing her.

toms
10-13-2005, 07:00 AM
But the operative WASN'T trying to kill her. Nor were the troops at the end. Thats why the operative kept trying to force Mal to hand her over, and why those troops with the machine guns pointed at her were telling her to put down the weapon and surrender.

It was clear she wasn't about to surrender, and a fight would ensue... but because the operative's belief (key plot point for him and mal) ad been shaken he no longer wanted to follow the alliance's wishes.

It was made pretty clear at the end that the alliance would almost certainly STILL want to get hold of river, both for her abilities,and for any more secrets she might know. And that the operative was basically signing his own death warrant by helping them and letting them go.

I've read a few reviews that thought the "big secret" was a bit underwhelming. I guess i can see why it might be to some people.

But personally I thought the scene where they pulled back to an empty city was one of the best in the film. And killing a whole planet of 30 million plus creating the most feared creatures in the galaxy seems at least fairly big to me.
I can't really see what could have been bigger. Though of course if they had had more of a budget then they could have probably showed it with more of an impact, on a grander scale.

Part of the reason I thought it felt more like the END of a trilogy was that they didn't really have time in one film to build the reavers up as as terrifying as they should be. In the series they were always spoken of in hushed tones, and everyone always legged it when they turned up. If they had had two films where the reavers were an ever-present menace first...

8 months to clean up an entire planet (while having to fight off reavers and without any word leaking out) seems pretty unlikely, even if they had known that was what she knew.
It is of course possible that many people in the alliance wouldn't know about other people in the alliance's dirty secrets... Think of the political scandals on earth, often they are known to only a few people... but if you told all the politicians in the US that someone might know all their dirty little secrets they'd all be pretty keen to stop the secrets coming out.. mostly their own, but even the ones they didn't know about.

I thought that they were also looking for a safe haven?
That doesn't make sense. Miranda WAS a safe haven. Fighting through 2 armies to get to a "safe haven " that you suspect the enemy already knows about is a bit daft. But since Mal made his "i aim to misbehave - you may all die" speech we know this wasn't the case.

Most likely, but we don't know because they aren't a part of the plot.
No, but their existance is implied in the plot. Movies shouldn't have to spell out every detail. Heck, one of the things I loved best about star wars was that it kept mentioning things like "the clone wars", "the old republic", "the emperor" etc... but then didn't explain any of it.. that allowed your imagination to fill in the gaps. (and as the prequels have shown, often your imagination works a lot better than the details they DO come up with).
They don't spell out the battle of serenity, or Book's past either, but I like films that drop in intriguing mentions... its a god way to make the setting seem larger, without filling the film with overlong explanations.

toms
10-13-2005, 07:09 AM
WARNING SPOILERS IN LINK:

serenity in 200 words or less (http://www.swartzer.com/writing/serenity2000.php)

WARNING - may be some spoilers, but not really (except the one in the tag):

------------------------
Independents = South
Alliance = (north) US Cavalry
Reavers = Indians
(were peaceful, but turned into savages by actions of US cavalry).
Operative - Believes in Alliance's end. Justifies the means.
Mal - Believes in nothing.
River - Prototype weapon and potential Deep Throat

Alliance's attempts to silence Deep Throat cause the secret to be revealed. The secret causes The Operative to loose belief and Mal to gain some.

The End.
------------------------
65 Words. :p

Prime
10-13-2005, 11:48 AM
But the operative WASN'T trying to kill her. Nor were the troops at the end. But there were x number of troops and they zoomed in to show that they were ready to pull the trigger. Why would they do this if at that point they didn't intend to kill her?

ET Warrior
10-13-2005, 12:27 PM
But the operative WASN'T trying to kill her. Nor were the troops at the end. Thats why the operative kept trying to force Mal to hand her over, and why those troops with the machine guns pointed at her were telling her to put down the weapon and surrender.I believe he was trying to kill her. The Operative wanted Mal to hand her over so he could kill her. Inara even says on Serenity that he truly believes that killing River is the right thing to do. And the troops at the end weren't necessarily calling for a surrender, they told everyone to drop their weapons, and then asked the Operative if they had the kill order.

toms
10-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Hmmm. Maybe you are right. Risk of attempting capture vs Reward of getting her back. I suppose they might well decide that any secrets she might divulge wouldn't be worth risk of trying to get her back alive.
And I guess that the operative had already killed the doctor to cover things up, though the project might still carry on without him.
Its up for interpretation I guess (nothing wrong with that).

I personally suspect he was under orders to "try to bring her back alive, but kill her if he had to". And once it became clear that a secret had been revealed and they were about to beam it to the universe it obviously became necessary to go for the kill option.

jokemaster
10-13-2005, 01:12 PM
The soldiers were ready to pull the trigger because she apparently just slaughtered a room full of Reavers and she didn't want to drop her weapons.

Feanaro
10-13-2005, 04:55 PM
The soldiers were ready to pull the trigger because she apparently just slaughtered a room full of Reavers and she didn't want to drop her weapons.
If I was one of those soldiers, I would have high-fived her.

ET Warrior
10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
If I was one of those soldiers I would have run away like a little girl.

toms
10-14-2005, 09:47 AM
where did i put my "/\ i'm with stupid /\" pic? :p

Lightsaberboy
11-02-2005, 12:44 AM
dvd cover has been revealed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/lightsaberboy/serenityr1artworkpic2.jpg

so i guess the stuff about it being released dec 20th might be true..

CapNColostomy
11-02-2005, 12:47 AM
dvd cover has been revealed:

http://dvdanswers.com/images/screenshots/serenityr1artworkpic2.jpg

http://dvdanswers.com/images/screenshots/serenityr1menupic1.jpg
http://www.dvdanswers.com/images/screenshots/serenityr1menupic7.jpg
http://www.dvdanswers.com/images/screenshots/serenityr1menupic8.jpg
http://www.dvdanswers.com/images/screenshots/serenityr1menupic9.jpg

so i guess the stuff about it being released dec 20th might be true..

Ummm...Rodians?

Lightsaberboy
11-02-2005, 12:50 AM
the menu screen does look like a tenlosss scope...lol.

Mike Windu
11-02-2005, 01:09 AM
He means we can't see it, dolt. :p

Definitely rodians. *high fives CapN*

Lightsaberboy
11-02-2005, 01:10 AM
you cant see the pics? that's weird. i see em just fine. i dunno what clearing the cache would do if im just doing an img tag on the pics from the site... ah well ill clear it anyways..

well if you cant see em, just go to this link
http://dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=8055&n=1&burl=

Mike Windu
11-02-2005, 01:11 AM
It's probably because they're cached? >>

I might be wrong on this. Clear your cache though.

Samuel Dravis
11-02-2005, 01:22 AM
I saw this a couple weeks ago. It was good. It wan't just another blow-them-up-and-set-the-universe-on-fire-oh-look-i'vegotasword-type movie. Well... Ok, so it was. But there was an actual point to it, which made it different (and far better) than most movies.

I don't know what's up nowadays. First Corpse Bride, Serenity, Wallace and Gromit? All good. It's strange. Most strange.

Lightsaberboy
11-02-2005, 04:46 AM
can you guys see the pics now??

if not, just go to the link i put above.

toms
11-02-2005, 07:50 AM
dvdanswers don't allow hotlinking to their images from other sites, so you'll have to follow the link to the article to see the images (and then press refresh if you have cached the "image exclusive to dvdanswers" images already).

Looks ok but a bit b-movie. Not sure what that army is doing in it, or who that girl called Serenity is in the top right, I don't remember seeing her in the movie... ;)

Am I the only one thinking this is ripe for an extended cut? A quick look through that list of deleted scenes include an extended intro, ending, and loads of extra character stuff (mainly between Mal and Inara).

I know a lot of the "casual fans" who saw the movie but not the series probably wouldn't appreciate all that extra stuff, but considering that Firefly pretty much found a new least of life on DVD and that hardcore online geek fans are the ones who like extra extended background details (as in LOTR) I'm kind of expecting an extended cut with more references to the series and maybe even packaging that complements the series.

It'd be cool to know if that was in the pipline before adding this version to my Xmas list. :)

El Sitherino
11-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Cover looks like ****.

Tyrion
11-02-2005, 07:21 PM
The cover sucks so much that I don't think it's the official one. River looks like she was hand-drawn or something.

Wouldn't they just have the Serenity symbol for the dvd cover?

acdcfanbill
11-02-2005, 08:52 PM
the firefly packaging was great, hopefully someone will tweak this prior to it being released...

Feanaro
11-02-2005, 09:18 PM
The cover sucks so much that I don't think it's the official one. River looks like she was hand-drawn or something.

Wouldn't they just have the Serenity symbol for the dvd cover?
Yeah, but she does look pretty good. :)

Lightsaberboy
11-02-2005, 10:38 PM
River's pic was taken from the international movie poster, it looks like.

http://www.thescifiblog.com/stills/newserenityposter.jpg

Tyrion
11-02-2005, 10:41 PM
River's pic was taken from the international movie poster, it looks like.

Arms are in different positions, but yeah I guess I could see River looking like that in the DVD now.

I still think the cover sucks, though.

Lightsaberboy
11-02-2005, 11:02 PM
yea, it's ok. hopefully if they have a special edition dvd, the cover will be better. I like the way they put the title in front of the planet like that, but the rest is meh. there should also have been a bigger shot of Serenity, ya know, the ship.... >_>

ET Warrior
11-02-2005, 11:26 PM
I think it looks badass. But...whatever, why does it matter? I think the important thing is what comes INSIDE the case.

El Sitherino
11-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Because good presentation will attract other people that haven't seen it. As it is, it looks like some cheesy low budget sci-fi channel coke creation.

I say lay it out like the series dvd's.

toms
11-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Yeah, but she does look pretty good. :)

But she doesn't look like anyone that was in the movie. Except maybe Irana

It doesn't show a lot of confidence by the distributors that all the posters make it look like an Underworld/Resident Evil flick about a girl called Serenity who does matrix style martial arts.
Now the dvd makes it look like it has LOTR style massive battles asm well.

Some people are gonna be kinda confused when they see it.

The firefly DVD case wasn't spectacular, but it seemed a bit more classy and at least reflected what was in the box:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AQS0F.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Personally I think a plain, weathered style one with the serenity logo on it would be more interesting visually.

http://www.jasongriffey.net/images/serenity_logo.jpg

or maybe this version:
http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/7088/serenitycoverllama7ye.jpg

Lightsaberboy
12-23-2005, 01:51 AM
ok, so i got my copies of the dvd on tues. here's my thoughts on the dvd....

the movie is excellent, but then again we already know that, so there's no need to go into that stuff.
the cover is alright. i like the center with the "serenity" over the planet but other than that the other stuff seems out of place, like that whole army of reavers onthe bottom and river's pose on the top.
the bonus features are great, although limited. there's joss's introduction that he gave during the special screenings that were played in the summer, which is truly an inspiring speech and shows how much he really loves his story. The other featurettes are cool as well. The deleted scenes are nice. There's a bunch of mal and inara scenes that tehy cut out that we finally get to see, as well as a bunch of scenes with some great jokes. also a scene that explained more about inara's backstory and what exactly a companion was. it would've been nice for them to keep it in, but in the end it made sense to leave them out.
the gag reel is hilarious. 6 minutes of nonstop bloopers. i was bursting out laughing at a lot of points cause they mess up, but they keep adlibbing their lines while staying in character at the same time.
joss's commentary was very informative and provided lots of insight to the movie. i always liked listening to his commentaries cause they were informative and humorous at the same time.

overall i give the dvd a 4/5. i docked it off a point cause of the dvd cover and there werent that many bonus features. hopefully if this sells well they'll release a special edition dvd with loads more stuff and maybe a cast commentary as well.

oh and if no one found it yet, there's an easter egg on the main menu. when it starts up, press left and it'll go to a small red circle on the right side. click that and it'll do a small featurrette on teh fruity oaty bar commercial, then play the whole thing. it's reallyfunny and bizzare and reminds me of those weird japanese commercials. i got the song stuck in my head now.

TiE23
12-23-2005, 03:03 AM
the gag reel is hilarious. 6 minutes of nonstop bloopers. i was bursting out laughing at a lot of points cause they mess up, but they keep adlibbing their lines while staying in character at the same time.
"Look, I need you to pile up the bodies and string 5 or 6 of them on the nose of our ship, and make sure you put Book in the center, he's our friend, we should honor him... Kaylee, go find that kid who's taking a dirt nap with baby Jesus, we need a hood ornament!.... And Jayne, stop trying to steal their ****!"
Funniest. "Blooper." Ever.

toms
01-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Got the BBC Film of the Year award from their film2005 viewers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/film2005/filmofyear_2005.shtml

so :p to the other people from work who thought it sucked... ;)

i'm still holding out for the inevitable director's cut dvd though!

Lightsaberboy
01-08-2006, 12:09 AM
joss said that there will be no director's cut already since he was given full control over this movie, so he says the movie we saw was his director's cut.

a special edition dvd tho, with extra commentaries and features might stll be possible tho.

ET Warrior
01-08-2006, 01:04 AM
I know I'd shell out another 20 bucks to get my hands on some more features

toms
01-08-2006, 07:28 AM
With every film under the sun getting extended cuts, with fans hating the cover, with firefly doing so well on dvd and with hardcore fans like us always being willing to shell out more for special editions/extended cuts/director's cuts I can't believe the studio won't release some sort of extended cut/special edition... even if they don't call it a director's cut.
I'd like to see them add back in some inara stuff.
*sits and waits for extended cuts of serenity, sin city and hellboy* (in the uk)

Darth Groovy
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I finally got around to renting this movie just a few days ago, and I am sorry to say, I don't see that the big deal is about it. Am I missing something?

Reclaimer
01-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I thought Firefly had good potential, it was very good.

By the way...for those who didn't know, it comes on at 6pm Central (7pm Pacific) on Sci-Fi, right before Stargate SG-1 (Which is the best show evar btw...)

ET Warrior
01-09-2006, 07:06 PM
I finally got around to renting this movie just a few days ago, and I am sorry to say, I don't see that the big deal is about it. Am I missing something?You're probably missing the background of being a fan of the TV show. Seriously, it adds so much more depth and meaning it's ridiculous.

toms
01-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Online film critics awards nominations, see bottom category:
http://www.moviecitynews.com/awards/2006/cirtics_awards/ofcs.html
:D

I can't decide whether to wait for the uk release:
http://images.play.com/covers/860442m.jpg
which has few details so far, or order it a month in advance from autrailia with 2 discs, extra features (over the US and maybe UK) and a choice of two cool cases (but pay a small amount more once you include shipping):

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/g/i/p/784707.jpg
or
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/jbhifi/productimage//ovr_lrg/77/809477.jpg

which one do you guys reckon i should go for??

Feanaro
01-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Get all 3.

ET Warrior
01-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Get all 3.I like where your head's at. ^_^

Though if you only want one toms, I'd go with the third one. It looks the best, and if it potentially has more features, well I'd be totally sold on it.

Prime
01-10-2006, 04:45 PM
I finally got around to renting this movie just a few days ago, and I am sorry to say, I don't see that the big deal is about it. Am I missing something?What didn't you like?

Darth Groovy
01-11-2006, 02:22 PM
What didn't you like?

It's lack of focus. It assumes that everyone already knows everything about the Firefly TV show already. I know there was a story in there somewhere, but it was sure hard to spot the first time through. It's not the worst thing I have seen, but I think it's a bit overated in the Swamp here. :giveup:

Lightsaberboy
01-11-2006, 03:15 PM
it told everyone what the story was in the first 10 minutes before the title appears. that's enough explanation to get non-viewers up to speed.

El Sitherino
01-11-2006, 03:36 PM
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/jbhifi/productimage//ovr_lrg/77/809477.jpg

Definitely the case to get, the others suck. I hate that crappy cover on the DVD release here.

Darth Groovy
01-11-2006, 04:01 PM
it told everyone what the story was in the first 10 minutes before the title appears. that's enough explanation to get non-viewers up to speed.

That's probably why I just didn't get into it. Never assume things about your audience. This movie was made strictly for the fans, and nothing more.

toms
01-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm not unfond of the tin one either... thats the same poster as they had in the uk and it isn't too bad... except it doesn't actually show serenity...

As for the film, what a lot of people disliked about it was the way it mixed comedy and drama/action in the same film... but then again, thats what a lot of people liked about it.

Lightsaberboy
01-11-2006, 04:07 PM
That's probably why I just didn't get into it. Never assume things about your audience. This movie was made strictly for the fans, and nothing more.

i wouldnt say it's just for fans. i know plenty of people who didnt know anything about firefly and watched Serenity and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reclaimer
01-11-2006, 04:40 PM

*Hides fanboy-ism*

Don't say that, alot of "Non" fans went to it, and liked it too.

acdcfanbill
01-12-2006, 12:52 PM
i dunno i saw it in the theatre w/o any knowledge of a tv show and thought it was great. in fact it was one of the few movies i saw in the theatre twice :) since then, it's caused me to aquire and then buy the Firefly set and the movie itself :p perhaps im the exception and not the rule.

Writer
01-13-2006, 11:36 AM
I'd heard of the TV show before seeing the movie, but it wasn't until after I saw the movie that I found and watched Firefly... and it was because of the movie I wanted to :)

Samuel Dravis
01-13-2006, 08:57 PM
i dunno i saw it in the theatre w/o any knowledge of a tv show and thought it was great. in fact it was one of the few movies i saw in the theatre twice :) since then, it's caused me to aquire and then buy the Firefly set and the movie itself :p perhaps im the exception and not the rule.You're not the exception. I liked it just from the movie - and I still haven't watched any of the series. :)

Darth Groovy
04-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I have to say that I got hooked on the series, and the movie makes a hell of alot more sense once you see that. However, if they HAD made the movie for a perspective new audience, it would have been refreshing to see Serenity branch off into a movie series.

Pitty, i'm really hooked on Firefly right now! :(

Mike Windu
04-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Gasp! Thread has come baack!

Anyway, the movie made great sense to me, even though I'd never seen Firefly.

If I still bought dvds, I would buy firefly and serenity... :)

Lightsaberboy
04-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Hah! You can't take the sky from this thread!

ET Warrior
04-27-2006, 09:57 PM
It will rise again!

Darth Groovy
04-27-2006, 09:59 PM
"Have no place
I can be
Since I found Serenity.
But you can’t take the sky from me." :D

Damn song has been stuck in my head all week...:eek:

toms
04-28-2006, 06:26 AM
Just watched season 4 of angel on DVD and it made me miss serenity. :(
Not that angel was bad at all (though it did get a bit too soapy for me in the middle) but i'm kinda needing a sci-fi fix right now.

Anyone else notice how Mal is essentially exactly the same character as Angel? (except for the vampire bit obviously.) You could pretty much swap the characters or actors without causing much commotion. Which would be fun.

Lightsaberboy
04-28-2006, 06:29 AM
Joss is a one-trick pony with a bunch of his characters but it's cool, cause we still love him!

toms
04-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Wonder if Wonder Woman will be buffy? They had Charisma Carpenter as the stong favorite for the role a while back... but i heard Kate Beckinsale was the new frontrunner. She seems a bit, erm, skinny and underendowed to be wonderwoman to me tho...

PS/ And of course Zoe was also be big-bad-evil from season 4 of Angel... so good ole joss not only has his small cast of characters, but also his small cast of actors.
PPS/ Come to think of it... reasonable similarities between the crew of the merc ship from Alien Resurection and the crew of the Serenity...

Lightsaberboy
04-28-2006, 04:29 PM
makes sense since he wrote the screenplay to Alien resurrection. same goes for Titan AE.

Darth Groovy
05-01-2006, 12:52 PM
I finally finished the Firefly box set, and then watched Serenity again. The whole thing is more powerful if you watch it in that order. Sucks that we won't see anything else. Or will we? Crappier movies have spawned sequals no?

BTW, Kaylee is just too adorable. :3heart:

Kryllith
05-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Btw, there's a world wide event going on to get a re-release of Serenity in select theatres on June 23, to commemorate the sneak previews from 2005 and in celebration of Joss's birthday. The showings will be paid for by local Browncoats, who will use the event as a means for earning money to donate to Joss's favorite charity, Equality Now. You can find out more about it a cantstoptheserenity.com.

Darth Groovy
05-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Btw, there's a world wide event going on to get a re-release of Serenity in select theatres on June 23, to commemorate the sneak previews from 2005 and in celebration of Joss's birthday. The showings will be paid for by local Browncoats, who will use the event as a means for earning money to donate to Joss's favorite charity, Equality Now. You can find out more about it a cantstoptheserenity.com.

Dude that's awsome. I really should have seen this in a theater. I actually meant too, but it really wasn't out very long :/

Lightsaberboy
05-07-2006, 03:34 AM

That was the same date as the Riverside screening last year! I remember cause i also got my pic with Joss taken. Ahh...memories....

RoxStar
06-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I was wondering if anyone else had depression problems with the end of the saga. I loved the movie, but I just finished the television series, and WOW, I'm incredibly sad that I will not share more moments with my crew ;_;. Screw Rupert Murdoch.

MrWally
07-01-2006, 12:55 PM
I know what you mean RoxStar, I know I'm not nearly as attatched to it as you are... but after watching the series, you really get connected to the characters. It really is ashame that Fox canceled the series.

Darth Groovy
07-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Maybe I should sticky this thread, what do you guys think? :evil3:

RoxStar
07-01-2006, 09:53 PM
We seriously need an official stickied computer problems/ parts discussion thread. They pop up every so often, you know.

Once MrWally releases my Serenity DVD , I may have some closure.

MrWally
07-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Hahaha well your Serenity DvD is being held hostage untill I get back my Season 1 of Firefly :P (you'll have it back by monday, if you so desire)

And I agree about a computer parts sticky

Darth Groovy
07-03-2006, 03:20 AM
We seriously need an official stickied computer problems/ parts discussion thread. They pop up every so often, you know.

Once MrWally releases my Serenity DVD , I may have some closure.

Done and done. Go here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=167025

Mike Windu
07-03-2006, 04:01 AM
The funny thing is, I heard that thing where everyone was sposed to go out and buy a Serenity dvd on June 20th to celebrate or something... I bought mine on the 19th unknowingly.. :D

(saw it at Sam's Club for 10 bucks, couldn't resist getting it. :D)

Lightsaberboy
07-03-2006, 04:33 AM
I believe it was June 23th, which was supposed to be Serenity day or something, and is also Joss' b-day. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread.