PDA

View Full Version : European cover art

Lyris
10-05-2005, 04:38 PM
The PAL version of Psychonauts is released across Europe very soon, and boasts some terrifying new cover art.

You can see it right here at my web site: http://www.lyris-lite.net/fu_archives/2005_10.html#000198

Klia
10-05-2005, 05:01 PM
What I don't understand is why they insist on pushing that cover art through when they could use the original.

The original has little things for fans to find.

Purple Squid
10-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Aw, man! It has been blown up with ugly. The green cover is what got me to buy the game...

Klia
10-05-2005, 05:20 PM
At least they have doped up Loboto and the G-men on it.

Seriously Sheegor looks like she's trying not to laugh on it.

Green kicked ass.

Purple Squid
10-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Yeah, well. It would have exploded into a bubbling puddle of icky ugliness without Loboto and the G-Men. What did they do to the brain? It's gone! Raz is Photo-glowing! Those poor, poor Europeans.

counting_pine
10-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Ah Crap, I'm going to need the PAL version for my UK PS2. Perhaps it's time to consider upgrading my graphics card and ordering the PC version from the DoubleFine store.

I hope THQ know what they're doing. And if it helps sales (though I'm not convinced it will), I guess it's a good thing.

Oh well, at least we got the good (http://z-o-g.org/gallery2/ico/ico-scans/ico_uk.jpg.html) Ico cover, instead of the horribly "Americanised" (http://z-o-g.org/gallery2/ico/ico-scans/ico_us.jpg.html) one.

Purple Squid
10-05-2005, 05:36 PM
I hope THQ know what they're doing. And if it helps sales (though I'm not convinced it will), I guess it's a good thing.

Well, it might. Simply by drawing eyes to the horribly bright colors...

counting_pine is an awesome name, by the way.

splitsecond
10-05-2005, 05:39 PM
yellow caught my attention but the original is still better

Klia
10-05-2005, 05:42 PM
yellow caught my attention but the original is still better

Yeah, hopefully the bright colors will draw the eyes, but I think it will turn people away too because people DO judge a book (in this case a video game) by its cover. And if its not visually appealing (and I don't find BRIGHT yellow and purple all that appealing), people usually get turned away.

Now, if they had a few girls on the cover minus some clothes, THEN the new cover would sell.

Smon
10-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah, hopefully the bright colors will draw the eyes, but I think it will turn people away too because people DO judge a book (in this case a video game) by its cover. And if its not visually appealing (and I don't find BRIGHT yellow and purple all that appealing), people usually get turned away.

Now, if they had a few girls on the cover minus some clothes, THEN the new cover would sell.
No, ya just need:

Scantily clad women
Mechs
a catchy name

put this on the box, and the game WILL sell.

Purple Squid
10-05-2005, 05:45 PM
There aren't that many girls in the game, so would they have to stick some super models on the cover? Just standing there while Raz looks ominous?

Smon
10-05-2005, 05:47 PM
There aren't that many girls in the game, so would they have to stick some super models on the cover? Just standing there while Raz looks ominous?
Yeah, James Bond style.

Purple Squid
10-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Oh... would they be copy-pasted pictures? Like with bits and pieces of the background screen they stood in front of still on their photos?

Purple Squid
10-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Okay, using the gathered information I have come to the conclusion that Psychonauts would sell a billion times better if the cover was as follows:

Psychonizzle
(Followed by a picture of Raz and a few supermodels that were cheaply Photoshopped onto the cover)
OMFG NEON COLORS
Created by Tim Schafer, the man who was shot in the face and still gets chicks. Dawg.

TyraaRane
10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Yellow and purple...okay, bright yellow and purple. Looks like the jersey of a high school soccer team escaped and got caught in the machinery that makes the boxes. (Actually, I think there's a school with those exact same colors in my hometown. WTFBBQ.) Seriously, icky. Everyone knows that green = the best.*

*Note: author of this post may be slightly biased, as green is her favorite color.

counting_pine
10-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Hey, maybe kids will buy it out of school-team loyalty:)

Here (http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000BKT27G.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg)'s a pic of the PC version's cover. It might sell a bit better, since they've mentioned Grim and DOTT on the front.

Smon
10-06-2005, 08:13 AM

Here (http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000BKT27G.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg)'s a pic of the PC version's cover. It might sell a bit better, since they've mentioned Grim and DOTT on the front.
Yeah but still yellow and purple says vomit to me.

Lyris
10-06-2005, 09:39 AM

It's great to see those mentioned. It's also good to see that for Europe, it's on DVD instead of 6 CDs. I heard that America was especially slow to take up DVD-ROM technology.

TyraaRane
10-06-2005, 12:58 PM

But they don't mention Full Throttle?

Woe. Everyone always forgets about Full Throttle. *waxes on in this vein for quite some time*

(...Yeah, I have a slight FT obsession. Shut up. Stop looking at me like that!)

Klia
10-06-2005, 01:25 PM
But they don't mention Full Throttle?

Woe. Everyone always forgets about Full Throttle. *waxes on in this vein for quite some time*

(...Yeah, I have a slight FT obsession. Shut up. Stop looking at me like that!)

That's because Grim Fandango is a sleeper hit and is a classic as is Day of the Tentacle (for being one of the great humour games)

FT is not as spectacular sounding or has such a huge fanbase. Look at its forums..no one's been on for months.

TyraaRane
10-06-2005, 02:41 PM
FT is not as spectacular sounding or has such a huge fanbase. Look at its forums..no one's been on for months.

Yes, I know. I just whine anyway because I have a very strange fascination with the game, and my inner fangirl tends to get grumpy when people forget about it.

...My inner fangirl is grumpy a lot. *shifty eyes*

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 04:46 PM
*Note: author of this post may be slightly biased, as green is her favorite color.

Yum. Green.

But that cheap glow just KILLS me!

HMC
10-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Frankly, I don't think either of the box designs do a very good job at depicting what the actual game is like.

Klia
10-06-2005, 04:54 PM
I like the art cover on Psychonauts actually. They show us a lot of the game but as someone who doesn't look at covers you don't notice it.

And how can you not like the stoned!Loboto? It's just priceless. Thinking about it is making me laugh.

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Frankly, I don't think either of the box designs do a very good job at depicting what the actual game is like.
How did the green one not do this?

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 04:56 PM
I like the art cover on Psychonauts actually. They show us a lot of the game but as someone who doesn't look at covers you don't notice it.

And how can you not like the stoned!Loboto? It's just priceless. Thinking about it is making me laugh.

The G-Men are all like "Sup?" and Sheegor is having a secret!LOL and Loboto is all "Hoowah!" and Linda is all like "Mind control munch!" It's fantastic!

HMC
10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
How did the green one not do this?

I dunno, it just doesn't seem like a very green game. At least not this shade of green.

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Oh. So, do you mean you don't like the color, or you don't think it actually expresses the game?

:'D Sercretlol!

Lyris
10-06-2005, 05:08 PM
The green one was absolutely perfect IMO. I loved how it was as I said on my site one of those "everything happening at once covers". But they've totally screwed most of that up by obliterating most of the picture on the European version.

Also, the Euro version has been delayed until the end of November now. Bend over and take it, Europe... (Sorry, but I actually live in Europe too and have been importing video games for years because of events such as this).

HMC
10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I think the green cover should be darker. Being that it's nighttime through most of the game and the game itself has a rather dark theme.

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 05:11 PM
The green one was absolutely perfect IMO. I loved how it was as I said on my site one of those "everything happening at once covers". But they've totally screwed most of that up by obliterating most of the picture on the European version.

Also, the Euro version has been delayed until the end of November now. Bend over and take it, Europe... (Sorry, but I actually live in Europe too and have been importing video games for years because of events such as this).

Aww. Poor Europe. BUT.

Maybe we can sneak a few all-American green markers over there for a bit of... fixing? Wink.

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 05:12 PM
I think the green cover should be darker. Being that it's nighttime through most of the game and the game itself has a rather dark theme.
Dark? The scenery was dark, but the theme was more... well, I wouldn't say 'dark' as much as 'swirly'. But that doesn't make sense, so I'm not saying it. :3

DarthAve
10-06-2005, 05:26 PM
I like the one where Raz is glowing. It's like raz is radioactive. Radioactive Razputin, wow interesting.

HappyCabbit
10-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't mind the yellow as much as the purple...because it's solid and doesn't include Sasha and Milla. Why?! *distressed*

And since the box happens to be the same colos as my Middle School's were I doubt I'd have bought Psychonauts had the American cover looked like that.

And...cheap photoshop glow...right. -_-' I also wonder why the brain isn't on there. I thought the brain was really awesome! The European box is most definitely not cool. >.> Well, I don't think so, but I am a biased person who despises yellow and purple [together] and who loves green. <3

DarthAve
10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
but, radioactive Raz??

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
I like the one where Raz is glowing. It's like raz is radioactive. Radioactive Razputin, wow interesting.
You mean the icky yellow and purple one?

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 05:31 PM
...and who loves green. <3
Yay! The green is what made me buy the game, dammit.

Smon
10-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Yeah... I think the box would get attention AND depict the game well if it was a brain splatted against a wall in the tower and the swirls in the brain made the PsychoNauts logo.

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 06:05 PM
But the people who haven't played the game don't know what the logo means. How will it sell better?

Smon
10-06-2005, 06:09 PM
But the people who haven't played the game don't know what the logo means. How will it sell better?
A game with big green swirl or a brain splattered on a wall... I'd buy the brain one.

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 06:11 PM
A game with big green swirl or a brain splattered on a wall... I'd buy the brain one.
But... nevermind. I like big green swirls. Sadness and woe.

D:

Anyway, the purple and yellow one is ugly. Not in an 'eeew' type of way, but a 'uhoes, what is this all over the cover? oh thats color' type ugly.

counting_pine
10-06-2005, 08:01 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure it's fair to compare the European cover to the US one. I'd say that anyone in Europe who knows what the US Psychonauts cover looks like is probably either planning to buy the game regardless of its cover, or has already imported it.

What would you think if you hadn't heard of Psychonauts before, and one day you spotted a purple and yellow cover amongst all the EA/Starwars/etc games on the shelf in HMV? What do you think your first impression would be?

Purple Squid
10-06-2005, 08:06 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure it's fair to compare the European cover to the US one. I'd say that anyone in Europe who knows what the US Psychonauts cover looks like is probably either planning to buy the game regardless of its cover, or has already imported it.

What would you think if you hadn't heard of Psychonauts before, and one day you spotted a purple and yellow cover amongst all the EA/Starwars/etc games on the shelf in HMV? What do you think your first impression would be?
Well, I'd say it was pretty unique looking. And then I'd probably blink a lot. The color kind of hurts... BUT. It DOES draw the eye towards it. And all it hs to do is get people to read the back...once they hear about the bacon...BAM.