PDA

View Full Version : Overly Emotional? [Spoilers]

Kristy Kistic
11-12-2005, 01:39 AM
Ok maybe its just me, but I was wondering if anyone else had the same experiences I did when playing KotOR for the first time.

1) I got highly upset when I lost Bastila on the Leviathan. (I thought she
was gone for good.) :mad:
2) I almost cried (well I did a little) when Malak actually gave his
short speech and died. :cry6:
3) I felt amazingly guilty when I went back to my temple save game
and played it out as dark side (Like I was doing something
wrong.) :roleyess:
4) I did cry when Vandar looked at Dodonna and said "No! Bastila is using
her battle meditation against us! :cry6:

There were other instances that I don't remember offhand and playing
through several times later some things still get to me. Maybe I'm
just a lil too emotional? :jab:

Alkonium
11-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Well, that's a well made game for you. Remember the shock players get when they realise that they are Revan? I even worried about Trask and hoped he'd make it out alive somehow. But then I figure out that he's dead so I always kill Bandon to avenge him, despite my lightsidedness.

90SK
11-12-2005, 01:47 AM
I got pretty guilty with my DS exploration too. But for the most part, it was more shade of emotion, rather than all out. With TSL, it was more pronounced (but I pretty much lived that game for 4 solid days, where I put of a tent blanket around my PC to keep out all light save my monitor, and effectively depriving myself of all sensory input save given by TSL. Needless to say, I had interesting dreams during those 4 nights).

The_Maker
11-12-2005, 02:10 AM
Well,
If K1 was food I think it would be safe to say the first week I played it I was craving it 24/7 :xp:

I got very emotional (not crying, more the emotion the devs want you to feel) at the end in both LS an DS situations, though I liked the feeling the DS ending gave me more :evil2: I also really got "involved" with the game so-to-speak at the final battles on The Star Forge with Vandar, and Malak, and Bastila, etc. The cutscenes made me feel like I was really in one of the films with my PC fighting the forces of evil, (or causing it).

TSL never really did anything for me, the characters I never really got to know well and the really strong parts of the game I was only somewhat convinced. I did like the parts where you saw some of your old party members, like Carth and Bastila but the rest of the game never really got to me the way K1 did.

TreeX
11-12-2005, 06:01 AM
true that, well made game at all. only point I got upset in was when Bastila got taken by Malak. well maybe the Revan revealling part as well... for a while there I thought Bastila was Revan XD

DarkExcalibur42
11-12-2005, 07:18 AM
I felt like crap when my persuade failed and i had to kill bastila on the star forge. And i have still never managed to play through as dark side, I feel like too much of an ass. Every time i start i either turn to the light or quit.

Aurora Merlow
11-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Don't worry i was a bit emotional too. Seeing Bastila sacrifice herself to save me on the Leviathan then viewing the clip of her being tortured really got to me. And when we see her on the Unkown world and she reveals that she's fallen, i felt crushed, like it was my fault. But when you finally turn her back its very uplifting.

I think that the fact it draws so many emotions from you is a sign of a great game and great story, something i thought was lacking in TLS just didn't feel the same about any of the characters.

deathdisco
11-13-2005, 12:31 AM
3) I felt amazingly guilty when I went back to my temple save game
and played it out as dark side (Like I was doing something
wrong.) :roleyess:

Yeah, The first time I did that I felt awful. Especially after I invested so much emotionally in those characters after completing their side-quests.

StaffSaberist
11-13-2005, 02:03 AM
I played DS once. Never got past Dantooine. One, it was too much, having to kill those innocents. I got a little emotional on Taris ("you're robbing me?" from an elderly man) and I just couldn't take it. Maybe I'm a big wuss, but I can't stand the Dark Side. Besides, do they have to make you ugly if you go DS?

lukeiamyourdad
11-13-2005, 02:42 AM
I played DS once. Never got past Dantooine. One, it was too much, having to kill those innocents. I got a little emotional on Taris ("you're robbing me?" from an elderly man) and I just couldn't take it. Maybe I'm a big wuss, but I can't stand the Dark Side. Besides, do they have to make you ugly if you go DS?

I'm like you man, except that I managed to complete on DS many times. There's just some things I can't do. Some DS options are kind of funny but robbing a poor widow or some sick old man is just wrong man. Just wrong...

This is the thing I love about KotOR. It causes lots of emotions.

Clone L68362
11-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Yeah,you get all ugly if you go DS. Instant phail.

K1 invoked a lot of emotions in me too, mostly at the end. Fighting Bastila and the whole coversation with her and trying to save her was touching, then the fight with Malak with the music and the scenery was just incredible. I remember one game were, as Malak was about to die the music reached it peak right as he said his last few words. Amazing.

SITHSLAYER133
11-13-2005, 05:01 AM
when i say bandon i wanted to kill him Cause of trask
i freaked out when i found out who revan was i cant do spoilers so i will be vauge
fighting bastila i couldnt do it

tsl wasnt that good i dint feel close to the characters like i did in kotor 1

im lightsided i cant stand doing something evil for ever ds point i have to do 5 or 6 good points

spinkle
11-13-2005, 05:25 AM
i also had trouble redoing the temple as DS...after i finished what needed to be done there, i didn't want to face the "what happened?" conversation with Carth, so I gave up instead. =\ I still haven't tried to make it through the game all DS.

my most emotional moment by far in the two games was the fall of Atris my first time through TSL. i was in complete disbelief. even though i was a lightsider i was so angry i killed her without an offer of redemption and no hesitation...and then immediately felt like a horrible person. =D

StaffSaberist
11-13-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm so happy I'm not alone...

BattleDog
11-13-2005, 09:44 AM
I could never do dark side. Once, on light side, I threatened the Ithorian who had HK. Bastila sounded so dissapointed I reloaded.

Things that choked me up in K1, in no particular order:

1) When Bastila finds out her dad is dead.

2) Carth's son.

3) Taris being destroyed.

4) You're Reven.

5) Dantooine destroyed.

6) The whole ark after Bastila gets captured.

7) Malak's death.

There were other things that made me emotional but those were the heavyweights.

StaffSaberist
11-13-2005, 10:29 AM
There is no emotion...

j/k. I'm surprised noone did that yet. If I do play DS, I skip all dialog, and even then it seems wrong.

When I found out I was Revan... oh, geez. I read a walkthrough, and I thought Malak was playing a Sith mind trick forcing you to act like Revan, then say "I'm not Revan anymore..." so they would know the trick was over. When I realized it was true...

Hallucination
11-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Geez no one can do DS? After I played LS I just loved the slaughter, running into the fight and killing, the robbing people. Does that mean I'm a bad person?

StaffSaberist
11-13-2005, 03:27 PM
No, it means you don't take the game too seriously. Yet.

I'M TELLING YOU, GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN! IT'S TOO LATE FOR US!!!

Hallucination
11-13-2005, 07:00 PM
^^Umm...okay *jumps out window*

SITHSLAYER133
11-13-2005, 07:05 PM
yes get out now b4 u end up shooting yourself like this * points gun at own head and smiles and yells dam you kotor dam you to hell !!! followed by a loud pop and an erire silence*

90SK
11-13-2005, 07:44 PM
I always felt a little guilty with the prospect of killing the jedi masters in TSL. Aside from Vrook. >_>

@BattleDog

Yeah, I was pissed and sad at the same time when Taris was destroyed. That was probably the biggest emotional blow KotOR dealt me. It also gave me great reason to play LS and kick Malak's rump.

spinkle
11-13-2005, 07:59 PM
I was actually happy when Taris was destroyed, because it guaranteed i wouldn't have to deal with it a second time in that game =D (my apologies to Juhani, of course)

Killing the Jedi masters feels like a hollow victory each time...the worst for me was Kavar. I'd never liked Vrook and I'm pretty indifferent about Zez Kai-Ell...but Kavar has that whole friend vibe going on that I'd gotten really used to, so when i finally played DS i felt like i was betraying his trust.

90SK
11-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah, same here. I felt bad for Atris when I confronted her. Fortunately, I was playing LS, so I let her be. Even so, some of the DS options were interesting, to say the least. Like leaving her to the holocrons...

SpaceAlex
11-13-2005, 09:18 PM
K1:
- The whole Leviathan scene was excellent and i felt like i'm really there
- Everything involving Bastila on UW and Star Forge. Going light side was rewarding, but going DS was much more exciting.

I never played Dark Side throughout the entire game. I was light side a couple of times, but i prefer playing neutral. Face it, some of those schuttas deserved a DS response. :D

K2:
- The meeting with Atris. That academy had a certain cold feel about it.
- The meeting with the Jedi on Dantooine was really emotional (LS)
- The closer i was to Nihilus, the more excited i was (especially because i buffed him up a bit :d)

StaffSaberist
11-13-2005, 10:00 PM
One of these times, some jerk is going to come along and call us all weak. Can we have super-secret permission to flame the first guy who does that? :D

The Doctor
11-13-2005, 11:20 PM
For most of the thing you mentioned, you did get too emotional, IMO.
But when I reloaded to see what would happen if I joined Bastila, I felt so guilty about killing Jolee and Juhani that I couldn't play DS any further for a long time. It wasn't until a later play-through that I learned you could also kill Mission and Zalbaar.

Darth333
11-13-2005, 11:25 PM
When I play a female PC I use to pick up the chracter that resembles me the most physically and I just can't go DS (did it once and felt very bad about it). In fact, the only way I can play DS is by picking a PC of the opposite sex so it looks very different from me: it looks more like a movie to me and I feel less involved (still robbing that poor woman on Tatoine feels really cheap, no matter how I am playing)

StaffSaberist
11-13-2005, 11:34 PM
The player I always choose is similar to my favorite teacher of all time. And, Doc, I said I got a little emotional on Taris. And the feeling I got when I realized I was Revan was shock, augmented by my misinterpretation of a Walkthrough (It said, "You will see movies which are supposed to show you are Revan"...) and I was going through a natural teen mood swing. It sucked to have mood swings like that, but it happened. And it made DS impossible. So, out of habit, I still go LS, with a single exception: The Bendak Duel on Taris. No pity for that Mandalorian, esp. since b/c of an exploit/bug, you could get 2 Bendak Blasters! And I still got LS Mastery by the 2nd planet. :D

Kristy Kistic
11-14-2005, 12:44 AM
I started my first ds game about a month ago planning to play full ds all the way through. I keep having to use adddarkside xx because I manage to gain ls points. (Some ds character I am.) I did 3 planets I think and abandoned the game. I doubt I ever will finish it. Playing ls comes natural to me and ds doesn't. Sometimes I had to actually focus on the fact that I was trying to play ds. I never had a problem clobbering the sith or anything, it was those devious things - like when you let Shaardan kill the academy wannabes.
Btw: I know this was another devious and low thing to do, but the single funniest thing in the game to me was when you tell the sith prospect outside the academy that Mekel said his final test was to attack the sith guard. I laughed hard Oh well. :)

REDJOHNNYMIKE
11-14-2005, 01:10 AM
If a story doesn't produce an emotional response, it's generally not a very good story, and then there's pathetic overemotional junk (aka chick flicks)
Fortunately KT's a grey jedi in that regard:D

I kinda saw Trask coming, so the first suprise for me was when the family started asking why you're robbing them, I was like "uhhh, I'm supposed to, right? isn't that what it's there for?" I liked how the story challenged the gameplay design there:D

StaffSaberist
11-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Nobody's ever asked me... are you talking about the X-Box version?

BattleDog
11-14-2005, 03:29 PM
I kill Bendak as well but I do it to fulfil the bounty, which Carth says is okay and the journal says you ended his reign of terror. You still get DS points though, I think thats a bug.

StaffSaberist
11-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Not a bug. You are killing someone for money in an illegal death match.

Thaeos
11-15-2005, 06:23 PM
The first time I played through as Dark Side and I enjoyed it heartily ... :toilet1:

chaleur
11-15-2005, 07:52 PM
It was a huge quandry for me on the first play-through. I wanted to complete the quest, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Those Bioware jerks, making me make decisions like that! Hrmph! Needless to say, I loved it.

StaffSaberist
11-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Which quest is that? There are many DS and LS quests. Or do you mean the game in general?

BattleDog
11-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Not a bug. You are killing someone for money in an illegal death match.

No, I'm exicuting a goverment contract on a known murderer and all round bad apple. Besides when you talk about bounties Carth says its okay. I'm not saying you should get light side points or anything.

StaffSaberist
11-16-2005, 10:05 AM
People can be wrong, you know. The Jedi hold all life sacred, even that of a Sith Lord. Bendak is an ignorant, arrogant fool, and a murderer, but he is not actually evil, he is looking for a challenge, like all Mandalorians. You gave it to him, and had the chance to spare his life. You didn't. Not to mention the fact that the method you had for... executing... that contract was an illegal one. Ajuur had to bribe a lot of people to allow this to happen. Bribery to allow death is wrong.

No, you shouldn't gain LSP for it, but considering all of that, you should get a little DSP. You don't get hit that hard on Taris, and you still can achieve LS Mastery. I play that duel every game, and I still have Mastery by the Laviathan.

Cygnus Q'ol
11-16-2005, 12:41 PM
When playing DS, no one lives that has no use to me.

When playing LS, I try to help everyone that I can, credits are of no concern.

If you think like this the whole game and at every turn, you'll reach mastery quite easily.

StaffSaberist
11-16-2005, 07:37 PM
I memorized a LS walkthrough, and added LSP as I could. I get all possible LSP in the game. :D

PoiuyWired
11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
First time I play I am actually not shooting for light side or dark side. So I do some darkside stuff, and some lightside stuff. Eventually I am a little bit more on the light side. So when I saw Bastila on the temple top, I do have to make a hard choice. Thing is, I do spend loads of time flirting with her, and I am afraid I would actually have to kill her... Eventually I did the "right" thing, by following her. It is kinda sad I have to put down Bindo though, he is a nice chap, and I am *really* down when Mission Just won't leave me, and had to be killed(I actually kinda like Mission and did all her quests and such, and even let her bastarrd brother go). It feels good to cheat the Republic together with Batila though. That is like the grand moment!

chaleur
11-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Which quest is that? There are many DS and LS quests. Or do you mean the game in general?

It was the Bendak Starkiller quest. I am unaware of any other quest in the game that you just have to walk away from if you don't want any DS points.

Okay, there's the Genohendrain (sp?) too -- the bounty hunters. But that felt a bit different somehow. Maybe it's just because it's later in the game, and I don't care by then. More likely because you can just ignore the Genowhatstis, whereas if you want to finish the duels (which you've already started) and the bounty hunts (which you've probably already started) on Taris, you HAVE to fight Bendak.

StaffSaberist
11-17-2005, 07:37 PM
^ I see what you mean. But, it hardly matters in the end, you get LS Mastery so easily that a few DS points don't hurt. Also, I play the planet with the Genohardan last. So, since I am so deep in the light side, it would hurt to play those bounties.

chaleur
11-17-2005, 08:42 PM
^You're right of course. A dark side point or two doesn't matter -- but the first time I played through, I was angsty about getting any DS points. I had no idea how it was going to effect my balance, or (more importantly) my choices later in the game.

In my defence, when I've gotten other friends to sit down and play KotOR, they got angsty there too :).

Char Ell
11-17-2005, 08:53 PM
It is reassuring to know that there are others out there who had feelings similar to mine when playing KotOR as a darksider. It just felt wrong! So in effect I guess you could say that I was more emotional when I played DS than when I played LS. The internal conflict that arose in response to my making DS decisions was quite disturbing. Unlike some others who have posted here though I completed the game, my PC having achieved dark side mastery early on (since DS points are so easy to come by). I didn't have much issue with slaying Genoharadan guild leaders, other Sith, Malak, or other DS inclined characters but when it came time to confront Juhani and Jolee... that was very troubling and difficult for me.

Hallucination
11-17-2005, 08:59 PM
^^I didn't mind Juhani, but killing Jolee was rather upsetting to me.

MrVorlon
11-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Geez no one can do DS? After I played LS I just loved the slaughter, running into the fight and killing, the robbing people. Does that mean I'm a bad person?
No. All Jedi must know the Darkside in order to fear it. :D

I didn't enjoy the darkside until my second playthrough as a Darksider. The point where I said, "I have to do this again!" is after the final tomb mission on Korriban. Those three student at the entrance who ask us where is Master Uthar. The point that intrigued me is the dialogue option that says, "(Force)Persuade: I am Revan. Bow down before me." Something like that. After I failed, I realized I had to replay the game and choose a class with the most Charisma and Persuade and more force point to put in Mind Tricks and Dominate Mind. I kept trying and retrying everything, starting whole new games putting max points in persuade and charisma, but still no go. But I still wanted those arrogant Sith fools to bow down before me! :sithk:

Then I learned of the KoTOR X-Box glitch. So i glitched ALL the stats I could. Strength, Dex, etc. I settled at 50 as my max! AND STILL THEY WOULD NOT BOW DOWN BEFORE THE DARK LORD REVAN!! I glitched my way to 80, then 100. And still they defied me! I decided one more try. Wisdom and Charisma 180! (I figured 200 would be pointless. 180 would be my last gasp.) And I still failed. So after three months of failure all to be the evilest of Darklords, I was apathetic to the starving family on Tatooine, I killed those piggies in the bar, I killed all the Sandpeople, and slaughtered Griff. I just enjoyed doing bad things. Being the uber-Sith Lord was great. Except those Sith would never bow down before me. :lightning

Emperor Devon
11-24-2005, 02:56 AM
A true Sith would not waste his time with filth like them.

ALso, it's impossible to get them to bow down before you.

lukeiamyourdad
11-24-2005, 03:17 AM

Yes you can. Cut them down. They're technically bowing to your might.

Emperor Devon
11-24-2005, 04:09 AM
True... they do fall to the ground, but they're dead when that happens.

MrVorlon
11-24-2005, 04:11 AM
A true Sith would not waste his time with filth like them.

I know. It just took me months to finally accept that. :chop1:

Is that persistence, or am I too dumb to realize when to stop? :robe1

StaffSaberist
11-24-2005, 11:55 AM
*resists temptation to say MrVorion is dumb*

I would call that persistence. I play LS myself, but I don't try to turn them to the light for months on end. Nothing works. Either one of the masters survives, or you fight them all.

Prime
11-24-2005, 12:04 PM
I'd say I got more attached to the K1 characters than any other VG game characters I have come across.

MrVorlon
11-26-2005, 12:29 PM
*resists temptation to say MrVorion is dumb*

I would call that persistence. I play LS myself, but I don't try to turn them to the light for months on end. Nothing works. Either one of the masters survives, or you fight them all.
Thank you for resisting. :)

I could never let both Masters survive. I always try to redeem Yuthura Ban, and slaughter Master Uthar. I'll never help him! If not, I'll kill them both. It's more fun to fight all the Sith students anyway. I enjoy dying at least once.

The Doctor
11-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Only one of them ca survive. Whichever one you side with kills the other. No matter what.

The Eyes
11-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I cried a little when I killed Bastila the first time through, I didnt know about the romance then or that you could save her, She did come with me on every expeditition besides korriban.

StaffSaberist
11-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Thank you for resisting. :)

I could never let both Masters survive. I always try to redeem Yuthura Ban, and slaughter Master Uthar. I'll never help him! If not, I'll kill them both. It's more fun to fight all the Sith students anyway. I enjoy dying at least once.

No problem. :)

I helped Yuthura on Korriban, but didn't choose the correct options. I ended up leaving her on Korriban. I didn't want to say I wasn't a Sith and proud of it, since pride leads to the Dark Side. :)

MrVorlon
11-27-2005, 03:45 PM
No problem. :)

I helped Yuthura on Korriban, but didn't choose the correct options. I ended up leaving her on Korriban. I didn't want to say I wasn't a Sith and proud of it, since pride leads to the Dark Side. :)
Clever!:lol:

Mace MacLeod
12-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Maybe I'm just a lil too emotional? :jab:

Yeah, that's a safe bet.

But hey, one of the key properties of a good game is that it actually involves you at an emotional level. And kotor and TSL are two of the best ever made, despite their weaknesses, IMHO...

PoiuyWired
12-06-2005, 04:26 AM
I was apathetic to the starving family on Tatooine, I killed those piggies in the bar, I killed all the Sandpeople, and slaughtered Griff. I just enjoyed doing bad things. Being the uber-Sith Lord was great. Except those Sith would never bow down before me. :lightning

Well, killing sand people is hardly a evil thing that gives you DSP. You can finish the quest the regular way, and give the dragon pearl to the storyteller for a nice section. THEN you open up a basket just behind him. Every tusken goes grazy and you kill then. You get the dragon pearl back too, and another special stick along with all other items.

As for Griff, he sooo deserves it. Only thing that keeps me grom filleting his lekku alive is Mission.

UncleO
12-30-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm getting really attached to this game and the whole Bastila Revan thing. I did it in this order Tatoonie, Manaan, Kashyyk so far, and in Tatoonie Bastila got with my guy told him her feelings and such. Just since then I really haven't had the convo to reaffirm it even after I always have her in my party n such. This game is really well made through all the twists and turns.

JediKnight707
12-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I wasn't quite that emotional as to cry. But I was sad :(

Hallucination
12-30-2005, 01:25 AM
I didn't really get super-crying when I lose Bastilla emotional, but I was really interested in the characters. But when I was DS after I killed someone I could've helped I really felt evil. And I loved it, something about how you could kill them right there and they couldn't do anything to stop you. :)

JediKnight707
12-30-2005, 01:40 AM
Wow, spoken like a true Sith...*tear* I'm so proud...

DarkRevan
12-30-2005, 02:00 AM
I just loved this game, its just sheer brilliance.

I played first time as light side, or maybe more of universal.
I saved a different file but I just wanted to see what happens if I killed dustil. Poor Carth he was on the verge of tears when he blamed me, It really hurt when he said ďI wish never had met youĒ :cry8:
But I was absolutely shocked when I found out I was Revan.
Even though throughout the game was on the path of the light side, I actually succumbed to Bastillaís little speech on the temple and fell to the dark side.
I really didnít want to kill Carth after I defeated Malak. But I had no choice. I rather do it then let Bastilla.
Also I admit, I in fact enjoyed it when I forced Zallbar to kill Massion. I guess there is that dark taint within me :dev7:

Added spoiler tags ~ ChAiNZ.2da

UncleO
12-30-2005, 03:17 AM
Wow I just went through the whole Leviathian thing.... And the thing with Bastila and Revans look on his face was nuts. That was a crazy level caught me off guard I thought I could get all Star Maps, then go to it.

kata_mad
12-31-2005, 02:25 PM
I am glad to see I am not the only one with a problem with DS, I have completed both endings but I have to take it from the Uknown temple as I don't have the heart to do a full game. Killing Jolee was difficult but the worst one was force pursuading Zalbaar to kill mission, I ended up reloading and killing them both (I know it doesn't make sense).

When the revan revelation came I think I was kicking myself for missing the obvious seen in the cutscene than shocked.

StaffSaberist
12-31-2005, 02:53 PM
MEGA-BUMP!

Can't remember if I said this already, but I was reading a walkthrough, so I read this passage from it:

You then see a movie with a bunch of scenes which are supposed to show that you are Revan...

And then one of the dialog options in the walkthrough:

I'm not Revan anymore...

Actually led me to believe that it was all a trick by Malak, a kind of Sith Mind Trick. When I discovered the truth in the games, it was a slap to the face...

Kristy Kistic
01-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately my loving nephew spoiled the part about the pc being Revan. He has the xbox version and so kindly informed me that I was Revan before I got to that part.
So that wasn't a shocker for me. However, I had owned the game for a couple months and had shelfed it because I didn't immediately like it. If he hadn't told me what he did, I probably wouldn't have pulled it back from the shelf and finished the game. I'm so glad I did. :)

PoiuyWired
01-01-2006, 04:28 PM
I just loved this game, its just sheer brilliance.

I really didnít want to kill Carth after I defeated Malak. But I had no choice. I rather do it then let Bastilla.
Also I admit, I in fact enjoyed it when I forced Zallbar to kill Massion. I guess there is that dark taint within me :dev7:

Added spoiler tags ~ ChAiNZ.2da

Well, I always think there should be an option NOT to kill mission, seeing that even as you are evil she will kinda follow you around... and she makes a good house pet.
Oh well. Oh, where do you get the outfit in your sig? Its cool.

DarkRevan
01-02-2006, 01:28 AM
^Yeah, I thought the option "Get lost mission we dont need you anymore" (or somthing like that) I thought she would have ran off with Carth. But no she had to stay behind. Oh well.

Heres the link for the robes: http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/8650.html
But you need RedHawke's Bastila's Clothes For Female PC's which is here http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/7833.html
You also need to do some fidgeting to get the new robes for your PC but I'm sure you can do it.

grunty
01-02-2006, 03:27 AM
I unfortunately found the games technical faults a hinderance to the emotional aspects of the story. True, finding out you were Revan or that Bastila turned was surprising and in a way emotional, but seeing the same hand gestures from the characters you've seen throughout the game or the lack of an emotional soundtrack really didn't help me get into it.

Here's to Kotor 3 putting my complaints to rest

.:DSX:.
01-02-2006, 03:41 AM
I enjoyed mercilessly killing my party members. Mission...ask Zaalbar to kill her (not force persuade) so you kill him as well, stupid cryptic old man and cat-woman, Death-fielded, and Carth left to die on some desolate world in the unknown regions. The only emotion I felt was satisfaction. ;)

Carthaholic
01-08-2006, 01:15 AM
You know a game is good when you go through a wide array of emotions while playing it. You know a game is *great* when you then have to play again and again in hope of reliving those emotions all over again... Yep, KotOR is indeed one of those *great* games.

I wouldn't say I got as emotional as some people here but there is a few things that really got me, the first one being when we find out who Revan really is (that was a real shocker, that almost bested the Luke-I-am-your-father thing o_O)

But the one thing that really got me is this... The very first time I played the game I played as a LS female and I managed to complete the romance subplot with Carth. I turned down Bastilla's offer and finished the game lightsided. Everything was all fine and dandy. But then I started wondering what would've been Carth's reaction if I had gone DS instead 'cause, you know, he loves me and all, so I was really curious to see what he was going to do about it...

I reloaded the saved game I had made right before talking to Bastilla at the Temple and went DS. You see him run away like a big wuss at the beach (leaving Mission to be killed OMG...), but he then shows up later on the Star Forge to try to turn us back, but we can only kill him. NOOO! :cry8:That totally broke my heart... I really wanted to be turned back. At that point I really thought we could ('cause the dialogues really seem to suggest that we can), so I tried just about every goddamn thing to get it to work but nothing would. I became desperate so I visited Bioware's forums to get some help and found out that there was another possible ending but it was never completed and implemented! NOOOOOOOO!!! The horror! :cry8: But if you have the PC version you can listen to the audio files containing the missing dialogues!! And let me tell you it's a really sad ending indeed...

Carth manages to turn you back to the lightside, Bastilla gets real upset so you end up killing her and you then share a brief moment with Carth before the Star Forge gets blown to bits by the Republic...... :cry8:

It's fitting end... but sad as hell. :( Anyways, since that day I absolutely *cannot* play a DS female, I just can't bare seeing Carth die... So everytime I want to be DS I play a male PC, that solves my problem. ;)

StaffSaberist
01-08-2006, 01:23 AM
I agree with you on all points except that I thought it did best the I-am-your-father thing. That and the fact I never have played a female...

Malkier
02-11-2006, 02:05 PM
the most emotional part of the game for me, wasnt when Bastilla was taken by malek, but when i watched the cut scene where she is being tortured, my blood boiled,i killed everything in my path, i just HAD to get to malek an tear him limb from limb, then i find out she had turned to the dark side, i went numb, i thought there is no way im going to be able to kill her (emotionaly, my char would have moped the floor with her in combat). I turned her back to LS but still wanted bozo, i let him recharge at every jedi thingy, just so i could hurt him more. only thing i was dissapointed about was the fact i couldnt chop him up into little tiny peices after he died. No game ive played before or since has goten me sooo damn mad lol.

Shem
02-11-2006, 11:51 PM
The first time I played the game is the day I bought it, which was on Friday, July 18, 2003 on the XBox. I can't believe it's been almost 3 years since that day. Time has really flied.

The first time I played the game, I was overwhelmed by it because I had never played a role playing game before. I decided to choose a female PC because rarely does the female get to be the hero and I was a little inspired by Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider games, I went the female route the first time I played through.

I choose this model for my first time.
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6107/popfha50sb.jpg
I didn't do it for any particular reason other than the class I chose, it was the one already displayed. I chose Scoundrel because I was inspired by Leia's remark about Han Solo in Empire Strikes Back. So that model was the one displayed when I went for Scoundrel.

I loved the beginning of it. It felt Star Wars when I watched the opening crawl. Then to see the Endar Spire under attack. I was expecting to be a Jedi or use the Force at first since I do recall your PC having Force Powers and a lightsaber when watching the trailers to the game. I was bummed when it didnít start out that way, but I did read that you will eventually become a Jedi when I went on the internet to find out if I would because I did want this game to be worth it.

I loved the music (Bastilaís Theme) when I first heard it in the Taris Apartment. It gave me a chill up my back when I first listen through it. I was under the impression when Carth talked about Revan and Malak that Revan was the worst one and things were better now that Revan was killed, but still in bad shape.

Getting through Taris was fun at times, and I loved it when I got Zaalbar. I loved that you can talk to a Wookiee and understand each word, unlike the Star Wars movies where you had to assume what Chewbacca or any other Wookiee was saying. I didnít think the Rakghouls and getting the Rakghoul disease was a great idea. I thought that part was lame. I did like getting involved with the gang wars and searching for Bastila. The swoop race gave me the same feeling from The Phantom Menace. I did try to equip Bastilaís lightsaber when I rescued her, but realized that my character didnít have the feat required to do so. I was a little bummed about that. I loved meeting Canderous and joining him, along with killing Bendak Starkiller. Going through Davikís estate was a blast. It took me eight hours to get off Taris.

Getting to Dantooine and becoming a Jedi was so awesome. I loved watching your PC train to become a Jedi and meditate in the air while having the chairs float around you. It felt like The Empire Strikes Back watching Luke drain on Dagobah. I felt like I was Luke or Anakin Skywalker because they trained at a too old of age, and felt a little like Anakin because my PC was a special case, like I was a Chosen One, and some how the Jedi Order overlooked my PC. I wanted to have a blue lightsaber really bad. I also wanted to have a second lightsaber since I never played a Star Wars game where you can have dual lightsabers. I wanted to get more lightsabers and get a green one for my off hand. Anyway because I wanted a blue lightsaber, I chose to be a Jedi Guardian. So I was a level eight Scoundrel, and finished the game also as a level twelve Jedi Guardian. Fighting Juhani was a little frustrating because I can see that you could redeem her, but I had a hard time figuring out how. I did get the fight to stop and saved it at that point and did would I could try redeem her. I did mess up a few time and got her to attack me and destroyed her because of it. Anyway, I did figure it out and was glad to get her in my party.

I choose Kashyyyk first to try out because I love Wookiees and loved the idea of going to the Wookiee planet. I was not disappointed at all. Especially when I added another Jedi, named Jolee.

I tried Tatooine next. That was fun seeing Anchor Head because it was mentioned by Luke in A New Hope. Believe it or not, I did not go to Yuka Lakaís shop and never did get HK-47 the first time I played through. I found out about HK-47 through my little brother who was playing through it when I was and he actually started before me and finished the game before me.

Manaan was a disappointment for me. I couldnít figure out how to blow up the harvest machine, so I poisoned the giant Firaxa Shark. So getting kicked off of Manaan was a shock because I didnít finish the Sunry trial and realized I wasnít going to be able to.

Getting captured by the Leviathan was a surprise. I didnít see that coming. I chose Jolee to be the one to break my party out. Getting through it and having Carth get his revenge of Saul was cool. I really thought my party was going to escape the Leviathan before Malak got there. I was shocked to see him show up before I got the chance to leave. When Malak recognized by PC, I was surprised to that he would. I didnít make any sense to me. When I saw the cut scene about the little hints Carth and Bastila gave in the scene, I recalled them and wondered where this was going. Carth mentioning about the Force doing terrible things to a mind, like wiping out your memory. And Bastila talking about turning an enemy to your cause, using their own knowledge against them. I knew Malak had betrayed Revan, but I wasnít expecting what I saw. When I saw Revan take off the helmet and saw my PCís face, I was shocked and confused. I knew Malak wasnít lying because of the scene of the helmet removal. When I faced Malak in battle, I thought that this was the end of the game. I thought if I beat him, I have beaten the game. I had put in over 30 hours of game play and never put that much in to one game to beat it. This was also my first role playing game. To find out that wasnít the end and to lose Bastila was a bummer. My brother did tell me that one of my party members was going to betray me before I got to that point. I never thought it would be Bastila. I thought it would be Juhani because of her Dark Side past.

Getting to Korriban gave me a new perspective. I was just going there to get the last Star Map. I now felt a sense of urgency because I wanted to rescue Bastila really bad. Korriban was fun. It became one of my favorites to visit. I actually sided with Yuthura Ban and teamed up with her to beat Master Uthar. I wasnít surprised to she turned on me because I was expecting it. I spared her when she pleaded for mercy and left the Academy. I didnít realize that if I killed her that I would have the whole Academy after me. I found that out on my next game.

The Unknown World was unexpected to. Especially having a place called the Unknown World. I thought of it as the Hawaii planet. Getting in the Temple and confronting Bastila on the roof was an overwhelming feeling. I was sad to see Bastila betrayed us. I felt really bad for her when I saw her before crash landing being tortured. To see that I couldnít turn her back made me sad and frustrated. Reporting back to the party and explain Bastilaís betrayal was a very sad moment.

Raiding the Star Forge became the most frustrating part of all the game. I never had so much difficulty doing it. I did get killed every once in a while, but could overcome it. When I realized that it wasnít going to be that easy and getting killed several times really ticked me off. I didnít really build my character that well. Especially since I really didnít know what I was doing and never had role playing experience before. 95% of the time I auto leveled up and my party members auto level up the whole time. I didnít want to take the time and figured out what to chose for my feats or Force Powers, so I thought if I auto leveled up, it would be okay. I realized later that was a bad choice.

After making it through with Juhani and Jolee by my side, I finally confront Bastila again, and found a way to redeem her. I also offered her to join me, but she refused to confront Malak with me. I was a little bummed. I did expect to face off against that Sith Master that kept reporting to Malak about what was going on and surprised that Malak never sent him to stop me. I thought that would happen later again when I was going through it Dark Side. Anyway, when Malak sent the Star Forge droids to stop me, I just kept on destroying droids and was wondering when it was going to stop and eventually they killed me because of my lack of experience. After being frustrated so badly, I figured out how to use the control panels to stop them. That was a relief.

Facing off against Malak for the final duel then became the most frustrating moment of the game. To get there and not be able to beat Malak really ticked me off even more than raiding through the Star Forge. I tried multiple times and failed. I then realized Iím going to have to learn methods I never knew about before. I then learned about how to use the Adrenaline shots. I never used them the whole time I went through the game, or the shields. I figured out how those were used and learned how to inject shots and turn on shields and realized that to beat Malak faster and easier, I had to destroy the Jedi containment units. I had Disable Droid power (not destroy) and used it to destroy the containment units and faced off against Malak to finish him and with the help of the shots and shields, and enough life support packs, I finally defeated him and was very happy.

I loved the ending, celebrating with my party members and knowing Bastila was apart of it. And Vandar referring to Revan as the prodigal Knight and it reminded me of the Prodigal Son story from the Bible. When I saw the credits role, I was amazed at what I did and couldnít wait to start another game. This time as a male PC. It took me 38 hours to beat the game. I completed it on Thursday, July 31, 2003.

Vaelastraz
02-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Iam not that much envolved in any game. However, Kotor I is still the game where i can identify myself with the PC best. Therefore i always choose the options i personally really would.. and i end up being a gray jedi.
At the final decision i took LS the first time i played through. It was really great, especially the fight vs Bastila ( i redeemed her of course..she's my love).
However i like the DS ending more. (i mean the cutscene)

The only thing i never did in Kotor I and II was playing totally lightside. But i played totally darkside (except a few things like that Ithorian who is attacked by the children on Taris, usally i really threaten the childs and make them run in fear.. then i heal the Ithorian. This is the way i feel about that! :D)

zadi
02-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I can't play DS, I feel guilty. I know it's a game and those people aren't alive but still. Another reason I don't play it as DS is that I fear missing conversations that might only come about from LS playing.

We know that Taris goes bai bai* and the majority of people will die but still... It's harder to play DS for me.

(*Japanese for bye bye)

StaffSaberist
02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
I never seem "into" the game until I try to play DS. It's not so hard in TSL, the difference between good and evil is very blurred there, but in KotOR it is nearly impossible for me. =/

PoiuyWired
02-14-2006, 03:52 PM
If I play "go with my heart" rather than shooting for DS or LS, I am a little bit on the LS.

I don't agree with the stupid Jedi Council on many things.

That having said, I would mostly go DS eventually for Bastila... too bad I can't "go with my heart" and save Mission as my little pet girl... along with the gizkas!!

Samuel Dravis
02-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I've never been able to get off Taris as a darkside character. I just can't do it; I'm not like that. I did try the DS ending once, but never again, hehe.

I felt like crap when my persuade failed and i had to kill bastila on the star forge. And i have still never managed to play through as dark side, I feel like too much of an ass. Every time i start i either turn to the light or quit.Yeah, The first time I did that I felt awful. Especially after I invested so much emotionally in those characters after completing their side-quests.
K1 invoked a lot of emotions in me too, mostly at the end. Fighting Bastila and the whole coversation with her and trying to save her was touching, then the fight with Malak with the music and the scenery was just incredible. I remember one game were, as Malak was about to die the music reached it peak right as he said his last few words. Amazing.Same for me. XD

I could never do dark side. Once, on light side, I threatened the Ithorian who had HK. Bastila sounded so dissapointed I reloaded.I also reloaded when I did something evil. I wanted to see what would happen, but I couldn't stand actually playing the game like that.

I'd say I got more attached to the K1 characters than any other VG game characters I have come across.Word. Bioware did a really good job on it.

HerbieZ
02-19-2006, 09:08 PM
I was upset for that poor Ithorian being bullied on Taris by those kids, i wanted to beat the living hell outta them. I love that Ithorian, he has a particularly trendy taste in clothes.

Also the whole Dustil story and dialogue was played VERY well.

JediMaster12
02-21-2006, 04:21 AM
When I play KOTOR my duty is to my heart meaning that I am a lightsider through and through. I tried killing Jolee and Juhani, I couldn't. TSL I wouldn't mind playing DS because while it was good, it didn't give me the emotional appeal, the exception being the meeting on Dantooine with Kavar, Vrook and Zez Kai-Ell. Seeing them dead, I felt really empty and I didn't kill them, Kreia did. What really bothered me was the torture scene on the Leviathan. Whether it was Bastilla or Carth being tortured, I would just close my eyes but I still had to hear it, the screams. KOTOR did a good job in affecting the emotional spectrum of the gamers. I could go on but I'm rambling now, just trying to not feel the sufffering of others across the world...

Lettuce
02-24-2006, 09:22 PM
I always have trouble playing starting an evil game because I feel guilty for the first hour or two of the game but somehow all the evil stuff I'm doing just becomes funny. Its a pretty rapid change one moment I feel sorry for the guy I just extorted a few mins ago and then a second later I'm laughing as my lightsaber makes short work of the guy who was stupid enough not to give me the credits I wanted.

JediMaster12
03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
KOTOR I just can't be evil I just CAN'T!
TSL I have no problem with it. Maybe it's the inspiration from the manipulative witch Kreia and the fact that I have Achille's guide to help me. :D

Weiser_Cain
03-02-2006, 01:02 AM
I didn't have much trouble at all playing a DS game as I actually am a jerk in real life, I did however reload five times trying to find a way around killing juhani, after that I had no problem wasting anyone else that got in my way.

StaffSaberist
03-02-2006, 01:35 AM
as I actually am a jerk in real life

A true jerk never sees themselves as one. My classmates are perfect examples.

-JoBo-
03-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Yes there are a lot of emotional episodes in KotOR I&II but i must say i don't really understand the not going DS bit.
Sometimes it's so outrageously evil i just can't help but laugh (evil kackle?) about it.

Also i remember my first time playing through KotOR I i just ended up going DS in the Temple because i craved the power of the DS. :)
I was only slightly more DS then LS though.

After that i played a full LS game and then i went 100% DS it's just so much fun to return to the Sith academy after the final test having killed both the Sith masters (double-double cross), and announcing your the Dark Lord Revan when you return :)

Also i just got a kick out of insulting Carth and Juhani because they react so emotionally to your answers.
Being a 100% jerk felt very much less rewarding in TSL.
Kreya does a very good job at bringing your DS character low.
Scolding old witch LOL...

JediMaster12
03-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Kreia I think was better at the DS than blatant killing for no reason. Lies, deceit, creating mistrust are the better ways to go. How else did Palpatine manage to gain control of the Senate and the Republic? Sometimes manipulation from behind the scenes can entrap prey far better than seeing it and trying to kill it with a war cry. You catch my drift?

Point Man
03-07-2006, 01:31 AM
Kreia I think was better at the DS than blatant killing for no reason. Lies, deceit, creating mistrust are the better ways to go. How else did Palpatine manage to gain control of the Senate and the Republic? Sometimes manipulation from behind the scenes can entrap prey far better than seeing it and trying to kill it with a war cry. You catch my drift?
That's my problem with most of the dark side stuff in the games. It's just being a thug. However, I did like the dark side stuff you can do on Korriban in K1, Double-crossing both Yuthura and Uthar, giving Shaardan the wrong sword and watching Uthar kill him, manipulating Lashowe to help you and then killing her, using Mekel to help you kill Uthar's former master and then killing him
Those are better examples of what a Sith does to gain power than "Give me your credits or die!" :emperor:

PazaakPrincess
03-09-2006, 01:32 PM
That's my problem with most of the dark side stuff in the games. It's just being a thug.

Exactly. I don't mind being DS as a way to get a different experience out of the game and perhaps be more sarcastic but the beating up people or mugging them for no reason I can't get behind. Although I have no problem rummaging through their apartments :) How else does one equip oneself and have money to play Pazaak? It would be better in Kotor if there were manipulation choices for DS instead of violence. TSL is better for playing DS for those who tend to the lightside.

I know it's oldhat and a bit much for some but the whole romance thing with Carth always gets me. I also like how you can get him to love you even if your DS that's powerful. I am always happy to reunite him with Dustil, until i realise I (the PC that is) might end up his stepmother which brings up all kinds of issues! Could you imagine introducing your friends "oh yeah and this is my step-mom Darth...I mean Revan"

Bastilla annoys the hell out of me and I was into it when she gets captured and tortured and falls but I find it really hard to kill her at the end and always persuade her back.

I also feel really wrong when slaughtering any of the Rakatans whether the good ones or bad ones.

I just can't kill Ithorians they are so pathetic, they really do tug at the heart strings.

I started a DS TSL game and ended up doing all Peragus LS just out of habbit and did all of Citadel that way and had to make myself go back at least to beginning of Citadel to be more DS but I just wanted to cry killing the Ithorians.

Now that I think about it there is a plus side to the romance-non-romance with Atton in that it's un-requited on both sides which hads another emotional level to it especially when Mira asks you about him and there is no way to be honest about how you feel about him, but man is it frustrating.

JediMaster12
03-09-2006, 03:10 PM
However, I did like the dark side stuff you can do on Korriban in K1, Double-crossing both Yuthura and Uthar, giving Shaardan the wrong sword and watching Uthar kill him, manipulating Lashowe to help you and then killing her, using Mekel to help you kill Uthar's former master and then killing him
Those are better examples of what a Sith does to gain power than "Give me your credits or die!" :emperor:
Yes that is the way of the Sith that I would be proud of to do. That would be provided if there was more of that in the game but alas there is not so I am content on playing LS for KOTOR.

PoiuyWired
03-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I wish there is a little "Torture Bastila" game if you play DS, unfortunately there is not.

TSR
03-13-2006, 06:34 AM
eLOL. if you think about it, they dont exactly help you if you dont want to kill them. Say you are doing LS, and you help Lashowe. If you dont want to kill her and want to just share thepoints, she's like "no way" it's mine. so she fights you. and dies. and you get DS points. That works.

JediMaster12
03-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Really, I never got a DS hit on that. I play more often on the PC so maybe it's different.

StaffSaberist
03-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, on the PC, when you say "No more arguing. We go back together" she says "Over my dead body!" and you fight. No LS or DS.

TSR
03-16-2006, 08:51 AM
meh. still, nice to see there aren't any sadist gits on these forums that find the darkside easy. i personally cant do it. i quit or go lightside.

Lord_MalaKdoggk
10-16-2006, 07:01 PM
I enjoyed mercilessly killing my party members. Mission...ask Zaalbar to kill her (not force persuade) so you kill him as well, stupid cryptic old man and cat-woman, Death-fielded, and Carth left to die on some desolate world in the unknown regions. The only emotion I felt was satisfaction. ;)

Me too. I was LS until that point, but the slaughter of my 'crew' hurt so good. Reminded me of the enjoyment I felt watching bastila getting tortured in the tank aboard the Leviathan. It all came together aboard the star forge when I found Bastila again, we professed our love for each other and joined together to defeat Malak, defeated the alliance, then assumed rule of the galaxy...together.

Being bad never felt so good, with her at my side. Tho' I torture her in secret and she loves it.

Ohhhh, the POWER !!!

RC-1162
10-25-2006, 09:22 AM
well, the only emotion i felt was like: ZOMGWTF!!! when i found out that my PC was Revan. i wasnt too chocked up about losing Bastila though :p

Lord Foley
10-25-2006, 07:50 PM
I got so emotionally into the game, that:

I had played the game so much, and loved it, and was so determined to be light side. My goodness, I was the kindest person you could ever possibly meet. But when I discovered that I actually was Revan, I totally flipped. I got so pissed at Bastilla and went crazy mad and actually managed to turn my alignment completely around and end the game on the Dark Side.

And every time I play through, I get very emotional at the fight with Bastilla on Rakata Prime or whatever it's called. That's the high point of the game for me, really.

The Sith Lords was lacking in experiences like that simply because 1. You can't replace God-Awesome characters like Jolee, Carth, and Bastilla. It was so perfect. And 2. You simply cannot get to know your characters that well in TSL. It feels like they are just random aquaintences that are flying all over the galaxy with you. You never really get to know them... they don't seem real. And 3. Everyone still wants to be Revan. You feel like you still are Revan, but you have to be a totally different person. It's a strange feeling.

HerbieZ
10-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I can't go darksde either, i play it and i feel dirty like im using some cheat or something. as for emotional, the highest emotional point in the game imho was Taris, particularly the beginning. When you are in the apartment and take you first steps out outside and see the upper city. Everything there, music, sounds, backstory, characters everything fitted so well and was excellent. I loved it to bits.

Revan's blood
10-25-2006, 09:17 PM
I can't play dark side either, I just feel so guilty! I remember when I first played F DS and I made Carth really sad/mad, and I was so guilty that my mom actually thought I had stolen something from her. I just have a guilty conscience.
I was pretty bummed when I played TSL and the characters just weren't very... connectable (is that a word?) with. Except for Bao-Dur. I love him! He's my favorite TSL NPC, I just wish you could have actual CONVERSATIONS with him! I mean, come on!
Oh, well, I hope they bring back the characters from KOTOR I in KOTOR III, or at least some of them...

Gurges-Ahter
04-11-2008, 03:19 PM
2) I almost cried (well I did a little) when Malak actually gave his
short speech and died. :cry6:

Can someone remind me of Malak's speech before he dies? I'm drawing a blank.

JCarter426
04-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Malak: Im... [cough] impossible. I... I cannot be beaten. I am the Dark Lord of the Sith.

Revan: This is the way of the dark side, Malak: all things end in death.

Malak: Still... [cough] still spouting the wisdom the Jedi, I see. Maybe there is more truth in their code than I ever believed. I... I cannot help but wonder, Revan. What would have happened had our positions been reversed? What if fate had decreed I would be captured by the Jedi? Could I have returned to the light, as you did? [cough] If you had not led me down the dark path in the first place, what destiny would I have found?

Revan: I am sorry I started you on this path. But you chose to continue down it.

Malak: I suppose... I suppose you speak the truth. I alone must accept responsibility for my fate. I wanted to be Master of the Sith and ruler of the galaxy. But that destiny was not mine, Revan. [cough] It might have been yours, perhaps... but never mine. And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing.

I don't remember what I thought the first time, but now it sounds all angsty and pathetic. :xp:

Still good writing, though.

patient_zero
04-11-2008, 04:17 PM
The Leviathan still gets me, I can't stand seeing Saul torture Carth (I always feel this scene's better when you play female, I imagine Saul enjoys torturing his former protege more than he does zapping Bastila). But then when I give in and tell Saul something he wants to know Carth says that hurts him even more.

At the end I couldn't help but feel a bit sad when Malak died, even after all he'd done. I'd redeemed every other worthless sod I'd come across, so I felt guilty for not being able to help Malak. The ending itself was uplifting, the first time it makes you feel great because it almost feels like you really did save the galaxy.

DS was hard at first, but I dissociated myself by changing to a male PC and playing him up as some sort of raging idiot and skipping most of the "Why are you doing this?" dialogue.

TSL was a bit of a disappointment. I mean, especially after K1 leads you to think you saved everyone, TSL starts off with everything in a state of mediocrity regardless of what Revan chose.

I also didn't get the same level of emotional attachment to the party members. Hell, I felt touched by Canderous' "I'm your man until the end" speech, I loved Jolee's wit, even Juhani had her moments. I felt connected to them, because they all seemed connected to your character. Then you hit TSL and half your crew are only with you because Kreia tells them to be your pawns. You can't talk to them, they don't have feelings and opinions the same way the ones in K1 did. They just have one or two character points that you get to hear when your influence is high enough and then you go back to playing Pazaak with them or asking them the same questions over and over again. You don't bring them around because you want to hear how they react to things, you bring them to specific places in order to grind influence with them. It just doesn't feel the same.

TKA-001
04-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeesh. Either I don't appreciate the story enough to cry about it or everyone here except me needs to get a grip.

Gothic90
04-26-2008, 10:45 AM
I think the problem is the DS path of K1 is just...weird.

JD-Rom
04-26-2008, 12:23 PM
It's just seemed too cruel for me to play on DS, but that doesn't mean I'm full LS, though. I'm more "off-white". I hated the kids on Taris for beating up the Ithorian and threatened them for it. I felt sorry for Sharina Fizark and hoped she had a better future ahead of her by giving her an additional 200 credits for her 500 credit Wraid Plate. I wanted the Selkath judges to know the truth in Sunry's trial, although I didn't like the fact the Sunry was executed. I wanted to beat up the Selkath who hated outsiders and the ones who thought of me as disruptive. I enjoy killing those who deserve it, like those corrupt Czerka officers and Darth Bandon. I wanted to kill Xor myself instead of letting Juhani kill him. I'm never serious around Bastila with her conversations and I constantly tease and make fun of her for being a prissy little Jedi princess and for losing her lightsaber on Taris, as well as playfully flirt with her, and I thought she was a real [female dog] for mocking me and the Jedi in the Temple, so much that I didn't want to join her. Revan and Bastila's relationship never really had much of an impact on me, so I wasn't affected much by her betrayal other than the "WTF WHY DID YOU BETRAY US?! I THOUGHT YOU WAS OUR FRIEND!" reaction.

I ALWAYS persuade for a better reward. Not threaten, but persuade. AND I often bargain with people to lower the price of what they're selling to me, unless they're in need. (like Sharina)

Jvstice
04-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Actually, there are a few LS things and a few DS things I can almost never make myself do. I can't make myself split up the Dantooine couple because of their fathers, and always encourage them to run off together. I've never killed Juhani at the first fight, and always convince her to go back to the Jedi.

I usually kill bendak, and go with the ds option to wipe out all the gangster scum on Taris, but save the undercity dwellers by giving them the journals to the promised land.

On Korriban, I've sided with Yuthura Bann, and I've killed off both masters of the Academy to try to claim it for myself, but I've never sided with Master Uthar. Once I found out about the way to save the droid in the tombs, I've never played through where I've killed or betrayed the Jedi killing droid. Also, once I realized there was a way not to have Carth kill Dustil, I've spared him every time, though it was about half a dozen games before I realized that.

I do have trouble making myself kill mission, so I tend to side against Bastilla in the temple scene just so I don't have to kill mission later and can save my whole party, though I do like the DS cinematic ending better than the prodigal knight thing. On the whole, playing as I'd normally play, the game tends to push me towards grey instead of strongly ls or ds.

There are times I am able to make myself do differently, but it seriously interferes with my enjoyment of the game.

TKA-001
04-26-2008, 01:28 PM
I've never killed Juhani at the first fight, and always convince her to go back to the Jedi.
I think it's worth mentioning that you don't get dark side points for killing Juhani. After all, Obi-wan didn't get dark side points for failing to redeem Vader.

Ctrl Alt Del
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I wonder if anyone noticed that this thread was brought back from the dead.

There are times I am able to make myself do differently, but it seriously interferes with my enjoyment of the game.
While I kill remorselessly everyone that hampers my progress, that's in my way or that I don't like the face of, I agree that Kotor has this thing that makes you feel attached to (some of) the NPCs. And this will probably influence your decision on who to kill next or don't fight at all.

Corinthian
04-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I have an iron-clad and hard heart, and very little can actually make me emotional in a game, unless it's a laugh or black hatred, like when dealing with Jolee Bindo. Malak was too...blatant, to actually make me angry, and he never killed anyone I liked - (Jolee and HK-47.)

Obsidian did a much better job of getting me worked up in games, especially in NWN2. I can't count the number of times I screamed "WHAT!?" at the screen whenever I was obligated to either act like a complete moron or let someone die, then later be forced to work with her killer.

But, no, I don't think I've ever shed tears because of the events of a game, which probably has something to do with my Y Chromosome.

Serpentine Cougar
04-27-2008, 12:59 AM
The game's plot didn't strike me as being too emotional of a story, so I never teared up or felt much of anything other than "Look at all these dialogue options - it's like an interactive Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book!" mixed with a little "That plot twist was so awesome; wish I hadn't gotten it spoiled on LForums!"

So for me the answer is no.

Totenkopf
04-27-2008, 01:41 AM
I've probably tried as many of the variations as possible, either DS or LS. Seems to me the whole point of playing the game is to see how it plays out from as many angles as possible. That basically goes toward increased playability.

Rev7
04-27-2008, 01:43 AM
I too was not overly emotional. I mean, it is only a video game. Although, you can get really caught up in one (I say this only because I have). I didn't cry or anything, I was just surprised in several parts throughout the whole game, in both KotOR 1; KotOR 2.

So my answer is also, no.

TriggerGod
04-27-2008, 02:21 PM
meh. still, nice to see there aren't any sadist gits on these forums that find the darkside easy. i personally cant do it. i quit or go lightside.
I don't find it easy. I find it fun. I was born that way :D
Anyways...
I don't get emotional at the game because of 1 reason:
Its a freaking game! Its not real!

Blix
05-02-2008, 03:25 AM
I think at times both games can be "emotional", but not realy "over" emotional is it was put. I think if you really get into the story and setting and the characters of KOTOR, and then play KOTOR II, the disappearance of these characters can make you feel glum and thirst to know what happened to them and if they survived after KOTOR I.

Lord Spitfire
05-02-2008, 09:03 AM
I think at times both games can be "emotional", but not realy "over" emotional is it was put. I think if you really get into the story and setting and the characters of KOTOR, and then play KOTOR II, the disappearance of these characters can make you feel glum and thirst to know what happened to them and if they survived after KOTOR I.

That's exactly how i felt when i started playing KotOR 2.

Gurges-Ahter
05-02-2008, 01:41 PM
On that note, if K3 resumes Revan's story, the series will have reminded me of Indiana Jones, in the way that I would probably think "why did the 2nd installment deviate from the original storyline?" They had a good thing going with K1 and a sequel following Revan would have been appropriate. Or perhaps they will tie it all in nicely (if there ever is a K3) and I will have forgotten that K2 disappointed me by deviating from K1.

Totenkopf
05-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Given the extent of the damage incurred by the jedi civil war, I'd be surprised if TSL had taken a somewhat less murky direction than it did. Rushing it to market did hurt the game, but it's still pretty good nonetheless (despite its many flaws/gaps).

Lord Foley
05-25-2008, 07:39 PM
I play dark side more often than not. Rofl.

Seriously, though, I tend to see the game more like reading a book written in the first person rather than me actually doing things. Sometimes I think the story can be more compelling when the protagonist is the bad guy. Though normally I roleplay, and don't have him do random irrational evil things just because he's evil.

When I play light side, I find myself having a hard time putting up with some people. Sometimes it's just more satisfying to chop the guy up.

When I first played KotOR, I was playing very light side up until Malak told said that PC was Revan. Honestly, that moment made me feel very used, and I finished out the game Dark Side. It actually played out very well, seeing as the last planet was Korriban, the perfect place to drag Revan down when he was vulnerable to seduction.

The Sith Lords was pretty Epic for me too- when I played that one, I felt like the Exile was not a good person from the beginning, and he went Dark right away. But the way I played the game, I wound up defending Kunda, or whatever it's called, and Vrook actually lived when I killed all the other Jedi. I felt a little bad when I went to face him at Dantooine and he said "I know what you have done to the others."

Gurges-Ahter
05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
I agree that playing DS makes more sense in some situations, but I often feel like playing DS means being a thug in K1 and K2. There are some interesting parts when going DS, but most of them seem to involve ruthless & meaningless killing, which bothers me when I'm attempting to play as I think I would act if it were me.

Lord Foley
05-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, like I said, I roleplay, and don't have him do random irrational evil things just because he's evil.

I like evil characters to have motives rather than just saying "Give me your credits or you die" to everyone.

Gurges-Ahter
05-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Yeah, like I said,

I like evil characters to have motives rather than just saying "Give me your credits or you die" to everyone.Agreed - that's why I have a problem going full DS.

TKA-001
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah. The dark side in KOTOR has no character.

Darth_Yuthura
06-14-2008, 02:05 PM
I did get very emotional when seeing the tragedies that happened because of acts I took. They weren't real, but I still felt it. I thought the games Kotor and kotor II were better than the movies and I loved some of the fanfics that came from them.

In "Return from Exile" By machievelli, there were times when I cried because of the strength that Visas and the Exile had after she met with the Council. When Visas said that she would protect the exile with her life, she wailed "That's what they said!" That was painful to read and I could almost feel like I was part of the story. Although that's from a fic, but was based off the game.

I also took great satisfaction when I convinced Yuthura Ban to leave the Sith. It makes me smile every time I save her. The story of each game were well done and better than the original trilogy.

TKA-001
06-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Blatant, exaggerated self-glorifying Mary Sue fanboyism? Nδ, not at all!

Ben Bryddia
06-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Yes, indeed the Leviathen hurt. But the nI felt the same way after losing Jan in Dark Forces II, or maybe that was just me worried about how I would survive the freighter crashing.

PoiuyWired
06-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Yes, indeed the Leviathen hurt. But the nI felt the same way after losing Jan in Dark Forces II, or maybe that was just me worried about how I would survive the freighter crashing.

Losing Jan in Dark Forces II(I think it should actually be JK II) is THE INCENTIVE for me to go DS in the first playthru. I am trashing anything and everything after that scene.

TKA-001
06-25-2008, 08:16 PM
But Kyle deliberately κills Jan in the Dark Side path in Dark Forces II. Seems a little contradictory to me.