PDA

View Full Version : Could Lightsabers ever become reality?

Nedak
11-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Sence SW is Si-FI maybe in a few 100 (or less) years technology could become so advanced that we could make something like or similar to a lightsaber. Please tell me what you think.:lsduel:

Kain
11-30-2005, 02:32 AM
I wouldn't doubt it could be done eventually. But I'm sure its nothing that the top warfare developers are looking to make either.

Darth_Terros
11-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Nope its just Sci-fi nonsense.

http://www.exn.ca/starwars/lightsaber.cfm

Abit about why you couldnt have a real lightsaber here

But i guess the real problem is you can really loop a laser like how a lightsaber works.

El Sitherino
11-30-2005, 01:33 PM
It's not impossible, just not possible at this moment.

RC-1162
11-30-2005, 02:27 PM
you mean plausible.
and i think if people just put their minds to it, they can create one.

El Sitherino
11-30-2005, 04:56 PM
you mean plausible.
No, I accidently hit the "l" key.

Anyway, chances are if a "lightsaber" is made it won't be a laser, per se, but rather something like a plasma torch.

There's also the factor of if we find a way to be able to contain the matter that is light. Then who knows what limitations we'll break down.

The Doctor
11-30-2005, 05:04 PM
If they could learn how to generate an invisible energy barrier that could be retracted at will, and superheat it, it could work. But that kind of technology (basically a Star Trek like forcefield) is far beyond human capacity at the moment.

Darth_Terros
11-30-2005, 06:50 PM
If they could learn how to generate an invisible energy barrier that could be retracted at will, and superheat it, it could work. But that kind of technology (basically a Star Trek like forcefield) is far beyond human capacity at the moment.

Doctor i applaud you!

Alkonium
11-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Sence SW is Si-FI maybe in a few 100 (or less) years technology could become so advanced that we could make something like or similar to a lightsaber. Please tell me what you think.:lsduel:
You're forgetting that in the Star Wars galaxy, they could travel to the other side of the galaxy and back in mere moments for twenty-five thousand years. Keep that in mind.

The Doctor
11-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Doctor i applaud you!
Thank you. And you spelt my name right! As far as I can remember, everybody either spells it Docter or calls me Doc.

To add to my earlier post:
Since the wuestion was whether they could exist in 100 years, then the answer is yes, maybe they could use something similar to what I described above in 100 years.

darthzeta
11-30-2005, 07:31 PM
umm yes light sabers could be real just not now . and hey it could of been a plasma torch instead of a laser. it was a seber which produced light and could cut though matter. also if you look closely they have a shadow in the original movies. which means science is advancing in just 30 years beyond imagination.

{HaD}DARTH MAUL
12-07-2005, 03:36 PM
well actually the U.S. military has lasers that can go from point A to point B, so technically we have "lightsabers" but it is just a matter of concentrating the beam and enabling a beam that is self stabalized which would enable it to look like a sword.

Pho3nix
12-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Yes, Definately.

Jeff
12-10-2005, 12:35 PM
No.

d5c
12-12-2005, 05:33 PM
yes but in 256 years not 100 or less(not that your wrong but tats my therory)

JediConsularAD
12-12-2005, 05:49 PM
no it is not possible to create a lightsaber at this time but i do not know about the future, the basic problems is that the laser would need something to reflect off of and also if you did that the laser would mereley be a torch and only have aesthetic value.

Commander Obi-Wan
12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
No.

As Darth Moeller said, NO.

Cercueil
12-12-2005, 07:11 PM
you cant say, "no" definitivly. in a few centuries who knows what we will be creating as im sure, our forefathers would have chucked at the thought of some of the things we have know and wrote them off (and burned you at the stake for it, no doubt) even mentioning the ability to fly, travel great distances in mear hours or minutes, adn even "electronics."

lets try not to dismiss advancements in thought as they only bring us backwards.

zerted
12-13-2005, 05:50 PM
The closest thing we have towards lightsbers (and its pretty close). http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/15/132211&tid=14

Hallucination
12-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Stick your finger in its path and you only feel a cool breeze,
I'd like to see that deflecting laser bullets and blocking other 2-inch-long laser pens.

PoiuyWired
12-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Well, I don't see how the deflection part would work though.

Maybe a Laser Blade can be done in the future, but it is not going to be really practical.

Its like how the Japanese try to build real giant robots... as cool as they are most are not practical. So yes in the future we may be able to build a gundam/vultron... but it is kinda useless other than the cool factor.

That having said, I would still want them :3 Cause, carrying a red saber is just cool.

edlib
12-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Unless you also possess the force powers of a Jedi, (even if they did ever manage to create one,) it will be useless as a combat weapon in any future human conflict you can imagine.

Most reputable scientists and physicists say that building such a thing (a real Star Wars-type lightsaber, that is...) is utterly impossible however, in the universe we currently inhabit. The physics just simply don't allow it.

El Sitherino
12-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Then again they also don't allow for super massive black holes, yet those exist. Which is why we can't exactly give an absolute no.

edlib
12-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Fair enough.

But I can't imagine a whole lot of dedicated research and development on the lightsaber front in the near, or even distant future. So even if they turn out to be allowed theoretically, I still have serious doubts that we will ever see one.

Not a highly practical weapon technology,.. unless, like I said, you DO just happen to have Jedi reflexes.

TSR
12-17-2005, 06:00 AM
as edlib said, unless you have the reflexes of a jedi, then youd do more damage to the yourself than to the enemy... IF they were made of course. The jedi always know where the blade of their sabre is, but theonly time youd know where it is is when you feel it slice your abdomen in half when you try to do some sort of stylish spin or something

El Sitherino
12-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Fair enough.

But I can't imagine a whole lot of dedicated research and development on the lightsaber

Indeed, unless some eccentric Star Wars fan funds it. XD

Not a highly practical weapon technology,.. unless, like I said, you DO just happen to have Jedi reflexes.
Indeed, which is why I think if we had something even remotely close to a lightsaber, it won't be so much a weapon as it would be a nifty little tool.

Darca Lar
12-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Im not saying it cant be done, but in the next 20 to 100 years, i extremely doubt that a lightsaber at least how we picture it will not be even close to being made. Maybe in like 2 more centuries or so, maybe...just maybe a lightsaber shall appear as if from nowhere and we wont be around to enjoy it in all its glory.

Darth_Death
01-08-2006, 04:14 PM
i have herd of some nut cases who really have tried to make lightsabers and they all hurt themselves in the process

getting of the subject but i dont no about u but my singniture is not popping up with my reply

Nedak
01-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Maybe in the future they will have somthing that deflects bullets like a lightsaber shield but the shield can not hurt you in any way.

MachineCult
01-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Maybe in the future they will have somthing that deflects bullets like a lightsaber shield but the shield can not hurt you in any way.
No, the bullet would just crumple and fall to the ground, like bulletproof glass, theres no way a bullet could be deflected like a blaster shot from a Lightsaber.

CommanderKane
01-11-2006, 02:57 PM
I read in Popular Science magazine a few years ago that some Massachusetts Institute of Technology students got together and made somewhat of a workable prototype just for the fun of it.

Still, the technology is not that far off.

MachineCult
01-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Yes it is.

Fangman
01-17-2006, 05:36 PM
I decided to do some looking around to see if Lightsabres were possible, came up with this diagram.

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/0505/figA-C.large.gif

This would show how to create a "laser" which traveled in a straight line, and ended at one point. Only problem is, it talks about the Blade core being an element call Metachlorium. Such an element doesn't exist. I tried to look it up, and failed. However, it's Atomic number is for a theoretical element called Untrioctium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untrioctium) , which is belived to be the "final element". I don't know anything about "plasmons", although i'll try to find something on it.

Such an element could have some interesting properties, and would definatly generate a lot of energy of any light put through it. The Untrioctium laser would be bound to give off a lot of heat, and energy to "push back" anything it comes in contact with, or more likly, incinerate.

Such a "blade" could be wrapped in a force field with a Positive charge. If strong enough, this could deflect most bullets (the charge on an air-born bullet is Positive due to friction). If 2 of these blades were to come in contact, provided the charge was strong enough, they would repel.

We can easily Create a Negative field (EM field) and a positive field is a bit more difficult, but possible.

I don't think it's impossible to develop a Lightsabre like that in the movies. Just imagine what it would be like trying to tell Ancient greeks that you could split the atom, which they "knew" (note the "") was the smallest partical in the universe, they would never belive you. Yet it is common knowledge that you can. So who knows what we will be able to do in the next 100 years.

I haven't done much physics or chemistry in the last year, so feel free to correct any errors i have made. I'm not saying this is the way, just giving you something to think about. I will do some more reading on this, and correct any errors i think i may have made.

Of course, you could try to do what this Couple (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/4575291.stm) did...

Darth_Terros
01-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Something about it doesnt sit right with me looks like a hoax.

Alkonium
01-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Well, that would work better that how I was planning on building a lightsaber(replacing the bulb of a flashlight with an amethyst crystal).

Fangman
01-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Something about it doesnt sit right with me looks like a hoax.

That thought has just occured to me, just gonna check out the main site for that diagram.

Darth_Terros
01-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Well, that would work better that how I was planning on building a lightsaber(replacing the bulb of a flashlight with an amethyst crystal).

I dunno thats a pretty sound idea! PM me the results!

Alkonium
01-17-2006, 05:47 PM
I dunno thats a pretty sound idea! PM me the results!
Ok, I'll post them once I get a flashlight to test it with.

Nedak
01-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Ok, I'll post them once I get a flashlight to test it with.

Don't forget the batteries!

mrGoodsoup
01-18-2006, 10:06 AM
I've always wanted to ask a reputable sci-fi nerd-gathering one question about light-sabers... Would not a modern (led-based) shotgun blast totaly own a lightsaber wearing fruitcake? (not Chuck Norris and/or Vader)

Darth_Terros
01-20-2006, 04:40 PM
I've always wanted to ask a reputable sci-fi nerd-gathering one question about light-sabers... Would not a modern (led-based) shotgun blast totaly own a lightsaber wearing fruitcake? (not Chuck Norris and/or Vader)

a jedi fruit cake or a normal fruitcake with a lightsaber?

if jedi they'd probably just use the force to slow the shot down

if it was a normal person well even a normal person couldnt block a blaster bolt with a lightsaber

MachineCult
01-20-2006, 04:53 PM
A lightsaber would probably disentigrate a buckshot round.

01-22-2006, 12:57 PM
they probably have them now governments wouldent tell us

Alkonium
01-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Possibly, there are a lot of things the government doesn't tell us, like their plans for real life Star Destroyers, and Area 51. Oh yes, and I will post photos of my working lightsaber once I build it(have the amethyst crystal, need a flashlight).

MachineCult
01-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I doubt it very much.

Possibly, there are a lot of things the government doesn't tell us, like their plans for real life Star Destroyers, and Area 51. Oh yes, and I will post photos of my working lightsaber once I build it(have the amethyst crystal, need a flashlight).
lol, you can see perfectly clear images of Area 51 on Google Earth.
That brings up an argument against real life lightsabers, what coloured crystal can withstand the energy of a lightsaber blade?

Alkonium
01-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Well, I'm going to use an amethyst crystal, and those are purple.

MachineCult
01-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Yes and i'm sure if the energy produced by a lightsabers blade is enough to burn through a blast door thicker than the blades length, then an amethyst crystal doesn't stand much chance against the sabers unfocused energy does it?

Alkonium
01-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Keep in mind my method of shoving it on a flashlight in place of the bulb, or touching its filament.

MachineCult
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
lol, and what would that do?

Hallucination
01-31-2006, 07:56 PM
^It would give him a purple flashlight. Which, as cool as it would be to have have, just isn't a lightsaber.

edlib
01-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Probably make a poor flashlight at that. :dozey:

Hallucination
01-31-2006, 08:19 PM
^But still purple. It would be a cool little gadget to have around, not a tool.

The Doctor
01-31-2006, 08:39 PM
You could also get a purple flashlight by wrapping a piece of purple plastic over the bulb or something...

Hallucination
01-31-2006, 08:46 PM
^True, but plastic isn't a precious rock;).

MachineCult
02-01-2006, 08:26 AM
lol, amethyst is hardly precious, and a crystal covering a flashlight would probably block out most of the light.

Hallucination
02-01-2006, 08:22 PM
^Thanks for correcting me, I'm don't know much abot rocks.;) Atleast we can see someone waste time and effort to put a shiny rock infront of a flashlight to make a lightsabre. :)

RC-1162
02-03-2006, 06:41 AM
so did you use the rock alkonium?

Alkonium
02-03-2006, 08:14 AM
so did you use the rock alkonium?
ACtually I haven't gotten a flashlight to use for it.

Nedak
02-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I hope you guys know that Alkonium is just kidding right and hes not serious...

edlib
02-03-2006, 10:58 AM
The coolest looking flashlight ever! (http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=SMT+ILLUMINATION+TOOLS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=95-369&SDesc=MaxLife%26%238482%3B+369%26%238482%3B+Flashl ight)
We have one of these at work.

Would make a killer lightsaber handle.

RC-1162
02-03-2006, 01:49 PM
@Sala: i know. as if a flashlight is that hard to come by. i was just being sarcastic. even if his "lightsaber" could cut through anything. there would have to be another electronics gizmo to limit the length of the "blade".

Nanda Keon
02-03-2006, 04:46 PM
it is impossible, no blade length limit and also would they sell it publically if they actually managed to make one, think about it WMD big time.

Fealiks
02-04-2006, 04:45 PM
I had an idea;

maybe a solid "sword" could eject from the hilt with a little deflecting plate thing at the topand bottom.. A powerful laser would then go strait along the metal sword thing bouncing off the top and bottom so that the blade length never changes! :D:D

all ideas and stupidity ©2006 Fealiks™ all rights reserved for my arse

Nanda Keon
02-05-2006, 06:15 AM
yeah but the laser would just cut through the deflective plates

Fealiks
02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
thats why theyre deflective.... :rolleyes:

anyway it looks like we might be one step further to the real deal... :saberb: (http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/true-3-dimensional-display#more-744)

MachineCult
02-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Could Lightsabers ever become reality?
No, now lets leave this thread.

Kurgan
02-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Well looks like you got your wish!

If Star Wars lightsabers are dependant on the other fantasy technology in SW then it should be obvious why we won't see them as depicted in the movies. Maybe something sort of similar to it, but the main problem is getting a blade so powerful from such a minaturized power source. It could never function as described in the EU since these magic crystals don't exist. Likewise we have no Jedi to wield them, but anyway. I imagine some giant beam with a handle at both ends that is as big as a building with all the energy of a continent powering it or something, but I'm no scientist... What would be the point? No Geek (though maybe Bill Gates) has enough money to waste on such a thing...

Nedak
02-13-2006, 10:59 PM
I live by Bill Gates lol.. He has a Lightsaber in his backyard that he practices on all of his cash.

Kurgan
02-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah. He could spend all day cutting up piles of money with it each day and still be the richest man in the world. ;)

Fealiks
02-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Clicky (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/Maphisto86/Star%20Wars)

MachineCult
02-14-2006, 04:37 PM
What is it? Photobucket never seems to work with me.

HUGOMAND
02-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Nice to see all you kind SWG peeps in here :)

Seriously, creating a lightsaber. What good would it make? Imagine if I stood with an AK47 and you had a lightsaber, who would win ? ^_^ And how would you brake a laser like that in the middle of the air. Impossible I say.

Fealiks
02-16-2006, 03:15 PM
sorry seem to have messed up a bit there... thats better. (http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/true-3-dimensional-display) Just use a cutting laser rather than a normal laser and voila

darthzeta
02-23-2006, 04:17 PM
lol. i said it once. lots of practice. it could be used as a tool or quik and easy weapon. how many people carry knives? and the big robots. lol well if you can get them into space they would be a valuable tool. well the lightsaber doesnt need a reflect if its a plasma sword. laser does not cast showdows and the origanls do. they where sticks with digi while the new ones where all digi.

jomaster
03-30-2006, 11:24 AM
actually one way of creating a sort of lightsaber would be to wrap a wire (very good conducter of a wire) round a non-iron core (if its iron u make an electromagnet) then pump alot of electricity through it while it doesn't make it slice easily through blast doors or deflect laser bolts it does get extremely hot and burns most things it touches quite severly the only problem with this is portability you could use an inverter and alot of 9 volt batteries in a pack strapped to you somehow although it would make for a good weapon :D

TSR
03-31-2006, 12:36 PM
bit unusable in the off hand. also, it's not just iron that would make an electromagnet. most of the transition metals in their pure elemental form can become electromagnetised, and some compunds can be chemically converted into electromagnetisable matter. But thats all complictaed. and i dont think that iron could take the heat, nor the power cells. you would probably need something very specific to work it.

jomaster
03-31-2006, 04:38 PM
yeah how about a non-metal then like say a piece of wood bearing in mind you'd have to replace it after about 10 mins of usage lol
i dunno for a real style lightsaber we're talking about the power of a nuclear reactor in a small handle but lets just say in some far up ahead future we can actually do this they would cause mass chaos if they fell into the wrong hands although there is always the approach HUGOMAND took......

Imagine if I stood with an AK47 and you had a lightsaber, who would win ?.

Darth_Death
03-31-2006, 06:39 PM
I want to beleive they will but sadly i dont think they wont.

Kurgan
03-31-2006, 10:29 PM
lol. i said it once. lots of practice. it could be used as a tool or quik and easy weapon. how many people carry knives? and the big robots. lol well if you can get them into space they would be a valuable tool. well the lightsaber doesnt need a reflect if its a plasma sword. laser does not cast showdows and the origanls do. they where sticks with digi while the new ones where all digi.

Well the old ones weren't digital (I don't think, I thought they were painted or rotoscoped), and the new ones are still using sticks in just about all cases (a few cases they're completely digital, or the blade is digital in a few cases like turning on a saber). And thus you can see saber shadows in the prequels as well (check the ROTS DVD during the Dooku/Obi-Wan/Anakin fight!).

Niner_777
04-01-2006, 09:10 PM
One kid told me that all we needed to make lightsabers, that we didn't already have, was a crystal from Pluto. lol... seriously.

Darth_Death
04-01-2006, 10:09 PM
One kid told me that all we needed to make lightsabers, that we didn't already have, was a crystal from Pluto. lol... seriously.

Ah HAH!!! I knew it. *runs away and gets into a rocket for pluto*

MasterRogue
04-06-2006, 11:20 PM
i believe they can and WILL, all we (humanity as of this time now) need to creat is a power source powerfull enough and small enough. thats it.

Nedak
04-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Well spoken... Anyone else?

MasterRogue
04-07-2006, 12:09 AM
(like your sig Sala..o/t)

St. Jimmy
04-12-2006, 04:17 AM
They could but it would would take a while for any one to make them
No i'm not sciency so I'm not going to make a suggestion ( I like the flashlight idea)

†Saint_Killa†
04-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Make it as a childrens toy and end up cutting their heads off.

St. Jimmy
04-16-2006, 07:57 AM
Nice dude, real nice.

Astrotoy7
04-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Hmmm... I think this thread has had its day, and the some.

closaged.

mtfbwya