PDA

View Full Version : Commandos vs. Spartans

Pages : [1] 2

Bomberman65
04-05-2006, 12:48 AM
If you had one Commando vs. one Spartan who do you think would win and why??

Niner_777
04-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Good question. If it was one squad of commandos vs. a single Spartan, the commandos would win, no doubt. However, in one on one, I'm not sure. They both have personal sheilds. I'd guess that the Spartan had better armor, and is probably stronger due to its augmentations. Where the spartans fail is their lack of weapons. They can carry two weapons and two types of gernades, whereas the commandos can cary a pistol, their DC-17/m with blaster, sniper, and anti-armor attachments, and an additonal gun, as well as five kinds of gernades.

The spartan's gernades don't really have much use except for blowing stuff up. I think that if the commando threw a EC gernade, the EC could take out the sheild, as well as the Spartan's computers in its suit, making him much weaker, as the suit gives a Spartan much of his strengh. Also, the commandos have the advantage of bacta, which seems to be more effective than just a med pack.

In my opinion, the commando would win because of more diverse and useful weapons.

Kurgan
04-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Who are these "spartans" you're talking about (and where can I look them up)? Obviously not the real life Spartans from antiquity...

And you can also compare to the multiplayer version of the Republic Commando, which can only carry two weapons (each attachment for the DC-17 counts as a "weapon") and three types of grenades (the fourth type isn't even available in multiplayer). What is this "fifth" type of grenade? There's only four in the game: sonic detonators, thermal detonators, EC detonators, and the Diversionary Flash detonators (SP only).

The ammo capacity of your guns is also smaller in the MP portion of the game. While more limiting, overall the MP presentation is probably more realistic for an individual commando (though carrying three attachments would seem logical enough, plus a pistol, among a squad it would make more sense to break up the weapons between them rather than giving each person everything).

Bacta of course works differently in MP vs. SP. In SP if you're not using a station (which takes time to use), you have to have somebody on your team revive you (which also takes time and only brings you back to half health). In MP you just run over a bacta tank and it instantly restores you to full almost instantly.

See the link to "BOOT CAMP" in my sig for further details. ;)

Bomberman65
04-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah the Spartans are from Halo thats what master cheif is. And I'm using a commando with the usall DC-17m attachments, eg. the blaster, sniper and anti armor and a sidearm/secondary weapon. No not a sidearm and secondary weapon just one.

Niner_777
04-06-2006, 05:04 PM
What is this "fifth" type of grenade? There's only four in the game:
You're right, my mistake. There are only four types of gernades in RC.

Also, it probably is better to campare the two through multiplayer, though I can't imagine a commando being sent off without at least his main weapon, and a sidearm.

Btw, what are you using for the spartan's weapons?

Kurgan
04-06-2006, 06:31 PM
In Multiplayer RC, the Republic Commando gets the DC-17m with blaster attachment (40 rounds per clip, 4 clips: for a total of 160 shots), the DC-17s pistol and 2 Thermal Detonators. That's it! (Trandoshans are equipped exactly the same except substitute the Trandoshan Repeater for the DC-17m blaster... the gun is equal in power and rate of fire in MP). Obviously this also means they both have access to their regenerative personal shields and wrist blades (with their larger weapon).

BOOT CAMP! (http://www.republiccommando.net/index.php?action=bootcamp&page=weapons#pistol) ;)

Bomberman65
04-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Well I'll set it up like this,
Commando = DC-17m blaster attachment. (40 rounds per clip, 4 clips: for a total of 160 shots), DC-17s pistol and 2 Thermal Detonators.
Spartan = MA5B Assault Rifle. (60 rounds per clip, 3 clips: for a total of 180 shots), M6D Pistol, and 2 M9 HE-DP Grenades.
Who would win????

Niner_777
04-07-2006, 04:17 PM
That's a really tough decision. Who do you think would win, Bomberman65?

Bomberman65
04-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Well I'd have to say the Commando cause Commandos are more educated in stealth tatics and they can take a hell of a lot more beating then a Spartan. So my guess would be the Commando, but it would be a very close battle. Oh and call me 65 or BM for short.

Niner_777
04-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I kind of thought the commando would win too. It seems to me like plasma, from the DC-17m, would cut through the Spartan's shields before the bullets cut through the commando's sheids. Oh, and sure thing BM.

Bomberman65
04-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah so how do you think a Commando would fair against a Hunter from Halo???

Niner_777
04-07-2006, 07:18 PM
If a hunter is what I think it is, (Huge armored thing with the spines) then the commando would probably win. I think this mainly because the hunters aren't very manuverable, and don't the hunters have a weak spot on their back? The commando could easily outmanuver the hunter and blast it in the back, right. I haven't actually played Halo.

Bomberman65
04-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Oh you should. Its not as good as Republic Commando imo but its still a good FPS.

Reclaimer
04-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Read the Halo Books, and you will see why Spartans would win.

They are trained from the age of 6, taught the art of Warfare, Rules of Engagement, and Stealth, and only the strong survive.

Spartans would win, and read Halo: The Fall of Reach to see why.

RaV™
04-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Lets refer to the games shall we? I'm siding with RC's because what everyone else gave a reason for.

Bomberman65
04-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Yeah I've got the Halo books but you read the Republic Commando books and you'll see why I think the Commando would win not the Spartan.

Reclaimer
04-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah I've got the Halo books but you read the Republic Commando books and you'll see why I think the Commando would win not the Spartan.

I have the Commando books, yet I still don't see how they would beat Spartans.

Bomberman65
04-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Well thats what I think and we all have our own opinions and I'll respect yours that the Spartan would win.

shinobichan
04-10-2006, 12:59 AM
If you had one Commando vs. one Spartan who do you think would win and why??

As far as combat skills are concerned, with Republic Commandos being grown and trained at accelerated rates, and a Spartan II soldier being trained non-stop since age 6, I'd say that they're even.

I think a squad of 4 RC's would be an even match for a Spartan. RC's have a number of advantages though. Nevermind the weapons and ammo counts represented in the game; 4 guys can carry more gear into battle than just 1 (4 guys that are probably just as resourceful as a Spartan II.) RC Katarn armor protects reasonably well against most types of damage. and with all the other specialaized gear that they can carry, it's no wonder that they're the best commando force in the SW galaxy.

On the other hand, Spartans are tough . Genetically and cybernetically enhances with stronger bones, better hearing and vision, and faster reaction times, Spartans in Mjolnir armor have been known to drop out of aircraft at 40,000 feet with no parachutes of any kind and still land intact. they do that in the 3rd Halo novel, but if you've played halo 2, you can fall from any height without damage, provided the fall isn't endless or anything.

Their armor further enhances a Spartan's strength and reaction times (in game, you can flip overturned warthog LRV's, even tanks.) Their weapons may be a little bit more low tech (if you discount Covenant plasma weapons), but a key advantage to their armor was always the fact that they could house AI networks (the Master Chief had Cortana piggybacked in his armor.) It allows for a Spartan to be able to go into combat and have reliable intel when there hasn't been any reconaisance. For instance, I wouldn't be suprised if an AI like Cortana could hack into an RC squad's radio so that the spartan could listen in.

So yea, in short, RC's are not dumb, there are four of them and one of the Spartan, have powerful weapons and have more options available in figuring out how to engage a Spartan soldier. Spartans and just as intelligent, have better armor, and has an AI built into the armor to further extend his or her eyes and ears.

Bomberman65
04-10-2006, 05:58 AM
Yeah you have some good points there shinobichan. So when you put it like that I think that a Commando and a Spartan are even.

shinobichan
04-10-2006, 11:30 PM
It would be an awesome fight. Both the Commandos and the Spartan would have to pull out all the stops in order to win. Commandos would probably work together to flank the Spartan, corner him, limit his movement and then go for a kill. While the Spartan would try and stick to shadows, working to terminate the Commandos one by one.

I always though Spartans, if anything, compared to ARC Troopers more than they compared to Republic Commandos. Arc Troopers and Spartans perform alot of the same type of missions.

Bomberman65
04-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Hey yeah your right Spartans and ARC are nearly the same. So yeah I think the question would be who would win out of a Spartan vs. a ARC??
Or better yet Master Chief (The last of his kind) vs Boba Fett (The man just can't seem to die. I mean Luke, the Salacc, you just can't seem to kill him)

JokotoFett
04-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Master Chief vs. Bobba Fett? That would be one nice fight.

Bomberman65
04-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Hell yeah

Niner_777
04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
That's another good question. I'd think Master Chief because I'd think that he is stronger and faster. I'd also think that Master Chief's armor is better, though that might not be true. After all, Boba's armor withstood the sarlac pit. I'd have to say that Boba Fett's bountyhunter gadgets and weapons are probably better than chief's. Boba might have more training because he was trained at a young age, just like master chief, but he trained with blasters, not throwing rocks at guards.

I'd have to say that Boba Fett would probably win. Even though Master Chief is unnaturally strong and has good armor, nobody knows how strong Boba's armor is, Boba is better equipped, has a jetpack for fast getaways, and just has better genes.

Bomberman65
04-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah that would be understandible.

shinobichan
04-13-2006, 09:54 AM
I agree that's a good question too. I think that it's another even match. The Chief might be stronger and faster, and especially resistant to damage due to the armor. But I agree with Niner that Boba has better weapons. I think Boba probably has slightly better combat skills; he's had it tougher than the Chief, being that Boba was orphaned at around age 7 when Mace took Jango's head. Boba would know how to survive in a harsh galaxy.

I'd have to question the strength of Mandolorian iron though. Boba did survive the Sarlacc pit, but from what I understand, Boba did lose his original armor in the process, and had to take the imposter Jodo Kast's Mando armor at a later date (Another testament to Boba's combat ability, maybe?)

In the end, I think it boils down to who can spot the other first. If the Chief can get the drop on Boba and manage to get in close, I think the Chief can destroy him, with with his hands or with shotgun blasts to the face. Not easy to accomplish, since Boba does have a jetpack and all. I think Boba's best bet would be to keep the Chief at a distance. His jetpack mounted rocket could probably eliminate the Chief's shielding, leaving the Chief open to other rockets fired from Boba's wrist gauntlet, or ranged shots from his EE-3 Blaster Rifle (one of my favorite sci-fi weapons)

DARTH_PLAGUS
04-14-2006, 07:59 AM
I agree that's a good question too. I think that it's another even match. The Chief might be stronger and faster, and especially resistant to damage due to the armor. But I agree with Niner that Boba has better weapons. I think Boba probably has slightly better combat skills; he's had it tougher than the Chief, being that Boba was orphaned at around age 7 when Mace took Jango's head. Boba would know how to survive in a harsh galaxy.

I'd have to question the strength of Mandolorian iron though. Boba did survive the Sarlacc pit, but from what I understand, Boba did lose his original armor in the process, and had to take the imposter Jodo Kast's Mando armor at a later date (Another testament to Boba's combat ability, maybe?)

In the end, I think it boils down to who can spot the other first. If the Chief can get the drop on Boba and manage to get in close, I think the Chief can destroy him, with with his hands or with shotgun blasts to the face. Not easy to accomplish, since Boba does have a jetpack and all. I think Boba's best bet would be to keep the Chief at a distance. His jetpack mounted rocket could probably eliminate the Chief's shielding, leaving the Chief open to other rockets fired from Boba's wrist gauntlet, or ranged shots from his EE-3 Blaster Rifle (one of my favorite sci-fi weapons)

We all know the spartan would win because their piston anti armor rounds you have tot ake everything into effect,. Spartan throws a frag grendae takes out shield of the commando and fires one shot from his pistol in the head and the commando is down. either way spartans can use plasma rifles.

DARTH_PLAGUS
04-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Why would you think that boba was orphaned at age 7, what about the chief did you ever read the books, John is his name and he was thrown out into the jungle with a few other people at 12 yearsa old after he was taken for about a couple of years and expected to find his way back. I recommend you read the halo books.

shinobichan
04-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Why would you think that boba was orphaned at age 7, what about the chief did you ever read the books, John is his name and he was thrown out into the jungle with a few other people at 12 yearsa old after he was taken for about a couple of years and expected to find his way back. I recommend you read the halo books.

I have read the Halo books. John 117 also grew up with all of his brothers and sisters; all the other fellow Spartans. The chief had people he could rely on. I don't recall the same deal for Boba.

The Chief was a wreck in the 2nd Halo novel too, when he thought all the other Spartans were dead. Almost got ambushed by a Covenant pincer move just after he crash landed on Halo. No competent soldier would not realize that they'd have to fight differently if there was only 1 of him and more of the enemy.

I wouldn't give the HE pistol too much credit either. It still takes about 5-7 shots to down a shielded elite. Republic Commando armor may be weaker than the Chief's armor, but it's not worthless

Niner_777
04-14-2006, 09:18 AM
I think that in both senarios each opponent has the potential to beat the other one, and rather quickly. However, if a Spartan throws a frag gernade, the commando(or Boba Fett) isn't going to stand still and let it take out his sheild. He's going to get out of the way. Same applies for if a commando throws a gernade, as well as for bullets. No matter how good of an aim each is, they are both going to make themselves hard targets. That is what is going to make the fight as interesting as it would be.

shinobichan
04-14-2006, 11:15 AM
I think that in both senarios each opponent has the potential to beat the other one, and rather quickly. However, if a Spartan throws a frag gernade, the commando(or Boba Fett) isn't going to stand still and let it take out his sheild. He's going to get out of the way. Same applies for if a commando throws a gernade, as well as for bullets. No matter how good of an aim each is, they are both going to make themselves hard targets. That is what is going to make the fight as interesting as it would be.

I agree Niner. I think it really comes down to their combat skill and not necessarily the weapons they carry.

I know I gave an example of how I thought a fight between The Chief and Fett might go. I would like to point out that it's kinda hard to debate this topic on the weapons aspect. Who's to say that the Chief's HE pistol (or the sniper rifle) can or can't punch through Mando armor in one or 2 hits? Is a bullet from the MA5B assault rifle the equivelant of a blaster bolt from a DC-17m? Do grenades have the same effect on the corresponding opponent's armor? Could a commando's ec grenade effectively shut down the Chief's powered armor, and kill Cortana in the process? etc. etc.

Also, Plagus, I said that I thought that Boba Fett had a rougher childhood than the Master Chief. I was supporting my argument that Boba Fett can operate solo more efficiently than the Chief. But just slightly. I still think that it would be an even match regardless. The Chief is still a very, very tough soldier, phsically and mentally.

My opinions are as follows; It would take a full squad or 4 RC's to have a chance of defeating a Spartan. The Spartan would be too tough for one Commando to take alone. A fight between the Master Chief and Boba fett would depend on who can spot the other first, because I don't think that either one of tham have an advantage big enough that the battle would sway too far in one or the others favor.

DARTH_PLAGUS
04-14-2006, 08:29 PM
I agree Niner. I think it really comes down to their combat skill and not necessarily the weapons they carry.

I know I gave an example of how I thought a fight between The Chief and Fett might go. I would like to point out that it's kinda hard to debate this topic on the weapons aspect. Who's to say that the Chief's HE pistol (or the sniper rifle) can or can't punch through Mando armor in one or 2 hits? Is a bullet from the MA5B assault rifle the equivelant of a blaster bolt from a DC-17m? Do grenades have the same effect on the corresponding opponent's armor? Could a commando's ec grenade effectively shut down the Chief's powered armor, and kill Cortana in the process? etc. etc.

Also, Plagus, I said that I thought that Boba Fett had a rougher childhood than the Master Chief. I was supporting my argument that Boba Fett can operate solo more efficiently than the Chief. But just slightly. I still think that it would be an even match regardless. The Chief is still a very, very tough soldier, phsically and mentally.

My opinions are as follows; It would take a full squad or 4 RC's to have a chance of defeating a Spartan. The Spartan would be too tough for one Commando to take alone. A fight between the Master Chief and Boba fett would depend on who can spot the other first, because I don't think that either one of tham have an advantage big enough that the battle would sway too far in one or the others favor.

exactly, I agree, but he became really good at solo during the halo book #2, all I know is that I would love to see master chief and boba fight.

shinobichan
04-14-2006, 09:16 PM
exactly, I agree, but he became really good at solo during the halo book #2, all I know is that I would love to see master chief and boba fight.

Yeah, otherwise I thought the Master Chief does fine throughout the rest of book 2 :-)

I dunno, maybe it's because I really do like all of the characters that we've been involving that I see them all being so evenly matched against each other. It'd be a boring fight if all the Commandos had to do against the Master Chief was go cyclic with their DC-17m's, or if the Master Chief just wiped out the entire squad by firing a rocket... Or threw a rock at Fett's jetpack and made him fly into the Sarlacc again.

Bomberman65
04-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey all sorry I haven't been reply on my topic for a while but I'm staying at my sister's place so I don't have acess to a pc that much. But yeah you guys are making some good points.

scout_zero
04-19-2006, 05:50 PM
I would think Republic Commandos. Don't know why. They are smarter. :)

Dark Lord Revan
04-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Commandos and Spatrans are even, But BOSS and MC are another story. They outpreform other commandos/Spartans, and are even with each other.

More on topic would be that the CC would win one on one, The plasma could esily destroy a section of armor...look at Sam, The armor of the CC (Kartarn) even blocks the more human-ized weapons of the trandoshans

Final Verdict
Commandos better than Spartans
BOSS better than MC

Bomberman65
04-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah I concure with you Dark Lord Revan. I think that Boss a.k.a RC-1138 is way better than Master Chief a.k.a Spartan 117.

Dark Lord Revan
04-21-2006, 07:31 PM
But i also said that commandos were better than Spartans...but the main point was about RC-1138 and John-117

deamonomic
05-08-2006, 02:37 AM
my moneys on the spartans. for one even if the commando takes out the spartans electronics the suits stength comes from the armor its self. the spartan would lose some stength and some reaction timing but ultimatly it wouldnt be a big enough loss as to lead to the spartans defeat. and if ur want to go into it more if the spartans suit is damaged that badly then he would remove it at the first oppertunity. however he could still continue combat with it on. even with out the armor the spartan would be much faster then the commando due to the augments. and i dont just mean physical speed i also mean reaction timming as well. the spartans can see better, hear better, and have advanced reflexes. the commandos only have their training workign for them, while the spartans have that and much more.

Bomberman65
05-14-2006, 07:41 PM
What about MC with a Plasma Energy Sword vs. Kyle Katarn in MotS or some other Jedi of your choise. Who would win????

Niner_777
05-15-2006, 03:40 PM
I'd have to say that any skilled jedi with a lightsaber could take down Master Chief with a Plasma Energy Sword, despite MC's augmentations and quick reflexes. It isn't the weapon that makes the jedi powerful, its the force that controls the weapon. If a Jedi that was skilled in the force fought, it wouldn't be his reflexes and strength behind his power, it would be the force. Chief doesn't have the force. That's my theory.

Bomberman65
05-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Well its a very good theory.

Dark Lord Revan
05-18-2006, 02:16 PM
what happened to the commando talk?

Bomberman65
05-19-2006, 03:42 AM
Yeah sorry about that got sidetracked.
But now back to Commandos.
Well E3's come and gone and sadly no news on Republic Commando 2.
But maybe lucasarts will anounce it just usally not at E3 who know we can only hope.
But what do you guys think about Delta Squad going against Order 66???
Also have any of you guys read both RC books and what do you think of them???
No spoilers please. I repeat NO SPOILERS!!!

Niner_777
05-19-2006, 04:55 PM
I've read Hard Contact and loved it. I thought it was a great book. I haven't read the second book yet because I got so many books for Christmas and I haven't even started many of them. I'm sure that I'll read it eventually.

Bomberman65
05-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Lol I know what thats like. Well I'm half way through reading Republic Commando Triple Zero and its way better than the first in my opinion.
And Order 66? What are you're guys thoughts???

Niner_777
05-20-2006, 01:42 PM
IMO, Delta Squad will execute Order 66. I don't know what happens in Triple Zero, but from what I know about the game, Delta Squad doesn't really come in contact with jedi. The only jedi that they have experience with in the game is Yoda, and the game makes Yoda look like he doesn't care about them much because he won't let Delta Squad go back and save Sev.

taclled
05-22-2006, 03:25 AM
yeah true but im not sure seeing some of the things talked about in triple contact
and delta squad- jedi relations just because they dont like yoda that much doesnt mean they dont like the rest of the jedi.
also what about Omega Squad what about them. i doubt they will execute order 66, or at least darman wont

Bomberman65
05-22-2006, 04:33 PM
No Darman won't but remember NO SPOILERS!

Niner_777
05-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm trying not to spoil anything.

After Darman's experiences in Hard Contact, I definitly don't think that he will, and I don't think that he'd let his squadmates do it either, if they had wanted to. Let's just say that Omega Squad has had better experiences with jedi than Delta Squad has had, from what I know of course.

jedimasterjesse
05-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Read the Halo Books, and you will see why Spartans would win.

They are trained from the age of 6, taught the art of Warfare, Rules of Engagement, and Stealth, and only the strong survive.

Spartans would win, and read Halo: The Fall of Reach to see why.

I've read 'em all, the RC books and the Spartan books. And I still say Commando. Spartans as you say were trained from 6. Commandos were trained from birth. The DC-17 (and its attachments) could out-gun the Assault rifle any day. The armors are basically the same, I might give a SLIGHT advantage to the spartan on this one, just cuz they make a bigger deal of it. The person inside, the real difference? Commandos are perfect fighters. They've been bred, more or less, to eliminate the enemy. The spartans have been plucked from ordinary lives (albiet very young) and augmented to do the same task.But if we were boxing, say, I'd put my money on the spartan. But in real combat, Commando.

Bomberman65
05-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Yeah you make some intresting points there jedimasterjesse. I was thinking something like that cause I've got and read all the halo books and I'm half way through RC:TZ.
So yeah I agree with you.

Niner_777
05-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Me too. The commandos seem better trained and better equipped, where as the spartans are just abnormally strong/etc. I'm not saying that spartans were'nt well trained or equipped though, because they were.

Bomberman65
05-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah its just that commandos were bred since the were consious Spartans weren't.

taclled
05-25-2006, 10:22 AM
besides commandoes are trained by mandalorians in every tyype of warfare that the mandalorians have faced and used. also the commandoes have altered genes to make them almost perfect so id put my money on a commando.

Niner_777
05-26-2006, 10:27 AM
That's true, also.

Redtech
05-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Commandos are "docile" compared to Jango or Null Arcs. Spartens are biologically and cybenetically upgraded.

taclled
05-28-2006, 05:29 PM
yes but there can be a full regimant of spartans in and on scorpions coming at a squad of commandoes from all sides and they will be playing catch with a permacrete detonator's det. one accitdently pushes the button and there are no more spartans or scorpions. and that commanod will be saying "oops sorry for all the commotion, guys" or " keep it down will ya"

Bomberman65
05-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Yeah cause the commandos would probally have gone on a stealth\reconnaissance mission earlier and laid out mines and dets on the tanks and things. So I think the commandos would have the upper hand in it. But thats just me.

Just_Darrell
05-29-2006, 03:31 AM
Really these kinds of discussions are doomed to not go very far, given that you're not even comparing apples to oranges, you're comparing watermelons to mountain goats. The different universes they exist in really don't do well for comparisons between what a Spartan can do versus a Clone Commando, not to mention even if they WERE in the same universe, you're dealing with a fictional universe which is dictated by imagination alone, not by any kind of universal law. However, that doesn't mean the discussion isn't fun to have now and then anyway. :)

For a bit of background, I've played both Halo and Halo 2. I'm a fan of the Halo genre and the storyline, though I have never read any of the books. I like Master Chief, I like Cortana, and I eagerly await Halo 3. Conversely, I love Republic Commando, and though I am not a "Warsie", I hold a love for the Republican Clone army (Though not so much after they become Stormtroopers for the Empire). Star Wars Episode II is one of my favorite movies only because of the Clone troopers. Jango and Boba Fett are awesome, hands down. Jedi are neat and all, but the games really aren't true to fluff, so to speak. Jedi are all about diplomacy first, fighting last. You would rarely see a Jedi racking up a kill count like they do in Jedi Academy; however, Clone Troopers and their genetic source (Jango Fett, and later came Boba) fight on a regular basis because it's part of the foundation of who they are. So, I'm a fan of both games.

There is a similarity between a Spartan and Commando in that both are not really natural; they're artificially created to serve a purpose of war. Spartans are taken as children and then biologically enhanced, trained, psychologically prepared, and given the best armor/weapons available. Commandos are artificially created clones born in a laboratory, and from the moment they are born they are prepared for war. They are not as biologically enhanced as Spartans, but they are just as well equipped, and their own natural abilities are respectable, though not superhuman. We can say, at a glance, their training is roughly equal (One begins at six, the other begins at birth. However, much of the Clone's first years are undoubtedly focused on things like learning basic battlefield knowledge, as you can hardly expect a toddler to train for combat conditions). Their equipment is roughly equal (They both have what amounts to the "best of the best" available). Biologically, however, we can't deny the Spartan is far ahead of the Commando; the Spartan can survive falls from extreme heights, flip over tanks, and for God's sake they're at least seven feet tall.

So, on paper, the Spartan would come out on top. Commandos and Spartans are both soldiers since childhood, they are both equipped with the best gear, but Spartans are walking juggernauts compared to the far more human-like Commandos. But we all know paper is not the same when under fire.

Let's assume a Commando and Spartan meet on some fictional battlefield with "standard mission" equipment. They do not know who they are fighting, or in what terrain they will be fighting, only that they will be fighting. They will have a well-rounded arsenal that will represent being able to fight at long-range, or short-range combat. They will only have weapons that they would be "naturally" armed with (Spartan will not have Covenant Weapons as secondary, Commando will not have Geonosian/Seperatist/Trandoshan weaponry as secondary). The equipment list would probably look something like:

SPARTAN

- Assault Rifle
- Shotgun
- Fragmentation Grenades
- Pistol
- Cortana

Going by the Halo game, a Spartan can really only carry two weapons (But I'll even give him the benefit of the doubt and say he can carry a pistol too). An Assault Rifle is well suited for medium-long range combat, and a shotgun is good for close range. A pistol is a suitable back-up weapon. Fragmentation grenades seem to be the only grenade type that exists in the Halo universe (Or is the only kind that is ever readily available), and I believe plasma grenades are a Covenant weapon. We'll also assume he has Cortana, so he has an ability to get intel on the battlefield. Of course he has his Mjolnir suit, which has the strength enhancements/energy shield. He also has a helmet-mounted flashlight to see in dark conditions.

Clone Commando
- DC-17m Blaster Rifle
- DC-17m Sniper Attachment
- DC-17m Anti-Armor Attachment
- DC-15s Rechargable Sidearm
- Thermal Grenades
- Sonic Grenades
- Flashbug Grenades
- EC Grenades

Now, right away we'll see that a Clone Commando is better equipped, tactically, than the Spartan. He has the equivalent of an assault rifle for medium-long range, he has the equivalent of a sniper rifle for very long range, and the equivalent of a grenade launcher for anti-armor. He has a pistol, but unlike the Spartan's, the Commando's has an infinite ammunition supply. The Commando not only has the equivalent of frag grenades, but also three other types that allow him to tackle any number of enemies (Sonic for good ambush opportunities, Flashbugs for stunning the enemy, EC for eliminating hostile droids and enemy electronics). I could give him a demolition charge, but I won't, as we'll assume these are really too bulky for everyone to carry one and they're not so numerous nor common on the battlefield as the Republic Commando game would have us believe. Not part of their equipment, but available, is their Clone Advisor; like Cortana, this allows them to have intel while on the battlefield. They wear their Katarn class body armor, which has a rechargable energy shield, low light vision, and a vibroblade mounted to one gauntlet.

So, a Spartan is a powerful soldier, but compared to the Commando his equipment is lacking on a tactical basis. He's not geared to handle the situations a Commando is, although he's better able to bash the enemy's brains out when he gets on them. One thing to consider is that Spartans really only know one enemy to fight; Covenant. Much of their tactics, if not equipment, is designed with this in mind. Of course they have battlefield knowledge they can apply to any enemy in any situation, but I imagine the majority of what they know is specialized to Covenant forces only. Why else would you need a seven foot, power armored, genetically engineered killing machine? Fighting regular humans can be done with regular humans, whereas with Covenant something like a Spartan might be more useful. Meanwhile a Commando is trained to fight any number of hostiles, ranging from Droids to Trandoshans and everything between. Not to mention, each one is a specialist in accuracy, demolitions, leadership, electronic manipulation, and close combat. I would imagine a Spartan is specialized in one or two, not all of, the above categories. Thus we see that while a Spartan is more powerful physically, a Commando is more powerful tactically.

The fight would probably happen at range, as most combats do on the battlefield. When the two opponents first meet each other, not really knowing who is who, they'll undoubtedly go for cover and start firing. Now, assuming the battlefield takes place at medium range (A reasonable assumption), the Spartan has already effectively lost the use of one of his weapons. Meanwhile the Commando has the ability to use all three of his weapons. Now cowering behind cover, super reflexes and strength really don't mean much. You can't be dodging and jumping around a battlefield and expect to hit anything; motion and accuracy are anathema to one another. Thus a Spartan pausing to hit something is just as fast as a man on crutches. We will assume, however, that the Spartan is quick enough to duck out of cover, fire, and hide again that the Commando really can't snipe him effectively. However, the Commando can make it very difficult for the Spartan to move, again, denying him precious mobility. Here they are pretty much at a stand-still.

The Spartan would go to Cortana for help to see about this new threat. Cortana may or may not have the ability to hack into the Commando's communication to get information. Really, though, this isn't going to do Cortana any good; suppose she can crack the system. I doubt Cortana speaks Mandalorian. I'm not quite sure what language Commandos speak (Or what language Spartans speak for that matter); in the games and novels they speak English, but this is because the countries they are popular in speak English. Given that we're looking at two different sets of people (The clone of a Mandalorian and a Spartan) from two different galaxies, odds are they speak vastly different languages. With the Covenant, Cortana would be able to translate because, again, this is an enemy the Spartans are made to deal with. They're the only real concern, so they have the intel to apply. The same cannot be said for Commandos. The Commando, on the other hand, would go to his Advisor; again, his Advisor does not know what a Spartan is, so really his information is not going to be all that helpful. He can, however, give the order to kill, which I assume would be necessary in a time like this (As opposed to stun/interrogate/bypass).

One thing about Commandos, though, is that they are very dynamic, forward-thinking individuals. Spartans are regular humans with the ability to freely think and decide things for themselves. During the firefight, both would probably notice a shield surrounding their enemy. When Master Chief is struck in the Halo games, there is a shimmer around him; assuming this is true to life, we can make the assumption the same happens to Commandos. Now, to a Spartan, this information doesn't really mean much. His tactics are pretty much the same as they would be any other time, it's just going to take a few more bullets to execute his plan. To a Commando, however, he knows exactly how to handle shields. So, what would happen next?

Now, after a brief firefight, it's pretty obvious to both Commando and Spartan that their enemy is a good soldier. A ranged stand-off like this is really not going to go anywhere, and will only waste ammunition. And in a war of ammunition, the Commando wins by default by the notion that one of his weapons has infinite ammunition. So, they both decide to flush the other out with a well-placed grenade. The Spartan goes for a frag grenade (His only real option) and hurls it out from his cover in the direction of the Commando. We'll assume that the Spartan has enough battlefield experience, biological manipulation, and technological assistance that he can judge the throw and make it perfectly. At the same time, the Commando goes for an EC grenade, and hurls it at the Spartan. Again, we'll assume enough battlefield experience, body memory, and technological assistance that he can judge the throw and make it perfectly. Both see the other throw the grenade, and are now getting flushed out of cover. The Commando only really has to get to the other side of his cover, or another point of cover to put himself at a safe distance. The Spartan, however, is facing a grenade with a MUCH larger radius, and an electronic pulse isn't really bothered by things like concrete or the like in the way.

So, what we see is the Spartan running towards the Commando (Where he will have the advantage, and he could undoubtedly run there faster than the Commando could really get away) and the Commando going for more cover. The grenades go off. The frag grenade will probably do minimal damage to the Commando (Who will have either got on the other side of his cover, or gotten more cover). The EC, however, will have drastic effects on the Spartan. His energy shield is gone (But will recharge), Cortana gets zapped (I am not sure how resilient an entity like Cortana would be to an EC, but let's assume she's down long enough for this battle to be determined), and his suit's systems are hampered. Assuming his visor looks roughly like the inside of a Comando's, he's going to have a lot of difficult seeing. The suit's responses will probably be erratic at best, but let's assume that through biological enhancements, the Spartan can keep coming at a pace that is still considerably fast for a seven foot tall man in armor that weighs nearly half a ton.

Assume both are firing as they go. Shots hit, but now the Spartan's shields aren't there to protect him, and he's getting wounded. The Commando's shields are still working just fine, and the Spartan is probably having some difficulty (Either with movement, vision, or both) and so he's not hitting quite as much as he could otherwise. The Commando leads a line of retreat back (Wanting to keep distance between him and this guy that looks like a Wookie crossed with a tank), while the Spartan follows him. Right about this time, that sonic grenade that the Commando planted as he retreated is triggered by the motion of the Spartan going by the cover the Commando just left, and he gets hit by a full-on sonic blast. Now, his shield is still not going to be up because, while it may have had time to recharge normally from the EC, the Commando's fire has kept it from doing so (Assuming the shields can only generate without the stress of incoming fire). Combined with the fire he took on the charge, the Spartan is probably dead or severely wounded at this point. If he isn't dead, then he is not going to be able to continue his charge at the Commando, and will be forced back into cover where, again, the Commando has the advantage of better firepower and better equipment. It will only be a matter of time until the Commando just chucks another grenade at him and if he comes running out, the Spartan eats an anti-armor round.

The Commando is simply the better tactical unit, in my opinion. His weapons are far superior, his training is far more versatile, and he's an expert in nearly every field of warfare (At least in terms of accuracy, demolitions, electronic manipulation, and leadership/tactics). The Spartan's advantage comes in with far superior physical ability, but again, in long-range firefights it doesn't matter if you can flip a truck. When you're crouching behind cover, it doesn't really matter how fast you can run (And really you can only squeeze a trigger so fast). The only way I can see a Spartan winning is if the two walked around a corner, and the Spartan bashed his head in. In close combat, the Spartan would probably win (Since while both can get one-hit melee kills on enemies in their games, the Spartan would undoubtedly be far more able to do so in this scenario), although by what margin could be debated (How well can Mjolnir armor hold off a vibroblade?).

Commandos are just a better soldier in warfare. A Spartan is more so better at just knocking enemies' heads off, and a lot of their resilience comes from their shield. But a Commando has the ability to take that shield away, while a Spartan is really stuck with the same tactics no matter what he's fighting (Frag it, Shoot it, or Smack it). He can't adapt as well as a Commando can, and that's what would win the fight for the Commando in every situation but a melee combat, which again is unlikely to happen as the Commando can always retreat and leave an ambush grenade waiting for the Spartan to set off. Remember, I didn't even give the Commando a detonator charge, which he could use to REALLY put a dampener on the Spartan's day.

I love Master Chief, and I love Spartans, but Commandos are just better soldiers for just about any situation. Four Commandos against one Spartan wouldn't even be a contest. They could throw down a Thermal, Flashbug, EC, AND Sonic grenade and lay down massive amounts of firepower on the Spartan as he tried to go for more cover (And again, he's not going to have that shield to protect him). With one sniping, one firing anti-armor rounds, and two with blasters, the Spartan is pretty much doomed.

Bomberman65
05-29-2006, 06:19 AM
Wow man just wow. That was great you have oviouslly played both games. But I agree with you that Spartans are kool but Commandos are able to adapt better. On another note Commandos are able to speak in english (Galactic Basic in SW) and Mando'a which is their natural language. So they'd tell if they were being hacked and just talk in Mando'a. But man I'm still just getting over that. It was great. But the books of RC just increase what your saying further. But you should check them out but nice to have you to the discussion Ner Vode. (Mando'a for my brother)

Niner_777
05-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Very well said. Some other points to mention include the fact that the Star Wars universe is far more advanced scientifically than our universe, in the Spartan's case. Obviously, the commando has a plasma weapon, which is very effective against the Spartan's sheild. Despite all the talk about the MJOLNIR armor being so good, who knows how it compares to the far possibly far more advanced armor of the commando.

Another point about the armor. I believe that in one of the books, it said that Spartans weighed around two tons! Much of this was due to their size and muscles, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that it said much of it was the weight of the armor. The armor helped the Spartan move using electrical impulses sent from the Spartan's brain which gave instructions to the armor, so it was like part of their body. If the EC detonator took out the armor, it would undoubtedly slow the Sparten down greatly.

Just another thing that I thought of was their diet. Spartans were fed normal rations (I beleive). They talked about them eating crackers in the books. Commandos on the other hand, eat only ration cubes, which have the perfect balance of nutrients. This is just something that I thought might have a slight impact on their health and body. Unless of course they get food from locals on their mission, lol.

taclled
05-29-2006, 03:22 PM
another thing even if you equiped the spartans with commando armor and ordanance/weapons the commandos will still win because they have been drilled from birth to death on military tactics and are pitted against each other in live fire competition with the losing team paying the highest price at the hands of the winners team. it works as a bit of.......... umn........... lets just say motivation.

Bomberman65
05-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Just to point out it did say that Spartans weighed around two tons and the armor helped the Spartan move using electrical impulses sent from the Spartan's brain which gave instructions to the armor, so it was like part of their body. That is correct.
But very good defence guys.

Captain-Panaka7
05-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Don't forget that the commandos little little little blade can kill everthing in 1 hit

Just_Darrell
05-29-2006, 08:50 PM
I actually took the Commando's vibroblade into consideration, but one must realize a Commando can not kill everything in one hit with the blade. For example, Super Battle Droids don't go down in one hit, nor do those big Trandoshan Mercs. Similarly, Spartans can't kill Elites, Brutes, and Hunters in one hit. But, between the two, the Spartan would have the better chance to kill the Commando with one strike (Given his increased strength and mass). The vibroblade's effect on the Spartan could be debated, but either way it's obvious the Spartan has the upper hand (Although that doesn't necessarily mean automatic victory) in close combat.

Ben_Walker
05-29-2006, 11:14 PM
To your first post Darrell, damn...

As for the vibroblade against a Spartan, that'd probably just take a fraction off the energy shield, or barely leave a dent in the MJOLNIR armour if the shield is down. Okay, now maybe if the Commando could expose the Spartan's flesh, then that might be more fatal... but you never know with super soldiers.

taclled
05-30-2006, 12:44 AM
yes but to the mass, shield, armor's electric impulses to help move, i just say this: Electro magnetic grenade. A commando will take the damage he gives himself through this and still can move but a spartan gets hit you can say good by to moving

*some what off-topic* by the way if a spartan weighs 2 tons how do they jump.

Just_Darrell
05-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Well, that's sort of what I meant. A vibroblade may have little effect against the armor itself, but the armor undoubtedly has less protected joints at the elbow, shoulders, knees, neck, et cetera. Also, how sturdy is that visor? Those kinds of questions we could ask all day and night, and honestly I can't really answer them since I don't know what a MJOLNIR suit's joints are made of.

Regardless, as I said, a Spartan has the upperhand in close combat, no doubt. The trick would be trying to actually get to the Commando, who can pretty much negate, match, and exceed every advantage the Spartan has in every other combat scenario.

And thanks to everyone for their comments on my first post. I saw the argument and thought I'd chip in with my opinion. It got sort of long-winded, but I'm bad for doing that anyway.

Captain-Panaka7
05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Man Darrel i have a feeling your gonna be good at posting :)

Niner_777
05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure what a vibro blade could do to MJOLNIR armor. I'd think that it could do some serious damage though. After all, it can cut through boulders and metal, thanks to it's quick vibrations. I think that if a commando got it into the Spartan, the commando could do some serious twisting damage and injure the Spartan's internal organs, possibly. However, after the commando punctures the Spartan, he'll be close enough for the Spartan to tear his arms off, so in this case, they might both die? Who knows if the Spartan would be fast enough, or if the commando could make a quick jab and back off quick enough?

Ben_Walker
05-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Man Darrel i have a feeling your gonna be good at posting :)

Damn straight.

I say pitch a unit of Spartans against a squad of Commandos and that would be interesting. Since both soldier has their own advantages and disadvantages and theres no absoloute victor in a grudge-match.

Bomberman65
05-31-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah I'd like to see a squad of commandos vs. a squad of Spartans. That would be a good fight.

Redtech
05-31-2006, 07:13 AM
I will say that the post was too bloody long though! :P

Yeah, fairly argued. BTW, Spartan armour is not "too heavy" for them, it just upgrades their reaction time and movement speed to compensate for it's weight. Imagine a human kevlar vest that actually didn't make you feel padded and slow! It's a similar idea.

Cortana "is" a master hacker though, she can crack languages based on syntax, fast, heck, humans can if given time and a supercomputer..which she is.

I think Spartans are really designed not to be ideal soldiers, but to be ideal killing machines, they don't obey standard rules of combat, it has to be non-conventional ideas and max killing ratios against the Covenant, heck, jack their weapons and use them against the aliens, it's all valid.

Republic Commandos are designed as an "elite force". For all the skills, they are limited by rules of engagement and genetic programming, but against an enemy they have to be able to cover SWAT and SAS style roles of hostage situations, espionage and working as a team to win the mission, which is not always kill everything that you see. They have to be used as part of the big picture for maximum efficiency, as their are many, many troops who could do their job, but the casualties would be much higher.

An interesting discussion on fictional characters, I must admit.

Micahc
05-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Heck if the commando got close enough to the Spartan, he would just get his neck broken. Jango is what, 5'11? While a Spartan is an easy 7 feet, that gives him about 6 more inches of stretch - easily enough to beat the freaking crap out of anything that moves. Even if the blade manages to get through his armor do you think it's going to stay their? I can pretty much garuntee you someone is going to have a broken neck. But, what if the Commando throws an ECD? I'm sure that there is a little thing that alll Spartans have in their suits called SURGE PROTECTERS. Yeah I know, way beyond our time but it could just be possible. I can't recall who said it, but some one said that Commando's are trained to be perfect in sniping, demo, etc. and Spartans weren't. Ten to one Spartans where better in all those respects. With the Commando's growth rate all their training would be rushed, while a Spartan had about 15 years before their first mission, and how old is one of the early ones now; 30? And a Commando's about 15 before the end of a war. Heck even if it did boil down to a long range fight, a Spartan isn't stupid enough to have a shotgun and an AR - heck even I would have a sniper and an AR. AR for medim to close, and sniper for long. It's not that hard. And if you still want to debate, go play the first missin on the Prosecuter when your just one commando, then go play pretty much any solo level on HAlo or Halo 2 and see who gets the job done better. Holly gosh I just add libbed that ?! :eek:

taclled
05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
okay i was looking on wikipedia for spartans and Clone Commandos. what i saw is that their is much more info on spartans which allows for a better understanding of the spartans and what all they can and cannot do. The commandos on the other hand have alot of ?s around them. they are unpredictable and mysterious in some aspects. but looking at everything i would elieve they are evenly matched although i do have the felling the commandoes have a slight upper hand due to their mysteriousness

Niner_777
05-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Heck even if it did boil down to a long range fight, a Spartan isn't stupid enough to have a shotgun and an AR - heck even I would have a sniper and an AR.
The point is that the commandos have weapons for any situation. The Spartan wouldn't know that he would be engaging in a long range fight, and therefore, have no way of knowing to bring a sniper rifle along. As far as the Spartan is concerned, he might think that he'd be engaging in a close range battle.

Micahc
05-31-2006, 05:12 PM
The point is that the commandos have weapons for any situation. The Spartan wouldn't know that he would be engaging in a long range fight, and therefore, have no way of knowing to bring a sniper rifle along. As far as the Spartan is concerned, he might think that he'd be engaging in a close range battle.
He wouldn't know if he needs the sniper, but anyone with a brain would bring one along just incase, how would the commando know he even need ECDs? Sure they might not work - but don't you think he might bring a few along just incase?

Niner_777
05-31-2006, 05:19 PM
The commando would bring along ECDs because they are standard commando equipment. I don't know if a sniper rifle is standard Spartan equipment or not. I'd imagine that they'd perfer to bring a sniper than a shotgun, seeings how they already own pretty much at short range due to their size and strength. However, in Darrell's post, there wasn't any mention of a sniper rifle for the Spartan.

Just_Darrell
05-31-2006, 05:38 PM
I left a lot of questions out about how MJOLNIR armor works because I'm not familiar with that much of the Halo universe, however I am wagering that the suit has several electrically-based systems that an EC grenade would have an adverse effect on, and thus would have a negative impact on the Spartan's movement and function. Could Cortana take an EC hit? I don't know, but chances are she would be effected in some way (Maybe she'd be erased, maybe she'd just turn off for a while, maybe she'd start talking in Latin and dancing...chances are she would not be helpful during an encounter). I don't think even a supercomputer like Cortana would be able translate Mandalorian that fast; this encounter would be over in, what, minutes? I don't think she could crack their communication system, translate their system, and relay it back to the Spartan before the encounter was decided one way or another. Even humans require a healthy exposure to the language (Also remember not only are they talking in different languages, they're on different technology levels...Chief probably wouldn't understand what a DC-17m is, or what Pod Maneuver D-35B is) to translate it.

Do Spartan suits have a "surge protector"? Who knows. The Covenant doesn't seem to use a lot of EC-ish weapons, so it wouldn't necessarily be top priority. The Commandos don't have something like it, and the Star Wars universe is by far more technologically advanced than Halo's, thus chances are the Spartans aren't armed with one. Even if they did, the shield would still be drained out, which means a Spartan is going to die very quickly. Try playing Halo or Halo 2 with your energy shield down and have a grenade go off on Chief; see how he handles that. A lot of their durability comes from that shield, and when it's gone, a Spartan is a whole lot less resilient.

As for their specialties, the clones are genetically engineered to be masters at every craft of war. Humans are not designed, at our foundation, to be war machines. We each have varying interests and skills that are spread out in various fields; a soldier good at one thing is not necessarily great at another. Just because you're awesome with a sniper rifle doesn't mean you know whether to cut the red wire or the green wire.

In 15 years, the Spartan probably still does not have the knowledge that a Commando is born with. It's spliced into his genes. Also, as I said before, a Spartan is probably exposed and trained most to fight Covenant, and maybe humans. Commandos are trained to fight humans, droids, trandoshans, Wookies, and any other of a baker's dozen of races in the Star Wars universe. That means they have a lot more tactical knowledge and a lot more tricks in their sleeve than the Spartan does. Regardless of how one performs alone in their respective games, that's not what this discussion is looking at. The question isn't can a Spartan kill Covenant faster than a Commando can kill Geonosians. We're comparing one against the other, which doesn't have much to do with how fast they kill in their own games.

On a standard mission (Where I compared the Spartan and Commando), odds are he wouldn't be equipped with a sniper rifle. Generally when you have a sniper rifle in Halo, it's because you picked one off the ground, not that you started the mission with one in your inventory. An assault rifle/shotgun is more tactically sound than a sniper rifle/assault rifle. That makes you effective at everything except very long range, but even if a Spartan DID come with a sniper rifle, he's still outgunned by the Commando. The Katarn armor and energy shield could take a hit from a Halo sniper rifle; the same can't really be said for a Spartan without an energy shield taking a hit from the DC-17m's sniper attachment. Plus, the Spartan has surrendered the one thing that really made him more dangerous in close combat (Where he would have an advantage on the Commando) to focus on ranged combat where the Commando has him outgeared.

To me, no matter how you cut it, without the Spartan getting into close combat he has no chance to beat the Commando. In close combat he'll undoubtedly win most of the time, but most of the time he'll never get there. My bet stays with a Commando, who can negate every advantage a Spartan has at ranged combat, while still maintaining technical and tactical superiority.

Bomberman65
05-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Again good post. Yeah I agree with you on both points.
Now guys I'll be away in Samoa for 2 weeks starting from today so I'll try and get on if and when I can so keep going.

Dark Lord Revan
05-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Again good post. Yeah I agree with you on both points.
Now guys I'll be away in Samoa for 2 weeks starting from today so I'll try and get on if and when I can so keep going.
Ill be waiten

Anyway

Back on subject. The sheilds of the MJOLNIR cant takke plasma weapons very good, look at Sam. The CC weapons are Iodized to fight the droids as a primary target, that explains why the ACP is better at trandos than the DC-17. The Kartarn-class sheilds could easily take the bullets of an SMG, and Sniper for that matter. mabey even a rocket [splash damage, not direct hit]. Im Hand-to-hand, the spartan would be cut up by the Vibro knife in the commandos armour, give that ion energy [like KOTOR II] bye bye Johny.

Micahc
05-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Last I checked a wookie rocket launcher blew a commando away (good times), so why wouldn't a UNSC launcher? And in RC it's the complete opposite of Halo - the Trando weapons tear through sheilds, and what are they? Projectile. DC-17m rounds -keeping in game- wouldn't do nil against a Spartan's shields. And hand to hand combat the commando would get thrashed. The blade would be useless agains solid titanium (was it titanium? Might've been something stronger) a few centimeters thick, with a Spartans beast strength the commando would get shredded. Or he would at least get his face bashed through. And for your last comment... SURGE PROTECTERS! Heck lets face it, if you had to create a super soldiers armor, chances are it would have at least something to keep it from over loading.

Dark Lord Revan
05-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Wow man just wow. That was great you have oviouslly played both games. But I agree with you that Spartans are kool but Commandos are able to adapt better. On another note Commandos are able to speak in english (Galactic Basic in SW) and Mando'a which is their natural language. So they'd tell if they were being hacked and just talk in Mando'a. But man I'm still just getting over that. It was great. But the books of RC just increase what your saying further. But you should check them out but nice to have you to the discussion Ner Vode. (Mando'a for my brother)
So have I...

1_337
05-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with Micahc.A viroblade cutting through a 3 & a half ton suit of armore? COME ON! The blade only one hit kills because of exposed flesh and thin metal. But... I think the commandos would win because a Spartan II's weak spot is the back.

Just_Darrell
06-01-2006, 04:36 AM
DC-17m rounds could do a lot against MJOLNIR armor. He has the regular blaster rounds, sniper rounds, and an anti-armor grenade. An EC grenade would take care of his shield (And with several EC grenades he could keep the shield down for a good, long time) so he wouldn't have the benefit of its protection. In Republic Commando, I believe when a Commando is in the radius of an EC, it stuns him temporarily; a similar effect could perhaps be expected on a Spartan. I think this has less to do with the armor and more to do with the natural electrical impulses of the body being scrambled by the grenade.

Also, a vibroblade (From what I have read) can cut through solid rock. Something with that amount of power could easily do a lot of damage in certain key points (Neck, knee, elbow, shoulder, waist) where there are weaker joints in the armor to allow movement. The entire suit isn't made of titanium, then the Spartan wouldn't be able to move. I would assume the material covering the joints is similar to kevlar, which wouldn't be able to stand up to a vibroblade. The Spartan still has the advantage in close combat, but the Commando could still prove a challenge (Vibroblade through the neck, for instance).

And for your last comment... SURGE PROTECTERS! Heck lets face it, if you had to create a super soldiers armor, chances are it would have at least something to keep it from over loading.

Using that logic, they would also be equipped with fire extinguishers (In case the systems overloaded and caught fire), a wench hook-up system (In case he got stuck in some mud), a built-in virtual library in his HUD (In case he was on the pot with nothing to read), et cetera. You can't prepare for every possible scenario, it's just not cost-effective. Those suits are already costing an ungodly fortune to make, proofing them against things like electric charges and such would only make it worse (And impede the soldier). Plus, when the Covenant doesn't use those kinds of tactics, why bother? If you go to play a baseball game, you don't bring boxing gloves because you've spent a lot of time and money training, and you don't want to lose a game if the other team randomly decides to box instead of bat.

Know what I mean?

Redtech
06-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, how do we even know that the EC would drop the shield? It's assuming electronics in SW and Halo work the same way. And Vibroblabes cutting rock? Doesn't mean squat when you're aiming a punch at someone with arms longer than your legs.

I will say that Commandos are better equipped, I already commented why, it's their role.

I'm wondering who would win out of Dead Cell and Republic Commandos now!..

taclled
06-01-2006, 02:51 PM
ECs would drop the shield because that is what they are made to do they are, correct me if im wrong, a controlled version of an electro-magnetic pulse(which is also the cause for electronics not working around the blast area after a nuke),which brings all electronic movement to a halt, surge protectors wont do anything because the EMP is to strong for even the SP to handle.

Niner_777
06-01-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm currently reading Halo: The First Strike, so I may learn some stuff along the way. One thing that was stated was that their armor weighed half a ton, not three and a half. Also, in the very beginning of the book, some of the spartans had to bail out of their ship, similar to what the commandos had to do in Hard Contact. Out of twenty-two spartans, four were killed, and six were wounded, just from the air drop. On the other hand, in Hard Contact, all four of the commandos survived, one hundred percent. I'm not sure if their armor is better, or they just have better freefall techniques, either way, the commandos outperformed the spartans in this senario, and either aspect would prove to be a major factor in combat. (Shield or Technique)

Captain-Panaka7
06-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I don't know if anyone said something about this but the Commando's have alot tougher enemys then the Spartans.

1_337
06-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Hey Niner, Get with the times. Were talking about the spartans in Halo 2 (which would be the V-6 model),
not Halo 1(which talk about the V-5). If you ask me those books need to be updated.

shinobichan
06-02-2006, 12:46 AM
You've probably gotten this comment alot aleady Just_Darrell, but I thought that that was a great post on your part :-) I totally agree that the Commandos 1up the Spartans in firepower and more tactical options available in the equipment that they carry. I'd have to question your Spartan's tactics in your scenario though (wouldn't exactly go bum-rushing a heavily armed alien soldier whom I knew nothing about, throwing what clearly looks like grenades at me.)

In your scenario, I feel that a savvy Spartan would have more tactical options at his diposal than you make clear. One is that you armed your Spartan with an M6D pistol (you said 'pistol', I know, but i figured you were using halo 1 weapons procurment in that you mentioned your Spartan having an Assault Rifle.)

M6D pistols are issued with 2x smart-linked scopes that feed the visual data to the Spartan's helmet. It fires 12.7mm semi-armor-piercing, high explosive rounds. In Halo, it is a potent weapon that is deadly at close, medium, AND long ranges, in skilled hands. Covenant Elites wither under pistol fire, shields and all, in just a few shots to the cranium. It's one of the most versatile weapons in the game. In your scenario, I feel that a Spartan,ducking out of cover with the pistol and firing at the Commando's head, could kill or severly wound the Commando with just a few hits. It gives the Spartan a fighting change going against the Commando's DC-17m sniper attachment. It takes time for the Commando to switch weapon attachments in the heat of battle too. Not overly long, but long enough to be fatal.

The Covenant (or the Commando) may be blessed with superior technology, but as the saying goes, If it hurts, it works. Stormtroopers lost to little bears with sharp rocks and pointy sticks after all :-)

Another thing that I'd like to point out is that The Spartan has more than a chance of dodging blaster fire. And that blaster fire isn't very tactical at all. All the weapons that the Commando utilizes in battle (save for the sniper attachment and the gauntlet blade) fire in discrete bolts. You can see grenades sail through the air, you can see blaster bolts from the point they leave the blaster to the point where they hit something. In that way are the MA5B Assault Rifle and the DC-17m not equal. Damage caused by the Assault rifle is nearly instantaneous due to the high velocities of the projectiles fired. It would be very difficult for the commando to score hits on a super strong, super tough, super quick Spartan at medium-to-long ranges using standard blaster bolts, due to the lag time of the bolts. Furthermore, because of both the lag and the shiny nature of blaster fire, blaster fire of any stripe will give an opponent like the Spartan an extremely good fix on the commando's position.

The last point I would like to make (not a very big one though) is that the Spartan has a really good throwing arm. Next time you play halo, try arcing at 45 degrees and letting a grenade fly. It flies for like a hundred yards. Now it's just a hand-thrown grenade, right? would it be useful to the Spartan at medium to long range? Most likely. As you said, Humans in Halo are trained to fight the Covenant. One of the fastest ways to dispatch a Covenant Elite is to throw a sticky plasma grenade and make it latch to the elites armor. A Spartan would be trained to throw very accurately over long distances. So I feel that grenades are a viable option for the Spartan when combating a Commando at medium to long range.

Yes, more than likely, the gear that the Spartan carries with him into battle will not be as tactical as the gear a Republic Commando is accustomed to carry. But the Spartan's gear is built to be versatile. It's what allows the Spartan to take on jobs like capturing Covenant assault carriers single-handedly, and repelling alien invasion forces fifty times his size on foot with an assault rifle and a handful of grenades.

shinobichan
06-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Niner, remember that the Spartans in First Strike had to bail out of a dropship in flames with no parasails. They were at terminal velocity when they hit the ground. Omega Squad in Hard Contact all had parasails and Darman busts his right leg when he hits the ground.

shinobichan
06-02-2006, 01:32 AM
having the right genes helps, I feel that if anything, genes dictate potential fates and potential destinies (and yes, I am a big fan of Metal Gear Solid, if anyone caught the reference.) Clones and Clone commandos still have to be trained. They are flash trained in all the basic combat skills and specialities, and then they're REALLY trained, vigorously, thoughout their accelerated lives. You have an extremly effective and competent soldier in the end. A Spartan isn't that disimilar. The original 6 year old cantidates were selected from genetic markers, conscripted into the military and trained all of their lives up to the point where they received their armor. Sometime between they were biologically and cybernetically enhanced. then they went to work. Originally the Spartans were created to quell uprisings in the outer regions of human controlled space (halo universe here), then the Covenant Showed up and the mission changed. Spartans are around 30 - 40 years old at around the time of halo and halo 2, and have been in combat, REAL combat, not similated, since they were around 17 and 18 years old. Spartans have alot of experience to back them up.

A Spartan would know how to adapt to a changing combat environment. They had to, when the Covenant showed up. And Spartans are trained to fight in any environment on every kind of habitable planet where they would have to fight other humans or the Covenant. A Republic Commando is trained to do the same, and has an encyclopedic knowledge on how to fight hundreds of different species on hundreds of different worlds. Would that give the Commando a 1up on the Spartan?

Isn't the Spartan just a Human? A Wookie is not a human. How would knowing what the respiratory system of a trandoshan looks like, help in killing a Spartan?

1_337
06-02-2006, 03:44 AM
Dude, Do you ever SHUT THE F l_l ( l< UP!?! For Pete sake if you want to say something just say it all at once not post it on seperate parts. And the Assault rifel was still in use during Halo 2.

Ben_Walker
06-02-2006, 08:19 AM
I'll agree with shinobichan with the Spartans being well at adapting in combat enviroments, looking at the Cheif crashing on Halo Alpha (or whatever the first Halo planet was called) then dealing with posessed soldiers and the Flood... first time I faced one of the posessed Marines, I just shot him and figured I was too trigger happy for my own good.

Redtech
06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm currently reading Halo: The First Strike, so I may learn some stuff along the way.

Good book. But the fall of Reach is a lot more indicative of the Origins of Spartans. The fall of Reach sucks though.

Also, in the very beginning of the book, some of the spartans had to bail out of their ship, similar to what the commandos had to do in Hard Contact. Out of twenty-two spartans, four were killed, and six were wounded, just from the air drop.
They jumped with no Parachute. I'd like to see ANYONE survive! :)

having the right genes helps, I feel that if anything, genes dictate potential fates and potential destinies (and yes, I am a big fan of Metal Gear Solid, if anyone caught the reference.)

I'm a "master" of theoretical genetics. :P Genes can be helpful, but clones and Spartens were not chosen for the "highest" genetic efficiency. Many genes are not there because they improve fitness, many could be 'wild cards' that aren't so bad they reduce survival. E.g. green eyes versus brown eyes. The Spartens are all unique individuals and Jango sure as hell isn't "pure stock". Even when it comes to genes that make the "best" individual, since Naked Snake and Jango Fett weren't "ideal" (their offspring were modified) genetically you're only as good as the worst gene you've got.

(O/TConversely, one of the genes for cell immortality is the one that gives you cancer!)

taclled
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
also remember that commandos HAVE to carry a pack that weighs nomally between 20 to 50 pounds or kilos or something(i forget which although i think it is pounds) i doubt that spartans carry that much in one pack since they are deployed in groups of more than 4 soldiers they probably divide the gear between each other so they dont need to lug 20-40 LBS. per spartan/marine

1_337
06-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Not true. A Spartan, with all it's systems working, can flip a tank. And still I
think that the Commandos would win if they all just jump him at the same time. The Spartan may try to react fast but the armor will slow him down.

P.S.: Do Commandos have emotions? Also, I've heard of a female clone made secretly on Kamino. Is this true?

Niner_777
06-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Niner, remember that the Spartans in First Strike had to bail out of a dropship in flames with no parasails. They were at terminal velocity when they hit the ground. Omega Squad in Hard Contact all had parasails and Darman busts his right leg when he hits the ground.

Whose fault is it that the Spartans didn't have parachutes, lol? They might come in handy in a battle inside of a gunship, or on the edge of a cliff. Maybe?

1_337
06-02-2006, 04:45 PM
You people are egnoring me arn't you...

taclled
06-02-2006, 05:16 PM
well´i dont know of a female clone being made but i do know that clones have emotions(refer to following books: The Cestus Deception and the Republic Commando book series) also commandoes do not have robotics or impules or anything else inside their armor to help them move or flip anything. they must rely on their own strength and the strength givin through artificial stimulants

shinobichan
06-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Whose fault is it that the Spartans didn't have parachutes, lol? They might come in handy in a battle inside of a gunship, or on the edge of a cliff. Maybe?

Soldiers arent's equipped with parachutes when they're in helicopters. Not all soldiers wear parachutes when they're in the air and on a transport. Why should the Spartans in a case like this? The pelican dropship was supposed to take them to to ground. There's no where in the battlefield on the ground around reach's power generators where a parachute would be remotely useful. Why be bogged down by the extra gear? Any why the hell would you use a parachute on the edge of a cliff??? use a repelling line! Or a Jetpack :-D

Anyway, the point was that Mjolnir armor is strong enough for a Spartan to survive falling from that kind of height, and Commando Katarn armor is not. And on the ground, if a spartan had to jump off a high cliff to complete his mission, he could most likely do it

well´i dont know of a female clone being made but i do know that clones have emotions(refer to following books: The Cestus Deception and the Republic Commando book series) also commandoes do not have robotics or impules or anything else inside their armor to help them move or flip anything. they must rely on their own strength and the strength givin through artificial stimulants

Maybe some abberation in the cloning process making a clone a female? Not sure what would happen to her. Kaminoans are pretty obsessive about quality control.

It might have been possible for there to be female Stormtroopers, assuming you accept that after the Clone Wars, the Empire started making Stormtroopers from different genetic templates instead of just Jango's, and that the Empire also had conscripts from the general populace to start donning the white armor.

shinobichan
06-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Dude, Do you ever SHUT THE F l_l ( l< UP!?! For Pete sake if you want to say something just say it all at once not post it on seperate parts. And the Assault rifel was still in use during Halo 2.

Sorry, 1_337. I was having multiple brainstorms and unfortunately that's how my thoughts came out. I hope I didn't offend you too much. No need for the language, though. MA5B assault rifles are only usable in Halo 1 and not Halo 2. That's what I meant.

I thought of another tactical option for the Spartan in fighting a Commando. Disable the Commando's Deece. M6D pistol fire or 15 rounds per second from the MA5B will do. If the Commando loses his DC-17m, He's left with just his blaster pistol and grenades, and no sniper or anti-armor or high rate of fire blaster. Conversely, the commando could do the same, but it might be harder on him to pull off, due to the blaster bolts not closing distances fast enough, and the Spartan's pistol being a much smaller target for the commando to get a bead on with the sniper, especially with both Commando and Spartan ducking and jinking under fire.

Commandos are trained to fight humans, droids, trandoshans, Wookies, and any other of a baker's dozen of races in the Star Wars universe. That means they have a lot more tactical knowledge and a lot more tricks in their sleeve than the Spartan does.

Their universes have alot of differences. Warfare is not one of them. In both universes, there's still the concept of a Tank. A Bomber. A Fighter plane. Armor. Grenades. Ambushing. Cover. Laying traps. Flanking. Artillery. Air support. Etc. And really, the Commando only has so many options in how to kill something. Shoot it. Blow it up. Disable and then shoot it or blow it up. Lay a trap. Use the environment. Those concepts would not be lost to a Spartan.

And still I think that the Commandos would win if they all just jump him at the same time. The Spartan may try to react fast but the armor will slow him down.

A Spartan's weakness, and most other living thing's weaknesses for that matter, is sheer firepower. That's why a Squad of 4 RC's can probably take down a Spartan.

Ben_Walker
06-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Shinobichan, I just have one word....

Edit.

jedi7000nathan
06-02-2006, 11:55 PM
what they really need is a mod that 3 more commandos to delta squad

taclled
06-03-2006, 04:03 AM
a commando would be able to free fall far far and still survive but the their superiors no that everytime they deploy commandos and they die it will be harder to insert troops next time so they dont take chances. true spartans dont need to carry a parachutebut id believe that the pelican or other ships would at least have some emergency parachutes in case of one. commando are able to call down fighter, bomber, vehicle support. they are capable of doing every job a trooper can and then some. for instance: assasination, siege assault, counterinsurgency, hostage extraction, demolition, surveilence, ETC. on any terrain. they are trained to be able to fire on targets smaller than a dime from a long distance although with a the rifle attachment this is harder than with other equipment, they are trained to be able to addapt to different stuations in a second notice(or less) these situations include things like alien weapons, sudden enemy reinforcements, bambardment, etc. they have been trained to use every known and unknown weapon and vehicle. plus they have a databank built in their armor that they can call up in their helmet that includes species weak points, habits, homeplanet, anatomy, coloration, and thermic reafing(may have more). the Katarn armor is made to be able to with stand a direct hit from a turbolaser. this will most likely take the commando out of the fight for awhile because it most likely will give him a nice bruise and broken bones but he will still be alive and be able to give computer support and stationary support(ie. help protecting a bunker) and drive a vehicle. they try to make themselves small target and are able to fight even when completely disarmed.

PS: the only reason that on republic com´mando trandoshan's projectile weapons do damage is that had the game not been made that way it would have been to easy. actually the armor can withstand the hits altough if under continuos combined fire it may slowly put a dent in it and eventually pierce it. also you must remember that the SW projectile weapons may fire in a differnt way then Halo projectile weapons so they it may shoot faster than halo weapons

Bomberman65
06-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah Guys I agree with all of your points but just some notes that at times Halo is very unrealistic. I mean I'd like to see a normal man free fall from a dropship without a parachute and survive. I mean Commandos are just human and in that sense its more realistic.
Oh and btw I'm emailing you guys from Samoa and a internet cafe.
But yeah you are right on some points.

Redtech
06-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Republic Commando is unrealistic. There seem to be a lot of corridors no matter where you go! Geonosis: Corridors
Kashyyk: Corridors
A ship: Corridors

Halo is unrealistic. WTF is up with the flood and the Covenant?

Anyway, since they are both fiction with no real-world data, it's apples and turnips.

taclled
06-04-2006, 03:20 PM
well where he is right he's right
They are two unrealistic games in unrealistic universes that can be changed by the almighty powers of the makers(AKA LucasArts and Bungie, microsoft, etc.)
They are based on human imagination mixed with facts.
But who cares. let us have our fun.
Who knows one day one, or both, of these story could become reality(except the "long, long, ago" part) *plays old "The Twilight Zone" theme song*

Redtech
06-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Not at this rate of world progression. It'd more likely be "Terrorist wars". With a dose of ethnic clensing thrown in to please the fans.

Aren't I pessimistic? :P

Oh yeah, the Covenenant would so own the Jedi though!

taclled
06-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Not at this rate of world progression. It'd more likely be "Terrorist wars". With a dose of ethnic clensing thrown in to please the fans.

Aren't I pessimistic? :P

Oh yeah, the Covenenant would so own the Jedi though!

Note that i said "some day"

Blizzard99
06-05-2006, 12:42 PM
id have to agree on the trandoshan projectile weapons being able to take out RC's shields in the game only for the pure sake of gameplay balancing. In RC: Hard Contact, it takes a Verpine shatter rifle to even crack the Mark 2 Katarn armor and by Triple Zero the commando's are in mark 3 armor, which according to the specs, can take up to light cannon fire, now if that isn't as hard as yor MJONLIR armor i don't know what is.
Personally i believe a RC would win, however i do admit the Spartans are pretty bad ass, however i agree with the statements earlier about shouldn't we be comapring spartans to ARC troopers instead? or more accurately i believe, Null-ARCs?

1_337
06-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Ohhhhhhh... Ok umm, sorry about that. So Ok he he

Anyways... The real question is who do you think would win: Four RCs, or a Spartan...
and not the Greek spartan.

Micahc
06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
In answer to your real question four RCs could take a Spartan, all you need to do is flank. If they didn't flank however they would be screwed. Does SUPER-SOLDIER mean anything anymore? I remember a quote that pretty much implied that 100 stock clones equal four Commandoes, and four commando's equal one ARC. A Spartan could take on one RC, it seems like two hunters probably equal about one clone. Four? That might equal eight hunters. Good luck with that one.

Bomberman65
06-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Republic Commando is unrealistic. There seem to be a lot of corridors no matter where you go! Geonosis: Corridors
Kashyyk: Corridors
A ship: Corridors

Halo is unrealistic. WTF is up with the flood and the Covenant?

Anyway, since they are both fiction with no real-world data, it's apples and turnips.

I was meaning RC is more realistic than Halo a bit more and in sci fi sense.
But yes its very unrealistic in real world sense but we're talking SW and Halo world here not real world so tune out for a bit please.

Micahc
06-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I'll say Star Wars is more realistic once we actually have fully operational Star Wars like lasers, I'm still sticking with my Spartan (plus lets face it; they even look cooler!).

Redtech
06-06-2006, 06:15 AM
I was meaning RC is more realistic than Halo a bit more and in sci fi sense.
But yes its very unrealistic in real world sense but we're talking SW and Halo world here not real world so tune out for a bit please.

That's what drugs are for. Tuning out. (I can't do things by halves!)

Anyway, RC more realistic? Anything that involves "fiction" in the genre classification should be taken with strong doses of Sodium Chloride.

I believe that in their unique universes, Spartans in Halo and RCs in Republic Commando are valid. In a well defined fiction, a character should fit into that world. Humans can be clones in Star Wars? Human cloning is grossly wrong at the mo, but there, it works.

1_337
06-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Well...(another big rumor I heard of) Most people across the galaxy can inlist in the republic army like a Wookie warrior.

MachineCult
06-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Well...(another big rumor I heard of) Most people across the galaxy can inlist in the republic army like a Wookie warrior.
What? Where did you hear that?

1_337
06-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Well thats what happens when you have to many friends that constantly go to star wars conventions for most of there lives... but what do I care, I'm just saying what I heard.

Hey, do you watch Red vs. Blue?

bcw81
06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
YOU GUYS REALY THINK THAT??? In my opinion I'd say the spartan would win he has the augmentations, armor (even without shields and comp it works because of recharging battery), better guns, stealth (read the fall of reach), and the plasma grenade can kill in 1 stick. so personally I'd pic the spartan.

p.s. and even 1 spartan v.s. 200,000,000,000,000 commandos would still win (read pro log in the fall of reach, and the first strike)

taclled
06-07-2006, 12:15 PM
You are so naive (i dont even know what it means but context sounds right. one EC grenade takes out every electronic thing in the area. small stuff like a gun or grenade wont work at all afterwards. the armor probably has a way for the spartan to reboot it but it will take a moment and the weapons are NOT better. the guns are projectile weapons and not laser. you all think that the projectiles are more accurate and stronger than lasers. Actually lasers aremore accurate because they fire straight, while a projectile weapon fires straight and after it leaves the barrel, the bullet will rise and eventually sink. But in some ways you are right about the stonger part since a projectile will go through the target and do ripping damage to interanl organs because it doesnt fly straight and changes course (slightly but not noticebly) once it hits the body, while a laser shoots straight through. and the the commandos can also be equipped with stealth field generators.

PS: your p.s. is b.s.(b***s***)

Redtech
06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Well, they're not really using lasers. :P
Bullets do fall, depends on gravity strength and speed of bullet. Snipers notice this one the most.

Don't pick on the Halo fanboys! They bite. It's like AIDS but worse.

MachineCult
06-07-2006, 01:43 PM
p.s. and even 1 spartan v.s. 200,000,000,000,000 commandos would still win (read pro log in the fall of reach, and the first strike)
Whatever mate thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard, f**k the prologue.

taclled
06-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Well, they're not really using lasers. :P
Bullets do fall, depends on gravity strength and speed of bullet. Snipers notice this one the most.

Don't pick on the Halo fanboys! They bite. It's like AIDS but worse.
YOu know what i mean if you want me to go into extensive unneccesary detail i can do that, but it will take you an hour to read that.

And in that case i must be immune to the HIV virus since i am immune to your halo heretical cults. lol

Whatever mate thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard, f**k the prologue.
Exactly what i was saying

Niner_777
06-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Sorry, bcw81, but commandos are way better than grunts. Yeah, I've read the prologue.

MachineCult
06-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Sorry, bcw81, but commandos are way better than grunts. Yeah, I've read the prologue.
Nice one, Niner, you're right, Spartans are just grunts with freaky armour.
They got the s**t beat out of them at Reach by the least menacing bad guys of any video game (they're little multi-coloured elves that jump around and make funny noises, like an acid induced hallucination that occurs after playing Mario too much.)

Micahc
06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
You are so naive (i dont even know what it means but context sounds right. one EC grenade takes out every electronic thing in the area. small stuff like a gun or grenade wont work at all afterwards.

Of course they will. Guns are based on mechanics not electronics. Ever shot a pellet gun? Or a .22? Pellet guns you either pump or cock, which causes a hammer to fall on the pellet shooting it forward. .22's work the same way but instead of pumping (for air) you just pump (or cock) so a hammer will fall on the shell, ignite the powder, and send it forward. Last I checked the UNSC weapons in HALO still follow these mechanics, they have knock back and still produce a flash. Can I call you naive now? Oh, and according to Wiktionary naive means: Lacking experience, wisdom, or judgement.

the armor probably has a way for the spartan to reboot it but it will take a moment and the weapons are NOT better. the guns are projectile weapons and not laser. you all think that the projectiles are more accurate and stronger than lasers. Actually lasers aremore accurate because they fire straight, while a projectile weapon fires straight and after it leaves the barrel, the bullet will rise and eventually sink. But in some ways you are right about the stonger part since a projectile will go through the target and do ripping damage to interanl organs because it doesnt fly straight and changes course (slightly but not noticebly) once it hits the body, while a laser shoots straight through. and the the commandos can also be equipped with stealth field generators.

PS: your p.s. is b.s.(b***s***)

Actually since, this topic seems to be wandering mainly around sniping, the DC-17m's sniping rounds are metal. The only difference is that they are surrounded by the laser, and do you know what that means? Absolutly nothing. The only reason it's there is to give it a streak and make it more Star Wars-y.

Redtech
06-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Anyway, The covenant Sniper is better than BOTH. Cool colour, nice rate of fire and no clips or reloading required till empty, then throw it away, get a new one. Screw eco-hippies and recycling! :P

taclled
06-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Of course they will. Guns are based on mechanics not electronics. Ever shot a pellet gun? Or a .22? Pellet guns you either pump or cock, which causes a hammer to fall on the pellet shooting it forward. .22's work the same way but instead of pumping (for air) you just pump (or cock) so a hammer will fall on the shell, ignite the powder, and send it forward. Last I checked the UNSC weapons in HALO still follow these mechanics, they have knock back and still produce a flash. Can I call you naive now? Oh, and according to Wiktionary naive means:

Actually since, this topic seems to be wandering mainly around sniping, the DC-17m's sniping rounds are metal. The only difference is that they are surrounded by the laser, and do you know what that means? Absolutly nothing. The only reason it's there is to give it a streak and make it more Star Wars-y.
I heard ´that some of the newer guns in real life are afeccted by EMPs. it was some time ago so part of what i heard may be altered. and i thought that there are electric components in the halo assault rifle, but the though the pistol should work fine in that case. and about the sniper rifle i thought about that but i wasnt quite sure, thank you for clearing that little mystery up.

Micahc
06-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Ha, no problem ;)

taclled
06-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Ha, no problem ;)
dang you are very modest lol
no back to the topic........

Bomberman65
06-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah but the commandos have more knowledge in tatics and equipment than the spartans imo.
What do you guys think??

1_337
06-09-2006, 03:29 AM
Commandos all the way Jedi dude. those guys kick @$$.

And taclled... stop trying to cover your @$$.(figure of speech)

taclled
06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
i am not covering my @§§ the katarn armor does it for me i did believe some time ago that the sniper rounds are metalic bullets but i dismissed the idea using logic(not good to use talking about games or movies) because of the laser

Also im sure that spartans know quite a few tactics themselves although different because of availabolity and types of equipment, numbers of troops, and terrain

1_337
06-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Right then, scratch out what I said before.

taclled
06-10-2006, 04:41 AM
No hard feelings

1_337
06-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Right then... how do you put a picture under your name.

MachineCult
06-12-2006, 07:09 AM
n00b, get back on topic or leave this thread to die.

Micahc
06-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Aah, feel the community love.

taclled
06-12-2006, 01:49 PM
now now Machine cult if you heve nothing nice to say, sont say anything at all

lol

Niner_777
06-12-2006, 03:18 PM
1_337, to get a picture under your username, you go to the top of the page, click on "Quick Links" and then click on "Edit Avatar."

HK-42
06-12-2006, 03:20 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO S not C

1_337
06-13-2006, 03:56 AM
G, Thanks man. Now I have Conker as my Avatar. "W007"

MachineCult
06-13-2006, 06:00 AM
If only I were a Mod, I would have closed this stupid thread at, Right then... how do you put a picture under your name.

taclled
06-13-2006, 10:18 AM
why would u do that macinecult

MachineCult
06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
It's been off-topic since Right then, scratch out what I said before.

taclled
06-13-2006, 03:00 PM
he's right. Come on! Shift it shiny boys! Back on topic

MachineCult
06-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Spartans suck, Commandos kick ass.
"Master Chief" is the dumbest name ever, he looks really stupid, he hardly talks and when he does he's spouting bulls**t.
He is the last of the Spartans, all of whom were killed in very similar circumstances to the battles in Halo, except in Halo he is on his own, so it's completely ridiculous to think that he would survive.

Republic Commandos firstly have cool names, great equipment, actual army designations and they talk to each other like they are in the military unlike Master Chief.
There are four of them, clearly with training, which makes it alot easier to believe their surviving the missions, and they answer to actual military authority unlike Master Chief who answers to some holographic woman like Andromeda which also sucks.

So Commandos and Spartans can't really be compared, they're too different, Spartans are stupidly unrealistic in their design and the way they are implemented, Commandos are realistic in the way they fight and the way they interact with eachother and enemy and friendly PCs.
Commandos rule, Spartans suck.

Niner_777
06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
It truely is hard to compare the two. I also find it very unrealistic that all the other spartans died in almost one battle, the battle for Reach. Then John, a spartan that barely made it out alive, goes on to battle thousands of the same creatures that killed the other spartans plus a more dangerous race by himself, for the most part. The question is commandos vs. spartans. Personally, I don't think that ordinary spartans are better than commandos. However, Master Chief is not an ordinary spartan and may be able to beat a commando. Still, the question wasn't "Master Chief vs. Commandos."

1_337
06-14-2006, 02:38 AM
Still, the question wasn't "Master Chief vs. Commandos."

He has a strong point you know. We're all taking about the M.C. but the Q was actually an avrage spartan vs. a pod of avrage commandos. Basicly, after listening on how all those spartans got their @$$3$ l<1(l<3l)... it's pretty obvious on what would happen.

MachineCult
06-14-2006, 05:01 AM
Still, the question wasn't "Master Chief vs. Commandos."
Fair enough, my point still stands, in fact that proves it even more as the Spartans were s**t, and got totally pwnt by little multi-coloured dancing goblins.

Redtech
06-14-2006, 08:21 AM
And the superiors to Commandos get owned by teddy bears.

It's always the little critters, isn't it?

Niner_777
06-14-2006, 08:27 AM
And the superiors to Commandos get owned by teddy bears.

When did that happen?

Redtech
06-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Star Wars Episode 6. A great day in Imperial history.

taclled
06-14-2006, 03:42 PM
That was The Imperial Army(IA) you are talking about. we are taling about the Grand Army of the Repbulic(GAR). besides *thinks about SWBF2* no wonder the IA lost with their stupid Imp Officers.
And they are INFERIOR to the Commandos not supperior. the IA is basically brainwashed to serve the Emperor unlike the GAR, which also ultimately listened to the emperor, who actually had thoughts of their own and decisions of their own

MachineCult
06-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Redtech, you mean that the successors of the Commandos got pwnt by teddy bears.
The Clones were by far better than the Stormtroopers, and they were totally different, making reference to the Stormtroopers is pointless in this discussion.

Phantasmagorium
06-15-2006, 02:46 AM
Spartans suck, Commandos kick ass.
"Master Chief" is the dumbest name ever, he looks really stupid, he hardly talks and when he does he's spouting bulls**t.
He is the last of the Spartans, all of whom were killed in very similar circumstances to the battles in Halo, except in Halo he is on his own, so it's completely ridiculous to think that he would survive.

Republic Commandos firstly have cool names, great equipment, actual army designations and they talk to each other like they are in the military unlike Master Chief.
There are four of them, clearly with training, which makes it alot easier to believe their surviving the missions, and they answer to actual military authority unlike Master Chief who answers to some holographic woman like Andromeda which also sucks.

So Commandos and Spartans can't really be compared, they're too different, Spartans are stupidly unrealistic in their design and the way they are implemented, Commandos are realistic in the way they fight and the way they interact with eachother and enemy and friendly PCs.
Commandos rule, Spartans suck.

Haha, you're real funny.
Try telling that to an actual Master Chief. Why? Because, unlike those little numeric designations, Master Chief is an actual rank. A numeric designation, in the context used by RC, is an ID. Don't believe me? A Master Chief is an officer in a Navy. (Edit: To be specific, in the US Navy, it is the highest rank an enlisted person can recieve, and is a non-commissioned officer, or NCO. If you want the NUMERIC MILITARY RANK DESIGNATION, it is E-9.)

Master Chief also does not answer to Cortana. Cortana is simply the go-between.

As a note: I love Halo, I love RC, but for God's sake, get some actual knowledge before posting something as clearly opinionated as that. You mentioned something about off-topic? They're comparing technical specifications and tactical knowledge, not "how cool the names are" or "how awesome he looks". Imbecile.

Also, to add something to the actual conversation at hand:

"The suit can recycle air for ninety minutes. It's shielded against radiation and EMP as well." [Fall of Reach, 120]. This references the original MJOLNIR suits used by the Spartans. Just thought that, since it was stated earlier that the EC Grenades function by EMP, that ought to cause a rethinking.

Anyways, Katarn armor may be nice, but think about this: it is a) mass-produced, and therefore not the top-notch incredible equipment you might think it is and b) designed to be effective against blasters, which are the predominant weapons of the time. Slugthrowers, crossbows, and other personal projectile weapons are very rare (comparatively) in the Star Wars universe, and so, the Katarn armor and shielding would be geared towards energy weapons, and not much concern wasted upon kinetic-based weaponry.

Also, going by the technical specifications given in the books (if I may), if a CC tried to run from any Spartan, they wouldn't get too far. They run in bursts of up to 55 km/h without their armor. Obviously, this isn't represented in game, possibly because it would be too difficult to control as a player.

MachineCult
06-15-2006, 06:40 AM
Firstly, great flame speech, nice first impression for everyone there. Next time you disagree with what someone has said, try being a little more adult about it.

Haha, you're real funny.
Try telling that to an actual Master Chief. Why? Because, unlike those little numeric designations, Master Chief is an actual rank.
In the US Navy you said. Halos "Master Chief" isn't in the Navy, and his role in the Military is nothing like that of the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON).

As a note: I love Halo, I love RC, but for God's sake, get some actual knowledge before posting something as clearly opinionated as that. You mentioned something about off-topic? They're comparing technical specifications and tactical knowledge, not "how cool the names are" or "how awesome he looks". Imbecile.
F**k you, thats all a person can say to something like that, I posted a perfectly fair argument for Commandos against Spartans, taking everything into account, I had some fair points but being childish and clearly bias, you chose not to mention them.
This thread was off topic, it had been off topic for a number of days, why don't you look at the dates of the posts.

"The suit can recycle air for ninety minutes. It's shielded against radiation and EMP as well." [Fall of Reach, 120]. This references the original MJOLNIR suits used by the Spartans. Just thought that, since it was stated earlier that the EC Grenades function by EMP, that ought to cause a rethinking.
It didn't do them much good on Reach though did it?

Also, going by the technical specifications given in the books (if I may), if a CC tried to run from any Spartan, they wouldn't get too far. They run in bursts of up to 55 km/h without their armor. Obviously, this isn't represented in game, possibly because it would be too difficult to control as a player.
Again, they weren't fast enough on Reach.

I don't know what other forums you've been on are like, but here we don't randomly attack people as our first posts so I suggest you don't come back until you can be a little more adult in your arguments.
What I posted first obviously wasn't in reponse to anything you said, so why you had to be so extremely rude I have no idea.

Redtech
06-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Yes, we just start Emo-ing whenever someone has a conflicting argument.

Could argue that MC is a member of the "Space Navy". HTF do things work, who cares? Why do commandos get orders from a non CO anyway? As for Reach, well, it's a bit like sending Commandos to Geonosis ON THEIR OWN, it'd be nasty no matter what. The Covenant spam units like nothing else. Okay, Spartans weren't on their own, but Plasma does nasty effects to human flesh I'd reckon.

Meh, this might as well be left to die, it started off cool, but it's getting into so much semantics that seaman jokes are starting to sound appealing.

taclled
06-15-2006, 12:32 PM
It's shielded against radiation and EMP as well." [Fall of Reach, 120]. This references the original MJOLNIR suits used by the Spartans. Just thought that, since it was stated earlier that the EC Grenades function by EMP, that ought to cause a rethinking.

Anyways, Katarn armor may be nice, but think about this: it is a) mass-produced, and therefore not the top-notch incredible equipment you might think it is and b) designed to be effective against blasters, which are the predominant weapons of the time. Slugthrowers, crossbows, and other personal projectile weapons are very rare (comparatively) in the Star Wars universe, and so, the Katarn armor and shielding would be geared towards energy weapons, and not much concern wasted upon kinetic-based weaponry.

Also, going by the technical specifications given in the books (if I may), if a CC tried to run from any Spartan, they wouldn't get too far. They run in bursts of up to 55 km/h without their armor. Obviously, this isn't represented in game, possibly because it would be too difficult to control as a player.First of all the Fancy motorcycle suit which is "sheilded" against EMP is for there emp you may be right but we dont know how the EC grenades actually work meaning they may or may not damage the suit. i doubt that they will stop it but i think they are shielded from the EMP after a nuke(hence the mention of radiation). also the armor is mass produce but is constantly undergoing new testing and upgrading. also if you would READ you would know that Katarn armor is able to resist even a verpine shatter pistol/rifle, which is a projectile weapon(and i must say your an imbecile to consider an arrow going through katarn armor) Also the CCs would run faster than that as of their last armor upgrade which included reduced armor weight. and it also allows more tactics to be used to avoid weapons

Phantasmagorium
06-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Firstly, great flame speech, nice first impression for everyone there. Next time you disagree with what someone has said, try being a little more adult about it.

In the US Navy you said. Halos "Master Chief" isn't in the Navy, and his role in the Military is nothing like that of the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON).

F**k you, thats all a person can say to something like that, I posted a perfectly fair argument for Commandos against Spartans, taking everything into account, I had some fair points but being childish and clearly bias, you chose not to mention them.
This thread was off topic, it had been off topic for a number of days, why don't you look at the dates of the posts.

It didn't do them much good on Reach though did it?

Again, they weren't fast enough on Reach.

I don't know what other forums you've been on are like, but here we don't randomly attack people as our first posts so I suggest you don't come back until you can be a little more adult in your arguments.
What I posted first obviously wasn't in reponse to anything you said, so why you had to be so extremely rude I have no idea.

Sorry that any part of that other than the "imbecile" sentence came off as insulting, because the rest of it wasn't meant to be. Also, Master Chief is a Naval officer - he is payed for, trained, and sent out by the Navy. (Source - Fall of Reach). Now, his role may be different, but things may have evolved in a few years, or Bungie's military experience may not be incredible. But, what you said was still not correct. Should he technically be a CMC (Command Master Chief. See Wikipedia or something, too lazy to explain)? He probably would be considered that, as he was the link between the Spartans and the upper command structure. It never specifically states.
And yes, I'm aware his job is unlike any other Chief's.

I wasn't being (intentionally) biased, I was simply too tired to post arguments for them, as well as not quite as informed on them book-wise. In one-on-one, I do believe a Spartan would easily win. A pod on one, I believe it would be interesting, but if it remained at longer than medium range for very long, I doubt the Spartan could hold off, and would at least have to retreat if he could still manage it. Sixteen times as many grenades, for one thing. Now, theres always the option of kicking any non-contact detonation grenades back, but the Spartan wouldn't know which grenades stick and which don't, and, despite moving as fast as they do, probably wouldn't want to take that risk. A pod of four commandos? Commandos win, hands down. One Commando? Wants to get really lucky.

(and i must say your an imbecile to consider an arrow going through katarn armor) Also the CCs would run faster than that as of their last armor upgrade which included reduced armor weight. and it also allows more tactics to be used to avoid weapons

I never said I thought it would work. I was giving another example of a kinetic based weapon. A Verpine shattergun is powerful, however, it's not the most powerful kinetic-based weapon in the Star Wars universe. It's still on the lines of a high-caliber handgun. A Wookie Bowcaster is another example - it fires a metal slug enveloped by energy. I was trying not to get too specific.

The CCs would run how fast, specifically? After all, I said 55 kilometers an hour without their suit. The suit effectively doubles a Spartan's strength, which is no little thing. The initial problem with the whole argument is, Spartans, just like commandos, are meant to be part of a team. That is why, with four commandos and one Spartan, the Spartan would lose. Spartans were raised their entire lives in teams of three, and before Reach, not one single time were any of them sent in a group of less than three, except on training missions in semi-controlled environments, much like the example given in FoR where they had to meet up to peice together the map. How about a role reversal, for thought? One commando versus a team of three Spartans?
Anyways, I have a question: someone said earlier that the commandos are fighting tougher enemies (paraphrased). This got me wondering. Covenant vs Seperatists. I personally thing that the Covenant would win. The Republic's navy may be better equipped and trained than UNSC's, but I think the Covvies outdo the Seperatists (and the Republic) by far.

is for there emp

I'm fairly certain that physics doesn't change too much. An EMP, or Electromagnetic Pulse, is simply a surge of electromagnetic waves - also known as light, gamma rays, x-rays, radio-waves, etc. I believe that, in weaponry, we currently are experimenting with the high-end of the spectrum - ultraviolet, gamma rays, and such. While in Star Wars, it may have taken a different direction, it's not too unlikely that they have simply done what we haven't yet. The question is, does the EC work by EMP, or by static chaff, or something else?

taclled
06-15-2006, 03:50 PM
they are also able to resist bowcasters but not to long after at the most 5 shots will put some damge in the armor sorry i misunderstood you on the arrow part then. i apoligize. i disagree. yes convenant is stronger in some points than the seps but Commandos dont just fight Droids. also they are pitched into the most difficult situations.

Phantasmagorium
06-15-2006, 05:08 PM
That's true, but the primary tenet of Spartan training was to adapt. I think that the Commandos would fare the same way the Spartans did - always winning on the ground, but once the battle came to space, the Covenant would smash on their fleet, vaporize the planet, and move on. Besides, Elites are a totally different ball game than Spartans - They are naturally as physically tough as your "average" Spartan, they are trained thoroughly in tactics, and they have plasma grenades. They can do all the tactical things a commando can - call down air strikes, send for reinforcements, and more - they are also all commanders, and have troops under them. And an Special Operations Elite (the nasty ones in the white armor) would probably be too much for a commando - what if he brings along that favorite Elite weapon, the Plasma Sword? Plasma swords are comparable to lightsabers in energy output (theoretically), and we saw how effective Katarn armor was with sabers. Then there's the fact that the Covenant is many races, united by a religion into an army. An Elite can't reach somewhere? He sends a bunch of buggers instead. Somewhere too cramped for a Brute? Send a group of Grunts. Grunts are, theoretically, more difficult opponents than their counterpart battledroids, because they are equipped with a variety of weapons as well as grenades. However, a battle droid may be more physically resilient. They both have the advantage of their extreme numbers. Grunts? Shorter, thus, theoretically, harder to hit. All in all, I think that would be a better (more entertaining) battle. A horde of grunts vs a horde of battle droids. Hey, if the Gungans can do it..

taclled
06-15-2006, 05:32 PM
heck if a gungan(specificallx JarJar) can defeat a jedi then the whole SW universe would collapse they also have which i read on wikipedia that they did have 6 man squads and expeiremental squads they couldnt check completely cause' of the Empire.
they would combine diffrent reg. troopers(including clone assasins[not commandos]) and turn them into a squad

1_337
06-15-2006, 06:30 PM
WOW... that has got to be the longest conversation ever so far.

So any ways, I've done a little bit of research and found out that also in the Female Clone Rumor (FCR) that she was a scout clone commando doing extreamly top secret missions ordered by "who" I don't know yet I'll keep searching. But here's a rumor I don't yet beleve: During the search of 07 on the wookie planet they trace him down to a wookie slave camp and find her their captured. After they free her from her cell she imideatly explains her self and links up with the squad permanetly while still keeping her identety a secret from other commandos.
I kinda beleave in this rumor but not yet since RC2 is comming up soon. I'll keep you guys posted on what I find out.

(0^^^^@nl)0$ 12ul_3 & l<1(l< @$$ w007 :-)

Bomberman65
06-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Wow you guys make some good points. But one thing sort of off topic that Stormtroopers suck not true. Read Soldier for the Empire. Katarn was a Stormy once and him and his squad kicked ass man.

taclled
06-16-2006, 05:36 AM
yes but he had the force on his side even if e didnt know it

Niner_777
06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
I definitly think that stormtroopers are inferior to clone troopers. The Empire probably cut spending on training, lol. That's why they are so inaccurate.

taclled
06-16-2006, 11:51 AM
another thing if you read the books you will read about palpatine using the force to MAKE his soldiers "loyal" to him

MachineCult
06-16-2006, 03:22 PM
What books are they, taclled? The soldiers are genetically programmed to be obedient and completely loyal to their master. Which is why the Clones killed their Jedi generals without question.

Niner_777
06-16-2006, 04:23 PM
What books are they, taclled? The soldiers are genetically programmed to be obedient and completely loyal to their master. Which is why the Clones killed their Jedi generals without question.

True. I don't see the point in using the force if they are already programmed. Besides, couldn't the jedi try to use the force to force loyalness into their clones. [/Offtopic]

Micahc
06-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Why are you people saying physics is different in Halo and Starwars? ECD stands for Electrical Current Detonator, electricity doesn't change, you see all that lightning like stuff after an ECD explodes? It's called elcetricity, you can learn that from Looney Toons; and apparently a Spartan is protected against that. Spartan vs Commando = Spartan ownage. Squad of Commandoes vs Spartan = Commando ownage. Squad of Commando's vs Squad of Spartans = Spartan ownage with maybe an injury or casualty. Beyond me why you people are talking about loyalty...

1_337
06-16-2006, 09:12 PM
For some resone Micahc is the only person that I find is wise.

taclled
06-17-2006, 01:08 AM
True. I don't see the point in using the force if they are already programmed. Besides, couldn't the jedi try to use the force to force loyalness into their clones. [/Offtopic]
im talking about the stormies the empire stopped cloning for some reason (which was stupid) andstrted recruiting of course there were some cloned soldiers left but the non clones were influenced by the force

it was in the thrawn triology i think in book 2.

now to micahc* SW physics my be diffrent although i dont believe it. but i believe that some weapons are able to defy the electic shielding thing on spartans. if you think about it a spartan has one thing on his side that i find useful, instant weapon/vehicle delivery(Halo 1 pc demo mission) also it is almost impossible to apply logics to these games(tried and failed).

Bomberman65
06-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Well the Stormys are led to believe that the Rebels are the bad guys so their sort of brain washed. Kyle thought that as well but when they killed his father and found out the truth he realized that its the Empire that is evil.
But yes stormtroopers are inferior to clonetroopers by far I just wanted to make that point.

Redtech
06-18-2006, 06:50 AM
Wait, so if you throw a grenade, electricity "magically" comes out? I always thought that electricity flows in currents and that air and the Earth are lame conductors (lightning has a huge amount of energy just to get anywhere!)
Some one tell me ECM grenades are real, I'll get back to 'em.

I'd add that the it'd be intereseting to see how badly the empire ends up versus the Gungans!

Micahc
06-18-2006, 08:50 PM
im talking about the stormies the empire stopped cloning for some reason (which was stupid) andstrted recruiting of course there were some cloned soldiers left but the non clones were influenced by the force

it was in the thrawn triology i think in book 2.

now to micahc* SW physics my be diffrent although i dont believe it. but i believe that some weapons are able to defy the electic shielding thing on spartans. if you think about it a spartan has one thing on his side that i find useful, instant weapon/vehicle delivery(Halo 1 pc demo mission) also it is almost impossible to apply logics to these games(tried and failed).

Hey, electricity is electricity, no way around it. Oh and thank you 1_337, you are my hero for the week.

taclled
06-19-2006, 02:33 AM
i mesnt it may have some way of destroying the shielding or something just because he has EMP shields doesnt mean he is invulnerable against them any kind of shielding can only hold for so and so long

Micahc
06-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Yes, but the EC lasts for only so long, and if the Spartan has half of the brain of a brain dead cabbage, he won't run directly into the center of the explosion. The Spartan would make it out ok.

1_337
06-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Yaaaaaaaaay. I'm the hero for a week. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

please take note that my brain IQ is 5 and my brain is the size of a peanut...

It's peanutbutter jelly time,
peanutbutter jelly time,
now way at,
way at,
way at,
way at,
now day go,
day go,
day go,
day go,
It's peanutbutter jelly,
peanutbutter jelly,
It's a peanutbutter jelly peanutbutter jelly peanutbutter jelly with a baseballbat,
peanutbutter jelly peanutbutter jelly peanutbutter jelly with a baseballbat...

Are you going to make an omlet with that egg???

taclled
06-21-2006, 03:30 AM
okay 1_337 get a life
anyways the Commando would throw the grenade so it would hit the spartan or get it quite close and could keep it under constant barrage

Micahc
06-21-2006, 08:09 AM
And the Spartan couldn't why? Try to keep someone under constant barrage with grenades, they'll run right for you.

Niner_777
06-21-2006, 09:45 AM
The Spartan could try to keep someone under constant barrage with gernades, but he can only carry a maximum of... 4, I think?(probably more) A commando can carry a maximum of twenty, something like that.

taclled
06-21-2006, 09:59 AM
spartans can carry 8 grenades 4 plasma and 4 normal

Micahc
06-21-2006, 09:25 PM
The Spartan could try to keep someone under constant barrage with gernades, but he can only carry a maximum of... 4, I think?(probably more) A commando can carry a maximum of twenty, something like that.
So? The Spartan could just charge in and beat the crap out of the Commando, you can't fire and lob 'nades at once.

taclled
06-22-2006, 02:45 AM
i must disagree with that a commando could hold his dc-17 with ine hand and throw grenades with the other. im sure a spartan could do the same

Bomberman65
06-24-2006, 08:34 PM
So? The Spartan could just charge in and beat the crap out of the Commando, you can't fire and lob 'nades at once.

Bull. Its possible to do both. What world are you living in? No offence

MachineCult
06-25-2006, 08:05 AM
lol Yeah Micahc, stop and think, you only need one hand to throw a grenade, and one hand fo fire a gun.

Micahc
06-25-2006, 06:44 PM
But you need two hands to fire accurately, and your whole body to throw accurately. c'mon Machine Cult; use your head :p

Niner_777
06-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I bet that a commando could fire accurately with one hand and throw accurately with one arm. They do it in the game, lol.

taclled
06-26-2006, 07:16 AM
exactly a spartan could probably dio the same

MachineCult
06-26-2006, 07:28 AM
lol, Micahc fails.

Micahc
06-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Throw a basebal and shoot a gun at the same time and hit your target with both, then you can get back to me.

MachineCult
06-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Throw a basebal and shoot a gun at the same time and hit your target with both, then you can get back to me.
We aren't talking about me or you, we're talking about elite military commandos. I don't know why we are even arguing about this, who started it?
You can't throw a grenade and shoot a gun in either game, and why would you? You take cover when throwing a grenade because you're vulnerable.

Niner_777
06-26-2006, 09:32 AM
True, I bet that it would be smarter to take cover. I'd think that the commando would know that, and I'd hope that the Spartan would too. It seems like the Master Chief utilizes luck to survive rather than knowledge, more of the time. This may not be true, but that's the idea I'm getting from reading First Strike.

taclled
06-27-2006, 03:59 AM
i couldnt case one i cant get a gun and 2 i cant throw a baseball for ****

Redtech
06-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Nice way to argue over "online penis size".

In Halo, you can't shoot and throw a grenade anyway.
Neither can Commandos.

Alan Frost
06-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Man you guys are FREAKS!. But in a good way. I have one question. What if they work together? Wouldnt they be a unstopable force? I mean from what i heard so far they are practicly gods among men which I agree, but find me a reason why would they fight? They arent even in a same universe, but hec thats would be a blast seeing them fight! Imagine them manouvering each other truying to even harm one another. The grenades exploding and guns blazing in a fight that lasts all day untill they use up all of their ammo. And then they fo into melle... That could be a movie of a century! Of course if Uvve Ball would direct it, it would be thrown into toxic waste never to see the light of day.
O.o, im starting to feel a chill down my spine. BRRRRRRR...

Alan Frost
06-27-2006, 10:25 AM
By the way I'm new so forgive me when I say i dont know who would win.

MachineCult
06-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Yeah, we can all tell you're new, don't double post, and that would make a terrible movie.

Alan Frost
06-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Maybe, but we will never know will we?

taclled
06-28-2006, 02:07 AM
already the way you put it made me get up bang head on the wall a few times and come back and type this. i mean the only thing happening in that movie then would be a bunchof shooting and maybe an ammo depletion crisis.

Alan Frost
06-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Don't forget kicking the ass of the real enemy :king1:.
If you ask me I vote for Spartan, because he saved Earth many times and none of the Deltas did that. :swrd2:

MachineCult
06-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Great logic, Alan, how could the Commandos save Earth? RC is a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
I'm curious, when did this "Spartan" you're refering to save Earth many times?

Niner_777
06-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I hear that they fight to save Earth in Halo 2, but it isn't just a spartan. It's the combined force of basically all humans.

Halo_92
06-30-2006, 12:28 AM
The commandos are good, but the spartans are better. Think about it, a squad of commandos against a squad of spartans. The commandos would lose.

Bomberman65
06-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Hell no. It would be even. and the commandos saved the galaxy cause if they were never created then they wouldn't set events in motion for the Jedi and Sith so you would never have Kenobi and the clones finding Grevious and I could on and on but you get my point.

taclled
06-30-2006, 03:30 AM
also many things in the SW timeline would be different if the commandoes werent created cause the whole war would have lasted longer.

Alan Frost
06-30-2006, 04:50 AM
True, true, very true. But didnt John-117 saved Earth by not activating Halo?
I mean if it was activated it would destroy the source of food for Flood which would mean destruction of planets maybe even Earth itself?
But Im off the topic, so a squad of Spartans vs squad of Deltas= even.

taclled
06-30-2006, 08:52 AM
i would believe the outcome in a battle with a squad of Spartans vs a squad of commandoes would have the terrain play a big part of it

Niner_777
06-30-2006, 10:12 AM
I agree with taclled. The terrain would play a big part in the battle. And remember, if we're talking squads, the commandos have a lot more than they'd have alone. An E-Web turret would come into play, as would a designated squad sniper and a demolitions expert, capable of leveling an entire hill. I think if we bring this to squads, the commandos just get even better equipped. Sure, the Spartans will gain more equipment, but not as much expodentially as the commandos do.

taclled
06-30-2006, 11:13 AM
unless of course U get scorch as the Demo expert. hel'l level a planet and then say sorry lol. also the commandos can request other foregin equipment and a BlasTech EWHB-12 or a VLD2261 laser cannon would come into play as would numerous mines and thermal tape

Halo_92
06-30-2006, 02:02 PM
What about a canyon with two bases on each side with trenches in the middle? Similer to the muti-player level Blood Gulch on Halo. it would be even

Halo_92
06-30-2006, 02:07 PM
What if one commando(lets say "Boss") vs Master Chief. No armour, No weapons, NOTHING. It would be an even match. What do you think taclled, Niner_777, BM-65?

Niner_777
06-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Boss vs Master Chief, no armor, no weapons, NOTHING. - No doubt, Master Chief would win. He could use his high speed and strong muscles to hunt down Boss and tear him apart. The only chance that Boss would have would be if he could hit Master Chief in one of his pressure points hard enough while Master Chief was cradleing him.

However, squad vs squad on Blood Gultch. I don't think that it would be even. The commandos would be able to win if they were attacking or defending. A squad of commandos just has way too much equippment. They could set up their turret on a canyon wall or inside the base. They have tons of explosives compared to the Spartans frag gernades. And they have snipers. Just too much equipment...

TIAIMO

Halo_92
06-30-2006, 03:40 PM
i agree with niner

Halo_92
06-30-2006, 03:40 PM
have you played halo before? niner?

MachineCult
06-30-2006, 03:46 PM
lol, O.K. Niner, without armour Boss would be huge compared to Master Chief, the ARCs and Commandos are really well built unlike the normal troopers.
How about the Grand Army of the Republic, including Jedi Generals and Star Destroyers versus whatever the name of Earths army on Halo.
My bet is with the Republic.

Halo92, don't double post.

Halo_92
06-30-2006, 04:04 PM
what we need is for somebody who hasen't played either one and watch a cinematic from both games. a little new to this.

Niner_777
06-30-2006, 04:30 PM
I've played most of the first Halo at my friend's house. MachineCult, I didn't know the size difference. I just figured that Spartans were bigger and stronger because of their augmentations. I do know that clones are 1.83 meters tall.

MachineCult
06-30-2006, 05:28 PM
halo92, ffs, delete your first and third posts in that triple post thing you've got going on, click edit to do so.
Niner, my guess was that Boss and Master Chief were evenly matched but I wasn't aware of Master Chiefs augs.
lol, like I said before, Grand Army of the Republic, including Jedi Generals and Star Destroyers versus whatever the name of Earths army on Halo.

Alan Frost
06-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Republic would probably win but about John-117 and Boss hand to hand, John would win because of his augs. Man Spartans are more inteligent, more stronger, more deadly than a avarage human, and very tough to kill. I read about it in Wikipedia. Clones, even Commandos are copies of a ordinary Mandalorian (human). I dont say they are weak but Spartan in his full battle armor weigs 450 kilos and height 2,1 meters. Thats a lot of muscle.

taclled
06-30-2006, 05:53 PM
i must say jango is far from ordinary, even for mandos, who are mostly mercs.
I will tell you Mr. Frost that Spartans are not more intelligent or deadlier than commandos. And strength is hard to compare since not many ppl know whats under there Katarn Armor

Alan Frost
06-30-2006, 06:20 PM
clap, clap, clap

MachineCult
06-30-2006, 06:49 PM
clap, clap, clap
What an intelligent contribution.

taclled, I haven't been able to find a picture but the ARC trooper Alpha was captured by Asajj Ventress and he and Obi-wan escaped without his armour, basically just wearing a vest and boxershorts and he was built like Arnie, the Commandos are the same as the ARCs, just put to different use. So what i'm saying is the Commandos are extremely well built, you can tell by the size of the armour compared with the normal Clone armour and the Spartans armour.
Also, can we have a source for the Spartans augs? Because all I remember being mentioned in the game is Master Chiefs armour.

Niner_777
06-30-2006, 07:48 PM
The source for the Spartans' augs for me was Fall of Reach. I think that they described it pretty well.

Also, in Hard Contact, it talks about how muscular the commandos are. Their diets are balanced perfectly so they have no fat.

taclled
06-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks machinecult and may i ask WHAT in the Galaxy are augs

Halo_92
06-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Augumentations (sp) are, well how do I put this, improvments to help the joints move more freely and faster. I think. I read the fall of reach a long time ago.

also chech out my link. even though its halo its pretty funny.

taclled
06-30-2006, 11:28 PM
oh thanks

Bomberman65
06-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Boss vs Master Chief, no armor, no weapons, NOTHING. - No doubt, Master Chief would win. He could use his high speed and strong muscles to hunt down Boss and tear him apart. The only chance that Boss would have would be if he could hit Master Chief in one of his pressure points hard enough while Master Chief was cradleing him.

However, squad vs squad on Blood Gultch. I don't think that it would be even. The commandos would be able to win if they were attacking or defending. A squad of commandos just has way too much equippment. They could set up their turret on a canyon wall or inside the base. They have tons of explosives compared to the Spartans frag gernades. And they have snipers. Just too much equipment...

TIAIMO

I agree Master Chief would rip Boss apart with no equippment.
But a squad of commandos vs a squad of spartans. Who would win would depend on the enviroment like niner said.
But even though the Commandos are clones and Chief is not they'd be about the nearlly the same in strength if the commando has stims with him. But I still think the Chief would be stronger still.

Halo_92
07-01-2006, 12:09 AM
i agree. but we haven't really seen how a squad of spartans would
do. what do you guys think? oh did anyone watch the video? if so did you like it?

Bomberman65
07-01-2006, 03:57 AM
Two things. 1. we get to read what a squad of spartans in The Fall of Reach and 2. I've got nearlly all the red vs blue videos on my pc.

-Synthetik-
07-01-2006, 07:38 AM
One on one, id say an ARC trooper would destroy a spartan anyday. Given the weapons that they have, republic weaponry is far more damaging than covenant/earth weapons, yes there are energy sniper rifles, but again, commandos have it as initial weaponry. Same with grenade launchers. Commandos are trained better (Jango Fett's knowledge VS regular military knowledge). of course a plasma pistol/battle rifle combo, would be a pretty good counter, yet i dont see the covenant handing out a few plasma pistols

One on one without equipment would swing into a spartan's favor, but again, having augments are pretty cheap and would be a dishonorable victory. Although an ARC trooper would still put up a really good fight, maybe breaking a few bones and limbs before going down.

Redtech
07-01-2006, 08:58 AM
As a point. Spartans are 7-footers in height, they're augmented with horomones and bio-cybernetic implants to increase nervous transmission, decrease sex drive, increase muscular strength and cardio-vascular strength.Oh yeah, and to be so damned tall in the first place. They have optical implants and bone treatments for sight and bone density and strength. In fact the only thing they lack is a strong immune system and maybe live combat experience at start, although they are trained harshly against humans at start.

BTW, most of the upgrades are artificial organics rather than completely machine, so I doubt an EMP would fry them in any way that an athlete on strong dope would.

Alan Frost
07-01-2006, 09:18 AM
The only thing that would really chouch them up is probably Trando Concusion rifle. And dont forget Spartans have sticky bomb wich was wery helpfull to me against almost everything, even Hunters.

Niner_777
07-01-2006, 09:42 AM
I just read this yesterday: Spartans are two meters tall with their armor on. I'm not sure if clones are 1.83 with armor or without. I just thought that I'd throw that piece of information in.

Halo_92
07-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Sorry for not being specific,BM, I men't a video.

Have any of you played Killzone?

Bomberman65
07-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah Killzone is the best FPS on the PS2 but stay on topic please.
I just had a idea I'll make a topic that we can talk about any FPS and stuff like that.

Halo_92
07-01-2006, 11:21 PM
I mean't what if their army(The helgast army) attacked a clone army?

Bomberman65
07-02-2006, 01:16 AM
Oh well it would be a good battle and the clones would just win.......
Please try to say on topic halo92. Spartans vs Commandos!

Halo_92
07-02-2006, 01:49 AM
here is a link to the commando page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clone_commando

here is the MJOLNIR armor page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MJOLNIR_battle_armor#Replica_MJOLNIR

for those who haven't seen these pages. (most of you probalaly have seen this.)

i haven't read the halo book first strike but i was told that a few spartans surrvived? give info please!!!!!!!!!!

Redtech
07-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Indeed they did. If I remember, Kelly survives till the end. Do you want spoilers, because the fates of the others is a bit sad.

Alan Frost
07-02-2006, 09:56 AM
If you want spoilers go to en.wikipedia.org type masterchief(halo).

Halo_92
07-03-2006, 12:15 AM
thx

Alan Frost
07-03-2006, 02:51 AM
Hey I have a quiz question: What besides the Johns armor has the name MJONRIL?

Clone L68362
07-03-2006, 03:21 AM
Despite the fact that topics like this attract misinformed, ignorant fools, and they're just plain stupid, I'll contribute.

Commandos seem to not be able to take nearly as much punishment as Spartans. The shields drain quick, and you can see how much harder it is to kill each other in Halo than in RC Multiplayer. One grande will take down a Commando, but a Spartan could probably survive two. So, if you pit one of each, a Spartan will probably come out on top, but hey, Commandos were never really meant to be a one man fighting force were they?

Niner_777
07-03-2006, 09:54 AM
In the books, however, I don't recall much about a shield on the commandos, but we'll assume that there is one. In the Halo books, the shield is very inconsistant. A single burst from a plasma rifle will drain the sheilds and cause critically high temperatures, yet a Spartan can survive a full on covenent cruiser plasma turret shot!?