PDA

View Full Version : Question about a LucasArts Game

freight69
04-06-2006, 12:33 AM
[Yes, I posted this in the main LucasForums area. I promise not to post it anywhere else.]

Hi everyone, I realize I am a noobie and that everyone here hates threads asking for help, but this thread will be deleted as soon as I get the right answer to this question (if deletion is possible).

I am on another message board and we are having a trivia challenge. The question I've come across is below.

In 2001, LucasArts released the latest installment in a series of well-known games. What was the name of the character who made its second appearance (in the series) in this game?

The clue also indicates it is a PC game. I think it may be one of the Monkey Island Games, but I have never played any of them, so I know nothing about the characters.

Any help, even if it is just a suggestion, would be much appreciated.

//Erik

Alien426
04-06-2006, 03:18 AM
There's no need to delete.

There were a lot of games released by LucasArts in 2001 (http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/lucasarts/2001/). But I think it's Escape From Monkey Island and that the character is Murray (the mighty demonic skull) who was first introduced in Curse Of Monkey Island, which is the prequel to EMI.

Also check out the Mixnmojo Games Database (http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/site/gamedblist.php).

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 05:34 AM
I am on another message board and we are having a trivia challenge.

Isn't asking in other boards considered cheating, then?

Alien426
04-06-2006, 06:54 AM
It's not cheating if he pays me money for the information I provide. That's outsourcing.

Erik, gimme all your moneys!!

freight69
04-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Isn't asking in other boards considered cheating, then?

Doc, Unforunately, the rules aren't posted publicly, but I wrote them and I've copy/pasted the rule about answers below.

7. Any method at your disposal can be used to answer the questions. There are no restrictions on sources. None whatsoever. There is no spirit of fairness to violate as far as this rule goes, either. Get the answer any way you see fit.

You'll have to take my word for it!

Thanks for the input, folks. I appreciate it very much.

Alien, thanks for the reply. Are you fairly sure about the answer? I will check those links you provided.

And send you a million Monkey Island bucks (?).

Joshi
04-06-2006, 08:14 AM
He is absolutely sure about the answer (yes, I'm answering for you Alien) as am I. It was Escape from Monkey Island and the Character was Murray. Thread deletion isn't possible by normal users, if you want this thread deleted, just let me know and I'll be happy to oblige. But for now, who knows, we might get a semi-coherant discussion out of it.

Alien426
04-06-2006, 08:15 AM
We pay with Pieces Of Eight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dollar) on Monkey Island, but you can call those bucks if you want.

Yes, I'm very certain. If you disregard Mixnmojo's release date (November 2000) and use MobyGames' it fits perfectly. Most of the Star Wars games of that year are not part of a series. MobyGames does feature re-releases, so Jedi Knight is out of the race, I guess, even though its prequel Dark Forces introduced a lot of characters...

Alien426
04-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Thread deletion isn't possible by normal users, if you want this thread deleted, just let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.
That's not so. When one edits the first post of a thread this is displayed:
To delete this message, check the appropriate option below and then click the 'Delete this Message' button.
Note: deleting this message will result in the deletion of the entire thread because this is the first post in the thread.
Some jerk once used this on me. He started a thread about pirating games and when I told him my piece he just deleted the thread.

But for now, who knows, we might get a semi-coherant discussion out of it.
Well, I know I like this discussion. I get tons of money!!

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 08:34 AM
You'll have to take my word for it!

So you mean I should take a random stranger's word?!?

*shrug* Ok! :)

Some jerk once used this on me. He started a thread about pirating games and when I told him my piece he just deleted the thread.

:lol:

freight69
04-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Doc,

Would you like me to post the entire page of rules?

It probably breaks some rules here, because we frequently talk like sailors, but I will be happy to if that will help you sleep at night.

I am not a random strange, either, by the way. I have a purpose here.

Thanks all for the replies. Incidentally, I've heard about the MI games over the years and thought they sounded like a good series. I've always played console games, and my favorites were the Legend Of Zelda and Final Fantasy games (especially the ones on PS1). I haven't been an avid gamer for more than a year, although I have played a lot of Lego Star Wars with my 5-year-old. If I decide to try any new games I'll have to give one of the Monkey Island games a shot.

Joshi
04-06-2006, 08:49 AM
That's not so. When one edits the first post of a thread this is displayed:

Well, I know I like this discussion. I get tons of money!!

As far as I know, editing of the first post of a thread can't be done ten hours (I think) after it was posted. So thread deletion can't be done by normal users after 10 hours of posting it...but again, I may be wrong.

As for that jerk, there is a chance he did that within the 10 hour period, that time frame was put in place because when someone makes a mistake in the thread title, or some poll option, they won't know about it until someone replies to it.

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Would you like me to post the entire page of rules?

No.

but I will be happy to if that will help you sleep at night.

It won't.

I am not a random strange, either, by the way.

Concerning this board, you are. It doesn't say anything about your personality or credibility, of course.

I have a purpose here.

Being a random stranger and having a purpose are not mutually exclusive.

If I decide to try any new games I'll have to give one of the Monkey Island games a shot.

You really should... ScummVM (http://scummvm.org/) will help you to play them on modern computers (and other OSes). You have to own the original game disk(s), of course...

Alien426
04-06-2006, 09:51 AM
It probably breaks some rules here, because we frequently talk like sailors, but I will be happy to if that will help you sleep at night.
While we do have a swear filter, it's easy enough to bypass and seeing how the great Joshi is our mod we get away with filthy f˙cking talk all the time.

Then there's always the possibility to say stuff like "monkey's butt" in Chinese (http://fireflychinese.home.att.net/phrase2.html#h) (HOE-tze duh PEE-goo!).

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 10:06 AM
f˙cking

You don't even need to resort to that ****ing umlaut to say that ****ing f-word (****), if you know how to, ****ety **** ****... ;) *duck*

Apropos, they seem to have altered the filter, completely empty tags don't work anymore...
Also, the submit- and preview-buttons are switched comparing to phpBB's buttons, I constantely confuse them...

Ray Jones
04-06-2006, 10:23 AM
So, as you can see, the censor's main purpose is to skirt it. Follow this rule and we can finally have the entertainment monkey's brain on ice.

Alien426
04-06-2006, 10:36 AM
It sends out bad signals to people who want to censor games. We need more freedom of speech.
Doc, I know the ****ing workaround with the doubletags (oops, just saw you changed the size; twin tags without text to be formatted works, too), but the apo is much faster.

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 10:40 AM
but the apo is much faster.

Pschah, I'm ****ing fast, anyway...

Ray Jones
04-06-2006, 10:51 AM
That's why your girl's gone, to put it on this plus the semi coherent level, aight?!

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 11:06 AM
...No, I've never had a girl to begin with... :(

Ray Jones
04-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Perhabs you didn't notice because you're that .. fast?

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Hmm, sounds plausible...

Ray Jones
04-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Amazing theory, tell us more..

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Why do you say amazing theory tell us more?

Ray Jones
04-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Well, because it sounds somewhat plausible, so it is at least not a complete waste of time to take a look at some details?

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Is it because it sounds somewhat plausible so it is at least not a complete waste of time to take a look at some details that you came to me?

Joshi
04-06-2006, 11:49 AM
While we do have a swear filter, it's easy enough to bypass and seeing how the great Joshi is our mod we get away with filthy f˙cking talk all the time.

Then there's always the possibility to say stuff like "monkey's butt" in Chinese (http://fireflychinese.home.att.net/phrase2.html#h) (HOE-tze duh PEE-goo!).

Well, I let you go because of the artful Mandarin swearing. Dong mah?

Ray Jones
04-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Doctore:

Yes. I mean no. At least because 'no' if your mama initially thought about giving you the name "Kommata" instead of 'yes' because she couldn't seem to think of an alternative to "Praeputium". Ja?

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Does it bother you that if my mama initially thought about giving me
the name kommata instead of yes because she couldn't seem to think of
an alternative to praeputium ja?

Ray Jones
04-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Nee, it doesn't, does it?

Joshi
04-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Bi zui!

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Earlier you said it sounds somewhat plausible so it is at least not a
complete waste of time to take a look at some details?

Ray Jones
04-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Jo Shi Lin Lang San Ding Hang!

Joshi
04-06-2006, 12:02 PM
He chusheng zajiao de zanghuo!

Fealiks
04-06-2006, 04:57 PM
oh dont you just love it when people throw foreign insults at each other? Teri ma meri lolli chatte che, Gando sewwer-ghand chukko!

yeah im pretty sure you're thinking of murray, sailor person (hehe i just completed emi in under 4 hours!!)

wow i havent seen a thread with ray and mccoy dominating the reply rate for ages! (what a fưcking awful example of nostalgia!)

edit:
damn that double tag thing doesnt work now :(

DrMcCoy
04-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Don't worry, the other tricks still work...

Fealiks
04-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Damn vBulletin and its EVIL updating powers
or should i say "fưck vBulletin and its EVIL updating powers...

freight69
04-06-2006, 11:07 PM
You guys, of course, knew what you were talking about. I bow down to your expertise.

I've also enjoyed reading the subsequent posts in here. You seem to have a nice tight community and that's cool as hell.

I'm here from the HIM message forums. If anyone wants to check out some excellent Finnish rock music, here's the link.

HIM Official Message Forums (http://heartagram.infopop.cc/eve)

Thanks again for all of the help.

Commander Obi-Wan
04-06-2006, 11:56 PM
You guys, of course, knew what you were talking about. I bow down to your expertise.

I've also enjoyed reading the subsequent posts in here. You seem to have a nice tight community and that's cool as hell.

I'm here from the HIM message forums. If anyone wants to check out some excellent Finnish rock music, here's the link.

HIM Official Message Forums (http://heartagram.infopop.cc/eve)

Thanks again for all of the help.

By chance are you...emo?

DrMcCoy
04-07-2006, 06:32 AM
*refrains to express his oppinion towards HIM*

Fealiks
04-07-2006, 03:32 PM
@freight69: nooo our comunity died out long ago, were just the post-apocalyptic survivalists. Although, since this thread, these forums dont really seem as dead as they did before.... oh and did you get it right (If you answered yet)?

Obi-wan PLEASE dont start that crap.... the "comunity labels" are stupid and rediculous.... emo, chav, goth, townie, greebo.... ITS SO ANNOYING (even though i resent the stereotype labels, i believe that chav is the only label that really should be used.... i also also believe firmly that all chavs should be gathered up, maced then have their limbs amputaded, then burnt to the ground)

Skinkie
04-08-2006, 01:46 PM
We're not dead we're awating the reawakening of our one true master.... Yufster. Until then only the loyal believers are here, prophecizing of when that day will come.

Joshi
04-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Obi-wan PLEASE dont start that crap.... the "comunity labels" are stupid and rediculous.... emo, chav, goth, townie, greebo.... ITS SO ANNOYING (even though i resent the stereotype labels, i believe that chav is the only label that really should be used.... i also also believe firmly that all chavs should be gathered up, maced then have their limbs amputaded, then burnt to the ground)

Odd, something we agree on? Can someone go ask McCoy what the temperature is down there?

DrMcCoy
04-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, I'm not cold, if that's what you want to know...
I have, however, noticed a lack of fires lately...

Joshi
04-08-2006, 04:08 PM
http://grumpygamer.com/images/hell_freezes_over.jpg

Is there something you're not telling us?

DrMcCoy
04-08-2006, 06:01 PM
That's just a promotion picture, you know, for the tourists...

Joshi
04-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Oh right, like those adverts saying Disneyland is the Happiest place on earth. Gotcha

Kj°len
04-19-2006, 12:08 AM
This thread would be so gone if it was anywhere else but here. :p

DrMcCoy
04-19-2006, 10:48 AM
If you want it gone, maybe you should talk dirty 'bout Joshi! :naughty:

Ray Jones
04-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Or maybe we should shove some hungry 'Nagetiere' up your anus..