PDA

View Full Version : Simple Saber Problem

TheGreenGoblin
05-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Recently, I've been trying to use of some of the hilts that have been lying around to make some unique sabers but I've hit a bit of a snag. I'll list a specific example for clarity:

I downloaded two of Oldflash's green lightsaber models from PCgamemods. One I intended to replace the normal green lightsaber model and the other I wanted to make a unique lightsaber. I made the uti and renamed the files appropiately and both models show up in the game without a problem...on their own. Whenever I have a normal green lightsaber and a unique lightsaber at the same time only one of the models is chosen.

I figure this is because they're both supposed to do the same job (replace green lightsabers), now I know unique lightsabers are possible so they're must be some obvious problem I'm missing.

mjpb3
05-30-2006, 02:34 PM
You need to hex edit the unique saber's mdl file. Also, check to make sure that you added your unique saber to the crystals.2da file.

TheGreenGoblin
05-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Okay, I'm a tad lost atm, I sent the MDL file into my Hex Editor and I see the line w_lghtsbr_001 several times, am I supposed to change that line to the new model number?

mjpb3
05-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Yes, every instance of w_lghtsbr_001 needs to be changed to your unique sabers' name.

Say, for instance, your new sabers' name is w_lghtsbr_999. So you would change w_lghtsbr_001 to w_lghtsbr_999 eveywhere in the mdl file.

TheGreenGoblin
05-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Alright, thanks for the help. :D

mjpb3
05-30-2006, 04:40 PM
YVW :D

oldflash
05-31-2006, 02:43 AM
You also need to change name for all 4 planes and dummy.

TheGreenGoblin
05-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Where is that done?

Edit: Actually I just checked it's working fine.

alanrha
05-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Sorry to butt in, but I have what I think is a related question. I am new to modding, and have as yet not made my own, so I have no room nor do I intend to criticize. The problem I am running into is likely due to my own ignorance, but I must ask.

I have made use of several mods that include some of the very fine saber skins that are floating around out there. In most cases the saber is found as a result of the artful placement by the modder in the game's storyline. In each case the saber comes equiped with a color crystal. When I attempt to change the color crystals in these instances, the saber reverts to a generic saber of the newly designated color and the skin is lost to my game-play experience unless I reload, reacquire, and restrain myself from changing the color of the saber (which in some cases due to alignment means not using the skin at all).

To my point then: Is there a way to name or designate a saber so placed in a storyline so that its color can be changed by the player without the player losing the skin?

I am grateful for any insight on this, and will certainly draw upon the guidance any might offer when I begin work on my own mods later this summer. :ears1:

RedHawke
05-31-2006, 11:32 PM
alanrha, it really depends on the particular saber mod, see the particular saber you are using likely is only that one color.

Think of color crystals as 'keys' to unlock a particular saber model when placed in a hilt, so when you change the color crystal you are actually changing the whole saber model. Hence why you get a normal saber when you change out the color crystal, place that crystal back into the saber and it will return.

To make a saber have different colors this requires a seperate new model and new color crystal for each color made.

I hope this helps to explain what is happening. :D