PDA

View Full Version : The benchmark thread

Negative Sun
10-28-2006, 01:39 PM
What apps/sites do you use to benchmark the different aspects of your PC?

I use Fraps (www.fraps.com) to benchmark FPS in videogames and I use PC Pitstop (www.pcpitstop.com) to check the general health of my system and safety issues and stuff...

Other than that, I use PC Wizard and FreshDiagnose (mentioned in other threads in this forum) to check on my CPU, fans, etc...

EDIT:
Also feel free to post any results/screens of benchmarks you use...(other than PC Wizard and similar)

TSR
10-28-2006, 03:54 PM
isnt this like the killer apps thread?
ah well, i dont really have any. Just trixx for my overclocking, and thats about it. I have the knowledge on these programs, but choose not to use them. basically because i cant be bothered with the hassle. My comp can easily handle these, but i'm like a sunday driver with it. barely letting it play to its ability :(

Negative Sun
10-28-2006, 06:17 PM
It's not like the killer apps thread because this one is about benchmarking in particular...

TSR
10-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah, my bad :xp:

Astrotoy7
10-29-2006, 03:15 AM
to tells truth, I dont benchmark myself, but do throughly research components in a build. Often a build ive come uo with is based on one that ive read benchmarks for. Of course, there is the incidental stuff you notice without actually formally benchmarking - eg. performance in doom and oblivion with effects on ;) I can handle both on ultra settings now so Im not perturbed :D

I havent even bothered with overclocking because I havent found it necessary with my AMD x2 4800 :)

mtfbwya

Negative Sun
10-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Btw, what is the difference between the 4600 and the 4800? Don't they both have the same speed (2.4Ghz if I remember correctly), if that is so, why go for the 4800?

About benchmarking, are you not even curious how your system compares against others out there?

Det. Bart Lasiter
10-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Btw, what is the difference between the 4600 and the 4800? Don't they both have the same speed (2.4Ghz if I remember correctly), if that is so, why go for the 4800?

About benchmarking, are you not even curious how your system compares against others out there?
The 4800+ has a larger cache. And, no I don't really care how my system compares, it runs all my games, plays video smoothly, and does everything else I need it to do.

Negative Sun
10-30-2006, 05:36 AM
Does a larger cache make much of a difference?

Astrotoy7
10-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Does a larger cache make much of a difference?

Sure does. Not only that but Intels dual cores boast inclusive cache, making them a bit more efficient at processing simultaneous tasks.

Here's the Wiki on CPU Cache (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L1-Cache). It's pretty tech heavy, but the bit about "Multilevel cache" is the one to pay attention to.

Hopefully, Qliveur or stingerhs will pop along and spell it out in a bit more detail than I have ;)

mtfbwya