PDA

View Full Version : [Other] [NSW ART] Emalin's Various Artworks

Emalin
12-30-2006, 08:50 PM
This is where I post the outcomes of my artistic endeavors. Everything I have right now is non-SW, but SW-themed creations may come later. :^:

TODAY'S POST: The lovely lady Arwen from the Lord of the Rings movies. I've always loved this shot of her, with all the emotion in her eyes. So I set out to capture it if I could. This was done in simple, run-of-the-mill drawing pencils. (EDIT: I've also posted the photo I drew from.)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_Arwen2.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/ArwenCloseupRequiemDress.jpg

Carlo El Sanchez
12-30-2006, 08:56 PM
No offence but i dont think that looks much like Arwen, but its a hell of sketch, you are very good.

Carlo El Sanchez
12-30-2006, 08:57 PM
also, why is her left eye back to front ?

Emalin
12-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Thank you! About her not looking like Arwen...maybe it was her pose in the photograph? I don't know. I can post the photograph itself so you can see.

About her left eye, do you mean why it's slanted the way it is?

CSI
12-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Nice drawing...I like it...

Emalin
01-01-2007, 02:43 AM
Thanks, guys. :)

TODAY'S POST: Not the most exciting subject matter (I prefer drawing people!), but a challenge nevertheless. This was my first attempt at watercoloring, finished early this year. I call it "Idyllic Life."

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_IdyllicLife2b.jpg

Diego Varen
01-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow, that is one good water coloured drawing. Is it a perspective drawing? You are certainly a talented artist and I prefer that to your first drawing. Looking foward to more Emalin. What's up next?

Emalin
01-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Thank you, Pottsie! Yes, it's a perspective drawing, actually done while looking at a still life set up on the table in front of me.

What's up next? Why, I'm afraid I can't tell you. It has to be a surprise. ;) But I can tell you that I currently have four more pieces to post. After that, I will upload others as I do them and/or photograph them.

Diego Varen
01-01-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm looking foward to seeing them.

Torthane
01-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Really good work on both pieces of art! The drawing of Arwen is fantastic, and I recognized who it was instantly. Terrific shading work, good prespective (the eyes seem a tiny bit off somehow; I find eyes and hands to be the hardest things to draw), and the hair looks so real that I think I could reach out and touch it. The water color is amazing too; almost good enough to eat! I can't wait to see some more of your work.

Cheers!

Torthane

Emalin
01-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the detailed comment, Torthane. I appreciate it very much! :^: You're right in saying Arwen's eyes are a little off. Apparently, some of my initial shading on the left eye got lost as I deepened the shadows, and I didn't catch it. It was only brought to my attention after the piece was matted and shrink-wrapped! As a consequence, I couldn't fix it, no matter how badly I wanted to. :(

Shows you just how much I have to learn, right?

@ CSI below
Thank you! (I'm telling you that a lot lately. There should be more synonyms for that word, I think. :lol: )

CSI
01-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Darn...How come I didn't reply this?

Nice job, Emalin. I like your water color picture.

Anakin Skywalker
01-02-2007, 04:06 AM
^ Just as my friend....... I can't believe I haven't replied to it.... :( sometimes..... I swear I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached.... lol

Good Job...... I like the Picture of Arwen, well I like both of them.... :D Hope you keep this up

Emalin
01-02-2007, 09:52 AM
^ LOL! :lol:

TODAY'S POST: Another portrait, completed this fall. This time, I have no idea who it is -- just some random celebrity, I guess -- and I don't have the photo to post, either. This was my first attempt at charcoal pencils. (I just realized something...I've never done a portrait in color! EEK! Must amend that!)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_CharcoalMan2.jpg

Diego Varen
01-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Why was my first thought Michael Jackson? Anyway another good portrait and it is much better than your first portrait, in my opinion. Looking foward to more.

Grey Master
01-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Mmmmm......, he seems very familiar, great artwork Emalin. Looks like a young Anakin Solo or Jacen Solo.
Keep it up!! :D

Torthane
01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Another incredibly portrait! The lighting is really fantastic on this one, and the eyes are really cool too! Amazing how you can use a reletively rough medium like charcoal and make the eyes shine like that. How long on average does it take you to make these wonderful pieces? I'm looking forward eagerly for more!

Jason Skywalker
01-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Those are some awesome drawings Emalin! Keep them coming!

Anakin Skywalker
01-02-2007, 12:56 PM
So I don't start browsing the Forums.... and forget...... that is a very good Pic Emalin... you are very very good... keep it up...

Emalin
01-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Wow! Thanks again, everyone!

@ Pottsie
Michael Jackson?! :lol: You're right, he does look a bit like him...but, I assure you, in the photo he wasn't NEARLY as white.

It's probably the charcoal that makes this portrait more striking than the Arwen pic. It's bold with lots of contrast, which is why charcoal is such a great medium.

@ Grey Master
Another look-alike! I do see Han Solo in this guy!! Maybe Harrison Ford and Michael Jackson are relatives, and this fellow is their long-lost cousin??

@ Torthane
Well...I usually work for short bursts over an extended period of time. Probably because most of my pieces are done during my bi-weekly art lesson. :) I worked on this charcoal piece for a two hour session every two weeks. From start to finish, it took about two months to complete.

By the way, you comment on things that I would also notice about a drawing. Are you an artist, yourself?

@ the Skywalkers (ha ha!)
Thank you both for commenting!!!

EDIT: @ CSI below
LOL! You're just fine, CSI. (Ha, that rhymed!)

CSI
01-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Woot! And darn...I missed this...Again!

Nicely done! Keep it coming!

Emalin
01-03-2007, 01:33 AM
TODAY'S POST: This is a color pencil piece I call "Ruby Glass." I did it about two years ago -- again, from a still life. What I strove for most is detail. However, I started a little too big, and the picture ended up going off the page (as you can see!). I got dinged for it in an art competition. But, hey, you guys can think of it as "hinting at a world outside of the picture." :lol:

(NOTE: The photo was accidentally taken at an angle, so...if this looks slanted...that's why.)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_RubyGlass2.jpg

Anakin Skywalker
01-03-2007, 01:39 AM
So Jason and CSI don't post first and so you can't say the Skywalkers....

WOAH... that is awsome! That's all I can say... good job.... keep this up! I can not wait to see more....

Emalin
01-03-2007, 01:43 AM
^ You don't like how I phrased that, do you, Anakin? *sigh* Sorry. I promise I won't do it again. ;)

After this last post, I have only two more pieces to post. Well, maybe two sketches after that...but we'll have to see. Then it's back to the drawing board for me. (Literally!)

Anakin Skywalker
01-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Awww.......... well can't wait to see more.... after that....... I will be looking forward to the new ones :D You are very talented....

^ You don't like how I phrased that, do you, Anakin? *sigh* Sorry. I promise I won't do it again. ;)

Sorry, but I was born blonde.... I have.... my moments.... lol

CSI
01-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Woot. I love it. Emalin, you're grabbing more and more's attention.

Diego Varen
01-03-2007, 01:56 AM
That must be your best drawing so far, yes even better than your water coloured one. The red vases really stand out and this isn't related to your Art, but I like your new Sig.

Emalin
01-03-2007, 02:30 AM
@ Anakin
Thanks again! Really, I'm grateful for your encouragement, since I hope to turn this into a career someday.

@ CSI
Attention? Nah, just from you guys. And I'm perfectly content with that. :)

@ Pottsie
Gracias! (I absolutely must find new ways to say "thank you"!) This piece is the one on which I worked the longest. And about my sig -- yeah, I didn't have time to edit it before, but I thought I'd work on it today! :D

Diego Varen
01-03-2007, 02:33 AM
The Sig is very, feminine, if I can put it that way. Turning this into a career would be a very good idea, since you're a really talented artist and people would love to see it. And if you ever become famous, you can always say, "I remember that member who kept saying my art was really good." Oh and don't bother trying to find new ways to say thank you. There isn't, unless you translate into another language and I don't mind thank you. Looking foward to more art. I'll be there to praise, praise, praise!

Emalin
01-03-2007, 02:39 AM
^ Pottsie, that means so much to me! Thank you! *hug*

Diego Varen
01-03-2007, 02:41 AM
No problem Emalin. Your Redeemed by Love has inspired me to put Redeemed by Pain in my Sig. Also, a bit off-topic, but what font did you use for that, since I will use it, but not with the pink colour. Thanks.

Anakin Skywalker
01-03-2007, 02:48 AM
Turning this into a career would be a very good idea, since you're a really talented artist and people would love to see it.

Right here in this instance I agree with my friend, he is correct about this. I would be there, making sure you got some apraisal.... most people don't become famous until after their dead.... which I doubt that is the case with you... As Pottsie has said you are a very talented artist.

And if you ever become famous, you can always say, "I remember that member who kept saying my art was really good."

Hmph... your not the only one Pottsie... CSI and I have been here cheering her on as well ;)

Looking foward to more art. I'll be there to praise, praise, praise!

Same here..... as in the past few days... btw sorry I didn't post at first, I just simply didn't see it, as I rarely go to this part of Courscant Entertainment.... so I hope you can forgive me for that... Good Luck with everything... and May the Force be with You.... (and the Force of art..... hehe lol)

@ Pottsie:

My friend, I have a question... how can one be redeemed by pain... pain leads to suffering... and suffering to hate.... hate leads to the Darkside...

:edit:

@ Pottsie, way below, jus kiddin just two posts under this one

I surrender to no teachings except those of the Jedi... it is good to know that I am truely redeemed.... I was redeemed by... don't laugh, I'm being serious... Pazzak

Emalin
01-03-2007, 02:58 AM
@ Pottsie
The font I used is called "Mistral." It's one of my personal favorites.

@ Anakin
I'm just dazed by how encouraging you have been, as well as the others. Even if you don't comment, there's no way I'll hold it against you. You have a life of your own. And the originator of this thread is in danger of pride problems if she dwells too much on getting praise.

Also...if I may answer your question...no one can be redeemed without pain: theirs, someone else's, both. In fact, I tend to think it's always both.

But no one can EVER be redeemed without love!

Grey Master
01-03-2007, 09:04 AM
I turn away from a minute and BAM!!, another great painting appears, like magic.
It's very good!!, keep up your great work!!! :D

Torthane
01-03-2007, 11:40 AM
My goodness! (I feel strange saying that, it's like saying "my intellegence") Another superb piece of artwork! I thought it was a photograph for a moment there! Once again you display your mastery of perspective, lighting, and surface detail. (I bow in reverance and acidentally hit my head against the moniter) You grace us with your prescence here! I swear, games like KOTOR draw the most intellegent people. This place is like a mine of talent and I wish I had more time to show everyone here the respect they so richly deserve. Anyone gotten a swolen head yet? No, seriously, I meant everthing I said, it's a joy to see so much talent gathered in one place.

To answer Emalin's question earlier about wether I am an artist; click on the link in my signature (the one that says, "A Stirring in the Blood") and decide for yourself.

PS: sorry for the horrifically long post; I got carried away.

Dark_Lady
01-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I surrender to no teachings except those of the Jedi... it is good to know that I am truely redeemed.... I was redeemed by... don't laugh, I'm being serious... Pazzak
Right... *carefully checks deck for fear of subliminal Jedi propaganda*

Emalin, that Ruby Glass one is fantastic. I can never draw or paint glass myself. I envy you greatly.

Emalin
01-03-2007, 12:38 PM
@ Grey Master
LOL, thank you! It's because I've had all of these stored in my computer. Soon I'll have to create new ones, and that will definitely take time. :) I'm thinking about doing some Star Wars pieces now. I would post those in the actual Entertainment Centre, though. This section is only non-SW, after all....

@ Torthane
Hee-hee -- I say "my goodness" all the time! Never thought of it that way.... :lol: Anyway, thank you again for your comments! I looked at your artwork, and I love it to death, especially what I assumed to be your portrait of Revan. You're good...I'd love to see more!
Also, I think KOTOR draws "intelligent people," as you put it, because it was made by intelligent people -- and that shows. The story is great, the characters fantastic, the game itself wonderful.
Oh, and no worries about horrifically long posts. Look at mine. LOL!

@ Dark_Lady
Thanks! If I hadn't had something to look at, I wouldn't have been able to draw the glass, either. I just copy what I see. Does that mean I have photocopiers for eyes?! :lol:

Quanon
01-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Darn !!! She's better then me ...

Very nice stuff you got there . You got good skills and it all looks very clean , very jealous about that :D ( I'm a reall messy ' artist' )

Can't wait untill you have a go at some SW action thingys .

I want more , more , more ...

@ the others ; Die you shall , I have forseen this !!!

CSI
01-03-2007, 01:47 PM
[Knock, knock, knock]

When will the next art come out?

Emalin
01-03-2007, 08:07 PM
@ Quanon
Thanks! About being a "messy" artist...hey, messiness can be a technique! Just think about it. :) I haven't seen much of your stuff, by the way, but I plan to go have a look.
Oh, and I've never really done action shots...except for one, but it didn't get finished. I hope to redo it soon.

@ CSI
I'll probably post the next one before I go to bed tonight. Say, roughly four to five hours from now.
Again -- let me warn you I will have only a couple more things to post after this next one.

Emalin
01-04-2007, 12:05 AM
TODAY'S POST: This is my favorite portrait that I've done so far...and the one that took me the longest to do. Her name is Nírel, and she is an elf from a Lord of the Rings fic I began, but never finished. "Nírel" in elvish means "daughter of tears"; hence the emotion of the portrait. My goal in drawing her was to be as photorealistic as I could without looking at a photo the whole time.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_Nirel2.jpg

Anakin Skywalker
01-04-2007, 12:06 AM
WOW! That one IMO is the best, well that and the glass... I like it... but listen to a fanboy ranting on.... :p

CSI
01-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Nice one...But I think the elves should have longer and sharper ears, right? However nicely done.

Diego Varen
01-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Another good portrait Emalin. Could you post the Lord of the Rings Fic here? Anyway, as CSI pointed out, Elves do have longer, sharper ears. Other than that good. One question though. How come all your portraits are black and white and the other drawings are in colour? Looking foward to more.

Emalin
01-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Again, thanks for taking the time to comment, guys!

@ Anakin
Oh, I wouldn't call it "ranting." Ranting sounds much too Sith-like. :)

@ CSI
I actually used a photo of Legolas as reference when I drew this girl's ears. But, I probably should have emphasized the points a little more, as you say. Thanks for "pointing" that out. (Ha ha...okay...lame. Sorry.)

@ Pottsie
The Lord of the Rings fic this girl is from is discontinued. However, I do have another LotR fic, one that I *could* post here if/when I return to it. At the moment, it's held in stasis as I tend to my KotOR II fics.

And, yes, my portraits are all black and white. I realized that myself earlier in this thread! :lol: My natural inclination when doing a portrait is to reach for a regular drawing pencil. Strange, I know -- but it must seem less intimidating to me. I've never tried a portrait in color, after all.

I'm in the process of that now, though! :D I just roughed a sketch tonight. Color will come along soon....

Speaking of color, I like what you've done with your sig!

Diego Varen
01-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Thanks Emalin. I requested help to recolour my Avatar/Sig and guess who did it? CSI: Nihilus. I'm looking foward to the "coloured" portrait.

Anakin Skywalker
01-04-2007, 01:59 AM
@ Anakin
Oh, I wouldn't call it "ranting." Ranting sounds much too Sith-like. :)

Jolee Rants all the time.... so no to me it doesn't sound Sithy... all though we should ask Pottsie, who is half Sith/ Jedi... hehe

@ Pottsie (below)

I know... that was a joke bc of the avy..

Diego Varen
01-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Actually, Anakin, I'm on the light side, it's just that Sion is one of my favourite characters in TSL, along with Atton, Brianna, Mical, Kreia and the Exile. Anyway, Emalin, in my opinion, if I had to choose which you were better at doing, you can do a lot better with drawings then Fics, but that's just my opinion.

Emalin
01-04-2007, 02:13 AM
^ Hey, as long as I can build a career on either art or writing, I'm happy! Writing is much harder, anyway. It's dealing with ideas and words instead of paper and pencils. :^:

The surprising thing is -- up until my last art competition on Dec. 12, I'd never put much stock in my art. Now I'm working on it more...especially after getting professional art supplies for Christmas. :D

So CSI did that recoloring job for you, Pottsie? He did a good job!

Jolee Rants all the time.... so no to me it doesn't sound Sithy...

Hmm...you have a good point, there. Okay, I take back my inaccurate statement. Thank you for your correction, Master Jedi. *bow*

And now I must log off to sleep. Next post is in twenty-two hours. *kerplop, zzzzzzzzz....*

Grey Master
01-04-2007, 09:16 AM
WOW, see what I mean? Just like magic.
Quanon eat your heart out!!! :xp:

Quanon
01-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Very , very nice ... wish I had your talent for portraits , thats the only thing I fear to draw , I succesfully suck in that :)

Just one question : what size of paper is that on ? A4 ? A3 ? or is it custom size ?

Just curious , cause my scanner here at home is to small I can't go bigger then A4 ... *kicks the thing *

Anyway , how long have you been doing art-school ? ( darn two questions ? )

Anakin Skywalker
01-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Her biggest fanboy says leave the girl alone.... she'll get ready to reveal what she wants too.... :p

Emalin
01-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Silly boys! :xp: Don't worry, I don't mind answering questions.

@ Quanon
Thank you! But, I'm not very good at action shots, which you are -- I looked! :D I like your style. It's slightly anime-ish, and it looks good messy. As I said, messy can be a technique, especially with sketches. Do you have more artwork to post? I would LOVE to see it!

The paper I used is standard printer paper, believe it or not. It works for everything pencil, but nothing else. :^: I put it in a clear paper protector (you can see the shine if you look closely enough), and my dad photographed it with a digital camera, so we didn't use a scanner.

About art school, I've never been to one! I take private lessons locally...and I know that sounds sooooooo special, but it really isn't. :) I may go to an art college in the future, though. That depends on what direction I'm led in my career.

How long have you been drawing?

Quanon
01-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Been drawing since I was a little toddler ( make that 5 year old )

But I got serious lessons when I was 13 , I started in my Art-school study thingy , don't know the name for it in english . I had normal lessons to ; like math ( very boring ) ; english , french ...

Now I'm doing games-devellopment : Includes almost everything involved about games : programming , desinging -> concept-art , 3D moddeling ( animating as well ) ...
Its my first year , so don't expect a Kotor 3 of me :p :lol:

Since you got me [B]fired up[B] I'll see if I can post some not Sw related art .
edit : :lol: Darn ENGLISH ! and not blaming some one , even if it was true it was not my intention to go point a finger at some one here on LF , darn ENglish ! :lol: ( blaming my insuperior knowledge of this english to express my self correctly )

If you mean 'fired' as in 'fired up' (or excited), cool. If you mean 'fired' as in 'I lost my job', then please don't blame that on any other forumites. Thanks, Jae

And keep up the work !!! these silly boys are dying to see more !!!

Torthane
01-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh man! I almost went into cardiac arrest when I saw your latest portrait! Why are you hanging around here with us bums? (well, I'm a bum anyway) You should be going to art conventions to speak or illustrating bestsellers or something! If what I said above didn't make it clear, I am in awe of this portrait. Everything about it is flawless, the shading, the sorrow in her face, the tensed muscles in her neck, even the cool border all add up to make this a true masterpiece. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Emalin
01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
@ Quanon

Been drawing since I was a little toddler ( make that 5 year old )
Hee-hee! Sounds like me! Though my drawings then were little more than stick figures with some flesh slapped on 'em.

But I got serious lessons when I was 13 , I started in my Art-school study thingy , don't know the name for it in english . I had normal lessons to ; like math ( very boring ) ; english , french ...
So I take it that English isn't your native language? And yes, I also find math to be VERY boring. (zzzzzzzzz)

Now I'm doing games-devellopment : Includes almost everything involved about games : programming , desinging -> concept-art , 3D moddeling ( animating as well ) ...
Its my first year , so don't expect a Kotor 3 of me :p :lol:
Oh, bummer! I thought that was why you were fiddling with the Darth Sion model! *pouts*

:^: Anyway, kidding aside, that is the neatest career to be in...though one of the hardest, I imagine.

@ Torthane

Oh man! I almost went into cardiac arrest when I saw your latest portrait! Why are you hanging around here with us bums? (well, I'm a bum anyway) You should be going to art conventions to speak or illustrating bestsellers or something! If what I said above didn't make it clear, I am in awe of this portrait. Everything about it is flawless, the shading, the sorrow in her face, the tensed muscles in her neck, even the cool border all add up to make this a true masterpiece. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Wow, thanks, Torthane! I'm glad you think so about the portrait, and I'm honored that you think I should speak at conventions (oh, the stage fright! *cringe*) But, Torthane, I don't think of you as a "bum," nor do I think so of anyone. I enjoy hanging out with you guys. We're all human beings here, and only human beings.

I know I've been given a gift -- but that's what it is, a gift. I can take no credit for it. All I can do is discover why God gave it to me, so that I can use it to honor Him.

He redeemed me, after all. :^:

I combined your double posts--it helps save room in a thread and looks less cluttered. If you need to add a comment, please use the edit function (on the lower right of your post) and add the comment into your previous post. Thanks for helping keep the forums tidy. --Jae

Emalin
01-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Okay...I am wilting fast after a long day. So, I will go ahead and post the next pic, even though it hasn't been twenty-two hours since the last one. LOL!

Next post will probably be in two days.

TODAY'S POST: I did this flower in the spring as a first attempt at pastels. Probably the most fun medium I have ever used! :^: I worked from a picture in a gardening magazine -- a picture I chose with my bedroom's color scheme in mind. If I'm going to hang this on my wall, it has to match the room, right?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_PastelFlower3.jpg

Grey Master
01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Nice flower!! awesome painting Emalin!!
I wish I could paint as well as u!! :D

Anakin Skywalker
01-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Aww...... I didn't get to post first :cry8: now I'm gonna cry, as her number 1 fanboy... I was supposed to post first...

kidding aside...

I think it is a very good picture... you are a very talented artist... you could make some serious Ka-Ching on this... especially since I'd buy a lot of the work myself.... ;)

CSI
01-05-2007, 12:40 AM
So CSI did that recoloring job for you, Pottsie? He did a good job!

No problem and thank you for the compliment.

Nicely done and I'm looking forward to more...Frankly, for me, I like your vase one more as I'm better off production designing than character designing...But it's just me.

@Pottsie below:
:Sigh: Pottsie, you're hopeless...

Diego Varen
01-05-2007, 02:36 AM
Nice flower Emalin. That is either your first or second best, along with the vase drawing. My poor internet has gone slow, so it took me fifteen minutes to get on LF. Anyway, I'm looking foward to more and you're making your biggest fanboy blush.

Quanon
01-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Nice !!! Your colored Paints are the best really , keep it up or something in that line :lol:

And you got it right English is not my language , allthough I had lessons in school , ( think where one of the few country's where they teach so much languages , but hey French is the second language here , so we have to learn it , :nut: )

Anyway , looks like those fan boys are totally going Insane !

Ah, yes they are, and they are spamming this thread an awful lot--so much so that I ended up pruning a lot of off-topic/spam posts (18 out of 80), which is one of my least favorite things to do here. I don't like giving out warnings for spam and you all don't like receiving them. Stay on topic and none of us will have to deal with that issue. However, if this thread continues to get dragged off topic, the offending parties will earn themselves public warnings for spamming.
Boys, don't give Emalin a hard time--Mama Jae gets very protective of the girls here, you know.

Torthane
01-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Yet another wonderful piece of art! For a first attempt at pastels you did an amazing job! I really liked pastels too the few times I used them, but I still perfer the better control given by pencils for portrait drawing (which is pretty much all I do besides concept sketches and stuff). I really haven't used pastels enough to apraise any particular parts of your picture, but I can say that as a whole it is stunningly lush.
I really loved what you said about your talent for art being a gift, and I am so glad that you have used your gift to glorify God in this way, showing the beauty of his creation. And thank you for blessing my life; everytime I see a new work here it puts a smile on my face!

Quanon
01-06-2007, 05:44 AM
Hey , just wondering what do you use some kind of fixer-spray on your pastel and charcoal drawings to make sure they don't "change" any more when they are fininshed .

Cause I like pastels for coloring and charcoal is fun to draw with ( big is the word though for charcoal ) but if can't fix them they would be come a mess and my scanner to :lol: ; Just wondering what you use ?

Anakin Skywalker
01-06-2007, 09:14 AM
@ Quanon...

Whenever I have time and I use Pastels... I use hair spray for it. That's the best thing to use... now I'm unsure what Emalin uses, but hair spray works.

@ Jae....

I'm not bothering Emalin... I was actually tellin everyone, not to bother her.

Emalin
01-06-2007, 10:28 PM
@ Jae
I'm sorry this thread needed so much pruning! I'll try to be careful in the future. Thanks for taking care of it, though, "Mama Jae." :^:

No worries--it's the boys who need to behave and quit spamming. :) --Jae

@ Quanon
Just to let you know, I didn't think you were blaming me when you said "fired" instead of "fired up." I thought you were teasing me, so I was just playing along...but I guess it looked like I was upset. :( I'm sorry about the misunderstanding.

Oh, and for pastel and charcoal, I use an art fixative spray. I think you can get it in any art supply store, but -- since the spray belonged to my teacher -- I'm not familiar with the brand name.

@ Torthane
Thank you! I haven't used pastels since this pic (I'm afraid I don't have any), but I share your sentiments on pencils lending "better control."

And I'm glad my art has blessed you. If nothing else, I want my art to add beauty to others' lives. I used to think my art couldn't glorify God unless it had a distinctly God-centered purpose or theme. Then a friend told me that, in creating beauty, I was honoring the Creator of beauty. That changed my whole perspective! :D

@ Anakin
I haven't been bothered by anyone at all. I've enjoyed hearing what everyone has to say, on-topic or off-topic...but I guess I got carried away. And we need to help make Jae's job a little easier.

Thanks, though!

Emalin
01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Hope this doesn't count as double posting....

Nope, it's not double posting. 2 comments close together is, but a comment and an art piece, or a comment and a new chapter in a fic, are not considered double posting. --Jae

TODAY'S POST: This one I did while looking at a very shiny gumball machine...for an hour every week...over a period of two months. *huff puff* I need to learn to work faster! :lol: As you can probably tell, it's done in simple drawing pencils. I call it "A Childhood Memory." (Sentimental, yes. But the alternative "Gumball Machine" is just plain boring.)

I may have more things to post next week, but that remains to be seen.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_AChildhoodMemory2.jpg

Grey Master
01-06-2007, 11:03 PM
mm.....CANDY!!! one of your best drawings, since the flower.
keep it up!!! :D :D

Anakin Skywalker
01-06-2007, 11:05 PM
OMG......... that is awsome..... and no.... it don't count as double posting. :D I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next... ;)

:cry8: I still didn't get to post first... Gray One you post to quick... :cry8:

CSI
01-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Wow, I like it...But I have a question: why do you want to draw it? I know it's a dumb question, but frankly, I think when you're drawing something, you have something to say to your drawing's reader...IMO, you want to resurrenct our lost childhood history? Then you did a very, very good job. I have absolute nothing to comment on.

@Jae: Hope this is not spamming... No, it's a legitimate question about the art, which is not spamming. :)

Diego Varen
01-07-2007, 05:29 AM
Damn, I wasn't first to post. That is a very good Candy machine Emalin. Each drawing gets better and better. Keep it up Emalin and I'm looking foward to more.

@ CSI: I doubt this is spamming as it is to do with the topic.

Jason Skywalker
01-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Those last five drawings where awesome! I want to see more!

Also...

Can you give me a bit of candy from the machine? :xp:

Quanon
01-07-2007, 08:07 AM
That glass glossy effect is awesome , do you blend out the pencel with your hands or do you do it the 'hard' way be carefully criss-crossing the lines ( sorry my english is failing me today ) like you do with inkt-pen .

ANyway youre damn good !!!

And I wasn't insulted :lol: . Just edited my post for 'mama Jae ' so I could clearifyy my thinking some what better as it can get a bit ' Wonky ' .

Torthane
01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
@Emalin: Very nice gumball machine! My grandparents had one that looked just like that in their house. The shading is fantastic (not that I would expect anything less from you) and there is a real feeling of depth and realness about the picture. I still like your portraits better, but this is probably your best drawing from a technical standpoint. Wonderful work as always!

@CSI: Perhaps it was a technical exercise to practice shading or prespective. I like drawing people best but sometimes it's good to draw something more mechanicle. If you only ever draw organics it can be tricky to then go and sketch a building or something.

Emalin
01-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Wow! Thanks again, everyone!

@ Anakin
LOL! :lol:

@ CSI
Torthane is right when he says this was a technical exercise. If my teacher left me to my own devices, I would probably draw people, people, people all the time.

@ Pottsie
You and Anakin are just alike!

@ Jason
Each gumball costs 25 cents plus $1.99 shipping and handling for having it mailed to you. :xp:

@ Quanon
I'm not sure how to describe the method I used to shade this piece. I didn't use my fingers; I used only my pencil, but did it as smoothly as I could, pressing harder on the pencil at darker areas.
And I'm so glad you weren't insulted. Sometimes I type without pondering how my words could be taken, though they're meant to be fun.

@ Torthane
It's always been imperative for me that each piece comes out looking deep and real. For that reason, I dislike doing abstract art. Though...now that I think of it...I do have an abstract portrait hanging out in my room somewhere. I need to take a picture of it soon.

In the meantime, my friend has some of my work. As soon as she can scan it and send it to me, I'll post it here. :^: Thanks again, everyone, for your continued encouragement!

EDIT: @ Pottsie below
Yeah, I'm afraid they will be black and white. A different drawing style, but still same ol', same ol'. They're drawings I did three years ago before I even got colored pencils.

Diego Varen
01-09-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm like Anakin? That's new. Anyway, will you tell us what you're doing next and does it have colour, or are you still sticking with the black and white drawings?

Emalin
01-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Back at last! But, for now, I'm not posting artwork. I'm posting avatars! :D Yup, that's right. I'm in the process of making them for another site, the Jedi Masters (http://www.jedi-masters.co.uk/jediboard/phpBB2/index.php) forum. And I'm tackling the project one SW character at a time. So, today, may I present to you: Anakin Skywalker!

If you see an avatar you like, feel free to use it. These are my first attempts at avatar-making, though, so I'm sorry if they're a bit simple.

EDIT: Replaced avatars with up-to-date versions.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Ani-Vader_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Anakin-Vader_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinwithSaberRotS2_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinwithPalps2_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinwithPadmeAotC-1.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakintheCutie_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinFanArt_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinDS_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinTPM-1.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinDS2_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinCollage_edited.jpg

And a larger, "fancier" avatar:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinPadme-IdGiveMyLifeForHer.jpg

Emalin
01-14-2007, 01:54 AM
Second batch of Anakin avatars.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinObi-wanDuel-1.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinasDarthVader_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinTPM2-1.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinPadmeAotC-1.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinRotS-1.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinsGrief_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinasYoungPadawan-1.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinAotC_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinRotS3-1.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinPadmeHugging2-1.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AnakinRotS2b_edited.jpg

Emalin
01-14-2007, 02:04 AM
And for those of you who like Gladiator (like I do!):

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Maximus2.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Maximus_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/MaximusBattleCry_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/CommodusSquinting_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Commodus_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/RegalLucilla_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/MarcusAurelius_edited.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Juba_edited.jpg

(Note to Jae: I would've listed all of these avatars in one post, except for the image limit. :( Hope this is all right.)

That's fine. --Jae

Diego Varen
01-14-2007, 05:08 AM
They are all great Avatars Emalin. Perhaps you could do Sigs for Star Wars and Gladiator next.

The_Catto
01-14-2007, 07:04 AM
I can't even begin to believe that i have not looked over this thread, yet!

Every picture is god dang, fantastic artwork! Love every one!
The one of Arwen is brilliant, the only bad comment i have to say on it, would be the eye's. But other than that, great job!

The second one, great water colouring. An amzing eye you have, indeed.

Third: I have absolutely no idea, who that is! But never the less, its a fantastic portrait. Ever perspective is magnificent. I for one, despise drawing with charcoal, i just cannot get the hang of it what so ever, lol.

Fourth: When i first looked at it, i actually thought it was a painted portrait, not pencil drawn! Once again, excellent work.

After all that said ... i really hope the next piece gets posted very soon :D

CSI
01-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Nice avartars, Emalin, but quite frankly, I'd prefer your art...No offense here...

To Pottsie below: I agree with you, this is an art thread. But I hardly think arts and avartars are same thing...But however it's her right to post her avartars here. Same as Pottsie, any sneak preview of the upcoming art?

Diego Varen
01-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Well this is an Art Thread CSI, so Emalin is bound to post some art. Any hints on what's coming next Emalin?

Emalin
01-14-2007, 03:33 PM
@ Mr_BFA

Thank you, kind sir, for the detailed comment! I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread. :D You said you despise charcoal. I take it you like to draw, too? (Wow! There are so many artists on this site!)

@ CSI

No offense taken! I just posted these avatars here so anyone who liked one could use it. (And so I'd have something to show for a week of existence. LOL) I don't intend for avatars to become the point of the thread; after all, the thread's meant for various artworks, not any one thing. When I named the thread, I figured I would need a "disclaimer" like that. :lol:

@ CSI & Pottsie

Well, my friend couldn't scan and send me those pics I mentioned earlier, due to e-mail problems. So she just brought them to me. :^: Now I have to make time for a photography session. (Oh, what I wouldn't give for a scanner!)

Erm...that said, these drawings won't be nearly as fancy as previous posts. They're what I call more "whimsical" creations...the kind of thing you might find in a children's book. My friend did the composition, though, and she laid them out beautifully. Basically, she took my original drawings and combined them into "scenes." And without my knowledge, too -- meaning they made a fantastic birthday surprise. :D

I've actually been thinking about trying my hand at digital art. Though it might be a challenge, it would eliminate the whole photography element. *shrugs* Well, in the meantime, I have two portraits in the works. One is SW-related and will be done in colored pencils; the other is non-SW-related and will be done in watercolor.

Emalin
01-31-2007, 05:33 PM
UPDATE!!!!!

Well, not really. No more pics as of yet. :D But I do have some exciting news. This Friday is the great STATE COMPETITION for art among Christian schools. And guess what? My charcoal and pastel pieces (the unknown celebrity and the flower) will be two of the entrants!

If they win state...then it's on to NATIONALS! w00t!
BUT -- the competition will be tough -- the judges merciless (and Emalin overly dramatic about it). So, here's to a dead heat, folks.... ;)

Anakin Skywalker
01-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Good Luck.... ;) Hope ya win... I'll be waiting to see you become famous, so I can buy all your art works..... hehe.....

CSI
01-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Good luck. And I see a potential that Anakin Skywalker will date Emalin out.

Darth333
01-31-2007, 07:47 PM
How did I missed this thread until now :eyeraise:

This is just amazing Emalin. I love all the works you posted but I must give you particular kudos for the shadings (and the hair on the first pic just looks so real. Love the colors too in your "colored" pics). I really wish to see more of your art! Keep it up and good luck in that competition :)

Henz
02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
You've got a lot of talent love. I especialy love the candy machine.

Jason Skywalker
02-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, good luck Emalin, may the Force Be With Ya' girl!

LOL! Stop torturing the boy! :rofl:

Anakin Skywalker
02-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Boy? Hmmm..... that's interesting... especially since your younger than me.

Anyhow... once again, I want to wish you good luck, Emalin...

Emalin
02-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone!! And special thanks to Henz and Darth333 for stopping by - I really appreciate your posts. :^:
I leave for the distant (well, not TOO distant) city of the competition in about 10 hours. Yup...that's at the very UGLY hour of 7AM.

EEEEEEEK!!!!

The awards ceremony for the competition is also tomorrow, so I'll be sure to tell y'all about it when I get back.
Oh yeah...and I'm entering in the poetry contest. That one will *definitely* be hard. All competitors must write
a poem (of minimum word length) for a topic given on the spot (and in under one hour!). As a friend of mine said:

"DEATH."

But, nay! Though my creative abilities be flogged and frayed, I will survive! :smash:

:lol: Hmm! Do you, now? Never been paired off like THAT before...LOL. (Nothing against Anakin, of course!)

P.S.
Henz, sir! Your self-portrait (well, not a portrait -- what would you call it?) is simply fantastic! :D
Will you be posting more artwork in the future?

P.P.S.
Oh, and CSI...please don't scare me like that. I thought for a minute that you were really banned! :(

EDIT @ CSI below: What??? I don't get it, what's going on? Am I allowed to know?

CSI
02-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Another good luck wish to Emalin, before I was exiled...again. Well, I don't know if I can wait until you comes back, but it seems like I can't. So, before I exiled myself, Anakin is kind enough to let me post my comment:

Patience, my padawan, patience. FTW.

Edit:
To Anakin Below:

Geez, I can't write any fic unless I got Microsoft Office 2007 Vendor copy up and running. However, when situation calls, a Jedi must face the situation, and judge the best solution.

Anakin Skywalker
02-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Patience is a virtue CSI... and Impatience is corruption, remember that.... when your writing a fic.... well that goes for you too Emalin... patience my dear... you will have good fortune in the contest... I forsee that much... bc your really good.

Torthane
02-02-2007, 01:30 AM
God-speed to you. I hope you will do well in the contest, but no matter what place you recive I will always hold you as one of the best artists I have been fortunate enough to meet.

Diego Varen
02-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Good luck Emalin. I hope the compo goes well for you. Even if you don't win, I'm still going to think you're one of the greatest artists on LF (I hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings).

Quanon
02-02-2007, 05:01 AM
:cry8: Pottsie WHHHHYYYYY !

No , :lol: , just kidding :D .

Good luck to you girl , supporting you 300 % , if you don't win I'll fly over to :blast5: those judges .

:p So do well !!!

CSI
02-02-2007, 07:22 PM
^Sending judges to oblivion is not very Jedi-like.

@Emalin above, above, above, above, above, and above:

Well, if you're talking to my Office, my beta version got past due...I have to get a normal version, but it's still on the way, therefore I have to use the trial version for now...

About the banning, I have to say...

Brianna: Pulling a Bindo?
CSI: Bald guy, bad joke.*

How's contest going?

* Edit: Yeah...bad joke...very bad joke...:tsk: - d3

Edit: To Darth333:

Sorry, madam, I can assure you that similiar bad joke won't happen again, as I assured Rogue Nine.

Anakin Skywalker
02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Ok peoples... if Emalin can get on tonight, she promised me she'd tell the results... so... lets give her a drumroll

*snare drums start rolling and continue to roll until Emalin posts*

Jason Skywalker
02-03-2007, 09:19 AM
*continues on the drum roll*

What's wrong with the pulling a Bindo joke?

Also, Topsite? WTF? Oh, i get it, an anagram of Pottsie.

Anyways, Emalin FTW!

Diego Varen
02-03-2007, 09:32 AM
*continues on the drum roll and we're still waiting*

I wonder how Emalin has done with her little compo. Anyway Jason, how did you work it out, or did I tell you?

Emalin
02-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Okay, I'm back! :^: I ended up going to my best friend's house after the competition yesterday, and I only JUST got home. Sorry I misled you, Anakin, though I didn't mean to.

Well, I'm still in a daze after the competition. My memory of the awards ceremony seems unreal because of how giddy I was. But, hey, guess what?

BOTH OF MY PIECES GOT FIRST PLACE!!!!!! :D :D :D

My poem for the contest won, too. That shocked me, to say the least! :^: Also, my best friend won first place in three categories -- mixed media (art), music theory (academic), and essay writing (academic) -- which I think says a lot about her talents. So we each brought three blue ribbons home...as well as a trophy for our school, with the help of another student. Second place Art Cup! w00t!

Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful support. Up next is the nationals in April, which is going to be HUGE. Christian schools from all over the USA, or at least the Southeast, will be competing.

Wow! *squeak*

Jason Skywalker
02-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Good job Emalin! You truly deserved those prizes!

Good luck to the Nationals. PS: Is there a World-wide? :xp:

Anakin Skywalker
02-03-2007, 03:36 PM
CONGRATS! You deserved them.... it's ok... I understand considerably. :)

Diego Varen
02-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Well done Emalin. You and you're friend, even though I haven't seen their art, deserve first place. Are any of these pieces that won first place in this Thread or will you post them soon? I'm really looking foward to more art from you Emalin. It's been a while.

CSI
02-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Well done Emalin. Good job. And welcome back! Same as Topsite, will you post your award-winning pictures here?

Emalin
02-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks, guys! :D :D :D Actually, the pieces I entered are already posted: the charcoal celebrity and the pastel flower. Thing is, from what I've been told, I can only choose one to go on to nationals. I plan to ask my art teacher which one she thinks should go. (Your input would be appreciated, too!)

As far as posting goes, I hope this thread won't remain dormant for long. I still have some pictures I want to photograph and post. However, I can't do the photographing by myself -- not yet, at least :) -- and life has been a tornado of activity lately.

(*sigh* Digital art is becoming more and more attractive!)

@ Jason:
Umm...I dunno if there's a worldwide competition. I doubt it, since this a competition among Christian schools. But, if there was a worldwide competition, I know I'd be creamed! LOL

@ Pottsie...er, I mean, Topsite:
Just curious, but why'd you change your username? :^:

Torthane
02-03-2007, 11:22 PM
I am very happy for you Emalin! I never had any doubt that you would do well, and I think it is wonderful that you did so well! Once again I am truly honored that you would choose to share your work with us. Thank you, and Godspeed at nationals!

Diego Varen
02-04-2007, 05:29 AM
@ Pottsie...er, I mean, Topsite:
Just curious, but why'd you change your username? :^:

I'd be happy to answer that question Emalin. Well I've had Pottsie as my Username here for a year and I was becoming bored of it. I thought of Topsite, being an anagram of Pottsie and requested a name change and here I am now.

Anyway, I'm looking foward to your next piece of art work.

Edit: My personal opinion for what you should use next is the Pastel Flower.

Jason Skywalker
02-04-2007, 06:26 AM
I agree, go with the pastel flower!

Quanon
02-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Woooottt , nicely done Emmy :D !!!
Great , just awesome :p !

Good luck at the bigger contest :) .

;) can't wait untill you post some new pieces for us to see .

Darth333
02-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Congrats! You really deserve it :thumbsup:

As for what to submit to the other competition, well your art teacher is certainly the best placed person to answer this. He/she is the expert and may also have a good insight as to what the judges will be looking at. I'm no art expert. I just know a tiny bit because my mom was a painter.

My personal favorite is the pastel flower. I just love everything in this work The portrait is also terrific (although there is something a little odd with the eyes but it's very minor) and shows the finesse of your drawing (in French I'd say "the finesse of your trait de crayon" but I am not sure how to translate this expression in English) and your ability to make shadings (and the hair is incredible).

Best of luck in the next contest! :)

Emalin
03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Time for an update! ;)

First, thank you guys again for the comments. Your encouragement helps a lot. :D I've talked to my teacher about which piece to send to the national competition. Her consensus (as well as that of my fellow students) is that I should send "Charcoal Man" (the name I've given him in his anonymity :^:). It's rather funny, since everyone online voted for the pastel flower! I guess it looks better photographed. Everyone who has actually seen the pieces has favored Charcoal Man! :)

So, I think it's Charcoal Man who will be going to the nationals. Just a little over a month from now! When the time comes, I'll keep y'all updated.

As for the current state of play, school (and life in general) has been a whirlwind lately. So much so that my art is restricted to the biweekly, 2-hour lessons! I'm not getting much done. :( I do have a few pieces that can be photographed and posted. I finished a watercolor portrait a couple of weeks ago; I still have those old collages my friend laid out for me; AND I remembered an abstract portrait that's been collecting dust for two years. I hope to ask my dad to teach me how to photograph them. That way, I can do so whenever I have a free afternoon. :^:

SIDENOTE -- Ever wonder what it would've been like if Padme had been a Jedi? ;) When I found this wallpaper by Rabittooth, I was inspired to make a custom avatar from it. I tried out some fancier effects this time, and boy was it a blast! :D Here it is...along with its darker version. *shiver*

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Padme-JediCustom.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Padme-SithCustom2b.jpg

Diego Varen
03-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Looks good Emalin. Your current Avatar suits you much more than your previous Avatar. I hope for more art soon, but take your time.

Anakin Skywalker
03-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I eh... I think the Dark one suits you more... ^_^ but this is coming from an Ex-Sith Lord...

Emalin
03-05-2007, 08:58 PM
The dark one, eh? You surprise me!

*pause*

Actually...no you don't. :D I really don't care which one I use. What would be cool is if I could give Padme purplish veins, like Dark-sided characters in KOTOR. The trick would be making them look realistic.

Ooh! *squeal* Now I have a project!

CSI
03-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Keep up good work! Keep them coming!

Quanon
03-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah , the dark one rocks !!! :D

Great effects and hope you can post some more of your great art , especialy that waterpainting got my attention .

Cheers

Titanius Anglesmith
03-06-2007, 02:58 PM
How have I missed this thread?? This is incredible! I love it all, especially the portraits. It all looks so real. I've really enjoyed all your drawings hope to see more. You really did deserve to win that competition. Excellent! :D

Emalin
01-31-2008, 10:55 PM
OMGNOWAYAREYOUKIDDINGME!!!!!!!
I actually have new stuff to post!
And for once, it's STAR WARS stuff!!! :D :D :D

This 'un is a sketch of Anakin Skywalker that I made while the DVD of Star Wars III was paused on this scene. The sketch was done in pencil, then fooled around with using Corel Photo-Paint.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_AnakinWeeping2.jpg

I wonder though, do I have to post all Star Wars art in a separate thread? Seeing as I have only four SW pieces, 'twould seem superfluous. :P

The_Catto
01-31-2008, 11:08 PM
I doubt if you would have to create a seperate thread. This one is titled your various artwork anyway, and not just "non-Star Wars" stuff thread and .... stuff.

Anyhooo .... Nice drawing. What scene was it? I just can't picture the emotion in his face that would be able to tell me. It seems to me that he's hurt, sad and angry all at the same time, which is great, don't get me wrong.

Nice detailing. Use of shadows around his eyes provide the illusion of anger and sadness, I think. Overall it's a very good picture. Perspective is good and the symmetry is also good so nothing that harms the picture was done as far as I can see.

AWESOME WORK!!!! :D

Darth Kalverys
01-31-2008, 11:18 PM
I think it's where he's in the Council Chambers right before he goes to the Darkside.

Nice Job Emalin.

Emalin
02-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks, fellas. :) I appreciate your in-depth critique, Mr_BFA. You seem to know your stuff. If you ever see anything in my artwork that could be improved upon, PLEASE let me know. I'm still young and still learning!

All right, another SW piece. This one is my personal favorite: a slightly cartoony sketch of Padme from Episode III. Believe it or not, the actual sketch is fairly small, but my digital camera sized it up quite nicely. Again, I also messed around with it in Corel Photo-Paint. (Artsy computer programs are WAY too much fun!)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_PadmeWorried2.jpg

Darth Kalverys
02-01-2008, 11:35 PM
This one turned out quite nicely... it looks like water fell on her nose though, but that may just be my computer distorting pictures (like it always does) and her eyes are a little black, but again, that may just be my computer. Nice Job overall... her emotion really jumps out of this picture.

Rev7
02-01-2008, 11:44 PM
You truly have a talent Emalin! Great job on all of your artworks! Keep up all the great work!

The_Catto
02-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Once again, Emalin, you have done a very nice job :)
You have a gift, and I am glad you chose to share it with us.
There is only one thing that really stuck out at me that made me plop my head to the side take a more harder look at the picture.
The side of her face. The shadow, or hair? is covering that edge from the tip of her nose to the start of her hair line. I just looks a little out of place and makes her face a little bit ... bigger, than what I would think it out to be. But this is probably just my eyes playing tricks on me, that have a habit of doing that :)

Again it's a really good picture and you capture the emotion of fear and sadness that shows in her features perfectly. Keep ... it ... up!

Emalin
02-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Thank you very much, Rev7 :haw:

And thanks for pointing out those little mistakes, guys! They must have been computer distortions because they aren't in the original sketch, and I didn't notice them before posting the pic. I've replaced the posted version with an edited one.

Btw, Mr_BFA, in the original sketch the side of Padme's face is drawn with a thick, bold line like her right shoulder is. I didn't think of it, but that must be it why it looked odd. I've edited that as well, if you could check to see if it looks better.

In the meantime -- at long last, a HAPPY picture! And it's KOTOR 2 to boot!!! :D :D :D I just couldn't resist drawing an ushy-gushy moment for Atton and the female Exile....

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_AttoninLove-2.jpg

Rev7
02-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Ha-ha, good job! That made me chuckle (in the good way, of course)! Very, very nice job Emalin, and keep up the awesome job!

-Rev

Emalin
02-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks, Rev. :)

Here's the partner sketch to that. Together I call them "Love and War". (Yes, I know...veeeeery original.) I'm a little disappointed with the quality of the pic below; the original sketch isn't nearly so gritty looking.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/AttonatWar2-1.jpg

Emalin
02-13-2008, 02:09 PM
I almost forgot -- here's one last piece of artwork. Unless I stumble across something I haven't posted yet, I'm fresh out of art to post... though I'm working on remedying that. *wink* This piece took me seven or eight hours to complete, since I tried to be as detailed and realistic as possible. The sepia tone was added later on the computer.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_RosewithBud2.jpg

mur'phon
02-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Exelent work. Your realistic black&white works are the sort that reminds me why we still have "realistic artists" in the age of the camera.

The_Catto
02-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Emalin!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to post, sorry, xD

The edit for the Padme pic is good. The bold line just looked a little out of place for me, but as I said before it was your picture, your interpretation and I respect that.

The Kotor II ones are ve-he-he-heeerrrrry good. The Atton and Revan one made me smile and the action one made me laugh. Nice work.

And for how weird it is for me saying this: I love the picture of the rose. I never really liked drawing, or painting flowers, they just weren't my thing because I could not see the point. Now I do. It is very beautifully crafted, with the detail and symmetry perfectly drawn.
I also liked how you drew one rose fully blossomed and the other not so. If theres a reason behind that, I do not know but its a well designed idea. You give both of the flowers evened (is that even a word?) attention. Meaning that you can look at the fully blossomed, and still take note of the one behind it.

Great work and keep drawing! You truly have a gift!

[And oh yeah ... I'm Awesome xD (I felt that I had to live up to my narcissistic persona :D:D:D)]

Rev7
02-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Great work on the new attachments Emalin! I cannot wait to see more of your fantastic artwork! Keep up the great work. :)

Emalin
05-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Hello! Em here, popping in to post a couple o' pieces. :)

I joined a painting class recently, so for the past four months I've been working with oil paints. It's been an interesting experience, to say the least. :xp: Finally, I've completed two paintings that I deem presentable, both of which are part of a three-piece set featuring flowers.

Here is the first: a rose. (I love roses, can't you tell?) It was done with a picture from a book as a reference.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_Rose_b.jpg

Rev7
05-24-2008, 04:01 PM
(I love roses, can't you tell?)
Oh, not at all! :xp:

Wow. I think that you did a great job with that. Wow...I could never ever do something like that. You have skill.

Emalin
06-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Thank you, Rev!

Oops... forgot to post the other piece. Here it is: a "begonia". What's funny is that I didn't know what a begonia was until I decided to paint one. (Yeeeeeeah, I'm quite the botanist.)

The third and last piece of this set is nearing completion. After that one's posted, I'll have some SW stuff, hopefully.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_Begonia2.jpg

Rev7
06-11-2008, 01:47 AM
That is beautiful Emalin! I love the texture...that is a great piece of work. :thumbsup:

Quanon
06-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Wow, been a long time since I"ve been here...
O_Q I'm such a bad person, this modding stuff is addicting.[/mumble]

Great stuff Emalin, the Atton cartoons are dang funny :p

The rose ( pencil ?) is killer, really wow, clean,which I could pull that off.

The painting looks great aswell, nice bright colours :)

Keep it going girl !

Rachel_Ewok
06-30-2008, 04:28 PM
You've got some very beautiful drawings, I especially like your flowers... they're so vibrant, almost like I can reach out and smell them ^^

Emalin
07-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Thank you very much, guys. Quanon -- yes, the rose is pencil. :) As for the flower paintings, you can see that I loooooove color. It's one of my favorite things about oils; they give you vibrant colors like nothing else can.

Now, at long last, here's the third piece of the flower set. I've had it done for a while, I was just too lazy to photograph it. :xp: This flower is called a canterbury bell ("bells" collectively).

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_CanterburyBells.jpg

Rev7
07-28-2008, 08:50 PM
I love the colors! Awesome.

Burnseyy
07-28-2008, 09:35 PM
wow.
this is just amazing, i too love the colours. :)

Emalin
07-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks, guys. :haw: Here's a fun little piece: the paper palette I used in painting the canterbury bells. When I was done painting them, I took the palette, folded it down the middle, and pressed it together. This is the result. :D It's like an ink blot test in that you can see different things in it. I showed it to several people and got answers ranging from an owl to a tiger to, most obviously, a butterfly. What do YOU see?

It's a relatively large picture, so I'm putting it here as a link.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/PurpleButterfly.jpg?t=1217367753

The_Catto
07-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Emalin..... Glad to see the art is back. :)
The rose, IMO, is absolutely fantastic. I love the background, and how you incorporated both light and dark shadows, giving it an aura of grandeur.
The bells also had a nice palette of colour. First thought I had was rainbow with a hill overlooking the sea. But please ... do not ask me why, lol. :D

The last picture. First I thought it was something giving me two thumbs up, then I thought I seen the predator mask for Alien VS Predator.
But when I looked out towards the WHOLE picture, I automatically saw the Decepticon logo, but admittedly that might have just been the colour that did that for me :P

If you are like me, then you won't get tired of hearing just how good you are, haha.
So, in conclusion: great work, nicely done and keep it up. It would be a shame to lose this talent. The world needs people like you who can brighten things up with your art.

Emalin
07-31-2008, 01:42 PM
I like your detailed posts, Mr_BFA. :p
Decepticon logo? Lol! I totally see it now that you mention it. Amazing. :lol:

Well, here's my last piece for this posting season... the proverbial cherry on top of the chocolate sundae, as it were. I don't have anything else to post except boring sketches no one would want to see. :xp: This is my first colored portrait EVER, so I'm pretty excited it turned out okay. Oh, and I'm also excited because my dad says he'll buy me a graphics tablet soon. Meaning I'll be able to make presentable art directly on the computer! SQUEEEE!!! What I've always wanted! :D

But anyway, without further ado...

GUESS WHO!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_Handmaiden.jpg

Rev7
07-31-2008, 04:03 PM
That is an amazing picture right there. I am not quite sure who it might be though. I think that it looks vaguely like Brianna...regardless, I think that is amazing. The detail on her face is awesome. Your work makes me happy. :D

Emalin
08-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Lol, thank you! It makes me happy that you're happy. :D Yes, this is Brianna. It's meant to be a more "realistic" take on her.

Quanon
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Lovely as always Emalin :p

What that about sketches ??? ^_^

Bee Hoon
08-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I see a big fluffeh tiger!! Lovely works abound, but I especially like Atton and the pencil drawing of the rose:)

Emalin
08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
OMG!!! Forget what I said about this being the end of the posting season. I just discovered a couple of pieces that I haven't posted here! O_O *faint*

Here's the first: a Jedi brandishing a blaster pistol. Except it came out looking more like a handgun, which might explain why I didn't post it. Oh, well. Do me a favor and just think "space western"! :haw:

You might be able to tell who I used as a reference. ;) (Hint: an EU Star Wars character...)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_EvelynSwann-1.jpg

Emalin
08-08-2008, 11:57 AM
The same Jedi as in the previous picture, only in a different pose. That's a vibrosword in her left hand. (And a lightsaber in her right, obviously.)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_EvelynSwann_deux.jpg

HIGH ON PIE 14
08-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Oooh, very nice!:golfclap: You´ve got real talent Emalin! Those last three are especially good. Wow...I honestly don´t know who it is though...I have not read that much EU stuff lately so...kinda looks a bit like Bastilla in the face...bah forgive my ignorence. :)

Great work here!

-HOP

Rathoris
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Mara Jade Skywalker?

Emalin
08-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Thank you, HOP. :) I didn't use Bastila as a reference, though there IS a resemblance. Part of it's the hairstyle. If I had drawn the hair the way the reference had it, it would be easier to guess.

Rathoris -- no, but you're very close! It's someone in that same family group.

Rev7
08-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I love the detail that you put in both pictures! Amazing. That really is all that I can say. They are amazing. As for who they are based on, I have literally no idea for I don't read much EU. :/

Rathoris
08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
ok then it has to be Jaina Solo or i'm crazy :xp:

Emalin
08-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks for commenting, Rev. :)

Rathoris -- Well then, you're crazy. :indif:

:lol: Nah, I'm kidding! You're right, it's Jaina Solo. Compare:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/JainaSolo5b.jpghttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/JainaSolo3-1.jpg

Since this Jedi isn't supposed to actually be Jaina, I tried to vary her look a little. The Jedi is a character in an RPG I'm participating in, and her owner asked me to draw her in Jaina's likeness. :)

PLEASE NOTE, though, that this doesn't mean I'm taking requests for RPG characters! That poor girl had to wait nearly six months for her drawing. Which is why I've decided I shouldn't take requests. :(

Emalin
08-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I finally got a graphics tablet! Now I'm sketching and painting like crazy -- digitally, of course. I think digital art is my niche. :D

That said, here's a rough digital painting of the aurora borealis that I did for a bit of practice with the graphics tablet. Approx. thirty minutes of airbrushing, erasing, and hitting the 'undo' button. :xp:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_AuroraBorealis2.jpg

Rev7
08-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Awesome. I take it that you like this new tablet? :xp:

Very well done. It is a treat to see your work. :)

Emalin
08-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks! I do like this tablet. I've been drawing something just about every day.

In fact, I drew this next piece on the same day, using one of my favorite space photos as a reference. It took considerably longer... an hour, maybe? I'm really happy with how it turned out.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_HomeoftheGiants.jpg

HIGH ON PIE 14
08-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Oooh, I like that aurora borealis. You managed to get a tree line in there too, realy brings out the brightness of the northern lights!

The best part about the space one is how three dimensional it looks. Combine that with the wide variety of colors, the effect is good.I love how in the upper right corner, its black with a few white stars - that gives it a real space feel, and brings out the other colors - great to have so the pic looks like space and not a funkydelic 70s thing. :xp: Wow!

I do think you have found a good niche.

~HOP

Ferc Kast
08-19-2008, 01:41 PM
All of the artworks look very well executed. Better than anything I could do. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work.

Emalin
08-28-2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I really appreciate it, especially now that I'm in new territory. (*gulp*)

Before I go on, I would like to insert a shameless promo for my new livejournal account (http://emalin.livejournal.com)! It's still a bit sparse, but should get some meat on its bones before too long. Come by and visit me! :D

But, annnnnyway. Since this is an ART thread, today I give you a simple practice piece I did a few days ago. I call this little guy Milo. :^: Yes, I know there are a few anatomical blunders...but...I really, really wanted to squeeze his tail into the picture.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_Milo.jpg

HIGH ON PIE 14
08-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I call this little guy Milo

Milo! The few anatomical erorrs are so worth it for that wagging tail. :D

~HOP

Rev7
08-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Love the dog!

The_Catto
09-21-2008, 02:49 AM
The anatomical errors, in my opinion ... don't count. This is a wonderfully drawn and coloured picture, Em. Great work. Hoping to see some more work soon!

[[That would have to be one of my most smallest replies in this thread ever! :lol:]]

Endorenna
09-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Whoa! I just read all of this! Great pictures, Emalin! Late congratz on the contest. :)

I loved the picture of the 'charcoal man', and the pencil rose was beyond excellent! and the red glass one was really really really great! And--I think I need to stop before I hyperventilate!

Seriously, I have a friend who did a year of Commercial Art in college, and next time I see her, I'm gonna show her this thread. I'm pretty danged sure she'll love it as much as I do!

And you like Lord of the Rings as well as Star Wars. :D Don't suppose you like Pirates of the Caribbean? :lol:

I've enjoyed this art as much as I enjoyed 'Return of the Gizka' and 'Consumed'. :xp:

Emalin
09-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Wow, thanks for the awesome response, guys! I feel perfectly at ease about those anatomical blunders now. :)

Endorenna: you're gonna show your friend?! Oh my! Thank you so much! You've just made my day... no, make that my WEEK. :D I'm glad you enjoyed "Return of the Gizka" and "Consumed", too. I didn't know if anyone read those anymore, lol.

Yes, I love Lord of the Rings. In fact, I loved Lord of the Rings before I loved Star Wars! It was my major "thing" for a while, before sci-fi and the GFFA took over. :xp: As for Pirates of the Caribbean... well, I've never been a big fan, actually. But Jack Sparrow suuuuure would be a hoot to draw!

Speaking of drawing, I'm sad to report that I have no new art to post right now. :( I haven't done any drawing with the tablet lately, as I've been rather short on time. Oh, but I do have an oil painting that is *nearly* finished. Hopefully I should be able to post it within a month.

Thanks again, everyone, for your encouragement!

Emalin
10-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Hello again, everyone!

Guess what? I got a deviantART account (http://emalin212.deviantart.com) recently! w00tness!!!!!! :D So, from now on that'll be my most up-to-date art site, though I will probably still post here from time to time. Be sure to visit me on dA!

And now for that oil painting I mentioned. (See? I TOLD you I'd get it posted within a month) :) This was done from a photo that I took a year ago while on vacation in the Appalachian Mountains. 'Twas lots of fun to paint... though I did want to throw my brush across the room sometimes. (Tree leaves are killer, y'know?) :xp:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_TheWayHome.jpg

Rev7
10-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Whoa

That is really really good. Great./ Wow

Endorenna
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
(chokes on tea) Dangit, Emalin! How on earth did you learn to paint like that!?!?!?!?!?

CommanderQ
10-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Wow... you are quite the artist Emalin. Keep up the good work.

Also, Endorenna, one should not drink tea while looking at pictures. From experience, it can be dangerous to one's health. Heh :D

Emalin
10-22-2008, 01:51 PM
lol. Thank you, guys. I hope to become a lot better at this. ;P Up next is... er... lots of things. I dunno. There are so many big projects I want to tackle! I want to try my hand at painting people and portraits. Then again, there's this landscape I have stuck in my head... with a pretty sunset... agggggggggh mustpaintitmustpaintitmustmust.

Endorenna: I learned to paint like this by painting those flowers. As well as painting a hideous starter piece, by which I learned what NOT to do when painting with oils, and which I would rather burn than post here. :D

Oh yeah, and I second CommanderQ's advice. I try to avoid drinking anything whilst exploring deviantART. O_o Seriously, you guys need to check out some of the pieces I've favorited there. They put me to SHAAAAAAME! :cry8:

Emalin
10-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Ooh! I think I know what I'm going to do next. :^:
It started out as a line sketch on paper. Then I photographed it and messed around with it a little in Corel Photo-Paint, and it turned into this:

http://fc14.deviantart.com/fs33/f/2008/297/b/b/Erulameon_by_Emalin212.jpg

No, it's not pre-metal-jaw Malak, lol. It's not even Star Wars or sci-fi. Meet Erulameon, a character from one of my (non-fanfic fantasy) stories. If he looks evil/creepy/etc., that's 'cuz he is. :haw: Though you can't tell it here, his skin is extraordinarily pale, even translucent in places. This is because he belongs to a nocturnal race.

Expect to see more of this guy. ;) I think I'm gonna paint him. After all, he really needs some color and realism, and I need practice at painting people. And then I could go on to some other characters... ooo! I COULD REALLY RUN WITH THIS!!! ::gets excited:: :D

Rev7
10-23-2008, 10:54 PM
You did a really good job with the facial features in Erulameon. I approve. :golfclap:

lol

Endorenna
10-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Ooo, freaky dude!

I definitely like this one!

CommanderQ
10-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Awesome Job, Emalin! Yoou really conveyed the scary aspect of this art piece! Keep up the good work!

LordOfTheFish
10-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Ooo, freaky dude!

I definitely like this one!

QFT.

The_Catto
11-09-2008, 01:13 AM
I love the oil painting.
Use of colour works exceptionally well with the contrast of the shadows and light from the tree's and sun. The scene actually reminded me of an autumn setting, but with less yellows and browns in amongst the trees.
Great work nonetheless however!
Tell you what I really like about that painting though .. is the corner at the end.
It makes me wonder what just is beyond that. Where does that path lead to?

That is something that makes a painting such a great thing. Well done.

Nice symmetry with Erulameon. The thing that really stuck out at me was though, was the big bung nose, haha. Nothing wrong with the overall picture as far as I can see. It would look heaps better when painted and I can't wait to see that.
Keep it up, Em!

Yar-El
11-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Do you like Impressionist paintings?
Camille Pissarro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hay_Harvest_at_%C3%89ragny_by_Camille_Pissar ro_1901.png)

Hello again, everyone!

Guess what? I got a deviantART account (http://emalin212.deviantart.com) recently! w00tness!!!!!! :D So, from now on that'll be my most up-to-date art site, though I will probably still post here from time to time. Be sure to visit me on dA!

And now for that oil painting I mentioned. (See? I TOLD you I'd get it posted within a month) :) This was done from a photo that I took a year ago while on vacation in the Appalachian Mountains. 'Twas lots of fun to paint... though I did want to throw my brush across the room sometimes. (Tree leaves are killer, y'know?) :xp:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_TheWayHome.jpg

Emalin
11-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Wow! Thank you so much, everyone! Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Mr_BFA: "big bung nose"? LOL!!!!! I see it now that you mention it. :D Yeah, I'm working on the painting finally, and should be doing some more work on it today. Hopefully he'll look pretty good when he's done. It'll be the first time I've painted a person. O_O

Yar_El: Yes, I love impressionism! It's my dream to be able to paint realistically, though. So I guess you could say I love realism better, and hope to be able to pull off both styles someday. :)

Thanks for dropping by, btw. And the same to you, LordOfTheFish.

Emalin
11-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Ooo! Speaking of Erulameon being painted... here's a WP shot! :D

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_ErulameonPaintingWPEdited.jpg

As you can see, he has a looooong way to go before the final "hey it's done!" shot. I haven't painted in his eyes yet. There are some maaaaaaajor proportion and shape issues that need fixing (especially with his face), and there's gonna be a LOT more layers, a LOT more shading, and a LOT more clean-up and fine-tuning. My intention is to create a realistic portrait with dramatic lighting. With that in mind, critiques are welcome! I hope to post more WP shots in the future.

If you look closely, you can see the shine where the paint's still wet. ;)

CommanderQ
11-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Well, it's a great start! Excellent job, Emalin! :D

Emalin
01-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Hello again, everyone! :) I hope you guys had a great Christmas and New Year's. I know I sure did!

Well, with the new year comes a new semester of art class (which starts next week) and new art-related challenges. O_O But before I get started with anything like that, I've been drawing simple stuff. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the TV show Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I was just introduced to it this year, and I loooove it. This week I drew my first piece of fanart. Other fans will recognize this as Sokka, a.k.a. Boomerang Boy! :D

It's a quick sketch, so it's not perfect. And I used a handy-dandy how-to guide, so it's not original. But I had fun with it. Hopefully I'll be able to draw better and more original fanart in the future.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Sokka2f.jpg

LordOfTheFish
01-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Wow! That looks so much like the real character.

Rev7
01-03-2009, 01:59 AM
It does! Fantastic work. :golfclap:

The_Catto
01-03-2009, 09:20 AM
It might be my screen, it might be because I've hardly ever watched the show so hence not knowing the character, or it may just be my eyes straining cause they're so freakin tired! That I just seem to think, "should his body be that long?"
Like, haha, he must be tall!!! :lol:
It just seem's to me that from his elbows, to the bottom of his tunic is a bit elongated than what it should be? But I'm thinking reality wise, not cartoon, so don't mind me! :xp:

Overall nice work, Em. As always ;) haha.

More! More! More!

Emalin
01-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Actually, Mr_BFA, you're right. He came out taller than he should be... roughly about one head taller?!? o_0 In that animation style, characters' heads are supposed to be slightly bigger than their bodies, creating the illusion of being shorter than in reality. So, yeah. I goofed. :P I'll go back and fix that, then. Thank yooooouuuuu :)

CommanderQ
01-03-2009, 11:51 AM
GREAT WORK, EMALIN!! ABSOLUTLEY GREAT!

Like BFA@ MORE MORE MORE!

Emalin
01-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Lol, thank you very much. :D

Ugh! Turns out my Sokka has several proportion issues, which is what makes him look "off". I am SO going to redraw him now 'cuz it's going to drive me craaazy til I do.

In the meantime... more? lol, ok. Here's a small something. It started out as a doodle of an eye, then it took over the entire left half of the page. And it ran OFF the page, which is why her head isn't complete. *sad*

But anyway. Have you ever wondered what it would've been like had the Joker been... female?

I call her "Jokerette" (*snicker*). :D

Joker: Ha ha, hoo, hee, ha. And I thought my jokes were bad.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Jokerette.jpg

The_Catto
01-03-2009, 09:52 PM
I likes.
The shadow's on her eye's give great depth and it makes me look at the longer. They're the defining aspect of the drawing me thinks.

At first I thought the outline of the face was too rigid for a female, but then I looked again and found that it was just right the way it was. [Don't mean that to sound anything than what I meant. I meant that, I think males have a more 'definitive' jaw-line and what not than females. But hey, I might be wrong]

Anyways. As I said, I likes.

It started out as a doodle of an eye, then it took over the entire left half of the page. And it ran OFF the page, which is why her head isn't complete. *sad*

Don't ya just hate that!

Quanon
01-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Nice, very nice :)

Emalin
01-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Thanks, Quanon! And a special thanks to you, Mr_BFA. You always give awesome critiques. :) Don't worry, you're right about the jawline thing. As a general rule, males have stronger, more squarish facial features. Jokerette's facial structure is a bit muddied by her hair (and the incompleteness of the pic! :mad:) which is probably why her face looked too rigid at first.

Don't ya just hate that!

I do, Mr_B. I really, really do. :p I so need to complete this piccie. But school starts tomorrow and it'll eat all my time and AGGH!!!

[/blowsteam]

Ok. I feel better now. :)

Ohhh, btw, I have a question for any computer geeks and/or artists who use graphic tablets. For a couple of months now I've been having problems with my Wacom tablet. Namely jerkiness, inaccurate tracking and such, all of which make using the tablet a bit like hell. (Which explains why I've posted no digital art.) I noticed some problems when I first got the tablet, but they didn't seem so bad then. Now I can't stand it no mores!

My dad suspects my computer isn't up-to-date enough for my tablet. So I'm thinking about upgrading, because I want to be able to use my tablet, like, really really badly. :p It would be nice to get a Mac, but KOTOR2 doesn't play on a Mac, so... I'm kinda in a bind!?

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Quanon
01-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Ohhh, btw, I have a question for any computer geeks and/or artists who use graphic tablets. For a couple of months now I've been having problems with my Wacom tablet. Namely jerkiness, inaccurate tracking and such, all of which make using the tablet a bit like hell. (Which explains why I've posted no digital art.) I noticed some problems when I first got the tablet, but they didn't seem so bad then. Now I can't stand it no mores!
My dad suspects my computer isn't up-to-date enough for my tablet. So I'm thinking about upgrading, because I want to be able to use my tablet, like, really really badly. :p It would be nice to get a Mac, but KOTOR2 doesn't play on a Mac, so... I'm kinda in a bind!?
Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Well, I've got a Wacom myself aswell :p

And indeed they can be heavy on your system, my old -now dead laptop- I had to wait now and then for the lines to be drawn on the screen.

Its ofcourse not a fault in the tablet, but the PC who lacks the power.
Mostly with some digital painten, you're going for bigger sizes and higher resolutions.

Most MACs are designed for graphical work, I work on MACs in school ( doing graphical designer, Desktop Publishing stuff xD ) they're great, fast and fun to use.

Though their workhorses and more limited on the 'fun' side, mainly cause they can't run every program thats out there. Recent new MACs can run Windows but then why not buy a decent new PC...

If you go for PC there's a tech ( geeky) forum part around here, I bought a new PC recently, most of the money went into the Motherboard, graphic card and a big 22 inch screen.

I'm not a heavy hardware geek, I asked the local family geek to help me out on a good list of parts that work well together and are reasonly priced.

Emalin
01-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Quanon. Yeah, Macs are geared toward graphical work, which is certainly a desirable aspect. I'm thinking that once I have a decent setup to work with, I'm gonna fall in love with digital art. :) However, I'm not going into art as a profession, but writing. And I like to play computer games every now and then, so it would seem a Mac isn't general purpose enough. Unless they can run good word processors. Then I think I could give up computer games for such a sweet deal. :D

So, yeah. Next question: word processors for Macs...?

Rathoris
01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
office 2007 :xp:

Emalin
01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Oh. Dang. That's a $200 purchase right there. :( Maaajor dealbreaker. Ok, thanks for the help! I've decided to go for a PC upgrade. Now to pester the family geeks about it...

In the meantime, I leave you with a quick sketch from a few weeks ago. It's of a young man called Johnis, the main character in the Lost Books series by Ted Dekker, which I just recently started reading. I'm quite happy with these sketches, especially the two insets. He ended up looking pretty cute! :^: His sword is supposed to look slightly battered, fyi. The one thing I'm concerned about is if his right arm looks properly foreshortened. (Oh Mr_BFAaaaaaa? lol! :lol:)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_JohnisCollage2c.jpg

The_Catto
01-06-2009, 05:52 AM
!!! I'm here !!! haha :lol:

He has a straightened posture so in that case, his arm works relatively well. If he was bent slightly, then it would've looked awkward - but for now, in that posture, it looks fine, imo.
Could maybe bring his arm out a tiny bit, but I don't know if that will make it look different too much, so it would look weird or something. Just experiment if you aren't entirely sure about it.

In relation to the sword: To make it look slightly more battered, why not adding little crooked edges and splinters [maybe the wrong word, :xp: ] along the sides of the blade so it looks like it's seen it's fair share of battles.

I like this piece a LOT. Very nice symmetry and a great facial expression. The horse is good too.
I've heard good things these books. I might look into getting them sometime in the near future.
So anyways. In saying all that, pics are going great, and I'm wondering as to when we will get to see the finished Erulameon painting????

PS: Oh, and insets ... = Awesomeness!!! :D

Quanon
01-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, Quanon. Yeah, Macs are geared toward graphical work, which is certainly a desirable aspect. I'm thinking that once I have a decent setup to work with, I'm gonna fall in love with digital art. :) However, I'm not going into art as a profession, but writing. And I like to play computer games every now and then, so it would seem a Mac isn't general purpose enough. Unless they can run good word processors. Then I think I could give up computer games for such a sweet deal. :D

So, yeah. Next question: word processors for Macs...?

Well Adobe has Indesign, it does work like Word, though its really geared towards pro-publishing.

It takes awhile to get used to it and ofcourse it isn't cheap to get...
There are ofcourse other ways to get :lol: but thats a bit shadey for these forums ;)

If you upgrade your PC, go for memory ( RAMS) and a good Graphic card.
THough becarefull: most PCs can only handle 4 gigabyte of ram and graphic cards have ram aswell, you need to count that in.

Unless you have a 64bit PC with Vista, these "monsters" can handle up to 8 gigs of ram.

Anyway Photoshop CS 3 likes to have at least 2 Gigs, else it'll be slow and cumbersome. Ofcouse if you got an older version thats not really necesarry :p

And cool sketches, which I was so neat in pencil.

Emalin
01-06-2009, 08:36 PM
YAY! Mr_BFA likes it!!! :D Thanks for the advice on the sword, I'll have to remember that.

I've heard good things these books. I might look into getting them sometime in the near future.

Yes, do! All of Ted Dekker's books are amazing. He is probably my top favorite author (as evidenced by the fact that I'm drawing his characters...).

In saying all that, pics are going great, and I'm wondering as to when we will get to see the finished Erulameon painting????

I start back to art class this week, so work on Erulameon will begin again soon. As for how long it'll take to finish, I really don't know. It'll definitely be done before the summer, I know THAT much. :p

Quanon: dude, you're awesome! Thanks a bunch for all the info. :) Yeah, I don't want to fork over +$200 to buy a word processor for a Mac, especially when I'd have to buy the Mac first. AND when I want a copy of Photoshop. All three combined, that would be more than I can afford. My dad and I will look into upgrading my current PC, or perhaps buying a brand new one.

Oh, and as for Photoshop, which version should I go for? Since I don't plan to make a career out of art, it would seem unnecessary to go for professional grade like CS3. Not to mention it might overwhelm a newbie like me. :p At the same time, though, it does have a bunch of great features, and I would hate to buy an older version of Photoshop now, only to buy CS3 later.

LordOfTheFish
01-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Nice pic, Emalin. The facial expressions are so serious, and sharp! :lol:

The_Catto
01-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Good to hear :) Will be waiting for it!

Rachel_Ewok
01-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Lovely! I really like the hair... The facial expressions are so real. ^^

Maybe a little more shading on the horse? (I love horsies. =3)

Rev7
01-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Great stuff Emalin! :golfclap:

Emalin
01-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi, guys! I have a story I want to tell you. It's a story about art, so I think it fits here. ;)

Once upon a time, before I had even heard of my current art class, much less started attending, a young man named Robert was a member of the class. He and the Teacher went to a local art museum, where they saw a gorgeous piece of work with the theme "all things art". This work so inspired Robert that he began his own piece with a similar theme -- art and the creative process. This piece, though on a very large canvas, progressed beautifully, and promised to become a grand masterpiece.

One day, however, Robert got married. He left art class and, unfortunately, left his masterpiece unfinished. For four long years, it languished in a corner, waiting for its maker to come back and complete it. But he never did.

Finally, a year after I started attending art class, Robert remembered his masterpiece and how sad and incomplete it was. In an act that shall forever be celebrated by members of the art class, he deeded the piece over to the Teacher, with instructions that it at last be completed. I had had my eyes on Robert's incomplete masterpiece ever since I joined art class, so I was especially ecstatic. Bubbling with ideas, I approached the Teacher, who gave me permission to pursue the aforesaid ideas.

Now there is untold joy in my heart, for I have learned that dreams do come true. I have been given the great privilege of touching Robert's masterpiece, and I am sure that my classmates and I, with some brainstorming and a bit of patience, can bring his masterpiece to completion.

Haha. Ok, so that was a little dramatized, but it's still awesomely TRUE! See below for pictures! (Mind you, none of this work is mine until the fourth picture.)

This is the whole thing. Can you tell it's BIG?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Creativity-WIPsmall.jpg

Close-up of the bottom half. This represents the nitty-gritty aspect of artmaking -- the rulers, the sketches, the models, not to mention the sheer tenacity.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Creativity-BottomHalf_small.jpg

Close-up of the middle/top half. This represents the creative side of artmaking, with the majestic pose, the color wheel behind his head (which still needs a lot of work!), and the colors flying out of his fingers.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Creativity-MiddlePortion_small.jpg

The stars at the top (unfinished) are being added by me to symbolize another aspect of artmaking -- how we, as artists, are imitating the God of the Universe when we create. He created the stars, the cosmos, everything. Our drive to create things of beauty is a reflection of His own nature.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Creativity-MiddleandTop_small.jpg

So, yes. I'm excited excited exciteeeeedddd. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been so pumped about an art piece before! :D I hope to take more WIP shots in the future, 'cuz I think it'll take a long time to finish this baby. But, yeah, it'll be a real learning experience!

I'm afraid this means Erulameon won't be done for a while, though. Teehee... :xp:

Emalin
01-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Ok, I was going to wait a while before posting something else, but...

AHHHHHHHHH I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my first realistic Atton drawing EVARRRR! *squees and jumps up and down* :D :D :D

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_k2DarkAttonAirbrushb2.jpg

Here we see the scoundrel falling to the Dark Side. Look closely... can you see the animal emerging? :ohdear:

I listened over and over to "Animal I Have Become" by Three Days Grace while drawing this. An Atton song if ever I heard one:

So what if you can see the darkest side of me?
No one will ever change this animal I have become
Help me believe it's not the real me
Somebody help me tame this animal

See what I mean? :^:

I really welcome criticism on this one, particularly on the shading. If you see any glaring inconsistencies and/or improvements that could be made, please let me know. (Though, fyi, the sleeve is supposed to look that way. Reminiscent of being torn by an animal's claws)

Andurilblade
01-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Oh. My. Word. That is AMAZING! I love the jackal/wolf/demon creature in his shadow. And his fingers beginning to become gnarled and twisted, reminiscent of Gollum. And his hair graying slightly. And the slight hint of color in his eye, drawing all attention to that sinister glance. And the mottling on his face, looking as if he's almost turned, but not quite. And the ever-so-slight sneer, as if he's looking at the Exile, despising her for everything she stands for. That is one of the few really realistic-looking pictures of Atton I've seen! I'm going to have to go read Consumed again!

Emalin
01-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Wow! Anni, you saw just about everything there was to see in that pic! The eyes, the fingers, the creature in his shadow... I was afraid nobody would notice it all?! :eek: Thank you!!

LOL. Ok, now I'm really, REALLY happy, knowing this pic made you want to read "Consumed" again. :D

ZimmMaster
02-23-2009, 05:08 PM
You are quite the artist.

Emalin
03-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Thank you very much, ZimmMaster. :)

Ok, time for an update. Here's another Atton piece, drawn for a contest over on deviantART. The contest theme was "Atonement" (perfect for Atton). Basically what we're seeing here are the ghosts that haunt Atton everywhere he goes: the Jedi he killed. He can't remember any of their names or faces, but they're still there, his silent accusers, always reminding him of his need for redemption.

I had lots of fun with this one!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/Emalin_Atonement.jpg

The_Catto
03-18-2009, 06:31 PM
I love this picture, Em. This has got to be one of your greatest in my opinion.
Especially how you have percieved Atton in such a clearer light, and his memories in the dark and gloomy area. It gives it a whole new meaning to macabre. It's almost scary to look at those expressionless faces! And some don't even HAVE faces!!!

But I really like the fact that you have everyone hooded, except for one person. And was just wondering if that was supposed to be someone in particular or what?
I think you've had enough practice at drawing Atton that you have perfected his symmetry and can draw him in any situation - that, IMO, is fantastically awesome!

Once again, great work Em!
A flawless piece of art from a flawless artist.
I look forward to what you will bring next!!!

igyman
03-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Wow. I have got to check out the rest of the pages of this thread ASAP. Great work. :)

Emalin
03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks a bunch, guys!

But I really like the fact that you have everyone hooded, except for one person. And was just wondering if that was supposed to be someone in particular or what?

It just kinda happened that way. I didn't want all of them to be hooded, and I thought I would draw one or two others without their hoods, but then I...uh, forgot. And I was in a rush to get it done, so I had to let it go. :xp: If I redrew this piece, I would make the female Jedi hoodless. The male Jedi isn't supposed to be anyone in particular, but she could be the Jedi that 'saved' Atton. (And in my mind she sorta kinda already is.)

I think you've had enough practice at drawing Atton that you have perfected his symmetry and can draw him in any situation - that, IMO, is fantastically awesome!

D'aww! :D Well, I forgot to note that I used references for both of my realistic Atton pics. This last one especially, since it was the first time I ever tried drawing Atton's profile! I had to erase it at least a dozen times to get it right. :fist: But, yeah, after having drawn him as much as I have, I do feel more confident about it. I don't feel confident enough yet to try drawing him without some sort of reference, but I hope to someday be able to do so.

Once again, great work Em!
A flawless piece of art from a flawless artist.
I look forward to what you will bring next!!!

Thank you so much!!!

LordOfTheFish
03-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Those are great Emalin!

Emalin
05-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Hello! I come bearing news. Some of my friends and I are embarking on a 100-Theme Challenge for the year 2009. (A little late to be getting started, I know!) This means you can expect several little drawings from me in the near future, though probably not 100. The rule is we can tackle each theme with a drawing, OR a drabble if we prefer. (Boy, am I relieved :p)

Anyway, as of yesterday, I've completed my first drawing for the challenge. The theme was "green tea", and this was the first image that popped into my mind.

A monk in his happy place :D

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/Emalin212/GreenTea.jpg

I like to imagine that he's swaying back and forth while humming a little ditty.
Something about "yummy" and "tummy". ;)

Andurilblade
05-13-2009, 11:32 PM
He's adorable! I know, not very constructive, but true! ;) I can't wait for the others! :D