PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Knight Series vs KOTOR

Gug Eyewalker
01-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Which one do you prefer and why?

What do you hate about the other, what do you love about your preference.

Me, Jedi Knight series. KOTOR is too tediouse and entrapping. And I HATE doing math puzzles.

KotO[REvan]
01-23-2007, 12:49 AM
I'd much rather prefer KotOR over Jedi Knights. More because the reason that I simply like it more, and it's funner to me than Jedi Knights is. There really isn't any specific reason why. But yeah, KotOR for me.

Diego Varen
01-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Well I've played the JK series for longer and while it is good to play, overall I prefer the KOTOR series. It has much better humour, better storylines, like in TSL and it runs better on my computer at the moment.

Sabretooth
01-23-2007, 01:50 AM
The JK series is cool, but KotOR appealed to me more. Still, it's hard to judge. Dark Forces II and Jedi Outcast were really cool games, as is Jedi Academy's multiplayer. But I believe KotOR has more of a lasting appeal...

Diego Varen
01-23-2007, 02:38 AM
The only game that had a better storyline than KOTOR and TSL was Dark Forces II. I really liked the storyline in that and Jerec used to scare me, when I first got the game. Now if the graphics had JA's engine...

Carlo El Sanchez
01-23-2007, 03:02 AM
KOTOR is ALOT better than Jedi Knight but remember they are two different genres.

Johnpp
01-23-2007, 04:54 AM
^ Have you ever played JK series?

I have never played KOTOR so I cant make a judgement, but by the screenshots in KOTOR, JKA and JKO ( And maybe Dark forces 2 ) look better.

Prime
01-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I prefer KOTOR a bit over JK, but I love both series. They both provide different things, so I don't view them as "competing" so much...

Jeff
01-23-2007, 10:06 AM
I've never played JK, but I would prefer KotOR even if I had played it.

Titanius Anglesmith
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
I love both series, but I definitely like KotOR better. Great storyline, very interesting characters, and an excellent Star Wars RPG experience. It's also much less boring replaying it over and over again. With all the different choices you can make, it's like playing a different game.

Ctrl Alt Del
01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Probally, these series are my favorites in Star Wars franchise. But I really think I'll go for Kotor.

grievous797
01-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I own KOTOR so im wayyy behind it.

Kristy Kistic
01-25-2007, 03:11 AM
I like Kotor and JK. I still play both...though I preferred Jedi Outcast over Jedi Academy and usually when I play Outcast its multiplayer.

Rabish Bini
01-25-2007, 06:52 PM
KotOR>NWN>JK

That just about sums it up. :p

OverZealous
01-29-2007, 02:08 AM
I preferred JK series. The KotORs had great stories, but JK was more fun for me, probably because of the battle style.

primalunderdog
02-08-2007, 09:49 AM
I like both.

When it comes down to it the only SW game I play anymore is most likly StarWars Galaxies. but I realy like playing the multiplayer of Jedi Academy and RPing.

MachineCult
02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I have never played KOTOR so I cant make a judgement, but by the screenshots in KOTOR, JKA and JKO ( And maybe Dark forces 2 ) look better.
You can't judge by screenshots. KotOR's graphics alone beat JKA's (which were distinctly average), and KotOR's storyline blows JKA's storyline away, which was also distinctly average.

primalunderdog
02-09-2007, 09:36 AM
You can't judge by screenshots. KotOR's graphics alone beat JKA's (which were distinctly average), and KotOR's storyline blows JKA's storyline away, which was also distinctly average.

Agreed

Darkkender
02-12-2007, 03:00 AM
I own both game series myself and if asked which I would rather play it would be the Kotor series. But this is because I'm an avid RP gamer from PNP to a decent CRPG. I'm a fan of Sci-fi and favor Kotor of NWN for the Sci-fi aspect not to mention the interface is alot better than NWN. The JK games are A FPS with a taste of RP but since it is 98% combat and only 2% problem solving RP and holds very little interest for me as compared to a good CRPG like Kotor. While Kotor is heavy in combat about 60-75% it is heavily filled with story and choices and occasionally even the ability to avoid combat. This is true Role playing at it's finest so It will always win out over the 1 or 2 times you get to make a Darkside choice in the JK games.

Maybe this explains why I can be found 98% of the time at Lucasforums In the Holowan Labs for Kotor modding.

Commander Obi-Wan
02-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I only have played the first Knights of the Old Republic game. I am still in progress of completing it. It's addictive. :D

I also have one of the Jedi Knights game thanks to the Best of PC set. I have yet to try it though.

So, I would have to go with KotOR.

milo
02-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Both games are good for different reasons. KotOR has a kick-ass plot and in-depth characters. The gameplay for JK is a lot more fun though IMO.

Overall I prefer KotOR, though JK comes in close second.

Point Man
03-03-2007, 10:34 PM
KotOR FTW! I enjoyed the train level on JA, but I have never finished the game. I lost interest. I have replayed KotOR and TSL several times.

RC-1162
03-04-2007, 12:18 PM
KotOR pwnz0rz, but i love JK as well. its one of the sexiest older games around

MrWally
03-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Such a hard decision for me...

But I haven't beaten KotOR yet. I'm not even half way through. :D

Samuel Dravis
03-04-2007, 02:22 PM
I like both, and I play both for different reasons. So, I don't see why it's a vs. in my case at all. :)

Fish.Stapler
03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
THey are totally different in terms of gameplay, apples and oranges.

However, KotOR storyline > JK storyline.

JKLE_Cougar
03-18-2007, 10:25 AM
JK series for one simple reason... Multiplayer

i agree tho that the JK story has gone downhill since JO but the orginal storys from DF, JK and MotS are classic and i love them

JK's MP kicks the crap out of alot of games MP to this day its fast and extremly fun when you get the right ammount of people :twogun:

spark91
07-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I prefer KOTOR because the story is better and i like a good story in a game.

Sir Phobos
07-20-2007, 12:12 AM
KOTOR and games like it always bored me. So it really isn't fair for ol KOTOR given that JKII is one of my favorite games. :^:

Oh and yeah...the lack of a multiplayer is really limiting for me.

Johnpp
07-20-2007, 08:21 PM
KOTOR may have better graphics, but you have to remember what engine JKA/JKO run off of. The Quake 3 engine was made back in the 90's, but I bet KOTORs was made in 200#.

You got to admit, JA did edit a lot of the Q3 engine code. The models are also a lot higher poly than Q3's.

I would say JA/JO did pretty well with the materials they had.

Davinq
07-20-2007, 09:34 PM
KOTOR has an exponentially better story.

JK story blows (JA specifically)

JK engine, though fun to pull off acrobatics in, looks unrealistic and cheesy (ie lightsaber swings, arms look awkward.)

KOTOR gives off the closest nostalgia to the Star Wars movies possible. You ARE the main character in a story about fighting to save the galaxy.

JK lets you play as friends of the main characters of the Star Wars series, ie Luke/Chewie. Lame. You get to kill the main villain, so what? Luke probably would have done it in half the time.

Final personal rating ratio; KOTOR:JK = 5:2

JoeDoe 2.0
07-20-2007, 09:53 PM
KOTOR for the new introduction of fresh new characters and the way of the old Order, I like JK though, I find both games interesting in their own way.

Ctrl Alt Del
07-20-2007, 09:57 PM
KOTOR may have better graphics, but you have to remember what engine JKA/JKO run off of. The Quake 3 engine was made back in the 90's, but I bet KOTORs was made in 200#.

Don't bother with graphics. Of course JK did fine with what they had at the time, but Kotor didn't, the graphics could have been better. Why haven't Bioware and then Obsidian didn't focused on it as JK developers did? Because JK is a shooter, an FPS more precisely, and that's the kind of game that demands good graphics.

Yeah, no matter what the fans (like myself) may say: Kotor graphics are reasonable, mediocre, 5.0.

SykoRevan
07-24-2007, 02:54 AM
I'm always going to love KotOR, and no game can compete with it.

Well.... until The Force Unleashed comes out, that is ;)

Reclaimer
07-24-2007, 03:04 AM
I like both. Dark Forces was the one which started me into Star Wars games, and I love the Jedi Knight series.

Jedi Academy did slip though. I felt it could've been alot better, but multiplayer kept it going.

KotOR had a good storyline, but some missions were back and forth and got boring. The fights were great though, but I felt it would've been better to just have a lightsaber then spend half the game trying to get one. The mods really have kept this game alive all these years.

I give Jedi Knight 4.5/5

and KotOR 4/5

Gug Eyewalker
07-26-2007, 02:12 PM
A lot of the arguments towards KOTOR are blatantly unfair.
KOTOR graphics arem ediocre for the day, some are alright.
Some fool said the animations in JK are cheesy. Well look at the animations in KOTOR - far worse - except some of the combat scenes.
I will give you this though, the walking animations in JA are kinda odd.
JK was way before its time in so many respects, it is stable across all gameing platforms and vid cards, KOTOR is not.

The combat in JK, since it is not turn based, is more fluid and realistic. And by now I wish there more saber moves, there are a lot of moves and combinations, it just takes some skill and timing to do them right.

If there were another JK series game with a modern game engine, new moves/animations, improved graphics, a good story line, it would blow KOTOR out of space.

Ctrl Alt Del
07-26-2007, 07:34 PM
If there were another JK series game with a modern game engine, new moves/animations, improved graphics, a good story line, it would blow KOTOR out of space.

Yeah, well, I wouldn't go that far. Unless you're talking about graphics? Well, that's easy, especially considering that JK is a shooter.

HK-52
01-21-2008, 09:47 PM
KotOR, is longer, defeated tavion (in JK3 JA) in 9 hours

RobQel-Droma
01-21-2008, 09:52 PM
For me, it depends on which JK game you're talking about. JO and DFII, yea, those might compare to KOTOR, especially since we're comparing across genres. But as my personal favorite, I would have to go with the KOTOR series (especially compared to Jedi Academy, in which I just about hated everything except some of the gameplay features - which could be because my computer doesn't seem to like running it, so I get low framerates, but....).

DeadYorick
01-22-2008, 01:32 AM
JK series. It was much harder in my opinion. Since on the harder levels of JK you always have to keep alert. Because something can jump out at any second and slice you in half. With KOTOR the only thing you have to worry about is timing attacks