PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect

Pages : [1] 2

HerbieZ
02-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes. Mass Effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect) is the latest product from those people at Bioware. The game looks extremely impressive and even though i do not own a 360, i am looking forward to it! The main website located here (http://masseffect.bioware.com/) has all the info you need including screenshots and a few previews from various magazines. Bearing in mind, about two Bioware games back, they released Kotor 1 hopefully the world will work in our favour and in two Bioware games time they will announce Kotor 3. We wish.

Still it looks worthy and even if you are not an X-Box 360 owner like myself, i am interested in hearing your opinions and especially on what features described in the game you may wish to be carried into Kotor 3.

Comments and Questions about the game and me, welcome. :smash:

mjpb3
02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I've got an XBox 360 just waiting for Mass Effect! :D

I've been following the progress of ME for a while now and it -- and Oblivion for the 360 -- are the main reasons we spent the money on a 360 instead of waiting for a significant price drop first. I didn't want ME to come out and me be without a 360! :lol:

Needless to say, but I am eagerly awaiting the release date! :animelol:

SpaceAlex
02-13-2007, 08:36 PM
I don't own an Xbox360 either, but i would still like to know as much as i can about this game. I don't actually plan to buy the console to play this game, but i'm hoping that Bioware will see the light and port this game to the PC one day. :D

Char Ell
02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Yes. Mass Effect is the latest product from those people at Bioware. Hmm... I guess this statement means BioWare's PC adaptation of their Xbox game called Jade Empire: Special Edition (http://jade.bioware.com/specialedition/) doesn't register on your radar screen. :dozey:
I've been following the progress of ME for a while now and it -- and Oblivion for the 360 -- are the main reasons we spent the money on a 360 instead of waiting for a significant price drop first. I can't bring myself to do it, even for a lust-worthy game like Mass Effect. I'll just wait a year or so after the game comes out in hopes that BioWare pulls a Jade Empire on Mass Effect and releases a PC version. If much more than a year goes by and no PC version is announced then I'll either buy an Xbox 360 for $200 or less or go without. I'm holding out hope for a PC version of course. :)

Prime
02-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Mass Effect may actually speed up a 360 purchase. It is that strong a contender...

mimartin
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I've got an XBox 360 just waiting for Mass Effect! :D

I've been following the progress of ME for a while now and it -- and Oblivion for the 360 -- are the main reasons we spent the money on a 360 instead of waiting for a significant price drop first. I didn't want ME to come out and me be without a 360! :lol:

Needless to say, but I am eagerly awaiting the release date! :animelol:

I’ve done the exact same thing. I went as far as purchasing a HDTV last weekend. I bought Oblivion to tide me over till Mass Effect comes out. Now I’m considering getting the internet for the house, just for Xbox live (I’m on the computer and phone all day at work, so I don’t like the idea of either at home) in order to download the added content. Now if I can just get a little sleep before Mass Effect comes out. I just hope it is as additive as Oblivion.

Vaelastraz
02-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I can't bring myself to do it, even for a lust-worthy game like Mass Effect. I'll just wait a year or so after the game comes out in hopes that BioWare pulls a Jade Empire on Mass Effect and releases a PC version. If much more than a year goes by and no PC version is announced then I'll either buy an Xbox 360 for $200 or less or go without. I'm holding out hope for a PC version of course. :)

Same here. Either they release it on the PC or damn Microsoft paid too damn much money so they don't...
Even though I'd love to play it - I will never buy a Xbox 360. I rather spend 1500+ $ on a new PC...

PazaakPrincess
02-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm interested in it, but why another game with no female PC option?

Haven't they got the clue yet that there are tons of women out there playing these games?

HerbieZ
02-14-2007, 01:01 PM
The main character will be fully customisable (although im not sure if there is a female option), you can also choose a variety of team members and not be stuck with the same old ones ala Kotor. So ideally you can assemble a team of kick-ass female Marines.

mjpb3
02-14-2007, 01:17 PM
I already asked about playing as a female PC on the Bioware boards a few months ago and one of the devs answered that you WILL most certainly be able to play as a female. Huge plus for me. :D

Ctrl Alt Del
02-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, Im really curious and anxious for this game. Man, the game seems huge: Galaxy, soalr system and planets. Wow.

RaV™
02-14-2007, 02:35 PM
I just wonder if I can be a different race than a human.

starmark2k
02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
^^^
The main guy is Human but i know there is at least 1 alien and i think there's a robot of some description on your team.

I've been watching this games development since i got my 360 about a year back. I've also watched the changes in its release date and have gotten happy and sad with the shifts.

I like the many differant ways you'll be able customise your characters and even the Ground vehical you have. I also like the Galactic map option.

PazaakPrincess
02-15-2007, 05:45 AM
I already asked about playing as a female PC on the Bioware boards a few months ago and one of the devs answered that you WILL most certainly be able to play as a female. Huge plus for me. :D

Ah very cool, although you would think they would put that in the description!

mjpb3
02-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Ah very cool, although you would think they would put that in the description!

I know! It is definitely annoying that the main description for Mass Effect is so misleading. Which is really surprising for Bioware since they are so good about making games that everyone can enjoy.

Maybe I should point that out in a post on the Bioware/Mass Effect forums?

PazaakPrincess
02-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Good idea mjpb3 , because I was really turned off when I read you will play such and such a character who is male etc. I would be more likely to plonk down my money first thing if it said you could customise your character and be male or female.

I'm sure others feel the same way. Don't they want us to be excited about a new game???

HerbieZ
02-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Im going to try and not be offensive here but it is most likely because a sci-fi fps/rpg is usually not aimed at females. It's the sad truth but surveys and polls usually point to a massive male-teen dominated player base. Therefore they go with the majority. Luckily, this is not the case with Mass Effect, it is just not one of the selling points. Telling your predominantly male fanbase the fact that "Yes, you can play as a Female" will most likely confuse the fanbase and cause a ruckuss in the public forums. If not to delight only a mere 1% (estimate) of the female portion of Mass Effect's official forum whom will undoubtably ask the inevitable question "Is the game aimed at males or females?". Overall, the end result will leave one side of humanity undoubtably unhappy with the result, leaving the developers wondering why they never designed the main character as a genderless or transgendent species.

It would certainly suit the Science-fiction element of the game but alas sadly game developers constantly believe that the player will want to play as a Human and for the most part they are correct. You only have to look at an MMO with multi species character selection and point to human being the large majority of the playerbase. Presumably having already done studies of MMO characters and human preferences to actually being human, the main character in the game the survey was done for will most likely Human. You can apply this argument/case to the Gender discussion.

mjpb3
02-15-2007, 04:19 PM
No offense taken at all, Herbie. None whatsoever. And sadly, all of what you wrote is true.

BUT, Bioware is one of the leading companies to actually pay attention to the small but very present female demographic when making their games, so I would hope that their information page describing Mass Effect will get changed to specify that the main PC can be male or female.

But if not, I will be happy to tell the world. :D

PazaakPrincess
02-16-2007, 05:52 AM
LOL MJ, thanks Herbie... I think we do understand that we are still a minority but I think game companies do not realise the potential in a huge untapped market or women who like to play games just as much as men. Some of us were growing up when video games were new and so baptised as it were in the culture of gaming from very early on , and although we'll play games that are male only PCs it sure is nice to play a female character not just have them as NPCs.

Perhaps game companies play it safe at marketing and creating games for boys/men but if the popularity of games like KOTOR 1&2, Morrowind, NWN and Jade Empire amongst women is anythig to go by one would hope they take a chance on opening their advertising and their character creation to a wider audiance.

In the end they can only make more money.

HerbieZ
02-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Don't get me wrong, i love females, i wish there were more in games. Infact there are times i wish i was the only male in a game full of females. Mass Effect has this really cool alien looking one that looks lile a Twi'lek. :)

One thing im not sure about is the release date on this game, first i thought it was this month but another source told me it was next month. Does anyone have a definate release date?

Char Ell
02-16-2007, 09:52 AM
One thing im not sure about is the release date on this game, first i thought it was this month but another source told me it was next month. Does anyone have a definate release date? Nope, no official release date yet. My guess is the game will come out in May though.

Mister Chief
02-17-2007, 01:54 AM
It has been suggested strongly that Mass effect will be in the spring (going Quarterly). TeamXBOX has been doing interviews with bioware, and something I found interesting is that the game is nearly done, and also that the team working on it is mostly Jade Empire and KOTOR veterans. He said to expect a game that takes the best from both games.
All of the screens have the same PC in them, so I was under the influence that you had a pre-determined character. If not, I sure hope that he is a NPC in the game.

Ctrl Alt Del
02-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Heh. I sure can't wait for this game to arrive. And, knowing Bioware, it's really difficulty that there won't be any character customisation (appearance), especially since there're a lot of kotOR veterans making it.

Rogue Spy
02-26-2007, 02:11 AM
I am definetly getting it for Xbox 360, looks like the RPG of the year for me!

DarthZayne
02-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Heh. I sure can't wait for this game to arrive. And, knowing Bioware, it's really difficulty that there won't be any character customisation (appearance), especially since there're a lot of kotOR veterans making it.

you will be able to costomise the face of your character the hair anything of the head of the main character..

you can read it in the last interview on www.bioware.com

here the interview link
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/021507_masseffect_qa_1.x

Shack: Tell us about character customization. What can be changed in terms of aesthetics, character classes and skill proficiencies?

Casey Hudson: In Mass Effect you can develop and customize your character as much or as little as you want, going even beyond the depth of our previous games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. You can adjust every feature of your face and create a unique Commander Shepard -- male or female. You can choose what class of skills (weapons, dark energy, or tech) your character will specialize in, and you'll be able to develop those skills as you progress -- even adding entirely new skills that add new dimensions to combat and character interaction. And throughout the game you'll develop the abilities of your squad as well.

Prime
02-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Let's hope this game becomes a model of things to come. :)

DarthSion101
02-26-2007, 01:32 PM
I am so pumped, i just wish they had a release date, so we can eagerly count the days and salivate.

milo
02-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Man I am sooooo psyched for this game. This alone is worth getting a 360.

Rogue Spy
02-27-2007, 03:48 AM
you will be able to costomise the face of your character the hair anything of the head of the main character..

you can read it in the last interview on www.bioware.com

here the interview link
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/021507_masseffect_qa_1.x

Shack: Tell us about character customization. What can be changed in terms of aesthetics, character classes and skill proficiencies?

Casey Hudson: In Mass Effect you can develop and customize your character as much or as little as you want, going even beyond the depth of our previous games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. You can adjust every feature of your face and create a unique Commander Shepard -- male or female. You can choose what class of skills (weapons, dark energy, or tech) your character will specialize in, and you'll be able to develop those skills as you progress -- even adding entirely new skills that add new dimensions to combat and character interaction. And throughout the game you'll develop the abilities of your squad as well.

What ? i thought the main character you play as is Commander Shephard, and his default face is the one you see on trailers with short shaven hair.

Char Ell
02-27-2007, 08:05 AM
What ? i thought the main character you play as is Commander Shephard, and his default face is the one you see on trailers with short shaven hair. True. You can go with the Commander Shepherd face you see in the video clips and pictures BioWare has released or you can customize the appearance of Commander Shepherd. A female Commander Shepherd will also be available and customizable.

Negative Sun
02-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Cool, this game is the only reason why I would even consider getting a 360 (and Force Unleashed too), if I could afford it lol...

Here's the GameSpot (http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/index.html?q=mass%20effect) site for it.

Cygnus Q'ol
02-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Let's see...

Which one do I want more
KotOR3 or Mass Effect?

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

mimartin
02-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Let's see...

Which one do I want more
KotOR3 or Mass Effect?

Why decide. I want both.

Thanks for sharing information the DarthZayne, it just made me want Mass Effect all the more.

Rogue Spy
02-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Exactly lol iv already confirmed on getting both.

Ctrl Alt Del
03-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Let's see...

Which one do I want more
KotOR3 or Mass Effect?

Both. But which to get first?

Mass Effect, because it's already comming.

Cygnus Q'ol
03-08-2007, 07:32 AM
I finally did it.

Splurged on a 360.
...and if that wasn't enough, I acquired a Samsung 40" 1080i, LCD, HDTV with all the trimmings.

Bring on MASS EFFECT !!!

...Oh, crap, now I can't afford to buy the game.

mjpb3
03-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't call this confirmation per se' of a release/shipping date, but I was on the Game Stop site checking out new releases and I saw a "shipping" date for Mass Effect of May 22, 2007...

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=200168

If it's true -- woohoo! Only a month and a half... :D

HK-87
03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I absolutely love those Chracter and Armor models...

*ME Seziure ensues*

PazaakPrincess
03-12-2007, 07:08 AM
I finally did it.

Splurged on a 360.
...and if that wasn't enough, I acquired a Samsung 40" 1080i, LCD, HDTV with all the trimmings.

Bring on MASS EFFECT !!!

...Oh, crap, now I can't afford to buy the game.

ROFL yes isn't that the way. I want to buy a 360 but can I wait till xmas? possibly not if Mass Effect is all its cracked up to be. Since there is no sign of Kotor3 in my future (which is what I've been holding out for)

The Sith'ari
03-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Same here. Either they release it on the PC or damn Microsoft paid too damn much money so they don't...
Even though I'd love to play it - I will never buy a Xbox 360. I rather spend 1500+ $ on a new PC...

The 360 is cool with loads of exciting titles and live capabilities, and it doesn't even cost half of $1500+. Plus it sets a single standard that the industry can conform to until the next generation console comes out, which will be 5-7 years later, thus there is no need to make regular graphics card upgrades- saves you a lot of money. Unless you're only interested in games that allow modding, IMO the 360 is a much more cost-effective choice.

swphreak
03-14-2007, 04:46 PM
The Doctors have said that they will not be showing Mass Effect at E3, so the game should be out by May or June.

I've been waiting for this game to come out since I heard about it a long while ago. The sheer scope of the game just looks awesome, and it's next-gen.

What I really want is BioWare to make KoToR3, or loan the Mass Effect engine to whoever does. Imagine it: The entire Star Wars galaxy could be in the game, and we could explore each one of them.

HerbieZ
03-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Yeah phreak, i think if that ever happened, i can kiss my social life goodbye.

Cygnus Q'ol
03-16-2007, 08:18 AM

What's a social life?

Is that a new game and

...is it out for 360?

Ghost Down
03-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Will ME eventually be available for PC? Cause I don't wanna spend €300,- on a Xbox 360..

- Ghost Down

mjpb3
03-16-2007, 10:32 AM
So sad... gaming is my social life! :rolleyes: :lol: :D ;)

Will ME eventually be available for PC? Cause I don't wanna spend €300,- on a Xbox 360..
No one knows just yet. But seeing as how Bioware re-released Jade Empire (which was supposed to be strictly for the XBox) as a PC game, then chances are good that Mass Effect will eventually be released as a PC game. Or at least we can hope, eh? ;)

Truthfully, I don't care whether it's released for the XBox 360, PC, or even on the XBox--just so long as it is released on a platform that I can play! :emodanc:

In case you can't tell, I am very much looking forward to Mass Effect! :D

oldflash
03-16-2007, 11:05 AM
I really hope to be also release for PC because I don't have a xbox and even worse, I have restricted acces to TV.

darthcarth
03-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah i realy hope it will be made for the pc, but if it doesnt then it looks like i might be buying a 360 intead of a new gfx card.

HK-87
03-17-2007, 10:43 PM
If it IS made for PC, the problem will be if any of us have the specs to run it :(

Phreak, if that does happen, then no one will ever post on the Forums. Ever.

Jeff
03-17-2007, 10:47 PM
I might have to get a 360 for this. I've been wanting one for a while and the list of games I want for it are building up. Gears of War, Force Unleashed, this... The game looks so kickass.

swphreak
03-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Links galore for you people.

Here are some interviews:
GDC 07 - with the Doctors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib9TegyQVYs)
Gamespot's "On the Spot" - Project Manager (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibcpOX4R3vk)

Game footage:
X06 Walkthrough (http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1807/Mass-Effect-HD-Video-Walkthrough/p1/)
E3 06 Demo (http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360-hires/3349/Mass-Effect-E3-2006-Demo-Walkthrough-in-HD/)

The prequel book will be out May 1st (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12859/Mass-Effect-Revelation-Book-Appears-on-Amazon/)

The Limited Collectors Edition box cover. No idea what's included. (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12993/Mass-Effect-Limited-Collectors-Edition-Box-Cover/)

And it looks like the early May release date is highly plausible. (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12694/Mass-Effect-Dated-in-Australia/)

Commander Obi-Wan
03-22-2007, 04:55 PM
The classes of Mass Effect (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/774/774769p1.html). :)

So, yeah, I'm starting to get excited about this game also. Now, that the prospect of getting my hands on an Xbox 360 has increased significantly.

Char Ell
03-22-2007, 11:27 PM
And it looks like the early May release date is highly plausible. (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12694/Mass-Effect-Dated-in-Australia/) I previously thought there was a good chance Mass Effect would be released in May but with two months to go and no official announcement from BioWare I'm starting to think end of summer is more likely.

mjpb3
04-07-2007, 01:04 AM
I was on the Gamestop site again tonight and I now see a shipping date of 6-19-07. Well, pooh! I wish someone would make their mind(s) up...

Vaelastraz
04-08-2007, 06:00 AM
The 360 is cool with loads of exciting titles and live capabilities, and it doesn't even cost half of $1500+. Plus it sets a single standard that the industry can conform to until the next generation console comes out, which will be 5-7 years later, thus there is no need to make regular graphics card upgrades- saves you a lot of money. Unless you're only interested in games that allow modding, IMO the 360 is a much more cost-effective choice.

I realize that, I like to play a lot of online games though. Mouse and keyboard for the win. :)
But let's not turn this into a PC vs Xbox discussion..the winner is obvious :P

I'm confident there will be a way to play Mass effect on the PC eventually...
Much like Jade Empire. And Jade empire was worth the wait.

FiEND_138
04-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Another video. (http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2211)

Ctrl Alt Del
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Ah... A pity it's not for PC (yet). I can imagine neat mods... If only Bioware included their traditional Aurora toolset.

Cygnus Q'ol
04-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Last I heard, June 5th release.

Anyone heard anything lately?

...don't know if I can make it that long. uuuugggh!!!

Commander Obi-Wan
04-15-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm getting May 22nd. But, I'm quite sure that's unofficial.

Char Ell
04-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Currently we also do not have an official release date for Mass Effect.

Currently we do not yet have a final ESRB rating for Mass Effect.

When we do have either an official release date or when we know what the ESRB rating for Mass Effect will be, we will make a formal announcement...Source: No release date or rating for Mass Effect yet. (http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=559883&forum=104)

Hmmm... I think it's still almost a given that Mass Effect will be released some time this summer.

Commander Obi-Wan
04-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Unfortunately, today came signs that Mass Effect may be cooling its jets until late in the year. A report on Computer & Video Games claims that during a Microsoft event in the UK today, word emerged that the RPG won't be released until September. This date was further backed up by the Mass Effect product page on EBgames.com, which now has the game shipping on September 3.

Source (http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25584833&om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;5).

It's just another rumour, but it's still a possibility. Though, it would relevant to say that if they do release it later this year, the game would be more complete. Hopefully, we will get a definitive release date soon than later.

milo
05-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Haven't seen this vid posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PofvtaqfcE&mode=related&search=

Lookin' gud.

Char Ell
05-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Mass Effect Project Director Casey Hudson has posted another entry on his Mass Effect blog at IGN. <link> (http://blogs.ign.com/BioWare_Games/2007/05/03/53888/)

Still no word on a release date but he does confirm that party size will be limited to the PC and 2 NPC's, just like the KotOR games.

Cygnus Q'ol
05-10-2007, 08:22 PM
As much as I'm salivating, I'd much rather them take their time and finish it properly than to rush it and it be sub-par.

cough-TSL-cough

Commander Obi-Wan
05-12-2007, 09:13 PM
I found a Q & A about Mass Effect. IGN interviewed the lead writer of Mass Effect. Here it is:

IGN: What writing experience have you had in the past? How did you get your start?

Drew Karpyshyn: I've been writing ever since I learned to read, though I got my professional start while working on my Masters degree in English at the University of Alberta. I applied to an "open call" for authors at Wizards of the Coast by submitting an outline and sample chapters of a Forgotten Realms novel. They liked my stuff enough to contract me to write a novel for them. While I was working on the novel (Temple Hill, my first published work) I saw an ad from BioWare looking for writers. Since they were right in my hometown I applied and got offered the job. I figured it was better getting paid to write than paying to go to school, so I dropped out in the last year of my Masters program to write full time for BioWare.

In addition to my work at BioWare, I've also had several novels published: Temple Hill and Throne of Bhaal for Wizards of the Coast; Star Wars: Path of Destruction for Lucas and Del Rey (a New York Times bestseller), and the upcoming Mass Effect: Revelation - a prequel novel to the Mass Effect game.

IGN: How much of the writing comes from one person, and how much is a collaborative effort?

Drew Karpyshyn: At BioWare the process is a combination of collaborative feedback and individual effort. The writers (and other key people, such as the Project Director and the Lead Designer) constantly discuss the overall story line. But each individual writer is assigned sections of the game to write. For Mass Effect, each planet has one primary writer who is responsible for the majority of writing on that world. However, all the writers review each other's work to offer suggestions and criticism, and as Lead Writer I also have to make sure there is a consistency of style across all the various levels. So on the one hand it's very individual - you write what you think works for your own areas - but on the other hand it's a very collaborative process, as everything you do has to fit in with the rest of the team and the larger overall story.

IGN: Can you give us a brief overview of the main storyline for the game?

Drew Karpyshyn: The player is Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre - an elite agent of the multi-species galactic government. Shepard's first mission is to hunt down Saren, a top Spectre agent who has gone rogue. As you chase Saren across alien worlds and distant stars, you make a terrifying discovery: the galaxy is trapped in a cycle of extinction. Every 50,000 years a race of machines wipes out all advanced organic civilization… and Saren is determined to unleash this cycle once again.

Of course, as a BioWare story there is a huge amount of depth and detail that unfolds as you play the game, and there are several twists and turns as you progress. Obviously I don't want to give too much away… players will have to find this out by playing the game.

IGN: How early in the game creation process is the script written?

Drew Karpyshyn: At BioWare our games are very story driven, so the early version of the script is usually one of the first things we complete. This is then used as the basis for our level designs, art, etc. Of course, as other elements are added to the game the script is constantly rewritten to incorporate the ideas and contributions of the rest of the team.

IGN: How do you write a script that is so open and multi-pathed?

Drew Karpyshyn: I'll admit, it's not easy. One thing you need is a good writing team. At BioWare we have over a dozen full time writers spread across all our projects, and many of us have been doing this for over 5 years, so we've really become familiar with the craft of open ended story telling. The biggest issue is volume - you have to write multiple paths of dialog and multiple story outcomes, knowing that many players won't see large chunks of what you've done. That's why we need so many writers on each project. Five different writers worked on Mass Effect, and it's taken us three years to get everything into the game. I think it's that level of commitment that really sets BioWare games apart from the competition - most other companies don't have the dedicated writing resources to do the kind of stories we do.

IGN: For many genres of games, a good story is essential. Do ever feel that game writers are underappreciated?

Drew Karpyshyn: I think most BioWare fans appreciate and understand our contribution; we firmly believe a good game becomes a great game by fusing story with game play for an emotionally engaging experience. However, across the industry most companies don't put enough emphasis on telling a good story. BioWare is one of the few companies that has full time employees dedicated entirely to writing. There are some other good game stories out there, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I think that, overall, games haven't embraced the idea that a good story is necessary to fully engage players in the gaming experience, so there are many examples of sub-standard writing and story that have colored the general perception of game writers as "hacks". The truth, however, is that writing for games is a very complicated and difficult skill… one that BioWare takes the time to develop in talented individuals.

IGN: For Mass Effect, how much creative control did you have over characters and events?

Drew Karpyshyn: As the Lead Writer, I'm in the position of having an enormous amount of creative control over all the elements of the story. Other writers do have to work within the confines of the overall story I help to lay out, but we try to incorporate feedback from the entire team to give everyone buy-in into the project. Also, within their own worlds or areas of responsibility writers are given a tremendous amount of freedom to create their own characters, sub-plots, etc. I can't speak for other companies, but BioWare doesn't believe in using "hired guns" to come in at the last minute and slap together a dialog or story for a game they had no real part in creating.

IGN: In terms of novel-lengths, how many pages or books worth of writing would you estimate you've done for Mass Effect?

Drew Karpyshyn: Mass Effect has a word count of around 400,000 words - somewhere in the area of 4-5 full novels. But, unlike a novel, we also have visual images and other ways to tell a story. Our word count would be even higher if we had to describe settings or characters, but we actually have art and graphics to do that for us. I think a better comparison to give the full scope of our game is to use movie scripts. In Mass Effect, every line of dialog has full voice over, and we have 20,000+ lines of dialog - roughly the equivalent of 20 movies. That seems like a lot - and it is - but it's necessary to keep a player engaged in our game and story for the 20+ hour critical path.

IGN: Have you needed to cut back a lot of this during the course of development?

Drew Karpyshyn: Every artist project needs to make cuts - whether it's a game, a book or a movie. It's part of the natural creative process: you see what works, what doesn't, you make changes, you add things and you cut things. Anyone who has written professionally knows that, in the end, the more unnecessary stuff you cut the better the overall result. So the trick is to remove what doesn't work, leaving only the best stuff. Sometimes it's painful to see some of your personal work hit the chopping block, but in the end you have to understand that it's for the greater good.

IGN: How long have you been at BioWare and how long have you been involved with Mass Effect?

Drew Karpyshyn: I've been on Mass Effect from day one, and that's standard procedure for every BioWare project - we always have the Lead Writer involved from the very beginning, right through to the very end. Other members of the writing team might come on a little later or leave a little earlier, depending on the needs of the project, but overall the writers are VERY involved throughout the entire process.

As for BioWare itself, I've been working at the company since spring of 2000 - back when they were finishing up Baldur's Gate. I've had the pleasure to contribute to a number of projects since then, including Throne of Bhaal, Neverwinter Nights, Hordes of the Underdark and Jade Empire. I was also the lead writer on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and now Mass Effect.

IGN: What stories or authors inspired your work on Mass Effect?

Drew Karpyshyn: Mass Effect is inspired by the feel of the classic science fiction movies of the 1980s, which owe a lot to the classic science fiction authors from the 50s and 60s. As for my own personal writing style, it's difficult to point to one author or work and say "that inspired me". I'm a fan of science fiction, fantasy and horror, and on some level everything I've read has influenced me in some way.

IGN: Is the games-writing community pretty close? Do you ever hang out with other writers?

Drew Karpyshyn: BioWare is pretty unique in the game-writing community. We don't hire freelance authors; if we feel you've got the talent and skills we need, we want you full time. I've heard rumours and stories of how hard it is for freelancers out there, and how difficult it is to deal with most game companies. Fortunately, I've never been in that position.

The writing department at BioWare itself is pretty close, and we do spend a lot of time together. As for freelance writers or writers at other companies, I can't really say I know any of them that well. Being a full time employee at BioWare kind of focuses my attention on our own people.

Link (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/787/787584p1.html).

swphreak
05-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Seeing as how Halo 3 is being released September 25th, I have to wonder if Mass Effect is going to be released in September. No way Microsoft would allow two major releases compete with each other.

Hopefully it'll be released before Halo 3. Perhaps they'll release it first week of September.

Cygnus Q'ol
05-23-2007, 07:04 AM
OK the trail has seemed to have gone cold.

I'm getting conflicting info.

Is there any reliable release date?

...are there any interesting rumors?

Char Ell
05-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Nope. IMO the only reliable release would come from BioWare and/or Microsoft and they're both still saying they don't have a release date.

IGN lists the release date as September 3 (http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/718/718963.html) but that's obviously not official and not confirmed.

At this point I figure BioWare and Microsoft will announce the release date for Mass Effect at least two months before it actually happens so I think late July is the absolute earliest we could see Mass Effect.

swphreak
05-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Any release date you hear is speculation. There is no ESRB rating or release date announced. It certainly is plausible it will be released in September or earlier. There's still July, August, and September.

Commander Obi-Wan
05-23-2007, 08:15 PM
And we were hoping for it to be released in May or June. :p

Cygnus Q'ol
06-11-2007, 07:17 AM
Second week of June and not even a word.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Char Ell
06-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Heh-heh. You've got a bad feeling, eh? Hmmm... wonder where we've heard that one before. ;)

I don't know what your bad feeling is but I think we can rest assured we will see Mass Effect released this year. It's just a question of when. It doesn't seem that Mass Effect will go so long as to be released during the 2007 holiday season but I think that is the absolute latest Mass Effect would be released.

Commander Obi-Wan
06-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I haven't heard any info. about the release date for Mass Effect. Maybe sometime during the summer before Halo 3 is released. Though, for me, it's kinda good that Mass Effect isn't released yet, since I don't exactly have funds to get it yet. :p I want to have enough cash to get it when it is released.

Here is an article for IGN about the race of Krogan (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/796/796145p1.html), which obviously, is one of the races that you will see in Mass Effect.

Balderdash
06-19-2007, 07:01 AM
The prequel novel is out. I just got it through the mail.

Be patient guys. I'm sure we'll hear something soon. I'd rather BioWare took their time and made this game properly polished anyway.

Cygnus Q'ol
06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
The prequel novel is out. I just got it through the mail.

Be patient guys. I'm sure we'll hear something soon. I'd rather BioWare took their time and made this game properly polished anyway.

true.

Commander Obi-Wan
06-21-2007, 02:07 PM
The second part of three articles were released recently about the Krogan. Read about The Rise and Fall of the Krogan (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/798/798040p1.html).

Pho3nix
06-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I wonder why people are so hyped about this game :)

I'd expect people to be more hyped about Grand Theft Auto IV. Which I am :xp:

Commander Obi-Wan
06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
The fact that this a new game is possibly one of the reasons. It's also a Sci-Fi RPG game, which seems to attract many gamers. Otherwise, I'm not much of a fan of the Grand Theft Auto series, anyway.

mimartin
06-21-2007, 05:56 PM

It could have something to do with the creator of Mass Effect being Bioware, which produced a prior award winning RPG game that most in this section of the forum have played over and over again.

SpaceAlex
06-21-2007, 10:18 PM

I'd expect people to be more hyped about Grand Theft Auto IV. Which I am :xp:

Heh, i personally couldn't care less about GTA, but i do care about Mass Effect. And i'm guessing i'm not the only one. I think the majority of people that come to this forum are most interested in sc-fi and fantasy games. Games with a more realistic setting (read GTA) come second, or not at all.

Prime
06-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I wonder why people are so hyped about this game :)Probably because everything points to it being awesome! :D

Ghost Down
06-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Probably because everything points to it being awesome! :DAlmost, only bad thing is that it's being made for the Xbox 360 ;)

- Ghost Down

Cygnus Q'ol
06-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Almost, only bad thing is that it's being made for the Xbox 360 ;)

- Ghost Down

Actually, at 1080p, that's going to be one of the best things about this game.

There's not suppose to be any representation by Bioware for this game at E3.
I donno, wouldn't that be a perfect platform to launch this game?

... or at least throw us a bone with a (tenative) release date?

Commander Obi-Wan
06-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Final article of the three part series about the Krogan. Here. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/799/799822p1.html)

Cygnus Q'ol
06-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, it's official.
MassEffect will be shown at E3.

Chris Priestly from BioWare has officially announced this today.

I expect it to have a decent showing. Should blow some socks off.
It would be nice if they could drop a release date then too.
However, I doubt they do. I'm sure they enjoy the buzz that's being created.

The MassEffect website is growing faster than a Krogan addolescent.
I expect a late fall or hoilday release.

Ctrl Alt Del
06-29-2007, 09:54 PM
^Good to see that E3 haven't been reduced as one would think.

Prime
06-29-2007, 11:40 PM
This game just looks so awesome.

Char Ell
06-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Well, it's official.
MassEffect will be shown at E3.

Chris Priestly from BioWare has officially announced this today. Interesting. IIRC BioWare's top execs said at the end of last year or the beginning of this year that they weren't going to showcase Mass Effect at E3 2007. So that says to me that even BioWare wasn't originally expecting Mass Effect's development to take this long. :D

EDIT: Yep. Actually it was this past March when BioWare CEO Ray Muzyka told IGN BioWare wasn't going to demo Mass Effect at E3 2007.
"That event is in July, right?" asked Dr. Ray Muzyka. "Well, Mass Effect won't appear at this year's E3."
Source: IGN - GDC 2007: Mass Effect Out in June? (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/771/771319p1.html)

EDIT 2: Since BioWare is showing Mass Effect at E3 next week maybe we'll get a release date announcement then.

Char Ell
07-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Microsoft's Peter Moore just announced Mass Effect will be released this November.

Chris Priestly posted a confirmation on BioWare's BioBoards. <link> (http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=574050&forum=104)

swphreak
07-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Wooo November!

I hope we'll get to see some gameplay at E3.

E3 Update:

It looks awesome. If you want to see some good Mass Effect stuff, see GameSpot's E3 page. They played the game while talking about it in the interview.

Apparently the game is essentially complete. It's just Bioware and Microsoft double teaming on QA/Game Testing like crazy until November. From what they're saying, the game is huge, and we'll never have the same game experience more than once.

FiEND_138
07-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Link for the above statement....

http://www.gamespot.com/video/930279/6174539/mass-effect-stage-demo-1

mimartin
07-12-2007, 10:27 PM
That is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. Great find everyone,thanks. Did not know they were based out of Austin.

Bob Lion54
07-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Now that settles it... I'm getting a XBOX360 in November. If I'm lucky, they will have another price cut before then. heh

They could have shown us a bit more, but that was still great. This looks like another Bioware hit.

Was anyone else thinking "Hey, hes wearing a Proton Pack" at the first, or was that just me... heh

Did not know they were based out of Austin.
They are based in Canada, but they recently opened an Austin branch.

Char Ell
07-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Wow! BioWare wasn't kidding when they said this would be one massive game. (pun intended) It just seems like you can play this game for hours and hours and hours and still not see everything it has to offer.

I thought Dr. Zeschuk's hairstyle was rather amusing. :smirk2:

mimartin
07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Was anyone else thinking "Hey, hes wearing a Proton Pack" at the first, or was that just me... heh
They are based in Canada, but they recently opened an Austin branch.

Yea, I saw that too. Thanks, I heard them say something about being up from Austin and it shocked me. It actually makes sense they’d open a branch there with all the programmers, musicians and writers living in and around Austin, but it was shocking.

Reclaimer
07-13-2007, 12:20 AM
**Puts up flame shield.**

I've looked at this game, and it's just not interesting for me. I mean, nothing really stands out to interest me into getting this game. I might rent it, just to try it out, but I won't add it to me collection.

Pavlos
07-13-2007, 12:49 PM

I've looked at this game, and it's just not interesting for me. I mean, nothing really stands out to interest me into getting this game. I might rent it, just to try it out, but I won't add it to me collection.

I must say that it looks interesting but then again... I think the trailer may have put me off somewhat. They seem to be selling the game as an interactive epic film - complete with excessive numbers of explosions. I do have to worry that the plot may suffer due to the style they're going for.

Edit: And I think we may have hit the uncanny valley with this one - or at least I have. The characters are so realistic to me that... they look like they're made out of plastic - which is never good. But then again, I could be interpreting a lot from a very short piece of film which is meant to yell, "Look! It's epic!"

Commander Obi-Wan
07-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Heh. Bioware originated in Edmonton. So, I've been there. Though, I wasn't really able to try any games out. But, it's a pretty cool place. ;)

It's also coming out in November which happens to be the month in which my birthday is in. Maybe I'll get it for my birthday. :p

The game looks awesome right now. I can't wait to see more.

Commander Obi-Wan
07-24-2007, 03:42 PM
On IGN, they have posted a twenty minute demo walkthrough of the game.

Demo Walkthrough (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/807/807496p1.html).

Ctrl Alt Del
07-24-2007, 08:07 PM

Good for you, bad for your shield.

Let's see, you don't want this game on your collection based on some trailers? The game wasn't even released yet! Even if that "looks like" something, don't mean that it is. Look at previous masterpieces from Bioware: Astounding, eh? Got no reason to believe that this one won't be as well.

JoeDoe 2.0
07-24-2007, 08:15 PM
I look forward to this game along with Halo 3 and Fable 2. The story looks kewl, along with the characters and graphics. I'm glad I bought an xbox Elite. :)

dewayne26
07-28-2007, 02:37 AM
maybe i missed it somewhere but is there any possiblility of it coming out for the pc?

Ctrl Alt Del
07-28-2007, 02:12 PM
maybe i missed it somewhere but is there any possiblility of it coming out for the pc?

Not yet. I wouldn't be too much worried yet, as I'm yet to see one Bioware game that haven't come to PC. Plus, the greatest Xbox hits always go to PC after some time.

Janan Pacha
08-03-2007, 01:06 AM
The main character will be fully customisable (although im not sure if there is a female option), you can also choose a variety of team members and not be stuck with the same old ones ala Kotor. So ideally you can assemble a team of kick-ass female Marines.

This is true.

-

I hope it comes out on the PC. I refuse to touch any version of the Xbox, and especially any of the next gen consoles (Not just xbox) that . . are just sort of depressing with their antics.

I really wish Bioware would start thinking of their PC users again. I keep seeing their games come out on the consoles first, and the PC later (if at all, in Mass Effect's case). It's not that I mind waiting, if they're going to do a solid port of the game to PC. I just don't see why the PC community has to wait. We were certainly buying their games when the console community didn't even know what Bioware was.

Char Ell
08-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Mass Effect was named Best Console Game and Best Role Playing Game of E3 2007 by Game Critics Awards (http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/winners.html). I'm not surprised by the best RPG award but am somewhat surprised by ME winning best console game.
I really wish Bioware would start thinking of their PC users again. I keep seeing their games come out on the consoles first, and the PC later (if at all, in Mass Effect's case). Don't forget that BioWare's Dragon Age is in development for PC. Of course that game has been in development for so long that I think BioWare ended up creating a new engine for DA because the old one wasn't cutting it anymore.

Cygnus Q'ol
08-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Any word on the exact date of release?

swphreak
08-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Sometime in November is all I know.

There's an awesome video here (http://kotaku.com/gaming/video/new-mass-effect-character-creation-video-hottttttt-288421.php).

Char Ell
08-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Any word on the exact date of release?What Phreak said but I'll be very surprised if ME isn't released on or before November 15.

Q
08-15-2007, 03:15 AM
Man, this game looks sweet.

Good thing that 360s are getting cheaper and product-improved, because the port to PC might take as long as Jade Empire if it happens at all (it probably will).

Cygnus Q'ol
08-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Good thing that 360s are getting cheaper and product-improved

Cheaper maybe, product improved, mmmm, I donno, maybe.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine. Wouldn't trade it just yet.
However, I'm on my second one this year.

My best advise to all whom wish to purchase,
GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY WHATEVER THE COST.

I walked in dropped it off and walked out with a new one in less than 5 minutes. No hassle. No dough.

Just make sure to drop needed game info onto memory before returning it.

swphreak
08-15-2007, 07:44 PM
My best advise to all whom wish to purchase,
GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY WHATEVER THE COST.

Or you could use the 3 year warranty and save your money. In Store warranties are ripoffs.

Once they get Falcon models in stores, I'll trade for one of those.

Q
08-15-2007, 10:11 PM
^^^That's exactly what I'm talking about. The Falcon models have improved cooling and 65NM chips, and MS is now offering a 3-year warranty on all models, old and new.

MacTavish
08-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Man this game looks sweet! I just watched the video at the Mass Effect website. It's so good they made it for the 360, I'm glad I got one.

Cygnus Q'ol
08-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Or you could use the 3 year warranty and save your money.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
... and waiting for the Falcon as well. :)
__________________________________________________ _________

Which direction will your Sheppard take on that much anticipated first playthrough?

Will you go in Halo Soldier style or will your Sheppard be an Adept using primarily biotics with your NPC's watching your back?

...Or will you Vanguard it, utilizing a bit of both. This is the default setting but, I think this might be the one for me.

...the first time anyway.

Commander Obi-Wan
08-16-2007, 05:18 PM
I'll probably trade my 360 for the "Falcon" models. Even though, I haven't had any problems with my current one. Though, I'll wait and see once the time comes.

mimartin
08-16-2007, 05:34 PM
I'll probably trade my 360 for the "Falcon" models. Even though, I haven't had any problems with my current one. Though, I'll wait and see once the time comes.

Same here, I haven't had any problems with mine and I only bought the 360 and the HDTV for ME. However, the 360 may be worn out by November as I have found another game to play in the meantime. I’ll defiantly get the Falcon if it makes less noise than the 360. As that is my only gripe against the 360.

Arcesious
08-16-2007, 11:35 PM
I want a 360 relally bad now after readin this.... i need to make some money.

MacTavish
08-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Is Mass Effect rated "T" or M"?

Commander Obi-Wan
08-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Mass Effect is rated "M". Due to Blood, Sexual Themes, Violence, and Partial Nudity.

If you don't believe me, look at the bottom of the page on Mass Effect's homepage. And really, I am not surprised that it's rated "M".

Jeff
08-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Hmm, I was expecting a Teen rating for Mass Effect, but I didn't realize there were sexual themes, etc involved. Well I'm fine with either rating, hopefully the M rating will add to the realism.

Commander Obi-Wan
08-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Here are some videos that were posted on Gametrailers.

PAX 2007 Developer Walkthrough - Part 1 (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24110.html)
PAX 2007 Developer Walkthrough - Part 2 (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24111.html)
PAX 2007 Developer Walkthrough - Part 3 (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24112.html)

(Note: It may be hard to hear everything that's being spoken because of the noise in the backround)

GC' 07: Mass Effect Combat Update (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/news.html?sid=6177511&om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;2)

From what I hear, Mass Effect hopefully should be out by November. I am getting November 1 from various game sites, but the home page has no specific date. Wikipedia also has Mass Effect stated to be released some time in November.

Personally, I like the way Mass Effect is shaping very much. Very organized and set up. And by the looks of it, the "delayed" release of the game seem to be doing this game some good.

Corinthian
08-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Sexual themes and Partial Nudity are pretty broad, that could mean any number of things. Hell, Crimson Skies had Suggestive Themes in it's rating. The ESRB is a little nuts sometimes. Hell, it gave Jade Empire an M rating, for reasons that escape me.

Commander Obi-Wan
08-26-2007, 02:16 PM
I think the M rating comes from the Blood and violence. From those videos I posted last night, at one part one of the soliders went through some huge pole/spike/whatever it was and yeah, the developer or whoever was presenting Mass Effect, said that was the M rating. Though, I sure there is more to the rating than that.

swphreak
08-26-2007, 02:49 PM
PAX'07 Mass Effect footage. (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/download_ini.html?sid=6177654&id=6177654)

Looks great!

Commander Obi-Wan
08-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the link. It does look great. I definitely gonna go pre-order it.

MacTavish
08-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the link. It does look great. I definitely gonna go pre-order it.

Can you pre-order it already?

Commander Obi-Wan
08-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Can you pre-order it already?

At EB Games/Gamestop here in Edmonton, I can pre-order a game whenever I want really. I could pre-order The Force Unleashed, Mass Effect, Turok, or any game for that matter. As long as it's in the database you can pre-order it. I pre-ordered Super Smash Bros. Brawl back in March, and it's not released till December. So, as far as I am concerned, you can at certain places.

Rogue15 Fan
08-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Im definately getting this for the 360! cant wait! richest dialogue in a videogame!

southern_fox
08-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Mass Effect looks exciting. Bioware's talent shines again.

Of course, I'd wait until a PC version is released. I have no doubt that such a release would come somewhere down the line, given Bioware's history of such releases.

Ultimately, the later PC version is more modifiable.

Hannibal
08-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Release date is officially Nov 20th.

Link (http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2007_08_30_Mass_Effect_Release_Date/)

I think the M rating comes from the Blood and violence

I read on the Bioware forums, from a dev, that it's violence and side view of a breast. Which is interesting and probably will be removed in the final build.

Commander Obi-Wan
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Ah, yes. Just heard about release date, just before I clicked into this thread.

Excellent. We now know a confirmed release date for Mass Effect. Thankfully, it comes out two days after my birthday. :D

FiEND_138
08-31-2007, 03:33 AM
Short video on character creation. (http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/718/718963/vids_1.html)

mimartin
08-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Ah, yes. Just heard about release date, just before I clicked into this thread.

Excellent. We now know a confirmed release date for Mass Effect. Thankfully, it comes out two days after my birthday. :D

19 days after mine, but what I'm really happy is Mass Effect comes out right before the lull in the College Football Season. Now I have my December planed, just hope no one was expecting presents this year.:)

Gargoyle King
09-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Do you think, like previous Bioware franchises that Mass Effect will eventually be adapted to a PC version?

ChAiNz.2da
09-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Do you think, like previous Bioware franchises that Mass Effect will eventually be adapted to a PC version?
I hope so with every breath of my being :lol:

I would like to think they will, considering this game is going to be phenomenal..
They did for Jade Empire (another awesome game) so I could only hope that Mass Effect will see success on both platforms :)

MacTavish
09-01-2007, 10:21 PM
I was thinking of getting the Mass Effect book. Has anyone read it?

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5986/coverjy2.gif

Balderdash
09-02-2007, 02:05 PM
^ It's not great literature or anything, but well worth getting if you're going to get the game. It has a lot of background info about the Mass Effect universe. It introduces the villain (Saren) and one of the main NPCs of the game, so it will give you some idea of the direction the story will go in, without directly spoiling anything...

Ctrl Alt Del
09-02-2007, 04:50 PM

Though I'll buy the 360 version anyway, I would expect so. I'm about to see a Bioware game that stayed on the consoles forever. And they were PC developers to start with.

Corinthian
09-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Everyone branches out sometimes. Blizzard used to be renowned for their Real Time Strategy games. And Diablo. Now their biggest game is by far is an MMORPG.

Venom750
09-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I liked the book it gives you a good back story for the game and i throughly enjoyed it and was reading it every minute i could and I'm kind of disappointed about the date i think there put it so far back for the Christmas rush

Pavlos
09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
IGN (http://uk.media.xbox360.ign.com/media/718/718963/vids_1.html) has a nice new walkthrough of one of the planets. Nothing really new but it's nice to watch and it shows us a new planet :).

This radial menu thing looks to be an improvement over BioWare's NWN attempt... which came off as dialling an old-fashioned phone - so "hurrah" for that, eh?

Master Zionosis
09-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Always improving :) I am really looking forward to playing Mass Effect

Miltiades
09-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Heard Sbarge in the walkthrough? That guy has a very distinguishable voice. Weird sometimes. It's like all of a sudden Carth's in Mass Effect. Like in that episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender where he's that professor: I recognized him immediately. Anyway, nice video. Together with The Force Unleashed, this could be the game that convinces me to buy an X360, though I'm still hoping both will eventually be released on PC. :)

Pavlos
09-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Heard Sbarge in the walkthrough?

Aye... Gamersyde has a example of that here (http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_4530.html). It's the first five minutes of the game, though, and while nothing special spoiler-wise you may want to skip the video if you're afraid of ruining the game :).

Speaking of Gamesyde, it has a pretty nice collection of videos for Mass Effect.

Commander Obi-Wan
09-17-2007, 09:30 PM
You can also go to Gametrailers and they have some new videos on Mass Effect (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2211.html). There are some wicked gameplay videos and a couple of interviews that were posted today.

stingerhs
09-24-2007, 05:58 PM
wow. just wow. that's all i have to say about this game after checking out the trailers and gameplay vids. i'm now seriously considering the purchase of an Xbox 360 just for this game. from what i've seen, Mass Effect is going to kick some serious backside just with the gameplay. combine that with what is by far some of the best next-gen visuals i've seen thus far, and this is truly going to be an awesome game.

and then, you have the sheer size of the game. from what i can tell, Mass Effect is going to be one of the largest single player RPG's ever. more content is definitely a plus as long as it doesn't get repetitive or derivative.

i just can't believe that i've waited this long to check this game out. :rolleyes:

Pavlos
10-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Mass Effect has gone GOLD! (http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/829/829109p1.html)

Here's what you'll get for an extra $10:

A Mass Effect fiction book titled "Galactic Codex: Essentials"
A 36-page guide to the Mass Effect universe, including a Citadel timeline and a guide to all non-human races, biotics and the key locations in the Perseus arm of the galaxy
An additional Mass Effect art book titled "A Future Imagined"
A 36-page collection of BioWare's concept art for the game
A bonus DVD of exclusive Mass Effect background material and additional content including:
"The Vision of Mass Effect" documentary
"The Making of Mass Effect" documentary
"Interactive Storytelling" documentary
"Inside BioWare" documentary
18 Mass Effect themed gamer pics (three unique sets of six)
16 dashboard themes (four unique sets of four)
Ten songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack
Five historical Mass Effect trailers from X05 through E3 2007 and the official TV trailer
A demo for Blue Dragon and videos for Lost Odyssey, Halo 3 and Halo Wars
Design galleries featuring 600 concept images fully commented by the Art Directors

Commander Obi-Wan
10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
As well as those in the U.S (from what I hear will get this), can get a bonus disc if they pre-order it.

* A short documentary on DVD introducing the game
* 12 Mass Effect themed gamer pics (two unique sets of six)
* Eight dashboard themes (two unique sets of four)
* Three songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack on a CD
* Four historical Mass Effect trailers from X05 through E3 2007 on DVD
* A demo for "Blue Dragon" and videos for "Lost Odyssey," "Halo 3" and "Halo Wars"

I'm probably gonna pre-order it after class tomorrow. And I'll probably get the Limited Edition as well. Too bad, the extras I listed are U.S-exclusive (read above). Though, I'd wonder why since BioWare is IN Edmonton, in which, is where I live.

Still, I'm excited for this game.

Pavlos
10-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Though, I'd wonder why since BioWare is IN Edmonton, in which, is where I live.

I'd imagine it has something to do with Microsoft being the publisher, they're a US company after all.

You being so close and all, you could just sneak in a steal a copy :xp:.

Negative Sun
10-23-2007, 06:53 AM
i just can't believe that i've waited this long to check this game out. :rolleyes:
Well it's not out yet so no one has really checked it out yet technically :)

stingerhs
10-23-2007, 11:58 AM
well, if that wasn't enough news on Mass Effect for ya, Game Informer is the first to publish a review of the game. its not on their website just yet, but if you're a subscriber to the magazine, the review is right next to the Halo 3 review.

they gave it a 9.75 out of 10 which is the same score that they gave Halo 3. they said that this game is an example of some of the best storytelling in any video game ever. then, there are the little things like the dialog that they nailed on the head as its one of the first games since Half Life 2 to really take advantage of excellent facial animations to convey emotions. combine that with the top notch voice acting, and you have a great recipe for some excellent dialog moments. their complaints was that the AI seemed to be a bit buggy, and combat ranged from being very easy to very hard at some points.

anyways, i'd post a scan of the page, but since i don't have a working scanner, that's a bit difficult at this point. still, its nice to see a review in even if it feels just slightly premature. :)

Negative Sun
10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
and combat ranged from being very easy to very hard at some points.
Well duh!
Depends whether you're fighting shlummies or the main boss or whatever...I've always found that to be a very funny thing to say in reviews.

Lantzen
10-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Well, since there is diffrent world of course there will be diffrent opponent. Some of the world will probaly be very easy, when other is hard. It's not like in Kotor that you need to go to all the world to finish the game

Ctrl Alt Del
10-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Well duh!
Depends whether you're fighting shlummies or the main boss or whatever...I've always found that to be a very funny thing to say in reviews.

Well, that's not what the reviewer probably meant. When reviewers say that, is that, late on the game, you'll fight enemies weaker than the ones you would find, let's say, on the beginning. Anyway, it's a critic on the difficult balance.

Knight_OF_Light
11-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Release date is officially Nov 20th.

Link (http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2007_08_30_Mass_Effect_Release_Date/)

I read on the Bioware forums, from a dev, that it's violence and side view of a breast. Which is interesting and probably will be removed in the final build.

I really hope your right... because this game looks awesome! But my parents are kind of on the strict side... and they wouldn't want me getting this game, even though I'm 18.. I guess I'll just have to move out lol..

Boba Rhett
11-03-2007, 12:34 AM
...or just modify the rating on the cover art and then show it to them. :joy:

Corinthian
11-03-2007, 01:15 AM
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/images/timesink.jpg
Something like that?

Ctrl Alt Del
11-03-2007, 04:56 PM
I really hope your right... because this game looks awesome! But my parents are kind of on the strict side... and they wouldn't want me getting this game, even though I'm 18.. I guess I'll just have to move out lol..

...or just modify the rating on the cover art and then show it to them.
What good it'll make? There aren't any games that are not recommended for people above 18, anyway... Even the ones of AO rating.

Boba Rhett
11-03-2007, 05:20 PM
o_O B...because his parents do apparently care. However, they may not care if he's getting a game rated for, say, Everyone or Teen.

Commencing grin in three... two... :joy:

Negative Sun
11-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Anyway, it's a critic on the difficult balance.
lolz seriously? ;)

My point is that that is quite relative and always a difficult thing to balance in an RPG with level-up system...

Ghost Down
11-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Wish I had (the money to buy) a X360!

- Ghost Down

Balderdash
11-04-2007, 12:34 PM
I know you were joking, but I actually would want to move out if I had parents that were that protective...

Uilleand
11-04-2007, 12:56 PM
*Hangs head in shame*
My 360 arrived last night...
I am a pawn to BioWare....

Fish.Stapler
11-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Ive already got the name, background, and ideal look for my Shepard selected. And a copy preordered.

Bring it.

Arátoeldar
11-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I just can't believe that I've waited this long to check this game out. :rolleyes:

At least you got to the party earlier than I did. :lol:

I am even looking for Xbox 360 games to justify the expense of buying an Xbox and a television. :eek:

HerbieZ
11-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Im gonna pre-order it tonight. Can't wait :D

mimartin
11-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Im gonna pre-order it tonight. Can't wait :D
I'm trying to decide if I want the limited edition or not. $10.00 more!

Commander Obi-Wan
11-06-2007, 06:56 PM
I've pre-ordered it already, but I've tried to get the LE instead, but apparently you can only pre-order it online.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Pre-ordered it. Done. Now I think I'll walk over to that cryogenic stasis sleeping capsule...

Jeff
11-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Here's a new Mass Effect article on IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/833/833639p1.html

Commander Obi-Wan
11-08-2007, 05:25 PM
As well as:

Mass Effect Achievements (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/833/833719p1.html?RSSwhen2007-11-08_095900&RSSid=833719)

You'll need to complete Mass Effect a number of times to complete the game 100%. Oh yeahhhhhh. Too bad, I won't have my Xbox 360 once it's released.

mimartin
11-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Here's a new Mass Effect article on IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/833/833639p1.html
Now I see why it got the Mature rating. I preordered over the internet in order to get the Special Edition, even shelled out the extra cash to get it shipped overnight.

HerbieZ
11-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Man this game is a money-no-object thing to me now. Although the video was'nt that steamy. It pretty much looked like they were building a shelving unit and the woman fell over. Still, it touched me...

JoeDoe 2.0
11-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Got it Reserved at GameStop, getting before the Thanksgiving Break, gonna eat some turkey and play Mass Effect all those four days off

Nancy Allen``
11-13-2007, 12:07 AM
This game is going to kick KOTOR's ass, big time. Looks like we can say goodbye to being railroaded into playing Jedi and play exactly the way we want to play. Just imagining how this could be modded if it comes to PC is mindblowing. A KOTOR conversion where Revan can make Juhani purr, if that appeals to you.

mimartin
11-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Although the video was'nt that steamy. It pretty much looked like they were building a shelving unit and the woman fell over. Still, it touched me...Well according to reports the two females building the shelving unit got the game banned in Singapore. Maybe it was the interspecies shelve building that offended the Singapore government. Guess it touched them too.

Also saw where Mass Effect is selling for almost $200.00 on ebay reports are some Kmart stores got a little overzealous. Too bad there are no Kmart’s around here.

Uilleand
11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
The reviews are already coming out....

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/news.php?i=1517

"...there is a lot of KOTOR familiarity in this game, while still being fresh. KOTOR players will definitely feel right at home though." ... except for the real-time combat.

I have the feeling my brain will not be my own for a very, very long time after next Wednesday....

Ctrl Alt Del
11-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Played it!

Not on my console, but on friend's home. He won't lend me, though, as he's pretty addicted. (How he got it though... I don't know or care)

I've played the first obligatory "level", on this colony of New Eden. Hehe, the reviewer up there is 100% right. The game loads before the graphics are completely loaded, but the game is all skinned on seconds. The battles still weren't exactly difficult, but I died twice (and I'm a Bioware games vet), just because I went fighting 'Rambo style' instead of using a more cautious approach, hiding behind stones and walls (Believe me, you'll need it).

Fish.Stapler
11-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Sounds like it's an awesome mix of Brothers in Arms and KotOR. I think I'm gonna pass out :/

HerbieZ
11-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Sounds like it's an awesome mix of Brothers in Arms and KotOR. I think I'm gonna pass out :/

Join the heap brotha!

Nancy Allen``
11-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Just one thing I'm wondering about the game. From all accounts it looks great but a complaint I have about this style of game is how lonely it gets. Take Elder Scrolls for example, you can spend an hour not encountering anything, or very little.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Just one thing I'm wondering about the game. From all accounts it looks great but a complaint I have about this style of game is how lonely it gets. Take Elder Scrolls for example, you can spend an hour not encountering anything, or very little.

I've just played the first level and a little on the Normandy. And, since I WON'T spoil anything for ANYONE, I can say that I saw enough people. Besides, you won't be walking vast empty spaces, with just terrain and terrain and terrain. Remember, there are several planets, so the game will focus on the gold, the crowded places, the cities, not the spaces between them.

Pavlos
11-17-2007, 05:20 PM
I've just pre-ordered it from Play.com and now all I have to do is eagerly anticipate its arrival.

Something that caught my eye was that it's rated 12+ here in the UK but as a Mature game (which is 17+ isn't it?) over in America. Ever so slightly odd.

Nancy Allen``
11-17-2007, 05:23 PM
That happens all the time, where they would change the ratings or even the content in a game.

Uilleand
11-17-2007, 08:32 PM
I've just played the first level and a little on the Normandy. And, since I WON'T spoil anything for ANYONE, I can say that I saw enough people. Besides, you won't be walking vast empty spaces, with just terrain and terrain and terrain. Remember, there are several planets, so the game will focus on the gold, the crowded places, the cities, not the spaces between them.

Also...unlike Elderscrolls...in M.E. you have a squad...companions. The major appeal of this game to me - as in KotOR and NWN - is the personal interactions you can have with your crew...

Ctrl Alt Del
11-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Also...unlike Elderscrolls...in M.E. you have a squad...companions. The major appeal of this game to me - as in KotOR and NWN - is the personal interactions you can have with your crew...

A thing I have noticed on my play(Again, not spoiling) was when a party member apologized when my Shepard version was shot. I answered that it was not her fault and she just 'smiled'. Yes, smiled. Not a warning by the end of the cutscene or anything, I just knew I had gotten closer to her. Fantastic.

Serpentine Cougar
11-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Man, I'm gonna have to wait so long to play this game; I don't even have a 360 yet. Too stinkin' expensive. This'll be one of the first games I get for it, though. Hearing you guys talk of playing it makes me feel like a hungry beggar looking in the window of a restaraunt, watching the people inside eating grand foods.

:(

GeneralPloKoon
11-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't have enough money for Mass Effect!!!! Looks like I might have to wait until Christmas....

Ctrl Alt Del
11-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Two just baked reviews:

OXM (Oficial Xbox Magazine) - 10,0

Game Informer - 9,75

Mass Effect = Game of the year (?)

JoeDoe 2.0
11-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I pre-ordered and I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday, I can't wait. I think is one of the nominees for best game of the year along with Assassin's Creed, another awesome game.

Prime
11-18-2007, 11:16 PM
I really should get around to getting a 360.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-19-2007, 05:31 AM
I pre-ordered and I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday, I can't wait. I think is one of the nominees for best game of the year along with Assassin's Creed, another awesome game.

Assassin's Creed is an awesome game, but it won't get the Game of The Year prize. I would expect Bioshock or Mario Galaxy to earn it now.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
More reviews:

Gametrailers - 9,6

IGN - 9.4

mimartin
11-19-2007, 11:24 AM
I really should get around to getting a 360.What are you waiting for.

I ordered Mass Effect online and now I'm having to tell myself not to go to the store tomorrow and purchase it because the special edition will be here Wednesday.

Was reading some of the reviews and one states after you finish you can start over with the same PC and the same equipment. How many times did I want to do that in KOTOR or TSL. Still it would tend to make the game a little too easy.

Add on: Not all the reviews are good. Matt Peckham of PC World did not care for Mass Effect calling it Mass Effect: Xbox 360 Game Doesn't Live Up to its Hype. Beautifully rendered with an above-average plot, Bioware's new sci-fi epic for the Xbox 360 still turns out to be a disappointingly overhyped encore to Microsoft's main holiday act in gaming, Halo 3.

Commander Obi-Wan
11-19-2007, 06:15 PM
EB Games called yesterday, my game will be ready first thing tomorrow.

MUST FIND XBOX TO PLAY IT ON!

SentinelRivers
11-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Been looking forward to Mass Effect for well over a year now, only a couple more days to go until it finally arrives...

Must admit though I haven't given Assassin's Creed much of a play through fear of the ring of death, which I don't really want this close to ME's release. :smash:

stingerhs
11-19-2007, 06:39 PM
well, i keep hearing on a number of reviews that Mass Effect is rather buggy, and combat takes a strict #2 emphasis in the gameplay. the good news is that the RPG part of ME is the #1 emphasis in the gameplay. ME has an epic story with unsurpassed interactions with other characters in addition to a much more fluid system of renegade vs saint approach to the choices you make instead of a good/evil thing that's been the staple of recent RPG's.

anyways, i can't wait for tommorrow after work. :D

Commander Obi-Wan
11-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Gamertrailer's Video Review of Mass Effect (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2211.html)

Really, the only thing that seems to be a little off is the presentation, like stingerhs said. There seems to be a few bugs. Put everything is nailed down pat. Possibly good enough to be a decent shooter without the RPG element. Yeah, I can't wait.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Possibly good enough to be a decent shooter without the RPG element.

I don't think it would do well if it was just a shooter...

Commander Obi-Wan
11-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I don't think it would do well if it was just a shooter...

Well, it wasn't really made to be one, but based upon the review, it good have been one. The combat would have been restructured different and what-not. But, it's an RPG and I am much happier that it isn't. ;)

SentinelRivers
11-19-2007, 07:13 PM
well, i keep hearing on a number of reviews that Mass Effect is rather buggy,

Noticed that aswell, though I can usually deal with the low frame rates or texture pop-ins that seemed to be mentioned all the time it's just the really really long elevator rides that have me worried especially since there seems to be a few delivery/run around side missions within the Citadel itself. Not sure if it's between areas that are connected through elevators but I really hope not.

Heard nothing but compliments for the main story though so can't wait for that.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Well, it wasn't really made to be one, but based upon the review, it good have been one. The combat would have been restructured different and what-not. But, it's an RPG and I am much happier that it isn't. ;)

Amen to that ;). It's just that the gameplay "Hide-to-shoot" style and the third person view of Mass Effect, will make you remember of Gears of War, but notice that the last one has a much more polished fighting.

mimartin
11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Gamertrailer's Video Review of Mass Effect (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2211.html)Prime if you want motivation to get off your butt and get an 360 watch Commander Obi-Wan’s link. It is pure awesomeness.

I don’t know if I can wait till Wednesday for the Special Edition to arrive. I may own two copies come Wednesday.

stoffe
11-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Add on: Not all the reviews are good. Matt Peckham of PC World did not care for Mass Effect calling it

Matt Peckham, wasn't that the guy whose Neverwinter Nights 2 review got revoked (and replaced by one from another reviewer) after a while since he gave the game a ridiculously low score and picked on every nit he could possibly find while not managing to find anything positive about the game at all?

Not exactly the person whose opinion I would place any weight on. Roughly on the same level as all the Quake kids some magazines/sites tasked with reviewing System Shock 2 and Deus Ex just because they had a first person view and guns. :)

Corinthian
11-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Every game gets a low rating from someone who wants to be contrary, or who just has no taste. System Shock II, StarCraft, Fallout, Arcanum all recieved a few bad ratings, despite being amazing games.

Lantzen
11-19-2007, 09:10 PM
And some of thoses review score they have gone back and changed after they have see how the they been declared classics in the RPG gene^^

Serpentine Cougar
11-20-2007, 01:04 AM
Regarding the bugs, won't they release a patch eventually?

Ctrl Alt Del
11-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Video Review.
http://www.gamespot.com/video/930279/6183137/mass-effect-video-review

Gamespot - 8,5

Regarding the bugs, won't they release a patch eventually?

Probably.

Edit: Oh, and Mass Effect will be remembered as the first sci-fi game where humanity is not the center of the universe.

Commander Obi-Wan
11-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Mass Effect has been released. I have my copy, but I don't have the Xbox. If I didn't pre-order it previously, it wouldn't have been able to get a copy till next shipment. They sold out every copy that wasn't pre-ordered.

Gargoyle King
11-20-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm glad i finally bought a 360, well worth it. I'll have to get this game now; i was thinking i'd never get to play Mass Effect till much later on but it feels great just to know i can go out and buy it now, and this game is certainly too tempting to resist.

mimartin
11-20-2007, 07:21 PM
It is official I have absolutely no will power whatsoever. I just went to Target and purchased it. I had already ordered it from Amazon, but they have not shipped it as of 5:30 pm CT. Guess I will have two copies now. Gotha go I’m on the database…

May not be heard from for a while…Angel Shepard is coming to life…So far she is a Earthborn, Sole Survivor, Soldier…Done so bye.

First impression: it is beautiful, like watching a movie and the facial expression are unbelievable. It is incredible lot of dialog but this is an RPG after all. It is almost like Carth is here with me.

Added: 4h 42m in and I can definitely write Stoffe is correct about Mr. Matt Peckham. He would not know a great game if it set up and bite him on the butt.

The only thing I would complain about is the Mako, but I want. I have not encountered any bugs that would take away from the game. The elevator rides are a little annoying, but as I said, I am not complaining. The only advise I would give is the same everyone here gave about KOTOR and TSL save, save and save. Save often. Died for the first time and had to do an entire long section over again, not blaming the game because I had plenty of time to save between action and did not.

Arátoeldar
11-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Matt Peckham, wasn't that the guy whose Neverwinter Nights 2 review got revoked (and replaced by one from another reviewer) after a while since he gave the game a ridiculously low score and picked on every nit he could possibly find while not managing to find anything positive about the game at all?

You are correct stoffe. He is an idiot reviewer.

Cygnus Q'ol
11-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Visually stunning. Cut-scenes are to die for, which usually are the best visual representation of any game anyway, however, you don't lose much when reverted back to gameplay. Shadows are represented well. They are everchanging during conversation, not just in placement of the shadow, but it fades and gets darker as the light changes. Very subtle, especially around the mouth while talking and the brow during facial expression changes and hair movement which happens very frequently depending on your character. You can definately tell they did their homework visually.

Conversation is exquisite. Subtitles Off - is default for cinematic value. Convo-options are great in this game. KotOR and Jade Empire required a scrolling to respond verbally, here they've made it easier and much more condusive. Responses are chosen by left thumb analog. Responses highlight automatically upon cursor touch, then hit "A". Sometimes the dialogue screen, which does not get in the way, will come up during the other's response, prompting you to respond while they're still talking. This aids in conversation flow and proper response time. So cool!

The level up system seems great. However I can see how different paths can be taken by how you level up. Duck and cover is done very well here. I get images of Gears every once in a while, in a good way. It's third person combat is very smooth and I can see I'll need some improvement. As a Vanguard, I've just begun to experiment with my Biotic powers and they are friggin' awesome. I've only just begun and I don't want to inadvertantly spoil, plus, I want to take my time and I honestly haven't gotten that far yet. But I will say so far, I'm hooked. I can tell there's a whole galaxy of excitement and adventure waiting for me.

After work today, I'm off for four days. Besides stuffing myself tomorrow at my Mom's, I'll be out galavanting through the galaxy attempting to save mankind one Geth at a time.

Pavlos
11-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Unfairnessityness!

It's already out in North America? Bah!

Anyway, I was somewhat worried by the change in dialogue system - I'm young (sic) and set in my ways; does it damage the narrative of the game at all or does it really lead to a cinematic experience?

swphreak
11-21-2007, 05:04 PM
I've been playing for 4h15m now, and loving every minute of it. I'm just now getting actual command of the Normandy, and I just travelled to another planet.

I haven't encountered any of the glitches I've read about yet (like getting stuck in something or the AI getting stuck), but I did experience a disc read error. I'm pretty sure at this point, it's my 360 on its last breath. I'm just hoping it lasts until after Christmas, and until I can get my hands on a Falcon 360.

Everyone, sacrifice small animals so that we may appease the gaming gods in the hopes of sparing my 360.

mimartin
11-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Everyone, sacrifice small animals so that we may appease the gaming gods in the hopes of sparing my 360. Putting out the mousetrap now. Mickey will be sacrificed to the gaming gods.

Had to take off work at noon today. I am now on 7h 58m and I still love it. I have been putting off the main story line and tackling the side quest. I do not want this to ever end. I already know I will be playing this repeatedly as I already want to set my PC up differently.

Anyway, I was somewhat worried by the change in dialogue system - I'm young (sic) and set in my ways; does it damage the narrative of the game at all or does it really lead to a cinematic experience?In my opinion the dialogue system really enhances the story and the cinematic experience. Of course it will be a matter of taste, but lucky for me Bioware has the same taste as me.

Pavlos
11-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Everyone, sacrifice small animals so that we may appease the gaming gods in the hopes of sparing my 360.

I only have a giraffe; will that do?

My copy has just been posted this evening, so I'm guessing Royal Mail will take a day with transporting and sorting and I should get it Friday morning - just in time for the weekend! Which reminds me, I must cancel any arrangements made with friends in the outside world, brick up all my windows, and hammer large pieces of crooked wood over all the doors.

adamqd
11-23-2007, 04:43 AM
^^
Me too, just got it 5 minute's ago, I pre-ordered it in Feb, and forgot about it. it was a pleasant surprise this morn!

Balderdash
11-23-2007, 04:51 AM
EDIT: Mine just came through the door. I'm gone.

Uilleand
11-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Brain. Gone.
Devoured by Mass Effect.
Commander Nik Shepard lives!
The Mako sucks.
The beauty and complexity is awe-inspiring.
And when you're nice...Kaidan *smiles* at you....

adamqd
11-23-2007, 02:01 PM
^^
His names Adam Shepard! ;)

mimartin
11-23-2007, 02:12 PM
His names Adam Shepard! ;)Your both bent, she is a woman named Angel Shepard. :D

I'm wonder how high this level system goes at level 50 full Paragon with more money in her pocket then she knows what to do with. If the mission were not so important, she would just retire on one of these beautiful words. Perhaps one without the giant Graboid looking things.

Uilleand
11-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Nopes...HER name is Nik...
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/Uilleand/?action=view&current=DSC_1082.jpg
you see??

swphreak
11-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I think the levels go up to at least 60 from a screenshot or video I've seen.

I'm almost 20 hours into the game, and I don't think I'm even halfway through the story. I'm playing as a Vanguard who likes his shotgun ammo laced with toxic radiation.

I really wish the galaxy map would have different status rings to let you know if you've already travelled to a system or not.

I think I'm going to replay the game as "canon Sheppard," but keep my first career for use in the sequels.

GeneralPloKoon
11-24-2007, 03:59 AM
Adrian Sheppard would be cool(half-life: opposing force)

Aash Li
11-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Im gonna have to get an xbox this game looks really fun. >.> And it looks like you can play a female chara. :) Or atleast the game play video I saw makes it look like that.

mimartin
11-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Yes, you can choice the PC Gender (2 choices), Appearance (to large to count), Pre-Service History (3 choices), Psychological Profile (3 choices) and Military Specialization (6 choices). I believe BioWare did a very good job making each PC the players own. You have to be in the Military serving the Alliance, but that is the point of the entire story.

I stayed up to 5 am this morning playing the game if that tells anyone how I feel about Mass Effect.

Commander Obi-Wan
11-24-2007, 04:29 PM
... I might just have to play ANOTHER Xbox 360. I don't want to wait for another month to play this game.

Serpentine Cougar
11-25-2007, 02:45 AM
Yes, you can choice the PC Gender (2 choices), Appearance (to large to count), Pre-Service History (3 choices), Psychological Profile (3 choices) and Military Specialization (6 choices). I believe BioWare did a very good job making each PC the players own. You have to be in the Military serving the Alliance, but that is the point of the entire story.

That sounds like a really good way to handle character creation. I'm assuming "Military Specialization" means character class?

So you can choose a first name but not your last name, right? Nice way to strike a balance between letting the player define the character and having a pre-defined character and story.

mimartin
11-25-2007, 03:05 AM
That sounds like a really good way to handle character creation. I'm assuming "Military Specialization" means character class?

So you can choose a first name but not your last name, right? Nice way to strike a balance between letting the player define the character and having a pre-defined character and story.
You are correct on both counts.

... I might just have to play ANOTHER Xbox 360. I don't want to wait for another month to play this game.I want say anything since I couldn't wait 24 hours and then took off early from work the next day. First time in three years I've missed more than two hours of work in a day.

Lance Monance
11-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Reading these comments fills me with envy. Why Xbox-only? How could Bioware do this to me? I'm seriously considering getting an xbox, just for this game. But I'd also have to get a good TV. And that's a little expensive, after all I recently bought a good computer.

Be reasonable Bioware!

Corinthian
11-25-2007, 04:52 AM
Because Bioware got a lot of money to do it as a 360 Exclusive. That's why.

swphreak
11-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I beat the game. Took me about 36 hours, and I did everything I could. Just a heads up, after the last mission and credits roll, it's game over.

There were some "oh snap" moments during the story missions. Didn't see those coming.

I've already created a new character and made him a War Hero. He's going to be a paragon (my other character was a Renegade).

mimartin
11-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I beat the game. Took me about 36 hours, and I did everything I could. I’ve already created a new character and made him a War Hero. He's going to be a paragon (my other character was a Renegade). I finished yesterday in a little over 35 hours and then played another five hours with a new male character. Everything else is the same.

Started playing the first mission with my old PC and all her money, skills and equipment, but it was way to easy. Therefore, I decided to make a PC that looks more like me and I am going to play it as I would in the real world. He will not be either paragon or renegade, as I will make the decisions as close as I would in real life. I’ve already discovered three missions I failed to do last time. Hint: retrace your steps and some side quest take talking to NPC more than once.

For those that griped about “The Sith Lord” not having a proper ending you do not have to worry about that with “Mass Effect.”

How could Bioware do this to me? I'm seriously considering getting an xbox, just for this game. But I'd also have to get a good TV. And that's a little expensive, after all I recently bought a good computer. Yea this game is a little expensive. I purchased my Xbox 360 because of this game and I purchased a HDTV also. Now I don’t understand why I waited so long to purchase either as I love both. Just wish I spent a little more for a larger TV as the 32 inch is a little small. At least it seems small now that I got the game. Funny it did not seem that small when I was playing Halo 3 or Oblivion.

HerbieZ
11-25-2007, 02:03 PM
I got the game yesterday. Been playing it for literally over 10 hours now. It's brilliant and i can't get over how cinematic the whole thing is. Ain't hit a romance subplot yet tho :(

stingerhs
11-26-2007, 06:30 PM
well, i'm still stuck with playing it on and off on my friend's 360 since i don't have one of my own (and won't have one for a while because of Christmas purchases). the gameplay is good, and its everything i've come to expect from Bioware.

my character is male, a spacer, a war hero, and primarily a Paragon. the nice thing with this game, though, is that the paragon/renegade options are separate. there are some situations where i prefer the renegade options, and i'm not really penalized for choosing so unless you're talking about a critical situation which are fairly obvious.

anyways, i really want to get to more of the game, but that's dependent on how schedules intertwine unfortunately. at least the good news is that he's likely to become a roommate relatively soon. :)

SpaceAlex
11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Because Bioware got a lot of money to do it as a 360 Exclusive. That's why.

That, and they like to focus on quality, not quatity. If there will be a PC version you can be sure that it will not be some crappy console port (KOTOR and JE weren't anyway).

I will personally wait for the PC version. If there won't be any... well, too bad. I won't buy an X360 for just one game (no other game really interests me).

mimartin
11-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Game Tip: Go to the Flux in the Wards, if Doran is on the dance floor highlight him and press A. ILMAO

Nancy Allen``
11-27-2007, 01:34 AM
This would have to be the most amazing game made yet. The graphics are absolutely out of this world, so lifelike, so detailed. Superb voice acting, and it helps to have your character vocal as opposed to the mute Revan and the Exile were. Plus attitude helps as well. 'The council can kiss my ass' so says Jane Shepard. We need to have strong female protagonists like this. You can make a decent Revan and Exile to boot. And they finally got RPG action right and rather than doing turn based or KOTOR style combat made it all dependent on how good you are. Not being railroaded into being a Jedi helps tremendously as well, let me be the soldier for a change. All in all I don't think this is game of the year, oh no, this at the moment look like it'll be game of the decade.

mur'phon
11-27-2007, 03:44 PM
After reading your reviews, and being short on cash, I'll try to date a gal with a 360. Wish me luck.
Oh, and nice to see you still alive nance, I thought achilles killed you.

Nancy Allen``
11-27-2007, 06:42 PM
He tried. So did others. I'm not content to be scared off and living in the past however. Well, it's good that someone's glad I'm here.

On Mass Effect, yeah it's totally sweet. We've come a long way in four years, a long way. I neglected to mention but you can put in a decent Revan or Exile if you wanted to.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/nancyallen/PDVD_001-1.jpg

Oh the irony, Bastila goes from fighting Revan to being her.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/nancyallen/PDVD_000-2.jpg

So does this girl do something to get kicked out of the game's equivilent of the Jedi?

One thing that's really been big with this however is how much people want to put George Bush in. Don't as me, I dunno, I just enjoy scenes where you stick a gun in a pervert's face and make him behave. It's funny to hear Carth's character (Raphel Sorez does the voice of one of the main characters, as does Jennifer Hale\Bastila for Jane Shepard) not going on about not trusting anyone as well.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Raphel Sorez.

You mean, Sbarge.

Nancy Allen``
11-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah, Sbarge, I was going from memory. Anyway it's funny to hear him going on about being paranoid and to trust where in KOTOR it's the other way around. So, anyone pick up any referrences or in jokes during the game?

mimartin
11-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Ain't hit a romance subplot yet tho :(I'm doing something wrong in this area. If I keep this up I'm going to have to name my Commander James T. Kirk Shepard.

I finished my second play through in 32h.52m.

I will try my luck with a Male, Spacer, War Hero with a Vanguard Military Specialization this time around. I just cannot get enough of this game.

mur'phon
11-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Ok, so the girl plan failed misserably, seems like the only way it might work would be to drink her under the table at the next party. Not looking forward to it as I intended to stay sober, but a man gotta do what a man gotta do. On the pluss side I played it in a store, and I agree completely with the others, this is the game of the year.

Well, it's good that someone's glad I'm here.
:) while I tend to disagre with you on most issues, kavars isn't the same without you and achilles ranting on page after page after......................

Nancy Allen``
11-29-2007, 02:18 AM
Entertainment value aside being baited was very much a mistake, one I urge others in the strongest possible terms not to repeat.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-29-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm doing something wrong in this area. If I keep this up I'm going to have to name my Commander James T. Kirk Shepard.

:D. Damn, I can't believe I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to get this game...

mimartin
11-29-2007, 10:50 PM
:D. Damn, I can't believe I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to get this game...
Well I guess you will be history for a while. I hope you enjoy it.

I do not want to give anything away, but my disparaging comments towards the Mako in post 210 were uncalled for. It is a fine craft, if you actually learn how to fight in it. As they say if all else fails read the directions. Hint: Like the Mazda commercial said, “Zoom, Zoom, Zoom” or in this case Zoom, Zoom.

12h 13m into my third game and Cygnus Q'ol is right “Biotic powers…are friggin' awesome” Now I don’t have to depend on Biotic NPC so much and can change up by squad. The two I’ve been using did not say much, but the new ones seem to say more.

JoeDoe 2.0
11-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Like most forumites here, I agree, THIS IS THE GAME OF THE YEAR, followed by Assassin's Creed. The chat with the NPC's is always fun, specially with Wrex, he always has something to say plus he's a hell of a fighter.

Gotta get all the achivements on this game, I already started my second game with my previous character, gonna go for level 60.

HerbieZ
11-30-2007, 04:40 PM
This game is amazing. Gotta love the detail, there is so much backstory in this game it's like i have known the franchise for years. I absolutely love the Turians and the Salarians. 29 hours and still on my first game. Im takin it all in baby.

Uilleand
11-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Ran across one of me new favourite Video Game lines in M.E. last night ... Wrex: "Just cuz I like ya, don't mean I won't kill ya."