PDA

View Full Version : Webhosting

RoxStar
05-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Hello friends,

I have been contracted by a friend of my uncle's to create a website for him. I am pretty spiffy when it comes to HTML/flash/CSS/whatever but I have never actually used a commercial webhost before. I am looking for a decent webhost to host my client's website as well as a host for my own personal site. I know that a few swampies have their own websites/ networks of mass destruction (lastchild, anime crisis center, echonet, and the like) so recommendations please!

I am looking for a host that provides

1. Reliability. I want this host to be up at least 99% of the time.
2. A decent amount of space. Nothing major, just enough to run a forum and host pictures.My client installs, finishes, and restores flooring in the Chicago area, so a decent amount of bandwidth and storage space for pictures is a must.
3. PHP MySQL and Perl. Please :D

ZBomber
05-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I used bluehost.com when I had a website... its pretty good, rather cheap and lots of bandwidth/webspace. Rarely ever down when I was with them.

Jeff
05-26-2007, 01:56 PM
I get a lot of good recommendations for A Small Orange (http://asmallorange.com/), though I don't use them. My webhost is 1and1 which honestly I don't recommend because their control panel is no good.

Tyrion
05-26-2007, 02:09 PM
I used bluehost.com when I had a website...

What happened to TheLastChild?

ZBomber
05-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Long story... we kept getting attacked by bots on our forums. So we basically just gave up on the site and now its offline.

EDIT - Also, Bluehost has the latest model of cPanel... its really pretty good, I'd check them out. Highly recommended.

Joetheeskimo
05-26-2007, 03:52 PM
I use Surpass Hosting (http://www.surpasshosting.com) for my website, which actually exceeds what I really need. It is used by websites that have thousands of members and upload features. It has cPanel X, phpMyAdmin (which implies PHP/Perl and MySQL support), and it has never been down once for all the time I've used it (which is about 4 years now I believe). It also includes a forum community which is well-visited.

The pricing is quite low considering it gives you very large amounts of disk space and bandwith. The cheapest hosting package - $60/year - gives 200 GB of space and 2,000 GB of bandwith.