PDA

View Full Version : To Any Experienced Lightsaber Modelers

Mono_Giganto
07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
This question has been rolling in the back of my mind since we could first start editing lightsaber models, but being more of a blaster guy, it never seemed important. Now I just thought I'd ask out of curiosity.

I haven't been keeping up with modding tools as much as I used to, but I haven't seen anything new in that area, so before I ask the question, I assume the replacer function in MDL Ops is still the prominent tool for exporting custom lightsaber models?

If so, I also assume that it still has the limitation of limiting lightsaber models to one mesh object per model?

So this is my question: Why is it that we can only assign one texture/shader per lightsaber model, when it is possible to assign multiple materials to a single mesh object within 3DS Max?

Has anyone tried exporting a lightsaber hilt mesh with multiple textures assigned? Will the KotOR games not acknowledge the second material/texture? I've read many threads, but never heard mention of this.

I find it difficult to believe that with so many talented modelers in this forum, that no one has experimented with this, at least to my knowledge, so I've assumed for a while that it simply doesn't work. I guess I'm just curious as to why it doesn't work. *Shrug*

I've considered testing it myself, but I have neither game installed currently, so I thought I'd at least ask first, and see if anyone's looked into it, and the thread just avoided my notice.

T7nowhere
07-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Has anyone tried exporting a lightsaber hilt mesh with multiple textures assigned? Will the KotOR games not acknowledge the second material/texture? I've read many threads, but never heard mention of this.

I find it difficult to believe that with so many talented modelers in this forum, that no one has experimented with this, at least to my knowledge, so I've assumed for a while that it simply doesn't work. I guess I'm just curious as to why it doesn't work. *Shrug*

I've considered testing it myself, but I have neither game installed currently, so I thought I'd at least ask first, and see if anyone's looked into it, and the thread just avoided my notice.

I'm pretty sure that nwmax can only export a model with a single material. I think I tried way back when and it didn't work. But if you want to install your game and try be my quest. I don't have either game installed either. :P

Mono_Giganto
08-01-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that nwmax can only export a model with a single material. I think I tried way back when and it didn't work.

I figured it'd be something along those lines. I may check it out for myself if I have the time to install at least one of the games at some point. Thanks for the reply. :)