PDA

View Full Version : Module Reskinning Problems


Coola
08-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Right now i'm working on reskinning several new areas for a mod im making (read about it in the Coruscant Mod WIP). I have been given the textures to implement, but i'm having some difficulties making it so it only appears on my mod and not the original module. I've been following the reskinning tutorial here on holowan labs, but so far, no luck. Heres a list of what i've done so far for dantooine sandral estate:

All the texture files that were called LDA_*.tga renamed to ZZA_*.tga

All the .MDL files that i extracted called m16aa_*.mdl to m99ac_*.mdl

All the .MDX files that i extracted called m16aa_*.mdx to m99ac_*.mdx

All the .WOK files that i extracted called m16aa_*.wok to m99ac_*.wok

The m16aa.lyt file renamed to m99ac.lyt with all references to m16aa changed to m99ac (except for "filedependancy"...anyone know what this is?)

The m16aa.vis file renamed to m99ac.vis

HEX edited .vis file to reference m99ac instead of m16aa

HEX edited .mdl files to reference m99ac instead of m16aa and ZZA instead of LDA

Changed the Tag and Room references in the m16aa.are file to point to m99ac, then renamed m16aa.are to m99ac.are

Changed the Mod_Area_List reference in the module.ifo file to point to m99ac, as well as the mod_entry point and name.

Renamed the .git and .pth files from m16aa to m99ac.

Packed my module into a .mod file, and put the .mdl, .mdx, .wok, .lyt, .vis and the textures all in the override folder.

So far my best result was the level loading with every wall black, characters/doors/lights all perfectly visible, and weird white squares falling from the skylights(meant to be leaves i think), as well as the tree with white branches.

Any help would be appreciated!

Miltiades
08-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Are you sure you HEX edited right? I'm not sure about the referencing? Because when I reskinned a module (Harbinger), I didn't change every HAR into my own name. Those who were 152HAR I didn't change, only those who were only HAR without the numbers. I also only changed the ones of which I knew were textures that the game used.

Maybe you should only change reference of the textures, not the module itself. So leave the ZZA, but maybe changing m16aa to m99ac "in the .mdl file itself" was wrong...

Coola
08-12-2007, 03:39 AM
Are you sure you HEX edited right? I'm not sure about the referencing? Because when I reskinned a module (Harbinger), I didn't change every HAR into my own name. Those who were 152HAR I didn't change, only those who were only HAR without the numbers. I also only changed the ones of which I knew were textures that the game used.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but the 152HAR is from KOTOR TSL. Because kotor follows codes like m16aa, what am i supposed to look for "without numbers".

Maybe you should only change reference of the textures, not the module itself. So leave the ZZA, but maybe changing m16aa to m99ac "in the .mdl file itself" was wrong...

That doesn't solve the main problem, if i dont change the module reference, then it's a waste of time. All im doing is telling Dantooine to look at those textures instead of the normal ones.

Thanks anyway

Miltiades
08-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Kotor2 area models are a lot different in that way, I see. Not only is the code of Kotor2 always a three-number digit, it's textures are always named beginning with the three-number digit of it's module. So if your module is called 152HAR for example, then it's textures are always called HAR_...

With Kotor are models, for m16aa_01a for example, the textures are called LDA_...

So, when I said that I changed the HAR's only, not the 152HAR's, that meant that I only changed the name of the textures, not of the module itself. So in Kotor, you should only change the LTA's, or LDA's in your example, to ZZA, but you should leave the name of the module the way it is, in the .mdl file itself of course.

It's worth a try...

Coola
08-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Hmmm i'm going to try this again from a fresh start. Got about 20 model files and stuff everywhere. Hopefully I can get this in

UPDATE: When I implemented the Lower Security Center textures, the same blackness happened, but i noticed something i didn't see in the upper center. Because the lower center has enemies, I was being attacked. I noticed that their blaster fire "lit up the darkness" of the black textures to reveal them underneath.

I've posted a screenie here (http://www.freewebs.com/corekotor/MediaPictures/TextureProb/textureprob1.jpg), but i cant tell if they're Quanon's textures or not. Either way, I have no idea what this problem might be.


UPDATE 2:
I just noticed soming in all the .mdl files.
In the module m09aa, each model files contain references to themselves twice, and then the rest of the instances have _lm# after it. This might be whats causing it, because it seems like it could be "Light Map", so i'm tried just editing the two instances at the start of each model file. That was the problem. :)