PDA

View Full Version : Wii to Computer Monitor?

Jeff
09-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey all. I've done a little searching around but I didn't find anything very definitive. What I want to do is find an adaptor or something so I can hook my Wii up to a computer monitor. My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW. Can it be done?

Negative Sun
10-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Dammit I've seen a complete guide for it somewhere and I cannot remember where it was!
That's gonna bug me now, I'll get back to you if I remember, it was either in a mag or online somewhere *thinks hard*

Negative Sun
10-09-2007, 07:43 PM
I dunno how much you found, but I looked around and it was pretty much what I remembered from the article, you need a Bluetooth adaptor and then a couple of programs, the most important one being GlovePIE (http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie_download) (what a horrible name lolz!)

I also remembered an app called BlueSoleil, which is necessary because the windows bluetooth drivers won't cut it apparently...

The best guide I've found is here (http://www.wiili.org/index.php/How_To:_Windows_Wiimote), oh and I'm assuming you're using Windows?

Jeff
10-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Yep, I also have Linux but it would be easiest in Windows I would think. Thanks for digging those up, I'll check them out.

Negative Sun
10-10-2007, 03:40 AM
NP

Good luck with that, let me know how it goes.

Q
10-10-2007, 07:39 AM
I was curious about this subject as well.

Nice monitor, Moells. TN panels have come a long way (my monitor uses one as well). Do you like it?

Astrotoy7
10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
C'mon NegSun..... moels wants to plug his Wii into his nice monitor, not play Quake with his wiimote !! Moels... read on:

Firstly, if all you want to do is plug the wii into the monitor to use the monitor as a display....it has *naught* to do with windows and linux....your pc can be off in another room serenading hookers and it will still work :D

If you want your pc involved, this is usually done when people want to make gameplay captures... you need a capture card or usb capture device, like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=612720&sku=O38-1022

I have one which I use to convert miniDV and VHS to digital>DVD.

http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/O38-1022b.jpg

It is quite a memory intensive process, so I really cant guarantee how it goes for extended live gameplay... and you need a decent CPU/RAM to pull it off..

So, you're better going off with the tailor-made option..

Im not sure if that 720p firmware upgrade has coem in yet, but even so - most existing games wouldnt operate at 720p but rely on 'smoke n mirror' aka upscaling to fill a screen.... ugh

Im all for plugging in hdmi to vga to get stunning 1080p.... but the wii....

anyway, I am actually here to help, not rant about the wii's substandard hardware :p Here is what you seek :

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=20876

mtfbwya

Negative Sun
10-10-2007, 02:50 PM
lolz I should've read the first post more carefully, aw well, it's something else to try out huh?

That video capture tool is quite handy I've heard, it helped me a lot when I was going for an all S-Rank in Devil May Cry in Dante Must Die! Mode (aka "you snooze, you die, a lot!" Mode), a guy from the UK here put his vids online and it helped me with some of the tactics in my own pwnage game, and all I've got is a picture of my telly screen to prove it, but hey, it's proof as well :xp:

Jeff
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks Astro, that was more of what I was looking for I think. I know its not as pretty as 1080p :p but its gotta be better than my roommate's ~15" tv that I rarely get to use anyways. Thanks again for the help guys.

edit: Ordered! 7-15 days shipping though. :fist:

Negative Sun
10-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks Astro, that was more of what I was looking for I think. I know its not as pretty as 1080p :p but its gotta be better than my roommate's ~15" tv that I rarely get to use anyways. Thanks again for the help guys.

edit: Ordered! 7-15 days shipping though. :fist:
Haw!
I use a 15" telly for gaming, it works just fine if you sit 2 feet away from it :xp:

Jeff
10-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Well I got the cable but I don't have my monitor's vga cable, only the digital cable. ;_; So my vga cable will be sent from home, hopefully I'll have it in a day or two.

Astrotoy7
10-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Well I got the cable but I don't have my monitor's vga cable, only the digital cable. ;_; So my vga cable will be sent from home, hopefully I'll have it in a day or two.

lolz... forward thinking is your friend Moels ;)

hope it works out well...let us know ;)

@negsun... CRT monitors are crazily cheap(ebay, markets, free) and can have a great picture. Your much better off getting a cable like moels did and plugging into a crt monitor and playing without sitting 2ft away, squinting and pretending its ok. I have a 17" flatron, bulky as heck, but beautiful image - sitting in my garage scaring away cockroaches.

mtfbwya