PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Problem

Eefluxx
10-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Okay I know this doesn't involve K1 or TSL yet, but I a need a new video card for a computer so I can put those games on it so I hope this is in the right place. First off I bought a 256mb GEFORCE 5200 video card today to put on a Dell computer 1.8gz processor and 256mb ram. All I get is a screen that is black on one side and green on the other. Basically looks like the NVidia colors without the logo. After awhile I got just a black screen with the recycle bin the only thing showing besides the mouse. After looking closer at the specs on the computer and mininum requirements on the video card I discovered that a 250 watt power supply was required and the Dell I have is only 200watts. Does this really make a big difference? If so then thats fine, however I went and got an older card out of a 800mz HP that I had that was a 64mb e-GeForce2MX400. It had worked fine in the older computer but all I get in the Dell is a black and green screen like before. Can anyone figure out what might be causeing the problem. I downloaded the drivers and followed the instructions both in the guide and from online from PNY support and nothing has worked, so I was hoping some of the local experts might know what to do.

Thanks

Eefluxx

RedHawke
10-07-2007, 03:52 AM
Moving to the General Tech Discussion Forum...

Better chance at an answer there. ;)

Q
10-07-2007, 09:01 AM
First off, this sounds like a driver issue. You'll need to download the latest ForceWare driver (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us) from Nvidia.

Before you install it, you'll have to uninstall the old driver, and I highly recommend that you use Driver Cleaner Pro (http://www.overclock.net/downloads/138459-driver-cleaner-pro-1-5-a.html) to completely remove all of the old driver's components. Just download it, follow the instructions and then install the new driver.

Eefluxx
10-07-2007, 01:54 PM
First off, Thank you Redhawke for finding the right spot for this question :)

Second, Qliveur, the computer I am installing it on doesn't have internet, so can I download the drivers and the Cleaner Pro to a CDR and then download them to the other computer?

And thanks for the help :)

Q
10-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Sure, you can.:)

And you shouldn't have to worry about the power supply. Dell PSUs are usually capable of delivering more than their rated power.

Eefluxx
10-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Its still not working, I wonder if it has something to do with the computer itself. I bought it from my sister and she had problems with games but didn't try to install a video card with it. I am wondering if I do a complete restore on it and start over from the beginning. There is nothing on it that I have to have.

Q
10-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Reinstalling Windows and starting from scratch might be a good idea.

Astrotoy7
10-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Getting an old pc is grouds for a scrub up, especially one that used to belong to a girl... so many hard drive sectors of Justin Timberlake pics and songs is just no good for 1337 gaming :D

*apologies in advance to male JT fans, and females for the generalisation* :)

mtfbwya