PDA

View Full Version : Which type of mods do people like best for KOTOR TSL?

Darth Xander
11-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I just need to know so I can make popular mods.

T3-M4
11-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, I like skins for my characters; like my Hutt Jedi, (Don't ask XD)

Corinthian
11-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Like this guy? (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beldorian)

Jasper_Kazai
11-16-2007, 03:40 PM
My favorite mods are weapons, but more specifically Force powers.
Second would probably be models/skins.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-16-2007, 05:19 PM
If you had the option of creating entirely new environments, I would go for modules. Since not, I would choose restored content; they're scarce, but count with developer quality standard.

Next I would go for new Force Powers (Weapons) then characters.

adamqd
11-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Probably modules, I can mod heads and robes for my own personal use, but I've never really delved in to modules or restored content :)

Darth Xander
11-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Like this guy? (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beldorian)Finally one gets of its lazy butt and does something! :bounce3:
But lets stay on the topic.

Nancy Allen``
11-16-2007, 06:34 PM
If you want to make good mods then I recommend making player skins, or redesigning and improving the existing ones. Mods that restore content is always a favourite, as are those that add new content, the more professional and done up the better.

Totenkopf
11-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Powerful weapons and cool skins are always welcome. If you've the skills and patience to conquer a module, so much the better. Frankly, if your voice skills are up to it, snd would be a welcome addition to any character you might make. Snd FX too.

Darth Xander
11-17-2007, 08:03 PM
What do you mean by conquer?

Jasper_Kazai
11-17-2007, 11:13 PM
What do you mean by conquer?I'm guessing master the technique of making a module that doesn't suck? Lol.

RedHawke
11-18-2007, 01:32 AM
I just need to know so I can make popular mods.

So you are saying you crave modding fame?
You feel the need to make only mods that will be 'popular'?
This will significantly add to your self worth to only make 'popular' mods?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions then you are modding for all the wrong reasons.

Make mods you like and want... not to please "the masses". Believe me they will enjoy what you do make nonetheless. ;)

What do you mean by conquer?
Because tweaking modules is a struggle to do so and to produce anything playable is a victory for the person creating it... also the knowledge it takes... so I say conquer is an appropriate word for it. ;)

Darth Xander
11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Redhawke, I only want to make mods for people to download and enjoy but to do that I need to know what type of mods people like.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-18-2007, 10:09 AM
^ Well, actually RH is right. The process of making a mod is difficult and time consuming. If you're not doing a mod that you enjoy, then you probably will give up or the result won't be as satisfying as you wished.

adamqd
11-18-2007, 12:05 PM
^^^
actually, by your philosophy he enjoys making mods for people and that is what he's doing, just let people decide there own reason for doing things :)

xrefusex
11-18-2007, 02:34 PM
I suppose the argument is that if you have a focused passion on doing a particular type of mod, you are probably more likely to create something better than you would compared to doing a 'commissioned' mod, because of going that extra mile. If a mod is good, people will download it. I certainly am not biased towards the type of mods I download, I just like well-done mods that can seemlessly intergrate into the game to offer a greater, more in-depth gaming experience. That be said, I don't really use any weapon/items mods, as I either have to start a game from the beginning, if they are intergrated early in the game or resort to cheating to gain them, something I think interupts the game development.

Lance Monance
11-18-2007, 03:26 PM
All mods are good if they're well done. Personally I favor those that add something to the story. A lot of new dialoge, perhaps new areas, new npcs.. and a good story. An absolute must-have for me. :)

Totenkopf
11-18-2007, 04:00 PM
RH is correct though, DX. You can make mods based on a sort of poll like you have, but they won't be popular if they don't turn out well. I'd say maybe you should look around throughout the various threads and see what kind of things people here say they'd like to see and figure out if you can actually do that. If so...get crackin. Just remember, though, if you set out to please everyone, you often please noone (even including yourself). As long as you can maintain whatever passion you have for modding, whether a "commissioned" project or one of your own design, it should show. As you know from your own experience, some are easier than others (with good modules probably being the hardest/most time consuming). Think of it like writing a novel. A lot of people like romances (and they can make big $$), but if you don't, it will probably show in your work. People tend to abandon projects they lose interest in, so look for the overlap between you and others and work from there. Good luck.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Totenkpof raised an important feature of modding. Whenever you mod with a team, you must also work to keep everyone involved interested, even if you're not the project leader.

RedHawke
11-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Redhawke, I only want to make mods for people to download and enjoy but to do that I need to know what type of mods people like.
Fact: People like all kinds of mods. If you make it they will download it...

But feel free to ignore me, whatever floats your boat Xander... go for it. ;)

actually, by your philosophy he enjoys making mods for people and that is what he's doing,
Sounds like modding for the 'glory' of it to me. Never a good thing.

just let people decide there own reason for doing things :)
But here's the clincher, the 'reason' you are modding will indeed effect the outcome, if any, of your released mod.

We have a person (who will remain anon) who used to post around here, that modded for the fun, initially, but slowly he became engrossed in the 'glory'... that never ends well.

adamqd
11-19-2007, 05:04 AM
^^^
I agree with what your saying :) It just seems a bit of a trivial subject to warrant these kind of posts, which have in turn killed the thread anyway

Edit: Trivial? Hardly... re-read the last lines of my above post. All that started out "trivial" too. -RH

Nancy Allen``
11-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Rather than trying to tailor make mods that people want try finding mods you would enjoy making that you know others would enjoy playing. The person who actually owns the computer I use used to make images, he still does. He did things like character designs for Star Wars characters, including a Revan pic I put up ages ago and various Star Wars characters for Soul Calibur (at last count there was Revans, Exiles, Lonna Vash, Aayla, Mara...I'll get him to do Luke, Han, ect) as well as various images for games and animation. Now he was under no obligation to do this, sure he had requests but the reason he did it was not for glory but because he enjoyed it and was kind enough to share the fruits of his labors.

Jae Onasi
11-19-2007, 10:18 AM
DX, you'll be spending a lot of time making the mod, if you're going to do a good, comprehensive one. Make it something that _you_ like, because if you don't, you'll have less chance of completing or doing well on it.

It's the same way with writing--I write stories that I'd personally like to read, because it takes a lot of effort, and I spend a lot of time with that story. If I didn't write about something I like, it would never get done--I'd lose interest half way through and quit writing it.

Jasper_Kazai
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Both sides of the argument have points. While you shouldn't cater specifically to other people all of the time, I believe Xander was simply out of ideas and thought to turn to the community to see if he could pull some ideas out of the results.

Totenkopf
11-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Perhaps if he left out "popular" he might not have received so much unsolicited advice. ;) Still, I think he got some ideas nonetheless. If you haven't soured on the idea, DX, get crackin'. :D

RedHawke
11-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Perhaps if he left out "popular" he might not have received so much unsolicited advice. ;)
Nope... I would give the same advice no matter the words used. I have done so in the past, and will continue to do so.

Totenkopf
11-20-2007, 12:17 AM
You weren't the only one, though. ;) (though much of your commentary did focus on the concept of popular as a poor motivation).

RedHawke
11-20-2007, 12:22 AM
(though much of your commentary did focus on the concept of popular as a poor motivation).
So?

Edit: Perhaps you missed my above post (#20)... the last line particularly. Seeking fame is a poor motivation.

adamqd
11-20-2007, 05:42 AM
Edit: Trivial? Hardly... re-read the last lines of my above post. All that started out "trivial" too. -RH

Edit: I'm not saying what you enjoy doing is trivial but, words like "for the Glory" and commenting on his motivations in life are hardly needed for a guy asking a question about an amateur hobbie... thats all I meant -AQD

Totenkopf
11-20-2007, 10:14 PM
So?

Edit: Perhaps you missed my above post (#20)... the last line particularly. Seeking fame is a poor motivation.

So.....what? If you read mine (as well as others) then you know all of us were in agreement about motivation. It doesn't change the fact that our well intentioned advice was unsolicited. Our flap really seems to be over my use of the word popular in making that point. Wasn't slamming anyone with the original observation. You can pm me if you still have a problem.

RedHawke
11-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Our flap really seems to be over my use of the word popular in making that point. Wasn't slamming anyone with the original observation. You can pm me if you still have a problem.
What problem? It seems to me that you just want to make 'mountains out of mole-hills here'.

And for the record you PM'd me about this, I think it shows that you seem to be the one trying to initiate something here, not I.

If you look you can clearly see Xander replied to me (and he it seems didn't have 'ruffled feathers' over this), I don't see "the issue" you are trying to fabricate here.

All this is quite silly IMHO.

Darth InSidious
11-21-2007, 10:43 AM
All this is quite silly IMHO.
Motion seconded.

What are you two arguing about? Seriously, I'm confused looking for a point here.

Prime
11-21-2007, 11:31 AM
There is a request threads if you are stuck for inspiration. But RedHawke is right. Do something you want to do, because it is a time and effort investment. So many projects die because people do things solely because they think others will want them.

And the most popular mods are typically the ones that have had the most effort put into them thus are the most polished.

So you are saying you crave modding fame? Who doesn't. The chicks are awesome!!

Gargoyle King
11-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Who doesn't. The chicks are awesome!!Wha? Cyber Chicks? :lol:

I think Totenkopf better quit his jibber-jabber before Prime unleashes MR.T onto him (perhaps in a tank like off that amazing Snickers advert). :D
....... Better start runnin! He's already here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eisa5AZ20W0) :lol:

I like mods where people have put there best effort into the mod, as it shows when you play it. Being a non-modder i respect a lot of work even if some seem rushed or "incomplete" as i'd love to be able to mod, but am a bit of a thicko in this department! :lol:

I also love mods of which are constantly updated. Take the "Brotherhood of Shadow" for example, even though early revisions have had their problems Silveredge has constantly worked to improve the work. I respect that as i think that's what it takes to be a good Kotor modder, or a game modder in general, dedication.

TKA-001
11-21-2007, 08:16 PM
I prefer content mods. A new weapon on its own simply can't compare to a brand-new quest.

H2O
11-22-2007, 06:56 AM
Mods I'd like to see more of would be content and modules, I reckon. Gives you more creative power, you can say more with them, make them really entertaining. But as GK said, it's the effort and care put in that really counts more than anything. Some of my favourite mods are only very simple, like one or two files, but they're done with care and style.

On the other hand, these days I seem to be hanging out for new modding tools more than actual mods. Being able to mod is the best mod of all! :D Gaming should be creative IMO.

RedHawke
11-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Who doesn't. The chicks are awesome!!
Damn straight!

Arcesious
11-28-2007, 01:28 AM
restored content cause i'd like to see M4-78 as a planet and as a major sidequest like the HK mod instead of the pathetic and glitchy 'droid planet mod' we have now.

tk102
11-30-2007, 04:05 PM
On the other hand, these days I seem to be hanging out for new modding tools more than actual mods. Being able to mod is the best mod of all! The ultimate truth has been revealed. Thread over.

Darth Xander
12-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Ok I realise popular wasn't the best word to use, I just want people to be happy and get what they want.

Dark Diva
12-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Well personally I've started modding for me. There were things I wanted that I couldn't find in any other mods (like a PC skin with blond hair that didn't look green!). The reason I released my first mod and I'm planning on releasing others is because I'm rather pleased with the outcome and want to show it off in the hope that there are hot male mod groupies as well:giggle1: If your looking to do a mod for others though, I second checking the request forum.