PDA

View Full Version : (TSL)How to get a good portrait for you character

Eefluxx
12-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I am just wondering what some of the best methods are for getting a good portrait. Like where is the best place to take a screenshot to get a good picture and so on. I have tried head selection screen but the picture seems to up close and I have tried right after the beginning when you leave the kolto tank but then it seems to far away. Another place I tried is during the cutscene when you character is talking to the HK50 droid but that one seemed to wide, liked it stretched their face or something. so I was just wondering where some of you great modders might take your screenshots from for the portraits of the characters you put into the game

Thanks

Eefluxx

glovemaster
12-13-2007, 02:46 PM
I would try and find a blank wall and change character, enter first person view (CAPS LOCK for me) and then screenshot them from up close.
Then i would open the file up in photoshop, or Paint.NET and crop out the background and add some gradient effect, as with most portraits ;)

Hope that helps :p

Eefluxx
12-13-2007, 02:56 PM
I didn't think about taking the screenshot from a different characters position. Thanks Glovemaster I will try that

redrob41
12-17-2007, 03:28 AM
There are two places that I like to use for screenshots. One is right on the Endar Spire, because it has some great lighting. I usually move my character around untill I get some nice shadows on the face, then wait for him/her to make a nice expression, and press pause. This way, I can keep them in the same pose when I use the cheat console to adddarkside by increments of 10, and get all five transition portraits. This is where I usually have the PC stand, and I sometimes position Trask so that the PC looks in his direction:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9054/portraitsampleue1.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=portraitsampleue1.jpg)

Here is the result after Photoshopping it:
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3770/pormhech02ey3.jpg

The other place I like to use is the Manaan hanger because of the naturalistic lighting. I usually warp there (warp manm26ad) with Trask after starting a new game with a PC I'm testing. With the blue/grey background, it will make warm colored characters really stand out. Sometimes I'll use Tatooine (warp tat_m18ac) if my PC is a cool color (like my green lizards). Here it's just the oposite; a cool character stands out against the orangy warm sand. The only problem is that the lighting is really strong, so sometimes the highlights are a little too bright.

After that, I pretty much do what glovemaster does. I've also found that if I turn solo mode ON, that it's easier to get screen shots of the side and back of the PC when using Trask in first person mode.

Ferc Kast
12-17-2007, 10:17 PM
So, it's better and/or easier to use Photoshop than the Gimp when making portraits and skins?

Darth Kalverys
12-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Not necessarily... depends on if you can use gimp to it's... maximum capacity. It really depends on the user. I personally suck at Gimp... so I know I would suck at Photoshop... so... no, I don't do reskins... although you could simply take a picture... crop the head and part of the body and not do anything to the background, and VIOLA! A new head portrait.