PDA

View Full Version : Carth Or Atton

TehBombKerushii
12-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Well I know who I would pick *cough* Carth *cough* but I would like to know about you guys! If you had to pick, who would you rather have around?

JediMaster12
12-20-2007, 06:47 PM
I would choose Atton. I happen to like nice men but a scoundrel works just fine :p

RobQel-Droma
12-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Carth.

But I like Atton too. It's just that I like the first KOTOR's story/characters a bit more, since I like Atton as character maybe just as well.

Jasper_Kazai
12-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Atton, he's less whiny than Carth. And you can make Atton a Jedi.
Well, I guess that's unfair to say. Carth would have been a Jedi had he been in K2 also. Because even though they're almost extinct, everyone can be a Jedi in K2. :rolleyes:

RobQel-Droma
12-20-2007, 10:57 PM
^Lol. Its funny how so many people have force potential in a galaxy where Jedi are hunted to extinction, isn't it? Kind of ironic, although its not like its unbelievable.

However, Carth may be whiny, but I give him an A+ for "heart". :xp:

Igos
12-20-2007, 11:21 PM
They're quite different, I think. Personally, I felt as if Carth was a more solid character overall; I disliked they way they portrayed Atton's past in TSL. It's a close call, for me, though.

Rev7
12-21-2007, 01:06 AM
I liked both of the characters, but I voted for Carth. Atton was very very close behind. :)

Miltiades
12-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Atton, for sure. He's got some very funny lines, and at the same time, got no reason to be the funny guy, with his dark past.

adamqd
12-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Definitely Carth, although Atton deserves an honorable mention for getting me through the Hell-Hole we all know as Peragus, he's also quite funny.

Kas'!m
12-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Atton simply because he's a Jedi

Obi-Wan Baloney
12-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Definitely Atton. He was more like a Han Solo of sorts. Carth was cool, but he held too many grudges. Atton could pretty much care less.

Shem
12-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Let the rivalry start, especially if both were party members in KOTOR III.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5223/attoncarth4ic7.jpg

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/potd/66483

Miltiades
12-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Hehe, nice one. :p

Lordjedi
12-25-2007, 10:06 PM
I chose Carth

Tommycat
12-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Atton: Better lines.

Ravnas
01-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Atton, For me he was less whiny but he didn't say much after training to be a jedi.

lord-nihilus
02-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Stupid idiot ATTON! carth is babbling fool!

Hawkstrong16
02-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Carth is a annoying little SOB but I liked him more then Atton.

Granted that could be because I didn't like Kotor II that much

TKA-001
02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Let's see here.

One of them is a whiny, completely unoriginal goody two-shoed brat.

The other is kind of like Han Solo, and isn't suspicious to the point of being irrational.

Guess which one I voted for.

Emperor Devon
02-04-2008, 04:08 PM
One of them is a whiny

How is this bad? I much prefer party members that can think independently enough to take issue with your character (and if it's for irrational reasons, that makes them all the better). It makes them far more human than if they agree with everything you say and do everything you tell. Seeing Carth irrationally yell at your PC that he wouldn't let himself be betrayed again had more life than 90% of the game's other scenes.

completely unoriginal

In comparison to many of the game's other party characters? How so?

goody two-shoed

Spending his life unhealthily obsessing over murdering someone constitutes goody-two-shoed-ness?

On the poll, undecided. Atton had a fun personality and a backstory I adored (former torturer/professional killer and all), but Carth's character had quite a bit of depth to it. They're too different to effectively compare.

Totenkopf
02-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, not his unhealthy obsession w/Saul so much as the rest of the second guessing he does to you, never mind nixing/hurting your ability to extort or hurt others while he's in your party. I'm inclined to agree that Carth is a more solidly fleshed out than Atton. Having said that, it would be a close call. I think Carth would be more dependable, but Atton more of a cutup. I'd probably be inclined to use them (or not) equally. Maybe you could include neither or both as choices.

Arátoeldar
02-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Carth because of his dependability.

Talyn82
02-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I choose Atton, because he's not a coward like Carth. I lost respect for Carth, when he left Mission, a 14 year old girl to die on the "Unknown Planet". Throughout the game npc's say Carth is a great hero, but on the "Unknown Planet" he showed his true colors.

Master Shake
02-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Atton hands down....Republic soldier who cant let go of his past or ex murderer turned jedi....I choose the latter

Uilleand
02-07-2008, 01:35 AM
oohh...Close call for me....as much as I adore Carth, and I do, believe me ... I love the darkness in Atton. As a character, he's so complex and twisted...I guess that's why he shows up in everything I write....
When it comes down to real life...I married a Carth...but I can still think nasty thoughts about an Atton, can't I?? hehehe

TKA-001
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
In comparison to many of the game's other party characters? How so?
I'm amazed that you even need to ask such an absurd question.

1. Soldier who's unswervingly loyal to the good guys.

2. Betrayed by his friend/mentor (Saul).

3. Family members (wife and son, dunno what happened to his father) killed by treacherous former mentor (Dustil wasn't actually dead, but as far as Carth knows, he might as well be), swears revenge.

4. Eventually gets back at Saul and avenges his dead family member(s) or whoever.

5. He irrationally and unsurprisingly feels partially guilty for his family's death(s).

7. When Saul is almost dead he has to be told not to "follow the dark side" (or whatever Bastila said) because he can only kill people the good way.

8. His son is equally whiny and completely irrationally blames his father for the mother's death. He also irrationally joins the Sith for the sake of giving Carth a sidequest.

9. Naturally though, Carth has the opportunity to redeem his son.

10. Carth stereotypically sacrifices himself (cut dark side female ending).

11. If player is dark side, Carth feels irrationally [and unsurprisingly] guilty for "letting it happen" or not "seeing it coming".

12. If player is dark side, Carth gets to escape while the other light-sided party members drop like flies.

Etcetera.

Corinthian
02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Choose between the two? They're practically clones. Aside from the fact that Atton looks more ridiculous, and compensates for whining slightly less.

DeadYorick
02-07-2008, 07:05 PM
7. When Saul is almost dead he has to be told not to "follow the dark side" (or whatever Bastila said) because he can only kill people the good way.

Revan and Bastila told Carth not to do anything he would regret later. Bastila didn't want Carth to kill Saul out of anger. Since almost all of us have seen a star wars related media where something like that happens

Sabretooth
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
I frankly didn't like either character. Carth and his whole trust issues, Atton's ****ing wise-ass attitude in *every* situation and question - and then the big revelation of his past made me despise him even more.

Why is there no Yoda!!! option? :mad:

adamqd
02-08-2008, 04:09 AM
fist to the face or foot to the groin? I'd have to go with Carth, mainly because of how much I prefer the feel and story of the first game.

JediRevan
02-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I prefer Carth over Atton because Carth is more rugged looking.

Carth Vader
02-09-2008, 05:38 AM
I didn't get to vote before the poll closed, but I'd rather hang out with Carth. He has a kick ass voice, what can I say.. haha

cralexns
02-09-2008, 07:21 AM
I could just about tolerate Carth even though I was quite happy when he ran away crying. Atton was just a major pain in the ass and useless to boot - so I went ahead and voted for Carth!

Meowster
02-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm not entirely sure. The poll ended too soon for me, but even then it would be a tough decision.

Atton is well, I love his backstory, but after a few minutes, when you learn it, thats just it.

I guess I'll choose Carth; He can be pretty good with blasters, and his backstory was just a tad longer, plus his voice actor was REALLY good.

Arcesious
02-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Carth was awesome.
Atton is a random guy with a pathetic backround of emotional problems...

KNeo
02-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Carth owns and so does his voice. Atton was ok, but like most have already said, I liked KOTOR1 way better than 2.

It think most of it concerns with the game just being rushed. I think many more would have chosen Atton if the game had actually been completely finished. I believe (not positive on it ) that if the game had been finished all the way that Atton would have died. I'm sure it would have given his character a much bigger fan base.
It's the same sort of concept with final fantasy seven. In my belief if Aerith hadn't died that game probably wouldn't have been as well liked or loved. That scene was super epic though so it makes the game one of the best outta the series. Even though I don't myself like it that much.

But yeah same concept, Atton, if he would have died, probably would have gone on to be some epic hero and he'd be everyone's favorite.... or i'm crazy.. *shrug*

DeadYorick
02-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I like Atton more since he was more comical and he seemed like more of a pilot then Carth did. Carth seemed more like a general or a foot soldier. Atton seemed like Han Solo. I loved how he would always hit on the Exile in some comical way. Plus he had a pretty good sith backstory and I loved how you could train him to be a jedi. Carth was good since he had morals but Atton was cool as the pilot of the Ebon Hawk.

Lucian Hawke
02-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Carth Onasi - for the back-story and incredible voice acting (Raphael Sbarge). Carth, although fictional, really stood out (for me at least) above any other fictional companions. I actually felt like he was struggling to overcome his past and make amends. I often found myself thinking "Maybe Carth feels left out.. I should go back to the Ebon Hawk and see what he's up to.", where in other games, I couldn't give a rats ass.

Ben Bryddia
02-15-2008, 02:16 AM
Carth is an icon. Pure and complicated right? Honestly, I'd prefer having him around to having Mr.Rand about, though Atton is a Jack-of-all-trades, which is useful in an RPG. I will state very simply that I'm not a very adventurous person, so hanging around with a former Sith assassin, fringe pilot, and Jedi Knight would not be my best idea of a good time. We all know how trouble, adventures, and other troublesome things gravitate to Jedi more fiercely than they do to Gandalf.

Of course, that could also be said of Mr. Onasi. However, Carth seems like the kind of chap I'd rather have around in a tight place than Atton. So long as it wasn't something that involved gambling.
As for the originality of the characters, I feel I should point out that Anakin and Luke are both highly unoriginal characters considering their 'mythic hero evolution'. I'm tired, farewell yee denizens of Lucasforums.

-Bearer ti ato Krijinia.

patient_zero
02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Though I did like Atton, he and rest of the KotOR II Crew felt a bit... hollow. In K1 your party says bits and pieces to you as you go, you have to wait and slowly tease pieces of background information out of them and it felt like you interacted with them a lot more. Getting to know them felt rewarding, and you really started to care about them.

In TSL I started to become slightly manic in my efforts at first, talking to Atton before every area change to see if he'd have a "Something is bothering Carth, maybe you should speak to him" moment. But he never did until you hit the right place and got his backstory trigger. It felt a bit more "Oh, Influence Success! I think I'll tell you my entire life story condensed into five minutes of dialogue" than "Well, I think I know you better now, I should tell you some more about myself".

...Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of TSL. So as good as I thought Atton could have been with his whole "Scoundrel" effort and his nice hair, my vote would go to the Carth Onasi, possibly the first game character whose romance quest I actually wanted to participate in for reasons other than quest exp.

millinniummany3
02-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Atton. He's more the Han Solo type and playing Mass Effect I cannot help but think of Kaiden as Carth, which throws me a bit. I think it's the voice, you hear him and think Carth where you hear Shepard and don't recognise her as Bastila.

DarthAve
03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I like Atton better than Carth. I feel for Atton's backstory of the horrible dark past really compliment's The Exile more than Carth's backstory compliments Revan's. Also, Atton is certainly a more complex romantic interest than Carth, seeing as Atton seems like a warmer and friendler person to Carth's constant snapping at you in almost every dialogue option you had with him.So, I'm gonna have to go with Atton.

Gurges-Ahter
04-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Before opening this up, I thought Carth would win in a landslide. I was very surprised that it was close at all, and in fact more people voted for Atton. It's not even close for me - Carth hands down. Carth wasn't my favorite character to use in K1, and in fact I rarely used him when I had other options... but I never used Atton after I picked up Mira.

Bee Hoon
04-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Atton is angsty ex-Sith who says funny things! What's not to like? :xp:

Gurges-Ahter
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Atton is angsty ex-Sith who says funny things! What's not to like? :xp:
That's true - I suppose I'm biased toward Carth because I found his story-line in the game much more interesting; of course that holds true for most of K1 when compared to K2.

JCarter426
04-24-2008, 09:45 AM
I like Atton better than Carth. I feel for Atton's backstory of the horrible dark past really compliment's The Exile more than Carth's backstory compliments Revan's.

Would have been much better if BioWare had Revan order the attack on Telos instead of Malak. Obsidian really went the extra mile with the Exile being responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Atton's fellow soldiers.

Gurges-Ahter
04-24-2008, 10:24 AM
I just read Atton's wiki on wookieepedia, and now I can see more why he has a following. I played a male Exile, which limits the story with Atton, and I never learned all that much about his background (I guess because I didn't have high enough influence to unlock his troubled past about being an ex-Jedi hunter).

I need another play-through, both of K1 and of K2.

Corinthian
04-24-2008, 01:41 PM
I wound up deciding on Atton. I frankly despise both characters - they're both too whiny for their own good, and I really just wanted to saber both of them and then array their headless corpses before HK-47 like a grisly offering to my heathen gods. However, Atton had some genuinely amusing lines, whereas Carth just whined, and whined, and whined.

Melly
04-24-2008, 04:18 PM
While I find Atton amusing, I trust Carth to watch my back more. :xp: So Carth would get my vote.

Blix
04-24-2008, 08:57 PM
While I find Atton amusing, I trust Carth to watch my back more. :xp: So Carth would get my vote.

I have pretty much the same opinion on the matter, although imo Carth was always a bit whiney.

Lance Monance
04-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Carth is the Imoen of Kotor. Therefore Atton.

luckyariot
04-26-2008, 07:00 AM
*Shrug* I find that Atton has more potential as an interesting and complex character, but sadly, it wasn't finished. Carth is very well done, just... too cliche sometimes... Atton's cliche is twisted a bit, and made much darker, especially in cut content.

Ctrl Alt Del
04-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Atton. In the end, I just thought he had a more dramatic backstory, although somewhat incomplete.

If Carth was at his age on the comics, though, things would have been different.

Would have been much better if BioWare had Revan order the attack on Telos instead of Malak. Obsidian really went the extra mile with the Exile being responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Atton's fellow soldiers.
Well, I can't see Carth forgiving the player after the Leviathan if that was true. Independently of light, dark or, hell, even gray side.

JCarter426
04-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Still, would have been more interesting, wouldn't it? ;)

Speaking of which, I'm not even sure if Atton actually forgives the Exile.

Ctrl Alt Del
04-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Still, would have been more interesting, wouldn't it? ;)

IDK. That doesn't seem like Revan.

Corinthian
04-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Carth is the Imoen of Kotor. Therefore Atton.
How DARE you compare Imoen to Carth. Imoen at least had a personality beyond whining about her pitiful fate.

Melly
04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
IDK. That doesn't seem like Revan.

Does to me. *shrug* Revan played mind games with everybody. She played a mind game with the Jedi by destroying Telos. Kreia says in some of the cut dialog that Revan chose to destroy Telos because it was that last refuge of the Jedi and then they would have no where to run to if something were to happen to their other outposts (Dantooine, Coruscant).

She also played a mind game with the Jedi Council in the form of the Exile. The Exile came back and made the Council doubt their decision to stay out of the Mandalorian Wars.

And we know that Revan played a mind game with the Mandalorians too. Their leadership is decided by who has Mandalore's helm. When Revan defeated Mandalore she took the helmet, and rather than declaring herself the new Mandalore she hid it, so that they would never have a leader and would always be scattered.

So the Telos thing doesn't seem like so much of a stretch, to me. Besides I always disliked the fact that Revan was conveniently absolved of the blame for Telos. It was a cop out. And I applaud Obsidian for trying to make her responsible.

And Carth says he tried to hate Revan after the Leviathan for she's done ("for my wife, for Telos, for Dustil") but he couldn't and he says it's because his revenge on Saul didn't help a damn bit. She's also not entirely the same person, she's still Revan, but not Darth Revan. So I could still see him forgiving Revan even if she did give the order to destroy Telos.

(Granted a lot of that stuff about the mind games is from K2, but to me it fits with the "master tactician" that Revan was always put forth as, and never proved to be, in K1.)

Ctrl Alt Del
04-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Does to me. *shrug* Revan played mind games with everybody. She played a mind game with the Jedi by destroying Telos. Kreia says in some of the cut dialog that Revan chose to destroy Telos because it was that last refuge of the Jedi and then they would have no where to run to if something were to happen to their other outposts (Dantooine, Coruscant).
True? Never heard of it. Because:

1º Telos was destroyed by Malak's orders, not Revan's. The first game left it pretty clear.

2º The only time that Telos is a Jedi "stronghold" is about the K2 time. Sure, it was always there, but since the Sith completely missed that part of the world, they mustn't knew about that.

She also played a mind game with the Jedi Council in the form of the Exile. The Exile came back and made the Council doubt their decision to stay out of the Mandalorian Wars.
Uh? That was the Exile decision, no one else.

And we know that Revan played a mind game with the Mandalorians too. Their leadership is decided by who has Mandalore's helm. When Revan defeated Mandalore she took the helmet, and rather than declaring herself the new Mandalore she hid it, so that they would never have a leader and would always be scattered.
Point taken. Or not, I'm still reading through your post to find out the relation between being a manipulator and doing such a brutal act. In fact, he should use more... finesse.

Melly
04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
True? Never heard of it. Because:

1º Telos was destroyed by Malak's orders, not Revan's.

2º The only time that Telos is a Jedi "stronghold" is about the K2 time. Sure, it was always there, but since the Sith completely missed that part of the world, they mustn't knew about that.

Atris: “It was always intended for the Jedi to retreat to Telos should Dantooine be attacked - taking all their lore with them. We could not allow the tragedy at Ossus to happen again.”
Kreia: “Such an act marked Telos for destruction. It is why the Sith came here, though the fleet commanders did not know why. It is why Revan ordered its destruction to mark the beginning of the Jedi Civil War. It was a message that there would be no place for the Jedi to retreat, to hide. I would not be surprised if Revan left other gifts beneath the surface of the planet - much can be buried beneath graveyards that will never be found.”

"Before the war, Jedi who failed their training were sent to the fields of Telos, to serve the galaxy... not as Jedi Knights, but as farmers and laborers."~ Kreia. This is also backed up in the EU, by the Jedi Apprentice books, IIRC.

Uh? That was the Exile decision, no one else.
HK-47: Speculation: I believe Revan wanted you to face the Jedi Council, master. As if there was something that you would show them and possibly undermine their strength. Perhaps Revan wished the Council to see how far the Jedi had fallen. Knowing Revan, it was no doubt a strategic decision on many levels." Admitedly he does say that's his speculation, but knowing Revan (and how everyone uses the Exile), I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. And HK does act as Revan's mouthpiece in K2.

Point taken. Or not, I'm still reading through your post to find out the relation between being a manipulator and cutting someone's jaw deliberately. Er, I never believed that Revan did cut off Malak's jaw... If that's not what your other post was about I apologize. *blush* I thought you were talking about Revan being responsible for Telos' destruction?

Indeed. But you still haven't answered the question: Why Revan did that? Just to be clear, did what? Destory Telos? See above quote by Atris. :)

Ctrl Alt Del
04-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Atris: “It was always intended for the Jedi to retreat to Telos should Dantooine be attacked - taking all their lore with them. We could not allow the tragedy at Ossus to happen again.”
Kreia: “Such an act marked Telos for destruction. It is why the Sith came here, though the fleet commanders did not know why. It is why Revan ordered its destruction to mark the beginning of the Jedi Civil War. It was a message that there would be no place for the Jedi to retreat, to hide. I would not be surprised if Revan left other gifts beneath the surface of the planet - much can be buried beneath graveyards that will never be found.”
Is the Kreia line part of the cut content? I don't remember it on the game. Then, excuse me if I don't take it on such consideration because, what's undone is undone. :D

"Before the war, Jedi who failed their training were sent to the fields of Telos, to serve the galaxy... not as Jedi Knights, but as farmers and laborers."~ Kreia. This is also backed up in the EU, by the Jedi Apprentice books, IIRC.

Yes, I remember that. But still, that and Atris lines regarding the telosian Academy, makes me wonder if Malak knew about the (at least the exact location of) Academy and retreat place or bombarded the planet, hoping that he would hit his target.
Admitedly he does say that's his speculation, but knowing Revan (and how everyone uses the Exile), I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. And HK does act as Revan's mouthpiece in K2.

Not more than T3 does. Remember that HK didn't knew about the Navicomputer. That said, HK could be only, indeed, speculating, not telling a secret from Revan on a cryptic way.

And regarding the final two quotes, I just confused the topics, I beg you pardon and, please, don't take it in consideration. I guess I'm just too tired today... ;)

Melly
04-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Is the Kreia line part of the cut content? I don't remember it on the game. Then, excuse me if I don't take it on such consideration because, what's undone is undone. :D Yeah, it's cut content (unfortunately) so if you want to ignore it that's fine. :)

Yes, I remember that. But still, that and Atris lines regarding the telosian Academy, makes me wonder if Malak knew about the (at least the exact location of) Academy and retreat place or bombarded the planet, hoping that he would hit his target. If you disregard the quotes by Atris and Kreia that I posted before, it could be read that way. I still don't like it though. :p

Not more than T3 does. Remember that HK didn't knew about that (Man, did I forgot the name) "thing" that keeps track of the locations the ship have been to? That said, HK could be only, indeed, speculating, not telling a secret from Revan on a cryptic way. Navicomputer. :) I'm kinda divided on this theory myself. I think it was the Exile's choice to go back to the Council, but Revan could have stopped her and didn't. Perhaps this is all that HK is really getting at, that Revan let her go to prove a point and strike doubt into the Jedi. If that's the case then it certainly worked. Atris says when Handmaiden- or is it one of her sisters? I don't know they all look alike to me- askes: "Was she important to you, once?" and Atris replies: "We all have our heroes. And when we watch them fall, we die inside. She made a choice once... and I did not. The day we judged her, I stood in the chamber, and she was... she was so right. She was so certain of it, I doubted myself." And Atris wasn't the only one to feel that way, Zez-Kai Ell did, too.

And regarding the final two quotes, I just confused the topics, I beg you pardon and, please, don't take it in consideration. I guess I'm just too tired today... ;) S'kay. :)

Ctrl Alt Del
04-26-2008, 10:40 PM
If you disregard the quotes by Atris and Kreia that I posted before, it could be read that way. I still don't like it though. :p
Yeah, of course Kreia lines give it all away, but even if we accept Atris', it won't invalidate the theory that Malak did knew about the Hidden Academy, or at least a Jedi conclave, but not exactly where it was. To keep it on the safe side, he just bombed the hell out of the planet. Forgot the poles, though. :xp:

Navicomputer. :)
Ah, thank you very much. Man, I'm a wreck indeed. :nod:

I'm kinda divided on this theory myself. I think it was the Exile's choice to go back to the Council, but Revan could have stopped her and didn't. Perhaps this is all that HK is really getting at, that Revan let her go to prove a point and strike doubt into the Jedi. If that's the case then it certainly worked.
But Revan couldn't anticipate Exile's very survival, could he/she? The Exile cut him/herself from the Force willingly, it's clear that, when the Mass Shadow Generator was activated, Revan didn't expect anyone to survive; the ships and men that were part of the task-force to Malachor V was even composed of people as to which loyalty towards Revan was on doubt.

S'kay. :)
Thank you. :D

Non-false Jedi
05-02-2008, 02:23 AM
I dunno they were fine crew-members, but both had their own faults. Carth complained too much, and Atton almost appeared that he didn't seem to be interested in really much of ANYthing except Pazzack pretty much after Telos.

TKA-001
05-02-2008, 09:29 AM
That's more from a lack of dialogue options than a problem with the character itself.

encinodude
05-02-2008, 01:11 PM
I would've voted Atton. Both are great men in their own right, but Atton has a significant advantage on Carth for me in that most of his flaws are an act while Carth can get genuinely unbearably whiny. Whining and whining and whining about things nobody else reacts the same way to. Plus Atton captured/killed/tortured Jedi on a regular basis and taught the Exile his techniques.

I'm in the camp that TSL is the better game writing-wise, so there may be a bias there.

Carth's VA > Atton's, though. Atton just sounded horrible and unconvincing when he was revealing his past. Probably should've gotten a more capable actor or rerecorded his lines until he got them right.

Ctrl Alt Del
05-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Carth's VA > Atton's, though. Atton just sounded horrible and unconvincing when he was revealing his past. Probably should've gotten a more capable actor or rerecorded his lines until he got them right.
Though I agree that Raphael Sbarge did a much better work as Carth than Nicky Katt did as Atton, I don't think that the last one is particularly a bad voice actor.

And you've got to see Sbarge acting on Mass Effect. Wish he stayed with Carth only.

encinodude
05-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Nicky Katt voiced Atton Rand? I had no idea. It's either the fault of the voice director or a lack of time for retakes, then. The man is a consistently good actor onscreen.

CK51
05-02-2008, 03:49 PM
I liek both characters.

Carth had really really great voice acting, and I could emphasise with the characters.

Atton had bad voice acting, but his prsonality was all an act right? He was also really funny and I liked his character, and felt sorry for him being manipulated by Kreia.

TSL did have much better writing and rasied alot of philisophical points. If I was to write an essay on either of the games, I would choose TSL, despite the poitns of remdemption rasied in KOTOR.