PDA

View Full Version : The Way The World Dies

Taak Farst
02-03-2008, 08:10 AM
There are many theories on how the world ends or humanity dies. Scientists say there might be a meteor just like the one that killed the dinosaurs, some believe that the sun will expand and destroy the earth, but what do YOU think. I believe the world will end in thousands to billions of years but I can't think how. I think the top tw have a good chane with global warming, but noone knows. Just say what you think.

Sven_Q45
02-03-2008, 09:08 AM
some believe that the sun will expand and destroy the earth
I read many books and they say so. I think so, too.

Sabretooth
02-03-2008, 09:49 AM
We'll kill ourselves, I reckon - the Cold War was pretty close to that, and seeing how unpredictable the world is, I wouldn't be surprised at Thermonuclear destruction in the next 200 years.

Otherwise, I have no specific theories on Apocalypse.

Darth InSidious
02-03-2008, 10:48 AM
"Not with a bang, but a whimper."

Taak Farst
02-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I was thinking of putting that lol :) Thats Doctor Who

PoiuyWired
02-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Simply Put:

"DO NOT PANIC"

Darth InSidious
02-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I was thinking of putting that lol :) Thats Doctor Who
No, it's T.S. Eliot.

Pho3nix
02-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm hoping for aliens.

But a cold war scenario seems like the most likely option.

Taak Farst
02-03-2008, 12:44 PM
No, it's T.S. Eliot.
Ah but doctor who sed it too :D

I think aliens is highly not gonna happen but I also think it is possible, i dunno

Darth InSidious
02-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Ah but doctor who sed it too :D

The correct term would be 'quoted', since it had already been written, and it was a conscious reference.

Taak Farst
02-03-2008, 01:18 PM
true true, and speaking of quotes is your "immortal hand or eye" thing from *forgot forename* blake's poem, tiger tiger burning bright?

Ray Jones
02-03-2008, 01:37 PM
You know, just because humans go extinct, or earth is blown away by the sun exploding, it doesn't mean the world is over.

Sven_Q45
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
All dies sometime. The earth, humans, plants, animals, stars. And the universum, too?

Rev7
02-03-2008, 02:04 PM
You know, just because humans go extinct, or earth is blown away by the sun exploding, it doesn't mean the world is over.
How so?

Taak Farst
02-03-2008, 02:15 PM
You know, just because earth is blown away by the sun exploding, it doesn't mean the world is over.

umm #1 the earth would actually disintergr8, soz for bad spelling
#2 Everything has its time, the world WILL end eventually but u know, maybe some people can hope that life will find a way, im actually glad the world will end someday coz then the universe will finally have peace and we will finally have our doomsday deadline passed, if u get what i mean

igyman
02-03-2008, 03:30 PM
There's a bunch of theories as to how the world might end. The ones that, to me, seem the most probable at this point are "We'll destroy ourselves with all the wars", "Global Warming" and "the Sun going supernova in a couple of millions of years".

lord-nihilus
02-03-2008, 03:44 PM
better nihilus comes to earth and feeds on us

adamqd
02-03-2008, 04:53 PM
^^^
You've got Nihilus on the Brain... Lord-Nihilus ;)

I don't know about the World, but the common cold will destroy Humanity, we'll pump our bodies full of antibiotic's until we have no immune system's, and while we fade away in our germ-free Stasis pod's, the world will have time to heal from the damage we caused, and a new Intelligent species will emerge in our place... and so the cycle continues.

Taak Farst
02-03-2008, 05:06 PM
wow thats a theory worth thinking about...sad but possible. Oh and nihilus go and kill mars..

Stream
02-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Wow this is my kind of thread. I think that there's a few ways the world will end but as to which way it just depends on which one beats the others,

The Day After Tomorrow - Yes I mean like the film, maybe not as intense and I guess technically the world won't be destroyed as such but when a lot of people have to rely on a computer [sat nav] to get from a to b, how the heck will they survive with half of the planet under water or ice?

The Sun - Giver of light and heat, one day she will die meaning that earth will die with her - I bet it would be kinda cool to watch, mess your pants scary but still kinda cool.

Our So Called Leaders - War, really is there any need for it? If things don't change one day we will end up destroying each other. I mean it's not really a case of if, it's more like when.

Fire - by that I mean God, not that I want to go all religious on you or anything but there's got to be someone or something controlling our destiny. God always said after the flood that if he destroyed earth again it would be by fire.

The Borg - Just saying is all, they might be out there.

Anyway that's my thoughts on it, not sure which one will happen but I'm sure it will be one of them.

--Stream

Arcesious
02-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Okay... I've got lots to say about this...

First of all, post #1, the starter of this thread, I believe global 'warming' is real, but the whole world ain't gonna get flooded. Some of it, yes, and some crazy weather, but did you happen to notice how all these global warming radicals forgot to mention Antarctica's record breaking ice buildup rate after the record breaking north pole ice melting rate?

Okay, now on world being destroyed...

I believe that the world will be destroyed by fire, as my beliefs say. 'The heavens and the earth will pass away'/earth and heavens burned up by fire...

I think I 'know' how this will happen.

Theoretically basised on my beliefs:

Right before 2036: Rapture of all believers
2036- Apophis asteroid impacts in the pacific ocean.
The impact creates a chain reaction with the volcanic ring of fire/tectonic plates.
Somewhere in this time a new world union is formed, and peace is achieved.
Military power of all nations is cut down exponentially.

The two extremely major faultlines- San Andreas and the one the that created that one huge tsunami a while back will go off as the tectonic plates messed up by the asteroid impact. Volcanoes go crazy... Massive earthquake occurs accross the entire pacific tectonic plate...
Biblical water turns to blood thing- ever living thing with blood in the entire pacific ocean area is killed. Blood drifts everywhere in the world over time. Not much later, the pacific tectonic plate goes crazy again, California is ripped off of the United States, and the shockwaves trigger the yellowstone national park 'supervolcano'. U.S.A destroyed.
Soot kills a third of all humanity. This explains why the Bible doesn't mention the United States. World is in shambles. Islamic radicals/palestine/middle east countries (sp?) attack isreal to ditract Europe... Russia and asian coutnries rebuild up military power in secret and attack Europe at the same time in attempt to take over. Third world war starts. Jesus then comes back and wipes the floor with those attacking armies...
End of 2043: world is then destroyed by supernova. Universe is destroyed by all black holes reaching critical mass at the same time and exploding, the explosions also causing stars to explode, in a chain reaction. New heaven and new Earth are later formed from the explosion remodeling the universe.
Well I'll admit it was extremely far-feched and a lot of details left/lots of spelling errors out but that's what I think will happen...

mur'phon
02-04-2008, 03:09 AM
forgot to mention Antarctica's record breaking ice buildup rate after the record breaking north pole ice melting rate?

Interesting, could you provide a source?

Right before 2036: Rapture of all believers

I survived the one in 2000, I'm not too worried :xp:

Well I'll admit it was extremely far-feched

Good, that makes two of us.

On a side note, I can think of far worse ways for the world to end At least in your version, someone will survive.

lord-nihilus
02-04-2008, 03:39 AM
nihilus destroys earth or an stardestroyer comes and performes orbital bombardment!

LOL XD

Tommycat
02-04-2008, 03:46 AM
To all the global warming crowd, I'll start taking it seriously when the loudest voices start to make changes in their own lives. For instance when Al Gore starts using less energy than I do. When they quit using private jets that burn more fossil fuels on take off than I use in a year(well maybe not including my race cars, but that is about 30 gallons per week, and is limited based on whether the track is open...). It is hard to take someone serious about reducing MY energy usage when they don't reduce their usage. Its kinda like Jenna Jameson telling me not to do adult films.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cleaning up the air. I think you'll find a lot of the conservatives out there who would rather not have to worry about the fish they catch being inedible due to toxicity. I'm a big proponent of making sure nature is preserved. I just don't like how I'm told not to drive an SUV by a person riding as the sole passenger of a limousine or private jet because I'm using too much fuel(note: I recently got rid of my SUV because it just didn't make sense for my lifestyle).

Corinthian
02-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Global Warming, even if it's really as dangerous as people make it out to be, is unlikely to wipe out all life, even all human life. The human population would be forced to move to higher grounds as rising sea levels would submerge most of the continents.

My foresight tells me that the world will end in fire, not water. The only real question is whether it's going to be spears of nuclear fire raining from the skies, or just normal fire.

Ray Jones
02-04-2008, 08:45 AM
How so?
Take Earth away, take Human life away. Heck, take the whole Milky Way galaxy and flush it.

That makes approximately only 784.326.618.927.648.976 galaxies left, being "the world".

So, the world won't be "ended" before every single universe (in case there are more than one or if that's all about it anyway) of it is gone. And seriously, I really doubt this will be due to global warming, nuclear wars, pollution, an exploding sun or *anything* that has been presented in this thread. :dozey:

Corinthian
02-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Presumably, when he says World, he means this cool, blue-green ball under our feet, not the universe or multiverse.

Darth InSidious
02-04-2008, 08:52 AM
true true, and speaking of quotes is your "immortal hand or eye" thing from *forgot forename* blake's poem, tiger tiger burning bright?
Yes.

Jason Skywalker
02-04-2008, 09:35 AM
We're all going to ressurrect in thousands of years from now anyway so, what's the rush. [/sarcasm]

Yeah, probably nuclear war, global warming or the Sun exploding. But by the time the Sun explodes, Humanity has probably advanced to outer space.

Ray Jones
02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Presumably, when he says World, he means this cool, blue-green ball under our feet, not the universe or multiverse.
I reckoned that, but, you know, I felt like being all wise-ass-ish.

tk102
02-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Later this year, a Large Hadron Collider mishap turns the earth to a quark star.

*tiny possibility* (link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider#Safety_concerns))

Corinthian
02-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Sort of like the possibility that, suddenly, you might be somewhere else in the universe? Well, fire up the Infinite Improbability Drive.

Sven_Q45
02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
[joke mode]
We destroy the earth.
The earth has a mass of 5,994.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000. 000.000 Kg.
And if we eat more and more... :D
[/joke mode]

Taak Farst
02-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Good theories guys. and omg i seem to get luckier and luckier :) Firs i get the man himself darkkender post in one of my threads, and now tk102 does on his birthday omg. Happy Birhday tk

Sven_Q45
02-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Birthday? Oh happy b-day.

Sabretooth
02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Good theories guys. and omg i seem to get luckier and luckier :) Firs i get the man himself darkkender post in one of my threads, and now tk102 does on his birthday omg. Happy Birhday tk
Yeah well, he's a pretty normal person and it's normal for us to post looking at the thread's topic and not the thread starter's post count. :xp:

What, his birthday?Ah, I see there is a thread in the Spaceport already (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=185961). All your birthday wishes go there, folks - keep this thread on world destruction mode.

darkkender is a famous guy or something? :confused:

Totenkopf
02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
To all the global warming crowd, I'll start taking it seriously when the loudest voices start to make changes in their own lives. For instance when Al Gore starts using less energy than I do. When they quit using private jets that burn more fossil fuels on take off than I use in a year(well maybe not including my race cars, but that is about 30 gallons per week, and is limited based on whether the track is open...). It is hard to take someone serious about reducing MY energy usage when they don't reduce their usage. Its kinda like Jenna Jameson telling me not to do adult films.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cleaning up the air. I think you'll find a lot of the conservatives out there who would rather not have to worry about the fish they catch being inedible due to toxicity. I'm a big proponent of making sure nature is preserved. I just don't like how I'm told not to drive an SUV by a person riding as the sole passenger of a limousine or private jet because I'm using too much fuel(note: I recently got rid of my SUV because it just didn't make sense for my lifestyle).

AMEN! 'nuff said. :thumbsup:

Btw, though, "global warming" is unlikely to destroy the human race, just take a bite out of it's sheer size.

Ray Jones
02-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Global warming is likely to destroy human life on earth, at least that global warming which will take place in a couple of billion years when the sun will be so big that it will swallow mercury and take on Earth's whole horizon.

RedHawke
02-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Simply Put:

"DO NOT PANIC"

PW gets a point for a properly executed Hitchikers Guide refrence in an end of the world thread...

Darth InSidious
02-05-2008, 04:36 AM
PW gets a point for a properly executed Hitchikers Guide refrence in an end of the world thread...
zomg it r 'don't panic', n00bz.

( :xp: )

JediMaster12
02-05-2008, 02:42 PM
You kidding me people?
The world is going to end December 12, 2013. There will be a huge massive earthquake that will swallow the earth whole and then will leave the world in silence.

Hey that's what them Mesoamericans believe. Or you could believe the CHristian version in which there will be peace in the Middle East and then Israel will be attacked from the east by Russia, Persia and Ethiopia. Then THe Repture and then Tribulation.

Heck I've heard that the aliens were coming to get us. All goes to what you are willing to believe.

PoiuyWired
02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
The matrix goes BSOD.

Ray Jones
02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Nah, it runs on on a bunch of Playstations connected over the internet.

JediMaster12
02-05-2008, 05:52 PM
If that were the case then we would have electrical meltdown. Seriously though I think it is a matter of perspective. There are those who believe the sun will go nova on us, others think that an asteroid will hit the earth. It's a matter of what your personal belief system is and what the evidence siggests to you.

Arcesious
02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
and some people, like me, belive tht pretty much everything will happn. if anyone knows how to destroy tuff betr than humans, it's God, but as a believer i'm not scared. black holes, supernovas, asteroids, earthquakes...

You kidding me people?
The world is going to end December 12, 2013. There will be a huge massive earthquake that will swallow the earth whole and then will leave the world in silence.

Hey that's what them Mesoamericans believe.

I thought they thought the earth was goign to go into an all life-killign ice age in 2012... ::

Weiser_Cain
02-05-2008, 08:32 PM
The sun will expand but if we're still around in some form we can just move the earth. Keeping it around until the universe goes dark.

hellhawk
02-11-2008, 08:19 PM
as if my opinion is ever read, while im fairly sure it woult be seeing the size of this monster thread... i think the sun go boom in 3975 (like astrodomis said) and kill us all.

mimartin
02-11-2008, 08:24 PM
as if my opinion is ever read, while im fairly sure it woult be seeing the size of this monster thread... i think the sun go boom in 3975 (like astrodomis said) and kill us all.
It will not kill me, and no it will not be my flame retardant underware that saves me. I plan to be long dead by 3975. So good luck with all that.

Da_Man_2423
02-14-2008, 09:39 PM

The Sun's only halfway through it's life cycle. It won't "go boom" in 3975.

Corinthian
02-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Astrodomis? Is that like Nostradamus, but in Space?

The most likely reason for the Earth's destruction is imminent domain. We're sitting slap in the middle of where they're planning on putting in a new hyperspace route.

Rev7
02-14-2008, 10:22 PM
^^^^^
Unfortunately. How do you think that the moon has all of those 'impact craters'? :p

Arcesious
02-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Don't forget this possibility:

If the Apophis asteroid does coem very close to earth but doesn't hit it in 2036, it could still hit the moon. And if it hits the moon just right, we could have a meteor shower comign off the moon at the earth as a meteor shower of giant moonrocks. That, and if it hits the moon at a high enough velocity and just the right angle, it could knock the moon off of it's stable orbit, and make the moon crash into earth...

Rev7
02-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Who are we trying to predict the future? No one knows exactly how the world is going to end. So all that we can do is live our lives to the very fullest.

Arcesious
02-15-2008, 12:51 AM
All i know is that i believe I'll go to heaven when I die. No matter how unfounded that is, I liek being able to not be afraid of death like most everyone else in this world. I just don't want a painful death is all. I have a very low threshhold for pain. I'm prayign for rapture of dying in my sleep. Basically i agree with Rev7.
(Athiests please don't yell at me because i believe that)

Rev7
02-15-2008, 01:00 AM
You are entitled to your opinions Arc, as everyone else here and in the world is. :)

1jrJedismom
02-15-2008, 02:26 AM
I think it will be much our own doing. We are destroying nature left and right. Everything from animal species to plant. The time will come when the earth will not be able to support any life form. We are Poluting water sources, clearing rain forests. China is one example. They do not produce enough food to feed their population. I imagine we will reach a population level where we no longer have the land resourses to feed ours either. The plants and animals will be gone with no way of reestablishing them.

Ray Jones
02-15-2008, 04:38 AM
That will not happen as it opposes the self regulating nature of life. Life cannot destroy itself. ::

Arcesious
02-15-2008, 09:09 AM
What law? We humans are on top of the food chain. We could destroy every form of life on the entire planet if we wanted to. Maybe we're illegally disbeying that law of nature now. How hard is it to fathom that? Life, in the human kind, can destroy itself and other life. We are the equation in the law of nature that messes everything up.

Ray Jones
02-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Including bacterias and microorganism? I doubt that. And I wasn't talking about human species life. I was talking about life.

JediMaster12
02-15-2008, 12:27 PM
That will not happen as it opposes the self regulating nature of life. Life cannot destroy itself.
We can destroy ourselves and we are living beings. Classic example is nuclear warfare. We end up killing ourselves either from the blast or poisoning. Of course there is that saying that life finds a way.

I thought they thought the earth was goign to go into an all life-killign ice age in 2012... Thinking The Day After are you? That was actually from Aztecan lore. It is what they predicted would happen at the end of the Fifth Age Ollintonatiuh, the age we are in now. Funny enough it is very similar to events predicted in the Bible in the Book of Revelation which mentions a severe earthquake and a period of silence from heaven.

Ray Jones
02-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Of course there is that saying that life finds a way.That is what I talk about. Life has not made it over the past million years and that against all odds because there is a switch somewhere labeled "naaaah". That, of course, doesn't mean it's impossible for chosen lifeforms to head down the "wrong" route resulting in extinction of their own and other species. However that doesn't happen for destruction, like it may seem, but for expansion and spreading.

Q
02-15-2008, 07:59 PM
If humanity doesn't destroy the earth first, then its end will come when the sun becomes a red giant.

1jrJedismom
02-16-2008, 09:07 PM
I was just reading an article in National Geographic (Feb 08 issue) talking about the recient drought and the decline of our water supply. It seems that throughout history, there have been what they call mega droughts. What we call normal weather is infact a wet period. The Anasazi abandond their pueblo during a drought period in the 13th century. We seem to be at the start of one of these mega drought periods. Already it has been shown that Lake Powel is at 50% capacity and droping. We are headed into a dust bowl period. Is a tragedy, but the gient Sequoias (2000 yr old) may not survive.

Bee Hoon
02-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Everyone on the Equator shall cook and everyone away from it shall freeze.

Wear your sunscreen, 'tis good for health.

Sabretooth
02-17-2008, 12:09 PM
This... is a very disheartening thread.

Rev7
02-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Wear your sunscreen, 'tis good for health.
I think you mean grab your coats! :p
This... is a very disheartening thread.
Well of course it is, after all it is named The Way The World Dies.

1jrJedismom
02-18-2008, 04:10 PM
But, somehow the cockroaches survive

Web Rider
02-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I was just reading an article in National Geographic (Feb 08 issue) talking about the recient drought and the decline of our water supply. It seems that throughout history, there have been what they call mega droughts. What we call normal weather is infact a wet period. The Anasazi abandond their pueblo during a drought period in the 13th century. We seem to be at the start of one of these mega drought periods. Already it has been shown that Lake Powel is at 50% capacity and droping. We are headed into a dust bowl period. Is a tragedy, but the gient Sequoias (2000 yr old) may not survive.

If the "dry period" happened 700 someodd years ago, and the Giant Sequoias are 2000 years old, then logically they went through the previous dry period at a time when they were at least half their age. Which meant they were more susceptible to drought, if one can even claim a thousand year old tree is susceptible to drought. Therefore, I think it stands to reason that they'll survive a second one.

Fortunately for us, we know how to convert sea water into fresh water, maybe a "mega drought" will simply kick us into gear about doing it, it would be doubleplus good.

1jrJedismom
02-18-2008, 05:06 PM
The scientist in the article bring up the addition of glabal warming and bark beatles. They are already seeing a change in "landscape" in the southwest. The Pinion and Juniper alongh with other drought resistant plants are dieing off. The Beatles are eating the Ponderosa,Lodgepole pine and Douglas fir too. Since these Beatles attack trees weakend by drought, I wonder?

HerbieZ
02-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Personally i believe the end of the world will be caused by micro black holes accumulating inside the earth to the point of consuming the entire planet.

:)

Rev7
02-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Good theory you have going there HerbieZ. Very "outside-the-box" type of thinking.

Arcesious
02-19-2008, 12:18 AM
A black hole can't form inside Earth. It's not massive and dense enough. For example: Jupiter essentially could becoem a star if it was massive enough. If a whole ton of matter and energy is is great enough quantity, it can become a black hole. Earth is very tiny. Micro black-holes are no more different in the way they form than normal black holes, they're just more dense and small. If a micro-black hole was inside earth right now, we'd die instantly.

However, we could still get killed by a black hole nearby or a collapsing black hole... However, if there was a collapsing black hole nearby, we'd be able to see it by checkign for gamma rays, and there isn't one liek that naywhere nearby, because it would be huge. Really huge. We're talking so huge most of the universe would probably go boom. It would have to be a lot of solar masses in size before it would implode on it's own gravity.

Wiki on black holes. Very interesting, while at the same time, terrfying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

I liked the ingenuity of the idea though.

( I wonder what woudl happen if a black hole ran into another black hole...

JediMaster12
02-19-2008, 12:17 PM
That is what I talk about. Life has not made it over the past million years and that against all odds because there is a switch somewhere labeled "naaaah". That, of course, doesn't mean it's impossible for chosen lifeforms to head down the "wrong" route resulting in extinction of their own and other species. However that doesn't happen for destruction, like it may seem, but for expansion and spreading.
Well in basic evolution, it's survival of the fittest. Often the strongest is a single celled organism. Look at bacteria, single celled and has been around for millennia. Wouldn't suprise me if we killed ourselves off and there it is. Circle of Life anyone?

Taak Farst
02-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Well in basic evolution, it's survival of the fittest. Often the strongest is a single celled organism. Look at bacteria, single celled and has been around for millennia. Wouldn't suprise me if we killed ourselves off and there it is. Circle of Life anyone?

Agreed, it sounds a lot more likely.

Can I request this thread be closed? there is a bit of on argument breaking loose--

Corinthian
02-19-2008, 01:57 PM
There was a terrible ghastly silence.
There was a terrible ghastly noise.
There was a terrible ghastly silence.

Arcesious
02-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Okay, new idea: the end of the entire universe will occur when two black holes that are at critical mass collide with each other and obliterate everything.

Rev7
02-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by jedi dude
Well first of all JM12, is not a dude. ;)
However, we could still get killed by a black hole nearby or a collapsing black hole... However, if there was a collapsing black hole nearby, we'd be able to see it by checkign for gamma rays, and there isn't one liek that naywhere nearby, because it would be huge. Really huge. We're talking so huge most of the universe would probably go boom. It would have to be a lot of solar masses in size before it would implode on it's own gravity.
GMBs are bad. Especially if they are close. BAD.
( I wonder what woudl happen if a black hole ran into another black hole...
I think that I can answer this question because I have watched about nearly (if not nearly) every show on the History Channel about GMBs and Black Holes. I could very well be wrong though. I think that they form a Supermassive black hole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermassive_black_hole) (It doesn't say on this page though) As you said, very interesting and scary stuff.

Arcesious
02-19-2008, 11:55 PM
So if two black holes a critical mass collided, they would emmit gravitational waves and disrupt and fluctuate time and space in the entire effected are, according to wiki. That would really suck if that happened...

Ray Jones
02-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Can I request this thread be closed? there is a bit of on argument breaking loose--:confused:

Well in basic evolution, it's survival of the fittest. Often the strongest is a single celled organism. Look at bacteria, single celled and has been around for millennia.Not stronger, but faster and more flexible regarding adaptivity than higher lifeforms usually are. They also live at whatever places which are pretty safe when it comes to the commonly known global killer catastrophes.

Wouldn't suprise me if we killed ourselves off and there it is. Circle of Life anyone?Well that's basically what I said, isn't it?

Okay, new idea: the end of the entire universe will occur when two black holes that are at critical mass collide with each other and obliterate everything. What's a black hole at critical mass? And if two black holes collide, they basically just form a "bigger" black hole. Big galaxies are supposed to have the largest black holes "known" within their centers, and the collision of galaxies is a pretty sure thing to happen in out there. Eventually their black holes collide, causing something best described as "**** hitting the fan", but obviously the universe is still here.

So if two black holes a critical mass collided, they would emmit gravitational waves and disrupt and fluctuate time and space in the entire effected are, according to wiki.When two or more black holes are going to collide they would orbit around each other for some time before they finally merge, that would produce more intense gravitational waves than the actual merge itself. However, they had to be *really* close to us anyway (by astronomical standards) because gravitational waves become weaker with increasing distance to the source.

That would really suck if that happened...I think with two black holes floating around it would really be of *zero* importance whether they'd collide eventually or not.

Two super massive black holes are about to collide after their galaxies started merging millions of years ago (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/merging_backhole_021119.html).

More about black hole mergers (wwwsfb.tpi.uni-jena.de/Events/Garching07/Talk_Bruegmann_Garch07.pdf).

Darth InSidious
02-20-2008, 08:29 AM
^Nevertheless, there's no denying that it would really suck. :D :xp:

Totenkopf
02-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Astrodomis? Is that like Nostradamus, but in Space?

That was pretty funny. Also, if every thread were shut down at the sign of an argument, Taak, these threads would be much shorter or there'd be far fewer of them. Disagreement and argument are fine, it's only when things get too hot and personal that it's time to step back and redact posts or close a thread. Don't see that here. Chances are, none of us will be here when the earth ends. One could easily speculate that it ends when your life ends (ie that it's an illusion).

Ray Jones
02-20-2008, 09:12 AM
^Nevertheless, there's no denying that it would really suck. :D :xp:I know that, but you know, there is no place for sexual preferences in here. XD

Darth InSidious
02-20-2008, 09:13 AM
I know that, but you know, there is no place for sexual preferences in here. XD
Your implication, not mine. :p

Ray Jones
02-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I mean, just imagine...maybe it's even superior to Plan E! ^^;

Also, if every thread were shut down at the sign of an argument, Taak, these threads would be much shorter or there'd be far fewer of them. Disagreement and argument are fine, it's only when things get too hot and personal that it's time to step back and redact posts or close a thread.I think he's just eagerly reaching for the moderator's badge. :p

Arcesious
02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Two black holes at critical mass... Critical mass in the sense that i'm implyign means the black holes are as big and as dense as they can get before impoding completely in on themselves with a violent explosion shattering everything within trillions and gazillions of lightyears... (or astronomical units, whichever you prefer to measure the galaxy by) Two black holes at critical mass shouldn't merge because they're both as big and dense as they can possible get, and are on the verge of imposion to explosion. If two ciritcal mass black holes hit each other, that would be reallly, really bad. They universe we know and love would be gone, but the explosion would eventually create new universes afterwards, from all that energy from the two critical mass black holes colliding...

Ray Jones
02-20-2008, 05:47 PM
As of now I know no such concept of black holes gaining a critical mass. Black holes can't get any denser, mainly because there already is a singularity in their centre.

PoiuyWired
02-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Strang matters... If that exist you can have a world eaten out in no time. But yeah its all a theory.