PDA

View Full Version : GTA4 - Best Game Ever Made or Best Game Made Ever?

TiE23
04-29-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm sorry I have almost nothing to show at the moment for early readers, but I'm off to go pick up my copy at midnight and I'd just like to say that at the rate things are going, GTA4 may very well be the highest rated videogame to ever be released, passing even Ocarina of Time, SM Galaxy, Metroid, The Orange Box, and Soul Calibur.

10/10 everywhere, the lowest score being 95% out of dozens of other 100%'s.

Ratings: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933037.asp?q=gta4
Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV
Reception: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV#Reception

I hope to see some of you on XBL tomorrow with this game, my name is Zerstorer23 as a reminder, I'll see you then.

Achilles
04-29-2008, 02:46 AM
*jealous*

My xbox won't be here until Thursday :(

IG-64
04-29-2008, 02:48 AM
Been watching this develop. Seriously, wtf? Almost makes me want to get a 360 or ps3 just to see what's so great about it.

Almost.

leXX
04-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Yep, all the reviews I've seen so far have been 10/10. Mine should be arriving in the post today, fingers crossed.

Det. Bart Lasiter
04-29-2008, 03:25 AM
I'll wait until it comes to PC.

Mercenary
04-29-2008, 03:55 AM
I hope they release it for the PC. I played San Andreas all the way through even though the game crashed on me every 15 minutes.

tyrone333
04-29-2008, 04:05 AM
It's the best game ever just got mine in the afternoon so it wasen't full at my Eb games.

MrWally
04-29-2008, 07:11 AM
I heard GTA4 being called the greatest game and story since Ocarina of Time.

I think just putting those two in the same sentence is mind-boggling.

Lightsaberboy
04-29-2008, 07:56 AM
i haven't really been following what's going on with this game. what makes it better and different from San Andreas other than bigger location and better graphics? i know san andreas brought a lot of customizing things like weight and haircut and stuff. how does this game expand on the whole thing?

Acrylic
04-29-2008, 08:37 AM
i haven't really been following what's going on with this game. what makes it better and different from San Andreas other than bigger location and better graphics? i know san andreas brought a lot of customizing things like weight and haircut and stuff. how does this game expand on the whole thing?

Actually the location is smaller. I guess in San Andreas, there's a lot more area, but I guess in GTA IV, theres more life to the environment.

Also, I think there's no such thing as weight and haircuts in the game, from what I read. Those things were more tedious than fun, so they decided to cut it out.

I think I'm going to get this when I get a PS3 one day. The load times and graphics matter more than multiplayer, considering I don't have the money for live.

Sivy
04-29-2008, 08:42 AM
there is no customizing with GTA4... which is probably the only negative thing i've heard about it. instead they've concentrated on making a real cinematic storyline and making liberty city feel like a real living and breathing city.

Lightsaberboy
04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
moreso than it was before?

swphreak
04-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Just popping the disc into the 360 as we speak. I have finals today as well. School blows.

I want to see some LFers on Live and playing GTAIV!

Ug, my only gripe at the moment is the inability to invert the Y-axis for the camera movement (unless I'm blind and not seeing the option).

Nevermind, I'm blind.

coupes.
04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
I have my copy in my hands right now... I this afternoon at work will be a pain.

My gamertag is StereoVinny. I don't think I'll play online tonight but you can still add me. (I also play some COD4 and NHL08 on Live)

ET Warrior
04-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Ug, my only gripe at the moment is the inability to invert the Y-axis for the camera movement (unless I'm blind and not seeing the option).

Nevermind, I'm blind.
This post gains hilarity when examined in combination with your current title...

Pho3nix
04-29-2008, 01:59 PM
PS3's price tag really grinds my gears at the moment.

I almost wept this morning when I realized that I won't be able to play GTA IV for a long time.

RoxStar
04-29-2008, 02:41 PM
I have no doubts that it is an excellent product, I just want to communicate my hatred of video game reviews on a point system.

jon_hill987
04-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I fail to see what the attraction of the entire GTA franchise is. I got so bored playing GTA3 I gave up on the second island, what plot there was was just a poor attempt to string together some repetitive driving/shooting missions. I just don't believe this one will be any better (except the graphics).

MrWally
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
That's the very reason why everyone seems to love GTA4. Everything I've heard says that the storyline draws you in like no other.

For example, I played quite a bit of San Andreas, but when it comes to the actual storyline I barely got into the second area because the most enjoyable part was just screwing around. Seriously, who played any of the GTA3 games for the story?

GTA4 is said to have truly realistic characters and have one of the most fluid and like-like environments in ANY game.

That, and it uses the Euphoria physics engine :D

Monkey Mania
04-29-2008, 05:59 PM
I can't wait until euphoria replaces character animation altogether. The character would finally be able to step on top of that 3 polygon rock without clipping.

Kjølen
04-29-2008, 06:36 PM
GTA is the best video game series ever invented...

http://mynameisearlkress.com/weblog/triumph01.jpg

... for me to poop on.

TiE23
04-29-2008, 07:49 PM
there is no customizing with GTA4... which is probably the only negative thing i've heard about it. instead they've concentrated on making a real cinematic storyline and making liberty city feel like a real living and breathing city.
You can buy clothes, but yeah, that's pretty much where it ends. I don't think there are custom cars, or even hair cuts. Body building in San Andreas was bull, you'd always have zero-fat and 100 muscle after a few days at the and I didn't matter crap.

Anyway, Niko is cool. And the physics are awesome. It's all awesome.

My sister was watching me play today and she pointed out on the first date with Mitchelle... she must be a cop. New house? Always asking questions about crime? Just moved in? New furniture? Yeah.

It's my sister's birthday, she's 15 and she's the only one to have finished San Andreas, so shes somewhat excited for it.

Acrylic
04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Word on the street is that Niko is Serbian. He speaking any in the game?

TiE23
04-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Word on the street is that Niko is Serbian. He speaking any in the game?
Wow, you haven't seen a single trailer, huh? Yeah, he's the main character and talks all the time.

Acrylic
04-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Wow, you haven't seen a single trailer, huh? Yeah, he's the main character and talks all the time.

No, I usually like to stay away from trailers.

And I understand that he talks, but I'm wondering if he speaks Serbian in the game.

Darth Groovy
04-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Obviously I been pretty busy in Video game land with GTA4 and the token Midnight releases/major launches that follow. Sadly I only got to fart around with it for about an hour last night before I collapsed from absolute exhaustion due to GTA4 following another major launch for us...aka Mario Kart. What I do like about it so far though is the damn humor of it all. I spent about 20 mins or so just watching "Weezle Channel" in Niko's cousin's apt. and just cracking up at the crap on there. I still have to get used to the controls, but I never got into GTA before this year. I picked up the GTA trilogy on XBOX used, back in like Jan, but I didn't really mess with it much. Seriously though, whoever comes up with the humor in this game, should really be writing sitcoms or something...

Acrylic
04-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Also, any word on when the White PS3 will be hitting US shores? I'd much rather prefer a white PS3 to go with my white 260, and white Wii, but I'll settle for a black PS3 if there won't be a white one anytime soon.

(I like to have the same colors for things. My last gen Xbox, gamecube, and PS2 were all black, so I thought it would be kinda cool again..)

Black Knight of Keno
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Seriously though, whoever comes up with the humor in this game, should really be writing sitcoms or something...
That would probably be Lazlow as the most prominent one. I believe he's been scripting the minor characters and most radio stations since GTA III, so why not the rest of the humorous stuff? His sense of humor is so great, though. I love it. By the way, is he featured anywhere in the game?

I'll be waiting for either the time when GTA IV comes out on PC(Will warez buy it the moment I get the chance) or my brother gets PS3 and GTA IV, which will probably happen when hell freezes over. After watching the trailers for it, I am seriously hyped up. If I find out any of my friends has it, I'm bludgeoning him to death with a rusty pipe before stealing his hardware and the game. I want it for myself. My precciouusssss...

What? I'll do it. I swear! As soon as Jack Thompson's all-seeing eye turns to look the other way...

leXX
04-30-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm seriously pissed off. Haven't received it yet. Tried to call Game but keep having to hold forever and still haven't spoken to anyone yet. Apparently they are experiencing high volumes of calls, so I'm not the only one. Knew I shoulda gone with Play, they have never let me down. I only went with Game for the free points.

*sulks*

swphreak
04-30-2008, 10:43 PM
I've had some interesting moments while playing.

An AI driver crashed into a wall (wasn't my fault), and when I walked up, the driver and passenger were out cold and hunched over the wheel/dash. Then when I jacked the van, the driver was unconscious on the pavement, and the passenger still out cold.

Guess that's Euphoria? Can't wait to see developers use it more.

she must be a cop. New house? Always asking questions about crime? Just moved in? New furniture? Yeah.
Spoiler depending on how much you've dated Michelle:
She just asked where to find coke for her "cousin's bachelor party." She's toally a cop. Good catch. Totally wouldn't have thought anything of her weird behavior til the coke question.

Kain
04-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Overrated.

Atleast, in my opinion.

Monkey Mania
05-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Did you play it? I mean, spent a good 3 hours on it? But I agree, no game deserves a 10.

MrWally
05-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Why not?

You don't believe that a game, in all practical respects, can be "perfect"?

The only negative aspect I've heard about it so far is very minor bug issues, but I also heard they were nothing that distracted from the play of the game.

swphreak
05-01-2008, 07:29 AM
The only negative aspect I've heard about it so far is very minor bug issues, but I also heard they were nothing that distracted from the play of the game.

I haven't encountered any glitches or bugs. Texture pop in the only problem I've found with the game, and it's easily ignored. I think GTAIV is the best game that ever ran on my 360. No crashes, bugs, or glitches.

Republican Space Rangers!

Commander Obi-Wan
05-01-2008, 03:37 PM
I've completed the first mission. That's about it. :p I owe that to work and school lol.

TiE23
05-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Lol, I just heard a radio show talking about a "conservative liberal" talking about the internet as a series of tubes :D He said "...and a predator could stick his private parts into the other end of those tubes and right into your child's bedroom."

This game is awesome, SP and MP are awesome on so many levels. It's fun taking friends out to the bar or strip club and stuff. And I find it hilarious that Little Jacob is hotboxing in my stolen sedan, throwing beer cans out the window every couple of minutes.

JoeDoe 2.0
05-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I'll buy it later, so how does it feel compared to the other GTA titles?

TiE23
05-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Best yet.

Monkey Mania
05-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Why not?

You don't believe that a game, in all practical respects, can be "perfect"?

Yeah, it can be perfect. But will a game ever be perfect? No.

TiE23
05-02-2008, 03:38 AM
Yeah, it can be perfect. But will a game ever be perfect? No.
Yeah, a perfect game will have a 100% average. This only has a 99%.

Ctrl Alt Del
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Rented it. Played it. Probably buying it later.
Best GTA 'till today? A definite.
Fun and hilarious? Just as always.
Deserving of that annoying hype. Nope.

I heard GTA4 being called the greatest game and story since Ocarina of Time.

I think just putting those two in the same sentence is mind-boggling.
Come on now. Just sharp dialogs don't make a good story. Nowhere near as in OoT.

leXX
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Well I still haven't played it yet so I'll reserve judgement, but does it have the awesome storyline and gameplay of Mass Effect? I doubt it very much, and that game was nowhere near as hyped and only got a couple 10's. I think the GTA series gets far too much praise for its free roaming environment. This is what people mainly praise it for.

TiE23
05-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Rented it. Played it. Probably buying it later.
Best GTA 'till today? A definite.
Fun and hilarious? Just as always.
Deserving of that annoying hype. Nope.
Did you try multiplayer with some friends? Explore the town? Create havoc? Go to the bar with your friends? Hmm? Well, there was always people who didn't like GTA, so I guess this wouldn't change anything.

Come on now. Just sharp dialogs don't make a good story. Nowhere near as in OoT.
Yeah... I don't remember OoT having that great of a story. And it didn't even have dialog.

MrWally
05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Just pointing out that what I said about the story wasn't my personal opinion, just something I read in a long IGN article reviewing the game.

They seemed to love it.

swphreak
05-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Who's up for a Grand Theft Auto (360) hoedown this weekend? My semester is over, and I'm celebrating with a GTA marathon.

I'm game for Team/Deathmatch, maybe some racing, mafiya work, that crooks and cops gametype, and those co-op missions.

Ctrl Alt Del
05-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Well I still haven't played it yet so I'll reserve judgement, but does it have the awesome storyline and gameplay of Mass Effect? I doubt it very much, and that game was nowhere near as hyped and only got a couple 10's. I think the GTA series gets far too much praise for its free roaming environment. This is what people mainly praise it for.
I disagree. GTA was hyped as only Halo 3 was. Mass Effect (over)hype was big as well, but it didn't go much farther than the RPG public.

Did you try multiplayer with some friends? Explore the town? Create havoc? Go to the bar with your friends? Hmm? Well, there was always people who didn't like GTA, so I guess this wouldn't change anything.
Nah, I've done all of that except for the multiplayer. And I like GTA series, just thought it was a bit (too much) over-hyped.

Yeah... I don't remember OoT having that great of a story. And it didn't even have dialog.
I don't agree it's the best story ever, but certainly better than GTA as far as I've seen. And, as I said, dialogs don't make an story. :xp:

TiE23
05-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Republican Space Rangers!
LOL, I watched that show, really freaking funny! : D
"Make sure you get the children! They'll just turn into insurgents themselves!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa2Iy34aUhc)

Who's up for a Grand Theft Auto (360) hoedown this weekend? My semester is over, and I'm celebrating with a GTA marathon.

I'm game for Team/Deathmatch, maybe some racing, mafiya work, that crooks and cops gametype, and those co-op missions.
Yes'm please. I've got two whole days to waste my life with this game.

I don't agree it's the best story ever, but certainly better than GTA as far as I've seen. And, as I said, dialogs don't make an story. :xp:You kill Ganon and rescue the princess, great story. And as far as I know, the only people who know the entire story of GTA4 are the people who have played it to the end. So really, stop talking about stuff you don't have a PHD in.

Yes, they offer a doctorate in Grand Theft Auto studies at UC Berkley. >_>

Ctrl Alt Del
05-03-2008, 10:49 AM
And as far as I know, the only people who know the entire story of GTA4 are the people who have played it to the end. So really, stop talking about stuff you don't have a PHD in.

You're right. I hate when people do that myself. So, tell me, storywise, is it any better than on SA, for example? (That's because GTA 3 and VC didn't had any story)

Pho3nix
05-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I made a decision, instead of buying a laptop I will be purchasing PS3 + GTA IV after about a month.

I hope I'm doing the right thing...

Kain
05-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Did you play it? I mean, spent a good 3 hours on it? But I agree, no game deserves a 10.

To be fair, no I haven't played it. But I've watched my friends play it. And not just random violence; they were doing the missions and what not. I fell asleep. To me, its just a prettied up version of the same game that I've played since GTA3.

TiE23
05-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Well, after around 15 hours of single player gaming and probably 4 to 8 hours of multiplayer gaming, I can say that this is easily one of the best games that I've ever played, if not the best. I mean, I just had a mission with Playboy X and I had a firefight that was more exciting than firefights in Gears of War or GRAW. Story elements are awesome, graphics, technical and artistic, are awesome, characters are awesome, multiplayer is awesome, voice acting is awesome, plot twists are awesome (who knew that the main antagonist of the game was actually a pretty reasonable sounding guy for the first few hours).

And for a gauge, even with games like Rock Band and Skate and Assassin's Creed at my side, this game hasn't left my 360 since midnight April 29th, and it may stay that way for the next couple days. My brother and sister both love it, too. So it's great being able to tell each other about our experiences in the game.

If you had any interest in GTA or Saints Row, even if you eventually got frustrated by the missions and bored before finishing it, this will still catch you. I know it did for me.

Also, vigilante missions are actually fun this time around, just ask my brother how his time went...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/FILE0005.jpg
:P

Pho3nix
05-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Woo, cars get blood stains now?

Awesome. Just three weeks until I buy my PS3+GTA IV.

Acrylic
05-06-2008, 10:12 AM
MUST.BUY.MGS4BUNDLEANDPS3ONETHESAMEDAY

EDIT: ANDGTAATTHESAMETIME!!!!

EDIT AGAIN:
SPACESSUCK!

Ctrl Alt Del
05-06-2008, 05:03 PM
MUST.BUY.MGS4BUNDLEANDPS3ONETHESAMEDAY

QFT. Though, why would you want two PS3s? (Bundle+another PS3)

Acrylic
05-06-2008, 06:40 PM
QFT. Though, why would you want two PS3s? (Bundle+another PS3)

I must admit...I wasn't thinking. I meant the first time to write "MUST.BUY.MGS4BUNDLEANDGTA4ONTHESAMEDAY" at first, but I was too fried from excitement. Hah

Kain
05-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Heh, the game is good for a few cheap giggles, as they all are. The Russian accents get old...quick. Although hitting people with ketchup bottles never seems to.

Commander Obi-Wan
05-07-2008, 12:16 AM
The game is legit. I haven't had this much fun since I first played Mass Effect or Gears of War. Yeah, it's sick. But this game is like nearly perfect in like every category you can think of. Although, I wish it was in 1080 pi for the 360.

Kain
05-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Oh, I almost forgot to mention. If those camera controls while driving sucked any harder, my TV would have collapsed on itself. I mean, I get the idea - free aim. But they fail in pulling it off. The camera should stay behind the vehicle until you're aiming. Otherwise it makes missions where you have to follow someone ever MORE annoying than in previous GTAs.

ANYWAYS, I still have to try multiplayer. I wonder if its any less impressive than the game was hyped up to be?

TiE23
05-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Heh, the game is good for a few cheap giggles, as they all are. The Russian accents get old...quick. Although hitting people with ketchup bottles never seems to.
You don't appreciate it I guess. Anyway, wait until you get to Little Jacob and his accent. You'll be reaching for the subtitles option if you haven't already. : P

Oh, I almost forgot to mention. If those camera controls while driving sucked any harder, my TV would have collapsed on itself. I mean, I get the idea - free aim. But they fail in pulling it off. The camera should stay behind the vehicle until you're aiming. Otherwise it makes missions where you have to follow someone ever MORE annoying than in previous GTAs.
You mean how the camera drifts? We all just got used to that in the GTA games and Saints Row. If it's locked in the back it loses it's dynamic feeling.

Kain
05-07-2008, 03:17 AM
You don't appreciate it I guess. Anyway, wait until you get to Little Jacob and his accent. You'll be reaching for the subtitles option if you haven't already. : P

Oh, I've been there. Its not that I can't understand the Russian accents, its that there are so many buggers around town with it. I was seriously starting to think that Liberty City had been lost to the damn Commies in the Cold War. And Little Jacob just made me want to punch a baby.

You mean how the camera drifts? We all just got used to that in the GTA games and Saints Row. If it's locked in the back it loses it's dynamic feeling.

It's so dumb, though. Dynamic or not, its annoying as hell. The button to change the camera into a cinematic view is fine; its a great idea actually. The fact that you constantly have to readjust the camera while steering while trying not to die by flying out of your windshield has got to be the worst f'in idea I've ever seen implemented into a game. And that includes Jar-Jar in the Episode 1 game.

MrWally
05-07-2008, 06:51 AM
At first the camera seemed awkward for me, too, but after about an hour of play it felt very natural.

And as for the accents, I have lots of Eastern European friends, so I thought they were awesome :D

leXX
05-07-2008, 07:29 AM
I completely agree with Kain. The camera not staying behind the vehicle is extremely annoying indeed.

Pho3nix
05-07-2008, 07:35 AM
So is the camera different from previous GTA games?

TiE23
05-07-2008, 06:51 PM
\It's so dumb, though. Dynamic or not, its annoying as hell. The button to change the camera into a cinematic view is fine; its a great idea actually. The fact that you constantly have to readjust the camera while steering while trying not to die by flying out of your windshield has got to be the worst f'in idea I've ever seen implemented into a game. And that includes Jar-Jar in the Episode 1 game.Oh, a tip I learned from Saints Row. If you want to reset the camera, just click the right stick down, so it'll jump around to rear-view mode and instantly get reset right behind you. It can help.

Ctrl Alt Del
05-07-2008, 08:12 PM
It's so dumb, though. Dynamic or not, its annoying as hell. The button to change the camera into a cinematic view is fine; its a great idea actually. The fact that you constantly have to readjust the camera while steering while trying not to die by flying out of your windshield has got to be the worst f'in idea I've ever seen implemented into a game. And that includes Jar-Jar in the Episode 1 game.
Yeah. As if the pursuits weren't difficult enough already.

Oh, a tip I learned from Saints Row. If you want to reset the camera, just click the right stick down, so it'll jump around to rear-view mode and instantly get reset right behind you. It can help.It's of no use. The camere will slip back to the left after a short while.

TiE23
05-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Personally, I find myself with one finger always on the right thumbstick, I'm always adjusting the camera. Not always to adjust for a better view, but to help me see things.

And the click isn't useless, it helps when you're impatient. Helps especially when a camera that doesn't act the way you want it to can ruin an entire game.

MrWally
05-07-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't see what all the fuss over the camera is about.

It was a little awkward at first, but then I realized that it enhanced the cinematic feeling of the game while driving, and, in my opinion, it was easily overcome with just a bit of getting used to. And the right thumbstick was very useful on occasion, but I didn't have any issue moving the camera back to the original position.

I thought all the controls and camera movements felt very natural and intuitive.

Kain
05-08-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm not saying that getting used to the camera isn't possible. It's just incredibly annoying at first...and especially when you're drunk.

And that click thing isn't always practical.

Ratmjedi
05-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Am I the only one that uses the inside camera view for the car? I've never used a outside camera for any game that has driving in, I think it's more realistic and it helps driving alot.

:lsduel: :duel:

TiE23
05-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I play a lot of racing games and I'm split a lot of the time. There are some games that I really like 3rd person, and some games I like 1st person. The problem with 1st person GTA is that you can't see people who are trying to jack you, it's harder to run over people, and harder to shoot.

In DiRT I always use the bumper camera. Forza 2 I'm split. But in PGR4 I like 3rd person, though first is fun every once in a while.

zoidburg
05-10-2008, 11:30 PM
i like the game, because i'm evil and like to just shoot people and start wars with the police... anywho, the only thing i don't like is that when you use cheat codes (because i'm a cheater) it blocks achievements on my 360

Kain
05-11-2008, 02:20 AM
Well zoid. I guess its a good thing that the GTAs are really only good for what you enjoy in them. Personally, I just like shooting people without getting shot back. So I make a private free mode online game just so I can kill without consequence.

Thus far, my best massacre involved a chopper, a building, a late jump, and the subsequent crash and explosion...

...fun times.

Anthony
05-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I get the game today but have already played a lot of it because a friend left it at my house for a day.

and wow. I can honestly say there isnt a part of this game I dont enjoy. Ive actually spent a lot of time coming up with creative ways to kill myself (jumping out car door at around 100mph, bouncing off multiple cars and getting run over by a truck, etc)

The driving is amazing, and I love the way the car models take damage.

TiE23
05-14-2008, 06:58 PM
I spent a long time last night in freemode with a bunch of random guys at the airport. Spent a lot of time showing off mah choppa skills. Going really fast at low altitudes, hitting speeding cars off the tarmac with my copter (!) and doing really tight turns, with my rotors barely missing the ground.

I also did the bank robbery mission, and holy crap was that epic! And it more than tripled my bank account, too.

Achilles
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
I also did the bank robbery mission, and holy crap was that epic! And it more than tripled my bank account, too.Took me 5 tries in the first playthrough to get past that mission. Only needed 3 the second time :)

Anyone else find that the writing is far better than in any of the previous installments?

MrWally
05-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Guinness World Records broken by Grand Theft Auto IV:

- Biggest Entertainment Release of All-Time
- Highest Grossing Video Game in 24 Hours
- Highest Revenue Generated by an Entertainment Product in 24 Hours

Just to put this in perspective, here are the next highest earners in entertainment circles:

- Fastest-selling video game in 24 hours: Halo 3 (US$170m)
- Fastest-selling theatrical movie in 24 hours: Spider-Man 3 (US$60m)
- Fastest-selling book in 24 hours: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (US$220m)

No wonder it cost $100 Million to make.

Source: http://geeksofdoom.com/2008/05/13/gta-iv-thieves-guinness-world-records/

TiE23
05-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Took me 5 tries in the first playthrough to get past that mission. Only needed 3 the second time :)

Anyone else find that the writing is far better than in any of the previous installments?Lol, I've found that I can't remember ever dying in a mission, except once where you have the shoot-out at the theatre. Sure, I've had hospital visits just messing around, but I don't think that I've ever died against an enemy. The bank robbery and the coke-bag retrieval missions, I got on the first try.

Achilles
05-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Lol, I've found that I can't remember ever dying in a mission, except once where you have the shoot-out at the theatre. Sure, I've had hospital visits just messing around, but I don't think that I've ever died against an enemy. The bank robbery and the coke-bag retrieval missions, I got on the first try.I didn't die on any of the bank robbery attempts, I just let Packie and his brother get too far away. Guess I'm stubborn when it comes to killing people that try to shoot at me.

The coke-bag retrieval on the other hand...:(

Black Knight of Keno
05-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Two questions I wish answering:
1. Is Lazlow present on the radio stations or TV?

2. Is the driving in any way different from San Andreas? Has it improved or gone back to the GTAIII and Vice City driving? One review I've heard is that it's hard to drive cars because they're ship-like, or in other words sluggish :p

Achilles
05-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Two questions I wish answering:
1. Is Lazlow present on the radio stations or TV?Yes.

2. Is the driving in any way different from San Andreas? Has it improved or gone back to the GTAIII and Vice City driving? One review I've heard is that it's hard to drive cars because they're ship-like, or in other words sluggish :pYes, it is different. The handling is much more realistic, which is a huge pain in the ass when compared to SA. The trick is to unlock Algonquin ASAP and then just steal a Turismo out of the showroom whenever you need a car :)

TiE23
05-17-2008, 02:26 AM
I was listening to my favorite Podcast, the Cheap Ass Gamer podcast (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/cat_cagcast.php) , and they were complaining how the steering would reverse when looking back. Like how if you move the stick to the right the car goes to "screen left" when looking backwards. They were peeved by that, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem to? Maybe they just don't play racing games enough because I have no issue at all with the realistic "flipping".

Also, I've found that I drive with both thumbs on the thumbsticks. I'm always unconsciously adjusting the view almost all the time.

Pho3nix
05-17-2008, 06:52 AM
^ Same here, you get used to it after a while.

BongoBob
05-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I die alot, but it would probably help if I'd stop killing people only by giving them the shotgun hug >.> <.<

Neon
05-18-2008, 10:06 AM
I have played the game now, but I already got bored of it after 2 hours. I don't like it to be in the city all the time, and you can't even fight or shoot without getting arrested. Too hard to escape, for me this is.

I don't know why, but I liked san andreas a lot more