PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Knight Mod Status

DarkStarMojo
07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
So, not good news on this front. I've made a "command decision", such as it is my part to make one, that JKMod for JA is going on "indefinite hiatus." Nothing's been cancelled, per se, but with school and DFMod I don't have the time to effectively work on a second game. We're short staffed and Shamus has been MIA for some time now, probably due to work and family (which is far more important, I hope you'd all agree). Given the circumstances my options are twofold: 1) pack it in and call it quits; 2) put things on hold until DFMod, school, and other concerns are effectively dealt with and then see about bringing the project back, possibly on a better engine, possibly still as a continuation of what we've started.

To that end, I've decided on option 2 being the best all around. If I can find the time, I may release what we've finished with the first demo on Filefront and JKFiles. It would be pretty rough in terms of textures and weapons but it's better than nothing.

My apologies, of course, to everyone who's been eagerly watching things progress (or lack thereof). If Shamus becomes available in the near future, I'm sure we'll address these issues more closely and make a definitive, final decision as he's still project leader and it's, ultimately, his final decision to make. But you shouldn't expect any updates, demos, or whatnot anytime soon.

There is, however, still DFMod to look forward to. ;)

archangel35757
07-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Seems a very reasonable approach... I certainly understand-- this graduate class I'm taking for work has slowed me down on SOTE mod as well.

hhunter6
07-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Very understandable indeed. Personal life always comes first! But as you said we still have the DF mod to work on, then we'll see what the future brings.

Zerimar Nyliram
07-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Meh. I think you should have put the Dark Forces mod on hiatus in favor of the Jedi Knight mod as I'm more excited about that one, but what ever. I guess it makes sense to go in chronological order.

Good luck, you guys. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope we get to see these mods released before we're all signing up for retirement. ;) Good luck with school and everything else.

Omeganian
07-04-2008, 05:00 PM
It is certainly reasonable to focus on one mod.

Agent_Katarn00
08-03-2008, 03:11 AM
Well i still have my df2mofd for jo if anyone wants to help me in anyway. :(

Ekalektik
08-05-2008, 08:03 PM
YOU PUT THIS MOD ON HOLD!?!? NOOOOOES! I've watched you guys since Mr._Katarn first posted about this! NOOOOO! Will you post a download link to what you have done?

Agent_Katarn00
08-06-2008, 06:59 PM
YOU PUT THIS MOD ON HOLD!?!? NOOOOOES! I've watched you guys since Mr._Katarn first posted about this! NOOOOO! Will you post a download link to what you have done?
I kind of agree with you with the already finished work.
I need some textures in my part of the mod for jk2.
But i understand that sometimes things can come to the worst thing of all.:(

DarkStarMojo
08-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm going to see about putting together a "demo" of sorts consisting of the first level and the first half of the second level. I just need to finish textures, replace the weapon models, add enemies to level 2, and put together a clean, working build. No guarantees on when I'll get to it, though. I'm focused on DFMod right now and I want to keep progress on that moving forward without too many distractions before I have to go back to school.

Agent_Katarn00
08-10-2008, 05:11 AM
Well thank you,but i understand about personal life.Thank you sooo much!:)

DavFlamerock
08-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Hey, I've been watching this since last April, thought until now I haven't been able to go anywhere except Shane's site.

Knowing that the same group is working on both DF and DF2 mods, I would be appalled to force you to work on both at once. Please finish DF before making DF2, because if you can focus your work on one game it'll come out faster and better!

Ham Yoyo
08-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Knowing that the same group is working on both DF and DF2 mods, I would be appalled to force you to work on both at once. Please finish DF before making DF2, because if you can focus your work on one game it'll come out faster and better!

I agree.

Shamus
08-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Yeah, things have been a bit crazy on my end but hopefully if I can get everyone in one spot we can regroup and figure out what to do next. It's really a shame that Raven never released the SP SDK because then we would be able to keep everything that the original had. Ah well, c'est la vie. Once everyone gets back to me there'll be some news to post. :)

DarkStarMojo
08-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Well, I just sent Shamus an email. We should have more updates within a week or so, depending on people's schedules.

Have faith (I'm not sure how to word that to make a Force pun out of it. ;) )

Agent_Katarn00
08-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Can you plllzz post a link to the finished work of the df2mod plllz!

DarthPhae
08-29-2008, 12:52 PM
*Sigh* Thats really to bad about the Jedi Knight mod. I've been looking forward to it for... wow, almost a year now. Personally I would have stoped working on the DF mod and kept working on the Jedi Knight mod anyday but hey whatever.

Anyways good luck to all you guys.

DarkStarMojo
08-30-2008, 04:54 AM
Well, in terms of completed assets DFMod was much further along so it made more sense to complete that game and then proceed onto Jedi Knight. It's also worth noting that while some members of the DF2Mod team were also members of the DFMod team, the two projects had at no point prior to now been helmed by the same administrative staff. I was a mapping "grunt" on DFMod and took control of the second half of the project because it's my own personal ambition and nobody else seems likely to do so ;).

hhunter6
08-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Well, in terms of completed assets DFMod was much further along so it made more sense to complete that game and then proceed onto Jedi Knight. It's also worth noting that while some members of the DF2Mod team were also members of the DFMod team, the two projects had at no point prior to now been helmed by the same administrative staff. I was a mapping "grunt" on DFMod and took control of the second half of the project because it's my own personal ambition and nobody else seems likely to do so ;).

HERE! HERE!

Shamus
08-31-2008, 01:06 AM
What DSM is saying is certainly true. While DFMod and DF2Mod shared stuff, they were two separate mods. And the #1 problem is, and always has been, finding talented and dedicated people to create the best possible work, in their spare time and for free. Not too tall an order there, eh? ;)

We've been fortunate to have had some really talented people contribute (where did you guys go?) and hopefully they'll get in back in touch to contribute more. We've even been contacted by some really talented people who never followed up from the initial contact--which is a shame; but we can't force people to contribute. :) And it's a testament to DSM's dedication that he's stuck through this even with a total news blackout on my part. DSM is an amazing asset to DF2Mod and it really shows in his work as anyone can see on the DF2Mod screenshot gallery (http://shamusworld.gotdns.org/df2mod/screenshots.html).

The challenge ahead for DF2Mod is manifold and probably too long to go into right now, but hopefully we'll figure out how to keep this thing moving forward. As always, stay tuned... :)

Inyri
08-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Strong leadership is key to the success of any mod (and it doesn't hurt when the team leader is also a talented individual... for motivation's sake :)). I've been on several mod teams and all of them failed to complete their goals because they did not have a strong, talented individual to lead them.

Following up on some of those offers, even to the point of being pushy, can't possibly hurt your chances if the alternative is not getting any work out of those offers anyway. ;)

Bomberman65
09-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Well Its a shame to hear the JKMod is on hiatus but such is life. I remember being the resource manager back in the day when you guys were just starting out. *sigh* Good times. If you guys were getting paid for doing these mods I'm sure the DFMod would nearly be done lol. But you some times have to make sacrifices. I hope you atleasted get the DFMod finished. I dont care how long it take just as long as one gets finished, It'll be a big acomplishment for the whole modding community and you guys. Well Its always good to hear that your making your lives the #1 priorty. Its still good to see small work being done on one of the mods. Keep at it guys. Let me know if I can do some music editing for the team. I'm only too happy to help.

DarkStarMojo
09-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Strong leadership is key to the success of any mod (and it doesn't hurt when the team leader is also a talented individual... for motivation's sake :)). I've been on several mod teams and all of them failed to complete their goals because they did not have a strong, talented individual to lead them.

Following up on some of those offers, even to the point of being pushy, can't possibly hurt your chances if the alternative is not getting any work out of those offers anyway. ;)

That sounds like solid advice to me. Thanks a million.

Bomberman, I'll be sure to be in touch if we need anything. And yes, I'm dedicated to seeing DFMod through to completion. If nothing else, all the maps will be available as finished playable levels, even if we (hopefully not) can't managed to get the remaining models/cutscenes completed.

Agent_Katarn00
09-15-2008, 09:00 PM
I still want a link to the unfinished work,but Inyri does have a really good point.

DarkStarMojo
09-18-2008, 11:44 PM
If the decision is made to cease production on the mod then we'll definitely provide links to all our unfinished assets but not before then.

Neon
09-25-2008, 05:37 AM
Do you have a list of remaining models somewhere?
Because I can always try to help a hand.

exonimus
09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Wow, so I only recently found out about this mod in all my df2/jk2/jka years :P

I really hope you get the df mod done, and if you want, I could help out with the df2 mod. That is, I'm a student, so I can't work on it anywhere near full time, but I did play df2:jk and loved it(I still have it here somewhere) so I might be able to help out in things like mapping,proper website creation and maintenance, changing the jka menu to fit the mod(some scripting),creatings movies that sort of stuff. I'm kind of like a jack of all trades, but mapping is my focal point :)

If you really do not have time for the dark forces 2 mod, I could try to get some new people together who are wanting to work on it, maybe place a news message and a banner on jk3files.com, and get some active development team on it. I think I know some ways :P This way, the jk mod will continue while you guys can focus on the dark forces mod. And, once you're done, can speed up the development to the jkmod even more.

That would be much better than calling it a day and releasing the stuff you made right now, in my opinion. I'm sure there are other people interested on helping out with this. And besides, what do you have to lose? the things already done would be a great starting point.

edit: what might also be a nice idea is to combine this with a jk2 df 2 mod team(not sure how large they are now) and share the stuff that can be used in two games, lightening the burden. I'd be very interested in continuing this mod, and I'm eager to start mapping :D

exonimus
09-29-2008, 01:56 AM
come on guys, it would be nice to get a reply within a few days... :/

hhunter6
09-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Wow, so I only recently found out about this mod in all my df2/jk2/jka years :P

I really hope you get the df mod done, and if you want, I could help out with the df2 mod. That is, I'm a student, so I can't work on it anywhere near full time, but I did play df2:jk and loved it(I still have it here somewhere) so I might be able to help out in things like mapping,proper website creation and maintenance, changing the jka menu to fit the mod(some scripting),creatings movies that sort of stuff. I'm kind of like a jack of all trades, but mapping is my focal point :)

If you really do not have time for the dark forces 2 mod, I could try to get some new people together who are wanting to work on it, maybe place a news message and a banner on jk3files.com, and get some active development team on it. I think I know some ways :P This way, the jk mod will continue while you guys can focus on the dark forces mod. And, once you're done, can speed up the development to the jkmod even more.

That would be much better than calling it a day and releasing the stuff you made right now, in my opinion. I'm sure there are other people interested on helping out with this. And besides, what do you have to lose? the things already done would be a great starting point.

edit: what might also be a nice idea is to combine this with a jk2 df 2 mod team(not sure how large they are now) and share the stuff that can be used in two games, lightening the burden. I'd be very interested in continuing this mod, and I'm eager to start mapping :D

If you have some people that can help, you should send an email or pm to either shamus or Darkstarmojo. I'm pretty sure i speak for everyone who works on these mods that we don't have time to work on anything full time either. I know i put in 12 hour work days come home eat dinner and try to spend time with my family then work on the map if i'm not dead tired. but hey shoot those two a line and see if they can use your talents. I'd be willing to bet that we can find work for you on the DFmod.

exonimus
09-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up, but I was actually referring to the jkmod, partly because I used to play and love that game(and I never played the original dark forces, to my utter shame),because I know it, and because I would just love having it on the q3 engine. I know you guys must feel the same way about the original.
So that's why I proposed to take over the work on the df2 mod, and not to help with the dfmod. I'll see if I can get some people together, and I'll pm darkstarmojo and/or shamus. However, I'm not sure if I can get their e-mail, I'll see if they state them in their profiles.

edit: it seems they're not there. Would you, or someone else, care to either post (or pm) them? thanks

hhunter6
09-29-2008, 03:15 PM
actually both Shamus and Darkstarmojo are on the DF2 JK mod. Shamus is the project leader, thats why I said get with them. DSM along with myself and others are working on the DF mod. but I myself am also waiting for the DF2JK mod. so yeah hit them up and ask them what and where they need the help.

Just PM them here. they have already posted in this thread so its just a matter of sending them the message

exonimus
09-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Yes, I know they're on the jkmod too, but I got confused because you said dfmod. Sorry about that. Anyways:

pm sent.

hhunter6
09-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes, I know they're on the jkmod too, but I got confused because you said dfmod. Sorry about that. Anyways:

pm sent.

no worries mate!:D i do that to some people sometimes

Zerimar Nyliram
09-30-2008, 07:11 PM
come on guys, it would be nice to get a reply within a few days... :/

This is not a very active forum. You'll just have to be patient.

DarkStarMojo
10-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Small update: Negotiations for the continuing future of the mod have begun. We'll see where this thing goes from here...

pm sent.

And you should check your PMs ;). I've given you a task.

exonimus
10-04-2008, 02:56 AM
and you should check your email. I've completed my task a few days ago already. Actually, the day after you assigned it.

;)

Shamus
10-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah, this forum moves a bit slow these days, but I guess that's to be expected. At any rate we should have some news for y'all fairly soon, so stay tuned. :)

DarkStarMojo: Check your email! :)

hhunter6
10-15-2008, 08:53 AM
maybe you could post the news on the web site? :D

Shamus
10-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Oh, we will! :D

hhunter6
10-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Oh, we will! :D

aaaaaaawesome. I do feel I will have to jump back over to the forums as well then.

exonimus
10-17-2008, 02:48 AM
*is patiently awaiting an e-mail* :D

Shamus
10-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Email is slow ATM but it seems we're starting to get some traction. ;) Hang on, it won't take a year to get this sorted out. I promise you! :)

blah2k4
10-27-2008, 09:18 PM
I've been watching this mod for a long time, it's good to know there still might be some hope. Good luck all :)

exonimus
10-29-2008, 11:34 AM
So, I'm still awaiting a reply on the progress. My offer to try and form a new team still stands. I'd love to see this mod done. Sadly, communication seems to take a long time. But, let's be frank for a while: what do you guys have to lose? If it doesn't work out, you won't be much worse off than at the moment, if it does: great!

I'd love to post a news item at the jk3files site(as a start),start a proper site and forums, and gather an active team. But then, one has to be absolutely sure the mod is indeed continueing with the support of the current mod team, and one has to have the assets, of course.

blah2k4
11-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Any updates?

exonimus
11-27-2008, 07:36 AM
yes. The Jkmod is on hold for now(afaik) while hhunter and I, together with a few others, have picked up the Mysteries of the Sith mod. Come join our forums if you're interested(z13.invisionfree.com/motsmod)

Shamus
12-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah, well, email is still slow and when one of us stops checking every day things tend to slow down. :p We're workin' on it. ;) Right now the best way to see what's going on is to join the #df2mod channel on efnet. Get an IRC client like mIrc (at http://www.mirc.com/get.html) and drop by and say hello. :)

hhunter6
12-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Yeah, well, email is still slow and when one of us stops checking every day things tend to slow down. :p We're workin' on it. ;) Right now the best way to see what's going on is to join the #df2mod channel on efnet. Get an IRC client like mIrc (at http://www.mirc.com/get.html) and drop by and say hello. :)

Just wondering if you are going to update the website. :) I still roll over there every couple of days and still check the forums. maybe you could post this on the site as well. your last update was April of 07.

Shamus
12-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Holy crap, you're right! Fixed that. I want to get you and exonimus on the #df2mod channel on EFNet so we can talk. :) Hopefully DSM will be there too. ;)

hhunter6
12-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Holy crap, you're right! Fixed that. I want to get you and exonimus on the #df2mod channel on EFNet so we can talk. :) Hopefully DSM will be there too. ;)

Check your PM's and lets try to set up a time.

exonimus
12-12-2008, 07:40 AM
This is obviously not working. Either we are on and you're not, or you are on and we're not, or we get to meet for five minutes and then move on.

Is setting a certain date and time a better idea? or maybe use different means of communication?

Shamus
12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Actually having a set time/date would probably be best. But last time we we're all in the channel we had a fairly long chat if you remember. :) Also, this is the reason I recommended keeping your chat window open. I know hhunter can't--can you exonimus?

DarkStarMojo
12-22-2008, 11:34 PM
I know I haven't been on yet (school just ended and I'm still making preparations for Xmas) but I'd be willing to commit a set date and time to Monday or Tuesday nights, since I'll have the evenings off on those days next semester.

Shamus
12-23-2008, 12:10 PM
It'll have to be Monday--I'm going to be traveling the following day. :)

hhunter6
12-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Monday is fine for me. Until about 430pm est.

DarkStarMojo
12-29-2008, 04:12 AM
Well, I made plans for Monday afternoon so I probably won't be on until 7 or 8 est so it looks like we'll miss each other, that's assuming my plans don't change, which they always could.

Shamus
12-29-2008, 02:24 PM
@DarkStarMojo: Even so you should pop into the channel for a bit. And even if we don't all get on this Monday we can always try again for next week. The only real problem is exonimus: He's in Europe and probably can't do a late night meeting on the east coast of the US.

exonimus
01-03-2009, 12:41 PM
True, especially because my holiday is over(that is, it will be coming Monday)
What I propose if the following: the three of you meet, and any problems/misunderstandings/questions/rants that cannot be solved at that time, can be directed to me. If I know the date and time, I will probably be able to answer them in a timely fashion. Afterwards, you guys meet again(if needed..)

Also, how is your edit of the map conversion coming along? It's not that big a deal for now, because I'm at about 50% of the structural conversion for Altyr, and hhunter is at 100% for level two, but we still need to do loads of texture conversion, bug fixing, areaportalling, npc scripting, cutscenes,lighting, etc etc.

Shamus
01-06-2009, 12:49 AM
It's ready to go (at least in source form). I have to load up MinGW up in my VM to compile it for Windows, but that's about it, really. I found my code where I had already factored in MOTS, and it works. :)

exonimus
01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
great! I'll be testing it out ASAP

Zerimar Nyliram
01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Exonimus and/or Shamus, here's a suggestion: if you are friends with any modders in real life, try to get teams together where you live. This is why video games are developed to completion while mods are seldom completed without the team disbanding after losing interest: because the former have teams of people all working under one roof while the latter tends to always be done over the Internet, which makes frequent communication difficult. When games are developed from scratch, all a person from one department has to do in order to communicate with a person from another department is walk over to their desk. Plus, it is far easier to keep up encouragement, morale and ambition, and things tend to get done fairly quickly with everyone together. It's a more wholesome experience, which is very important.

I suggest doing this because I have been excited about a Jedi Knight remake for years and I really would like to see this mod completed. I have many ideas for it.

exonimus
01-22-2009, 03:33 AM
heh, not many of my friends/relatives are star wars fans, let alone have played the game and are able to mod for it :/

anyway, shamus, it's not working. It just says the .jkl file is not there, while it is in the exact directory where I run the program from.

Shamus
01-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Believe me, my friend, the mod would get done a *lot* quicker if we all didn't have day jobs. :( Distance isn't the problem, communication and time is.

@exonimus: It's not looking for .jkl files, it's looking for the .goo files. You have to pass it a parameter which tells it where to look for those (type jkl2map for it to tell you what the parameters are). If you drop by the channel, I can walk you through the process. I promise to check in the morning here. ;)

exonimus
01-23-2009, 07:17 AM
my apologies, I read those, but I thought most were optional parameters. I'll have a look this afternoon, when I'm home, and I'll see if I can get on IRC.