PDA

View Full Version : Beauty and the airbrush?

jonathan7
07-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Interesting vid; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U

Totenkopf
07-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Ah, the airbrush has replaced diamonds as a girl's best friend (ok, hold those rotten tomatoes, a VAIN girl's best friend). :D

Astor
07-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Beauty will always be subjective, I guess, but airbrushing people to to fundamentally change their looks really annoys me - it's not being fair to the person in the picture, by portraying them in a completely different way.

Why can't it be like back in the 30s - 50s? Back then women weren't demanding to be airbrushed, and there were some really beautiful women back then.

Sure, the technology for retouching photos and films was around, but there wasn't the same emphasis on size or beauty as there was back then. Back then, most of the big name actresses had real appeal, not just based on their looks.

I'd rather have Ann Miller:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/findagrave/photos/2001/315/5832474_1005596347.jpg

than Angelina Jolie:

http://glamourchick.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/angelina_jolie.jpg

Simply because there wasn't really much of a preconception of 'beauty' back in the 40s and 50s.

Achilles
07-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Hehe, great thread J7.

As a father, I'm very concerned about the social messages about beauty that are being sent to my young daughter.

I think videos like yours (and like this (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YP31r70_QNM)) are important. Young women need to be aware that they the "ideals" that are served up are unrealistic.

EnderWiggin
07-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Hehe, great thread J7.

As a father, I'm very concerned about the social messages about beauty that are being sent to my young daughter.

I think videos like yours (and like this (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YP31r70_QNM)) are important. Young women need to be aware that they the "ideals" that are served up are unrealistic.

Wow. Both of these videos are crazy.

Obviously I knew about retouching, but still - when you see it done in front of you like that it's really odd.

Ridiculous.

_EW_

Astor
07-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Of course, what doesn't help now are the torrents of magazines with '8 million ways to lose ten kilos!' on the front cover.

And then there's the gossip sections - 'Britney eats Rice Cracker - gains 80 pounds!' and so on that promote unhealthy images of women.

All of that is then further compounded by the hundreds of male oriented magazines that have a '50 sexiest' list, and you can guarantee that not one of those women will weigh more than about 10 stone.

And many people who have seen 'celebrities' (and I use the term loosely) say that they don't 'look as pretty in real life'. Of course they don't. You can't photoshop real life.

EnderWiggin
07-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Of course, what doesn't help now are the torrents of magazines with '8 million ways to lose ten kilos!' on the front cover.

:lol: Kilos.

_EW_

Achilles
07-15-2008, 06:23 PM
And many people who have seen 'celebrities' (and I use the term loosely) say that they don't 'look as pretty in real life'. Of course they don't. You can't photoshop real life.Heh, why sweat photoshop when you can just apply 50 lbs of makeup before you leave the house?

http://www.hitsusa.com/1-good-ones/eva-longoria-without-makeup.JPG

(I have a buddy who's a big eva longoria fan. I enjoy crushing his dreams with this picture)

EnderWiggin
07-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Heh, why sweat photoshop when you can just apply 50 lbs of makeup before you leave the house?

[img]{snip}[img]

(I have a buddy who's a big eva longoria fan. I enjoy crushing his dreams with this picture)

Wow. Ouch.

_EW_

Astor
07-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Heh, why sweat photoshop when you can just apply 50 lbs of makeup before you leave the house?

<snip>

That's.... horrific... I think i'm going to be sick.

But the problem with 50lbs of makeup is that you see the lips and eyes coming twenty yards before the person. :lol:

KinchyB
07-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Actually, I think, in the U.S. particularly, this is a fairly positive thing. People need to realize that as a nation (U.S.) we are overweight and unhealthy.

link (http://www.obesityinamerica.org/)

People actually need to see these images in order to re-enforce this fact on a daily basis (although it's not helping much currently). If people actually tried to be more like the people they see in these images one could make the argument we would actually be healthier as a society.

Enjoy!

KinchyB

Achilles
07-15-2008, 06:36 PM
So looking like a cast member of Desperate Housewives is your long term weight loss plan?

KinchyB
07-15-2008, 06:37 PM
So looking like a cast member of Desperate Housewives is your long term weight loss plan?

Umm...which cast member exactly?

Astor
07-15-2008, 06:40 PM
one could make the argument we would actually be healthier as a society.
It wouldn't be a particularly good argument. I'd rather have everyone walk the Earth with the features that they were born with, at a weight that they are comfortable with, as opposed to all being barbie dolls with 28 in waists, ridiculous boob jobs and tons of makeup and cosmetic surgery.

So what if people are overweight and unhealthy? It's their life, their decision. No amount of government interference will stop me from eating and drinking what I want. Governments interfering is bad enough already, without them saying what we can and can't do in relation to our own bodies.

Achilles
07-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Umm...which cast member exactly?I'll let you pick.

jonathan7
07-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Hehe, great thread J7.

Aye, I think it's very concerning, a friend of mine is a model, and possibly the most beautiful woman I've met in person, and she recently got a boob job; something she didn't need - and personally I think it is all in her head from all the garbage magazine's she reads.

Ah, the airbrush has replaced diamonds as a girl's best friend (ok, hold those rotten tomatoes, a VAIN girl's best friend).

Disagree with you here Tot; I think the airbrush, is a girl's worst friend, as I think people are perusing a totally unrealistic version of beauty and it will lead to problems.

Actually, I think, in the U.S. particularly, this is a fairly positive thing. People need to realize that as a nation (U.S.) we are overweight and unhealthy.

link

People actually need to see these images in order to re-enforce this fact on a daily basis (although it's not helping much currently). If people actually tried to be more like the people they see in these images one could make the argument we would actually be healthier as a society.

Enjoy!

I disagree totally here, I think it is only a negative thing in the majority of cases, of my friends who overeat, the do so because they feel sorry for themselves about their weight and the way they look; and so comfort eat. Then many of good looking girl mates, want boob jobs and other rubbish in pursuit of something they will never get and will as such continue having lots of unnecessary operations. I think it most unfortunate that the UVtan club, will have lots of wrinkles in say 10 years time...

Never do this to me and Kristin Kreuk :p But it does "beautifully" illustrate the point.

Beauty will always be subjective, I guess, but airbrushing people to to fundamentally change their looks really annoys me - it's not being fair to the person in the picture, by portraying them in a completely different way.

Why can't it be like back in the 30s - 50s? Back then women weren't demanding to be airbrushed, and there were some really beautiful women back then.

Sure, the technology for retouching photos and films was around, but there wasn't the same emphasis on size or beauty as there was back then. Back then, most of the big name actresses had real appeal, not just based on their looks.

I'd rather have Ann Miller:

than Angelina Jolie:

Simply because there wasn't really much of a preconception of 'beauty' back in the 40s and 50s.

Generally I totally agree, but object to the example's used purely because one of my ex's looked like Angelina :xp:

Achilles
07-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Never do this to me and Kristin Kreuk :p Meh, I think you'll be okay:
http://www.kristinkreukweb.com/gallery/albums/HD/normal_K_Kreuk_008.jpg

btw: It wouldn't be a particularly good argument. I'd rather have everyone walk the Earth with the features that they were born with, at a weight that they are comfortable with, as opposed to all being barbie dolls with 28 in waists, ridiculous boob jobs and tons of makeup and cosmetic surgery.QFE.

KinchyB
07-15-2008, 07:00 PM
I'd rather have everyone walk the Earth with the features that they were born with, at a weight that they are comfortable with

And what features are we talking about exactly? Everything you do impacts the way you look and feel. Some positive, others not. From a purely technical aspect this is impossible.

In regards to a weight they are comfortable with...(sorry ladies, no offense intended) if you can find a woman who is truly comfortable with her weight you deserve a cookie (maybe a nobel peace prize too if she didn't hurt you for asking about her weight :xp:).

Now seriously, how are we defining comfortable? What if your weight lends itself to health problems, is that comfortable? Arthritis, comfortable? The inability to walk up stairs, comfortable? Needing to buy an extra airline seat, comfortable? How about having to buy specific vehicles because you are too big for the standard ones, comfortable still?

Now, it's a wonderful ideal don't get me wrong, however, in the real world what people are really at a weight they are comfortable with?

as opposed to all being barbie dolls with 28 in waists, ridiculous boob jobs and tons of makeup and cosmetic surgery.

This is somewhat of a stereotype as not all models and everyone on the front page fits this description. So fortunately, everyone on earth would not fit this model. :)

So what if people are overweight and unhealthy? It's their life, their decision.

Life...think you meant "was" in this sentence...?

No amount of government interference will stop me from eating and drinking what I want.

Actually, this isn't necessarily true. Also, not sure where (why?) the government got involved here so I'm going to stick with the corporations involved in airbrushing, etc.

Your decisions are impacted every single day by what you see and hear. Even if its something you like you had to hear about somewhere, and more often than not it's commercials. So technically, the vast majority of what you eat, drink, wear, and think is a result of advertising...not necessarily individual unique thought. No one is immune from this unfortunately.

Governments interfering is bad enough already, without them saying what we can and can't do in relation to our own bodies.

No one is really saying you can or can't do anything. They are just advising that the odds are you'll die faster if you have an unhealthy diet. You can make the decision from there... :)

jonathan7
07-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Meh, I think you'll be okay:
http://www.kristinkreukweb.com/gallery/albums/HD/normal_K_Kreuk_008.jpg

Thank God! ;) :xp:

You sound disappointed that I'll be okay? (I did know I would be anyway :p)

Personally I think naturally beautiful beats airbrushed anyday, and I prefer normal photo's although the above isn't that flattering.

Achilles
07-15-2008, 07:18 PM
You sound disappointed that I'll be okay? (I did know I would be anyway :p) Maybe a little bit :xp:

Personally I think naturally beautiful beats airbrushed anyday, and I prefer normal photo's although the above isn't that flattering.Agreed. I don't care very much for girls that get glammed up, but that's my own personal preference.

KinchyB
07-15-2008, 07:20 PM
You sound disappointed that I'll be okay? (I did know I would be anyway :p)

He's the "Dream Crusher" for a reason. :xp:

EnderWiggin
07-15-2008, 07:46 PM
He's the "Dream Crusher" for a reason. :xp:

Aww, he's not so bad :lol:

_EW_

Burnseyy
07-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Hehe, great thread J7.

wow these videos are scary. :S
i didn't actually know they did that much to the pictures.
i'm not one of these girls who looks at magazines anyway, but wow.

Totenkopf
07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Disagree with you here Tot; I think the airbrush, is a girl's worst friend, as I think people are perusing a totally unrealistic version of beauty and it will lead to problems.

I think you took me too literally there. Part of the reason I added "vain" in (). Was being tongue in cheek. I agree that the airbrushing does give people unrealistic perceptions about beauty. It doesn't necessarily do a lot for the models, as they know where a lot of their "flaws" are in the first place. Think I saw a clip somewhere of a playmate talking about how whenever she saw her pics in the mansion (or elsewhere), she knew exactly what flaws were being disguised in the shot. More girls should probably have to see most of the "before shots" of the ones they wish to emulate. Might not make themselves feel so inferior.

Along with airbrushing, to a somewhat lesser extent, is the injudicious use of makeup. How many gals have you seen that look better w/o it than w/the amount they end up using? What's sad are the ones that end up looking like Bozo the Clown after putting it on and won't listen to people who try to tell them that it makes them look like 'tutes. Cosmetic plastic surgery is also a very mixed bag.

KinchyB
07-15-2008, 11:14 PM
How many gals have you seen that look better w/o it than w/the amount they end up using?

QFT

What is "All", Alex?

Correct KinchyB.

Now for our final jeapordy category..."Collagen Injections, Pro-tein or Con-Tein"

But seriously...the less a lady uses makeup the better.

Rev7
07-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Wow. Both of these videos are crazy.

Obviously I knew about retouching, but still - when you see it done in front of you like that it's really appalling.

Ridiculous.

_EW_
QFE. But in all magazines? It is simply crazy if you ask me....
:lol:

--

Yeah, I think this is getting a little bit out of hand. I honestly think that a lot of people don't know about this business. Standards of 'beauty' are set way to high. At a nearly, if not fully, and impossible level. A lot of people have fallen into that trap... :(

Bob Lion54
07-15-2008, 11:32 PM

And then there's the gossip sections - 'Britney eats Rice Cracker - gains 80 pounds!' and so on that promote unhealthy images of women.

Are you trying to say English magazines help you lose weight, but American magazines make you fat?

EnderWiggin
07-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Are you trying to say English magazines help you lose weight, but American magazines make you fat?

I agree. What are you implying, sir?

o_Q

_EW_

Litofsky
07-15-2008, 11:37 PM

Sad. This just shows me that America has grown into a state that revolves around beautiful, skinny women that have perfect teeth, nice hair, and a great 'body.' I imagine most things that we see on television have been enhanced beyond plausible recognition.

Either way, our sense of beauty has been perverted, and not many people are able to see through the dense fog that now clouds our perception of 'beauty.' To me, beauty should be on the inside. Beauty on the outside is just a bonus-- not required, but always nice to have. :p

Astor
07-16-2008, 05:09 AM
This is somewhat of a stereotype as not all models and everyone on the front page fits this description. So fortunately, everyone on earth would not fit this model.

A stereotype, yes, but one that is being seen all too often in today's media.

Life...think you meant "was" in this sentence...?

Nope, that sentence is as intended. :)

Actually, this isn't necessarily true. Also, not sure where (why?) the government got involved here so I'm going to stick with the corporations involved in airbrushing, etc.

I mentioned the government because, at least over here, there are always new drives by the government - They're going to ban this, or that, and refuse medical treatment to those who don't agree and follow the rules.

Oh no, i'm implying nothing of the sort. These are just examples of headlines in gossip magazines over here in England - I dont know anything about American Magazines, so I can't really comment.

The 'kilos' thing was to emphasise the importance that these magazines place on loosing weight.

Jae Onasi
07-16-2008, 11:38 AM

I couldn't possibly agree more. My daughter didn't want to wear her glasses at school last year because she was afraid they'd make her look ugly. We had a long discussion on what beauty really is. However, seeing all the magazine pictures, ads, the models in circulars in newspapers, and so forth make it really hard.

The emphasis on having 'perfect' this or that is, I think, causing way too many self-image problems. No one can be perfect, and women and men who constantly try to live up to such an unrealistic ideal find themselves wanting on a regular basis, which can only create negative feelings.

igyman
07-18-2008, 09:33 AM

Holy crap. I knew post production played a major part in everything we see on TV, or billboards, but I never thought it was that far gone.

I couldn't possibly agree more. My daughter didn't want to wear her glasses at school last year because she was afraid they'd make her look ugly.

It's ridiculous and I have no doubt that you've explained as much to your daughter. I know a few beautiful girls who sometimes wear glasses for reading and such. It never made me think "Wow they look so ugly with those glasses", but I did wonder how they managed to damage their eyesight by the age of twenty.

Astor
07-18-2008, 09:37 AM
but I did wonder how they managed to damage their eyesight by the age of twenty.

I'm curious as to why you think they 'damaged' their eyesight. I wear glasses, but i've never damaged my eyesight.

It's usually not a case of damaging one's sight, just having natural defects in your sight that require correction.

igyman
07-18-2008, 09:42 AM
I should have probably rephrased the question as "Is it possible they damaged their eyesight by the age of twenty", since I can't be sure if it's some sort of family trait, so to speak, or if they did it to themselves.

Astor
07-18-2008, 09:46 AM
No worries, maybe I was a bit too quick to jump on you like that.

That said, I did know someone who blinded themself playing with a BB gun.

Burnseyy
07-18-2008, 04:07 PM
No worries, maybe I was a bit too quick to jump on you like that.

That said, I did know someone who blinded themself playing with a BB gun.

i hate bb guns. stupid yobs sit in trees and shoot you, near me!