PDA

View Full Version : World will end on Wednesday!!!

jonathan7
09-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Ignore the title! - What sensationalist tosh, it won't end tomorrow, but you thoughts on this, would be interesting!

- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article4715761.ece

patient_zero
09-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I like yelling "WE'RE ALL DOOMED!" and complaining about Switzerland turning into "THE GAPING BLACK JAWS OF OBLIVION" to wind up one particularly loud Hadron Collider fanboy that tails me around. Good times.

It's intriguing, I suppose, but as I don't know enough about the science I can't say for sure. I don't think anyone will know what will truly happen until we do it, mind.

JCarter426
09-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Oh dear, not this again. How did that article put it...?

"Basically the only thing that will save us from getting transformed into globulets of grey goo in a few years will be if the Large Hadron Collider kills us first."

Arcesious
09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I hope it makes a micro black hole. Hawkins deserves a Nobel Prize already (IMHO)...

But then again, I'd say the same thing about Richard Dawkins... And then I'd finally have to decide to give the nobel prize to everyone who I would veiw as 'brilliant' I guess.

I can see something like antimatter power coming along soon if this LHC of theirs works right.

Pho3nix
09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
I hope the world ends tomorrow.

jonathan7
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I hope the world ends tomorrow.

Bad week? Rather extreme if your trying to avoid doing your tax return...

Ray Jones
09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
wednesday no good stargate is on :(

Achilles
09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm excited. I've been watching all the marketing available on YouTube for months.

Get ready for the 3rd superstring revolution. The next decade could potentially be very exciting indeed. While I wish to congratulate Europe for reclaiming the their spot at the forefront of scientific discovery, it's kind of sad to the U.S. era ending :(

tk102
09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
If the evidence shows that black holes were created, I wonder if that'd be conclusive enough to make Hawking pay up a 1-year subscription to Penthouse for Kip Thorne for losing their bet.

Achilles
09-09-2008, 04:48 PM
He already paid that debt!
Thorne's wife wasn't too happy about it either :)

Astor
09-09-2008, 04:59 PM
It's funny actually, I had to give a presentation today of at least 8 minutes. My topic?

"The World's Going to End on Wednesday".

Got quite a few laughs, and I think I educated some people too. :D

I hope it works, and that they do find the elusive Higg's boson, and we'll be closer to learning how the universe works.

Or, we'll be sucked into a vacuum. I've cancelled the milk for this week either way. :lol:

tk102
09-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh yeah, just saw that, Achilles. Nevermind.

mimartin
09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
While I wish to congratulate Europe for reclaiming the their spot at the forefront of scientific discovery Indeed. it's kind of sad to the U.S. era ending :(
Yea, I remember Texas actually was planning on being in the lead on this discovery. Still we are probably better off. Had the SSC project stayed in Texas, you’d most likely had a bunch of drunken Waxahachie rednecks shooting their gun at it the first time it was attempted to be used.

Excited to see what new discoveries come from this and how stupid Congress was to cancel the project here in 1993.

Pho3nix
09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Bad week? Rather extreme if your trying to avoid doing your tax return...
Heh, not really. The misanthropist in me just likes to rear It's ugly head every once in a while.

Achilles
09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Oh yeah, just saw that, Achilles. Nevermind.
He discusses the wager in the series Stephen Hawkings' Universe (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/hawking/html/home.html). He cracks a grin when he mentions the wife's reaction and it's a painful reminder that inside that wasted body is a real human being with a brillant mind.
Yea, I remember Texas actually was planning on being in the lead on this discovery. Still we are probably better off. Had the SSC project stayed in Texas, you’d most likely had a bunch of drunken Waxahachie rednecks shooting their gun at it the first time it was attempted to be used. Wow, way to put things in perspective, man. Suddenly I'm not bitter anymore.

Excited to see what new discoveries come from this and how stupid Congress was to cancel the project here in 1993. Well said :golfclap:

HdVaderII
09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
While I wish to congratulate Europe for reclaiming the their spot at the forefront of scientific discovery(

Or, according to some people, Europe may be at the forefront of a gaping black hole.

Achilles
09-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Or, according to some people, Europe may be at the forefront of a gaping black hole.And what is the average scientific literacy of these people?

Rev7
09-09-2008, 06:31 PM
The World isn't ending tomorrow. ;)

Achilles
09-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Source?

:xp:

Yar-El
09-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Stephen Hawking's £50 bet on the world, the universe and the God particle (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article4715761.ece)

Discovery or doom? Collider stirs debate (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24556999/)

I'm excited. I've been watching all the marketing available on YouTube for months.

Get ready for the 3rd superstring revolution. The next decade could potentially be very exciting indeed. While I wish to congratulate Europe for reclaiming the their spot at the forefront of scientific discovery, it's kind of sad to the U.S. era ending :( We could be looking at subjects such as proving the existance of multi-dimensions, time travel, space exploration, etc... This could be very exciting.

Achilles
09-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Was that for me? If so, then you may have missed the joke. :)

Yar-El
09-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Was that for me? If so, then you may have missed the joke. :) My mind is fried. :lol:

Tommycat
09-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Darn when I saw the thread title I thought it might be a cool thread about "If you knew the world was goingto end tomorrow, what would you do?"

Of course the first thought that passed through my mind was "Darn it, I just paid rent."

As for the LHC, I hope it does produce something. It's been so publicised and in the news so much, it had better produce more than a *fizzle* *POP* when it's fired up... I would prefer something practical.

HerbieZ
09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
The coolest thing i read was that if we ever do get visitors from the future, it will be this wednesday.

I'll set out the best china then i suppose.

Miltiades
09-09-2008, 09:11 PM
The coolest thing i read was that if we ever do get visitors from the future, it will be this wednesday. What a great time to come visit us. :)

Achilles
09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
The coolest thing i read was that if we ever do get visitors from the future, it will be this wednesday. :confused:
wut?

HerbieZ
09-09-2008, 09:20 PM
I was thinking on the lines of, someone would come back from the future to stop the thing ever going ahead. But, if everyone on earth was killed, there would be no one to come back. So if you think about it. If it is true that in our current history, we have never had visitors from the future. That means that if you take into account that we will evolve far into the future and invent time travel. Something wipes us out before we invent time travel. So as a species we definitely get wiped out at some point in the future. I'm talking far ahead in the future though. At least past Wednesday anyway.

But to answer your "wut?", something about generating a type of radiation that would essentially be a beacon to those with the right technology or something. I wasn't really paying attention.

Achilles
09-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Ah gotcha now.

Or here's another fun one*: people are always wondering what caused the big bang. Well now we know. It was us. Okay, not technically "us" but the Earth-like civilization that existed in the universe before ours that advance for a while then built a LHC and then turned it on (also on a Wednesday). It created the big bang that spawned us just as well all be wiped out in the one we make tomorrow which will lead to the next one. Silly and far fetched? Well prove me wrong! :xp:

...gee, it really is a lot easier to just make stuff up...

* not to be taken seriously in any way shape or form

JCarter426
09-09-2008, 09:46 PM
That is exactly what I'm afraid of. But who caused the first big bang? Why, the last planet dumb enough to do it of course, thus creating the first universe that did it and completing the cycle. :lol:

Achilles
09-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Shhh...logic no workie here.

Tommycat
09-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Simple... A gravitational force great enough to create a dilation in time to the point where the universe colapsed in on itself and thus we created the universe we also destroy with our new tech haha...

Or at least we could pull ourselves out of the present and into the past where the universe had not been created and therefore we remove ourselves from the present universe and pop up to create the universe by mistake. The Big OOPS haha.

Great Scott!
09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
This damn thing's on like every forum right now... this is the first I've seen where the topic creator actually knew it wasn't really going to happen. Good to see there's some intelligence in one of them.

Litofsky
09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
That is exactly what I'm afraid of. But who caused the first big bang? Why, the last planet dumb enough to do it of course, thus creating the first universe that did it and completing the cycle. :lol:
So, we get sucked in by a black hole? *shrugs* There are a lot worse ways to go. :xp:

As for this entire CERN business, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. If we all suddenly die, I'll take it that we were a bit over our heads. :p

Achilles
09-09-2008, 10:00 PM
This damn thing's on like every forum right now... this is the first I've seen where the topic creator actually knew it wasn't really going to happen. Good to see there's some intelligence in one of them.Just think, a few hundred years ago some of us would be standing inside a castle with an angry mob outside wanting to burn us at a stake. I love progress.

Tommycat
09-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Just think, a few hundred years ago some of us would be standing inside a castle with an angry mob outside wanting to burn us at a stake. I love progress.

Not me. I know better than to tell people with pitchforks and torches that their views are wrong haha

edit: at least in person...

Great Scott!
09-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Just think, a few hundred years ago some of us would be standing inside a castle with an angry mob outside wanting to burn us at a stake. I love progress.:lol:

If only we could get Orson Welles to narrate this...

Bee Hoon
09-09-2008, 11:14 PM
It's Wednesday here (almost halfway through). Any chance of my missing socks turning up when they fire up the LHC?

jawathehutt
09-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Well Ive started my countdown, I figure if Im alive at say 9 am CST, my cause of death will probably not involve black holes. If we do all end up dieing, we should have a party in the afterlife, Ill bring some brownies.

Arcesious
09-09-2008, 11:50 PM
As much as I bet this will all work out fine without killing all mankind...

What if there is a totally unexpected variable in all of this that could have a huge adverse effect we could have never predicted...? I dunno... I REALLY hope I'm still alive tommorow.

IE: "I like my life plz don't mess it up with doom machines k thx bai." (jk)

Still, I'm rather scared, even though I highly doubt anything bad will happen. And it's probably because of my phobia of vortexes...

jonathan7
09-09-2008, 11:59 PM
As much as I bet this will all work out fine without killing all mankind...

What if there is a totally unexpected variable in all of this that could have a huge adverse effect we could have never predicted...? I dunno... I REALLY hope I'm still alive tommorow.

IE: "I like my life plz don't mess it up with doom machines k thx bai." (jk)

Still, I'm rather scared, even though I highly doubt anything bad will happen. And it's probably because of my phobia of vortexes...

Look at it this way, if atheism is true; if the Universe ends, there is nothing to be affraid of as you won't exist any-more - after all are you scared of the time before you were born?

If Christianity/theism is true - God won't let us rip up space time so we will all still be alive...

How did you gain this fear of Vortexes?

On a lighter note...

Just think, a few hundred years ago some of us would be standing inside a castle with an angry mob outside wanting to burn us at a stake. I love progress.

a) You clearly haven't visited Britain lately :xp:
b) Why do I have scenes of many Frankenstein films in my mind now?

Concerns over tommorows experiment in Switzerland weren't quelled after seeing a spokesperson for the project...

http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/frankenstein-jj-001.jpg

Arcesious
09-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Look at it this way, if atheism is true; if the Universe ends, there is nothing to be affraid of as you won't exist any-more - after all are you scared of the time before you were born?

If Christianity/theism is true - God won't let us rip up space time so we will all still be alive...

How did you gain this fear of Vortexes?

Well I guess being scared of death is unavoidable... I know you can't be scared when you don't exist. That's no duh. The thing is being scared of not existing. IE, I like living vewy vewy much. Not living... It's almost inconceivable. Ceasing to have a mind is scary. I think being delusional and irrational like I used to be was scary, but I'd rather have that- I'd rather have brain damage, then nothing. Even the slightest formation of a mind, that is nowhere near as scary as none at all... Sure, I could take comfort on a crutch that there's something afterwords, but I beleive that the truth must be pursued, no matter how painful it is.

A quote comes to mind:

"The truth will set you free... But first it will pee you off." (lol.)

So if theistic beleifs are / aren't true... Let me take a unique stance on that. A 'deist' stance in order to make a point. What would make you think that God, whoever he/she/it is, could possibly care what humans do to themselves? And if God isn't there to save our butts? I see no proof for any of God's actions being in our favor... But this is an 'if' situation, and that debate has been overdone before and doesn't need to be again.

Anyways... Fear of vortexes thing... I don't exactly remember what exactly happened, but one day I think I was like 12-13 and I watched a marathon of tonrado movies and then had nightmares about it, subsequentially leaving me with an irrational fear of vortexes to this day... (I don't remember the exact story, I may have some details wrong.)

On a final note about death: Meh, big deal. Death. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Literally.

jonathan7
09-10-2008, 12:37 AM
I think being delusional and irrational like I used to be was scary,

How do you know you are not delusional and irrational now? After all did you think you were delusional/irrational a year ago?

So if theistic beleifs are / aren't true... Let me take a unique stance on that. A 'deist' stance in order to make a point. What would make you think that God, whoever he/she/it is, could possibly care what humans do to themselves? And if God isn't there to save our butts? I see no proof for any of God's actions being in our favor... But this is an 'if' situation, and that debate has been overdone before and doesn't need to be again.

If any God has gone to the trouble of creating the universe, it isn't about the human race, and more the fact, it would be rather annoying if we destroyed it - ergo, I don't think said God would allow it. "And if God isn't there to save our butts?" I already answered that in the 'if Atheism is true bit'....

I think we may have strayed a little off-topic now, so should probably move back to the science/comedy of today - we're still alive!

Tommycat
09-10-2008, 03:01 AM
It sure would be funny if just before they fired it up God boomed in with "STOP!!! I Command it!"

Achilles
09-10-2008, 03:58 AM
Apparently Hawking has a gambling problem (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/sciencephysicscernbritainhawking)

Pretty cool video on how the LHC works and what it does (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo60o9Y0RnE)

Tommycat
09-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Hmmm seeing as how I haven't heard of any large gravitational fields being generated... I have a feeling I'm going to have to go in to work tonight...

Astor
09-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Success! The World isn't ending. At least not Today, anyway:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm

Tommycat
09-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Haha isn't it funny how so many people were worried about the initial test... It wasn't even a full test... Just one way.

Pretty cool that the thing worked as designed. I was half expecting the thing to fail. You know, bunch or parts, designed by different people, some with differing measuring standards...

Rabish Bini
09-10-2008, 07:23 AM
It sure would be funny if just before they fired it up God boomed in with "STOP!!! I Command it!"

Would be funny, but never gonna happen.

Maybe we can find an alternate universe with this LHC thingy?

Darth Deralia
09-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I hope that one of the scientists will write a book for nonscientists about the experiment. Like Anton Zeilinger and Stephen Hawking did some years ago about other topics.
By the way: Switzerland is still alive and happy about that fact.

Achilles
09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Maybe we can find an alternate universe with this LHC thingy?Not sure about that, but the scientific community is very hopeful that the LHC will allow them to test some of the predictions made by string theory (which is technically a hypothesis). The implication being that if the some of the predictions come to fruition, then the other predictions become more likely to be accurate as well.

Long story short: find other universes, no. Find evidence that other universes aren't far-fetched, hopefully yes.

I hope that one of the scientists will write a book for nonscientists about the experiment. Like Anton Zeilinger and Stephen Hawking did some years ago about other topics. Will this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6aU-wFSqt0) do? :D

While not specific to the LHC, you might want to check out some of Brian Greene's books.

By the way: Switzerland is still alive and happy about that fact.meh.

All they did today was run some particles through in one direction. Soon they will test run particles in the other direction. Once they know that they can successfully run particles in both directions, then they'll start planning actual collisions. So if you really are worried, the time to worry wasn't today. It will be a few weeks/months from now.

Great Scott!
09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Why did anybody actually think this was going to happen!?!

Argh, it's not that easy to destroy the world, if it was some crazy person would've done it by now!

I'd think people would have more sense than this. I wasn't scared in the slightest bit because I knew today was going to be just like any other day.

Rathoris
09-10-2008, 01:33 PM
building a particle acceleration is by no means easy :xp:

Great Scott!
09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Same with destroying the world. Your point?

Arcesious
09-10-2008, 04:52 PM
How do you know you are not delusional and irrational now? After all did you think you were delusional/irrational a year ago?

If any God has gone to the trouble of creating the universe, it isn't about the human race, and more the fact, it would be rather annoying if we destroyed it - ergo, I don't think said God would allow it. "And if God isn't there to save our butts?" I already answered that in the 'if Atheism is true bit'....

I think we may have strayed a little off-topic now, so should probably move back to the science/comedy of today - we're still alive!

You must remenber how much of a pain in the neck I was in debates then. :p Well, I am kind of now too, taking an almost 'militant' athiesm stance, but instead of being so shallow as to say 'I'm right, you're wrong', I try to reconcile and consider what you're saying...

Anyways... Sorry for going off topic. I have got to stop derailing threads. I have such a nasty habit of that.

As for philosophers... I like Mark Twain... (Was he a philosopher? I dunno, but he's written pretty interesting stuff, IMO.)

jonathan7
09-10-2008, 05:18 PM
As for philosophers... I like Mark Twain... (Was he a philosopher? I dunno, but he's written pretty interesting stuff, IMO.)

This would the World Will End thread ;) - The world didn't end :) - I'd say told you so, but remember when I was about 15, we all thought Saddam Hussain was going to Nuke us and that would be it, and panicking...

I've very happy the test went well, I wonder what results will be found...

You must remenber how much of a pain in the neck I was in debates then. :p Well, I am kind of now too, taking an almost 'militant' athiesm stance, but instead of being so shallow as to say 'I'm right, you're wrong', I try to reconcile and consider what you're saying...

Anyways... Sorry for going off topic. I have got to stop derailing threads. I have such a nasty habit of that.

No worries - you were allowed to respond as I'd asked questions - but wanted my one above and this to be the end of the discussion here. Thanks for your co-operation :)

True_Avery
09-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Why did anybody actually think this was going to happen!?!

Argh, it's not that easy to destroy the world, if it was some crazy person would've done it by now!

I'd think people would have more sense than this. I wasn't scared in the slightest bit because I knew today was going to be just like any other day.
You were right to not be scared because they didn't collide -anything- today. Today was a test day with only one beam, which many people seemed to outright ignore.

I find it amusing that initial testing freaked so many people how. Hold your tongue till they actually start the colliding process, which will be in a few weeks.

I've very happy the test went well, I wonder what results will be found...
Results? We found that we could circle one particle around, meaning the machine works so far.

This would the World Will End thread - The world didn't end - I'd say told you so, but remember when I was about 15, we all thought Saddam Hussain was going to Nuke us and that would be it, and panicking...
Some people also assumed that the Atom Bomb could destroy the universe. Lucky for us, there are measures in energy conversion that keep that from happening.

Did that theory stop us from setting it off? I wouldn't entirely underestimate humanities's ability to feed its curiosity regardless of cost.

All they did today was run some particles through in one direction. Soon they will test run particles in the other direction. Once they know that they can successfully run particles in both directions, then they'll start planning actual collisions. So if you really are worried, the time to worry wasn't today. It will be a few weeks/months from now.
Thank you! Someone else that actually reads the news.

Lantzen
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
One of my countrys newpaper put it out that the world would end today, and it apperently started masspanic for kids 15 years and younger, some where even older. Have read on the newpaper site about how kids that age have been paniced the whole day. And here i am and laugthing about it, serious what is wrong with people. When i was 15, and that was 4 years ago i wasnt that stupid that i belived the world would end because a newspaper said so. I can understand that kids around 10 year read this and belive what the newspaper said, but come on, when you 15 you should have some kind of critique thinking.

I have seen blogs and comments from people 20+ that have been afraid and cryed about this, and im just like :confused: I wonder if people will keep being afraid of this **** when they get the info about that they haven't even done the real test yet

jonathan7
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Results? We found that we could circle one particle around, meaning the machine works so far.

I was more referring to the results after the actual experiment, - I did not in the start of the sentence that today was a test - sorry the structure didn't make it obvious that I was referring to the October 'turning on'. :)

Some people also assumed that the Atom Bomb could destroy the universe. Lucky for us, there are measures in energy conversion that keep that from happening.

Did that theory stop us from setting it off? I wouldn't entirely underestimate humanities's ability to feed its curiosity regardless of cost.

That was more pointing out to Arc, that he had posted a response in the wrong thread, though my sentence didn't actually make much sense.

Arcesious
09-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Okay I'm not scared anymore. It can't possibly be much more dangerous that an H-Bomb... Can it? Meh, it doesn't matter. It sounds like they've got it all under control.

The Doctor
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Thing is, they don't begin actually colliding particles for a few weeks yet. All they're doing right now is making sure things work, and calibrating their instruments.

Jason Skywalker
09-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Lol, how can anyone actually THINK the world is to end?

I saw an interesting piece of fiction on a forum, here:

Hello,

I am from approximately two months in the future. On 10/22 at approx 2:34am CET a tachyon
field failure in the main resonating ring of the LHC causes a "temporal blowback". Shortly
thereafter, the resulting destruction of the strong nuclear force causes the world to vaporize in
seconds, while a few of us near the experiment are thrown into a temporal causality loop.

While the predestination event (or as we have come to call it "The Big Rewind") hasn't occurred yet to
you, for us it is about three years in our past. I came across the 4chan site looking to see if there
were any other scientists that may have theorized this phenomenon who may be of assistance in
preventing it. This brings me to my point, I have repeatedly checked your site for the past five
rewinds at 2:34:01 CET and it still says nope, believe me at this point the LHC has most assuredly
destroyed the world. I can provide a bank account in Nigeria for the funds to be placed. I am
curious to the exact amount however.

John Titor
CERN Specialist

I find it quite amusing.

Lantzen
09-10-2008, 06:02 PM
If evrything was vaporized, how can he then be from the future ? Or did he somehow get out that loop thingie ? ^^

Achilles
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
"temporal causality loop" = fancy way of saying "time warp".

Lantzen
09-10-2008, 06:24 PM
http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Tommycat
09-10-2008, 06:50 PM
"temporal causality loop" = fancy way of saying "time warp".

LETS DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!!

Arcesious
09-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Funny thing that a CERN specialist looked for scientists on 4chan... That makes so much sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YpuIsSdcFs

The LHC seems to have broken TFU.

/sarcastic

JCarter426
09-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Okay I'm not scared anymore. It can't possibly be much more dangerous that an H-Bomb... Can it?
I'll let the higher authorities speak on this one:

"Well, first imagine an apocalyptic nuclear holocaust. Multiply that by about one hundred and twenty thousand billion, and then multiply that by around the neighborhood of infinity. That equals around one eighth of the magnitude of the Big Bang."

But I think I figured it out. When the LHC is activated, we're not going to destroy the universe. We're going to create our own universe.

It's the beginning of the universe! Run for your lives!

Tommycat
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
But I think I figured it out. When the LHC is activated, we're not going to destroy the universe. We're going to create our own universe.

It's the beginning of the universe! Run for your lives!

Can the two universes(universi?) co-exist, or will they create a Gnab Gib?

BlazingPhoenix
09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
So, we haven't died yet, what a surprise. Not.

JCarter426
09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Can the two universes(universi?) co-exist, or will they create a Gnab Gib?
It's simple, really. We put that universe in a box. Since that universe is also our universe, they'll be putting our universe in a box at the same time. Then we switch boxes, thus allowing the unviersi to coexist.

KinchyB
09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Rumor has it that the first actual test could potentially make an itty bitty black hole...in the second test instead of using particles they are going to fill the entire thing with water, the Chinese will clone Michael Phelps, and the two Phelps' (Phelpi... :o) well swim at each other to see if when they collide if they make a super massive black hole. I'm looking forward to that one...8 gold medals...and a super massive black hole...the US ROCKS!!

Hehe... :)

Anyway, pretty excited about this. Curious to see what breakthroughs and new theories come of it. Too bad they never made one here in the U.S. :(

Arcesious
09-10-2008, 10:03 PM
I wonder what would happen if we tried to collide two electrons with each other... Or nuetrons.

Achilles
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Anyway, pretty excited about this. Curious to see what breakthroughs and new theories come of it. I am by no means an expert, but here goes anyway:

String theory (hypothesis) is severely limited by the inequality between the predictions made by the mathematics and what we can actually test with existing technology. So we have all these ideas about what to look for in order to confirm the predictions/test the hypothesis, we just don't have the tools to do so.

The LHC is supposed to be one of the first steps toward obtaining those tools. Think of it like Christmas: you have a pretty good idea what your presents are based on what you asked for and the shapes/sizes of the boxes, however until you can actually start opening stuff up, it's all very tentative. Once you get to open your presents, then you can confirm what's there. If what you get is what you wanted, then there are many happy hours of playtime ahead for you. If you don't, then you kinda have to make the best of it and start planning ahead for next year. So if you see a bunch of scientists acting like giddy kids on Christmas Eve, well...

Too bad they never made one here in the U.S. :( *grumbles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider)*

Det. Bart Lasiter
09-10-2008, 10:25 PM
It's simple, really. We put that universe in a box. Since that universe is also our universe, they'll be putting our universe in a box at the same time. Then we switch boxes, thus allowing the unviersi to coexist.fill the box with cereal i want my fruit loops with some universe

El Sitherino
09-10-2008, 11:08 PM
It's simple, really. We put that universe in a box. Since that universe is also our universe, they'll be putting our universe in a box at the same time. Then we switch boxes, thus allowing the unviersi to coexist.
That only works when you have good ratings.

Ray Jones
09-11-2008, 02:56 AM
I wonder what would happen if we tried to collide two electrons with each other... Or nuetrons.How do you think they found all the stuff they know about? Or, let me rephrase, what do you think does collide if they send ions against each other?

Ztalker
09-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Bugger. It's Thursday over here..did the world start to end back there in the US yet? :(

Go read Angels and Demons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_and_Demons) if you're interested in what if might have caused. Ironically, the novel proofs the existence of god by using that particle accelerator...while the author is...ehm..disliked by the church.

Talked with a friend of mine about it (the type of guy who calls his cat Schrödinger, proofs you're in AND out of the train cabin at the same time, black holes, etc) and he thinks it's all a big fuss and some stuff (like the Shrödingen principe) simply shouldn't be sought after.

Arcesious
09-11-2008, 08:19 AM
How do you think they found all the stuff they know about? Or, let me rephrase, what do you think does collide if they send ions against each other?

Well I guess it can only be done with protons at the moment, but I've always wondered about how it would work with the other two. Neutrons are apparently neutral... Which makes me wonder: Where did the neutrons come from? Do they do anything more than add atomic mass to an atom? And are they truly neutral? Is it even possible to collide something with as little mass as an electron?

I dunno as much physics as I used to think I did. Lol, only recently have I learned about atomic layers, bonding, etc, etc...

Ray Jones
09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Oh my, Arcesious. Atoms are made of protons and neutrons in the core orbited by electrons. When you take some Electrons away or add some to that atom you get an ion. Neutrons and protons are made of quarks. Electrons are, well, electrons. However, in ancient times it wasn't uncommon to send streams of ions against each other to let them collide. I'll let you do the math what it is that collides when two ions, made of protons, neutrons and electrons hit each other.

Arcesious
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Okay so you're talking about I'm guessing... Nuclear fission or something?

Ray Jones
09-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Okay so you're talking about I'm guessing... Nuclear fission or something?Wot. No. Reread your questions, reread my answers.

Darth Deralia
09-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Will this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6aU-wFSqt0) do? :D

While not specific to the LHC, you might want to check out some of Brian Greene's books..

I mean a book describing the theories theyve won through 15 years of experimenting with the LHC. A book like that would be worth to wait for 2023 (the earliest possible release date).

At the moment they want to center the proton in its flight, after achieving this they will do the same for a proton in the other direction. Finally after that, they will let them collide to create a "micro-big bang".
The big goal is to find the thing or things who are responsible for gravitation.
The black holes who could be created from the collisions are harmless, and happen every day on earth and its atmospheric shield.
So why should we die by doing the same?
Chaos theorists like Arthur Rössler (Roessler, if your PC doesnt know this german letter) have to think that everything can happen everywhere, but they couldnt delifer a proof that the black holes will become stable.
The best scientists were planning for decades, nothing will happen and thats the bottom line for me.

Yar-El
09-11-2008, 01:27 PM
:fist: I guess we will have to wait until the next doomsday. :cry6:

Rogue Nine
09-18-2008, 06:39 PM
The Royal Society of Chemistry are a bunch of wankers (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2008/09/17/scilhc117.xml).

Thinking they can get CERN to rename the LHC, honestly. I quite like the name it has right now, thanks very much. Though "Puff the Magic Hadron" does have a nice ring to it.

Astor
09-18-2008, 06:43 PM
The Royal Society of Chemistry are a bunch of wankers (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2008/09/17/scilhc117.xml).

Thinking they can get CERN to rename the LHC, honestly. I quite like the name it has right now, thanks very much. Though "Puff the Magic Hadron" does have a nice ring to it.

Funny, I don't ever remember being asked what it should be called... does that mean i'm not public now? :lol:

Halo just sounds bad.

LHC is just fine. That, or Doomsday Machine.

Rogue Nine
09-20-2008, 10:42 PM
LHC down for a couple of months (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/09/20/hadron.collider.damage.ap/index.html).

Yay, we get to live to see 2009!

Rev7
09-20-2008, 10:46 PM
LHC down for a couple of months (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/09/20/hadron.collider.damage.ap/index.html).

Yay, we get to live to see 2009!
:lol:

Thanks for the link

Corinthian
09-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Isn't the whole 'The LHC is going to end the world' joke getting a little old?

Boba Rhett
09-20-2008, 11:30 PM
No. Here's undeniable proof that stuff's about to hit the fan.

http://www.spong.com/news/g/o/gordonfree280821l.jpg

As for the breakdown, I was unaware that they were running this entire thing near absolute zero. Cool beans. Literally.

Rev7
09-20-2008, 11:32 PM
:rofl:

Good eyes Rhett!

TKA-001
09-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Isn't the whole 'The LHC is going to end the world' joke getting a little old?
Quoted for emphasis. The world is not going to end because of this thing. As Rhett pointed out, the very worst it could cause is a Half-Life scenario.

Corinthian
09-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Rhett is hardly the first person to notice a guy with a resemblance to Gordon Freeman. It's really a coincidence. I'm totally not laying contingency plans for a resonance cascade.

Boba Rhett
09-21-2008, 12:11 AM
A coincidence? Wait. Are you trying to tell me that's not the Freeman? Open your eyes, man.

Corinthian
09-21-2008, 05:15 AM
There are a few inconsistencies. The glasses are of the wrong design, and his beard is off.

Ray Jones
09-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Who cares about details, it's the facts that count.

Ztalker
09-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Ehm. Wait. if you have played Half Life 1, you would have realised the reason behind the 'temporary closing' of certain facilities. The aliens are invading CERN as we speak.

But...where's the orange suit? :(

Yar-El
09-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Accodring to Nostradamus, 2012 is the Next Doomsday! :lol:

Astor
09-23-2008, 04:00 PM
LHC Now Halted till Spring. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7632408.stm)

This thing is surely doomed to fail, isn't it?

mimartin
09-23-2008, 04:10 PM
This thing is surely doomed to fail, isn't it? A setback and nothing more. Great scientific and technological advancement take hard work and persistence.

If it were easy, perhaps the U.S. would still be involved in this kind of experiment. ;)

Yar-El
09-23-2008, 09:25 PM
A setback and nothing more. Great scientific and technological advancement take hard work and persistence.

If it were easy, perhaps the U.S. would still be involved in this kind of experiment. ;) We owe Europe for some of the greatest scientific methods, minds, and discoveries, but the United States is not without our own Willis E. Lamb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_E._Lamb). :D