PDA

View Full Version : Dead Space

Lightsaberboy
10-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Has anyone played this game yet? I saw some trailers for it a while back and it looked pretty good. the reviews have been pretty positive so far as well. anyone here have a first-hand experience with it? I'm thinking on whether i should rent it or buy it.

MrWally
10-17-2008, 11:54 PM
It's being released for PC on the 30th, I believe. Whatever the date is it won't be for a little while.

Nevertheless, I plan on picking it up when it hits the PC shelves.

TiE23
10-17-2008, 11:57 PM
I've been thinking "damn, I should probably get this" for the last two or three days. I'll have to meditate on it. Got my paycheck today, though. :V

Edit:

After watching this, I really want to get it now. First very first clip made me go "woah..."
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41717.html

It's like RE4, Doom 3, Metroid, and BioShock all in one.

Da_man
10-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Quite frankly, that game freaks me out. It looks cool, but I can't watch Aliens without freaking out. Looks really awesome, though I don't want to play it anytime soon if I want to sleep at all for the next year or so.

Lightsaberboy
10-18-2008, 12:54 AM
i wonder how long it is. the story seems interesting, but if it's something that can be beaten in 12 hours or so i might just rent it and play through it.

TiE23
10-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Quite frankly, that game freaks me out. It looks cool, but I can't watch Aliens without freaking out. Looks really awesome, though I don't want to play it anytime soon if I want to sleep at all for the next year or so.

Sometimes you've got to force yourself. Hell, I stopped playing Doom 3 way back when cause it freaked me out too much while my brother went along and finished it. I started it again and got pretty far cause the entire time I was playing I was just expecting the worst... and kinda talking myself though it, too.

"Oh, guy is gonna pop out of there... no? Okay, then here definitely? Oh, I was right, hold on. Shot gun, okay, boom, you're dead, oh, another? Pfft, die bitch. Hey, don't screech at me. Boom! Oh, you trying to scare me? Hah! Boom!" (Note, this was back in like 2006, now I'd just hum to myself and laugh at the primitive bump mapping.)

I plan on getting this hopefully tomorrow or Sunday.

Darth Groovy
10-18-2008, 02:10 AM
I played this game for quite a while last night. Freaks me the hell out... Seriously, It is down right nerve wracking in every sense of the word. The plot thus far, pretty much plays out like Alien/Doom 3. You are part of a rescue unit and board a dead space craft full of horrible things. One particular area worked a number on my senses. You are wandering through the maintenance bay looking for a key, and this mammoth, I mean HUGE engine suspended from chains is clanging back and forth, and blocking out just enough light to darken those corners. My nerves were so shot, I had to stop some where in level two and call it a night. All around though, I HIGHLY recommend this game. It seems to finally capture that creepy mood that Doom 3 tried so hard to do, but Dead Space does it much better. The other interesting thing is they way you interact with input devices throughout the ship with your groovy space suit. Everything is holographic, from the map, to your inventory..etc. There is no HUD, it is built into your suit. Remember to conserve your ammo and for god sakes, when you encounter any creature, go for the limbs, or you will be sorry...:eek: I got this game on check out, but I may be buying a copy for myself. Playing this game in the dark, with an LCD TV, and a decent surround system enhances the experience ten fold. This game has AWESOME sound. I give this game a solid 95%. Docking only 5% for mildly clunky controls, and an otherwise, "been there, done that" type of story line.

BongoBob
10-18-2008, 02:25 AM
I still havn't completed Condemned, so I dunno when I'll pick this up, but I do want to play it.

TiE23
10-18-2008, 01:17 PM
They removed the video review of Dead Space on Game Trailers... what the ****?

Edit: Apparently they made mistakes in their review. There are hot keys and they summarized the story completely wrong. Here is a YouTubes version, though. I think I'll be going to the store in the next couple hours. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVMWneo24JU

MrWally
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
i wonder how long it is. the story seems interesting, but if it's something that can be beaten in 12 hours or so i might just rent it and play through it.

I read a review that said it's about 12 hours, but since the game is so atmospheric and offers so many different ways to play through it that the reviewer instantly started a new game. Right after finishing it the first time.

Da_man
10-18-2008, 11:21 PM
"Oh, guy is gonna pop out of there... no? Okay, then here definitely? Oh, I was right, hold on. Shot gun, okay, boom, you're dead, oh, another? Pfft, die bitch. Hey, don't screech at me. Boom! Oh, you trying to scare me? Hah! Boom!"

That sounds like my last playthrough of Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone on Halo 2.

All I can say is that my parents are never going to let me get this until I go to college, otherwise I'd spend the next 2 weeks on the floor of thier bedroom.

Darth Groovy
10-19-2008, 01:12 AM
That sounds like my last playthrough of Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone on Halo 2.

All I can say is that my parents are never going to let me get this until I go to college, otherwise I'd spend the next 2 weeks on the floor of thier bedroom.

Only one TV in the house or what? :confused:

Da_man
10-19-2008, 01:28 AM
My parents are kinda...paranoid when it comes to video games. If it is rated above M, it is going to take some serious convincing on my part. It took 3 months and my friend coming over with his 360 for a night to convince them to let me play Halo, and TES IV:Oblivion.

BongoBob
10-19-2008, 01:33 AM
No offense meant, and not sounding creepy, but how old are you? My parents were kind of the same way until 10th grade. Around that time I just said, "Look, it's a video game. Suck it up."

Damn Jehovah's Witness Parents D:

Da_man
10-19-2008, 01:40 AM
For the record: I'm in tenth grade. I am not some creep living in their parents basement and/or attic. just wanted to clear that up. No offense to anyone who does live in their parents basement.

To get this thread back on topic, how about the strategic dismemberment thing. Seems cool.

Jeff
10-19-2008, 01:43 AM
Mine were the same, pretty much till I turned 17. Even then it wasn't as much they said "you can buy M games now" and more of "**** it I am getting Resident Evil 4."

Darth Groovy
10-19-2008, 02:23 AM
Guess I am lucky. The rating system didn't really take effect until I moved out. And by then, I was over 18 anyways.

What ever...

Det. Bart Lasiter
10-19-2008, 02:33 AM
My parents are kinda...paranoid when it comes to video games. If it is rated above M, it is going to take some serious convincing on my part. It took 3 months and my friend coming over with his 360 for a night to convince them to let me play Halo, and TES IV:Oblivion.No offense meant, and not sounding creepy, but how old are you? My parents were kind of the same way until 10th grade. Around that time I just said, "Look, it's a video game. Suck it up."

Damn Jehovah's Witness Parents D:Mine were the same, pretty much till I turned 17. Even then it wasn't as much they said "you can buy M games now" and more of "**** it I am getting Resident Evil 4."

you all suck and will never be cool because of this
http://lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=2153

PR-0927
10-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Haha, I think the only "violence" censoring my parents did to me was lot letting me watch that animated Batman show...and that was before I was five. After that there was a thing - I kinda' assumed my Mom would never let me play M games when I was in middle school (I didn't really want to at the time), so I stuck with T-rated games until...8th/9th grade? My brother played all three Halo games, and started in...third grade? Wow. Yeah, as I was in 11th grade when the second one came out, and we had definitely been playing the first one for a year, at least. He's in seventh grade now, and has played stuff like BF:BC, Crysis and its expansion, Far Cry, and plenty of other violent games.

So I guess my family's pretty lenient then.

As for Dead Space, I get freaked out from horror films (so I haven't watched one since I was in middle school or so, except for like...1408), but I think I might find the "scary" stuff in this amusing. The "scary" parts in Halo, Far Cry, and any other games so far kinda' don't have an effect on me - never played Doom 3, but I saw some of it played, and found it funny.

- PR-0927

PR-0927
10-19-2008, 03:21 AM
WTF just happened?

- PR-0927

Lightsaberboy
10-19-2008, 03:48 AM
where are the rest of the posts?? WHAT DID YOU DO TO THEM?!?! :o

anyways, how many hours would you guys say it takes to beat it?

BongoBob
10-19-2008, 04:12 AM
inb4 database error D:

TiE23
10-19-2008, 06:18 PM
No offense to anyone who does live in their parents basement.
No. People who fall into that category deserve to be embarrassed and offended. Don't apologize. (You know, the stereotypical- haven't bathed in two weeks kinda dude, but if you're normal and just happen to live in a basement and like game, then yeah, you should know we're not referring to you.)

------

Umm, yeah. Played Dead Space for an hour and a half straight. Pretty awesome and very violent. Though it has some eccentricities, like how I removed the legs and arms and head of a woman who died in front of me with my boots... yeah, I did. Enemies are freaky and it's pretty gruesome sometimes. I haven't died yet and only got injured once in the first 45 minutes only because of a cheap "whoops, I'm not dead, lol, lemme bite your neck" trick. It's a lot easier than RE4 so far.

Oh, and in the scales of violence... if Manhunt and Soldier of Fortune 2 was 10 out of 10 and Condemned was a 9, I'd give it a 9...

10/10 - Soldier of Fortune 2, Manhunt
09/10 - Condemned, Resident Evil 4, Gears of War, Dead Space
08/10 - Unreal Tournament 3, God of War, Ninja Gaiden 2
07/10 - Grand Theft Auto 4, The Witcher, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Metal Gear Solid 3
06/10 - STALKER, Call of Duty 4, BioShock, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row
05/10 - Halo 1, 2, and 3, Half-Life 2, Splinter Cell 3, Saints Row, Call of Duty 4
04/10 - Crysis, Far Cry, Strangle Hold, TESIV: Oblivion
03/10 - Mass Effect
02/10 - TESIV: Oblivion, Viva Pinata, whatever I can't think of anything
01/10 - Ninety-Nine Nights

Also, you guys who get suppressed by your parents when it comes to violent games? Just man up and get it. I'm a little different because the first M-rated game I ever saw was Doom when I was like 5 or 6. First time I played was Unreal when I was 8, and the first time I got scared of a game was either Hexen or Return to Castle Wolfenstein... Tell them that it's just a game and it really can't affect you at all. Hurrr...

Ctrl Alt Del
10-19-2008, 08:32 PM
^How exactly is Mass Effect more violent than TESIV:Oblivion?

Anyway, if their definition of scary is just excruciating and gruesome violence, they need to rethink their concepts and go play some Silent Hill. What do you say, TiE? Is that all the game has to offer?

BongoBob
10-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Also, you guys who get suppressed by your parents when it comes to violent games? Just man up and get it. I'm a little different because the first M-rated game I ever saw was Doom when I was like 5 or 6. First time I played was Unreal when I was 8, and the first time I got scared of a game was either Hexen or Return to Castle Wolfenstein... Tell them that it's just a game and it really can't affect you at all. Hurrr...

Did you read any of our quotes? That's pretty much what happened, except we couldn't really do anything about it without fear of getting our asses kicked until around 16 and up or so.

Not everyone had parents that raised us on Doom. Christ, I didn't play doom until I was what, 15? It's not always as easy as just saying "I'm getting this game nuts to you if you don't like it."

Lynk Former
10-19-2008, 09:47 PM
RE4Metroid
Oh?

El Sitherino
10-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm intrigued, tell me more about this "Dead Space".

TiE23
10-20-2008, 12:19 AM
^How exactly is Mass Effect more violent than TESIV:Oblivion?
I think the more awesomer question is how Viva Pinata is as violent as Oblivion. Also, you can go ahead and rip apart my entire post due to one mistake, I spent too long thinking through that list, and when I got down to 3/10 to 1/10 it was hard to think of games.

Anyway, if their definition of scary is just excruciating and gruesome violence, they need to rethink their concepts and go play some Silent Hill. What do you say, TiE? Is that all the game has to offer?

Go read some reviews of it. It's got Doom 3 (BOO!) and FEAR (oh my god who is that?!) style scares, but with more ominous "what the **** happened here". No super natural stuff, all gross and scary alien scares that rip you in half.

Did you read any of our quotes? That's pretty much what happened, except we couldn't really do anything about it without fear of getting our asses kicked until around 16 and up or so.I wasn't saying that 10 yearolds should be allowed to play M-rated games, I was going for 15 yearolds should be allowed to play M-rated games. I was just stating my case because I was an anomaly.

Not everyone had parents that raised us on Doom. Christ, I didn't play doom until I was what, 15? It's not always as easy as just saying "I'm getting this game nuts to you if you don't like it."
Forgive me for not understanding your situation. It's just that the fact that every kid with an Xbox had Halo before they were 14 in "my day" just lead me to believe that most parents didn't pay attention to what games their kids played. I do remember my dad getting yelled at by my mom when she found out he was letting me played RTCW, kinda funny when I think back about it. : P

Edit: Oh, and how Gametrailers made mistakes in their video review was pretty much true. Where they say that there needs to be a health kit quick button... it's funny because it's X, it's a freakin' face button. Big mistake, har har.

Ctrl Alt Del
10-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Go read some reviews of it. It's got Doom 3 (BOO!) and FEAR (oh my god who is that?!) style scares, but with more ominous "what the **** happened here". No super natural stuff, all gross and scary alien scares that rip you in half.
I have, but they seem to resume to the "scariest game ever of the week" argument. Well, at least it seems like a good shooter and action game with the gruesome enemies.

TiE23
10-22-2008, 12:08 AM
I have, but they seem to resume to the "scariest game ever of the week" argument. Well, at least it seems like a good shooter and action game with the gruesome enemies.

It's about as scary as Resident Evil 4. There, and it's pretty much the same game but you can move around (albeit slowly) when aiming and shooting.

Ctrl Alt Del
10-22-2008, 01:07 AM
It's about as scary as Resident Evil 4.
Lol. Then it's not as scary as my last mother-in-law. Piece of cake. And if the gameplay is also similar, then it's tasty.

TiE23
10-22-2008, 02:32 AM
Wow, am I the only one besides Grooves who actually got this game? It's teh good. I wasn't able to play today, but I did play two more solid hours yesterday, some great stuff. Fought against the first two "Brutes" which are basically the equivalent of Berserkers from Gears of War. And ran into the first real boss... which was freaky because you fight the guy like 5 separate times as he's chasing you around the ship... and he's practically invincible until a certain point, making things incredibly intense. Oh, and I'm starting to die more often, it's got a good difficulty curve so far. Oh, and this boss? He has a kill move that essentially impales you... twice, then pulls off your legs and arms one by one, then your head, and I'm pretty sure rips you in two...

I started the 6th chapter and then stopped.

But really, if you're a fan of RE4, you'll love this game. Comparing it to other games like Doom and Bioshock and etc doesn't make that much sense because it's basically a sci-fi RE4. Aliens instead of Zombies... but they are technically alien zombies a-la the Flood. :V

BongoBob
10-22-2008, 02:41 AM
My friend bought this when he came over to my house. I didn't play it, but I watched him play through to the 2nd chapter, and I must say that this game has some of the most intense **** I've ever seen.

Since I'm saving my money, I'll probably only end up renting it. Don't get me wrong though, this game is fantastic.

TiE23
10-22-2008, 03:14 AM
My friend bought this when he came over to my house. I didn't play it, but I watched him play through to the 2nd chapter, and I must say that this game has some of the most intense **** I've ever seen.

Since I'm saving my money, I'll probably only end up renting it. Don't get me wrong though, this game is fantastic.

If you make sure you get it done in the 5 or whatever days that are in the rental, definitely get this sucka... now for the other games... FarCry 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3...

BongoBob
10-22-2008, 12:11 PM
And don't forget GH:WT and Gears of War 2.

God damnit, why do all the good games have to come out at the same time D:

TiE23
10-22-2008, 04:11 PM
And don't forget GH:WT and Gears of War 2.

God damnit, why do all the good games have to come out at the same time D:

Like GH3 I'm not going to feed those bastards at Actvision my monies. :V

Also, I could care less about GoW2 personally. Great games, but I don't need it, hurr... :V

Ctrl Alt Del
10-24-2008, 10:58 AM
I've decided to buy it ASAP. Gonna kill my finances, but for a good cause. Planning on renting first.

Ctrl Alt Del
10-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Rented it. Didn't go much farther than the tram area on chapter 3, though. And I pretty much agree with what TiE said so far. The game certainly tries much harder than RE4 to be scary, but it's less successful for some reason. It might just be me, but all the "monster: booh" parts are predictable.

But it's a fun and very competent actions game, just as it's "counterpart" RE4. It incorporates all the must-haves components of today's action/shooter games, such as a gravity weapon and a little beyond (found the 'delaying burst' to be a good idea). The graphics are awesome as everyone may see, and the story is developíng, although it still sounds like a plot taken from a Doom game.

Enjoying it so far.