PDA

View Full Version : RPG vs. MMORPG

Titanius Anglesmith
10-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Basically, is the announcement that this is an online game what you've been waiting for or is it a big disappointment? Would you have preferred what we seem to be getting, or a single player game that ties up the story from the two KotORs?

I definitely would've preferred the latter.

Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 06:23 PM
I would have preferred both...so now I can't vote on either.

Astor
10-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Single player, definately. I'm disappointed that they seem to have cast aside all they've done for KOTOR and killed it off with just 'He's dead'.

Jae Onasi
10-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Added a couple options to the poll.

the-obiwan
10-21-2008, 06:37 PM
singleplayer of course!

Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't know man, that Yoda idea is looking like a good choice at the moment.

Arátoeldar
10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Single player, definately. I'm disappointed that they seem to have cast aside all they've done for KOTOR and killed it off with just 'He's dead'.

Agreed

SW01
10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Single Player. I have not yet used an MMO, and would regardless prefer to be free to explore the story (and mod, and cheat, and restart, etc., etc.) at my own leisure.

Jeff
10-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Ever since this game was just rumors I have thought that an MMO in the KotOR Universe would be very good if done right. I do not think I can say which I would prefer, as the original KotOR is still my favorite game, but I would not argue with either.

Ctrl Alt Del
10-21-2008, 08:39 PM
For me it'd be certainly singleplayer. The announcement wasn't a disappointment, though, because it was clealy expected. Still, it's far of what I truly wanted.

Yar-El
10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Characters seem plastic or World of Warcraftish. Is this due to it being pre-alpha?

Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I hope so. I honestly hope they don't look like that come launch day.

Ctrl Alt Del
10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
^ I fear the cartoonish design may derivates from the use of the Hero engine on the game....

Yar-El
10-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Can someone explain the Hero engine please?

SpartanPride
10-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Uggh... Single player. Man - I don't know how well this game is going to do in the market, with all of the series fans giving it a bad wrap.

I hope some LucasArts or Bioware representative is keeping track of this pole.

Ctrl Alt Del
10-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Can someone explain the Hero engine please?

It would be healthier to read directly from the source (http://www.heroengine.com/home.asp).

On a second thought, the unreal design may very well been just an artistic choice.

Yar-El
10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
It would be healthier to read directly from the source (http://www.heroengine.com/home.asp).

On a second thought, the unreal design may very well been just an artistic choice. Thanks Ctrl Alt Del!

Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
It doesn't matter as long as it is KOTOR 3 and not a sad fake like "the old republic" If the story were set properly, then gameplay would be just as good one way or another to me.

Swanea
10-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Characters seem plastic or World of Warcraftish. Is this due to it being pre-alpha?

I wouldnt say WoWish, Id lean more towards CoHs. It looks like Superheros with everything so...plastic shiny.

And it was stated that it is all Pre-Alpha footage. So, It is not something to worry about. It is easily worse than the graphics in the original KotOR.

Rev7
10-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Single-player

Prime
10-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Single player, definately.Me too. But I'll see how this pans out.

I'm disappointed that they seem to have cast aside all they've done for KOTOR and killed it off with just 'He's dead'.Actually, that is something that I really like about this.

Christos K
10-22-2008, 09:47 AM
I still would like K3 but until than I have hopes and feelings TOR will be good.

Jason Skywalker
10-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Yoda.

Also, inb4 Sing-damn, too late.

CrisG
10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
I wish people would stop trying to be negative and enjoy this wonderful advancement, KoTOR I and II were wonderful but they are part of the past, and this is the present and the future. There will be much to appreciate and experience I am sure from the KoTOR world and there is every reason to appreciate it. So what they are making for us is a combination of both single and multi and you did not have a category for that so i will not vote.

SpartanPride
10-22-2008, 08:38 PM
^CrisG - Umm... if KOTOR III would have been made, it would of been a lot like Mass Effect, which just so happens to be a "Present and the Future" type of game.

The last thing I want to do is go into the town, where everyone is begging for "12 MOAR PEACES OF SIBLER PLZ."

I quit WoW for a reason. MMORPG's drain money, too. Kind of depressing...

LukeDavis93
10-22-2008, 09:32 PM
the MMO will totally blow, I would much rather have KOTOR 3, and if I ever get the MMO it will be used as toilet paper

RyuuKage
10-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Singleplayer.

Revan and the Exile are too important to just eliminate with no information.

Web Rider
10-22-2008, 11:51 PM
I don't mind an MMO aspect to the game, such as for larger events or pure socializing or for RP sessions, but I'm not really interested in a strictly MMO ala WoW.

Personally, I enjoy the KOTOR games for the single-player experience.

Tommycat
10-23-2008, 12:03 AM
MMO, Revan and the Exile are too powerful to let live.

urluckyday
10-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Single player by far...not b/c I care bout the ongoing story...not b/c I think they couldn't get an MMO right (I think if anyone, Bioware can make a killer MMO)...it's b/c MMO's as a whole suck. Let's buy the game and then pay monthly (around 15 bucks!) to play...not a good deal at all...who knows, this could change my opinion, but don't count on it...

Tommycat
10-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Single player by far...not b/c I care bout the ongoing story...not b/c I think they couldn't get an MMO right (I think if anyone, Bioware can make a killer MMO)...it's b/c MMO's as a whole suck. Let's buy the game and then pay monthly (around 15 bucks!) to play...not a good deal at all...who knows, this could change my opinion, but don't count on it...

You don't have cable then?

Web Rider
10-23-2008, 12:11 AM
You don't have cable then?

Another downside to MMOs, while I was impressed at the ability of WoW to run over a low connection, a more powerful connection than dial-up is pretty much a requirement. I pay $60 for my connection a month, add $50 for the game, and then $15 a month, and while the base cost of the game is spread out infinitely over play time, I'm now paying 25% more on my internet bill, just for ONE game. Little much don't ya think?

Tommycat
10-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Another downside to MMOs, while I was impressed at the ability of WoW to run over a low connection, a more powerful connection than dial-up is pretty much a requirement. I pay $60 for my connection a month, add $50 for the game, and then $15 a month, and while the base cost of the game is spread out infinitely over play time, I'm now paying 25% more on my internet bill, just for ONE game. Little much don't ya think?

I wasn't talking about cable internet. I was talking about cable in general. See this is the same argument that was used against cable TV for the longest time. Why pay a monthly fee. I already paid for my TV, why would I spend money monthly to watch TV?

SWG runs on dial up. Most MMO's run over a dial up connection.

Taos
10-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Basically, is the announcement that this is an online game what you've been waiting for or is it a big disappointment? Would you have preferred what we seem to be getting, or a single player game that ties up the story from the two KotORs?

The original Kotor game was what brought me here to Lucasforums so many years ago. I just loved that game, I'll never forget how I felt at the spoiler moment either - totally never saw it coming lol. The second was pretty good, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first, mostly because of the way it ended.

Now to answer your question, I would have been happy either way. I love the time period. That said, I am extremely happy to have a chance to play Kotor in an online world with friends I've made from other games. Should be a great experience. :)

Web Rider
10-23-2008, 12:38 AM
SWG runs on dial up. Most MMO's run over a dial up connection.

True, but there's no denying they run BETTER over a faster connection. Opening a web page can kill your WoW connection on dial-up.

K_Kinnison
10-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Sadly true "Role-play" is hard to do with a computer game. Since it is hard to come up with all the ways someone may react, and then the repercussions later on... eventually through trial and error people will figure out the decision tree and tell everyone how to arrive at the goodie they wanted before they even start.

Katarn84
10-23-2008, 06:18 AM
Single palyer, it always has a plot, and once you purchase the game you play for free, MMOs don't have plots and you must pay to play...

lokfan78
10-23-2008, 06:30 AM
I wish people would stop trying to be negative and enjoy this wonderful advancement, KoTOR I and II were wonderful but they are part of the past, and this is the present and the future. There will be much to appreciate and experience I am sure from the KoTOR world and there is every reason to appreciate it. So what they are making for us is a combination of both single and multi and you did not have a category for that so i will not vote.

I hope it's not the future. Plenty of people still like single player games. And many people do not play MMO's. I kind of hope it tanks spectacularly so they have to make a proper SP game to recoup their losses

Tommycat
10-23-2008, 07:01 AM
True, but there's no denying they run BETTER over a faster connection. Opening a web page can kill your WoW connection on dial-up.

Well to be fair, you use your internet connection for more than the game, soooooo you aren't just paying extra for the better running game haha.

But really the whole point is that people pay monthly fees for entertainment all the time. In some cases spending 15 a month is less than they would have spent on other entertainment... Kept me out of bars. I know I spent more in bars than 15 a month. So I got a net savings of hundreds haha.

Yar-El
10-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I have fought over this for several days. I keep flipping back and forth on this issue. I finally realized what I'm feeling. The Old Republic should be made into a singleplayer game. Why? It will feel more personal to me. I love the whole premise behind this game; thus, I have been fighting over my feelings for days. I have a Jedi on one shoulder and a Sith on the other. Each are making a hard to disagree with case. Its looks like an amazing game; however, I see some very convincing cons. (1) Spending monthly costs on an internet connection and game subscription is too high for me. (2) Spending the money so an angry player can kill me while I make progress is also annoying. (3) Being bothered by other players while wanting to explore alone is also annoying. I like playing games alone in my den. I go to work everyday, and I interact with the office gang. I walk through the door after a long day, and I just want to be left alone. Games allow me to push away human contact after a long day. Massive online roleplaying games require a level of human contact; thus, I want a singleplayer game that doesn't meet that requirement. Games are my escape from life.

Does this mean that I overall hate this game? No. There is some amazing things being done; therefore, you can see the pain in my decision. Visiting Korriban once again would be great; however, I just can't get passed why I like playing games. I do it to escape from human contact. Its that simple.

adamqd
10-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Singleplayer!

I'm not doubting that this will be a well made game, but, It WILL ruin KotOR for me, because I play swg (Sorry) and the MMO factor makes it not star wars in any way, shape, or form, the community aspect make's it like going about your everyday lives, just wearing a star Wars costume. I'm guessing as a Star Wars Fan there will 0% immersion, 100% netspeak.

Jeff
10-25-2008, 02:37 PM
*Reads post*

*Looks at adamqd's avatar and sig pic*

<_<

adamqd
10-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks for Pointing that out Brainiac Trollflame, I'm all for it, just gonna be me though, no interaction, ok?

CrisG
10-25-2008, 03:30 PM
I totally agree with ppl who want a SP game. I do too. I long for one. But it is not going to happen now, perhaps ever. LA has made its decision clear, I am sad to say, There have been so many valient attempts to get them to realize the playability and the value of their older titles. They ignore them. There is a wonderful group of modders working to salvage KoTOR I and II, and i have high hopes that they will manage to heal some of the damage that was caused by Lucas Arts forcing release of both titles before all that was meant to be in the games coulid be concluded, including the cutting of an entire planet that was largely ready with a complex and fascinating storyline for KoTOR I. Sigh.

I dont know for sure what the future holds. I hope hope hope that Single Player will survive the current fascination many Game Developers are having with MMO's. They think it is a way to deliver massive content to huge numbers of players but up until how, all of them, almost, have been dismal failures in terms of quality of game world and immersion, they just dont deliver what the promo art promises in terms of quality. So I am among the strongest proponents of SP, but for now, this is what we will have. So I try to encourage support so that if and when this works, or it at least brings renewed interest in the wonderful world of the Old Republic, we may at some time get a worthy KoTOR III.

I shall continue to hope and continue to support LA for they have given us JK O and JK A and the KoTOR"s and many of the other games have fine qualities too. Here's hoping the Force will remain strong.

Scars Unseen
10-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Wasn't really looking for either, though I will tentatively say that I'm for the MMO. To be honest, 1 & 2 left things in such a state that I have trouble imagining a third game that would be satisfying. You'd either play yet another new character that had the vaguest of connections with the original story or find some way to lose all the power that you had accumulated in one of the other KOTORs.

Jeff
10-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for Pointing that out Brainiac Trollflame, I'm all for it, just gonna be me though, no interaction, ok?You're welcome! :)

playloud
10-26-2008, 12:58 AM
... I kind of hope it tanks spectacularly so they have to make a proper SP game to recoup their losses
If it tanks, they will just bury KOTOR forever. What they need to do is learn how to LISTEN to their customers. When LA/SOE made the NGE for SWG, people on the forums told them "if these changes go live, I'm canceling all my accounts." Well, guess what. They weren't lying. Subs went way down after the NGE.

Lucasarts needs to learn to listen. The majority of players wanted KOTOR 3 with realistic graphics

Instead, they are giving us KOTOR MMO with cartoon graphics.

I mean, this was simple... K2 is finished. Now work on K3 (but give this one a little more polish). Continue and/or finish the story. We weren't asking for much. The games sold well. It's not like we were asking for a handout. We were asking for another product to buy.

Then there is the long break without any information. Rumors about an MMO start popping up. Most people on the forums say they don't want and MMO. They want K3. But Lucasarts is so darn stubborn, then pretend we don't exist.

I read when TOR is going to take place, and it all sounds good... until I remember that they can't possibly tell a great immersive story, BECAUSE it is an MMO. Too many people named Revan420 will be running around, all trying to be the main character of the server. It just doesn't work. Single player RPGs work because you are separated from the other players, and you CAN be the main character.

The sad part is they will probably make more money off of this, due to the subs. They will then feel vindicated, because that is the only way they measure success. It doesn't matter if it is a quality game or not. Lucas has a bazillion dollars. You would think that since he will never go starving, that he would be more focused on keeping his company's reputation strong, than earning every last penny he can.

I truly hope I am proven wrong, and that TOR is an awesome game. But when I saw awesome, I mean that it reminds me so much of K1 and K2 (strong story, that once gets immersed in). If it doesn't do that, I hope LA loses a lot of money on it, so more people can tell them "Don't blame us, WE wanted K3, and we told you so. You gave us something else"

SpartanPride
10-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks for Pointing that out Brainiac Trollflame, I'm all for it, just gonna be me though, no interaction, ok?

That made me laugh XD

Lance Monance
10-26-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't doubt that TOR has the potential to be a great MMO. But MMOs do not revolve around an immersive plot and great voiced dialogue. They simply don't. So far, every MMO's attempt to be on par with a SPRG when it comes to those things has failed.

I'm massively disappointed with LucasArts decision. :(

Miltiades
10-26-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't doubt that TOR has the potential to be a great MMO. But MMOs do not revolve around an immersive plot and great voiced dialogue. They simply don't. So far, every MMO's attempt to be on par with a SPRG when it comes to those things has failed. There's a first for everything. And because no MMO has succeeded so far in creating an solid story, doesn't mean this one won't.

The Doctor
10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
When I first heard word that this new game was going to be an MMO, I was pissed. Beyond pissed. I was livid. I was ready to swear off the game completely, and not even bother keeping up with its progress, nor try it when it came out.

I simply don't believe that an MMO can do the era justice. However, I also loathed the first KotOR game when I first read about it, and swore I'd never try it. It was purchased for me by my less-than-in-touch-with-my-life uncle from BC, and I tried it to humour him. It's not my favourite game of all time, and I can't imagine how I could have been such an ass.

So, I'm going to give the game a try, at least on a trial basis if possible. Maybe they'll pull a Jagex, and offer limited Free Servers in addition to the full Members one. Hopefully that's the only aspect they take from RuneScape, though. I used to play it. I was not amused. -_-

So, ultimately, I'm cautiously optimistic about this new chapter in the Old Republic era. I will definitely try it, but I'm not going to let myself get too excited about it, lest I be let down.

LordOfTheFish
10-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't doubt that TOR has the potential to be a great MMO. But MMOs do not revolve around an immersive plot and great voiced dialogue. They simply don't. So far, every MMO's attempt to be on par with a SPRG when it comes to those things has failed.

What is so disappointing with an MMO? After all, a change is nice every now and then.

Tommycat
10-26-2008, 11:13 PM

You apparently haven't listened to the press releases. That is the reason their writing staff is huge. They have said that most MMO's miss that 4th pillar of an immersive story. Everyone told them that they couldn't do that in an MMO and that was something they struggled with the most. It meant they had to work harder to achieve that.

They have also said that they wrote it with the idea that 40% of people who play MMO's actually do like to play alone for the most part. They also stated that you could go through most of the story without having to interact with others.

So it's still too early to tell whether your statement is true or false. Just because nobody has done it doesn't mean that it cannot be done. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. and taking them at their word on this. How much would you pay to have KotOR 3 through 10 shipped on release?
Shakespeare killed King Lear with "he dies"

SpartanPride
10-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Shakespeare killed King Lear with "he dies"

That doesn't make it a good decision!

JediMasterJambi
10-27-2008, 12:36 AM
So it's still too early to tell whether your statement is true or false. Just because nobody has done it doesn't mean that it cannot be done. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. and taking them at their word on this. How much would you pay to have KotOR 3 through 10 shipped on release?
Quick point here. Not only are you going to give a company that has shown time and again that it follows the "richest route" never listening to its fans the benefit of the doubt, but your going to take their word as truth as well? Good luck with that.

What is so disappointing with an MMO? After all, a change is nice every now and then.

A lot of you miss the point. There isn't an "every now and then" anymore. TOR is now Kotor 4, 5, 6, 7 and BEYOND. They are killing the KoTOR game series with the release of a MMO. Period.

So, ultimately, I'm cautiously optimistic about this new chapter in the Old Republic era. I will definitely try it, but I'm not going to let myself get too excited about it, lest I be let down.
Many people can't even afford to be cautiously optimistic about a monthly fee during a world-wide financial crisis. Even if the world wasn't in that current state, an MMO of this level will consume HUGE amounts of time. I'm talking from when you wake up till when you go to bed. Most people can't do that. Some children have this luxury, anyone above 18 normally doesn't.

I wouldn't be surprised at this point if LA hadn't intentionally leaked info WAY back when we first heard of this idea, merely to get some fans thinking it was a good idea. The only reason I will look at this game will be BioWare. BioWare convinced me to buy an Xbox 360 to play Mass Effect, and they may convince me to pick up more hours at my work so that I can spend a few in the world of ToR. That is IF it looks AMAZING and not just "good."

Tommycat
10-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Quick point here. Not only are you going to give a company that has shown time and again that it follows the "richest route" never listening to its fans the benefit of the doubt, but your going to take their word as truth as well? Good luck with that.

Fact is, I have enjoyed Bioware games. So far I haven't been disappointed. That's who I'm giving the benefit of the doubt. Unless I have reason to think otherwise, I'll trust them enough to make an enjoyable game. I can decide within the free month I get whether the game is worth paying a monthly fee for. I'm not going to say outright that I will be playing on a permanent basis. The game has to be compelling enough to WANT to play. I've bought plenty of games that I paid good money for, and later found out weren't worth the CD they were printed on. This wouldn't be much different if that is the case.

As for the time consumption: Wow's statistics show the average age to be in their 30's your point of children being the only ones with time on their hands is out of line. In fact, it might be even more compelling for families to get multiple accounts so that the family can play together, or they may just share an account between them.

The economy:
Things are rough now, but how many people have other monthly entertainment bills. People spend money on cable, renting electronics, game rentals(gamefly), movie rentals(Netflicks), or they even spend money on purchasing the movies(2-3 hours of entertainment at $20 sounds like less of a deal than $15 for hundreds of hours).

Prime
10-27-2008, 10:30 AM
What is so disappointing with an MMO? After all, a change is nice every now and then.What if it is something you don't want changed in the first place to something that you don't like?

LordOfTheFish
10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
What if it is something you don't want changed in the first place to something that you don't like?

Well I guess that just one's opinion. Maybe LA's opinion is more in favor with a MMO.

Lance Monance
10-29-2008, 01:57 PM
You apparently haven't listened to the press releases. That is the reason their writing staff is huge. They have said that most MMO's miss that 4th pillar of an immersive story. Everyone told them that they couldn't do that in an MMO and that was something they struggled with the most. It meant they had to work harder to achieve that.

What you're saying is essentially true and I acknowledge that. We can't tell with any degree of certainty at this point.

However..MMOs do not revolve around a story like SRPGs do. In SRPGs you need a story and immersion to motivate people, in MMOs you don't. MMOs are about interaction with other players, that's why they are MMOs. To me, the simple fact that there are other players in the game diminishes immersion. That's an entirely subjective preference ofc, but I think it is not unreasonable to assert that games that focus on story tend to be better storywise than games that focus on story and OTHER things.

There's a first for everything. And because no MMO has succeeded so far in creating an solid story, doesn't mean this one won't.
I'm not interested in a "solid" story. I prefer a great story that fully immerses me into the game.

I expected a continuation of Knights of the old Republic. I didn't want a change. Therefore I'm disappointed.

Well I guess that just one's opinion. Maybe LA's opinion is more in favor with a MMO.
Well guess what, you're correct! But I don't think they approached this decision with thinking "Hm.. what would I prefer to play?"....

Miltiades
10-29-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm not interested in a "solid" story. I prefer a great story that fully immerses me into the game. Then let me change my "solid story" into "a great story that fully immerses people into the game".

Lance Monance
10-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Well in that case what I wrote earlier applies. ;)

Miltiades
10-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Well in that case what I wrote earlier applies. ;) And in that case, so does mine. ;)

Tommycat
10-29-2008, 10:33 PM
However..MMOs do not revolve around a story like SRPGs do. In SRPGs you need a story and immersion to motivate people, in MMOs you don't. MMOs are about interaction with other players, that's why they are MMOs. To me, the simple fact that there are other players in the game diminishes immersion. That's an entirely subjective preference ofc, but I think it is not unreasonable to assert that games that focus on story tend to be better storywise than games that focus on story and OTHER things.

They likened it to New York and all of the superheros there(Marvel comics). Basically if any one of them doesn't show up that day the world is doomed. You could be on your own quest and not see another person except maybe in passing as they are off to do their own quest. He also said that they designed the game around people who don't like MMO's. He also made sure to mention that 40% of MMO gamers don't like other people. But still it's too early. They could just be blowing smoke. Raising up their MMO as any good marketing staff would do.

I dunno, maybe I'm just listening to more news than most are. I heard the recording of the Q and A portion of the announcement. Aside from "We're not talking about that" Story and immersion were the most common themes.

Jae Onasi
10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
As for the time consumption: Wow's statistics show the average age to be in their 30's your point of children being the only ones with time on their hands is out of line. In fact, it might be even more compelling for families to get multiple accounts so that the family can play together, or they may just share an account between them.

We have 4 Guild Wars accounts now so that we can play together as a family. It cost us a fair amount (though we got the latter 2 accounts on sale as the prices came down), but less than the cost of going to the movies 3 times as a family. Instead of family game night around the kitchen table, we have family game night on the computers. I'm hoping TOR has a family discount....

Tommycat
10-29-2008, 11:00 PM
We have 4 Guild Wars accounts now so that we can play together as a family. It cost us a fair amount (though we got the latter 2 accounts on sale as the prices came down), but less than the cost of going to the movies 3 times as a family. Instead of family game night around the kitchen table, we have family game night on the computers. I'm hoping TOR has a family discount....

Haha if you count in the 4 large sodas at movie theater prices and the popcorn for the kids(and usually a shared one for the adults) the cost of a movie out is more expensive than a month of gaming at an online MMO.

Tickets around $30(if the kids are young enough....)
Drinks/Treats/headache medicine(might not be your kids, but other kids)/therapy bill.... Definately more than $30

So the monthly comes out cheaper for an online game than one night at the movies... at worst 2 nights at the movies.

I hope the have a family discount too Jae. It would make for more people playing.

Arcesious
10-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I wanted a singleplayer RPG. Every MMO I've played, (always just trial versions) I have to deal with annoying players, server lag, and the overall disappointment of the fact that there would be monthly payments if I decided to keep playing...

When I play an RPG, I want to be away from human contact. If it's an FPS like Halo 1-3, I want multiplayer. Multiplayer has always ruined my brief MMO gaming experiences. That and this game just isn't what I was hoping for. I just wanted to be Revan again, and go another exciting adventure. Thusly, why I'm not going to even try this game... (Also because I highly doubt my computer can handle the graphics.)

I'm willing to buy a well-made SPRPG for as much as $50. But monthly payments for an MMO where I'm stuck playing as a 'nobody' isn't my idea of fun and adventure.

I've always loved those moments in the first Kotor, where it's really just spectacular and fun, the storyline that made me really feel part of the game.

But in an MMO, I'm forced to be a nobody. Even if this game has a great stroyline, I know that it would be ruined by a hundred morons coming in and yelling all the typical stuff: "noob, pwned, owned, [insert leetspeak]," etc, etc.

[/rant]

Darth333
10-30-2008, 12:14 AM
SP for me, mainly for the storyline and also because I don't have time to loose playing online games. I like to play games where I want (I don't necessarily always have access to the net), when I want/can (sometimes just a few hours per month) and how I want (mods and cheats...I won't restart a char just to try out, for the sake of curiosity, those force powers I would have never chosen anyway). L33tspeak and running after xp don't interest me.

Weiser_Cain
11-01-2008, 04:20 AM
I prefer the NWN style of Multiplayer.

Serpentine Cougar
11-02-2008, 09:53 AM
I would have preferred single-player as well. Single-player makes me feel more in control of the game. Also, I somehow doubt that even Bioware can make an MMO with a story as good as some single-player RPGs. And to keep an MMORPG going they'll have to keep the conflict going without resolution, which is one of the key elements of a story. They won't be able to make the Jedi or the Sith win the conflict or they'd make all the players of that faction mad.

This is one game I'm not looking forward to. MMO's just ain't mah thang.

GeneralPloKoon
11-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I would rather play a singleplayer game than this....

Soulouri
11-03-2008, 05:05 AM
from the KOTOR universe point of view, I would perfer single player by a long way.

From an MMO point of view, i've been wanting a new Star Wars MMO for a long time and can't think of anything better than it being based on KOTOR.