PDA

View Full Version : Didn't learn from NGE?

Nedak
10-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Looks like bioware didn't learn from the NGE?

Choose to be a Jedi, a Sith, or from a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, and make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force.

Yayy another "I pwnz ur arse wif diz litesaberz" game.

gstommylee
10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Umm this is in the Old republic era where Jedi were a commonplace. Star Wars Galaxis was during the civil war era. Two differnet games.

Nedak
10-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Yes, but in this case most of the servers will be full of Jedi. It will be unbalanced if they do it this way.

gstommylee
10-21-2008, 07:26 PM
The game is not even out yet cause they just announced it.

Nedak
10-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Of course, these are just predictions. I'm not saying it will be this way, I'm just saying "what ifs".

Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Umm this is in the Old republic era where Jedi were a commonplace. Star Wars Galaxis was during the civil war era. Two differnet games.

So? The server proportions would still be completely "unrealistic" in Star Wars terms. Doesn't matter what era. Still no complete details, and obviously people were gonna be able to be Jedi and Sith, so I'm not worried yet. People will ask questions about it, and they'll be answered.

Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Dude, I played SWG, Jedi definatley did not have an advantage. If anything, the only time they were actually compitent was when they were at a higher level.

Besides, Sony is probably crying right now, as 10,000 people are cancelling their subscriptions.

gstommylee
10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Da_Man_2423 Good point so we shall see and find out.

Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I played SWG too. Around every corner was another unrealistically high amount of Jedi. Perhaps you had a better server.

Nedak
10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Dude, I played SWG, Jedi definatley did not have an advantage. If anything, the only time they were actually compitent was when they were at a higher level.

You must be thinking of a different SWG. ahaha

Swanea
10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Obviously a game barely in alpha should have people whining about jedi being better than everyone else at everything in the game, even if its standing there doing nothing!

Jeff
10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
They said other classes will be able to match Jedi, citing Boba Fett and General Grevious as examples.

Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 07:37 PM
They said other classes will be able to match Jedi, citing Boba Fett and General Grevious as examples.

But is that gonna change people's minds and make them want to be other classes? No, I think. Not enough to make a noticeable difference, at least.

Jeff
10-21-2008, 07:43 PM
That is true, I will probably still play a Jedi as my first character. However they have said each class has an individual story, so I imagine I will want to try the other classes as well to experience all the story the game has to offer.

Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
But is that gonna change people's minds and make them want to be other classes? No, I think. Not enough to make a noticeable difference, at least.

I don't even want to be a Jedi. I enjoyed being a Bounty Hunter and Commando better.

And if they announce a Mandalorian Faction? That speaks for itself.

Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't even want to be a Jedi. I enjoyed being a Bounty Hunter and Commando better.

Still hold strong to my belief there.

Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Heres one of the things that I liked that proved that they learned from the NGE

Quote:

4:41 Scooter "Darth Vader will never talk to a farmer to get a quest to fix a tractor"

Hopefully this means they're reforming the "intensity" and stupidity of quests.

Char Ell
10-21-2008, 07:53 PM
At least in the time period TOR is set in there are supposed to be a lot of Jedi and Sith, unlike SWG.

Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 07:55 PM
At least in the time period TOR is set in there are supposed to be a lot of Jedi and Sith, unlike SWG.

I hope no one is using that as an excuse for the server proportions of Jedi and Sith. Yeah, there can be more, but still not billions like in SWG. [/exaggeration]

SW01
10-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I would love the opportunity to play as a Sith Naval Commander of some sort, but the inevitable preponderance of and preference for Jedi/Sith characters is something that concerns me - I don't particularly fancy the idea of carefully building my character up only to be assaulted by a few hundred Jedi.

Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Has space combat even been confirmed?

Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, there can be more, but still not billions like in SWG. [/exaggeration]

Considering theres only about 10,000 people playing SWG now...:D

I believe there will be space combat.

TheSithEmperor
10-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Who gives a ****. Let me play as a sith lord. Or a Wookie Jedi!:)

Char Ell
10-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I hope no one is using that as an excuse for the server proportions of Jedi and Sith. Yeah, there can be more, but still not billions like in SWG. [/exaggeration] I hope you're not proposing that BioWare and LucasArts limit the number of players that can choose to be Jedi or Sith. If they're going to make those classes available at character creation then everybody should be able to select those.

*** Logs into TOR server ***
Message from server: Sorry. The quota of Jedi and Sith on this server has been exceeded. Please choose another character class.

LOL. I don't think so.

Sure, in all likelihood there will be a lot more Jedi/Sith characters than non-force sensitives but hopefully BioWare and LucasArts realize that and are designing the game accordingly. Only time will tell how that works out.

Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Remember, Boba Fett killed a ton of Jedi, and almost killed Vader...

Who gives a ****. Let me play as a sith lord. Or a Wookie Jedi!:)

You my friend, provide an example of what people are afraid of.

Nedak
10-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I just want Jedi to be hard to achieve. Everyone should start as a non-force sensitive like in all the KOTOR games.

I'd like to be a Jedi but I also know so many other people will be one as well. Unless they do something to make it not that way.

TheSithEmperor
10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
You my friend, provide an example of what people are afraid of.

Awww:( Come on i won't bite:D

Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
I hope they do something about being able to change classes. Some people in SWG just leveled with the easiest class, then switched to a Jedi because they had a ridiculous amount of credits, which was a little annoying...

Awww:( Come on i won't bite:D

I'm not hating against you, I was just saying.

Like your avatar by the way.

Yar-El
10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
I would love the opportunity to play as a Sith Naval Commander of some sort, but the inevitable preponderance of and preference for Jedi/Sith characters is something that concerns me - I don't particularly fancy the idea of carefully building my character up only to be assaulted by a few hundred Jedi. Isn't that the risk of playing MMOs. You put in long hours of game time, and then someone more powerful kills you. You can't save in this game; thus, you will have to play the game all over again. I like progress that is saveable. Putting 20 hours into progressing the game and suddenly getting killed is not my style. All your sidequests will be wiped out. Yuck!

I'm waiting for more details. We could be missing something about having no saves.

Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Isn't that the risk of playing MMOs. You put in long hours of game time, and then someone more powerful kills you. You can't save in this game; thus, you will have to play the game all over again.

Im pretty sure you don't have to start the ENTIRE game all over again. You probably just start from a certain point, or spot.

Yar-El
10-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Im pretty sure you don't have to start the ENTIRE game all over again. You probably just start from a certain point, or spot. They were talking about accidently killing your companions. It was mented that you can't go back and reset things. What is done is done.

Nedak
10-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Have you ever played an MMO Yar-El?

EDIT: ^ Where do you see that? You're saying there will be perma-death?

Yar-El
10-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Have you ever played an MMO Yar-El?

EDIT: ^ Where do you see that? You're saying there will be perma-death? 1up's liveblog Scooter was reporting what one of the developer had said.

No. I have never played a MMO.

Ultimate Vader
10-21-2008, 08:19 PM
If the Mandalorian armor is like Jango Fett's armor, then I'll play as Mandalorian (if there's Mandalorian faction). If not, I'll play as Sith (coz I like Vader so much).

Nice avatars, Razgriz1928 and TheSithEmperor.

Nedak
10-21-2008, 08:19 PM
1up's liveblog Scooter was reporting what one of the developer had said.

No. I have never played a MMO.

Hmm, we'll probably hear more about that.

Also in MMOS a character doesn't "die". Well a character does but it doesn't effect them at all, they just "respawn".

In most MMOS when you die either your armor is damaged or you lose some items.

Yar-El
10-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I reedited and added this to my previous post -
4:31 Scooter: Choices that matter is another bullet point on his powerpoint

4:31 Scooter: WHO LIVES, WHO DIES is the kind of stuff you will experience, depending on your class

4:31 Scooter: there is no savekey

4:32 Scooter: your choices can't be undone or taken back like in old bioware games

4:32 Scooter: if you kill one of your companions, you cant quickload, your decision stands

4:32 Scooter: difference between morality and faction is a big theme

Ultimate Vader
10-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Hmm, we'll probably hear more about that.

Also in MMOS a character doesn't "die". Well a character does but it doesn't effect them at all, they just "respawn".

In most MMOS when you die either your armor is damaged or you lose some items.

In RF, yes. But we don't know much about this MMO.

TheSithEmperor
10-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Thats for companions, the charecter you play won't die permamently. The death system will be probably similiar to other MMOs for the charecter you play.

Nedak
10-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I reedited and added this to my previous post -

I believe that was talking about as far as dark and lightside points, not death.

Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 08:31 PM
@Ultimate Vader

Yes, the Famous Darth Vader "Nooooooo!" Scene, based on an Ipod :XP:

@Yar-El

No where does it stay that when you die, your dead or you relapse to the beggining of your journey. If that was the case, then what your decisions do really don't affect you.

Yar-El
10-21-2008, 08:31 PM
We need more information. Wait and see approach.

Scars Unseen
10-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Well I will say this. There is absolutely no point in making the jedi class "hard" to get to. In the end, even if the method is hidden, it will be found out and displayed on websites. Once that happens, everyone that wants to play a jedi will go to whatever effort necessary to play it. Instead of everyone playing jedi and possibly interacting with the world, they will be grinding to become a jedi and completely ignoring the world.

If anything, you would be guaranteeing that the majority of people playing jedi would fall into the younger age groups with more time on their hands than older, possibly more mature players that have to balance playing with work and family life. I personally don't want to play a jedi if certain other(Mandalorian or Echani) options are available, yet I still don't like the idea of the option being unavailable to me simply because I don't have the time to grind out 5000 holocrons or whatever.

I think the true lesson that should be learned from the NGE is that if you are piloting a ship full of paying customers to England, you should not decide to change course for Portugal when you're halfway there. The ship was obviously full of people that like England or else they wouldn't have paid you to go there.

Da_Man_2423
10-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Well I will say this. There is absolutely no point in making the jedi class "hard" to get to. In the end, even if the method is hidden, it will be found out and displayed on websites. Once that happens, everyone that wants to play a jedi will go to whatever effort necessary to play it. Instead of everyone playing jedi and possibly interacting with the world, they will be grinding to become a jedi and completely ignoring the world.

There doesn't need to be a specific, secret "method" to finding out how to be one, the process of simply being a Jedi just shouldn't be so simple and easy. But don't worry, it will be, and we'll be plagued with the same problems from Galaxies.

RyuuKage
10-22-2008, 04:09 PM

Considering the Jedi Order was wiped out less than three-hundred years earlier, I have trouble believing that Jedi are out in nearly as high numbers as Sith.

Scars Unseen
10-22-2008, 04:17 PM
300 years is plenty of time to rebuild the order, given adequate Republic support. It only takes a generation to get a fresh supply of force sensitives and if the sith can rebuild their order from nothing but holocrons and/or force ghosts, there is no reason to believe that the jedi couldn't do the same, especially since they wouldn't have to do so in secret. Hell, Luke did it within his lifetime with a still active empire trying to kill him.

Or, if you prefer, you could just say that the surviving jedi bent the rules and started a jedi harem to mass produce force sensitive babies. Whatever works for you.

RyuuKage
10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Or, if you prefer, you could just say that the surviving jedi bent the rules and started a jedi harem to mass produce force sensitive babies. Whatever works for you.

alternatively, Mira could've taught all the new Padawans the basics of hunting down mates...just don't forget to check their bounties. :D

CrisG
10-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Waiting to see what will be unveiled...at this point just about everything still remains to be seen. :) I am guessing seeing how smart and good Biowar is and how well Lucas tries to support both the story AND the community it will be fine in all respects.

adamqd
10-22-2008, 05:13 PM
I got the same when I play SWG, Oh god nother Jedaai :(

Dont care, I play these games to be a Jedi, I like Jedi, I pay $14 a month, I'll do what the hell I like, 200k other players do the same? so be it, there choice too

Ztalker
10-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Exactly...and according to Bioware, you're the hero, so f*ck it :xp:

Plis, there will be multiple servers I guess, so it won't be like...millions of Jedi running around.
The other jobs will be needed to. I remember the great Guild Wars Monk draught of '05. Dang what a terrible time....

Jae Onasi
10-22-2008, 05:45 PM
If it's PvE, it doesn't matter how many Jedi there are--it's still you against the universe rather than you against all the griefers and n00bs.

In PvP, as long as they balance the skill sets and create a level playing field, it won't matter how many Jedi there are.

Web Rider
10-22-2008, 06:14 PM
exactly, limiting the numbers or not allowing it at all is kinda taking away the only thing that makes Star Wars games unique. You can be a robot, a commando, a ninja, in just about every other game on the market. What makes Star Wars unique is crazy powers and glowing beat sticks. As long as two players of equitable levels can have a equivocal battle, ie: not where some guy stuns you and 3 hits later you're dead, then it's all good.

golddon
10-22-2008, 06:52 PM

Man after my own heart

Long live Commando/BH

John Galt
10-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Well, if we go along with Darth Revan's theory that the true battles were fought between the Jedi and/or Jedi Hunters of each faction, and that the larger conflicts hinged on these battles, one could easily justify this in PvP terms, as the classes would be designed and balanced around fighting/disabling enemy jedi, therefore making regular soldiers little more than cannonfodder to the extremely skilled/powerful player characters.

corcore
10-23-2008, 04:12 AM
There doesn't need to be a specific, secret "method" to finding out how to be one, the process of simply being a Jedi just shouldn't be so simple and easy.

I agree. Jedi and Sith players should have a different experience. Since the life of a Jedi is about sacrifice, make them give up something, like mission rewards or something. All a Jedi needs in life is a lightsaber and enough credits to buy food, shelter, and transport when necessary anyways.

As for Sith, since they constantly betray each other, players should be able to attack them without warning at anytime, even from fellow Sith. The Sith should have to compete for prestige, which would encourage them to fight each other.

I would be all for a "Forceless" server, where the only Jedi and Sith are npc companions.

SW01
10-23-2008, 09:49 AM
I agree. Jedi and Sith players should have a different experience. Since the life of a Jedi is about sacrifice, make them give up something, like mission rewards or something.

As for Sith, since they constantly betray each other, players should be able to attack them without warning at anytime, even from fellow Sith. The Sith should have to compete for prestige, which would encourage them to fight each other.

A good suggestion, that to become the most powerful (probably) classes, you have some large drawback to weigh against the benefit. However, I think the Sith variant will be unlikely, as it could badly unbalance the game to the detriment of the Sith Empire faction.

Justus
10-23-2008, 04:06 PM

Yeah that's how I felt in SWG. I never wanted to be a Jedi, and never became one. Mainly because I simply refused to do the hologrind, and I really didn't want to grind professions I really didn't want to play as. I loved my Master Pistoleer/Master Commando.

Good point about the Mandalorian faction...haven't thought about that... and if they do announce something like that sign me up ASAP.