PDA

View Full Version : Oversized Hilts

Pwnzor326
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Does any of the overly huge lightsaber hilts bother anyone else but me....

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/star-wars-the-old-republic-2/1113629/

Ultimate Vader
10-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey, you avy's cool. Long live the Mandalore!
Doesn't look huge to me.

SW01
10-23-2008, 09:58 PM
It's not just you. They are hideous. And ridiculous looking. But, hopefully that's just a working concept, like the rest of the comic-book cartoony graphics. Also, note that the hilts look exactly the same. Hopefully that will vanish in favour of a more streamlined, more compact, and more individual set of models in due course.

LordOfTheFish
10-23-2008, 09:58 PM
I think it's just the art style. Doesn't really bother me...

Pikmin
10-23-2008, 10:32 PM
The team is still trying to find the right balance between making the lightsabers big enough to be noticed but not so big that they're distracting. Whatever they settle on, they're firmly committed to the idea that you ought to be able to read a character or a scene in just a glance.

from day 3 of the exclusive IGN info.

SW01
10-23-2008, 10:39 PM
So they're going for something in-between TSL size hilts and the 'Pringles-can'? Seems fair - Just thinking back to the OT - the hilts there were relatively big, though the PT versions may not have been...

I'm looking forward to seeing some updated screenshots as the months (please not years:() pass in development.

True_Avery
10-23-2008, 10:48 PM
They are attempting to create a weapon that can been identified immediately when you come in contact with the person. As in, there will be multiple lightsabers that do different things and different damage and knowing what you are up against is needed to survive.

Now, while they might have gone over the top, I get what they are trying to do. Its why you see so many exaggerated weapons in MMOs: You need to know what is going on.

I appreciate the thought, but the execution needs work.

Tommycat
10-23-2008, 11:34 PM
They are attempting to create a weapon that can been identified immediately when you come in contact with the person. As in, there will be multiple lightsabers that do different things and different damage and knowing what you are up against is needed to survive.

Now, while they might have gone over the top, I get what they are trying to do. Its why you see so many exaggerated weapons in MMOs: You need to know what is going on.

Yup agreed. I don't want to wonder if he's carrying a lightsaber or a mortar launcher.

Fredi
10-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Man they are horrible!, but well, what can we do? lol.

Scars Unseen
10-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Man they are horrible!, but well, what can we do? lol.

Use a blaster. Random? Maybe. Clumsy? Maybe to jetiise scum. They sure do get the job done though.

Fredi
10-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Use a blaster. Random? Maybe. Clumsy? Maybe to jetiise scum. They sure do get the job done though.
Hmmm yeah, I'm switching, I'm going to use the blaster.:D

DarthParametric
10-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Having spent some time of late doing hilt mods for KOTOR, my guess is the motivation behind this is they plan on customisable hilts and thus want you to actually be able to see it. In KOTOR the hilts are so small that custom hilts are pretty much a waste of time as you really can't appreciate the detail. They've taken it a tad too far with the vacuum thermos-sized hilts though.

Sabretooth
10-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Strange, I didn't notice that. Well it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, and as Avery says, it must be for gameplay reasons. They may even put it into the canon in some way, maybe something like when exiled to Tython, the Jedi started constructing a different sort of lightsabers.

Mav
10-24-2008, 01:21 AM
As someone who used to make models for KotOR, these hilts in the concepts don't please me at all, there are other ways to make hilts recognizable beyond turning them into Maglites...

Web Rider
10-24-2008, 01:44 AM
I agree that there is no excuse to make them the size of the guy's thigh. I'd like to see them at half that size at most. I don't really care if you can tell that it's "Frutiy McNutters Saber of Smashing" or "+1 Saber of Overcompensation", I find fun in the surprise.

PaintOnASign
10-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Yeah, no point bashing art style or 3D models yet. This is all early concept stuff. Not saying that it WILL change, but the odds are definitely in your favor.

adamqd
10-24-2008, 04:39 AM
I think it's just the art style. Doesn't really bother me...

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I hear a lot of "It doesn't REALLY bother me" or "I can live with that". I want a complete game, an awesome game, the best it can be, while in this early stage we need say exactly what we want, because something as permanent and important as the graphic style, will not be changed when it's released, lets not beat around the bush, the cartoony superhero style, bites... so bad, it's not even funny

Tommycat
10-24-2008, 04:47 AM
Yeah, no point bashing art style or 3D models yet. This is all early concept stuff. Not saying that it WILL change, but the odds are definitely in your favor.

Actually now is the best time to point out that we dislike something before it becomes locked in. Graphical stylings like this are going to be hard to change(if not impossible) after this goes live. The saber... seems like someone is compensating for something....

SW01
10-24-2008, 08:56 AM
I think it would create some amusing situations if they were harder to see - get some trainee Jedi out to level up by killing other players, thinks he's come across a bounty hunter or soldier, and get royally beaten by a higher level Sith, all because he didn't take the ime to look for the sabre hilt!:xp:

Obviously, that won't happen with an oversize novelty sabre...

Ctrl Alt Del
10-24-2008, 10:06 AM

Completely. One would think that the distinct coloured beam atop the hilt makes a lightsaber easily recognisable, though.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I hear a lot of "It doesn't REALLY bother me" or "I can live with that". I want a complete game, an awesome game, the best it can be, while in this early stage we need say exactly what we want, because something as permanent and important as the graphic style, will not be changed when it's released, lets not beat around the bush, the cartoony superhero style, bites... so bad, it's not even funny
Amen. Let's please stop accepting mediocrity already.

sarpedon2
10-24-2008, 03:27 PM
The size bothers me but still if its early stuff then I expect it to change. I just want to see archaic lightsaber. The ones with power packs (for nostalgia purposes)

Ctrl Alt Del
10-24-2008, 03:37 PM
The size bothers me but still if its early stuff then I expect it to change. I just want to see archaic lightsaber. The ones with power packs (for nostalgia purposes)

But it wouldn't make much sense, would it? After all, even during KotOR they already used standard lightsabers.

John Galt
10-24-2008, 03:38 PM

QFE

I was hoping for an art style that was pretty much identical to KotOR and TSL; it's as much a part of the franchise as the "cartoony" appearence is a part of the Warcraft universe.

True_Avery
10-24-2008, 03:56 PM
What can I say? I'm a cynic. I have never and will never have high expectations for a game, and am willing to ignore things that would otherwise hinder my experience in the game.

WoW, on hindsight, is a pretty poor game. I just ignored most of the flaws in favor of what I liked and enjoyed, and came to terms with things that I'd like to see happen but were unlikely.

I'd like to see a graphics change, but if the game turns out to be fun I can ignore the style and focus on the parts of the game that suck me in.

Jeff
10-24-2008, 04:17 PM
I hope they will be changed by the time the game is shipped, but I did not think about the fact that they need to be recognizable. Weapons are very oversized in WoW and it makes it easy to identify each weapon without having to look at it's name.

tKon
10-24-2008, 04:50 PM
They're alpha shots, I'm pretty sure they won't stay that way. People get way too worked up over such small things.

adamqd
10-25-2008, 11:26 AM
lol, it's kinda a big thing, people will be playing this because it's KotOR related, so "The graphics are cartoony and crap, and have no relation to the great style of K1+2, but the community and housing are great" Is irrelevant to a lot of people.

Miltiades
10-25-2008, 11:40 AM
They're alpha shots, I'm pretty sure they won't stay that way. People get way too worked up over such small things. They won't stay that way, no. The developers, however, will make the lightsabers big enough to be noticed. I hope they find the balance.

jonathan7
10-25-2008, 12:31 PM
They won't stay that way, no. The developers, however, will make the lightsabers big enough to be noticed. I hope they find the balance.

QFT - Lightsabers are such an important start of Star Wars, this project does look very interesting; but so much of it is about getting balance right - even to small things like this.

tKon
10-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Maybe for you guys, I won't be going Jedi or Sith for the obvious rush of them at launch. Hopefully I can be some sort of brawler w/ a vibro lance.

Miltiades
10-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Maybe for you guys, I won't be going Jedi or Sith for the obvious rush of them at launch. Hopefully I can be some sort of brawler w/ a vibro lance. Of course. And that's the cool part of it, people choosing different classes except Jedi & Sith. But like J7 said, balancing is needed in every aspect of the game, and the smallest thing can influence how we play or see the game. I'm also sure that the artistic style of the games isn't restricted to lightsabers, but will find it's way to Vibroblades and other melee and ranged weapons, too.

playloud
10-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Yeah, no point bashing art style or 3D models yet. This is all early concept stuff. Not saying that it WILL change, but the odds are definitely in your favor.Actually now is the best time to point out that we dislike something before it becomes locked in. Graphical stylings like this are going to be hard to change(if not impossible) after this goes live. The saber... seems like someone is compensating for something....
Absolutely. Now is the best time to voice our thoughts, and I wouldn't stop with forum posts. I would send emails to Lucasarts and Bioware (just like lots of fans emailed Fox to keep T:SCC on the air, and succeeded). If they don't get their inbox flooded, they will just read posts from the few people who like the new stupid look, and say "we have received mostly positive reactions", which of course is BS. What they need now is a good splash of ice water in their face. Star Wars fans are PICKY! They must realize this. We know what lightsabers look like, and that's what we want. We are the people you are going to be selling this game to. When we say we want a true SW look, we mean it. It breaks the immersion to do it any other way.

This is Star Wars. The size of lightsabers has long been established. We had have 6 movies. We have even had two games in the OR time period. We know what they look like. Any attempts to alter their size to make them distinguishable, will just make them look... WRONG!

In K1 and K2, it was what was on the INSIDE (crystals, etc) that counted.

Looking at the size of your opponents lightsaber is a stupid way to gauge his strength. Who had the smallest lightsaber in the movies? Yoda did. Judge him by his size, do you?

MBCommander
10-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Well put, playloud ;p

Pwnzor326
10-26-2008, 02:58 PM
I don't mind the art style but man those hilts are so clunky looking it looks like hes getting ready to fight a Sith with a wiffle bat.

Miltiades
10-27-2008, 12:36 PM
BioWare is strongly committed to its community and we look at all the issues brought up consistently in the forums, including the size of the lightsabers. At this point, the screenshots are a really limited representation of both the characters and the weapons in the game, so if you keep checking back you'll get a better idea of what the game looks like.

Again, we are reading these forums, and your concerns will be discussed, but I should point out that the blog this thread refers to twisted Jeff Dobson's words a bit. Jeff did say lightsabers would be customizable and that higher level weapons should look cooler than lower level weapons, but nowhere did he suggest that the paradigm for how to make lightsabers look cooler was as simple as making them larger.

The spirit of the Star Wars movies is important to us, and we're not going to just ignore that. Arguably, one of the coolest lightsabers in the movies was Count Dooku's with the curved hilt. I'm not sure if it was smaller than average, but it certainly wasn't larger. We want higher level lightsabers to look better aesthetically. We'll make an effort to show you what we're talking about as soon as we can.

Comment in the SWTOR Community. As some of you may know, R. Chestney is a former member of the design team and a senior writer, now part of the Moderation team.

Nedak
10-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I would just like them to release new screenshots to put my mind at ease..

Miltiades
10-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I would just like them to release new screenshots to put my mind at ease.. We all, mate. :) I'm not sure our minds will be put to ease, though. They already stated their aim was to have large weapons (not only lightsabers). Let's hope it stays to a minimum.

Nedak
10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
We all, mate. :) I'm not sure our minds will be put to ease, though. They already stated their aim was to have large weapons (not only lightsabers). Let's hope it stays to a minimum.

After reading the quote you posted I think they were saying they wanted them to look unique, not bigger.

plokoon87
10-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Yeah looking at the screenshots from the websites, they do look very big, and rather cartoonish as some have already pointed out. One would think that Bioware would have learned from KOTOR 1 and Obsidian's TSL that the hilts included in those games were BORING! They were ALL THE SAME HILT! Of course thank goodness for FileFront, where people can share better hilts with the rest of us. I know this game is in the development stages and I do hope that they fix that, and I'm sure they will. I just hope that they use a Jedi Outcast/Academy type combat system, and that the game is not expensive to play, i mean c'mon, most of us wanted a KOTOR III, including myself, but you know what? This game looks good, this game looks sweet, and I hope we don't have to pay an arm and a leg in access fees. I personally think that it is stupid to charge access fees anyway, but then again, I am not the designer...

M@RS
10-28-2008, 11:36 PM
What the... Those are huge, if they want the hilts to be noticeable, why not paint them in neon colors, don't make them the size of 3 Soda Cans stacked on eachother...

Rev7
10-29-2008, 12:04 AM
I personally don't like them very much.

DarthJacen
10-29-2008, 04:41 AM
Me neither, I want a more anatomically correct game engine. Star Wars Galaxies was never lacking in graphical design. It is many things, but it still is one of the best looking MMOs, I've seen. Yes, I still play it. It's not bad for a while. But, there is no roleplaying in that game. It's mostly pve or pvp. People communicate with one another over Ventrilo. Since, everyone can hear each other's voice, it becomes impossible to get into character.

This game should be different, but please fix the cartoony graphics. I already have to put up with the design of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, a very good television series, so far, but the it's still, too cartoony in design.

Miltiades
10-29-2008, 10:24 AM
After reading the quote you posted I think they were saying they wanted them to look unique, not bigger. They want to make them unique and bigger. There's some other interview where it's stated that they definitely want the lightsabers and weapons to be bigger than normal. Here's the quote:

We're actually still tweaking that. That said, we do want the weapons to feel just a little bit oversized. We're always trying to think about that "show off" factor. We definitely don't want to make them too small and miss out on that show-off factor.

Nedak
10-29-2008, 04:18 PM
That's stupid in that case..

Lance Monance
10-29-2008, 05:14 PM
This is Star Wars. The size of lightsabers has long been established. We had have 6 movies. We have even had two games in the OR time period. We know what they look like. Any attempts to alter their size to make them distinguishable, will just make them look... WRONG!

QFT/E.

But it seems like that's a price that has to be paid in order to have it the MMO way. :xp:

Pwnzor326
10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
At least this guy's hilt is normal

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/bioware-mmo-project/images/bioware-mmo-project-untitled-20081021113619600.html

adamqd
10-31-2008, 08:48 AM
that's still pretty Torch like though, I'd rather have a plain piece of pipe that's a reasonable size than an ornate pringles can

Lance Monance
10-31-2008, 02:12 PM
And how am I supposed to find out that it's "Darth Malak's Lightsaber of Overpowering Strength +15" you're wielding then? :xp:

SW01
10-31-2008, 02:19 PM
At least this guy's hilt is normal

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/bioware-mmo-project/images/bioware-mmo-project-untitled-20081021113619600.html

Looks quite similar to the lightsabre Ewan McGregor used as Kenobi in Ep.I (with the wider bit at the base). I'd very much prefer that design to the Pringles tin of death.

Pwnzor326
11-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Looks quite similar to the lightsabre Ewan McGregor used as Kenobi in Ep.I (with the wider bit at the base). I'd very much prefer that design to the Pringles tin of death.
Hahaha Pringles of death..........this screenshot makes me happy though maybe there is gonna be at least an option for normal sized hilts. Also he has some pretty bamf jedi robes/amour.

Jeff
11-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Hahaha Pringles of death..........this screenshot makes me happy though maybe there is gonna be at least an option for normal sized hilts. Also he has some pretty bamf jedi robes/amour.

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/bioware-mmo-project/images/bioware-mmo-project-untitled-20081021113619600.htmlThat is concept art, not a screenshot. All the screenshots of lightsabers we have seen have been huge.

Darth_vilas
11-01-2008, 07:12 PM
He looks a little like a mandolorian, and that is something I don't like.
I hope they will scale them down a bit.

GwannaSauna
11-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Bring back the Snickers-size lightsaber hilts! These thermos cans don't cut it!

Web Rider
11-02-2008, 12:26 AM
If they want you to be able to recognize the weapon, they can always add glowy effects, but personally, I'm really hoping to upgradable weapons like KOTOR has so that even two players with the Best Beatstick Blade in the Universe can still have notably different weapons.

Weiser_Cain
11-02-2008, 05:01 AM
I'd think when a plasma beam shot out of one end you'd get the hint. Yes, I really want them to cut back on the number of doubleblade hilts there are like say a mid level quest or if we construct our hilts by skill requirement (crap! ruined another set of crystals!).

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
11-04-2008, 02:30 AM
blegh. i find the pringles of death kinda annoying (but i love pringles!:xp:) and i hope they make them look better in the final release. i always liked the thin sabers. the ones in all the other sw media look great imo. these things look like they're 6kg. maybe GL wanted to bring back his old idea about lightsabers being really heavy, and sent special word to the developers. :lol:
in sw eu, jedi hid their lightsabers to be subtle. imagine hiding those things in your robes. why couldnt they just have them hanging off the belt?

Weiser_Cain
11-04-2008, 02:56 AM
http://kotaku.com/5075263/biowares-halloweeners-mock-their-own-giant-lightsabers

SW01
11-04-2008, 11:27 AM
http://kotaku.com/5075263/biowares-halloweeners-mock-their-own-giant-lightsabers

:lol:

Hopefully they realise how much we hate their lightsabre hilts now. :carms:

Soulouri
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
I think they already know and confirmed they are changing it.

SW01
11-04-2008, 12:30 PM

I know - but it's good to see that they realise how dopey they looked!

On which note:

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr240/SW01/PringlesTinofDeath.jpg

:xp:

PoiuyWired
11-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Using flashlights from the sims as lightsaber is going a bit too far.

Unless the characters shown are all halflings and they are actually holding standard human sized weaponary.

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
11-05-2008, 04:10 PM
ah, but how much are they going to change it?

Pwnzor326
11-09-2008, 04:30 PM
At least the guys at Bioware have a sense of humor.......I think they should at least have a choice between Pringles cans and normal hilts.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I've said it and will repeat. I don't think the size of the sabers need to be altered one bit. They can make (radically) different hilts and put one touch or another, such as a colourful glow or aura around it to designate a specific weapon or the other.

Pwnzor326
11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
such as a colourful glow or aura around it to designate a specific weapon or the other.
Thats a good idea its kinda like the unstable and compact crystals from the Force Unleashed.

Weiser_Cain
11-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Though it spits in the face of stealth if you hilt pulses your alignment all over the place.

LordOfTheFish
11-09-2008, 07:57 PM

Thank god. I just hope it's enough to satisfy the fans taste. I think LA is more on top of things than we think, and give them credit for.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Though it spits in the face of stealth if you hilt pulses your alignment all over the place.

Who said anything about alignment? Light or Dark side, the Qel-droma sparring sabers will always emanate a blue aura. That's what I'm talking about.

Weiser_Cain
11-11-2008, 11:37 PM
However, if you're running around with a red saber...

Bomberman65
11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I personaly like the look of the sabers. Well I like the look of them in this pic.
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/7647/ss20081021forcechokefulcj2.th.jpg (http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ss20081021forcechokefulcj2.jpg)http://img234.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)
Any bigger than that and its horrible. But thats just me.

LordOfTheFish
11-12-2008, 05:14 PM
It's really cheesy, though. Unrealistic graphics are not a touch I'd like in a MMO.

Bomberman65
11-12-2008, 05:29 PM
It's really cheesy, though. Unrealistic graphics are not a touch I'd like in a MMO.

Why you say that? I like the art direction and sabers. Why do people have a poblem with it?

TriggerGod
11-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Why you say that? I like the art direction and sabers. Why do people have a poblem with it?

They have a problem with it because they are too big and unrealistic.

logan23
11-12-2008, 10:14 PM
I do not believe they will keep the over sized hilts.

What I see is that they plan to allow players to custom their own hilts.
I reason for the large size is for the testing of new skins for the hilts.

When you break down the character you see one shoulder pads to give reference marks for when armor or clothing to be placed over. The hilts are increased to show that you will be able see your hilts on your belt as you walk around the world. The size is just for them to allow them to test different skins. The heads are stylish and as they test, they throw on new heads to see how they look. The bodies are skin tight clothing since they didn't want to show them in the underwear or naked,lol.

Logan

Tommycat
11-12-2008, 11:36 PM
I do not believe they will keep the over sized hilts.

What I see is that they plan to allow players to custom their own hilts.
I reason for the large size is for the testing of new skins for the hilts.

When you break down the character you see one shoulder pads to give reference marks for when armor or clothing to be placed over. The hilts are increased to show that you will be able see your hilts on your belt as you walk around the world. The size is just for them to allow them to test different skins. The heads are stylish and as they test, they throw on new heads to see how they look. The bodies are skin tight clothing since they didn't want to show them in the underwear or naked,lol.

Logan

Pretty sure they will be shrinking the coffee can sabers. When even the devs are poking fun at the oversized nature of them It's a pretty clear indication that they will scale them back a bit.

Pwnzor326
11-12-2008, 11:56 PM

If they were made too be realistic they would look outdated in a couple of years.

True_Avery
11-13-2008, 03:32 AM
If they were made too be realistic they would look outdated in a couple of years.
Its less of them being outdated, and more of computers themselves constantly being out of date.

WoW may have a cartoonish art style, but its an art style that hass lasted them like, 5 years and on 8 million computers.

Having Kotor 1 style graphics would be great, but even my rig can lag out at high graphics in a decent sized fire fight. In WoW I could fight a flaming demi-god with 40 other people at 30 frames per second.

Weiser_Cain
11-13-2008, 09:41 AM
WoW looks bad to me. Look at gears of war and wow and tell me that isn't a last gen game. Not saying it should be that nuts on system requirements, but come on.

adamqd
11-13-2008, 10:22 AM

and that's better than looking outdated before release?? we... I want Quality /end

Dan Loto
11-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Looks like Bioware understands the problem now. http://kotaku.com/5075263/biowares-halloweeners-mock-their-own-giant-lightsabers

LordOfTheFish
11-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey, I'd mock something that stupid too.

Steve-O Kreesh
11-22-2008, 03:12 PM
They actually kind of look like the lightsabers from Lego Star Wars! :)

ExarKun423
11-24-2008, 06:43 PM
The models are still early concept guys......but I admit it kinda looks cool that way you can actually see the detail of the lightsaber.

The other screen shots look totally awesome, very lush environment's with good detail, the game developers are heading in a good direction :)

cooksey
02-25-2009, 08:35 AM
i like the big lightsabers maybe there will be a quest to go forge your lightsaber and you will get to make your lightsber how you want it.

i think i will have the little thorn at the end of mine with a green blade!!!!

LordOfTheFish
02-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Nice bump.

Why do you like the big sabers?

SW01
02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
i like the big lightsabers maybe there will be a quest to go forge your lightsaber and you will get to make your lightsber how you want it.

i think i will have the little thorn at the end of mine with a green blade!!!!

A good level of customisation of the hilts is one thing I am really hoping for - and I know others are too, and it would seem quite essential for an MMO with any level of individuality. But the outsize issue is a big problem in my view, as they just look ridiculous - or, rather, looked. They appear a little better in more recent shots.

Nice bump.

:lol:

cooksey
02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
not really sure why. but i just want my light saber to be seen when someone see's my lightsaber i want them to go,hump interesting.

LordOfTheFish
02-25-2009, 05:20 PM
You should have no problem with people seeing your lightsaber. It is a big glowing sword after all. :dozey:

Lei Hng Wei
03-29-2009, 04:49 PM
A good level of customisation of the hilts is one thing I am really hoping for - and I know others are too, and it would seem quite essential for an MMO with any level of individuality. But the outsize issue is a big problem in my view, as they just look ridiculous - or, rather, looked. They appear a little better in more recent shots.

We all know that one's lightsaber is a personal design/representation of the wielder. With that in mind, I'd love it if we can design our own hilts for ourselves and others to see.

If they can implement some sort of copyright/ownership file server, one can share their design with others, so long as the original designer gives permission.

A made saber and gives a copy to B. C likes B's saber and wants a copy, but has to go ask A. A no stealing policy that should encourage modders, don't ya think?

Hallucination
03-29-2009, 10:55 PM
~Snipped~ sabres inc

Keep it clean.

~T_A

Tommycat
03-30-2009, 05:05 PM
~Snipped~ sabres inc
Good reason not to allow external designs for sabers.

Pwnzor326
05-04-2009, 06:32 PM
It makes me proud to see a thread I posted on 10/23/2008 is still around today :)

Insignia_Enithma
06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
You should have no problem with people seeing your lightsaber. It is a big glowing sword after all. :dozey:

But its the hilt that will matter to alot of people/

adamqd
06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I want it on my belt as well, no /emote /ponder, with a hilt moving through my face while i scratch my chin hehe :)

Jeff
06-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I want it on my belt as well, no /emote /ponder, with a hilt moving through my face while i scratch my chin hehe :)That was another thing I was happy to see at the E3 demo, the lightsabers were on your belt when you weren't using them. When the Sith equipped 2 sabers at the end, one of them was on each side of his waist. Glad they finally got that right, was annoying in KotOR always holding it.

DarthAwesome
06-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Holy smokes, that's big! But the lightsaber hilts don't really bother me, what bothers me is the sort of cartoony style graphics they've picked for this game. I want the more realistic style graphics from the first game, where the characters actually looked like real people! This kinda worries me...

Da_Man_2423
06-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Holy smokes, that's big! But the lightsaber hilts don't really bother me, what bothers me is the sort of cartoony style graphics they've picked for this game. I want the more realistic style graphics from the first game, where the characters actually looked like real people! This kinda worries me...

I thought they were going with the "we want everyone's computer to be able to play it" deal. Some people still got issues with the KotORs.

DarthAwesome
06-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, I run KOTOR on a Dell laptop and it works great, even though it's not supposed to work for laptops. I see what you mean, though. It's a shame they have to sacrifice the quality of the visuals for compatability issues...

Lukarnus
07-01-2009, 06:31 AM
They are never going to be able to make it run on everyones computer but at the same time they want it to run on as many as possible without sacrificing too much. It's a fine balance that they will need to get just right!