PDA

View Full Version : Will you buy and play TOR if you have to pay for it like Galaxies?

GwannaSauna
11-09-2008, 05:02 AM
Just wondering your people's thoughts. Me? No... that would be awful... :barf:

Q
11-09-2008, 05:39 AM
I think that it's pretty obvious that TOR will have a monthly fee. The real question is: will it be worth it?

adamqd
11-09-2008, 07:34 AM
I dont really know how people can expect any kind of quality, updates, expansions, support and unlimited play for a one time fee... everything cost's money

edit: you may wanna edit the poll to include non bias answers if you want people to click one :)

Miltiades
11-09-2008, 09:41 AM
I dont really know how people can expect any kind of quality, updates, expansions, support and unlimited play for a one time fee... everything cost's money True. And if it's worth it, I'm willing to give it a try.

Weiser_Cain
11-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I dont really know how people can expect any kind of quality, updates, expansions, support and unlimited play for a one time fee... everything cost's money

Guild Wars does it.

adamqd
11-09-2008, 10:07 AM
care to expand? and comment on level of quality of Guild Wars compared to expected quality and content of tOR?

Q
11-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Folks, this is LucasArts we're talking about. Do you honestly believe that they would go to the trouble and expense of hiring BioWare to make their new, flashy MMO and then not charge a monthly fee?

Weiser_Cain
11-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Folks, this is LucasArts we're talking about. Do you honestly believe that they would go to the trouble and expense of hiring BioWare to make their new, flashy MMO and then not charge a monthly fee? No, but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm just saying it could be done.

care to expand? and comment on level of quality of Guild Wars compared to expected quality and content of tOR?
Well, define quality.
As far as story goes, a good story costs as much as a bad story.
As for graphics, the only difference is the scale of the game considering this is going to be a top selling game they'll make their money back and then some in box sales alone. If the graphics are comparable to guild wars I'd be very happy.
New content? Guild wars did it by making expansions. Which were optional but made them enough money to keep making expansions and to start work on guild wars 2 which will also not have a monthly fee.

Pho3nix
11-09-2008, 11:42 AM
It's pretty certain that TOR will have monthly fees, get over it.

p.s You can't even jump in Guild Wars. 'Nuff said.

Jeff
11-09-2008, 11:53 AM
p.s You can't even jump in Guild Wars. 'Nuff said.^This.

I also think it's unreasonable to not expect a monthly fee from this game, when you compare the amount of content in an MMO to a single player game, I think it's worth it.

Weiser_Cain
11-09-2008, 11:53 AM
You can't Jump in KOTOR (force jump doesn't count since if there's a table in the way you can't perform the maneuver), or WOW for that matter and you probably won't in TOR.

Jeff
11-09-2008, 11:54 AM
or WOW for that matter and you probably won't in TOR.Spacebar!

Weiser_Cain
11-09-2008, 11:56 AM
2 out of three isn't bad.

Rev7
11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
^
.66% ;)

I would only buy it if it was worth it.

Ctrl Alt Del
11-09-2008, 01:09 PM
I would only buy it if it was worth it.

Isn't that what everyone does with anything? :xp:

EnderWiggin
11-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I'll do it, but not necessarily just out of loyalty.

But if it's bad I'll only pay for a few months.

_EW_

jrrtoken
11-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I'd rather beta test first to see if I'd be willing to sacrifice $50 upfront and then $20 every month for this.

stoffe
11-09-2008, 01:43 PM
p.s You can't even jump in Guild Wars. 'Nuff said.

Jumping is overrated. If you can jump it would by extension mean that you can fall to your death, which almost certainly means there will be annoying jumping puzzles or similar environmental hazards. Combine this with the mandatory lag and a client and server struggling to agree on where exactly the player is located, and the result will be lots of screams and splats. :)

Ctrl Alt Del
11-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Jumping is overrated. If you can jump it would be extension mean that you can fall to your death, which almost certainly means there will be annoying jumping puzzles or similar environmental hazards. :)

Aw, what's wrong with platform parts on... a RPG. :raise:

Nedak
11-09-2008, 02:01 PM
If it is worth it.. Yes I will pay for it.. Compared to other things a $15 monthly subscription is not a lot.

EnderWiggin
11-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Compared to other things a $15 monthly subscription is not a lot.

Like call-girls?

_EW_

Nedak
11-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Like call-girls?

_EW_

Or just one dinner with a regular girl ;)

Darth Eclipse
11-09-2008, 04:02 PM
I won't buy it if you have to pay for a monthly fee. (Which I'm sure you will have to.) I really hope that you will also be able to play single-player because I just ended my xbox live gold subscription. If I didn't have to pay for Xbox Live then I might buy it. It's not that paying for Xbox Live Gold is too much. I just don't want to have to end it again. When I was trying to end my subscription, the people on the phone could hardly speak english! Also, they charged me for ANOTHER 3 months of Xbox Live Gold because they said that I had asked for another 3 months!!! Sorry about the rant...

Pwnzor326
11-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I'd probably try it out because I'll probably be out of the house by the time it comes out and will have my own credit card XD

Drunkside
11-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Simply the fact that its mmo makes it BS... And i would have to pay every month for it? hell no. And if you ask me, its not about the AMOUNT of content but rather the quality of it... Which as we know, is usually kinda bad in the MMO´s. Or do you find " kill 50 rats" -quests rewarding?

John Galt
11-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Yes, definitely. I'll probably be tired of WoW by then, and will need a new MMO.

Weiser_Cain
11-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Simply the fact that its mmo makes it BS... And i would have to pay every month for it? hell no. And if you ask me, its not about the AMOUNT of content but rather the quality of it... Which as we know, is usually kinda bad in the MMO´s. Or do you find " kill 50 rats" -quests rewarding?

Well if there aren't infinite time sinks you'd finish the game and they can't have that!

The Doctor
11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
You said it all, mate.

Zerimar Nyliram
11-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Yes. No MMO is ever free. Well, unless they're those crappy sixteen-bit ones made by nerds in basements.

Jason Skywalker
11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Yes. No MMO is ever free. Well, unless they're those crappy sixteen-bit ones made by nerds in basements.

AeriaGames would like to disagree.

LordOfTheFish
11-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, unless they're those crappy sixteen-bit ones made by nerds in basements.

*hangs head in shame*

Tommycat
11-12-2008, 11:33 PM
The poll shows too much bias. Can't we get it reworded to something less biased?

(Done! ~T_A)

Yes, I think this game will be worth it
No, I don't think it will be worth it.
Maybe, I'm waiting for more info like everyone else.

Me, I'm a firm Maybe with a leaning towards yes. I absolutely back my maybe. It is so early to say yes. I mean the game play might be completely convoluted. They might go back on the "no killing rats" promise(as much as I dislike rats, I don't like killing them for long periods of time).

Weiser_Cain
11-13-2008, 01:28 AM
It's too early to tell, if there is a wow factor it hasn't been added yet. As it stands I don't think I'll get this but that could change if things, and I mean a lot of things change and or are added. Right now I've seen better fan made things.

Swanea
11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
AeriaGames would like to disagree.

Granted, those are targeted at a younger audience and the ones that are not, are pretty bad. Most free mmos are terrible. Guild Wars releases big content updates for money. Free mmos have item malls. Item malls are terrible.

oh, and I am more than willing to try the game for 50 bucks, it IS Star Wars. If I do not like it, after my free month, oh well.

ExarKun423
11-24-2008, 06:39 PM
I would buy and pay for TOR. I always wanted a mmo that took place around that era in SW. I would have to take a look at trailers and stuff first thou.

Web Rider
11-24-2008, 11:47 PM
For the record, GW 2 will include jumping.

Honestly, I don't know. My hopes certainly aren't up for the game, and I don't even feel WoW warrants my 15 a month, so unless ToR is really super special, I'm looking at a rather pithy "no".

Maybe if there's like a first month free deal, yeah I'll give it a shot and see if it's worth it, otherwise, maybe sometime down the road I'll try it, but I won't be hopping off to buy it day 1 that's for sure.

Darth_Yuthura
11-25-2008, 02:20 AM
One word suffices... no.

Mav
11-25-2008, 03:16 AM
Usually when you buy the game itself you get at least a month of gaming with it, so I'll most likely buy the game, whether I continue to pay for the game, well now that all depends on said month...

Bloo
11-25-2008, 03:37 AM
I wouldn't I mean some people don't have credit cards.

gianner
11-26-2008, 04:11 PM
I will definetely try out the Trial. If I like it, and there multiple ways of paying the monthly fees (not just credit card...), I will buy it!

Rev7
11-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Isn't that what everyone does with anything? :xp:
Why yes, Captain Obvious. :xp:

Zayne Carrick
12-02-2008, 05:14 AM
I will buy it no matter what! Because you never know what may happen.;)

Zakalwe
12-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Without a doubt. This will 99% certain be a pay to play but it will be worth it I'm sure (I hope!!).

Sedias
12-21-2008, 02:02 PM
On average (and assuming it will be on average) $15/month isn't a lot of money for anyone who has a job or some kind of regular income. The reason for paying? Simple: server maintenance and upkeep costs. It costs money to operate servers, and keep them running ship shape with a high uprate. Just like when you're playing an FPS. Sure, you can play for free by joining other peoples servers but down the line someone is paying for that server. It just doesn't magically appear. In an MMO there are a lot of servers that house thousands of players. These cost money. Solution: monthly fees. And of course let's not forget patch content (not expansions) and the developers working to keep the balance issues in check, etc.

So yes, I'll pay per month. Of course if after the first month (which is normally included with purchase) I'm not satisfied then I'll just cancel and move on. :)

Zakalwe
12-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I guess the one thing I like about this type of pay to play gamje is that it keeps the kids out.

Sedias
12-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes and no. There are many parents who will blindly hand over their credit cards to their kids just to keep them off their backs. At least that is my hypothesis or explanation for all the "kiddies" I've run into in World of Warcraft and other MMOs (Warhammer was pretty bad too). Or, just immature adults. But then again I guess any online game has it's share of both mature and non.

DAWUSS
12-22-2008, 05:45 PM
On average (and assuming it will be on average) $15/month isn't a lot of money for anyone who has a job or some kind of regular income. The reason for paying? Simple: server maintenance and upkeep costs. It costs money to operate servers, and keep them running ship shape with a high uprate. Just like when you're playing an FPS. Sure, you can play for free by joining other peoples servers but down the line someone is paying for that server. It just doesn't magically appear. In an MMO there are a lot of servers that house thousands of players. These cost money. Solution: monthly fees. And of course let's not forget patch content (not expansions) and the developers working to keep the balance issues in check, etc.

So yes, I'll pay per month. Of course if after the first month (which is normally included with purchase) I'm not satisfied then I'll just cancel and move on. :)

Something like banner ads on a launchpad screen could cover those costs.

WindraSkywalker
01-20-2009, 05:43 PM
One word suffices... no.

No one word isn't enough you need two, HELL NO!

GeneralPloKoon
01-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I wont be touching TOR if there is a fee to play, unless its yearly...

Darklink41
01-21-2009, 05:32 PM
What do you expect with modern MMOs? Yes I'll pay the fee, but in return for that fee I expect a damn good game! I pay to play FFXI and I don't regret it. The problem for me is will I quit FFXI if TOR is really awesome?
Paying will probably be demanded. It'll probably be monthly and, like most MMOs, it'll be ballpark $10-$15. I'd like to see multi platform though (i bet TOR would be sexy on the 360!)

Darkkender
01-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Been said but bears repeating. Yes, yes, and yes. Guild wars lacks the quality of monthly. Service payed for MMO's why because they make less money on the sales. MMO's relying on advertising to pay for them also struggle because advertisers aren't able to make enough off of there adds to cover upkeep. Also ads take up bandwidth increasing latency and reducing the precious FPS. This leaves pay to play it is the most reliable source of steady income to provide for constant updates to hardware and maintenance. Oh and for the numerous masses that don't understand or know just the monthly overhead alone on a server farm from power totals in the 5-6 digit marker the more servers the higher that cost, this does not even cover the fact that most data centers employ anywhere from 5-20 network personal depending on size, each of the individuals has an average income of
$75k a year. Programming staff full time probably about 10-20 each with $50-75k a year salaries. If TOR haas a rough 1/4 the number of players that WOW has for it's first year then bioware will likely be breaking even if not still running red. After the first year is when these companies start reporting profits oh and profit is what keeps them in business because the shareholders who hold stock shares pull out if companies do not show a profit. So unless you have justification behind why you don't want to see your favorite video game companies stick around you should expect they will charge a monthly fee so that they may ultimately benefit you the consumer.

Feagildin
02-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I'll pay and play after I become financially stable, again....

PoiuyWired
02-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Depends. If The piece of lowlife poodoo like $0ny $0E is having anything to do with it then OVER BY COLD DEAD BODY. $0ny fluxed up the last star wars MMO as we know it.

Otherwise it is all cool to pay a monthly fee for mmo, like WoW or something.

Jeff
02-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Depends. If The piece of lowlife poodoo like $0ny $0E is having anything to do with it then OVER BY COLD DEAD BODY. $0ny fluxed up the last star wars MMO as we know it.Don't think you'll have to worry about that, between LucasArts and BioWare (EA) co-publishing and Activision probably distributing in the UK (at least they have for past LucasArts games), there are enough companies involved in this already. :p

Aybara
02-24-2009, 01:28 AM
I have no problems paying a monthly fee for a game that is fun.

Even if it ends up being terrible... Server problems, Lack of End-Game Content, Grind fest, etc. I'm sure I would have put enough time into it to warrant the $50 purchase.

Most games usually last me a weekend to finish. I'm sure TOR will at least keep me occupied over one weekend.