PDA

View Full Version : The Day the Zune Stood Still

MrWally
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
So this morning I woke up, I had slept in a little late (11:40) and I was sort of in a hurry, but I wanted to sync my new Jason Mraz onto my zune for when I go jogging later today. I turn on my computer and go to my bedside table for my zune, when I notice something very strange. The startup bar seems stuck half way. No form of resetting will solve this problem. I had my zune freeze once, and that time I just waited for the battery to die and then I recharged it and it was fine, so that's what my plan was this time, too.

Until I saw this.

http://gizmodo.com/5121311/reports-30gb-zunes-failing-everywhere-all-at-once

Pretty crazy stuff. What could possibly be causing this? Hopefully it will just take a simple software update, because I love my zune and I don't have the money to shell out a new mp3 player.

Microsoft claims that they're looking at the problem, and hopefully there will be a fix soon.

I know that some of you have 30 gb Zunes, does anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: So. Today is the 366th day of the year. Is it possible that someone at Microsoft forgot about leap years?

TiE23
12-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Holy crap, I actually forgot to charge mine last night. I'll be making sure to use my 360 to charge instead. : O

Also, for no particular reason I can't update my firmware past 3.0 - For some stupid reason it claims that I don't have a compatible OS, which is so dumb because it's obviously already running on Vista. But yeah, says "Oh, you need Vista or XP SP3 to do this." So no way in hell am I gonna plug my Zune in today, if it requires an update that I may not be able to do...

Another thing: I have no idea if this is common knowledge or if it will even work. But Back Button and Down on the d-pad for 3-5 seconds = reset.

RoxStar
12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
You.are.not.going.to.believe.this.

My Zune 30 straight up bricked on me over a month ago. I ordered a new battery but the Zune still wouldn't work. I see this story and try to turn on my friend's Zune that I was borrowing. Frozen like the rest. Just for kicks, try my old 30.

Turns on.

Works.Perfectly.

:O

I have in my possession,

The Mother Zune

Obviously the sheer will of the collective Zune 30 conscious resurrected mine.

BongoBob
12-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Hahaha, mines f***ed too.

This is actually pretty funny. I wonder what MS's solution to this is gonna be.

RoxStar
12-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Hahaha, mines f***ed too.

This is actually pretty funny. I wonder what MS's solution to this is gonna be.

Hopefully give us new Zunes. That would be sick.

BongoBob
12-31-2008, 01:43 PM
I'd be happy with some sort of replacement option, considering I got screwed out of my warranty and my headphone jack is f***in up :X

MrWally
12-31-2008, 01:44 PM
You.are.not.going.to.believe.this.

My Zune 30 straight up bricked on me over a month ago. I ordered a new battery but the Zune still wouldn't work. I see this story and try to turn on my friend's Zune that I was borrowing. Frozen like the rest. Just for kicks, try my old 30.

Turns on.

Works.Perfectly.

I have in my possession,

The Mother Zune

Obviously the sheer will of the collective Zune 30 conscious resurrected mine.

Oh my gosh. Hahaha, that's absolutely awesome, but pretty scary at the same time.

What could cause something like that?!

And I agree. New Zunes would be pretty sweet. But I doubt they'd do that.

TiE23
12-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Hopefully give us new Zunes. That would be sick.

Shouldn't cost them too much, they're only like 40 or 50 30GB Zunes out there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/th_StillAlive.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/StillAlive.jpg)

I'm a survivor (what),
I'm gonna make it (what),
I will survive (what),
Keep on survivin' (what),
I'm a survivor (what),
I'm not gonna give up (what),
I'm not gon' stop (what),
I'm gonna work harder (what),
I'm a survivor (what),
I'm gonna make it (what),
I will survive (what),
Keep on survivin' (what).

Edit: Oh... "Some reports indicate that only Zunes with the latest firmware are affected" I don't have that. : \

MrWally
12-31-2008, 02:34 PM
For anyone with broken Zunes right now, is it just me, or are they getting kind of hot?

I picked up my Zune a second ago and it was definitely warm to the touch. Then I put it up to my ear and I can hear the hard drive spinning.

That's not good.

RoxStar
12-31-2008, 02:45 PM
For anyone with broken Zunes right now, is it just me, or are they getting kind of hot?

I picked up my Zune a second ago and it was definitely warm to the touch. Then I put it up to my ear and I can hear the hard drive spinning.

That's not good.

That's the battery draining. You can open it up and manually disconnect it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBL0lPBpC3I

MrWally
12-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Microsoft Released a fix on their Zune site:

http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/zune30.htm

Apparently we just have to wait it out.

Rogue15
12-31-2008, 08:17 PM
wow remind me not to get a zune.

Samnmax221
12-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Hate to bring this up again (http://hideapod.com/)

MrWally
01-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Meh.

Say what you want. I love my Zune.

Even if it decides it needs a break for a day.

Darth Groovy
01-01-2009, 03:59 PM
So this morning I woke up, I had slept in a little late (11:40) and I was sort of in a hurry, but I wanted to sync my new Jason Mraz onto my zune for when I go jogging later today. I turn on my computer and go to my bedside table for my zune, when I notice something very strange. The startup bar seems stuck half way. No form of resetting will solve this problem. I had my zune freeze once, and that time I just waited for the battery to die and then I recharged it and it was fine, so that's what my plan was this time, too.

Until I saw this.

http://gizmodo.com/5121311/reports-30gb-zunes-failing-everywhere-all-at-once

Pretty crazy stuff. What could possibly be causing this? Hopefully it will just take a simple software update, because I love my zune and I don't have the money to shell out a new mp3 player.

Microsoft claims that they're looking at the problem, and hopefully there will be a fix soon.

I know that some of you have 30 gb Zunes, does anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: So. Today is the 366th day of the year. Is it possible that someone at Microsoft forgot about leap years?

No ****!? I was ready to go exchange it. I am naked without my Zune. Glad to know I didn't screw it up myself. I take VERY good care of that thing.

Darth Groovy
01-01-2009, 04:08 PM
I think Microshaft should issue all of us 30GB Zune owners 1000 marketplace points. Just credit it directly to my account. We should be compensated for the inconvenience. I really wanted to use my Zune yesterday. The Dr's office, the grocery store, my car....etc.

TiE23
01-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I was using mine all day long. Good thing my software is bugged and can't update! :D

:' (

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/th_stupidzuneyourestupidthoseupdatesdo.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/stupidzuneyourestupidthoseupdatesdo.jpg)

Darth Groovy
01-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Mine seems to be working right now.

MrWally
01-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I'd love some sort of compensation as well, but it's Microsoft. Unless there is some sort of mass rally or outcry from Zune users, they won't do ****.

Darth Groovy
01-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I say we all get together, and make them pay.

TiE23
01-02-2009, 01:49 PM
No, that's okay. It was one day and didn't cause any permanent damage.

:V

Anthony
01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
and here I was thinking this was the devious plan of some evil genius to have all the Zune 30s in the world turn upon their owners.

but no. nothing is ever that cool IS IT. IS IT?!!?!

MrWally
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Zune Source Code:

http://pastie.org/349916

Starting at line 249. Check it out.

The actual problem lies on 267, I believe. Anyone see it?

EnderWiggin
01-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Zune Source Code:

http://pastie.org/349916

Starting at line 249. Check it out.

The actual problem lies on 267, I believe. Anyone see it?

You mean the fact that it checks to see if 'Days' is greater than 366, when that can never be?

I would assume the correct line would be:
267 if (days = 366)

_EW_

MrWally
01-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Yeah. That was my thought.

Its amazing what one little inequality can do.

narfblat
01-03-2009, 02:50 AM
That's what I thought at first too, but no, > is right; days represents the current day of the year. The actual problem is the while loop used at line 259. On a leap year, it gets stuck in the loop on day 366 - it satisfys the condition to run the loop, but doesn't change anything to make the loop end. Even when it became January 1st, the day in the program didn't become 367 because it was stuck in the loop. Once you force it to restart, and the day is 367 or more to the program, it can finally subtract 366 from the year, and run as normal.

I can understand why the used a while loop, so if multiple years have passed it can subract them all at once; however, their logic is very flawed. Another issue: What would happen when it passes multiple years at once, without checking which are leap years? If the year it was on when it started the loop was a leap year, it would treat all as leap years; normal year when it starts would treat all as normal years.

Pho3nix
01-03-2009, 12:44 PM
iPod touch > all.

EnderWiggin
01-03-2009, 12:59 PM
That's what I thought at first too, but no, > is right; days represents the current day of the year. The actual problem is the while loop used at line 259. On a leap year, it gets stuck in the loop on day 366 - it satisfys the condition to run the loop, but doesn't change anything to make the loop end. Even when it became January 1st, the day in the program didn't become 367 because it was stuck in the loop. Once you force it to restart, and the day is 367 or more to the program, it can finally subtract 366 from the year, and run as normal.

I can understand why the used a while loop, so if multiple years have passed it can subract them all at once; however, their logic is very flawed. Another issue: What would happen when it passes multiple years at once, without checking which are leap years? If the year it was on when it started the loop was a leap year, it would treat all as leap years; normal year when it starts would treat all as normal years.

ie: ****ing microsoft programmers suck major penis.

_EW_

MrWally
01-03-2009, 02:53 PM
I'd agree, except that it says at the top that the coding was done by Freescale Semiconductor Inc. programmers, not Microsoft.

:/

RoxStar
01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I'd agree, except that it says at the top that the coding was done by Freescale Semiconductor Inc. programmers, not Microsoft.

:/

Toshiba made the original Zunes. Microsoft made all the rest.

2009 looks like a crazy year.

Windows 7 is good...

The Zune 30 bug wasn't MS's fault

360 has solid games and less red ring

Darth Groovy
01-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Either way, it is fixed now, so I don't have to exchange it. Good thing, I might have got in trouble because I bought it at work, and no longer have the receipt. Even if I did, it is long past the return policy. The sad thing is, that I have had the same damn two Zunes sitting in my store for the past 3 years.

Point is, I WOULD have used my Zune extensively on New Years eve. I had a doctor's appointment to see if I can get the alien implant removed from my brain. Also had to go to Sam's and the grocery store for some party food. I like to put the head phones on to block out all the damn noise.

Rogue15
01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I like to put the head phones on to block out all the damn noise.

you mean...the voices?

Darth Groovy
01-05-2009, 11:20 AM
you mean...the voices?
Yes.

Alegis
01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I would assume the correct line would be:
267 if (days = 366)

267 if (days == 366)

narfblat
01-09-2009, 01:54 AM
267 if (days == 366)

the compiler would catch that. :p

But, as I said, that's not the problem anyway.

Going back to what I was saying was wrong with the code, I think the simplest total fix would be to change the "while" to an if, and if multiple years have passed since it was last on, the zune must be reset that many times.(Maybe add a "reset" option in the code, as the battery-drain reset would be very annoying to do 5 times)

Kain
01-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Problem - iPod rules, Zune=mook.

EnderWiggin
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
267 if (days == 366)

same difference XD

_EW_

Det. Bart Lasiter
01-10-2009, 04:57 PM
the compiler would catch that. :pgcc didn't

#include <stdio.h>

main() {
int days = 365;

if(days = 366) {
printf("%i\n", days);
}
}

compiles with no errors or warnings and prints 366 and a newline

value == variable supremacy despite the fact i've never gotten myself into the habit of using it

EnderWiggin
01-10-2009, 05:19 PM
gcc didn't

#include <stdio.h>

main() {
int days = 365;

if(days = 366) {
printf("%i\n", days);
}
}

compiles with no errors or warnings and prints 366 and a newline

value == variable supremacy despite the fact i've never gotten myself into the habit of using it

oh wow then i guess i was wrong.

_EW_

Det. Bart Lasiter
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
oh wow then i guess i was wrong.

_EW_

c supremacy maybe you should head on back to javatown babby :kamina:

Jeff
01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
c supremacy maybe you should head on back to javatown babby :kamina:I'm stuck in javatown. :(

Alegis
01-13-2009, 10:04 AM
same difference XD

the compiler would catch that. :p

No. Days will be assigned to 366 AND will evaluate to true.

You shouldn't have even run gcc to verify this. I suggest you go over the basics again to ensure you didn't skip something else.
Silly mistakes like these can be too painful (hello zune).

Det. Bart Lasiter
01-13-2009, 04:23 PM
using gcc settled the issue though :/

it's certainly more solid than "WELL MY CS 101 PROFESSOR SAID SO"

Darth Groovy
02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Anybody had trouble syncing zune to the pc lately? Usually when I plug my zune into the sync cable, and plug the cable into a usb slot on my pc, the zune software browser starts and my zune automatically syncs. Starting yesterday morning, I can't even get the software to recognize that the device is even plugged in. It will still charge, but I cannot seem to get it to sync.

The only thing I have not tried yet is re-installing the Zune software.

Only reason I posted this, is that just recently all the zunes were recalled in my store, and recently all the zunes at wal-mart were marked down. Would they just shut down a service like this completely without some sort of formal notice?

Edit: Software re-install fixes the problem if this happens to anybody else.