PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] [K1] The KOTOR Weaponry Improvement Project

Lord of Hunger
02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Inspired by the brilliance of Weapons of the Old Republic, I have decided to create a mod pack that will help improve the general aesthetics of the game.

Have you noticed how a lot of the weapons in this game have models that are reused over and over again? Kind of annoying, huh? WOTOR gave all the Party Members and most main characters unique weapons, but we are still left with a lot of repetitive weapons still.

Thus, The KOTOR Weaponry Improvement Project (KWIP)

The resulting mod will not change any stats, only models, skins, and icons. The 1.0 will be uploaded to KOTORFiles when ready. I'm not looking for lightsaber hilts at the moment. I will also be changing some of the base weapons like the blaster pistol and rifle because frankly I don't think Bioware's models and skins were all that great.

I am in need of people who can model and skin. I'll try and figure out the part about putting the models and skins into the game. New icons would also be good. If you are interest PM me or post here.

At the moment we have enough weapons for a 0.1 version.

A list of contributors so far:

Trandosian Sword-Queen of Night (complete)
Sith Tremor Sword-Drunkside (complete)
Mandalorian Assault Rifle-Azzamen (in development)
Mandalorian Heavy Blaster-Azzamen (in development)
Sith Sniper Rifle-TriggerGod (in development)
Blaster Pistol-DarthParametric (in development)
Blaster Rifle-DarthParametric (in development)
Echani Foil-Drunkside (complete)
Yusanis Brand-Drunkside (complete)
Naga Sadow's Poison Blade-Drunkside (complete)

Needed Materials:

Mandalorian Blaster Pistol-Model, Skin, and Icon
Mandalorian Ripper-Model, Skin, and Icon
Echani Vibroblade-Model, Skin, and Icon
Sith War Sword-Model, Skin, and Icon
Prototype Vibroblade-Model, Skin, and Icon

Note: If successful, I'll release a TSL version with the same materials.

More info to be uploaded later.

Lord of Hunger

TriggerGod
02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Sith Sniper Rifle-Azzamen (in development)

I actually have a sniper rifle model that I still need to correct UV Map and export. I am willing to finish the map and such and donate it to this mod.

http://f.imagehost.org/0657/snipes.jpg

Lord of Hunger
02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Thank you Trigger! Since I haven't heard from Azzamen in ages, I may end up using your sniper rifle. :)

DarthParametric
02-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Oooh. Sexy looking sniper rifle there TG. What's the poly count?

Lord of Hunger
02-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Good question, 'cause that is one beautiful piece of weaponry I have to say.

*praying for more really awesome works by the amazing KOTOR modding community* :D

Lord of Hunger
03-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I have added two more weapons I'd like improved if anyone is interested.

Lord of Hunger

The Betrayer
03-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Why not change the default generic weapons instead (blaster rifles, pistols). That'll be a better project, if you ask me.

Lord of Hunger
03-06-2009, 10:31 AM
As I state above, I would like those changed as well in addition to most of the other weapons. I am keeping vibroblades, vibroswords, short swords, and long swords the same.

Care to contribute? :D *pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease
pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaspleasepleaseple asepleaseplease*

TriggerGod
03-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Oooh. Sexy looking sniper rifle there TG. What's the poly count?

Low enough that it can work properly in KOTOR and TSL, as long as you don't use the dual wield 2 hand weapons mod and give 2 to yourself and 2 party members at the same time...

Darth InSidious
03-06-2009, 05:48 PM
2500?! That's insane.

You must be using insane number of sides for those cylinders. Smoothing groups are your friend.

TriggerGod
03-06-2009, 05:55 PM
2500?! That's insane.

You must be using insane number of sides for those cylinders. Smoothing groups are your friend.

Well I did try to make it an extremely high poly model.

But whats odd was when I finished making it, and when I checked the poly count, I could've sworn it said 1500...

Darth InSidious
03-06-2009, 06:00 PM
1500 is still ridiculous.

TriggerGod
03-06-2009, 06:21 PM

It is rather big, but the original intention wasn't really to put it into the KOTOR series. What I was going to do was put it into a higher end game. (I was thinking something along the lines of Crysis)
But if I can remodel the hilt using less polys, I will.

Darth InSidious
03-06-2009, 06:53 PM
As I said, smoothing groups would really help you cut down on the number of polies.

Christos K
03-08-2009, 01:35 PM
That sniper rifle looks great. Is it possible to look the same ingame? I look forward to this mod. Do you think you can make one of of the rifles look like the M41-A We see in ALIENS, mainly a powerful weapon as the M41-A is a strong weapon and I am sure many of us are ALIENS fans as well as Star Wars fans. Here is a pic for reference. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/Zer07/PulseRifle_Green-1.jpg Keep up the good work.!

DarthParametric
03-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I have some high poly models I did aeons ago (and never finished) that I can make available. Not usable in-game, but could be used as templates for anyone wanting to make low poly versions for this mod.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_Blasters.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/Blasters.jpg)

Han's ANH DL-44 Greedo Killer is about 50K quads and the DH-17 Rebel Blaster is about 30K quads. They are too big to load in GMax, so you'll need a real 3D app (Max, Maya, Lightwave, etc) to make use of them. I also have various reference material for these and a few other blasters that I can include.

Lord of Hunger
03-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Thank you Darth Parametric! Those are some great models, in fact the bottom one would be perfect as a replacement for the Blaster Pistol if someone could create a lower poly version as you said. Shame that we can't use higher poly....

Lord Dagron
03-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Awesome gun TriggerGod .

Darth Payne
03-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Wow, this is an amazing idea.

And that is a very impressive gun Trigger.

DarthJacen
03-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Yeah, keep it up! I always thought, the weapons with both kotor games looked too harmless to be real. At least, the weapons used in the movies actually look deadly being bases off a real British assualt rifle, aka the E-11 blaster rifle, and han's DL-44 was actually a real WWII gun they put extra parts on. So, at least GL thinks the guns in Star Wars should look deadly. Now, we just need to expand on that and add the knives and swords, too.

So, here's my suggestion: Take real modern warfare weapons, and even ancient ones like rapiers and then add things to them to make them look more futuristic. You would be amazed at the results. GL certainly was.

HK-42
03-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Nice gun TG :D

Great job to you too DP, shame it cant be used.

ajlbibak
03-12-2009, 06:11 AM
... the E-11 blaster rifle, and han's DL-44 ...

Sterling SMG (E-11) and Mauser C96 (DL-44).

Pikmin
03-12-2009, 09:52 AM
yay, I've been waiting for a mod lie, this for AGES!

memarik
03-12-2009, 10:56 AM
this seem interesting! :D

will it convert all the weapons of kotor or will this be like a expansion for wotor?

DarthParametric
03-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Seeing as nobody expressed any interest, I decided to have a crack at a low poly mesh myself. This is the cantina scene "Greedo Killer" DL-44 variant, based on the high poly mesh I posted a pic of above. Still tweaking the mesh, so no UV map or textures yet. Working in quads so don't have a firm triangulated game mesh poly count, but I suspect something in the order of about 1200.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DL-44_LOW_POLY_WIP.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DL-44_LOW_POLY_WIP.jpg)

Canderis
03-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Nice model DP!

Lord of Hunger
03-12-2009, 06:44 PM
@ memarik: Both. It's going to convert the models, skins, and icons of the original weapons, but in a certain sense it is an expansion to WOTOR because it creates more unique appearances for the ingame weapons.

@ DarthParametric: Since you decided to do some work on that blaster instead of the other one, that blaster once a skin is provided will become the new generic blaster for K1.

@ Pikmin: Hello. Yeah, I was hoping someone would initiate a project like this for awhile, but since nobody stepped up I decided I'd just get it done.

@ Christos K: If you are interested, I'd be happy to take that ALIEN weapon and have it be the new generic blaster rifle if someone can model and skin it.

@ Darth Jacen: I am actually taking swords and such too, just no lightsabers. There are other mods for that already. Also, I appreciate the suggestion but since I can't model and skin I'm hoping other modders will take that suggestion should they decide to contribute.

DarthParametric
03-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Model and texture done.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DL-44_Greedo_Killer_02.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DL-44_Greedo_Killer_02.jpg)

I've never made a blaster game mesh, so I'll have to play around with that.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot some knurling. Added that in.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DL-44_Greedo_Killer_03.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DL-44_Greedo_Killer_03.jpg)

Lord of Hunger
03-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Model and texture done.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DL-44_Greedo_Killer_02.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DL-44_Greedo_Killer_02.jpg)

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DL-44_Greedo_Killer_03.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DL-44_Greedo_Killer_03.jpg)
That is amazing...if we could make a new icon that'd be awesome.

Thank you, Darth Parametric! When you are finished with the mesh, please put the files in a zip folder on filefront (not KOTORFiles, just filefront) and PM the link so I can start putting this mod together! :D :D :D :D

DarthParametric
03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah an icon isn't a problem. Do you want me to provide a ready to go game model (i.e. a binary mdl/mdx), or are you going to do that?

Lord of Hunger
03-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Please provide the ready-to-go game model, and also the icon if you're making one. Hopefully I'll be able to handle the rest from then on.

Again, thank you!

DarthParametric
03-13-2009, 02:10 PM
You want it as a replacement for w_blstrpstl_001 in K1?

Darth InSidious
03-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Smoothing. groups.

Quanon
03-13-2009, 03:21 PM

No its not :lol:

Some of my weapons go to 2000 or more like my recently released Soul Caliber sword and the Star Gate masks.

Ofcourse you can cut down on polys in the straight cylinder shapes.
Using 8 sides instead of 12 or 24.

Infact, I've read on another forum, Polycount, all about 3D modelling, this is a classic discussion: cutting down on the poly count.

With recent hardware it doesn't matter that much anymore, certainly on PC.
And yes, Kotor era hardware is still amongst this "recent".

Textures and their sorts (maps) are actually the real killers that kill frame rate.

Ofcourse, its good to try not to model messy and use the polys on the right spots.
Which isn't so easy. Guess that seperates the pro from amateurs like us.

Smoothing. groups.

IIRC DP models in Cinema 4D and I think he mentioned somewhere this program doesn't have such a thing... perhaps its named differantly ?

OR C 4D was made for other purposes then modelling ?

DarthParametric
03-13-2009, 03:40 PM
A quick play in GMax would suggest that smoothing groups do the same thing as phong angles and edge breaks in C4D. I'm not seeing how it is going to wildly improve it. Besides, the only thing really suffering from the low poly count is the butt of the stock, and that's going to be obscured by the hand and the low res nature of KOTOR.

Darth InSidious
03-13-2009, 03:46 PM
No its not :lol:

Some of my weapons go to 2000 or more like my recently released Soul Caliber sword and the Star Gate masks.

Ofcourse you can cut down on polys in the straight cylinder shapes.
Using 8 sides instead of 12 or 24.

Infact, I've read on another forum, Polycoun, all about 3D modelling, this is a classic discussion: cutting down on the poly count.

With recent hardware it doesn't matter that much anymore, certainly on PC.
And yes, Kotor era hardware is still amongst this "recent".
Yes, KotOR will handle it, but best practice, optimisation etc... ? Besides, if you start modelling for older engines, you will run into issues.

Honestly, in KotOR you aren't going to notice the difference if you use 24 sides or 8 with smoothing.

You cite your Soul Caliber sword at ~2000 polies. My khopesh has ~350. Honestly, I don't think it looks any worse on that; when it's textured, I doubt you'll see a difference in quality - except in the quality of the texture, of course. :p

Granted, your model is more complex, but still, that's a very high poly count for a sword model. Especially if you consider it in comparison, say, with the KotOR models. Granted, we can afford a few more polies than those, but still. Generally I try for less than 1000 in most cases. That said, I also tend to do simpler models. :p

Ofcourse, its good to try not to model messy.
Which isn't so easy. Guess that seperates the pro from amateurs like us.

IIRC DP models in Cinema 4D and I think he mentioned somewhere this program doesn't have such a thing... perhaps its named differantly ?

OR C 4D was made for other purposes then modelling ?
Didn't know this.

A quick play in GMax would suggest that smoothing groups do the same thing as phong angles and edge breaks in C4D. I'm not seeing how it is going to wildly improve it. Besides, the only thing really suffering from the low poly count is the butt of the stock, and that's going to be obscured by the hand and the low res nature of KOTOR.
I'm talking about decreasing your poly count, not increasing it.

DarthParametric
03-13-2009, 04:19 PM
The triangulated mesh is around 1180 polys. That's fine as far as I'm concerned. Keeping the poly count as low as possible is an admirable goal, but the whole point of projects like this is to improve the models from the super-low poly Xbox-friendly models KOTOR has, not make more of the same. Granted in most cases you can't fully appreciate the models and textures in-game, but people still want it nonetheless.

Darth InSidious
03-13-2009, 04:24 PM
The triangulated mesh is around 1180 polys. That's fine as far as I'm concerned. Keeping the poly count as low as possible is an admirable goal, but the whole point of projects like this is to improve the models from the super-low poly Xbox-friendly models KOTOR has, not make more of the same. Granted in most cases you can't fully appreciate the models and textures in-game, but people still want it nonetheless.

I'm not talking about doing things as ultra-low poly as the default in-game models, but its still possible to create something with a lot greater detail while still using a fairly low poly-count.

Lord of Hunger
03-13-2009, 07:14 PM
@ DarthParametric: Yes, please do so.

@ DarthInsidious, TriggerGod, and Quanon: I realize that there may be issues with high-poly models may cause frame rate problems, so I'll add a disclaimer. However, I personally prefer to have high-poly, detailed weapons than the irritating ones that come with K1.

Christos K
03-14-2009, 04:32 AM
Nice work with the pistol. I will certainly look forward to this mod along with others :)

Quanon
03-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Yes, KotOR will handle it, but best practice, optimisation etc... ? Besides, if you start modelling for older engines, you will run into issues.

You''ll have to make a serious heavy polycount to make the engine stutter on that alone.

Really, modern graphic cards and the other hardware on your PC can crunch an insane amount of polys in less then seconds.

It is ifcourse true to spend the polys wise. And thats why Smoothing groups are for.

Still if you model decently with quads the overal rendering and shadow applying will much nicer. This is ofcourse more important on player and NPC model then the small weapons.

So you yes its wice to clean your model as much as possible.

You cite your Soul Caliber sword at ~2000 polies. My khopesh has ~350. Honestly, I don't think it looks any worse on that; when it's textured, I doubt you'll see a difference in quality - except in the quality of the texture, of course. :p
Granted, your model is more complex, but still, that's a very high poly count for a sword model. Especially if you consider it in comparison, say, with the KotOR models. Granted, we can afford a few more polies than those, but still. Generally I try for less than 1000 in most cases. That said, I also tend to do simpler models. :p

Well my Soul Caliber has these small twisting wings around a sphere, its this twist, even though it just has 4 sides, that suck up polys.

I think there are more then 20 steps needed to go up and after the sphere.
Its damn small in the game, but hey... I consider that to be my fun in modelling.

And textures can't always hide the straight and hard edges.

Didn't know this.
I'm talking about decreasing your poly count, not increasing it.
[/QUOTE]

Well infact smoothing groups affect the rendering engine (thus the game engine aswell ofcourse) most, as it tells to create extra edges inbetween others... so in the end you get the same like you would have modelled those edges for real, well semi.

As in fact you need to count each vert twice, 3ds Max hides this, but thats all tech talk and I'm not a genious in that :lol:

I just know some facts from reading stuff here and there.

Kotor uses pretty low textures; but this a more dangerious playground.
As textures need to be loaded in the memory.
An increase from the low 64x64 and 128x128 to 256x256 will improve the quality, but I wouldn't start giving each weapon a 512x512 texture.

I can see DI concerns, if you replace each weapon model with a high poly one, remember that the NPCs and enemys use those aswell.

So think of it: your party fully armed and a squad of Sith troopers in the Star Forge each totting an extra amount of 1500+ polys. And effects for their grenades and stuff...

Anyway, the models aren't bad, just keep it in mind :)

I'm not talking about doing things as ultra-low poly as the default in-game models, but its still possible to create something with a lot greater detail while still using a fairly low poly-count.

True, its a balancing act, but still, its a difficult one.
So don't get to hard down on somebody with Hobby 3D skills. ;)

Its ofcourse admirable to improve yourself, but its just not that easy.

DarthParametric
03-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Doing some in-game testing. The hand position probably needs some adjustment.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DL-44_Greedo_Killer_04.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DL-44_Greedo_Killer_04.jpg)

I'm thinking that the DL-44 should be a replacement for the default heavy blaster pistol (w_hvyblstr_001). Maybe have something like the DDC Defender (Leia's blaster on the Tantive IV in ANH) as the replacement for w_blstrpstl_001. Then have the DH-17 as a replacement for the default blaster carbine (w_blstrcrbn_001) and the E-11 as a replacement for the default blaster rifle (w_blstrrfl_001). The DLT-19 and T-21 could be used for heavy repeating blasters (w_hvrptbltr_00x).

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DDC_Defender_01.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DDC_Defender_01.jpg) http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DDC_Defender_02.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DDC_Defender_02.jpg) http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DLT-19_T-21.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DLT-19_T-21.jpg)

I wouldn't start giving each weapon a 512x512 texture.Heh. All my KOTOR models use 1024x1024 textures.

Lord of Hunger
03-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Doing some in-game testing. The hand position probably needs some adjustment.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DL-44_Greedo_Killer_04.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DL-44_Greedo_Killer_04.jpg)

I'm thinking that the DL-44 should be a replacement for the default heavy blaster pistol (w_hvyblstr_001). Maybe have something like the DDC Defender (Leia's blaster on the Tantive IV in ANH) as the replacement for w_blstrpstl_001. Then have the DH-17 as a replacement for the default blaster carbine (w_blstrcrbn_001) and the E-11 as a replacement for the default blaster rifle (w_blstrrfl_001). The DLT-19 and T-21 could be used for heavy repeating blasters (w_hvrptbltr_00x).

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DDC_Defender_01.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DDC_Defender_01.jpg) http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DDC_Defender_02.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DDC_Defender_02.jpg) http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_DLT-19_T-21.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/DLT-19_T-21.jpg)

Heh. All my KOTOR models use 1024x1024 textures.
1) Irregardless of the hand position, those blasters look AWESOME!

2) I actually liked the heavy blaster pistol that came with the game surprisingly, and Leia's DDC Defender definitely seems like a much more elite weapon, a bit too much to be commonly sold on the market. Also, as Quanon and Darth Insidious are debating, there may be issues with too many high poly models.

So here is my suggestions: Take the model, skin, and icon of the heavy blaster and rename it so it can be used as the w_blstrpstl_001. Then take your DL-44 and go ahead and make it the w_hvyblstr_001. Leia's DDC Defender should still be used, but perhaps as a replacement for the Arkanian Heavy Blaster or such (not the Mandalorian one, though, that needs to be very different). The DH-17 works as the default blaster carbine. The E-11 would be perfect as the new (w_blstrrfl_001), by all means! I'm also thinking that the T-21 would be great as the Mandalorian Assault Rifle, something I feel definitely needs a good replacement. Let me know what you think about this.

And again, thank you for all these suggestions and submissions. This is going to be one great mod! :):):):):):):):):):)

@ Darth Betrayal: That, I think, might slow down progress on this mod if we had to come up with entirely new models all together. And not to worry, I'm not replacing all ingame weapons, just the ones that are either irritatingly wretched looking or are reskinned clones of the others. Not to mention, I like the weapons DarthParametric is submitting, and LordRevan999 is submitting a couple of custom swords as well.

@ EnderWiggin: True, though that's the case with all mods. Even before Shem declared that Pikmin was actually Darth Balor, I was honestly considering not downloading TSLCR due to the whole Atris=Darth Traya restoration. But that's the thing about mods: if you want to change your game that way, just install them. If not, don't. Also, from what I can tell it looks like there won't be any .2da editing necessary so people can decide which models they don't want installed.

One thing we do know about this mod: It'll be very, very, very big.

@ Christos K: This mod is built in the spirit of WOTOR, and while it's not a direct expansion to it KWIP will be a good supplement to the awesome idea of more weapon variety. Given that there is no other mod that touches these items, it'll be compatible with every other mod in K1. If this is successful, I'm hoping on making a TSL version (which I didn't think was necessary at first because TSL has way better skins in most areas despite being an incomplete game, but it seems that they simply reused all the same weapons from K1). However, if such is the case that they simply reused the weapons from K1 exactly in addition to their already existing ones, it may be possible to simply put the same files were adding to K1 in TSL without a second thought. I'll have to check it out, though.

Canderis
03-14-2009, 03:04 PM
For replacing some of the rifles you could use these:
http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/endorrebelsoldier/images/endor_hoth_rifle_comparison.jpg

Quanon
03-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Also, as Quanon and Darth Insidious are debating, there may be issues with too many high poly models.

Well, it wasn't my point to stop you guys from creating things; the models are good looking.

And far nicer looking then older ones, no doubt.
I'dd suggest once you get a nice amount replaced, you do some tests, run some battles in the game.

I just remember that the Star Forge was heavy, with all the dark jedi running about, shooting force powers, sith troopers firing, the whole thing sometimes gives hick-ups; frame drops.

Anyway, just do some tests and perhaps but a disclaimer/ warning with the mod that it might be heavy momma ;)

I think it would be good to give an organized mod, each weapon in its own folder, so people can pick out their favorites.

it may be possible to simply put the same files were adding to K1 in TSL without a second thought. I'll have to check it out, though.

Well directly using the model files and UTIs won't work.

Models need be recompiled to the TSL code with MDLops.
And you'll need to create new UTIs or edit those that are in the game.

DarthParametric
03-15-2009, 01:03 AM
My understanding is there is no UTI editing going on, just a model replacement. As you said, they would need to be recompiled for use in TSL.

Will O' The Wisq
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Anyone thought about doing it for TSL?

Canderis
03-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Anyone thought about doing it for TSL?

I might be doing this in my TSLECE mod If enough people don't like the current weapons in game.

Lord of Hunger
03-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Um, if you guys read carefully, I believe that I stated that a TSL version will be made if the K1 version is successful.

HK-42
03-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Um, if you guys read carefully, I believe that I stated that a TSL version will be made if the K1 version is successful.

Well as long as it is all custom, no already in game files used, then it wont be that hard to make a TSL copy using the same guns.

Malpense
03-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Some truly excellent models here, my hat's off to you sir...

A questions: when it comes to giving weapon description, do you intend to make it context sensitive? As in, will you describe it as a weapon from the movie period, or will you create a seperate description for them? Or retain the old ones from those that you're replacing?

TriggerGod
03-16-2009, 08:46 PM
A questions: when it comes to giving weapon description, do you intend to make it context sensitive? As in, will you describe it as a weapon from the movie period, or will you create a seperate description for them? Or retain the old ones from those that you're replacing?

I am guessing that we will assign the models to the blaster that best describes them. For example, IIRC, in K1, there is an item called the "Sith Sniper Rifle". That item would be best to replaced by my Sniper Rifle. DarthParametric's DL-44 would probably replace the Blaster Pistol.

Of course, we may have to make some edits to the uti, but nothing entirely major.

Sith Holocron
03-16-2009, 10:44 PM
The following site has plenty of RL and imaginary examples you might use if you want to have new weapons that weren't in the Star Wars movies themselves: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3l.html

Lord of Hunger
03-17-2009, 01:35 AM
@ Malpense and TriggerGod: The intention of the mod is purely appearance alteration. Unless required, I'd prefer to not alter the .uti files. Why? One, I intend to keep the descriptions the same and two, .uti editing tends to lead to stats editing. The last thing I want to do is edit the stats of the common weapons as I prefer to not make the game any easier. No offense, but as far as I'm concerned a lot of mods have weapons that are too outright powerful or items that pump your character up way too much. If anything, I like mods that improve the power of my opponents without raising the overall difficulty so I have more of a challenge.

In any event, all we are doing is taking models, skins, and icons that we make and rename them so when they go into the override they'll appear rather than the existing models, skins, and icons.

@ TriggerGod: Speaking of which are you still planning on contributing your Sniper Rifle? If so, please upload it to filefront and PM the link when you are finished. Thanks!

@ Sith Holocron: Thanks for the link! However, I kinda like how we are incorporating the movie weapons into the game. Still, we all appreciate the site and we'll probably use it when we run out of ideas (which may very well happen). Cheers!

@ HK-42: That is my general aim should this version be successful. I prefer to alter one game at a time, however, and given that K1 is more stable than TSL I'm attempting to make the modification for this game first.

Will O' The Wisq
03-17-2009, 11:40 AM

D'oh!!
My bad:xp::D

Lord of Hunger
03-17-2009, 09:45 PM
It's all good. :D

DarthJacen
03-18-2009, 01:15 AM
I have some model suggestions that should be futurized:

The M-16A2 Assault Rifle should replace some of the blaster rifles

The M 40 Remmington Sniper Rifle should replace the sniper rifles

The M9 or a Glock 19 (police variant) should replace some of the pistols

and the MP5 and M4 should replace some of the carbines

as for heavy weapons the Vulcan 22 mm six barrell gatling gun should replace that or the M2 Browning .50 caliber machine gun

If anyone would like to post some screenshots of these firearms that would be great, again they need to be futurized.

Drunkside
03-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Ok i have tried to stop myself(since i would have tons of things to do even without this) but i gotta offer my help. I could make a lamea$$ model for some sword if youre interested...

Lord of Hunger
03-18-2009, 11:10 AM
@ Drunkside: I appreciate your offer. If you feel like contributing, I need an Enchani Foil and a Yusani's Brand. The former is a vibrosword and the latter a double-bladed vibrosword.

@ DarthJacen: Thank you for your suggestions, though it looks like DarthParametric and TriggerGod have all of those covered.

Drunkside
03-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Ok one echani foil coming as soon as i find the time.

Lord of Hunger
03-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Good news! Azzamen just contacted me and he's been working on the Mandalorian Weapons. Given that there is more than two (Mandalorian Pistol, Heavy Blaster, Ripper, and Assault Rifle), I'm probably going to need everyone's contributions. I'm updating the original post.

DarthParametric
03-21-2009, 03:36 PM
The MMO has put up some pics of blasters for the first announced playable class - Bounty Hunter. They may prove useful as inspiration.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_MMO-BH-Blasters.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/MMO-BH-Blasters.jpg)

http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/bounty-hunter

TriggerGod
03-21-2009, 04:03 PM
The MMO has put up some pics of blasters for the first announced playable class - Bounty Hunter. They may prove useful as inspiration.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_MMO-BH-Blasters.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/MMO-BH-Blasters.jpg)

http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/bounty-hunter

I like their style of guns, but they are just doing the same thing the KOTOR and TSL did; use the same gun model (they took it a step further by adding things for modifications) but reskinned for everything.

I'll try my hand at a variation of the gun in the bottom right hand corner.

DarthParametric
03-21-2009, 04:25 PM
I think it's more a case of them showing that a single weapon type has multiple colour options as well as upgrades. There's just the two weapon types there - I don't think each colour scheme is meant to be a completely different type of weapon. They keep prattling on about weapon customisation, so I'm sure we'll see more models in the final game.

Drunkside
03-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Heres a funky-looking echani foil:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/Drunkside/Echanifoilpic.jpg

Darth Payne
03-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Hey, that kinda looks like one of the swords in Final Touch.

Drunkside
03-22-2009, 09:55 AM
In what? :xp: Now also in colors:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/Drunkside/Echanifoilpic2.jpg

Lord of Hunger
03-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Awesome Drunkside! Can you make the blade a bit longer?

Drunkside
03-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Yep, was thinking of that myself too. its really quick to do, will get to it soon and there will probably be yet another screenshot of it today.

EDIT: Yeah, took 5 minutes to get it right:p
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/Drunkside/Echanifoilpic-1.jpg

Lord of Hunger
03-22-2009, 01:52 PM
*dies of awe*

Drunkside, you are absolutely amazing. That is a work of art. No wait...art is a work of Drunkside! :D :D :D :D

In any event, that is really, really cool. If you can please substitute it for the original Echani foil into the game and put up some screenshots to see how well it works, that'd be really helpful. I'd like to know three things:

1) How well the animations hold in combat.
2) If the hand positioning is correct (DarthParametric said he was having that problem with his blaster so it'd be good to make sure that whoever holds this weapon isn't holding thin air).
3) If it affects the frame rate at all. This is option, since it's more than likely that the combined amount of high poly weapons introduced are going to slow the game down a bit. Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with that, but it'd be good to find out if any particular weapon is going to freeze the game completely.

Drunkside
03-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Ok im uploading an xfire video right now, will edit this post when its ready. I can answer the questions though: It doesnt really clip at all(well, one of the fingers kinda wants to stick out when not in combat, but i thought it looked cool so i didnt fix it:xp: ), the positioning is correct and it didnt slow my computer down(i do have quite a good comp so i cant really say what it will do to older ones).

RAWR:http://www.xfire.com/video/928d5/ I kinda forgot to take video of the dual wield anims, but fear not, i tried them myself and they work just as fine as the single weapon anims.

Will O' The Wisq
03-22-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm following this thread with excitement :D

HK-42
03-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Looks good guys, keep it up.

Lord of Hunger
03-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Okay, that was fantastic! Bravo, Drunkside! I think that if you have the model, skin, and icon finished we should release them on KOTORFiles as a demo, perhaps with DarthParametric's Heavy Blaster, if you guys are okay with that. It'll be the 0.1 of KWIP.

In any event, thank you so much for the work that you've put into this Drunkside, DarthParametric, and all contributing modders. And also thank you to our supporters. We're glad to have the enthusiasm of this community on our side.

Wedge Suron
03-23-2009, 04:44 AM
This is looking nice. Drunkside, that new version of the sword is slightly too long.

Drunkside
03-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Its okay to me, just pm me your email and ill send it over. I already zipped it too:p The blade is actually of almost exact lenghth of the original vibrosword models, its just way thinner. And btw, since this went so well and quickly (trust me it doesnt happen often to me) i could make Naga Sadows poison blade as well. Got some ideas yesterday evening concerning snakes, skulls and katanas:xp:

EDIT: Like this
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/Drunkside/nagasadowsblade1.jpg

From another angle so you can get a look at the hand protector:dev14:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/Drunkside/nagasadowsblade2.jpg

It doesnt look as good as the echani foil, but its a WIP:xp:

Lord of Hunger
03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
1) Unfortunately I am not allowed to share my email. Nothing personal, I'm just not allowed. However, if you upload it to filefront and PM the link I can download it. Thanks!

2) Regarding Naga Sadow's Poison Blade: You've got the job! I like what you have so far...definitely a POISON BLADE. :D

Hell, if LordRevan999 wasn't contributing I'd just let you do all the swords. :D Thank you for volunteering again, btw.

Drunkside
03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Ahh thats ok. Its your job email or something:xp: I dont have access to filefront uploads, but i have a box account. check your private mail. And its my pleasure to be contributing here, this is a great mod, i love making weird things people can use to stab other people, and its also good practice. Damn i should thank you for making this pack:xp:

Lord of Hunger
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Okay, I've downloaded it. And I thank you and everyone else so much because since I can't mod all I can do is ask for materials. This is all, when it comes down to it, your work, and LordRevan999's, and DarthParametric's, and TriggerGod's, etc..

Wedge Suron
03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
You can't have too many Modders on a mod, let them work together perhaps.

Lord of Hunger
03-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Good point, though I have no measure in place against such.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to get a couple more weapons so I can put out a demo on KOTORFiles.

HK-42
03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
You can't have too many Modders on a mod, let them work together perhaps.

If the "leader" has a good memory and great since of organization you can.

Drunkside
03-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Ive made some changes to the nagas sword, and it loks a helluva lot better than it used to. Will try to make the extract soon, but i have a test week at school now so most of my time goes to studying.

EDIT: Ok scratch everything i said above, and click here:http://www.xfire.com/video/94332/:xp: Lord o hunger, check your private mail for the link:p Sry for the bad vid, didnt go quite the way i wanted:D

Damn im on a freaking modeling frenzy... I gotta make the yusanis brand as well! I just cant remember whats it like originally, i have an idea. I should shut my head down before i get so many ideas that this mod is what i will do the rest of my life...

memarik
03-25-2009, 07:13 AM
yeah i like the blaster to :D

will you add new hilts too or is it basically more of a guns and blades conversion?

Drunkside
03-25-2009, 07:59 AM
As i have understood its just a visual improvisation for the weapons... Though somebody could make an improved model for the basic lightsaber too.

DarthParametric
03-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Haven't had much time for modding of late, but I managed to whip up a DH-17. My references for this aren't so great, so it's basically an amalgam of the ANH and ROTJ versions. Not mapped or textured yet, and the mesh probably needs a couple of tweaks.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_Blastech_DH-17_Render.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/Blastech_DH-17_Render.jpg)

Lord of Hunger
03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
@ Drunkside: Excellent work, just downloaded the file!

@ DarthParametric: Cool stuff there! I think we should definitely use that as the Mandalorian Blaster (not to be confused with the Heavy Blaster, since I contacted Azzamen and he's still working on that).

Drunkside
03-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Real nice blaster there DP!

Lord of Hunger
03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Here's an update on the mod:

1) I have decided that this mod will be an ongoing project, meaning that I will be making continual releases rather than a single "final" release, though I am sure there will be a point where there may be no more weapons to replace.
2) Anyone may contribute. In fact, I invite everyone who can to contribute as it will speed up the rate at which we can improve the quality of this game's weaponry.
3){Snip} Discussions of mod hosting are considered off topic. This is a subject for PM's. Thanks. -RH

That's all for now. Thank you everyone again for your support.

Lord of Hunger

memarik
03-27-2009, 04:09 AM
it would be even nice to make the grenades and some armos all new..

but i think having allready the weapons improved it a big step

Drunkside
03-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Yusanis´ brand: http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/Drunkside/yusanisbrandy1.jpg Should i make the hand protectors golden like in the echani foil? It would keep the likeness of the two weapons visible.

Drunkside
03-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Lord of hunger, check your PMs please. Didnt bother making a vid this time, it takes too much time and i havent got just that. Ill just say that its the most non-echani looking echani weapon you have ever seen:xp:

Wedge Suron
03-29-2009, 02:56 PM
This'll be good, I can tell.

T7nowhere
03-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Model and texture done.

That is a great looking Blaster model, although you probably could have gotten away with and 8 sided ngon for the barrel and muzzel as well as the other little details.

However I do remember how hard it was to keep it low poly. I always had to keep reminding myself that the weapon would never be seen upclose in the game. Still though alot of my models were pretty high compared to other mods.

@Lord of Hunger do you intend to replace the model for all the weapons in the game or just the models. I would suggest starting with just the models. Trying to give a unique model for every Weapon is near impossible. You would end up working on the mod for 8 hours a day for a year.

Lord of Hunger
03-29-2009, 04:56 PM
T7nowhere: !!!

My thread has been blessed with thine appearance!

Kidding. Still, I'm glad that you, the amazing co-creator of WOTOR and USM, comment on this project.

Here's how this works: People who feel like contributing to KWIP go out individually and create a unique model, skin, and icon for a particular weapon. They name it so that when one plugs these files into the override, they just replace the weapon in question. From what I can tell it doesn't really take very long for someone to create these weapons, since I've already received three weapons from Drunkside already.

I hope you like what we are doing. You and your WOTOR was my inspiration for this.

@ Everyone: Just made an update to the original post. Weapon statuses have been updated, and more weapons have been added.

DarthParametric
03-29-2009, 11:50 PM
From what I can tell it doesn't really take very long for someone to create these weapons, since I've already received three weapons from Drunkside already.You assume wrong. Modelling, mapping and texturing can be extremely time-intensive processes. Just because one person happened to spit out a few finished models in short order, don't think that everyone can just make these things at the drop of hat. Complex multi-part models (like blasters) can take a lot of work.

Lord of Hunger
03-30-2009, 12:05 AM
My apologies. I am ignorant in modding as ever. :D

Drunkside
03-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Yeah they can, especially if you try to make them detailed:p I just get a funky idea, model it, figure out colors for the weapon, make a quick coloring. If it looks cool i make the texture better, but my skinning is really low class, no great looking little details and stuff like that anywhere. I just figure out a color theme for them and, as DP said, spit it on the tga. Im without any doubt the worst modeler contributing here.

And btw, mark me as the maker of the prototype vibroblade:xp: A blade make out of a glasslike substance... MMMMM. But then again, im finally starting my first big mod today, so it may not come out as quickly as the three others.

Lord of Hunger
03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Well if you claim to be the worst modeler contributing here and your weapons are best than the ones that come with KOTOR, what does that say about Bioware? :D

Regarding the Prototype Vibroblade: Done. Sounds cool. And best of luck with your own mod, if you need help let me know.

Wedge Suron
03-30-2009, 01:03 PM
How much complete is this?

Lord of Hunger
03-30-2009, 01:09 PM
3 weapons done, a lot in progress, and others waiting for someone to make them. This is an ongoing project so there is no "complete" exactly. Eventually we'll run out of weapons to improve but until then....

Wedge Suron
03-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Ok.

memarik
03-31-2009, 02:10 AM
well this is getting interesting :D
how much content do you have now about?

Lord of Hunger
03-31-2009, 02:25 AM
Like I said, we have 3 weapons finished and a bunch in production. All those weapons are swords.

NOTE: In the future, please read my earlier posts. Thanks! :D

Jammy-Jedi
03-31-2009, 06:55 AM
Nice really nice i'm looking forward to this with anticipation.

Keep up the good work.

memarik
03-31-2009, 07:19 AM
aah sorry didnt notice the earlier post stupid me :D

can you release eny pics of the three swords?

Drunkside
03-31-2009, 08:17 AM
You know, the gmax mesh pictures are there in my posts... And there are even vids of the two first.

memarik
03-31-2009, 08:19 AM
i think i cant see them.. could you show them to me?

Drunkside
03-31-2009, 09:09 AM
They are in posts 69, 71, 83, 91.

memarik
03-31-2009, 02:05 PM
yeah i got them :) looks good so far

Darth_Yuthura
04-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Looking forward to this, but don't sacrifice your normal life for this.

Drunkside
04-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Normal life? my normal life consists of playing games, playing guitar, modding and school. Wait i also have frends... Its just that i havent visited them for some time:p

DarthParametric
04-01-2009, 12:48 PM
That is a great looking Blaster model, although you probably could have gotten away with and 8 sided ngon for the barrel and muzzel as well as the other little details.Thanks T7. That's high praise indeed.

As far as reducing the poly count, I figured there wasn't much to be gained by going too low, as the whole point of the project is to replace the default super-low poly models. It is something that I've constantly thought about with my saber models though. I know you'll never actually see the details in-game, but people still seem to want it regardless.

Lord of Hunger
04-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Actually I've been able to make out some of the detail with high poly models. It's kinda cool!

In any event:

Revan vs. [K1] The KOTOR Weaponry Improvement Project

Who do you think? A kick*** Dark Lord of the Sith with amnesia or an awesome mod that's just gotten started?

Discuss! :D

Seikan
04-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Have this in the game would be cool (the heavy blaster)

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/e/eb/MandaloreUltimate_uvg.jpg/315px-MandaloreUltimate_uvg.jpg

Lord of Hunger
04-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Whoa, uh, that's a rifle...:D I pretty cool rifle, but a rifle nonetheless.

Also, that's a weapon I'd reserve for Mandalore himself.

Thanks anyway, though!

DarthParametric
04-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Whoa, uh, that's a rifleI think that's the problem with the term "blaster". Pretty much all blaster pistols, blaster carbines, and blaster rifles get referred to generically as "blasters".

Lord of Hunger
04-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Hmm...you have a point. Though I think I've heard blaster pistols referred to as blasters and blaster rifles referred to as blaster rifles. But I could be wrong! :D

Btw, how's the DL-44?

DarthJacen
04-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Ok im uploading an xfire video right now, will edit this post when its ready. I can answer the questions though: It doesnt really clip at all(well, one of the fingers kinda wants to stick out when not in combat, but i thought it looked cool so i didnt fix it:xp: ), the positioning is correct and it didnt slow my computer down(i do have quite a good comp so i cant really say what it will do to older ones).

RAWR:http://www.xfire.com/video/928d5/ I kinda forgot to take video of the dual wield anims, but fear not, i tried them myself and they work just as fine as the single weapon anims.

Can you do a similar main gauche for the off hand? That would really bring out the Renaissance feel.

DarthParametric
04-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Btw, how's the DL-44?Haven't had any time for mods of late. Too many other demands on my time. I might be able to get back to it next week.

Lord of Hunger
04-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Cool, no problem. I was just hoping to release a 0.1 on KOTORFiles soon and I'd like to have at least one blaster pistol.

Drunkside
04-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Can you do a similar main gauche for the off hand? That would really bring out the Renaissance feel.

Well see about that:xp: Im not promising anything but i could be able to make something similar if i just find the time.

Seikan
04-03-2009, 04:00 PM
http://fr.guildwars.com/images/uploads/sword.jpg

how about this sword?, and in k2 theres a swart that like a lightsaber you can "put on" and that make an colored aura to the sword, so maybe you can do the same thing with that and the normal image will be the sword "off" and the image with the sort of poison the sword "on"

Jedi_Man
04-04-2009, 09:07 PM
I'll start my introduction like my others:
While, I have no modding skills, I can provide a story, or in this case, the background for some of the weapons if you think it should be changed.
If no help is needed, then oh well, This mod will be in my override!

Lord of Hunger
04-05-2009, 12:41 AM
@ Seikan: I like the sword there, perhaps Drunkside or LordRevan999 can use it for one of the replacements.

@ Jedi_Man: Oh, well thank you for volunteering. However, I must remind you that this mod is for the purpose of replacing weapon models only, not adding storylines.

Still, grateful for your offer and glad that you are willing to try out this mod when the first release is ready. If I do add some sort of storyline element, I'll let you know. :D

Lord of Hunger

Jedi_Man
04-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Oh, I know that, I was just wondering if a few weapons needed changing in their descriptions, I could help with that.

Drunkside
04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
You know, if any sword i made would need a change in the description i would be more than skilled enough to change it myself. And if i can do it then all the other modelers can do it as well.

Lord of Hunger
04-05-2009, 11:38 PM
No weapons need description changes. Please read the posts in the thread before commenting.

Seikan
04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/images/community/update1/weapons2.gif

and why not make others weapons than blasters and swords?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/phyreblade_blog/King%20of%20Swords/MidnightDragonBladepolearm.jpg
http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/c/cmaz_540.jpg
http://www.marshallshort.com/images/katar.jpg

http://vampjac.com/lj/humor/gygax/Player_Weapons.jpg this one! xD

DarthParametric
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
It's a default weapons replacement mod, not an adding new custom weapons mod. There are already a gazillion of those.

Seikan
04-09-2009, 12:54 AM
change the staff who no one use to one of this, and one of these swords to the long sword
http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/images/community/update1/weapons2.gif

change the shorts sword to katars

Drunkside
04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I usually dont make anything already existing, since im not very good at replicating other people´s work. I just figure out a design and then model it:xp:

Seikan
04-10-2009, 12:53 PM
you can always take some ideas from other people's work :p

Drunkside
04-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Yeah i do that but i am not willing to try to make replicas.

DarthParametric
04-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Haven't had any time for mods the last couple of weeks, but I finally managed to spend some time on the DH-17 tonight. Still needs some tweaking - it's a tad large and the position needs fine tuning, but it's mostly done

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_Blastech_DH-17_Rebel_Blaster.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/Blastech_DH-17_Rebel_Blaster.jpg)

Lord of Hunger
04-25-2009, 01:33 PM
That is simply awesome, DP. It'll make the perfect replacement for the blaster rifle. I was actually about to make a 0.1 release recently, but I'll wait for this (and the DL-44 if possible) to be finished. Good work Parametric. You are taking KOTOR to new heights.

DarthParametric
04-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks, but that's probably a tad over the top. Neither model is anything particularly special.

Lord of Hunger
04-27-2009, 07:10 PM
UPDATE: Good news, Queen of Night has agreed to let us use her new Trandoshan Sword for KWIP. That's four complete weapons now. As soon as I get some stuff from DarthParametric, I will release KWIP 1.0.

Drunkside
04-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Ok great news!!

Brindisium
05-09-2009, 06:22 AM
I'm looking forward to one last play through of this great old game - and wanted to stick my head in and say thanks to those of you trying to pull this together. :thmbup1:

Lord of Hunger
05-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks, we definitely appreciate that Brindisium. Progress has slowed down from real life obligations and other projects, but I'm hoping that we will get some more new models very soon and be able to release the 1.0.

vanir
05-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Just been getting into a replay of K1 for the first time in several years. First time with a modded version (I cut my modding teeth after TSL came out).
Don't do modelling myself unfortunately, just scripting and editing.

Have very much been looking forward to a reskin of the stock main weapons in game. It's already been said there's tons of custom weapons available but that was never what I was really after. Once I've tossed in my movie-sabre hilts, the great WotOR mod the main thing which still makes me frown are the stock blaster pistol, carbine and rifle models, the Mandal ripper, Arkanian blasters, things like that. They suck, they're too big and the detail's too low to be so big, they look like leggo toys where I want to see movie-like proportion and detail (I absolutely love the detail of the movie-sabre hilts for example, and yes you can see it in game and yes it does make a difference).

As for frame rate, effects and area meshes are the only killer I notice. My system's only a 2g single core but it can crunch anything short of a bunch of grenade explosions in the midst of 12 ppl having melee just fine. It has no prob with polys on any modded game I use, most of them I turn the graphics up to max and add some tweaks with no trouble.

The movie guns look good and are consistent with the movie style sabre hilts everybody pretty much uses (DH17 is a bit oversized, only needs to be slightly larger than a pistol to be good as a carbine, this type represents a sort of machine pistol I'd say, like an uzi, mac-10 or H&K).

This is passable considering the timeline is only about a thousand years BBY as opposed to the four thousand or so of the Qel Droma era. But I think it is also important to look at the differences between the earlier age and ANH timeline in terms of atmosphere. The weapons models I think are one of the primary theme dictates of this type of setting, even moreso than the starships.

Think about it. An old MandalMotors cruiser or a new Bulk Freighter, there isn't a whole lot of difference. One or the other design could be a thousand years old, or it could look and perform little differently to a thousand years earlier. Certainly there'll be some differences in the latest model warships, skiffs and yachts but these will be mostly visual and in terms of capital warships probably a scale difference more than anything (representing the economic advancements of continued galactic expansion).

But personal weapons, now these change. Not in functionality, but definitely appearance and even by type.

If anyone remembers the Tales of the Old Republic d6 SW RPG expansion, they modelled the game stats for the Qel Droma era and it was an interesting departure from the ANH/NR/NJO settings of the regular RPG and expansions. The single greatest difference was the development of power cells and reactors, they were much larger and heavier items back then. This one single stipulation changed the whole environment.

Only large star cruisers could supply the power demands for powerful laser weapons, smaller vessels relied on missiles and concussion launchers. Different countermeasures are used for these types of weapons than lasers so this also changed the look and armour type of most small starships.

In personal weapons it took a bulky, heavy power cell to supply a blaster weapon. Something with the output of an ANH era blaster pistol, was about the size of heft of a rifle and very expensive. Most people used advanced firearms, an assault version of which would be very similar to the Mandalorian Ripper in KotOR. Heavy pistols similar perhaps to a Desert Eagle were very popular as a sidearm, these had the same destructive capabilities of the blaster, but just did damage differently (physical instead of energy damage for armour purposes).

Personal armour was also very different. It offered almost no protection against energy weapons but then relatively few energy weapons were around. It had great protection against physical damage.
Lightsabres were also very different. The hilts and blades pretty much looked the same, but a power cord ran from the base of the hilt to the Jedi's belt, where bulky power cell was kept to power it.

In this age Sith weapons were actually very deadly. The basic Sith Sword was an alchemised physical weapon capable of blocking lightsabres due to the crystalisation of its metal during construction, it also tended to slice through the thickest armour with ease (dealing only slightly less outright damage to a lightsabre, though again physical rather than energy damage). Since most security forces and militaries were using firearms it was totally common to see Sith heavily armoured, particularly Sith Lords (this being some paranoia about assassination by competitors).
Alchemically mutated minions were also very effective combatants, as hardened hides could be as effective as heavy armour, whilst fang and claw just as good as any blade.

Generally speaking this earlier, rougher age of the galaxy was largely dissipated by the arrival of miniaturisation technology in power cells. As energy weapons became commonplace particularly among planetary security forces at relatively low cost, the role of the Jedi Knight became less the warrior and more the advisor, whilst conventional territorial forces became more than capable of looking after themselves in anything short of all out warfare with an equivalent industrial and technological planetary system.
The galaxy had changed and with it the Jedi had changed.

What I think works well for KotOR is being right in the middle of these two important and very different eras, and that it is a visual difference most importantly in terms of personal equipment between these two pivotal eras.

So I'd like to see you know, a good mix between the two ages. We need some real ancient looking weapons for things like the Mandalorian Ripper, don't modernise the look but make them look from yesteryear, an age long since past. Whilst the DL44 and DH17 represent nicely the new age of blaster weapons in which KotOR is right at the threshold.

Lord of Hunger
05-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Thank you for your input. Apparently you've been doing your homework Vanir. :D However, I will point out that we have a limited supply of submissions and I'll take whatever I can get. If possible, I'll go back and see if some stuff can be improved, but frankly I just want to "get 'er done".

DarthParametric
05-13-2009, 02:05 AM
DH17 is a bit oversized, only needs to be slightly larger than a pistolWhilst the DH-17 model is currently a tad too large, it won't ever be as small as a pistol. The movie prop was based on the same Sterling sub-machinegun that the E-11 (Stormtrooper blaster rifle) was based on. The two are the same size (or if anything the DH-17 is slightly longer). Here's a comparison of the two props:

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_BlasterPropComparison.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/BlasterPropComparison.jpg)

Although it is often referred to as a "blaster pistol", I've always considered it to be a blaster rifle given its size. If the DH-17 is a pistol, so is the E-11.

RedHawke
05-13-2009, 02:38 AM
Whilst the DH-17 model is currently a tad too large, it won't ever be as small as a pistol. The movie prop was based on the same Sterling sub-machinegun that the E-11 (Stormtrooper blaster rifle) was based on. The two are the same size (or if anything the DH-17 is slightly longer). Here's a comparison of the two props:

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_BlasterPropComparison.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/BlasterPropComparison.jpg)

Although it is often referred to as a "blaster pistol", I've always considered it to be a blaster rifle given its size. If the DH-17 is a pistol, so is the E-11.
The name for the weapon class is... carbine (at least in the Pnp Games). The Blaster "Rifle" was the longer weapon.

Smaller than rifles, and larger than pistols. ;)

vanir
05-13-2009, 02:55 AM
Holy crap you're right. But I did always think of the E-11 as a carbine myself. Back when I GM'd d6 RPG I didn't know the stormtrooper gun was called the E-11 and was a rifle, we used carbine stats for stormtrooper guns until we found out.

I guess most blaster rifles use solid stocks, where the E-11 is a folding stock which starts to blur the line a bit. The mechanic we used when we switched to blaster rifle stats (slightly better range and can be upgraded, carbines can't), our reasoning was that the Empire with all its wealth could use the very highest technology from BlasTech, where SoroSuub was the major Rebellion supplier and was not as big a corporation, and the Rebellion could not afford to subsidise cutting edge development. So the E-11 has the dimensions of most carbines (adding a folding stock), but is a more refined construction and can handle much higher power loading without overheating. Hence a carbine that acts like a rifle.

Amazing what the imagination can invent in terms of fictional reasoning isn't it :P

..add
actually we had these really cool Storm Commandos from the Outer Rim expansion who used to run around with matt black Scout Trooper Armour (called "reflect coated and sound dampened" which added stealth bonuses of course and had no Dex penalty armour usually has), they had two holsters and a vibrosheath, and got around with an E-11 strapped to a thigh plus a backup blaster pistol on the hip, most using dual weapons in combat. Just about the toughest Stormtroopers in the game (their generic stats were through the roof).
Then you had Radtroopers in radiation sealed Stormtrooper armour (reflective silver). Now those guys were deadly with force pikes, only our Jedi could take them in melee, and in high radiation environments you can't use energy weapons...

Yup, I loved the Storm Commandos, oh and it was called "Reflec" coating. (Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim) One of my fav's because of these guys. I Co-DM'd a game where we played a team of them, my friend and I would rotate as DM's so our group could play Imperial SEALS type adventures. ;) -RH

Drunkside
05-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello again good people of this thread. I just wanted to stop by and say that im taking a little break from my blackguard mod, and decided to model the prototype vibroblade i already promised to make.

EDIT:So it took me a bit over an hour to make this.... I dont like it very much myself since its not exactly what i wanted it to look but ill leave it to the public to decide.

See the little line? Its a stick that keeps the weapon intact:xp:
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/313f721d478ca4956ab85702a7ffec7e14d40764.png

You cant see it from the other side for some reason...
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/e1ff017986b53faf38c2d24f0b7bd3cdec0b5fa9.png

And the mod is about high poly models? Well then you will be very pleased with this, it took the mdlops ages to read it...

Lord of hunger, check your PMs for a link.

Lord of Hunger
05-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Thank you Drunkside. As we discussed in the PM, it'll be used as the Sith Tremor Sword instead.

As soon as we get something from DarthParametric, I'm releasing the 1.0 to KOTORFiles.

Drunkside
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah the V1! Heh ill be sure to download it, even if half the weapons are made by me:p

vanir
05-13-2009, 08:50 PM
That would work as the prototype vibroblade if it was shrunk 30% and the blade made polished metal.

For a Sith Tremor Sword wouldn't it look better if the hand-guard was a bit more claw-like?
A spikey guard, and slightly narrower at the base of the blade. Like a cross between a black widow spider and a sword, slender and feminine yet dark and deadly.

Drunkside
05-14-2009, 08:51 AM
It was never intended to be a sith tremor sword, i just wanted to make a sword with a blade made of glasslike substance. LOH just felt that its more fitting as the sith tremor, and i had no problem with that.

vanir
05-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Still we do need something special for the prototype vibroblade I think. The very word "prototype" conjures up a uniqueness that the in-game weapon just doesn't have.

Shame I can't model. I can't even use photoshop :P but I can figure out scripting cold...I'm a words and languages man creatively.

Lord of Hunger
06-09-2009, 10:10 PM
MAJOR UPDATE: I am pleased to announce that my teammate on Team Hssiss, Canderis, has recently learned how to model and skin. He will be contributing...wait for it...lightsabers! Originally I said I didn't want lightsabers as part of this mod, but I've changed my mind.

Canderis will be providing lightsabers for this mod, resulting in an aspect of this mod that will resemble USM. However, the goal will be full integration with KOTOR. The system works as follows:

-The current set of lightsabers will be replaced with new models, and will be known as conventional lightsabers.
-Each Jedi and Sith who have not received unique lightsabers from WOTOR will now be given their own unique saber. However, hilt designs will differ depending on faction.
-Crystals for unique hilts will be common throughout the game, but not randomly. They will be found where it makes sense to find them (Crystal Caves, Sith bases, Jedi bases, Unknown World/Lehon/Rakata Prime etc.), and will not have special attributes.

While Canderis will be the main supplier of hilts, I am accepting hilts as long as they are decent quality. Neither low poly and overly high poly. If you are interested, post a screen and I will send you PM confirming yeah or nay.

Anyway, that's all for now. Check out Canderis' thread for some awesome pics of his lightsaber models.

Cheers,

Lord of Hunger

Christos K
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Awesome Lord of Hunger! This just makes this mod even better. Just have to ask one thing will the light sabers part be compatible with any of Oldflashes saber skins?

TriggerGod
06-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Awesome Lord of Hunger! This just makes this mod even better. Just have to ask one thing will the light sabers part be compatible with any of Oldflashes saber skins?

oldflash's sabers are for TSL, not K1. Although if they were for K1, they would be incompatible, since we will be replacing the base lightsabers.

DarthParametric
06-12-2009, 01:55 PM
oldflash's sabers are for TSL, not K1.He has done hilts for both. I believe Christos K would primarily be referring to this - http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Movie_Style_Replacement_Lightsaber_Hilts;72773 As you say though, default hilt replacements are not compatible.

Christos K
07-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Thats too bad. Oh well I will probably use some from this mod and some from that mod depending on my opinions. :p

Lord of Hunger
08-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone.

Just to let you know, this mod is far from dead in case you were think that. DarthParametric submitted his reskins and remodels of the blaster pistol and rifle, and I'm trying to find someone willing to render Canderis' remodels of the single-bladed saber and shoto. I will have a YouTube video of the blaster pistol and rifle up soon to give you an ingame preview of the work that has been done.

Canderis
08-04-2009, 11:07 PM
You forgot I am donating my ak-47 model to this mod as well. It will be done and ingame by Sunday.

DarthParametric
08-05-2009, 12:01 AM
"Reskin" is a misnomer. They are new models with new skins. Better just to say default model replacement.

TriggerGod
08-06-2009, 01:06 AM
speaking of new models, me and Canderis (and a little bit of DP :p) collaborated to create the saber portion of the KWIP. I used the Double Hexic (nicknamed double helix) with a brand new skin and map, Candy made the model for the single and shoto (short) saber, and I skinned and mapped the short saber.

here is double helix:
http://a.imagehost.org/0180/Helix.png

and here is the short saber:
http://a.imagehost.org/0146/curved.png

Candy should be posting the single saber soon.

Canderis
08-06-2009, 09:23 PM
http://a.imagehost.org/0377/hilt.jpg
Single-blade hilt, untextured.

TriggerGod
08-06-2009, 11:36 PM
http://a.imagehost.org/0377/hilt.jpg
Single-blade hilt, untextured.

Single-blade hilt; textured:
http://a.imagehost.org/0399/single.png

:)

Quanon
08-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Looks a bit like a fat can to be honest.
Though these pre renders can be misleading :)

TriggerGod
08-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Looks a bit like a fat can to be honest.
Though these pre renders can be misleading :)

How many cans do you know that have prong-like things sticking out of the top? :p

It looks kinda like a bottle because of the grips...

DarthParametric
08-07-2009, 01:58 PM
A question arises. Why the sudden inclusion of saber hilts? Wasn't this project meant to be about all the neglected weapons? There are 20 gaziliion hilt mods already, many of which replace the default hilts.

Lord of Hunger
08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Partially because me and Canderis are on the same modding Team and I agreed to let him and Trig include their hilts in the mod. And also because I was getting really fed up with the ingame hilts.

Then there was the factor that WOTOR adds some hilts as well. This is meant to be a sort of unofficial expansion to the idea of WOTOR and works alongside it. Any weapon that was not improved in WOTOR that needs to be improved will be improved in KWIP.

Not to worry, though. The main focus of this mod is still the blasters and blades. I have used your blaster remodels and it is awesome to not only use a blaster pistol or rifle but to see NPCs using them as well!

UPDATE: Hilts are coming close to completion. Also, this mod intends to give the Sith and Dark Jedi their own set of standard hilts, which TriggerGod graciously agreed to provide.

The video have been mentioning repeatedly is yet to come. I might have that done at the end of the day.

Also, I am adding a page on the Team Hssiss website for KWIP that will be a gallery of screenshots and KWIP videos for your entertainment. Coming soon!

Canderis
08-08-2009, 03:52 PM
http://h.imagehost.org/0268/short.jpg

Drunkside
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Wanna know my opinion? Of course you wont but nothing can stop it. I say scale the shoto´s model down.

Lord of Hunger
08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
That's a possibility. For now we'll use the shoto as it is.

Lord of Hunger
08-10-2009, 09:26 PM
UPDATE:

At last I finished and uploaded the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsQGDaEudA8

And I also finished the website page: teamhssiss.webs.com/kwip.htm

:thmbup1::thmbup1::thmbup1:

Drunkside
08-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Kool now you just need to make vids of the rest of the weapons :xp: And Btw the page looks great!

DarthParametric
08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
And I also finished the website page: teamhssiss.webs.com/kwip.htmThe Double Hexic/Helix saber was modelled by me. TG UV mapped and textured it. I would appreciate being properly credited for that and any other sabers I modelled for TG that get used in the project.

Lord of Hunger
08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
@ DarthParametric: Sure thing. TriggerGod must have forgotten to tell me Helix was yours.

UPDATE: While I have been waiting for the single bladed saber replacement by TriggerGod, Yatsuke has agreed to join this project. He will be building the replacements for the Krath Swords.

Here is his Krath Blood Blade:

http://h.imagehost.org/0882/Image_08-18-2009_18-16-05.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/download/0882/Image_08-18-2009_18-16-05)

http://h.imagehost.org/0499/Image_08-18-2009_18-16-25.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/download/0499/Image_08-18-2009_18-16-25)

http://h.imagehost.org/0388/Image_08-18-2009_18-17-22.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/download/0388/Image_08-18-2009_18-17-22)

Will update the site now, and give DP his proper credit.

Yatsookey
08-18-2009, 07:51 PM
hey guys, heres a render of the krath double blade ive been working on, sorry its untextured, i would do it but, idk how to UVW map in gmax, anyways here they are

http://h.imagehost.org/0371/Image_08-18-2009_19-42-55.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/download/0371/Image_08-18-2009_19-42-55)

http://h.imagehost.org/0691/Image_08-18-2009_19-44-08.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/download/0691/Image_08-18-2009_19-44-08)

and here are the renders for the Krath Dire Sword

http://h.imagehost.org/0725/Image_08-18-2009_20-34-24.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/download/0725/Image_08-18-2009_20-34-24)

http://h.imagehost.org/0909/Image_08-18-2009_20-34-07.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/download/0909/Image_08-18-2009_20-34-07)

http://h.imagehost.org/0059/Image_08-18-2009_20-33-46.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/download/0059/Image_08-18-2009_20-33-46)

thats all for now, i still got one more blade to do and then ill be ready to make the final designs more updates to come

DarthParametric
08-19-2009, 03:50 AM
You don't have to UV map it in GMax. You can model and map in any 3D package and then export it as an OBJ. To get it into GMax to export it as an ASCII MDL, follow the steps in this post (http://lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2544775&postcount=12).

Quanon
08-19-2009, 05:23 AM
Nice updates on this mod.

The sword models look promising.

Lord of Hunger
08-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks!

Here is Yat's final Krath weapon, the Krath Warblade:

http://h.imagehost.org/download/0187/Image_08-19-2009_11-47-42

http://h.imagehost.org/download/0419/Image_08-19-2009_11-48-21

http://h.imagehost.org/download/0545/Image_08-19-2009_11-49-01