PDA

View Full Version : 3D Realms Shuts Down. Duke Nukem Forever All But Cancelled. The... I.. OH GOD *sobs*

Boba Rhett
05-07-2009, 04:17 AM
no.... n..nn-NO!!

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/duke-nukem.jpg

LINK (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58519)

Like many others here, I grew up with the promise of a new Nukem being "done when it's done." Now that it's gone I... I just don't know what to do with myself. If anyone needs me I'll be sitting in my closet drinking peach schnapps, naked and unabashedly micturating on myself, for the next four or five days.

IG-64
05-07-2009, 04:53 AM
Wow... and so the vaporware vaporizes forever.

After so much build up, I would have liked to have seen it.

R.I.P. Duke Nukem Forever.

Q
05-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Well, this wasn't unexpected, and I hope that it turns out to be rather apocryphal, if anyone gets my meaning.

I hope that no one takes this the wrong way, but I'm rather pleased that this finally happened because it means that at least one shameless blue-balling project has gone down in flames like it deserved. I hope that it dragged all of it's perpetrators into the abyss with it, never to be seen in the industry again.

Now if only all of the other vaporware and semi-vaporware projects would follow suit, I'd be a content and slightly less cynical human being.

jon_hill987
05-07-2009, 05:01 AM
I read somewhere that this means someone else will take over DNF. Which means it might get published this side of the rapture.

acdcfanbill
05-07-2009, 05:59 AM
I'm not completely convinced yet. It might be an effort to get some development money out of 2k, or maybe a hype machine for the release. It seems odd to me that there were no rumblings of this from anyone before today and just a couple weeks ago george and tom showed it to Jace Hall for his podcast show. There's footage of it, and he apparently called it more polished than many games that are already released.

(starts about 2:40)
6ySzqrFfjow

So it could be true, 3D Realms gone forever, I'm still a bit wary of it.

MrWally
05-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Oh wow. That video is actually very impressive. It seems like they actually had a very good game coming along. In fact, I'd say there was more in that little clip of actual footage than I've seen over the past 12 years . . .

Rogue15
05-07-2009, 02:55 PM
long live the king!

Black Knight of Keno
05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
This reminds me of a rather fitting Duke Nukem quote;
"Hmm... don't have time to play with myself" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N66Wza1Ka-w)

Rest in pieces, Duke.

Ray Jones
05-07-2009, 03:08 PM
DUUUUUUUKE ;__;

Darth Avlectus
05-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, I'm going to be wary of it at first but I will say that as a dukester fan: if this is true then I'm going to be sooooo pissed.

RoxStar
05-07-2009, 05:13 PM
We should buy the license.

Kain
05-08-2009, 12:06 AM
I swear to everything everyone holds Holy, if this goes the way of Fallout 3, I'm gonna go on a baby kicking spree.

Darth Avlectus
05-08-2009, 03:27 AM
Double advisory:
1) language (as if any of you really care)
2) possible LOL warning if you're drinking anything
zLf75upY27k
B/C Duke deserves a good tribute. Thank you "Pointer"!

leXX
05-08-2009, 05:47 AM
I never expected this game to ever actually come out, so this is no big surprise. If they did ever get around to releasing it, it would have been sooooo hugely overhyped, that it would have been crap anyway, due to not being able to meet people's high expectations, so maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

Totenkopf
05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Thank God I ignore the hype. Learned long ago that it's often better to have low expectations of media (movies, games, etc...) b/c you're less disappointed if/when it's crap. Still, would've been nice to get another game out of Duke.

jon_hill987
05-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Of course the sequel to Duke Nukem (in all but name) was really Serious Sam.

leXX
05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Slash000 is a patient, patient man. (http://digg.com/d1qX3q)

http://i.a-13.net/slash000_fudigg.jpg

Kain
05-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Dude. The people on that site need to go outside or something. I was just skimming through it and it took a half an hour.

Although, they did make some funny points.

TiE23
05-09-2009, 04:36 AM
*Flameshield on*

I was looking at that page the slash000 thing was on and saw all the games (and other things) that came out between the time when development started and when it ceased...

# All three Star Wars prequels.
# All the Matrix movies
# The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, with extended editions.
# Every Pixar movie aside from Toy Story.

# The entire Halo trilogy.
# Every Gran Turismo game.
# Every Unreal, every Unreal Tournament, and every game that has used any of the Unreal engines.
# Over 50 games based in the Star Wars universe.
# Valve released both Half-Life 1 and 2, with several expansion packs and countless mods for each.
# Every version of Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike Source were developed.
# The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and IV:Oblivion, and the entire Baldur's Gate series.
# About 20 Zelda games, 14 Grand Theft Auto games, and like 40 Final Fantasy games
# The Thief Series, Splinter Cell series, Rainbow Six series, Ghost Recon series, Fallout 1-3, Ico, SotC, Guitar Hero/RB series

# World War II and the entire Manhattan Project. Yes, even the complete development of the atomic bomb took less time.

**** 'em. They "spend" 12 years on a game and people still want it?... and it ends up not coming out? NO game is worth twelve years of waiting.
Screw 3D Realms for pulling their fans along for such a ****ing long time. IMO I always thought Duke Nukem was the dumbest video game character ever conceived. They weren't even that great anyway. Did games like HL2, RE4, Zelda: OoT, GTA4, Halo, and MGS4 take anywhere near the same amount of time?

Sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

Totenkopf
05-09-2009, 05:31 AM
All part of the reason I've never pined for a vid game. By the time I get around to playing a "current" game it's usually 2-3 yrs old already. While it would be nice to see something actually get finished, there're so many other games out there that it doesn't really matter in the end. Same goes for KOTOR. If there's no sequel in the end...ces't le vie.

Hermie
05-09-2009, 11:18 AM
*Flameshield on*

I was looking at that page the slash000 thing was on and saw all the games (and other things) that came out between the time when development started and when it ceased...

# All three Star Wars prequels.
# All the Matrix movies
# The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, with extended editions.
# Every Pixar movie aside from Toy Story.

# The entire Halo trilogy.
# Every Gran Turismo game.
# Every Unreal, every Unreal Tournament, and every game that has used any of the Unreal engines.
# Over 50 games based in the Star Wars universe.
# Valve released both Half-Life 1 and 2, with several expansion packs and countless mods for each.
# Every version of Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike Source were developed.
# The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and IV:Oblivion, and the entire Baldur's Gate series.
# About 20 Zelda games, 14 Grand Theft Auto games, and like 40 Final Fantasy games
# The Thief Series, Splinter Cell series, Rainbow Six series, Ghost Recon series, Fallout 1-3, Ico, SotC, Guitar Hero/RB series

# World War II and the entire Manhattan Project. Yes, even the complete development of the atomic bomb took less time.

**** 'em. They "spend" 12 years on a game and people still want it?... and it ends up not coming out? NO game is worth twelve years of waiting.
Screw 3D Realms for pulling their fans along for such a ****ing long time. IMO I always thought Duke Nukem was the dumbest video game character ever conceived. They weren't even that great anyway. Did games like HL2, RE4, Zelda: OoT, GTA4, Halo, and MGS4 take anywhere near the same amount of time?

Sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome to me.
http://blag.xkcd.com/2009/05/07/duke-nukem-forever/

Rogue Nine
05-09-2009, 11:35 AM
I imagine working for 3D Realms must have been the easiest, most laid-back job in video games ever. xD

Anthony
05-09-2009, 10:12 PM
How..surprising..

acdcfanbill
05-10-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/10/duke-nukem-forever-gameplay-surfaces-requests-we-come-get-some/
Lynk found this and it has some gameplay video in addition to screens. Now I really feel bad as a lot of the stuff in the video looks kickass and exactly what I would be expecting george and 3dr to bring to the table with dnf. What a ****ty week.

Note: Video is NSFW due to some language and stripperness. oh and of course bloody asskickingness

BongoBob
05-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Hopefully all this stuff coming out about it will bring a new developer to the table.

RoxStar
05-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Hopefully all this stuff coming out about it will bring a new developer to the table.

Bioware and Blizzard entertainment present a Bungie and VALVe production.

Black Knight of Keno
05-10-2009, 05:17 PM
BioWare and EA Sports presents ... Duke Nukem Forever.

Now as found only on Steam.

Darth Avlectus
05-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Might as well Gmod it. Pah.

acdcfanbill
05-11-2009, 01:10 AM
3D Realms would have to sell the IP for that to happen, and I seriously doubt that will happen. George and Scott will probably keep it since 3D Realms will still exist on paper and Apogee is still in business. Scott's RADAR group is still working on Prey 2 for this year, so they will probably sit on the IP for a while and restart development later. That's my guess anyway.

Kain
05-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Hopefully this is the final nail in the coffin.

Personally, I agree with TiE on this one.

leXX
05-12-2009, 04:07 PM
12 great human feats accomplished faster than Duke Nukem Forever. (http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/981/981284p1.html)

MrWally
05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I like how the creation of Halos 1, 2, and 3 is placed in the same category as conquering the world and landing on the moon.

Kain
05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
I like how the creation of Halos 1, 2, and 3 is placed in the same category as conquering the world and landing on the moon.

I actually said that exact same thing to my girlfriend...

TiE23
05-13-2009, 12:52 AM

Yeah, that was kinda... no, really stupid.

Also...

Zero Punctuation critic Ben Croshaw has noted that perhaps a decade of anticipation might raise the bar for the game to unreachable levels, saying, "I just hope that 3D Realms understands that if this game doesn't turn out to be history's greatest contribution to human culture and the cure for at least one type of cancer, I and every other reviewer on earth are going to saw its bollocks off."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_nukem_forever

Boba Rhett
05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
BREAKING NEWS. The real life Duke Nukem has been located and it's... Drew Carey when he was a marine. :indif:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Drew_Carey-Marines.jpg

leXX
05-13-2009, 04:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KAGwNtI26w

Tommycat
05-14-2009, 04:14 AM
Probably for the best... I doubt people would have been happy with it after so long. They would have such high hopes. The game would be a huge let down when they finish the game and say, "TWELVE YEARS FOR THIS!???!!!!???!?!"

Darth Avlectus
05-19-2009, 06:32 AM
http://lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2625446&postcount=19
(more or less duplicating my response in that thread)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
.......looks at above article.............

Hmm. I think it got a little revival before rigor mortis set in. It won't be what it was, but anything is better than nothing. Right?

May not make DN forever, but probably for better as my homeboy tommy said. For obvious reasons.

"Despite rumors and statements to the contrary, 3D Realms (3DR) has not closed and is not closing," reads the statement. "3DR retains ownership of the Duke Nukem franchise. Due to lack of funding, however, we are saddened to confirm that we let the Duke Nukem Forever (DNF) development team go on May 6, while we regroup as a company. While 3DR is a much smaller studio now, we will continue to operate as a company and continue to license and co-create games based upon the Duke Nukem franchise."

So no Duke Nukem forever, but the studio is going to still be in business. Just much smaller now. What a way to revive it.
Delving deeper:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a5LJCCRIwYg0
Take-Two Sues Apogee Over ‘Duke Nukem’ Game Sequel

Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., the maker of the “Grand Theft Auto” video games, sued Apogee Software Ltd.’s 3D Realms over the failed development of a sequel to the “Duke Nukem” game called “Duke Nukem Forever.”

Take-Two, owner of the publishing rights to the game, said Apogee breached an agreement to design the latest installment of Duke Nukem, a game in which the player “shoots” enemies. The new version has been under development since 1997, the company said yesterday in a complaint in a state court in Manhattan.

3D Realms, which was based in Garland, Texas, never produced the game and instead closed its studio on May 6, terminated development of the game and fired employees who had been involved in the Duke Nukem project, Take-Two said.

“Apogee continually delayed the completion date for the Duke Nukem Forever,” Take-Two said in the complaint. “Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever.”

Take-Two said in 2000 it had an agreement with Apogee and paid $12 million for publishing rights to the forthcoming game. In 2007, the two companies entered into a second agreement.

The case is Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. v. Apogee Software Ltd. 601457/2009, New York State Supreme Court, New York County (Manhattan).

Interesting little thing about midway, the Mortal Kombat producer, right below that in article also.
Well, here we have it!!!

acdcfanbill
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
That's slightly misleading in the fact that Take Two didn't pay Apogee 12 mill for publishing rights, they got them when they bought Gathering of Developers (God games).

Jae Onasi
05-19-2009, 05:25 PM
no.... n..nn-NO!!

Like many others here, I grew up with the promise of a new Nukem being "done when it's done." Now that it's gone I... I just don't know what to do with myself. Well, crap, there goes our podcast discussion about it....

If anyone needs me I'll be sitting in my closet drinking peach schnapps, naked and unabashedly micturating on myself, for the next four or five days.
*Jae hands Rhett an empty blue milk bottle to use*

Darth Avlectus
05-19-2009, 07:32 PM
That's slightly misleading in the fact that Take Two didn't pay Apogee 12 mill for publishing rights, they got them when they bought Gathering of Developers (God games).

Ah. Bloody details... please? :)

acdcfanbill
05-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Ah. Bloody details... please? :)

actually, going back and scouring posts in 3dr forums, it turns out I miss-remembered who got what. Not overly surprising since Gathering of Developers was started by 3DR people as well as Ritual people (plus a couple other dev houses). Not to mention Take2 bought GoD a couple years back.

Anyway, it goes like this, GT Interactive published early (and later) Duke games and had the rights to DNF when it was announced in 1997. Infogrames (holding company for Atari) came along and bought up GT Interactive in 1999. After which (in 2000+ ish) they sold the Publishing rights for DNF to Take2 for 6 million up front + 6 when it was published. Obviously the second half hasn't been paid, so apparently Take 2's hissy fit sue-fest was about the first loss, I'm not quite sure on that one.

Now granted I didn't get this info from George/Scott themselves, but it seemed pretty reputible and Joe didn't immediately come in and issue corrections so I take most of it as the truth at least until I see something concrete or more believable.

Jae Onasi
05-20-2009, 07:22 PM
This ranks right up there with Kotor 3.

Boba Rhett
05-20-2009, 07:34 PM
You heard it here first, folks. KotOR 3 is coming to a PC/Console near you - fall 2010! :3pdance:

Totenkopf
05-20-2009, 07:40 PM
You sure it's not 2012.....after the world is destroyed. :xp:

Darth Avlectus
05-21-2009, 12:27 AM
OR how about june 6th, 2106? :lol:

@acdcfanbill: ah, well...okay. I was just quoting what I thought to be relevant info but I am always willing to hear another side of the story at least. :)

MrWally
05-21-2009, 12:27 AM
I'd only have a one week window or so to make it after the destruction of the world but before the new year, haha.

Also:

Kotor 3! :D

EDIT on 5/21:

After reading Groovy's response, I realize that I have no idea what I was trying to say in that post.

O.o

I think I misread something originally.

Darth Groovy
05-22-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd only have a one week window or so to make it after the destruction of the world but before the new year, haha.

Also:

Kotor 3! :D

*Darth Groovy slaps MrWally around a bit with a large trout.*