PDA

View Full Version : Model in-game problems (splits open, some don't show at all)


Captain Hair
06-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey ho, wondering if anyone can give me a hand with some problems i'm getting? In 3dmax and nwmax, my model looks perfectly fine. But when I export it and test it in kotor2 it "splits" open at places. It seems to be at UVmap seams and where polys are detatched for normals.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo308/CaptainHairSA/kotor/th_0619brokenwip.jpg (http://s386.photobucket.com/albums/oo308/CaptainHairSA/kotor/?action=view&current=0619brokenwip.jpg)

I've had other problems, but none quite like this! I can't seem to find any other topics with the problem either. I'm also having some trouble getting my models to line up ingame the same way they do in max. Its like they are always offset for some reason.

Any help with this would be great, I can also supply the 3d file if it'll help? Thanks :)

TriggerGod
06-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Did you link all the parts of your model to the Aurora Base?

Captain Hair
06-18-2009, 06:27 PM
I linked the main body of the pistol to the aurorabase, then all my other models to the main body of the pistol. This is how the handles were attached with the default ingame model, so I assumed this was the correct way. I'll try linking them directly to the base now.

EDIt Just now checked, model appaears exactly the same with everything linked. :(

TriggerGod
06-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok, my next suggestion would be to keep a copy of the blaster with all the parts, and than attach all the parts to the main body. (go into the Editable Mesh tab, than use the attach button) Remember to resetxform before you export.

Captain Hair
06-18-2009, 06:51 PM
OK, i tried that and it worked perfectly, no gaps or misalignments. But it puts me in a tough position because i cannot possibley UV-map it, its just too tricky and near-impossible to reach certain polys. It'd also mean if i wanted to alter the model at all it'd need to be completley uv-mapped again.

Ah... I just noticed, if I remove all textures, the model appears perfectly! It MUST be something somehow hidden in the TGA's, I didn't even know they supported alpha channels. I'll investigate further... thanks very much for your help!

VarsityPuppet
06-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Could this be texture seaming? If it is, you're probably going to want to make a txi for your blaster pistol tga.

Captain Hair
06-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Well, that problem turned out to be mostly alpha channel problems. There IS some texture seaming problems, I'm not sure of what a TXI is or how it would fix it, but i'll look into it.

My newest problem is that the UV map is just, well, broken. And everything I try fails to fix it.

Here is the texture
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo308/CaptainHairSA/kotor/th_0619bp001_ammo.jpg (http://s386.photobucket.com/albums/oo308/CaptainHairSA/kotor/?action=view&current=0619bp001_ammo.jpg)

Here is how it looks in Max
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo308/CaptainHairSA/kotor/th_06-19-inmax.jpg (http://s386.photobucket.com/albums/oo308/CaptainHairSA/kotor/?action=view&current=06-19-inmax.jpg)

And here it is in-gamehttp://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo308/CaptainHairSA/kotor/th_06-19-ingamemap.jpg (http://s386.photobucket.com/albums/oo308/CaptainHairSA/kotor/?action=view&current=06-19-ingamemap.jpg)

I just... i really have no idea. I've tried re-UVmapping, collapsing the mesh, re-doing aurora trimesh. The only thing i can possibley think of, is that its having an issue with vertex's. But I managed to UVmap the same model perfectly fine earlier.

Any help again would be great, its really getting me beat

TriggerGod
06-19-2009, 03:33 PM
looks like your problem is that you didn't 'bake' your UV Map. Looks like your texture map is a ****ed up. If your using GMax, this helpful guide should help you.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/Detaching-Polys.jpg?t=1245439463

As for 3ds, the method is basically the same, but the process before it is different.
Usually, one would model editable poly (I know I do and several other modelers do), and when you finish mapping, try to remember where all the parts are of your map. With the colors, your job is a little easier. Convert to an editable mesh, than follow the steps in the above pic. Select, detach, hide (Hide and unhide button is in that part where you choose

Captain Hair
06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Would i have to reUVmap the whole model afterwards? I tried it just now with the existing UV map and it made no differance. To be honest my models are pretty much all detatched like that anyway. Its certainly confusing as to why this is happening.

EDIT: whelp, I tried stripping it down to a bare model, detatching all the stuff again, and re UVing it. Still the exact same issue. What the heck, I had no problem doing the muzzle of the gun. I HAD this part mapped correctly, but it had a little error, so i re-UVmapped it, thats when it all went to pot.

Maybe its somehow "fixed" to use the old UV data, wonder if there is some way i can force the model to be flushed clean of it, hmm..

EDIT2: It also seems I cannot re-import my exported model... most curious. I'm willing to bet this is somehow conencted.

Wow edit 3, sorry for treating this like a twitter. I "fixed" the problem. I created a new mesh, deleted all its polys, then "attach"ed the old model to it. Shows up in game perfectly now. I guess it was just a random glitch somewhere, attaching it to a new mesh must have cleaned it out a bit. Cheers for the troubleshooting help :) (no doubt i'll be back at some point, gah!)