PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Island Special Edition - File Formats

Pages : [1] 2

bgbennyboy
07-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I'll be posting here about the file formats in MI:SE.

So far:

The sounds and music are in xbox wavebanks so should be easy to extract.

The rest of the resources are in Monkey1.pak - which seems to be unencrypted so far (I can see an offset table and name directory anyway)

bgbennyboy
07-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Images seem to be DXT textures, unfortunately they arent embedded in dds files for easy viewing

Silvor
07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Hopefully getting voices on the old art won't be too hard.
Here's hoping.

Jeroen_JRP
07-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Do you think we could get it to play without steam?

bgbennyboy
07-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Do you think we could get it to play without steam?

No. I'm not interested in bypassing DRM just looking into the resource files. If you want it without steam LEC are selling it from other online providers.

Jeroen_JRP
07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I'm waiting for that, untill now only Direct2Drive in US and Canada

bgbennyboy
07-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Update - Serge has put together a quick dumper for the Monkey1.pak. Meanwhile I'm knocking up a quick dumper for the wavebank music.

daltysmilth
07-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Cool.

bgbennyboy
07-15-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm having problems with the audio atm, some of the audio dumps correctly as pcm wav's, however some appears to be WMA from the format tag but doesnt play back. Either they arent WMA and my understanding of the format tag is incorrect or there's some sort of added obfuscation on the wma files

Serge
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Finished the bulk of "Remonkeyed Explorer" which opens the main resource file and allows you to save all the files inside. Should be out later this week (probably Friday).

Examples of contents inside the .pak file:
The original monkey1.001 and monkey1.000 files (unchanged) from the Monkey Madness CD-ROM version
Backgrounds
Costumes (i.e. character art)
Room definitions (in some binary encoded XML - not looking into that before Friday)
Fonts (stored as PNG)
Shaders (.fx files)
tweaks.txt (containing some settings for strange things in the engine)
hints.csv (binary file with all the hints)
etc.

No music or speech - that's in the separate xwb files (which BG is working on).

I've managed to "decode" the backgrounds and costumes to .dds (really just a matter of adding the DDS header with width/height etc.) - probably adding decoding from DDS to PNG format before Friday, although I'm not sure that I'll make it combine the various tiles that make up a single background in that short amount of time.

Various examples and screenshots (please don't hotlink - my bandwidth can't take it):

http://www.jither.net/media/images/remonkeyed.png (screenshot)
http://www.jither.net/media/images/woohoo.png (first tile of background art I got decoded)
http://www.jither.net/media/images/ghostpig.png (a random costume decoded)

Oh yes, it's "Remonkeyed Explorer", because apparently an internal name for the Special Edition is "Remonkeyed Game". :)

cocomonk22
07-16-2009, 05:46 AM
If the original 001 and 000 files are unchanged, that explains why there are no voices in classic mode and that the SE was just made to be in sync with the original game.

Serge
07-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Nah, I think (as I did before the game came out) that it's always the original game running, and the new art is "projected onto it".

Silvor
07-16-2009, 06:24 AM
I find it annoying that the old art version runs in completely full screen mode, compared to the old dos version which had some black bars around it. Just makes it look ultra blocky. Wonder why that is.

And there seems to be some music bugs in the old art version as well, like voodoo house music keeps playing after you leave the voodoo house sometimes. So they must have done something to the old game files I think.

Serge
07-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Nothing was done to the old game files (they're binary identical), but since the SCUMM engine running it has had to be updated, there are probably bugs inthere.

Silvor
07-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Ahh, yeah that would explain it.

Serge
07-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Might add that the "projected art" "theory" (I'm quite sure it's accurate) means that there are hacks done in various spots to expand the original game.

I.e., the addition of Spiffy's close-up, the different readings of insult lines, depending on whether they're decided right by the script or not, etc.

Laserschwert
07-16-2009, 06:49 AM
If it's possible to extract graphics from the game, would it be possible to edit those files, and put them back in the game?

Serge
07-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Most likely, yes. As long as they have the correct format, and correct layout, it'd be as simple as replacing the files. Since the (DXT) graphics are deterministic in size (always compressed 1:4), if they keep the same layout, they keep the same file size and the file offsets in the rest of the file don't change, so there shouldn't even be a problem if there's hacky hardcoded direct offsets in the .exe (which is unlikely these days anyway).

Not something I'm looking into for a while, but I'll probably release some specs when I get back from vacation in a few weeks (if BG or someone else hasn't already).

It's even likely, as in GrimE, that just placing the new art in the proper subfolder, with the proper name, in the correct format, might just mean it's loaded into the game. Since that's easier (and very unlikely not to be implemented) while developing. If it's not turned off on release.

Serge
07-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Just for fun, by the way, here's most of Guybrush's costume:

http://www.jither.net/media/images/guybrush.png
http://www.jither.net/media/images/guybrush2.png
http://www.jither.net/media/images/guyho.png

Laserschwert
07-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Mh, do I smell "hair patch"?

ThunderPeel2001
07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I hope so :)

It looks like the 2.5.gb PC download WAS for all the hires artwork... The game must to able to run at some insane resolutions!

Serge
07-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Well, the .PAK is around 1.2GB and 99.999% of that space is taken up by images - mostly split up into 1024x1024 texture tiles (like the ones posted above). Such a tile is a bit over 1MB, if compressed - saw a few 4MB tiles which may be uncompressed RGB.

The remaining data is mostly 500 byte-65KB description files, shader scripts, some PNG textures and the two original resource files from Monkey Madness.

parabolee
07-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Look like we are in for some interesting patches :D

Although I wouldn't want to change Guybrush myself. Love him.

Cool to fix the Scumm Bar sign (smiley face) and the crappy text on Stan's sign though.

Kev63
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone !

Serge, do you intend to release your tool to unpack Monkey1.pak ? It would be useful for foreigners like me, as I'm french I could put the Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001 files from the original french version. Thanks :)...

jott
07-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Hello,

I just discovered this thread. Just wanted to throw in, that I also wrote a little tool to dump the Monkey1.pak file and write out DDS textures.

Serge already started a proper GUI which would ultimately allow easier modding I suppose.

Anyway, here is my (hackish) source in plain C:
http://slexy.org/view/s21wNL2X3x

Sample image (copyright LucasArts):
http://i36.tinypic.com/b8wby9.jpg

@Serge, two questions though:
Do you plan to release the source code of your tool?
And do you know what the table at 0x28 (referred at 0x8) is for?

I also haven't looked at the binary xml yet...

jott
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Just a note:
The game seems to run fine without the Monkey1.pak when all files are extracted in the same directory (such as my little tool does).

Silvor
07-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Very interesting.
I wonder if that will help to get voices when you switch to the old art in some way.

Laserschwert
07-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Which means changing files without repacking, yay!

bgbennyboy
07-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the dumper and source jott. Lets all try not to duplicate each other's work here. Lets try and post what we are working on/discover so we don't overlap.

[Edit] If it runs without the pak thats excellent news! Dont even have to write a pak compiler.

Serge
07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone !

Serge, do you intend to release your tool to unpack Monkey1.pak ? It would be useful for foreigners like me, as I'm french I could put the Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001 files from the original french version. Thanks :)...

I do - as mentioned above, I planned on Friday - not sure at the moment, since I have a lot of work-work and leaving on vacation tomorrow. But maybe. In any event, Jott already has something out.

@Serge, two questions though:
Do you plan to release the source code of your tool?
And do you know what the table at 0x28 (referred at 0x8) is for?

Source code: Not at the moment, simply because it shares a lot of code with a longer term "secret" project ;), which will probably be open source. Shares as in "copy/paste and quick hacks" which means it's not even close to clean and won't be maintained - since the original project already decodes PAK also. Only did this tool to get something out quick.

As for 0x28 - no idea yet. Did all this rather quickly last night, so when it worked, I actually stopped looking at the package format and focused on the DXT stuff. Fast enough to not find any file count in the format either, which means at the moment, it simply reads the offset table until it reaches the known position of the name table.

And yes, Remonkeyed Explorer also decodes all files to the same folders if wanted (that's what the "Use original subfolder" checkbox is there for). Great news that unpackaged resource use wasn't disabled for the release :)

bgbennyboy
07-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Continuing the division of labour - I'll work on a quick 'texture replacer' program, for the moaners who want to do a guybrush "hair patch".

I'd also appreciate any input from anyone on the audio for the new music inside the soundbanks. The format tag identifies it as WMA (from what I know about the format tag) but It doesnt look like WMA. Either its not WMA or its encrypted/obfuscated somehow.

Silvor
07-16-2009, 01:53 PM
About that "hair patch" thing.
I wonder if the people who want to fix this knows how much work they'll actually have to do.
Guybrush does have quite a few elaborate animations he goes trough during the course of the game.
Not gonna be a small job to animate the new hair on all of them.

jott
07-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Speaking of duplicate work, bgbennyboy...

Here is a little tool to convert DDS back to DXT:
http://slexy.org/view/s2laFdoAjF

So here is a shot of a modded Monkey Island SE:
http://i33.tinypic.com/2v2a4jm.jpg

All seems to work out nicely... though some manual steps are needed ATM.

bgbennyboy
07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Nice one Jott :)
I'll be doing a GUI tool, like I usually do. If you are working on a similar app please let me know and I'll stop and concentrate on something else :)

Laserschwert
07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
The best thing would of course be if the game uses the files from the PAK file, with the exception of files that are also contained separately in the game folder. But I guess the PAK is the game's first choice, so separate files would be ignored.

elTee
07-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Incredible work guys, hopefully these 'exploits' won't be patched on Steam.

Tomas
07-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I had a very brief look at the audio files. I used this program (http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers/unxwb.zip) to extract the files from the wavebanks. The .WAV-files seem to play without doing anything to them. The .WMA-files do not as bg says. Opened them in a hex editor and concluded that most of the start with the hex values 09 00 00 03 (I was looking at the MusicNew.xwb file). Also opened up some .WMA-files i had lying on my HD. Many of them has this byte pattern (09 00 00 03) at what seems to be the end of the header or the beginning of the data. I don't know exactly how this program (unxwb) extracts the files but maybe the .WMA-files are stored without the header and it needs to be reconstructed somehow? I don't know, maybe this could give some ideas. I don't have time to look into at it at the moment.

jott
07-16-2009, 02:09 PM
@Laserschwert:
The PAK file is indeed the fallback! So just putting files in the right directory will replace them in-game.

@bgbennyboy:
No, I'm not working on any GUI. Maybe I'll try to find out something about the XML later.

Laserschwert
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
@Laserschwert:
The PAK file is indeed the fallback! So just putting files in the right directory will replace them in-game.
So I have to put only the files I want changed in the game's folder, and it uses them instead?? That'd be awesome!

bgbennyboy
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
@Tomas - good to see you again! Everyones coming out of the woodwork recently :)

The idea about the WMA just missing a header sounds reasonable, I'll try and find time to look at it again this weekend.

john_doe
07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
@Tomas - good to see you again! Everyones coming out of the woodwork recently :)

Do you really think so?
:)

bgbennyboy
07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Heh, good to see you too Ben :)

jott
07-16-2009, 02:44 PM
So I have to put only the files I want changed in the game's folder, and it uses them instead?? That'd be awesome!

Yes. That's it. For your amusement:
http://i38.tinypic.com/2a0wu0.jpg

Simply unpack this in the main program folder:
http://rapidshare.com/files/256538082/art.zip.html

jott
07-16-2009, 07:59 PM

It seems to suffice to put the files to classic\en\Monkey1.000 and classic\en\Monkey1.001 - relative to your "Secret Of Monkey Island SE" folder.

Murray the Chao
07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I have determined that the problem with the .wma is indeed a missing header. I shall ask elsewhere about it.

Serge
07-16-2009, 08:28 PM
@jott: Had a look at your source - we're very much in agreement :) Not sure about the constant 0 DWORD in the dir entries, but (potential) compression type might be right, since that's what I remember it used for in (I think) VIMA compression for either CMI or GF.

I'm looking into the 0x28 table right now...

I guess you did so already, but you might want to swap width and height when reading from the .dxt file, since height is stored first (FourCC - Height - Width).

Blabbering here - just got confused (for the 29th time in the past 3-4 years) by DDS_HEADER storing height first :P

Serge
07-16-2009, 09:16 PM
So, releasing Remonkeyed Explorer (as described at the start of the topic) now...

It only allows to dump files from monkey1.pak as-is, as well as convert .dxt to .dds. In other words, it does nothing that jott's tool doesn't do already. Except for having a pseudo-fancy GUI :)

Specs for the monkey1.pak file as they're currently known are included.

There's no installer - just run the file. Application requires .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, though - Client Profile will do, and if MS get their way, you'll need it anyway for other stuff, if you don't have it already :rolleyes:

The installer for the "small" version (280KB web installer which will then download the framework which is approximately 28MB - if it isn't installed already) - AKA "Client Profile" can be found here:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=123879

Not expecting to support this app much. It was done quickly, in order to get something out, and lots of code was simply copied from "that other project". Which means I can't be bothered maintaining that code in two places ;)

http://highland.mixnmojo.com/other/Remonkeyed_1.0.0.54.zip

Also, hi Benjamin and Tomas :)

cocomonk22
07-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Nah, I think (as I did before the game came out) that it's always the original game running, and the new art is "projected onto it".

That's what I'm saying. It's synced to the original game. To do that, the original game has to be running underneath.

Serge
07-16-2009, 09:47 PM
That's what I'm saying. It's synced to the original game. To do that, the original game has to be running underneath.

Misunderstood you then, but in that case, nothing codewise keeps it from running the original game with the sound effects, and turning the art projection off.

Laserschwert
07-16-2009, 10:11 PM
So, releasing Remonkeyed Explorer (as described at the start of the topic) now...When opening the PAK-file with it, I get the following error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'RemonkeyedExplorer.FileFormats.FileFormatManager' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
at RemonkeyedExplorer.FileFormats.FileFormatManager.P opulateFileTypes()
at RemonkeyedExplorer.FileFormats.FileFormatManager.. ctor()
at RemonkeyedExplorer.FileFormats.FileFormatManager.. cctor()

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at RemonkeyedExplorer.frmMain.OpenFile(String path)
at RemonkeyedExplorer.frmMain.itemFileOpen_Click(Obje ct sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Obje ct key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(Eve ntArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(Eve ntArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(M ouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventIntera ctive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(Event Args e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEven tArgs mea)

rumperdumper
07-16-2009, 10:26 PM
hey guys...
just found this forum trough google...
could somebody tell me (and the user people who don't get it either) how to extract the new music? i understand that they are packt in xwb but i couldn't find a tool to extract the music properly... with EkszBox-ABX i only get an error and with the XWB_Extractor_11 there are too many filese to uncheck or am i wrong? please help somebody... pretty please?

Serge
07-16-2009, 10:28 PM
When opening the PAK-file with it, I get the following error:

Looks like you don't have .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) installed? Actually thought .NET would be more graceful about it - it used to be :P

Serge
07-16-2009, 10:30 PM
hey guys...
just found this forum trough google...
could somebody tell me (and the user people who don't get it either) how to extract the new music? i understand that they are packt in xwb but i couldn't find a tool to extract the music properly... with EkszBox-ABX i only get an error and with the XWB_Extractor_11 there are too many filese to uncheck or am i wrong? please help somebody... pretty please?

Music and other audio is being worked on (by BG, me, and others) :)

Laserschwert
07-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Looks like you don't have .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) installed? Actually thought .NET would be more graceful about it - it used to be :PYeah, it was just that, it works now. I thought it wouldn't even start without .NET, so since it DID start, I assumed I had it installed.

Serge
07-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Yeah, you probably have .NET 2.0 or higher installed already (if you're on Vista, you have 3.0), which will allow the program to run, but as soon as it needs 3.5 libraries, it'll crash.

Annoyingly, there's no really fool proof way of checking it at start up (which I actually assumed it already did). Might just wrap an installer around it sometime. No time at the moment, though (which will bite me in the ass when everyone starts asking why it crashes ;-))

Edited "release post" to add link to the .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1 Client Profile...

Laserschwert
07-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Any chance for a little tutorial on how to use an edited image file in the game?

Serge
07-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Well, jott has already written on it.

If you:

- choose "DDS" for DXT output in the dropdown
- pick the game folder with the MONKEY1.PAK file in it as Destination Folder
- and save the file with "Include original subfolder" checked

... it will store the file in the same subfolder that the game expects to find it in - but in dds format, which a lot of graphics apps and image converters can open (there's a plugin for e.g. PhotoShop, I believe).

Then, after you've edited the DDS, it needs to be converted back to DXT format - jott posted a tool for that above - and should stay in the same folder, with the same name (but with .dxt extension).

Then the game should prefer that file to the one stored in the .pak.

rumperdumper
07-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Music and other audio is being worked on (by BG, me, and others) :)

didn't expect such a fast reply ^^

can't wait to hear the music nonstop ;-)
thanks

Guy.brush
07-16-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm interested in the DDS->DXT tool too. dunno how to compile the raw c code :-)

I managed to get a "texture not found" message instead of the main menu title gfx. Cause I just put a "DXT5" instead of "DDS" in the file's header.

jott
07-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Here are my tools compiled for Windows. I suppose all Linux folks know what to do anyway :raise:.

http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip
http://helicoid.de/scumm/dds2dxt.zip

Well maybe I'll polish the dds2dxt later (edit: done). It's really basic at the moment but should work.

The extractpak.exe must be started in the same folder as Monkey1.pak.
Keep in mind that it will create 2GB of files as all the dxt are stored as dds AND dxt.

Now let the modding begin....

jott
07-17-2009, 12:21 AM
As for a tutorial on how to modify an image:
1) Extract the resources with folder (either all with my extractpak.exe or some specific files with Serges tool) in your game folder.
2) Find the dds you want to modify and load it in your favorite image editor that supports dds. (XnView can convert dds, there is a plugin for Photoshop and you could also use the DirectX Texture Tool from the DX SDK, etc..)
3) Convert the dds back to dxt with "dds2dxt.exe xxx.dds xxx.dxt" - remember to put/leave the dxt in the original path.
4) Launch the game and test it.
5) Play barber and go to 2) :)

Serge
07-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Ah, what the heck... BG wanted to do one, jott already did one, and I already did one. So might as well release it - this one with source, and pretty much public domain (since it was done in 20 minutes - except for the FileReader/FileWriter which are work in progress for SR6 - note, they aren't meant to be efficient, they're just meant to work ;)).

It will only work with DirectX 9 format dds files (same format as jott's tool and Remonkeyed - and most others - save).

Simply add dds files by clicking Add files... Then click Convert. It will place the dxt files in the same folder as the dds files. Warning: It will also overwrite already existing dxt files without prompting.

http://highland.mixnmojo.com/other/DDStoDXT.zip

For execution, you simply need the .exe (and the usual pesky .NET framework)

ETA: Should check again before I post. Didn't see jott's post, which would have saved me some trouble. Oh well, the more alternatives the better, I guess :)

Serge
07-17-2009, 12:49 AM
... and now I'll leave the SCUMM hacking community alone for a few weeks. Looking forward to hearing music and seeing CMI Guybrush in SOMI when I get back :D

Have fun :)

Guy.brush
07-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Muhaha thank you! Let the modding commence. I still haven't decided if I want to try to seriously pimp the game or just play as Purple tentacle.

deadca7
07-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Would be awesome if someone could figure out the .xml and .csv files

john_doe
07-17-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm looking into the 0x28 table right now...

That table is an array of CRC32s for all the filenames, but instead of taking the filename bytes as-is, it masks it with 0xDF before processing them.

Edit: The XML files are also based on this, some strings are not in the XMLs themselves but only their CRC32, which is calculated in the exe.

Serge
07-17-2009, 07:55 AM
That table is an array of CRC32s for all the filenames, but instead of taking the filename bytes as-is, it masks it with 0xDF before processing them.

And then the files are ordered by that CRC - figured search index or hash table - but it stumped me for some reason, because the table was numerically sorted :-P

Thanks, Ben :-) I'd just given up on it, since it wasn't needed to unpack.

Guy.brush
07-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Did anyone find out what the tweaks.txt is there for?
Seems like it reads some sort of config parameters but I haven't had success in changing anything

tweaks.txt:

UI.Show Inventory Verb,1
UI.Slide Animation,1
UI.Fade Out Pointer,1
UI.Cursor.Speed,2.500000
Input.AutoRepeatDelayMS,500
SCUMM.Selected Costume,27
EJ.Sticky feet,0.200000
Input.InitialRepeatDelayMS,150
UI.Verb Fade Amount,0.400000
SCUMM.Preview Costume,1
SCUMM.Jump to room,28
SCUMM.Load game,0
UI.Verb Disc,0
UI.Hint.HoldTime,1.000000
SCUMM.Save game,1
EJ.Smoothification mode,1
UI.Overlay Verbs,1
SCUMM.Draw Costume Info,0
UI.Cursor.Power,1.600000

spiralout
07-17-2009, 09:59 AM
So if we wanted to fix some of the messed up spots in the background images, would it be legal to redistribute those files as a mod?

Guy.brush
07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Legal, shmegal. I will make it legal.

ronzbig1
07-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Have anyone tried to edit files with in-game text (uiText.info, speech.info)? When I tried, dubbing disappeared, and subtitles weren't changed anyway. Maybe game is also reading text from files from old version?

Monkey Mania
07-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Ah, it is possible to convert the graphics into Curse of Monkey Island style graphics. Oh joy!

jott
07-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Ah, interesting thing about the CRC32!

I just improved my dds2dxt a bit so it can be easily integrated in a workflow.
It just expects the dds file as argument and stores the result in a file with the same base name but dxt extension. This way you can either drag&drop a dds on the application or associate dds files with it (or what ever you prefer).

Executable + Source:

Maybe we should collect information about the "XML".
I've not looked much into them yet.

My current info for Costumes header:
Edit: Removed. See later post.

What do you know? Can you confirm/improve my findings?

Edit: I'm quite sure that the second points are actually a path...

Monkey Mania
07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Can someone reupload the tools?

jott
07-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I put them on a proper server (Win32 executable + source):

http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip

Guy.brush
07-17-2009, 12:48 PM
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8617/mihacked.th.jpg (http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8617/mihacked.jpg)

Monkey Mania
07-17-2009, 01:03 PM
I love how everything is nicely sorted.

Monkey Mania
07-17-2009, 01:21 PM
The Gimp:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win/files/GIMP%20%2B%20GTK%2B%20%28stable%20release%29/gimp-2.6.6-i686-setup.exe/download
DDS plugin:
http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/

Happy Editing!

Guy.brush
07-17-2009, 01:24 PM
there is also a nice (somewhat older) DDS plugin by Nvidia for Photoshop. Works nicely. Just save the images as DXT5 dds and then use the converter from DDS->DXT

Monkey Mania
07-17-2009, 01:40 PM
there is also a nice (somewhat older) DDS plugin by Nvidia for Photoshop. Works nicely. Just save the images as DXT5 dds and then use the converter from DDS->DXT
I tried it out. It doesn't seem to support transparency, but if it works for you, use it.

Murray the Chao
07-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Any updates on the music?

Guy.brush
07-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Regarding the Nvidia Photoshop DDS plugin: Alpha works fine. you need to save as DXT5 with interpolated alpha (or whatever the fancy alpha variant is called)
also you need to generate an alpha channel, but for experienced Photoshop users this is easily done.

Farlander1991
07-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi guys. Great work, very useful stuff!

Ditto to ronzbig1. Does anyone know how to change subtitles without making voices to disappear?

And, by the way, when changing speech.info, though Guybrush's phrases do change, the same phrase in the selection menu during dialog doesn't.

jott
07-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Here are my latest findings:

typedef struct CostumeHeader {
unsigned int identifier; // number corresponds to filename
unsigned int relativePositionToObjectName;

unsigned int numberOfTextures; // Number of dxt files referred
unsigned int realtiveOffsetToTextureIndex; // relative to current position

unsigned int numberOfStates; // Like InitLeft or WalkLeft
unsigned int relativeOffsetToStateIndex;

unsigned int unk1; // 0 most of the time, sometimes 1,2,3

unsigned int numberOfSpriteGroups; // 1 most of the time, in the rage of 1-11
unsigned int relativeOffsetToSpriteGroups;

unsigned int unk2; // 0 most of the time, sometimes 1,2,3,4

unsigned int numberOfPointsOnPath; // some sort of 2D positions
unsigned int relativeOffsetToPath;

unsigned int num3_1; // 0 most of the time, sometimes 1
unsigned int num3_2; // always 0

float version[3]; // always 0.5 1.0 1.0
unsigned int reserved[3]; // always 0 0 0
} CostumeHeader;

typedef struct TextureIndex {
unsigned int identifier;
unsigned int relativeOffsetToFilename;
} TextureIndex;

typedef struct StateIndex {
unsigned int relativeOffsetToStateName;
unsigned int identifier;
unsigned int numberOfStateData;
unsigned int relativeOffsetToStateData;
} StateIndex;

typedef struct SpriteGroup {
unsigned int identifier;
unsigned int unk1;
unsigned int numberOfSprites;
unsigned int relativeOffsetToSprite;
} SpriteGroup;

typedef struct PathPoint {
char unk1;
char unk2;
char unk3;
char unk4;
float x;
float y;
} PathPoint;

typedef struct Sprite {
unsigned int textureNumber;
unsigned int textureposx;
unsigned int textureposy;
unsigned int width;
unsigned int height;
float screenposx;
float screenposy;
unsigned int unk2;
unsigned int unk3;
unsigned int unk4;
} Sprite;

typedef struct StateData {
unsigned int spriteGroup;
unsigned int sizeOfFrames; // ???
unsigned int numberOfFrames;
unsigned int relativeOffsetToFrames;
} StateData;

typedef struct Frame {
unsigned int spriteIndex;
unsigned int unk1;
unsigned int unk2;
} Frame;

I think it is nearly complete now. Some work has to be done for the StateData and Frames but I guess some bruteforcing could bring some more insights. The other "XML" files should have a similar structure.

I guess the main question is on how to proceed...
One way could be to transform the structure to a real XML file so it can be modified with a text editor - the other would probably be some kind of visual editor.... well I don't have *that* much time unfortunately..... any help is needed!

Guy.brush
07-17-2009, 10:57 PM
So the work to "decode" the content into a real .XML that's readable by e.g. Dreamweaver is not the problem? The problem is to get the edited .XML back into the format used inside the .pak?
hmm...

bgbennyboy
07-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I've only been away for a day and the progress has been rapid. Good job everyone!

I'm going to look into the WMA's now. Hopefully it'll just be a case of adding the correct header to them.

Another possibility is that they might be headerless xWMA

bgbennyboy
07-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Giving up for now. I've been trying to manually build a wma file using the raw data, just to test that the data really is wma.

Unfortunately this hasn't yielded any results, I haven't been able to build a correct wma header that will play back any audio. I've been assuming that the audio is 44100 stereo 16bit wma and after failing with calculating the track length from the data, I tried using the track length from the corresponding wav files in the old music soundbank.

Benjy
07-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi everyone,

Wow, it's been years since I had come here. Anyway, this might seem to be a dumb question, but what is the engine behind MI: SE? A newer SCUMM?

bgbennyboy
07-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Having another crack at the audio.
I'm now assuming that its headerless xWMA. I'm currently trying to use xWMA encode (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc308027(VS.85).aspx) to produce a valid xWMA file from a wav, then chopping out the data, correcting the wav size headers, inserting the data from one of the MI WMA's and seeing if xWMA will decode it back to pcm wav. The trick is in finding the correct bitrate for the input and output audio.

jott
07-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Yes I can confirm that this have to be xWMA files, given the same 20 byte pattern in the beginning occurs when converting a WAV with xWMAEncode.exe with -b 96000.

Now we only need to create the proper header....

Tomas
07-18-2009, 04:41 PM
I can confirm this too. I'm actually able to play the files now!

Just took a long wavefile, converted it xwma at 96 kHz using xwmaencode. Simply copied the header and pasted first in one of the extracted files from the wavebanks then converted it back to .WAV using xwmaencode. It gives an error because the header size is off but it still converts the file and I can play it successfully. Generating a correct header should be no problem!

EDIT: So, for the record, the WAVEFORMATEX (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb669161(VS.85).aspx) chunk I ended up with for the working file was:

66 6D 74 20 12 00 00 00 61 01 02 00 44 AC 00 00 E0 2E 00 00 6B 11 10 00 00 00

So the problem boils down to generating the dpds (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc308025(VS.85).aspx) (decoded packet cumulative data size array). Hopefully there is some obvious way to generate it from the actual data somehow.

bgbennyboy
07-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Excellent! 96khz it is!
For those who cant do this themselves here (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/temp/Mi-SE Music 1.mp3) is a track ripped in this way (converted to mp3 to save space).

bgbennyboy
07-18-2009, 05:44 PM
We can easily put together a batch file to rip and do the conversion. However, a more optimal solution would be to get a correct WMA header to add to the raw xWMA's. As I understand it xWMA's are pretty much the same as a normal WMA and should work as part of a WMA container.

I'm going to keep trying to do this, if I can get a container then I can easily make an app to read the soundbanks and put the data in a RIFF/WMA container. Its a shame that the WMA format is such a pain in the arse¬

jott
07-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Here is a modified (i.e. hacked together) version of unxwb that produces "xwm" files that can be converted with the xWMAEncode.exe tool back to WAV (part of the DirectX SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=24a541d6-0486-4453-8641-1eee9e21b282&displaylang=en)).

Source and binary (updated):
http://helicoid.de/scumm/unxwb-mi.zip

So for example run
unxwb.exe MusicNew.xwb
and then something like
for /r . %i IN (*.xwm) do @xWMAEncode.exe %i %~ni.wav
to convert all the files to wav. (Given both tools are in the PATH or in the current directory...)

If you have LAME (http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php) installed you could finally do
for /r . %i IN (*.wav) do @lame.exe --preset extreme %i %~ni.mp3
to produce mp3 files.

michallo_w
07-18-2009, 07:25 PM
So... Can you upload it?

jott
07-18-2009, 07:33 PM
So... Can you upload it?

Upload what? I most certainly will not upload the soundtrack as everyone owning MISE can extract the files.
As for the xWMAEncode.exe - Microsoft is not very friendly regarding redistribution of their tools. A real shame. So you have to get the whole DX SDK (you could extract the EXE file if you wish instead of installing it though).

daltysmilth
07-18-2009, 09:08 PM
So what about extracting the Tales Of Monkey Island music?

bgbennyboy
07-18-2009, 09:14 PM
xWMAEncode can be found here. (http://www.enbclan.com/?page=downloads)

daltysmith:
I'll have Telltale Music Extractor updated to support TOMI Music soon.

rumperdumper
07-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Here is a modified (i.e. hacked together) version of unxwb that produces "xwm" files that can be converted with the xWMAEncode.exe tool back to WAV (part of the DirectX SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=24a541d6-0486-4453-8641-1eee9e21b282&displaylang=en)).

Source and binary (updated):

So for example run
unxwb.exe MusicOriginal.xwb
and then something like
for /r . %i IN (*.xwm) do @xWMAEncode.exe %i %~ni.wav
to convert all the files to wav. (Given both tools are in the PATH or in the current directory...)

If you have LAME (http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php) installed you could finally do
for /r . %i IN (*.wav) do @lame.exe --preset extreme %i %~ni.mp3
to produce mp3 files.

works just fine for me this way... thanks ^^

now the only thing i need are the right names for the right file... would be nice if anybody could make a list or so... i'm just too dump to name them propably... until now i'm only pretty sure that 00000016 is actually the theme music... could someone check that please

and thanks again for mentaning how it may could be possible to get the new music playable ;) :thmbup1:

deadca7
07-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Just had a listen to them all, these are the ones I know without playing the game and also the BEST songs ! :D

00000008 = SCUMM Bar
00000009 = Ghost ship
00000012 = Stan's Previously Used Ships

jott
07-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I just modified the tool to use the "description" field as the file name.

Same URL:

This way the music score is still not named very descriptive ("track18b" is the theme music for example, oh and you can guess what "silence" is) but the speech and sound effect names are MUCH better this way.

So the list should probably be made for the "trackNN" names.

EDIT: Actually the track order is basically the same as the original (Enhanced CD) version, so there should be a list out there already ;-)

spiralout
07-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the instructions. Worked like a charm. But remember to do MusicNew.xwb instead of MusicOriginal.xwb for the new music. (Why is the file so much smaller?)

jott
07-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Why is the file so much smaller?

Because the "Original" contains some uncompressed wav files.
On top of this, it contains some ambient sounds which are stored in an extra container with the new version.

(Edited my example above using the "New" version to prevent some confusions.)

Can you get this in-game somehow: Guybrush_UnknownFilename_07? :)

LogicDeLuxe
07-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Can you get this in-game somehow: Guybrush_UnknownFilename_07? :)There are quite a lot samples which likely aren't used in the game. The keelhaul-description is in there, too (which is a dialog option, but Guybrush refuses to say this). And a whole bunch of different prices for Monkey Island, including XBOX points, while the game only seems to use the original "59.95 + tax" one. Many lines include alternative takes, which the game seems to ignore as well.
I guess, any sample not referred in speech.info is not used.

The Sporkman
07-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Can someone create a simple, step-by-step, dumbed-down explanation of how to extract the music files for someone who hasn't the slightest idea how to use the command prompt?

Edit: I've manged to extract all the .xwm files with unxwb.exe, I but I still can't figure out to convert them to waves or mp3s with xWMAencode.exe. Sorry to be such a pain... I'm pretty incompetent at this sort of thing...

Edit again: Never mind. I figured everything out now. :)

Farlander1991
07-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey again, guys.

I've managed to edit speech.info correctly, without removing the voice overs, using HEX editor (don't know why it didn't work earlier). But, speech.info doesn't edit any text in the original SMI version OR the dialouge choices in the new version (I mean, like, if we change Guybrush's line, the choice line will still be the same, though Guybrush will say other things). Editing original text files kind of helped, but voice overs disappear for any edited in the original monkey game line. Does anybody know how to fix this?

bgbennyboy
07-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Original dialog text is inside the script files in the old resource files (monkey.001).

Farlander1991
07-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Yes, I already said that I found that out. The question is not "where", but "how to change the old resource files without making the character voice overs to disappear in the new version".

Jeroen_JRP
07-19-2009, 09:04 AM
While bg is working on a more optimal solution I made a batch file for the audio extraction/converting process.

It will extract every .xwb file into subdirectories and then convert every .xwm to .wav wich ends up with the folowing directory structure:

--Main (where batchfile and xwb files are)
--MusicNew (example)
--Original (containing xwm and wav files extracted from xwb)
--Converted_WAV (containing the wav files converted from the xwm files)

All you need to do to get is running is placing the unxwb.exe and xWMAEncode.exe with the batch file (miseAudioProcessing.cmd),
Then placing the xwb files you want to extract in the same directory and then run the batch file.

You can download the batch file here: http://hulauncher.jrpweb.nl/files/miseAudioProcessing.cmd

Burarum
07-19-2009, 09:21 AM
hello all! I've watched this thread intensively in these past days, and I must say I'm astonished by how well and quick you guys work :-) I just have this confession: I love the monkey island music, and even more the special edition music. I have great respect for people who know exactly how to rip and extract music from different types of files but, alas, I have no knowledge of how to do so WHATSOEVER. So I would apprieciate (and bring you monkey luv) if some kind sould might take the time to write a down to earth, step-by-step instruction of how to extract the music. I would really apprieciate this :)

Thanks in advance, and good job everyone!

Jeroen_JRP
07-19-2009, 09:43 AM
So I would apprieciate (and bring you monkey luv) if some kind sould might take the time to write a down to earth, step-by-step instruction of how to extract the music. I would really apprieciate this :)

Thanks in advance, and good job everyone!

1) First you will need the folowing files:
unwxb.exe from jott (you only need the executable file found in the .zip archive)

xWMAEncode.exe (you only need the executable file found in the .zip archive)
xWMAEncode can be found here. (http://www.enbclan.com/?page=downloads)

And my batch program to make it easier
http://hulauncher.jrpweb.nl/files/miseAudioProcessing.cmd or http://hulauncher.jrpweb.nl/files/miseAudioProcessing.zip

2) Place these files together in the same folder somewhere on your computer.
3) Assuming you want the new music, copy the MusicNew.xwb file from the audio folder of Monkey Island: SE (default: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition\audio) to the folder where you placed the downloaded files in step 2
4) Run (double-click) on miseAudioProcessing.cmd and wait till it says "Done"
5) The folder from step 2 now contains a subfolder named "MusicNew", open that folder.
6) You will find a subfolder there named "Converted_WAV", open that folder.
7) Here is all the music in .wav format, ready to be played!

jott
07-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Yes, I already said that I found that out. The question is not "where", but "how to change the old resource files without making the character voice overs to disappear in the new version".

My (unconfirmed) guess is, that the first int fields in the speech.info are some sort of CRC/hash that are used as a lookup for the original strings.

@John_Doe:
I played around a bit with the CRC (the one from Monkey1.pak to test it) but I can't get the right value. Could you share on how you can compute the CRC exactly? (I tried to & 0xDF the strings but this does not give the right solution with a CRC32).

spencersage
07-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Okay Jeroen_JRP, I've almost got this figured out... but for some reason Windows downloaded your batch program as a text file... .cmd.txt and I can't get it to recognize it or run it any other way. What do I do to get it to run it as a CMD? Sorry for my uselessness. ;)

Krasas
07-19-2009, 01:53 PM
My (unconfirmed) guess is, that the first int fields in the speech.info are some sort of CRC/hash that are used as a lookup for the original strings.

From what I could gather, the header before each "group of cues" entry in the speech.info file has the following fields.

4 bytes that are some kind of CRC or otherwise uniquely indexing a spoken line (in english). This means that the cues: "Guybrush Threepwood.", "Guybrush THREEPWOOD", "Guybrush Threepwood!" will all have the same value for this field, even though they are spoken from different characters, and have differences in pronounciation. I really have trouble understanding the reason for this field, but I bet that this is what causes problems with fansubs.
2 bytes that index the room where the cue is spoken
2 bytes that are some kind of index for the "interaction" where the cue is spoken (e.g. same value if guybrush interacts with the same object, same value throughout one conversation)
2 bytes that somehow index the cue within the conversation or the room -I am not sure.
2 bytes that incementally index a "subcue" (if any) within a single cue. Subcues are seperated by the escape sequence \255\003 in the original text. (value 00 for the first subcue, 01 for the second etc.)
2 bytes: that have the value 01 if the line is spoken by Guybrush, and 00 else.
2 bytes: of unknown purpose. They almost always seem to be 00, but there are cases where they have other value.

elTee
07-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Okay Jeroen_JRP, I've almost got this figured out... but for some reason Windows downloaded your batch program as a text file... .cmd.txt and I can't get it to recognize it or run it any other way. What do I do to get it to run it as a CMD? Sorry for my uselessness. ;)

If you click on 'tools' in any windows explorer folder, then 'folder options' there should be an option to hide/reveal filename extensions. If you make them visible you can just remove the '.txt' from the end of the filename and it'll work fine.

Jeroen_JRP
07-19-2009, 02:48 PM
If you click on 'tools' in any windows explorer folder, then 'folder options' there should be an option to hide/reveal filename extensions. If you make them visible you can just remove the '.txt' from the end of the filename and it'll work fine.

Exactly, and in case that doesn't work I uploaded a .zip containing the .cmd file:
http://hulauncher.jrpweb.nl/files/miseAudioProcessing.zip

koun
07-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I have created a batch file to rename the tracks of the new Soundtrack:
ren "track18b.mp3" "01. Opening Themes.mp3"
ren "track18c.mp3" "02. Introduction.mp3"
ren "track7.mp3" "03. Chapter Screen.mp3"
ren "track9.mp3" "04. The Scumm Bar.mp3"
ren "track13.mp3" "05. LeChuck's Theme.mp3"
ren "track3.mp3" "06. Following The Shop Keeper.mp3"
ren "track10.mp3" "07. Ghost Ship Shuffle.mp3"
ren "track6.mp3" "08. Meleé Island.mp3"
ren "track2.mp3" "09. The Voodoo Shop.mp3"
ren "track8.mp3" "10. Guybrush and Elaine.mp3"
ren "track4.mp3" "11. Meleé Forest.mp3"
ren "track19.mp3" "12. Stan's Previously Used Ships.mp3"
ren "track12.mp3" "13. The Fettucini Brothers.mp3"
ren "track16.mp3" "14. The Journey.mp3"
ren "track15.mp3" "15. Monkey Island.mp3"
ren "track22.mp3" "16. The Cannibal Village.mp3"
ren "track14.mp3" "17. LeChuck's Theme (Alternate).mp3"
ren "track5.mp3" "18. Organ Prelude.mp3"
ren "track17.mp3" "19. Closing Themes.mp3"
ren "track18a.mp3" "20. Theme (alternative version).mp3"
ren "track20.mp3" "21. Unknown.mp3"
ren "track10a.mp3" "22. Ghost Ship Shuffle (alternative version).mp3"
It is based on the following soundtrack: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/mi1.htm
Feel free to post corrections of any kind

ramy
07-19-2009, 05:43 PM
2) Place these files together in the same folder somewhere on your computer.

For the script to work, be sure the folder that you place these in from the c:\ don't have any spaces in the folder name. For example, having your folder in C:\Documents and Settings\etc...won't work.

I was having this problem and it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get the script to work.

Jeroen_JRP
07-19-2009, 06:04 PM
For the script to work, be sure the folder that you place these in from the c:\ don't have any spaces in the folder name. For example, having your folder in C:\Documents and Settings\etc...won't work.

I was having this problem and it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get the script to work.

Ow, I'm sorry about that, forgot to check it. Didn't have any trouble myself becouse Windows Vista and 7 use far less spaces in their folders.
Thanks for the heads up!

Rum Rogers
07-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Hey again, guys.

I've managed to edit speech.info correctly, without removing the voice overs, using HEX editor (don't know why it didn't work earlier). But, speech.info doesn't edit any text in the original SMI version OR the dialouge choices in the new version (I mean, like, if we change Guybrush's line, the choice line will still be the same, though Guybrush will say other things). Editing original text files kind of helped, but voice overs disappear for any edited in the original monkey game line. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Hi everybody!
How'd you do that? I tried editing it with HEX editor, but the game crashes as soon as the line I edit gets said by the character.

Rum Rogers
07-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Oops, sorry, I figured it out. It's due to the use of strings with different length.

Farlander1991
07-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Well, in speech.info phrases can be any length as long as they're within their block (you can notice that all speech.info is divided in blocks of the same length), and as long as you don't delete the spaces (20s) and put value 00 inbetween the end of your phrase and the spaces themselves. No crashing.

accolon
07-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Ow, I'm sorry about that, forgot to check it. Didn't have any trouble myself becouse Windows Vista and 7 use far less spaces in their folders.
Thanks for the heads up!

Well, the easiest way would be to put quotation marks around the filename variables.

Snugglecakes
07-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Not sure if anyone has noticed this.

I ripped the original music from the special edition and then from my original MI1 CD. There's a definite difference in quality, with the original CD music being the better. Only other difference is that the original CD music has silence before and after every track, the SE music has had this removed, making for slightly smaller length clips and you don't get that pause when you enter a new room.

Jeroen_JRP
07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Well, the easiest way would be to put quotation marks around the filename variables.

Thank you! Should be working now:
http://hulauncher.jrpweb.nl/files/miseAudioProcessing.cmd
or
http://hulauncher.jrpweb.nl/files/miseAudioProcessing.zip

Benjy
07-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone,

Wow, it's been years since I had come here. Anyway, this might seem to be a dumb question, but what is the engine behind MI: SE? A newer SCUMM?

Mmm... no one knows? :confused:

Espiox
07-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Mmm... no one knows? :confused:

I'm pretty sure Lucasarts have confirmed that it is SCUMM, but I would imagine it's a heavily-altered version.

irishmile
07-21-2009, 02:56 AM
Not sure if this will work in game but......... ?

Im not even close to being done with all of the sprites...
I based it off the original box art.

What I need to know is since his hair is shorter here will it mess up the ingame sprite? Like will he have black splotches on top? I have no clue how to actually put it in the game.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6403/guybrush.png

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6403/guybrush.th.png (http://img262.imageshack.us/i/guybrush.png/)

Guy.brush
07-21-2009, 03:27 AM
The SE uses DXT textures. They either have a built in interpolated alpha channel or in some cases seperate mask images seem to have been used. Height shouldn't be a problem as long as he is the same size or SHORTER than the SE version. If he is taller, you might get more overlapping problems with parts of rooms (door frames, etc).

Oh and you will eventually have to generate that new alpha channel for your version, so keep that in mind when altering images.

irishmile
07-21-2009, 03:45 AM
I give up LOL

Guy.brush
07-21-2009, 03:58 AM
WHat? don't give up, his hair looks very good.
Just remember that you need a version with him cut out. I dunno how the sprites work, maybe they just need to be on pure black or another color for the game to make that color transparent, but some of the game art I looked at definitely had alpha channels/masks.
You know what an alpha channel is? An integrated channel that serves as a mask to make parts of an image semi-/transparent.

deadca7
07-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Don't give up at all!
It's very easy to do. I'm using photoshop. but it should be about the same for every paint program that support alpha

1. Go in to channels, CTRL click the alpha map
2. Go bak to layers. Press CTRL + J, now you should have Guybrush on a separate layer
3. Paint the new hair, or what ever you wanna do
4. Go back to channels, paint alpha map black
5. Go back to layers
6. CTRL click on the Guybrush layer
7. Go back to channels, and fill the selection with WHITE

All that is white is gonna show in game, gray is 50% transparent.
Done

EDIT:
I took my time to render your edit out, just to test it in-game. I'm uploading it as .png (with transparency) so you can use it if you didn't paint on transparency.
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4639/costumesa0.th.png (http://img200.imageshack.us/i/costumesa0.png/)

And it works like a charm in-game btw :)
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6199/testssd.th.jpg (http://img257.imageshack.us/i/testssd.jpg/)

jott
07-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Please continue your work! It looks really promising.

Actually the DXT5 format used for all the sprites supports an alpha channel.

Your PNG picture above has a black background. In your graphics program, is it black there too? All those sprites should have a transparent background.
This means, you should be able to just use the regular alpha channel of your graphics program without any special treatment.

jott
07-21-2009, 07:49 AM
...other than that, use my dds2dxt (http://helicoid.de/scumm/dds2dxt.zip) tool to convert the DDS that your graphics program (or any 3rd party tool) saves back to DXT. Just drag&drop the DDS file on it.

Then you can just replace it with the original dxt file and you should see it in-game.

irishmile
07-21-2009, 12:03 PM
I have just been using the .png files someone posted here because I actually have no clue how to extract them and then put it back in.

irishmile
07-21-2009, 12:12 PM
I have been using these..... I will work on them some more off and on.. :thmbup1: but I may need someone to work the magic on them again and make what I do with them workable in game.

Just for fun, by the way, here's most of Guybrush's costume:

http://www.jither.net/media/images/guybrush.png
http://www.jither.net/media/images/guybrush2.png
http://www.jither.net/media/images/guyho.png

jott
07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
It's not that hard to extract the data files.
Just run extractpak (http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip) in the Monkey Island SE directory (where the Monkey1.pak is).
This will extract all artwork and store it in the "DDS" format.

Now you just need a tool to load and save DDS files.

There seems to be a Photoshop DDS Plugin by Nvidia (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html) so you might want to check it out if you use Photoshop.

That's actually all about it. If you finished your work just convert it back to the original dxt format with dds2dxt (http://helicoid.de/scumm/dds2dxt.zip).

irishmile
07-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Here are the other two...

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1016/guybrush2.png

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3938/guyho.png

Guy.brush
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
love it.

jott
07-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Indeed. Much better than the "original" one.

The facial expression is still weird though........

I wonder how much better the remake would have been perceived from many fans, when Guybrush looked decent.

Snugglecakes
07-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Oh wow wow wow! This is so awesome, great stuff. I still don't know how LEC came up with that awful default character that doesn't look like anything from any of the other MI games.

irishmile
07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Indeed. Much better than the "original" one.

The facial expression is still weird though........

I wonder how much better the remake would have been perceived from many fans, when Guybrush looked decent.

I seriously thought about redeoing the face as well... but decided the hair was a big enough project as it is... Seeing as how I have not even really dented the amount of sprites still left to do I am glad I didnt do the face as well..... I mean anytime he interacts with something new he needs a new head..... WHY couldnt lucasarts just use a head replacement for all the animations? I suppose they didnt feel the need to make it easy for us to make their ugly sprite a little less ugly.

Burarum
07-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Any updates on the Tales music? :)

bgbennyboy
07-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Tales music is coming. I'm working on it now.

ronzbig1
07-23-2009, 03:21 PM
From what I could gather, the header before each "group of cues" entry in the speech.info file has the following fields.

4 bytes that are some kind of CRC or otherwise uniquely indexing a spoken line (in english). This means that the cues: "Guybrush Threepwood.", "Guybrush THREEPWOOD", "Guybrush Threepwood!" will all have the same value for this field, even though they are spoken from different characters, and have differences in pronounciation. I really have trouble understanding the reason for this field, but I bet that this is what causes problems with fansubs.
2 bytes that index the room where the cue is spoken
2 bytes that are some kind of index for the "interaction" where the cue is spoken (e.g. same value if guybrush interacts with the same object, same value throughout one conversation)
2 bytes that somehow index the cue within the conversation or the room -I am not sure.
2 bytes that incementally index a "subcue" (if any) within a single cue. Subcues are seperated by the escape sequence \255\003 in the original text. (value 00 for the first subcue, 01 for the second etc.)
2 bytes: that have the value 01 if the line is spoken by Guybrush, and 00 else.
2 bytes: of unknown purpose. They almost always seem to be 00, but there are cases where they have other value.

Do you think you could write some editor, which gives chance to add new language/change other?

koun
07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
I am currently working on a tool for easy translating of SoMI-SE (well, as "easy" as translating that many lines can be made).

It will basically consist of a table that includes the following columns:
-English line
-Translated line [english before you changed it] (editable)
-"is translated" checkbox [undo translation(replace with english again), mark translated(if you wanna keep the original, e.g. for "Grrrrrr")]
-actor
-scene
-maybe other info...

below will be some small tables showing:
-lines identical (or similar) to the one selected
-all subcues form the same cue as the selected one
-all lines from the same scene as the selected one

I plan for the following features:
-tables can be sorted by any column
-search/filter lines
-add same translation to identical lines with one click (or multiple clicks if you wanna select part of the lines only)

I'll open a new thread as soon as I got a preview version ready (I can currently parse the file and display the information in the table).

Any feedback from translators that can help me understand how to make the job easier would be very welcome. Just post in this thread for now.

Guy.brush
07-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Nice work koun!
Maybe you could add a porn- ,nerd- or sweary-fyer or something like that? You know, some automatic translation, were certain nouns or verbs get exchanged with very naughty or silly words. Like those generators for webpages?
Might be interesting to play a MI mod where the dialogue is full with random stuff like that.
So imagine a checkbox for a swearing Guybrush where random curse words get inserted into his standard phrases.
"For f***k's sake man, I can't fr***n pick that f***n **** up!"

Or imagine a Christian Bale mod:

"For f**k's sake man, walk to the sun? Walk to the f***n sun? You're amateur man."

EmperorJello
07-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Here are the other two...

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1016/guybrush2.png

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3938/guyho.png

Splendid.

How do we use them in-game? Do we need to repack (and how?) or is there some sort of override directory functionality?

And could we do something about Elaine's hair as well?

Guy.brush
07-23-2009, 07:28 PM
If Irishsmile completes his work (including replacing the alphachannel/mask for the Guybrush sprite, which shouldn't be too hard) then all you'd have to do is place the new texture file inside the appropriate directory.
The engine scans the base directory for art/.. and uses this with priority over the files packaged inside monkey1.pak.
So if you name the texture like the original and it is in "legit" DXT format it will just work.

jp-30
07-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Nice work koun!
Maybe you could add a porn- ,nerd- or sweary-fyer or something like that? You know, some automatic translation, were certain nouns or verbs get exchanged with very naughty or silly words. Like those generators for webpages?
Might be interesting to play a MI mod where the dialogue is full with random stuff like that.
So imagine a checkbox for a swearing Guybrush where random curse words get inserted into his standard phrases.
"For f***k's sake man, I can't fr***n pick that f***n **** up!"

Or imagine a Christian Bale mod:

"For f**k's sake man, walk to the sun? Walk to the f***n sun? You're amateur man."

Uhh, let's not push our luck with LucasArts, eh? Do you really think LucasArts would be happy to see that mod?

Anyway... Is anyone working on adding alpha to Irishsmile's beautiful work and saving them as the individual replacement files that can be zipped up as a mod-pack (and unzipped into the required game directory)? If not I'm happy to give it go, but don't want to do it if someone's already working on it.

Oh, and can anyone extract the Guybrush closeups so Irishsmile may consider applying the new hairstyle to those graphics too? I can open them in photoshop, but they have weird striping in the backgrounds.

The bad news, Irishsmile, is that there are a lot more guybrush sprites - Cannon shot, pulley swing, Q-Tip, Meat swinging, Chest Carrying, Slipping over etc, but I dare say 95% of them are just cut and pastes of your existing hair designs. Plus several closeups, of course.

jp-30
07-23-2009, 08:19 PM
(double post)

Kev63
07-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Just to inform you that the iPhone version of the game has a Monkey1.pak which looks the same as the PC one (hopefully smaller in size as there aren't DXT files but only PNG). The Remonkeyed Explorer is fully compatible with this...

bgbennyboy
07-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Aye, just looked at that myself. At first glance other file formats seem the same, apart from music+audio which is caf

maff.brush
07-24-2009, 07:08 PM

hi everybody! any idea about those 4 bytes? I would like to translate the subs in the "old mode", but keeping the speech in the new one.

jp-30
07-24-2009, 11:35 PM
If all the new sprites/backgrounds were replaced by 100% transparent dxt/dds files, would the game 'see through' to the original sprite / backgrounds and keep the new voicework and music?

Krasas
07-25-2009, 04:19 AM
hi everybody! any idea about those 4 bytes? I would like to translate the subs in the "old mode", but keeping the speech in the new one.

From quick observation, only 20 bits seem to be used in this field. I don't know the exact method they use to calculate the value for this field, but if I had to guess -and if the assumption that this is a checksum is correct, I'd say they probably first convert the line (subcue) to lower case chars, remove any non-alphanumeric chars (including '.', '?','!', quotation marks etc) maybe even remove white spaces and then produce the checksum. So unless we can figure out this checksum function, it won't be possible to proceed with fansubbing.

And keep in mind:the worst case scenario is that such a function could have been written to ignore any characters that don't belong to the english alphabet. Which is highly likely, 'cause when I translated some lines for the classic text, but kept names like "melee island", "guybrush threepwood" intact, the game actually used speech for these lines (speaking only these names). Which means it ignored everything else in the line and just did a lookup based on the checksum of the english words it found :(

So, currently, the only way to change the text and keep the speech is the following: Keep the english text in the classic version and modify one of the available translations (excluding the english one, so e.g. change the french one) in the speech.info file. Then by selecting that translation (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918817) (here the french one) you'll still have the classic version in english, but the new one will be in your language -font problems aside.

I am also interested in writing tool to support a new translation (or porting a translation for the classic version to the new one). However, in my case this would also mean messing with and patching the font files if possible, to extend the charset.

maff.brush
07-25-2009, 11:46 AM
I'd say they probably first convert the line (subcue) to lower case chars, remove any non-alphanumeric chars (including '.', '?','!', quotation marks etc) maybe even remove white spaces and then produce the checksum.
I can confirm this (white spaces are removed too). I have no idea how to get the checksum function (...if it is possible...)

TheJoe
07-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Misunderstood you then, but in that case, nothing codewise keeps it from running the original game with the sound effects, and turning the art projection off.

This all seems to me that if you wanted speech in the classic view you wouldn't need to patch it (MISP style or otherwise) but simply prevent the speech from muting.

In regards to extracted music - if you have the original MI CD version to use with ScummVM, I think you'll be able to use them because they all seem to have the same filenames as the original CD audio.

koun
07-26-2009, 09:04 PM
My translation tool has reached a usable state. So I'll make it available for public testing in a day or 2.

Are any free hosts preferred or discouraged in this forum?

bgbennyboy
07-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Good stuff, any will do. You may be able to attach it to your post though (go to the advanced post view).

koun
07-27-2009, 08:29 PM
The first test version my translation tool is now available (http://www.load.to/OrwzBN3XZb/misetran.jar).

It is tested with Java 6 SE on Windows XP. Might work on Java 5.0 as well. Other operation system should be no problem, as long as Swing is available.

You can pass the speech.info file as a parameter:
java -jar misetran.jar x:\path\speech.info
If you don't, a file chooser will pop up when you start the tool.

When a speech.info file is opened for the first time the tool replaces the first non-English language with English, so that lines that are not yet translated are in English. The other 3 translations in the speech.info file are used for data storage. (I will later add a tool to combine up to 4 such files into one, which will then include the 4 translations and no other data from the tool). So you have to select the first non-English language (French) in MI SE to see your translation.

In the GUI you have the main table showing all lines. You can edit the cells in the translation column. Changes are saved to the file directly. You can also change the "translated?" checkbox. You can set it to true to keep the English text (e.g. for "Oh" or "Grrrr"). You can also uncheck it, removing your translation (has to be accepted in a dialog).
The table can be sorted by any column. You can also resize columns and do anything else a basic jTable supports.

Above the table is a text field that allows filtering the table by the content of the "English" column.

The table below the main table shows all lines similar to the selected one. It allows for quick translating of equal and similar lines.

Please test the tool for "real world" usability (I'm not a game translator myself).
Any feedback is welcome and will encourage further development. (I already got some features planned...)

lparcshinoda
07-28-2009, 08:10 AM
I'd like to fix some error in the Italian translation ... could it be possibile with this tool ? Thanks everybody that's working on modding here .... you're really doing great

Rum Rogers
07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
I've already done that... I hated the new translation.
You can find the patch in the italian miforum.
It's just 1.0 for now, but at least no more "orzata" and "possente pirata"

ronzbig1
07-28-2009, 05:32 PM
koun, your tool is great. You could add to it some searching functions. However, it's not the final answer to problem, because when you put classic files, game reads text from them, and you still don't hear dubbing.

jaap
07-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Just ripped the MI-SE music, and renamed everything using the provided tutorial and the the batch file.
Love it!!!
Thank you guys!

Jaap

jaap
07-29-2009, 12:28 AM
BTW, the renaming batchfile by koun is not entirely using the filenames as listed in the mojo soundtrack review:

http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/read.php?article=somisoundtrack

There are 22 files, that seems to be correct. Howver, I'm clueless about the bonus tracks, especially 'Bonus Track: Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx – Xxxx Xxxxx (Xxxx Xxxxx)'

Riot23
07-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi!

I wanted to ask Irishmile how his progress of changing all the guybrush-sprites is proceeding?
I love your version of Guybrush! The hair you made for him is so much closer to the old original than the ugly version from the remake...
I've changed the forst file in the arts-folder (costumes_ao-dxt) and the improvement is incredible.

I was so shocked when I first saw their new version of Guybrush with this silly hairs.
Didn't expect to see some guys fixing this so fast. :thmbup1:
Now I hope you didn't stop changing all the sprites.

koun
08-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm not done with all things I want to implement, but I think I have accumulated some changes big enough to release the 2nd test version of my MI-SE translation tool: http://www.load.to/46hZcrSeKB/misetran.jar

the update includes:

options for search and 2nd table (full or partial match, case sensitivity, ...)
ability to select multiple lines in main table and mark them as translated
ability to select multiple lines in 2nd table and copy the translation form the selected line of the main table into them
column widths are optimized on start up
empty lines are no longer shown (empty English text)

when you try the tool please let me know the following:

does it work at all? (what is your OS and Java version?)
how is the start-up time? [when using an already adapted speech.info]
how is the performance, do any actions hang or work slowly? (what are your CPU and other hardware specs?)
how good do you consider the usability? would you prefer any design changes?
what are your feature request for this tool or additional related tools?

upcoming features are: support for uiText.info, some statistics, clean-up for the release of the source code, some mini-tools to e.g. copy languages around so you can start with an other one than English as your basis (for improvements on existing translations or maybe for "fun"-translations...).
Having written this I notice I don't have any to-dos for the GUI itself, so please let me know if you have any ideas. Feedback from actual translators would be very helpful for me, as well as encouraging.

Riot23
08-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Since Irishmile didn't answer I started to complete changing all the guybrush sprites with the new hair that Irishmile made.

So far I have completed the following folders:
1_guybrush_skin
35_climbing
36_sliding

This includes Guybrush walking and still-standing in every direction, Guybrush climbing ladders and Guybrush swinging along the cable with the rubber chicken in both directions.

Works in-game just perfectly! :)

But there are a lot of sprites left^^
I'll upload all the finished dxt-files when everything is done (which will possibly take only a few days).

EDIT
just finished the folders
38_wet_guy
43_digging
44_guy_fighting

Everything tested - works fine! :)

irishmile
08-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Godbless you Riot23.... I do not have the time or the internet access to finish it anyway...... I appreciate you taking it up and fully support you.... let me know if there is a way I can help and I will try if time permits.

Riot23
08-06-2009, 11:07 AM
No problem! :)
Biggest thx belongs to you for creating the "new" hair!
And of course to all those who managed to unpack the monkey1.pak and providing their programms to let us do the same.

Without you all I couldn't do anything!

When I encounter some sprites where I am not able to fit on your existing hair (because it's a different angle or somehting like that) I'll let you know. Maybe you can make the hair for those.
But so far I could make it^^

btw
If uploaded all files I've changed so far here:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-1810413/MISE---HairPatch---UNFINSIHED-by-IrishMile---Riot23.rar.html

Simpley put the rar-file in the main game folder and unpack.
It should overwrite the dxt-files automatically because I've put the appropriate folder topology in the rar-file.

So you can at least see and test what you created! :)

For now it's walking, standing, talking, fighting, digging, sliding the cable, climbing ladders and throwing the poisended meat to the dogs.

irishmile
08-06-2009, 09:10 PM
take at least half credit. I.E. it should read by Irishmile and Riot23... even copy and pasting over all that takes a ton of work.

Riot23
08-07-2009, 05:55 AM
ok, I'll will! :)

btw
Just finished the following folders
1_guybrush_skin
35_climbing
36_sliding
38_wet_guy
43_digging
44_guy_fighting
46_guy_meat-skin
47_pour-acid
60_dunked
66_guy-nest-skin
67_guy-chest-skin
68_guymap-skin
72_guybrush-butt
78_guy-qtip
79_guy-in-crack
80_guyblow-skin
83_flybrush-skin
88_fall-guy

getting closer to completion^^

EDIT
@irishmile
Maybe there is a thing where you can help me...
With the two files of the flybrush-folder (these are the sprites when Guybrush is flying towards the camera after shooting himself to monkey island).
It's these two pictures:
http://picpaste.de/flybrush_costumes_a0.png
http://picpaste.de/flybrush_costumes_a1.png
Click once on each picture to get it in fullsize. They are already png with transparency (which is important).

The problem is that Guybrush is much bigger here than on the other pictures. To get the new hair on his head I had to upscale it immensly. I've sharpened it afterwards but because of the big upscale it's not really looking good.
This is what I came up with on these:
http://picpaste.de/flybrush_custom.png
(again clicking on the picutre for fullsize)

As you see the hair is very pixelated and it doesn't fit pretty good neither.
Maybe you can do your new hair again on these two in bigger size if you find the time.
Just save it again as png with transparency if possible.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT2
Just played the scene to test how it looks ingame ... and well, it didn't look anyway that bad as I thought. :)

Riot23
08-08-2009, 12:31 PM
DONE!!! :):):)

I hope I didn't forget a folder, but I think I got them all.

And here it is, the first hair patch for our beloved game:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-1814570/MISE---Hair-Patch---by-Irishmile-and-Riot23.rar.html

Just unpack and copy the "art" folder into the game directory.
What still remains unchanged are all the close-ups.

Maybe someone might try to edit them, but at least every single Sprite of Guybrush got rid of the ugly hair LucasArts put on him.

irishmile
08-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Fantastic job mate... thanks for working so hard to finish what I started.

Start spreading the love.... i think this could have its own thread.

jp-30
08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Mojo news'd.

Monkey Mania
08-08-2009, 09:30 PM
You're famous now :D

SHODANFreeman
08-08-2009, 11:26 PM
@irishmile
Maybe there is a thing where you can help me...
With the two files of the flybrush-folder (these are the sprites when Guybrush is flying towards the camera after shooting himself to monkey island).
It's these two pictures:
http://picpaste.de/flybrush_costumes_a0.png
http://picpaste.de/flybrush_costumes_a1.png
Click once on each picture to get it in fullsize. They are already png with transparency (which is important).

The problem is that Guybrush is much bigger here than on the other pictures. To get the new hair on his head I had to upscale it immensly. I've sharpened it afterwards but because of the big upscale it's not really looking good.
This is what I came up with on these:
http://picpaste.de/flybrush_custom.png
(again clicking on the picutre for fullsize)

As you see the hair is very pixelated and it doesn't fit pretty good neither.
Maybe you can do your new hair again on these two in bigger size if you find the time.
Just save it again as png with transparency if possible.
Thanks in advance.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n377/GodzillaX8/flybrush_custom.png

I had a go at making the sprite look better, not perfect but I think it's an improvement at least.

Khar
08-09-2009, 04:35 PM
How about these for the flying Guybrush sprites? I knocked these up in quarter of an hour or so, so they're a little rough.

I also changed the face slightly from the SE edition in an attempt to make him look a little less gormless.

http://picpaste.de/flybrush_costumes_a0_new.png
http://picpaste.de/flybrush_costumes_a1_new_1.png

SHODANFreeman
08-09-2009, 06:39 PM
How about these for the flying Guybrush sprites? I knocked these up in quarter of an hour or so, so they're a little rough.

I also changed the face slightly from the SE edition in an attempt to make him look a little less gormless.

Wow those are a lot better than my poopy attempt :eek:

Riot23
08-09-2009, 07:51 PM

Wow! Those look very great!
I will put them in the patch! :thmbup1:

Are you maybe interested in editing the close-ups?

Khar
08-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Wow! Those look very great!
I will put them in the patch! :thmbup1:

Are you maybe interested in editing the close-ups?

Thanks! I can't work on the close-ups. Sorry about that, I just don't have time. Good luck with finishing the project though.

MusiclyInspired
08-12-2009, 02:23 AM
DONE!!! :):):)

I hope I didn't forget a folder, but I think I got them all.

And here it is, the first hair patch for our beloved game:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-1814570/MISE---Hair-Patch---by-Irishmile-and-Riot23.rar.html

Just unpack and copy the "art" folder into the game directory.
What still remains unchanged are all the close-ups.

Maybe someone might try to edit them, but at least every single Sprite of Guybrush got rid of the ugly hair LucasArts put on him.

His hair wiggles oddly when he talks as if it's an insecure wig. Not perfect but otherwise works nicely. Good job.

koun
08-12-2009, 03:59 AM
His hair wiggles oddly when he talks as if it's an insecure wig. Not perfect but otherwise works nicely. Good job.

Gotta agree. The only issue I see is that the hair is not "aligned" the same way for all frames, which is noticeable when they are animated.

BTW when this is fixed, this pack should get it's own thread IMHO.

Khar
08-12-2009, 07:40 PM
For my own amusement, I'm also altering the Guybrush sprites.

I've deflated the hair, widened his face shape, and darkened his brows. I'm around 50% through the sprites. I'm working on all the side views now.

Here's a small sample of before and after:

http://i32.tinypic.com/6ftv1d.jpg

And here's ingame:

http://i31.tinypic.com/11adb1t.png

Scabb dude
08-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Hey, what about trying to build up a new Guybrush sprite starting from this original Purcell's work?
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/ATMachine/mimisc1/mi1activity3a.png
I mean, he needs to be dressed first.
Someone should do it!

irishmile
08-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Yeah I noticed that too.... :(

Khar
08-17-2009, 03:49 PM
For those who, like me, dislike the new logo for Stan's, I've created a replacement sign.

Comparison of SE, my version and the original VGA (http://picpaste.de/stans_comparison.jpg)

Here's a link with a larger screenshot: http://picpaste.de/pics/stans_replacement_1.1250536613.jpg

The replacement dxt files are here, unzip into the art/rooms/ folder to use:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-1831351/Stan--s-Sign-Replacement-by-Khar.zip.html

ThunderPeel2001
08-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Great job!

paprik123456
08-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Hey Guys, I plan to change BG for this game, because most of them is kind of ugly... so I got some of yours programs and hopefully its gonna work. IF it is same process as the sprites, then it could work. If not, can somebody make something for export import BGs... thanks

paprik123456
08-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Hey guys, it works perfect.... I did couple changes in BGs and works great....so cool! you smart guys! anyway, you can check my work here:

http://patrikspacek.blogspot.com/

and my older version of monkey island art is at the bottom.

I will not make it in CG because then I would have to make characters as well, so not for now. I will try to paint little bit more :o)

jp-30
08-20-2009, 05:22 AM
Can we see some of what you have done to SoMI: SE?

paprik123456
08-20-2009, 10:02 AM
This is the quick link... http://patrikspacek.blogspot.com/2008/11/secret-of-monkey-island-remake.html

otherwise, as I said above, its at the bottom of my blog.

Scabb dude
08-20-2009, 07:19 PM
They look so impressive to me! The SCUMM bar and the kitchen are my favorite ones, you really did a great work. Now I wanna buy the game just to play it with your new BGs! When all the BGs are done, please make a patch!

Sphaa80
08-21-2009, 03:41 PM
paprik123456:

I had to registrer just to say how much I love your Monkey Island Backgrounds. They are the best MI pictures I've ever seen!!

To bad lucasarts didn't hire you to help them (or tell them how to do it) with MI1:SE

To everyone else,
great work you have done here, I love it!!

MethodGit
08-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know what tools out there (if any) will convert tracks in Apple's CoreAudio format (.caf)? The music tracks in the iPhone version are recorded in this format and it seems to be a relatively obscure format.

paprik123456
08-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi Guys, first scene is done... here is the file:

http://leteckaposta.cz/493174926

What you have to do is unpack zip file, and copy Art folder to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition\

This file also includes new Guybrush hair from "Riot23" (I guess) :)

Let me know how you like it... comments are welcome :thmbup1:

Jeroen_JRP
08-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Wow, that looks amazing.

It's not as accurate to the original than the official SE, but the amount of detail, just wow!

Sphaa80
08-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Nice, very nice!!

I would like to see the sky a little darker (and a small moon in the dock scene) but beside that it looks great.

paprik123456
08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
I've already done that... I hated the new translation.
You can find the patch in the italian miforum.
It's just 1.0 for now, but at least no more "orzata" and "possente pirata"

Can you give a link to the Italian version of MI? I cant find it, thx

Bluddy
08-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Amazing job paprik. I also registered to voice my support for your amazing work.

paprik123456
08-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Amazing job paprik. I also registered to voice my support for your amazing work.

Thanks a lot Bluddy! appreciated!

LordTrilobite
08-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Not sure if this will work in game but......... ?

Im not even close to being done with all of the sprites...
I based it off the original box art.

What I need to know is since his hair is shorter here will it mess up the ingame sprite? Like will he have black splotches on top? I have no clue how to actually put it in the game.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6403/guybrush.png

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6403/guybrush.th.png (http://img262.imageshack.us/i/guybrush.png/)
The front looks awesome, but in the sideviews the back of his head looks odd.

paprik123456
08-27-2009, 03:26 PM
The front looks awesome, but in the sideviews the back of his head looks odd.

I will fix the guybrush character! There are so many upset people all over lucas-arts forums, so I will do it for yu guys. Let you know when its done!

This is what I am gonna fix, if you have more idea let me know:

- skin color
- eyes (not sure yet)
- hair
- eyebrows - color and (not sure yet) style
- expression and charm (not sure yet)
- shorter neck (not sure yet)
- getting closer to CMI look

I also think about Marley and Lechuck's final close-up face. Lechuck looks like he is happy he just died (smiling).

MethodGit
08-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Nobody got any suggestions about the CAF audio format then?

LordTrilobite
08-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Alright! I extracted the files from SoMI:SE. Now I shall do my part in improving graphics the best I can.

I was thinking of doing a blue LeChuck, and maybe some improvements on the forest.

paprik123456
08-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Alright! I extracted the files from SoMI:SE. Now I shall do my part in improving graphics the best I can.

I was thinking of doing a blue LeChuck, and maybe some improvements on the forest.

I am glad there is next person doing new art for MI-SE, even I dont know how good you are and what I can recommend is follow the original game in any way. Lechuck supposed to be very creepy character with big respect. Are good painter or cg artist?

LordTrilobite
08-28-2009, 06:49 PM
In terms of shape, LeChuck isn't that bad, but the colour bothers me.

I'm fairly good with painting in Photoshop though, but I think I'll just recolour him. There are just so many sprites, repainting characters would be loads of work.
In general MI:SE isn't bad, it's just sloppy.

Another thing that bothers me btw, but I've yet to see anyone else say anything about it. The Important Looking Pirates in the Scummbar, their torso's that continue under teh table, aren't alligned with the proper perspective of the table. Making it look weird.

Sphaa80
08-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Again, thanks for changing the graphichs. I love your project. And I would love you if you could do something with the sky in melee island (around the town).

But the reason I'm writing this is to ask if you could start a new thread instead of using this one. It would be much easier to follow both file format changes and graphic changes if they were in seperate threads.

LordTrilobite
08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
I've fixed the store alpha problems, or atleast I hope. Aligning the rope near the door was a bitch. But I have no idea how to get these back in to the game, can anyone help with that or tell me how to do it?

Store fixes include:
Rope near door
Front layer barrels

I'll upload the .psd files here
https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=YkxLT20rZ2o1R05jR0E9PQ

I also tried some things on LeChuck, but no luck yet in getting him look better, so I might try to fix up the forest first.

LordTrilobite
08-29-2009, 03:37 PM
I've started on the forest now, well, on the first half of the first scene. And you wouldn't believe how sloppy it is. I'm beginning to think that all the pixels in the forest is due to some mistake in switching layers, because it seems that a lot of pixels are overlapping the new graphics.
But fixing the whole forest is a massive undertaking. Would be better to spread this over several people, otherwize it would take ages.
The forest scene I'm working on is 100_forest-1 so no one else does double work.

paprik123456
08-30-2009, 11:59 PM
I've started on the forest now, well, on the first half of the first scene. And you wouldn't believe how sloppy it is. I'm beginning to think that all the pixels in the forest is due to some mistake in switching layers, because it seems that a lot of pixels are overlapping the new graphics.
But fixing the whole forest is a massive undertaking. Would be better to spread this over several people, otherwize it would take ages.
The forest scene I'm working on is 100_forest-1 so no one else does double work.

ok, what you have to do is: Save you final psd as dds with same name as the original file (DXT5 alpha). Then convert them to dxt and copy them to the same folder where the original files are and rewrite them. Then take this folder (art/rooms/images/30_store) and copy that to game folder. If you have my Lookout scene already in the game, you need just add your folder 30_store. I explained this whole process in previous post and other people explain that here too.

LordTrilobite
08-31-2009, 03:24 PM
**** YEAH!
It works! I've fixed that pesky store alpha problem. The rope hanging in fron of the door now doesn't disappear when the door is opened. When looking in the room art files I also noticed that the barrels in the foreground had horrid alpha, lots of weird bumps and gaps where they shouldn't be. So I fixed those too.

Here's a screenshot, I'll upload the patch later when I've fixed more stuff. The alpha of the door is still not really perfect.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/olofmoleman/screenshotstore.jpg

LordTrilobite
08-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Alright, here's my first patch.
https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=YkxJTkZ0dEM4Q1R2Wmc9PQ (temp host, filefront was being slow)

I've fixed the most horrible problems in the store, and retouched one of the scenes in the forest (there are 20! in total :P )

The forest scene I've retouched is the place right in front of the treasure scene. Most visible pixels should be gone now, aswell as any strange alpha.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/olofmoleman/screenshotforest.jpg

I'll update this patch as I continue fixing up other backgrounds.

paprik123456
09-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Alright, here's my first patch.
https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=YkxJTkZ0dEM4Q1R2Wmc9PQ (temp host, filefront was being slow)

I've fixed the most horrible problems in the store, and retouched one of the scenes in the forest (there are 20! in total :P )

The forest scene I've retouched is the place right in front of the treasure scene. Most visible pixels should be gone now, aswell as any strange alpha.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/olofmoleman/screenshotforest.jpg

I'll update this patch as I continue fixing up other backgrounds.

I am very happy, you fix the art. What about put more details into it? For example forest scene: paint the leaves - make them look like leaves with all details and lighting, or trees - add detailed bark, details on leaves again, or the ground - make small pieces of sand and stone, branches, leaves from the trees, puddles. You can also put more depth into the image by adding very far view background and moon light and shadows. What do you think?

LordTrilobite
09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Well, at the moment I'm only fixing the forest, not actually repainting stuff.
So what I've done exatcly, is blur the huge pixels and turn them in to blobs that blend in to the forest. Generally that looks quite well.
Only occasionally is it needed to really repaint certain stuff because there are just too many big pixels.

Anyhow, adding more details will be an insane amount of work. This is just one scene of the forest, there are about 20 more.
So I'm just fixing the background so it doesn't look sloppy or unfinished.

Also, I've finished another forest scene, it's 105_forest-6

I've found a more permanent download mirror, I've also included the second forest scene fix I just made and further improvements to the store.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6f36e133a4c12a18931c7453395df025b01ae1c0 311c935eb8eada0a1ae8665a

paprik123456
09-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Well, at the moment I'm only fixing the forest, not actually repainting stuff.
So what I've done exatcly, is blur the huge pixels and turn them in to blobs that blend in to the forest. Generally that looks quite well.
Only occasionally is it needed to really repaint certain stuff because there are just too many big pixels.

Anyhow, adding more details will be an insane amount of work. This is just one scene of the forest, there are about 20 more.
So I'm just fixing the background so it doesn't look sloppy or unfinished.

Also, I've finished another forest scene, it's 105_forest-6

I've found a more permanent download mirror, I've also included the second forest scene fix I just made and further improvements to the store.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6f36e133a4c12a18931c7453395df025b01ae1c0 311c935eb8eada0a1ae8665a

It will be more work...maybe huge work... but also more rewarded. Fixing pixels is good, but doesnt change the quality of the paintings. If you look at my Lookout scene and their, there is huge different, and thats what you should do and people wanna see. Improve the paintings, not fix pixels or alphas. Just try one whole image, it doesnt matter how long it takes. For example, I made the scene in 2 days. If it takes a month, it doesnt matter, people still want to see it. You will also learn a lot and improve your skills. Try that, take some easy scene and make it rich.

LordTrilobite
09-02-2009, 12:47 PM
You seem to misunderstand my intentions, I'm making this for people who want a fixed Special Edition, not a changed one. Though I'll probably also make other patches that WILL change stuff, but there's nothing really wrong with the forest appart from the pixels which I'm already in the process of fixing.
If you really want to see a different forest instead of a fixed one, nothing's stopping you from making new backgrounds yourself.
I'm not going to repaint an entire background when it only had a few flaws that are easily fixed.

Also, working on 101_forest-2 now.

LordTrilobite
09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I added a smile to the SCUMMBAR sign, it didn't turn out as pretty as I hoped, I'm not gonna use it ingame, but if anyone wants it, tell me so and I'll upload it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/olofmoleman/SCUMMsmile.jpg

LogicDeLuxe
09-04-2009, 02:35 PM
I added a smile to the SCUMMBAR sign, it didn't turn out as pretty as I hoped, I'm not gonna use it ingame, but if anyone wants it, tell me so and I'll upload it.I think, it's better than nothing. Maybe the wood could be a bit darker and the smiley sprayed on in light blue.

The text actually looks like painted on wood which is a good thing, unlike Stan's sign.

xone
09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi Guys, first scene is done... here is the file:

http://leteckaposta.cz/493174926

What you have to do is unpack zip file, and copy Art folder to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition\

This file also includes new Guybrush hair from "Riot23" (I guess) :)

Let me know how you like it... comments are welcome :thmbup1:

Can anyone upload this mod (file don't exist any more over this link)?
Thanks in advance.

LordTrilobite can I ask you for the SCUMMBAR sign mod?

LordTrilobite
09-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I've been lazy and haven't tried improving the Scummbar sign any further yet, but as you asked, I'll get to it and upload the mod. I'll see if a smilie in lighter paint looks good.

paprik123456
09-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I made new forum thread for this art visualizations.... pls use that one...

its here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=200418

LordTrilobite
09-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Alright, done.

Scummbar Smile Mod

I see you ninja posted before me, I'll post the link there aswel.

xone
09-11-2009, 03:25 PM
@LordTrilobite thank you.. it looks nice :D

kenand
09-19-2009, 05:52 AM
I successfully edited speech.info with translate tool.
But I do not now how can I edit uiText.info
I tried edit it manually but did not work.

Is there any way to compress back folders to monkey.pak?

koun
09-20-2009, 05:43 AM
uiText.info will be added in the next version of the tool. I've already finished the parser. (I will also be looking at hints file).
I didn't have much time for coding in last few weeks, because I move to another city, which ate up quite some time..., but the project is NOT dead, promised.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what language are you translating into? And are you planing to translate the entire game?
Having some regular feedback on new versions of the tool from real translators would be a great help.

kenand
09-20-2009, 08:54 AM
I translate full game to Hungarian language.
If you send me the tool I test it and write you the feedback

ronzbig1
09-27-2009, 05:45 AM
I have question - if I want to change some chars in fonts, I only have to modify .png files? And which font is used in normal dialogues in game?

Krasas
09-27-2009, 08:19 AM
I have question - if I want to change some chars in fonts, I only have to modify .png files? And which font is used in normal dialogues in game?

The font used in normal dialogues should be MinisterT_bo_32, at least for the 1280x1024 resolution (I am not sure and have not checked if this changes with each resolution setting).
The "b' in the name means bold, and the "o" means that each letter has a thin black contour.

And no, you can't just add new chars in the font files by editing the .png files, albeit you can exchange an existing character (e.g the 'i') with another if you draw the new character exactly on top of the old, maintaining the old character's properties (height, width, etc).

But if you intend to add support for a new alphabet, the best way should be to extend the characters supported by the game by modifying the .font files AND the .png files properly. I plan to write a special tool for this, but I have no spare time currently. Hopefully that will change soon.

kenand
09-30-2009, 04:49 AM
Is the any way to compress back monkey1.pak?

LordTrilobite
09-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Not that I know of, but do you really need to? just placing the modded files in the right folders will make it work all the same.

kenand
10-12-2009, 10:16 AM
I translate SE to hungarian version.
Would be great if I could edit fonts, because Hungarian language contains some additional fonts Ő Ű, ű,ő
Is tehere any apps that edit SE fonts?

LordTrilobite
10-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Aren't the fonts in there if you use that extracting tool?

kenand
10-13-2009, 05:44 AM
Extract tool also extract fonts, but. But I do not kow file format, taht I could not edit them. I would like edit fonts adding special caracters. I could edit PNG, but I do not kow edit .font file...

LordTrilobite
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
It probably works the same as for any other font, as far as I know there are specific tools to make and edit fonts. You should google those or search on font sites I think.

TheHutt
10-14-2009, 04:09 AM
You just take some letters you don't need in Hungarian (for instance, Ú or something like that) and draw the missing characters (like Ű) on its place in the PNG file. Then, you just have to write the letter Ú in the text script, whenever you want an Ű to appear.

Text script -> Game
Úzgúr -> Űzgűr

kenand
10-16-2009, 05:27 AM
I edited font png files, but nothing happend. I think windows version use .font files

kenand
10-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Sorry my mistake, editing PNG fonts is working!
In 1024x768 resolution MinisterT_bo_24/or 30 editing is working.

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/091018/scrhun_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

enz°
10-19-2009, 02:42 AM
I've translated all fonts to russian language (for ENPYStudio (http://enpy.net/))

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8349/3rus.th.jpg (http://img194.imageshack.us/i/3rus.jpg/)http://imageban.ru/thumbs/2009.08.30/1d47276fe8af03fce38fe81729adfcec.jpg (http://imageban.ru/show/2009/08/30/1d47276fe8af03fce38fe81729adfcec/jpg)http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5222/ministertbo24.th.png (http://img194.imageshack.us/i/ministertbo24.png/)

MinisterT_bo_24_font_and_png.zip (http://tempfile.ru/file/1123069) (33 Kb)

I used:
1) Adobe Photoshop (CS4) - creating temporary png with all chars (large space between chars)
2) my tool written on Delphi (2010) - recognize (cut) all chars images from temp.png, make compact (no spaces between chars) png with chars by my order (ex: ...Z[\]^`enzo_amdbcf... ), make *.font for this png.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4826/scr1ze.th.jpg (http://img35.imageshack.us/i/scr1ze.jpg/)

Also I've writen a tool for editing the *.info
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4511/scr2n.th.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/scr2n.jpg/)

Now ENPY Studio (http://enpy.net) & PRCA (http://questomania.ru) are works on the russian translation of this game.

Game logo on russian by ENPY Studio (http://enpy.net):
http://imageban.ru/thumbs/2009.08.30/8ab93da3ca678a85c3d54bae803bc6c2.jpg (http://imageban.ru/show/2009/08/30/8ab93da3ca678a85c3d54bae803bc6c2/jpg)

PS: sorry for my english. :)

paprik123456
10-27-2009, 12:29 AM
can we get that tool pls.. ? because other people here, offered their tool too, so you could help all of us.

TheHutt
10-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I've translated all fonts to russian language (for ENPYStudio (http://enpy.net/))

I used:
1) Adobe Photoshop (CS4) - creating temporary png with all chars (large space between chars)
2) my tool written on Delphi (2010) - recognize (cut) all chars images from temp.png, make compact (no spaces between chars) png with chars by my order (ex: ...Z[\]^`enzo_amdbcf... ), make *.font for this png.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4826/scr1ze.th.jpg (http://img35.imageshack.us/i/scr1ze.jpg/)

Nice work, Enz°, however, I'd like to make some comments on your russian characters of the font:

It looks very nice, but you shouldn't try to create an "И" out of an "N" - these are totally different letters and you won't get one out of another just by mirroring. In "N", you have two narrow vertical lines and one bold diagonal, going in the direction Northwest-Southeast (\), as well as incomplete serifs on it. In an "И", you have two bold vertical lines and a narrow diagonal Southwest-Northeast line (/), and complete serifs.
You should try to take an "H", erase the middle bar and draw a new, narrow, diagonal line.

Sorry I don't use any real professional typographist lingo, in fact, I don't know it, though I used to be a font designer myself. And, если что, я по-русски говорю.

About the rest - quite beautiful, and will probably do what it should.

kenand
10-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Use misetram.jar for translation or use hexeditor

We finished hungarian translation.

HOOK ISLAD tile font:

http://www.abstractfonts.com/font/11644

paprik123456
10-29-2009, 04:27 PM
where can I find the misetram.jar ? yes the link is dead, I will send him a message...

koun
11-04-2009, 05:58 PM
i haven't had the time to work on the tool recently. I don't know when I'll upload a new version. I will provide another updated version. I just can't make any promises about when.

kenand
11-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Hungarian full translation (text, user interface, fonts, and graphics translated) released
http://www.magyaritasok.hu/downloads/details/1239/monkey_island_special_edition

LordTrilobite
11-05-2009, 02:42 PM
You should post mods and patches for SoMI:SE iin the other thread for mods and patches instead of in this thread.

sinus
11-10-2009, 02:28 PM
lil question: has anyone analyzed the xWMAs within the game yet? do they have a constant or a variable bitrate? they're quite small files ...

... oh the official soundtrack just takes too long! :(

edit: oh my. i just took the calculator and ...

96 kbps WMA in a HD video game in the year 2009. What have they done?!?!?!?

for notexistingchrissake: release a CD album!!!!

ronzbig1
11-19-2009, 03:10 PM
koun, any progress with uiText.info tool? ;)

enz°
11-20-2009, 12:57 AM
This is my SoMI_DotInfo editor for files uiText.info, speech.info and *.hints.csv (test only):

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4511/scr2n.th.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/scr2n.jpg/)

> Download:
http://ifolder.ru/15074462
http://filebeam.com/7c00476a61d95422cf1bd421061d7ec3
http://depositfiles.com/files/0fttdgnqa