PDA

View Full Version : Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project

Pages : [1] 2

Espiox
07-20-2009, 07:07 AM
The Secret of Monkey Island: CD Talkie Version
(SoMI Classic with Special Edition Voices)

Download Here! (http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/)

This thread was dedicated to inserting the SoMI Special Edition voicework into the original CD version of the game, creating the "Talkie" version that never was. Earlier discussion can be found in the Hack Ideas thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=199224), and a similar Monkey Island 2 Talkie thread is here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=205508).

F.A.Q.:

Q: What is the aim of this project?
A: The aim is to put the voices from the Special Edition into the original PC CD version of the game, like a classic talkie release (like DotT, Fate, etc.). We are not simply making the voices work in the Classsic mode of the SE.

Q: Are you including the narrator's lines?
A: I, and I'm sure many other fans, felt that the narrator in the SE is too goofy and over-the-top. More importantly, it's totally unnecessary. For that reason, I don't intend to include the narration. If there's enough demand, we could possibly put together a version with him included though.

Q: Will this work for people who don't have the Special Edition?
A: No. You will need the Special Edition game in order to access the voice files. For legal reasons we cannot distribute the voice files (or any other game files).

Q: Will this work for people who don't have the DOS CD version?
A: Yes. There is a complete copy of the required game data files and CD audio track inside the SE files, which can be easily extracted.

Q: If I use the CD version game files embedded in the Special Edition, will the SE bugs be present?
A: No. The bugs in the Special Edition Classic Mode come from the new interpreter, not the actual data files.

Q: Since it's for the DOS CD version, will it actually run in DOS?
A: It does, except that CD audio is not supported, which is a limitation of native SCUMM V5. However, the patched game adds support for MT-32 and General MIDI.

Q: Do you have any other features planned (like including SE music, "fixing" the VGA version, etc.)?
A: The current patch fixes quite a lot of bugs, some which were introduced with the enhanced CD, and even some present in every version of the game available. The patch converts both soundtracks ready to be used with ScummVM.

Fealiks
07-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Good work, I'm looking forward to it!

On the second point, make sure the newly created file is of the same format as the others (.wav, .mp3, etc), and make sure the file name is what the program is expecting.

Laserschwert
07-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Would it be possible to offer this thing as a "patch"? That way only people who own the SE will be able to pull this off, and there's no piracy involved (which would occur when sharing the actual speech files). Maybe a batch-file that pulls the speech files out of the SE's PAK, converts them accordingly (and possibly combines split lines into a single file) and re-inserts them into the CD-version of the game using ScummSpeaks.

This would allow to share this project without running into legal trouble.

Espiox
07-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Fealiks: The file is the same format and name as the others, but SS gives me an "Unrecognized sound file type" error.

Laserschwert: Once I've solved the split dialogue issue, I'll look into sharing it. Should be relatively simple though.

plamdi.com
07-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Just please, for the love of all things good, do not add V/O on the narration... it sounds so horrible that I can't imagine anything worse.

jott
07-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Which format are you using? Ogg, FLAC or mp3?

And how did you create the mappings? All manually or did you use the information from speech.info to generate a basic layout?

It would be good to know how many exceptions there are. I'm all for an automated process which would ease redistribution. It's not a real problem to join multiple wav files for example given some previous definition (or even a heuristic that matches multiple lines).

Espiox
07-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Just please, for the love of all things good, do not add V/O on the narration... it sounds so horrible that I can't imagine anything worse.

Don't worry, I have no intention of adding the Narrator to this version.

Which format are you using? Ogg, FLAC or mp3?

And how did you create the mappings? All manually or did you use the information from speech.info to generate a basic layout?

It would be good to know how many exceptions there are. I'm all for an automated process which would ease redistribution. It's not a real problem to join multiple wav files for example given some previous definition (or even a heuristic that matches multiple lines).

I'm using mp3 right now.

I'm using the info from speech.info to find the right audio file and then I'm matching it to the text pulled from the CD version (using scummtr) manually using ScummSpeaks.

jott
07-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I bet you could cover 98% of the associations automatically without any real effort.

Silvor
07-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Seeing as the classic version included in the Special Edition is quite buggy, I for one am really happy that this project covers the dos version of the game.
Good luck with your work Espiox, really hope it goes well.

LogicDeLuxe
07-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Some lines of speech are broken down into two or three audio files (eg. "Yikes! / Don't sneak up on me like that!" or "Ah...yessir... / --yech-- / ...sure does at that."). ScummSpeaks only seems to allow one audio file per line of text. I've tried pasting the audio files together in Audacity but ScummSpeaks won't let me use the file.That's easy to solve. Just insert them like this:
Original scummtr output:Re-elect Governor Marley.\xFF\x03"When there's only one candidate, there's only one choice."
Changed to a talkie version:\xFF\x0A\x01\x00\xFF\x0A\x00\x00\xFF\x0A\x 0a\x00\xFF\x0A\x00\x00Re-elect Governor Marley.\xFF\x03\xFF\x0A\x02\x00\xFF\x0A\x00\x00\xF F\x0A\x0a\x00\xFF\x0A\x00\x00"When there's only one candidate, there's only one choice."Works fine with scummtr. Though, unfortunately scummspeaks doesn't handle any extra voice samples within the line.
If your tool could also just build the monster.so3/sog/sof by itself, we don't need scummspeaks for this.

EDIT:
I for one am really happy that this project covers the dos version of the game.However, it would be ScummVM only. The native DOS interpreter plays CD audio and can't load voice samples at the same time.

Thinking of this, would it be possible to replace CD audio with the MIDI tracks of the floppy version? That would make a true DOS talkie CD possible.

Espiox
07-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Right, I've gotten a combined audio file into the game (I combined the wavs and then converted to mp3, rather than trying to combine the mp3 files).

And it seems to work! Not perfectly timed to the subtitles though.

EDIT: LogicDeLuxe: Whoops, I didn't see your post. I'll try that out too.

Krasas
07-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Seeing as the classic version included in the Special Edition is quite buggy, I for one am really happy that this project covers the dos version of the game.

Wait, no, this is wrong. Espiox mentions in the op that he is working on the CD version of the game, and that one is exactly identical to the classic one used in the SE version.

Edit: By the way, good luck with the project Espiox!

From what I understand you are doing work similar to the Monkey Island Speech Project, so you could avoid much work if you got them to help you with issues they have already resolved.
Also, I think jott is right. It would really help you, if you came up with a script or programm to do most of the work automatically for you, because the manual way sounds a little too time consuming.

Silvor
07-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Wait, no, this is wrong. Espiox mentions in the op that he is working on the CD version of the game, and that one is exactly identical to the classic one used in the SE version.

There's some inventory graphics that's switched up in the Sepcial edition (both classic and enhanced) and also the music on the classic version is bugged as well, like the voodoo lady music keeps on playing after you exit the voodoo house.
Belive me I've experienced those things first hand.
It also seems that the classic version in the Special edition runs more choppy than the regular dos version ever did.

If there was any way this could run without scummvm that would just be amazing. But if scummvm is the only way to go so be it.
I always prefer to use the original dos versions of the games myself.

LogicDeLuxe
07-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Espiox mentions in the op that he is working on the CD version of the game, and that one is exactly identical to the classic one used in the SE version.True for the game data. Not true for the interpreter, though. That one is indeed known to be buggy.

jott
07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Here is a little tool that looks up strings from the speech.info and a mi1.txt (scummtr.exe -w -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -H) in the same dir and outputs a "match.bat" with "ren sample.mp3 linennumber_sample.mp3". It splits up multiple lines (\0xff\0x03).

It's a *very* dirty hack but should do the job.

http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip

This can be used as a starting point for generating a monster.sou - even with multiple lines like LogicDeLuxe proposes.

Espiox
07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
LogicDeLuxe: I tried your method (inserting the extra speech) but with the Cobb dialogue I tried, the two sections end up overlapping, because the subtitles move on before Cobb is done with the first bit.

With the file combining method, the speech doesn't overlap, but the subtitles still move on before he gets there.

LogicDeLuxe
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
If there was any way this could run without scummvm that would just be amazing.You could try the interpreter version from the Fate of Atlantis demo. Rename it to monkey.exe. It is compatible to the Monkey Island resources. Unfortunately, there is an inconvenient script in Monkey Island checking for the CD, which means, you can't replace the original tracks with the special edition's, since they differ in their playing times.
Another problem might be the savegame menu. Not all versions of the interpreter have the ability to select a path on a different drive, which is required for SCUMM V5 CD versions. I didn't check.

Silvor
07-20-2009, 11:42 AM
You could try the interpreter version from the Fate of Atlantis demo. Rename it to monkey.exe. It is compatible to the Monkey Island resources. Unfortunately, there is an inconvenient script in Monkey Island checking for the CD, which means, you can't replace the original tracks with the special edition's, since they differ in their playing times.
Another problem might be the savegame menu. Not all versions of the interpreter have the ability to select a path on a different drive, which is required for SCUMM V5 CD versions. I didn't check.

I'll give that a shot if this project gets finished and released, thanks.

Espiox
07-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Here is a little tool that looks up strings from the speech.info and a mi1.txt (scummtr.exe -w -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -H) in the same dir and outputs a "match.bat" with "ren sample.mp3 linennumber_sample.mp3". It splits up multiple lines (\0xff\0x03).

This can be used as a starting point for generating a monster.sou - even with multiple lines like LogicDeLuxe proposes.

I've got my mi1.txt and speech.info in the same folder, but that tool doesn't seem to work for me (or I'm being a dumbass again). I screen-capped the windows here (http://www.espiox.net/uploads/mkspeech.jpg).

jott
07-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Try again with an updated version: http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip
In the end there need to be some more tweaking done like replacing " => ' and ^ => ... (or vice versa) and join multiple lines on an \xFF\xDD\x64\x00.
Ultimately it should directly generate the monster.sou I guess (which shouldn't be that hard to do).

P.S.: As mentioned this is more of a hack than a useful utility. It's just to show how easy you can generate a mapping from the speech.info to the original lines.

Espiox
07-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Still getting the same problem here.

jott
07-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Ooops, sorry. I uploaded the wrong file. Try again please.

Espiox
07-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Okay, it seems to have worked this time.

EDIT: It looks like this project requires somebody with a little more coding know-how than me at it's wheel. I couldn't even code a "Hello World" app, yet this project needs a tool that can merge audio files, and generate the MONSTER.SOU file. I'm happy to help out and supply info from what I've done so far though, if anybody else wants to finish this.

LogicDeLuxe
07-20-2009, 04:56 PM
LogicDeLuxe: I tried your method (inserting the extra speech) but with the Cobb dialogue I tried, the two sections end up overlapping, because the subtitles move on before Cobb is done with the first bit.I don't know anything about the lip sync entries. I don't think scummspeaks generates any meaningful data for them. Maybe tweaking those could solve this issue.

Combining samples is an option with slightly off subtitle sync, right. Another side effect would be the need for some duplicated. There are some multi-sample-lines which have only some of the samples in common with other lines. Those needs to be duplicated with this method. Those aren't too many lines, though.

The best thing would be a method which automatically could decompile the complete game, patch the scripts to divide those multi-sample-lines in individual speak events, and recompile the entire game.

Too bad, there is no such convenient tool like Deutex for Doom, which not only extracts all resources in individual files (like scummtr does), but also converts them to usable formats and back so that a wide base of existing software can be used to modify them.

Espiox
07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
The Speech Project hacks that cocomonk22 sent me separated the alternate speech lines (see the first bullet in the o.p.). I guess it's possible that a similar method could be used to separate the dialogue lines?

Silvor
07-20-2009, 05:33 PM
So, which version of Monkey Island is this project for now?
Is it for the regular dos cd version of Monkey Island, or is it just for the bugged classic version included in the special edition?

Espiox
07-20-2009, 05:41 PM
So, which version of Monkey Island is this project for now?
Is it for the regular dos cd version of Monkey Island, or is it just for the bugged classic version included in the special edition?

The bugs in the SE are in the interpreter, not in the game files (which are otherwise identical to the CD version, AFAIK).

Besides, I've been using my original CD version. The intention is to put the voices into the original game, rather than just enabling the voices in the classic mode of the SE.

LogicDeLuxe
07-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Reading your opening post, one might get the impression, that you actually need both, the SE and the DOS CD, which surely is not the case. Thus, you might add this to the FAQ:
A: Yes. There is a complete copy of the required game data files and CD audio track inside the SE files, which can be easily extracted.

and maybe this:
Q: Since it's for the DOS CD version, will it actually run in DOS.
A: No. The DOS version requires CD audio tracks and the game data on the same CD, but you can't access CD audio and speech samples at the same time.

jott
07-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Maybe you could write how you managed to add multiple variations.

Other than that, I think the best way would be to proceed in a fully automated way and eventually add some configuration files for fine-tuning and fixing bugs.

For most parts this does not sound complicated at all, as most information and code is available already.
It just boils down to
1) Extract samples from Speech.xwb and convert them to mp3 (or better ogg because of mp3 license issues). => Already possible with unxwb + lame/oggenc
2) Extract strings from MONKEY1.00x using scummtr => Just invoke the tool
3) Process scummtr output and match it to the sample names in speech.info => Nearly done, needs minor tweaks
4) Merge samples in monster.so? and output processed strings => Format is quite trivial so not a big task
5) Write strings back to MONKEY1.00x with scummtr => Just invoke the tool

cocomonk22
07-20-2009, 07:26 PM
For the multiple variations, I had to rewrite the game code in those sections so that it would output a full line based on the combination of multiple random number generators. This way the output appears to the user the same as the normal version of MI, but when you use scummtr to output the text, you will see all the new lines added to the end of the file. Some line orders were also changed.

Tools I used were a text editor, a hex editor, scummtr, descumm, Scummbler, ScummPacker, ScummSpeaks, and SCUMM Image Encoder. I also had some help from jestar jokin who wrote those last 4 tools.

SyntheticGerbil
07-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I fully support this!

Any chance you can put the Spiffy the Dog portrait back in the game too or is the only work going to be done in Scummspeaks?

Also is the SE music coming over as well? or maybe a way we can choose?

cocomonk22
07-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I included my Spiffy addition with the patches I sent to Espiox. That's what SCUMM Image Encoder was for. I also had to create a new room for the Spiffy closeup scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6K8Ckzg9bI

Espiox
07-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Reading your opening post, one might get the impression, that you actually need both, the SE and the DOS CD, which surely is not the case. Thus, you might add this to the FAQ:

and maybe this:
Q: Since it's for the DOS CD version, will it actually run in DOS.
A: No. The DOS version requires CD audio tracks and the game data on the same CD, but you can't access CD audio and speech samples at the same time.

Thanks, I've added those to the o.p. along with a Q about the bugs in the new SE interpreter.

Also is the SE music coming over as well? or maybe a way we can choose?

The music is a relatively simple task compared to the speech, near as I can tell. It's probably just a case of renaming the SE music tracks to match the classic tracklist. When the speech is done, I'll put the instructions for changing the music up there with it for those who want them.

Espiox
07-21-2009, 08:13 AM
I've started trying to put together a batch file to automate the installation. So far it extracts the wav files from Speech.xwb. Now I'm working on adding the choice to convert to mp3 or ogg.

Laserschwert
07-21-2009, 08:32 AM
I think the ultimate batch-file would contain a few questions first, including music replacement yes/no, narrator inclusion yes/no, Spiffy inclusion yes/no and so forth (I don't know if that last one is happening though).

And even better than having it just as a batch file would be a nice GUI for it... although of course I've got no idea how to do that.

Espiox
07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
If somebody is able to create a GUI tool that would be fantastic. It's way outside my abilities though (I'm stumbling through making this batch file, to be honest).

I'm all for Spiffy being an optional addition, if people want that in there.

Rapp Scallion
07-21-2009, 09:08 AM
A: The DOS version requires CD audio tracks and the game data on the same CD (...).

Unfortunately, there is an inconvenient script in Monkey Island checking for the CD, which means, you can't replace the original tracks with the special edition's, since they differ in their playing times.

I don't think this is correct? I remember when I was little I played SMI with the game files on the hard drive, using a Rayman CD for audio :P

jott
07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
I just added a couple of lines of code to my mkspeech (http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip) tool.

It is now able to generate a "monster.so3" directly.
It expects the following files in the same directory:
1) All MISE samples converted to mp3 named as unxwb-mi (http://helicoid.de/scumm/unxwb-mi.zip) extracts them from Speech.xwb.
2) A file mi1.txt created from the original Monkey Island with "scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -H"
3) The speech.info
4) Optionally a mapping.txt that reassigns the mappings generated by the match heuristic.

Just run the tool and it should generate
1) monster.so3
2) mi1new.txt
3) missing.txt => Mappings that have not been found or are ambiguous.

Use "scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -if mi1new.txt -H" to put the strings back into the data files.

There are of course a couple of issues..
Biggest problem here also seems the multi line texts.
Using LogicDeLuxe proposal does not seem to work. No matter if the speech signature is placed before or after the \xFF\x03... The line is spoken but the text is not displayed.

Any help would be useful regarding this issue....

So, what to do next? When you want to use my tool, just fill in the mapping.txt as there are a couple of lines that do not match, improve the tool itself or bring up other ideas on how to make it better.

Espiox
07-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Awesome! I'm trying it out now.

By the way, I sent you a PM jott. Just a small question to help me with my batch file.

EDIT: I tried the new mkspeech tool (after doing a fresh dump/conversion of all the voices and a new mi1.txt) and it gives me the following error: "Could not find SLP_71_gh-room_9_1.mp3" and closes.

LogicDeLuxe
07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Now I'm working on adding the choice to convert to mp3 or ogg.Don't forget FLAC support.including music replacement yes/noRemember, you don't need the CD for this, but you may use it. Ripping them from your CD would give better quality than the compressed versions of the SE, so 3 options would be optimal.
- Convert the classic versions music.
- Convert the SE's music.
- Don't convert any music.

And who doesn't want Spiffy in there anyways? I think, creating a second game data patch, just to left Spiffy out, isn't worth the effort.

And is there a tool which can extract single files from the pak file? Extracting the entire thing, just to get 2 files is a bit overkill. An option for the pak extractor to select the file(s) you want would be useful here.I don't think this is correct? I remember when I was little I played SMI with the game files on the hard drive, using a Rayman CD for audio :PI'm aware, there is a no-CD crack somewhere, but I don't think, it would be a good idea to have the user require that. Though, since we're patching the game data files already, we could fix it in the script, I think.No matter if the speech signature is placed before or after the \xFF\x03... The line is spoken but the text is not displayed.And if your tool would merge the voice files? Not perfect, I know, but at least somewhat we can call usable. It's basically what FOA does as well. I checked it, it also has text lines with \xFF\x03 in it which only use one voice sample.
For merging, it would be best to extract them as raw pcm and have them converted to mp3/ogg/flac after they are joint as need.
The alternative would be rewriting all the scripts which use such lines. A lot more work, I guess. Were there script changes like this in the speech project? I mean other than those with variables in it?

jott
07-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I tried the new mkspeech tool (after doing a fresh dump/conversion of all the voices and a new mi1.txt) and it gives me the following error: "Could not find SLP_71_gh-room_9_1.mp3" and closes.

This actually should not be a problem. The file is just referred but missing and hence ignored.
You should have a monster.so3 and mi1new.txt nevertheless.

Laserschwert
07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Remember, you don't need the CD for this, but you may use it. Ripping them from your CD would give better quality than the compressed versions of the SE, so 3 options would be optimal.
- Convert the classic versions music.
- Convert the SE's music.
- Don't convert any music.
Well, since this patch is for the CD-Version, I think there's no need to include an option for the classic music, since that one is already included in the (unpatched) game. The only option has to be, if the classic music should be replaced by the SE-version or not.

Edit:
Sorry, I've misread your post. You mean these three options:

- just add voice to an original CD-version of the game
- use the classic version (in the SE data-files) with the classic music and add voices to that
- use the classic version (in the SE data-files) with the SE music and add voices to that

Okay, that makes sense.

MusiclyInspired
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Would this project work with the original DOS version and work with a 486 computer? Or is it using ScummVM? Or both?

Laserschwert
07-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Would this project work with the original DOS version and work with a 486 computer? Or is it using ScummVM? Or both?
Read the FAQ!!! :mad:

:D ;)

No this version needs ScummVM, since the DOS-running-version doesn't allow speech and CD-music at the same time.

Espiox
07-21-2009, 01:23 PM
This actually should not be a problem. The file is just referred but missing and hence ignored.
You should have a monster.so3 and mi1new.txt nevertheless.

Ah, yes. I am an idiot.

Wow, the resulting file makes the opening chat with the lookout very bizarre.

jott
07-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Woot! I made a stupid mistake. The bug is fixed now and multi line support is working!

...I probably need to introduce versioning soon....

It works amazingly good... :D of course still some things to polish and iron out.. but that should definitely be the way to go.

EDIT: There are some patterns that are not matched yet, like things in quotes. There should be no need to add that to the mapping.txt, as this can be easily added in the lookup function.

jott
07-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Wow, the resulting file makes the opening chat with the lookout very bizarre.

Hehe, indeed. But it should be easy to fix when adding the correct lines to mapping.txt...

MusiclyInspired
07-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Read the FAQ!!! :mad:

:D ;)

No this version needs ScummVM, since the DOS-running-version doesn't allow speech and CD-music at the same time.

Then I don't understand why needing the CD is a priority since ScummVM actually works better without using the CD....

Giant Graffiti
07-21-2009, 01:54 PM
^^^

You don't use the CD, just the CD version.

Espiox
07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
I need to fix a couple of small problems, but I think I've got a good batch file. It automates everything we've done so far (dumps the wav files, encodes to mp3 or ogg, creates mi1.txt, runs mkspeech and puts the mi1new.txt back into the game). It checks to make sure the required files are there too.

jott
07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
For now mkspeech only supports mp3, but it is VERY easy to add other formats...

I think the remaining major task is to choose the correct line when the result is ambiguous.
See the missing.txt that is created for reference on what is not unique.

jott
07-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Another little update at the same URL. Now quotes are translated as well as \xFE\x08 is ignored.

Coverage is now up to 3946 lines!

There are not many real strings left now.

I haven't used cocomonk22 modified version which actually should increase the coverage even more as those lines with variables are separated.
Is it available somewhere? Or are there some detailed instructions which scripts to modify etc.? (Especially with redistribution in mind...)

Espiox
07-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I haven't used cocomonk22 modified version which actually should increase the coverage even more as those lines with variables are separated.
Is it available somewhere? Or are there some detailed instructions which scripts to modify etc.? (Especially with redistribution in mind...)

Check your PMs.

LogicDeLuxe
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Is it available somewhere? Or are there some detailed instructions which scripts to modify etc.? (Especially with redistribution in mind...)Well. There is the speech project talkie patch. I guess, you can use that, if you remove all speech references from it before using the tools here.

Espiox
07-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Well. There is the speech project talkie patch. I guess, you can use that, if you remove all speech references from it before using the tools here.

That's exactly what cocomonk22 sent me; a hack-only version of the MISP patcher.

jott
07-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Another update :D....

Now it's up to 4046 matches! Now there is really not much left!

Time to add entries to the mapping.txt!

jott
07-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Without variables in the string table (with cocomonk22 et al. changes) it's now 4436 of 4573 available samples assigned.

I would call this a pretty neat coverage :)

The only real problem now are the false positive matches that are listed in the missing.txt....

Espiox
07-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm missing speech on any line with a TM symbol. This is looking (sounding?) better and better though!

jott
07-21-2009, 03:25 PM
TM is working now, that makes it 4511 of 4573.

jott
07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
As said it would be good if there would be some volunteers that add the correct lines in mapping.txt. This is something *I* really don't want to do .....

If there is more than one volunteer, the work should be split up. Like line 1-2200 for person one and 2200-end for person two.

EDIT: You may want to edit the first posting, to reflect the current state of affairs.

Laserschwert
07-21-2009, 05:16 PM
As said it would be good if there would be some volunteers that add the correct lines in mapping.txt. This is something *I* really don't want to do .....
I don't really understand what's to do here...

I've ran mkspeech.exe with this result:

Read 4573 entries.
Could not open mapping.txt
Could not find SLP_71_gh-room_9_1.mp3
Wrote 4121 samples, 1194 missing.

What I got is an mi1new.txt, a missing.txt and the monster.so3

What now?

jott
07-21-2009, 05:41 PM
What I got is an mi1new.txt, a missing.txt and the monster.so3

What now?

Next step is to integrate the mi1new.txt into the original game files (make sure you have a backup...):
scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -if mi1new.txt -H

When putting the monster.so3 in the MI1 game folder and you run it via ScummVM you should hear voices (just to make sure everything works for you).

You will notice right from the beginning that there are some errors as "Hi!" as a string occurs multiple of times and thus there is no way(*) to automatically detect which "Hi!" is used.

When you look at the "missing.txt" you should see something like:

Multiple hits for line "Hi!": HRM_80_fort_25_1.mp3 - Add 584,0=975 to mapping.txt
Multiple hits for line "Hi!": GUY_38_lookout_28_1.mp3 - Add 584,0=2306 to mapping.txt
Multiple hits for line "Hi!": HRM_20_main-beach_48_1.mp3 - Add 584,0=2604 to mapping.txt
Multiple hits for line "Hi!": GUY_20_main-beach_58_1.mp3 - Add 584,0=4134 to mapping.txt

Probably four times.
So it's about finding out, which "Hi!" is the correct in all the four places.

When adding "584,0=4134" to mapping.txt, the next call of "mkspeech" should pick the last sample for that particular line (not sure if this is the right association - this is just an example).

Finally you need to call scummtr again, to integrate the new text file (and make sure to use the new moster.so3 too).

P.S.:
I think a little problem occurs depending on the version we use as the patches from cocomonk22 change the order of strings a bit.
I haven't put any thought on how to make it a bit more robust in that regard....
But if the version is defined properly for the file, it will not be hard to convert it later...

(*) There might be a way, but it would probably involve modifying (or rebuilding) scummtr to get the room ids. Unfortunately I have not found the source code for scummtr so this does not seem to be an option..... well having scummtr source would also allow to build a single application that performs ALL steps :-(

purple_tentacle_
07-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Would it be possible to offer this thing as a "patch"? That way only people who own the SE will be able to pull this off, and there's no piracy involved (which would occur when sharing the actual speech files). Maybe a batch-file that pulls the speech files out of the SE's PAK, converts them accordingly (and possibly combines split lines into a single file) and re-inserts them into the CD-version of the game using ScummSpeaks.

This would allow to share this project without running into legal trouble.

that would be great if you could do that. It would help people (Especialy Me) to not have to buy a new one.

Espiox
07-21-2009, 05:58 PM
that would be great if you could do that. It would help people (Especialy Me) to not have to buy a new one.

Yes, we're going to offer this as a patch... but what do you mean "not have to buy a new one"?

jott
07-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Well actually that's the aim. For now the only thing needed is MISE, as it contains the original enhanced CD version.

With my both tools unxwb-mi and mkspeech (maybe I'll integrate the relevant unxwb part in mkspeech at a later point), it's already possible to get a basic speech version of the classic enhanced MI version. The mapping file also is unproblematic to redistribute.

And finally a batch file that is being worked on by Espiox will make it hopefully relatively easy to generate your own version without many manual steps.

I think the only problem are the patches by cocomonk22, where I am not sure on what their legal status is and if they can be redistributed freely.

cocomonk22
07-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Why can't the patches I made be redistributed freely?

Laserschwert
07-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I get a problem when I disable the subtitles: Those multi-part lines don't work anymore... only the first part is played.

Also some lines overlap (for example when talking to the one-eyed pirate in the Scumm Bar).

Edit:
And sorry, I still don't get how to put together a "mapping.txt". This is how the first few lines of my missing.txt look like:

Missing "jungle", add 1,0=sampleno
Missing "rowboat and oars", add 2,0=sampleno
Missing "jungle", add 3,0=sampleno
Missing "jungle", add 4,0=sampleno
Missing "jungle", add 5,0=sampleno
Multiple hits for line "It's a gross old bottle.": GUY_1_beach_1_1.mp3 - Add 6,0=228 to mapping.txt
Multiple hits for line "It's a gross old bottle.": GUY_1_beach_1_1.mp3 - Add 6,0=230 to mapping.txt
Multiple hits for line "I don't want it.": GUY_1_beach_1_2.mp3 - Add 6,1=229 to mapping.txt
Multiple hits for line "I don't want it.": GUY_1_beach_1_2.mp3 - Add 6,1=231 to mapping.txt
Multiple hits for line "I don't want it.": GUY_30_store_38_2.mp3 - Add 6,1=3923 to mapping.txt
Multiple hits for line "I don't want it.": GUY_30_store_58_1.mp3 - Add 6,1=3953 to mapping.txt
Multiple hits for line "I don't want it.": GUY_30_store_62_1.mp3 - Add 6,1=3964 to mapping.txt
Missing "bottle", add 7,0=sampleno
Missing "note", add 8,0=sampleno
Missing "Herman Toothrot", add 9,0=sampleno
Missing "beach", add 13,0=sampleno
Missing "beach", add 14,0=sampleno
Missing "crack", add 15,0=sampleno

So, the first 5 entries are probably lines, that aren't spoken but only text. So I don't add them to the mapping.txt, because they don't need to be associated with any audio-files, right?

The 6th entry is looking for the correct "It's a gross old bottle"-audio, but since those are obviously linked to the same audio-file, I just pick on of them and add 6,0=228 to the mapping.txt. Entry 6,1 (I guess ",1" is the response when trying to "pick it up") is looking for the correct "I don't want it", which should be a little easier, since I know it's said by Guybrush on the beach. So I'll add 6,1=229 to the mapping.txt, since that's the correct Guybrush line.

But what if I don't know where that line occurs? How am I supposed to know, which sample is the correct one? (Okay, sometimes the surrounding lines give clues about the place, as do the name of the audio-files)

And, do I only have to add stuff to the mappings.txt that's listed as "multiple hits" in the missing.txt?

jott
07-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Why can't the patches I made be redistributed freely?

Oh I did not say that. I just wondered if there is an "official" place for them as it seems to be a bit... hidden... please if there are no objections, we should put all relevant links in the first posting.

I get a problem when I disable the subtitles: Those multi-part lines don't work anymore... only the first part is played.

Hmm that's bad... I am not sure if there is a way to fix it.
I guess we could either go back to merging the samples (which would bring the text and speech out of sync....), look if ScummVM would accept a patch that fixes this behavior or modify the game code so that only single lines are used.... (or find out if the tag field might be useful here too)

Also some lines overlap (for example when talking to the one-eyed pirate in the Scumm Bar).

Yes, I noticed that too. Not sure what to do here either. Maybe the "tags" field can be used to prevent this?!

So, the first 5 entries are probably lines, that aren't spoken but only text. So I don't add them to the mapping.txt, because they don't need to be associated with any audio-files, right?

Right. Those can be ignored.

But what if I don't know where that line occurs? How am I supposed to know, which sample is the correct one? (Okay, sometimes the surrounding lines give clues about the place, as do the name of the audio-files)

First: The second number ".,X=..." is used to determine the section when there are multiple lines in one row. Like "Hi!" "My name is Guybrush Threepwood!"

And yes, the main task is to find out where a line is said and which is the correct one. For some the context might give a hint, for other there is probably no other way but playing the game to the point where it is said.

And, do I only have to add stuff to the mappings.txt that's listed as "multiple hits" in the missing.txt?

In theory, yes. There might be fields with a missing sample where the proper sample exists and has to be determined.... but I think it should not happen that often.

I would say the priority should be to find the right matches for the ambiguous lines, as those are also the ones which will sound *wrong*. When there is no sample played it's not as strange as when the wrong one is played ....

Laserschwert
07-21-2009, 07:29 PM
I think there's more problems... even with the subtitles on, the timing in some scenes is completely off, for example with the Fettucini Brothers.

jott
07-21-2009, 07:41 PM
I think there's more problems... even with the subtitles on, the timing in some scenes is completely off, for example with the Fettucini Brothers.

Hmm strange, this particular scene seems to work fine here.
I'm using the latest SVN build of ScummVM btw....

Anyway, if somebody has some inside knowledge of the exact tag definition that (s)he is willing to share, we could probably fix some of the problems....

cocomonk22
07-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Laserschwert, the problem's probably on your end. Are you using my patched version, latest ScummVM build, etc?

Laserschwert
07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm using the latest SVN as well, and the Fettucini's keep cutting each other's lines off. (or overlap)

But what patched version are you talking about? Obviously I've missed that...

cocomonk22
07-21-2009, 08:02 PM
This patch:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yymeyajyzh1

Laserschwert
07-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks, the Fettucini-part works now. But there's still the problem of multi-part lines not working with the subtitles turned off, and there are still overlaps (for example when talking to the lookout).

jestar_jokin
07-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Hmm strange, this particular scene seems to work fine here.
I'm using the latest SVN build of ScummVM btw....

Anyway, if somebody has some inside knowledge of the exact tag definition that (s)he is willing to share, we could probably fix some of the problems....

Probably not what you're asking, but I know how lip-synch tags are stored in SCUMM V5.

Warning! Techno-babble ahead

Tags are 16-bit words stored in big-endian format.

Text:
Ignoring the \xFF\x0A bits, your first four values are four bytes for the speech offset (little-endian), and the last four values are four bytes (little-endian) representing the number of lip-synch tags as modified by this formula:

(numtags << 1) + 8

e.g. To play a sample at offset 0x1234 with 2 lip-synch tags:

\xFF\x0A\x34\x12\xFF\x0A\x00\x00\xFF\x0A\x0C\x00\x FF\x0A\x00\x00

Compressed MONSTER.SOU:
The number of tags are stored for each sound, as part of the table at the start of the file. The tags themselves are written before the MP3/OGG/FLAC data (e.g. for a sound at 0x1234 with two tags, 0x1234 to 0x1238 stores the tags, and 0x1238 onwards stores the sound data).

Tag format:
Each tag is just a time position in the sound file being played (I'm not sure what measurement the position is in, maybe milliseconds, maybe not). Whenever the next tag's position is encountered, the talking animation is toggled on or off.

e.g. if there are three tags, with values 120, 240, 640, the animation timeline will play like this:
0-120: talking
120-240: not talking
240-640: talking
640-end: not talking

I think one problem is that the old SCUMM games did not support multiple speech sounds per line. Check Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and I'm sure you'll find that all multi-line speech just uses the one sound file, and the subtitles are frequently out of synch with the sound.

Sorry I'm late to the party!

LogicDeLuxe
07-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Check Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and I'm sure you'll find that all multi-line speech just uses the one sound file, and the subtitles are frequently out of synch with the sound.As I did checked above. Thus, we should implement it the same way. If we can't split the lines in individual talking events, we have to join the samples.

Krasas
07-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Do all subtitle lines have a constant display duration?

Or is there a way to modify this duration per line, possibly through a modified version of scummtr, so that it would match the length of the corresponding speech sound?

jestar_jokin
07-22-2009, 05:46 AM
Do all subtitle lines have a constant display duration?

I believe the subtitle display duration is calculated based on the length of the subtitle, modified by the global subtitle speed.

jott
07-22-2009, 06:20 AM
(numtags << 1) + 8

Ah! That's exactly what I was missing. Thanks.

Whenever the next tag's position is encountered, the talking animation is toggled on or off.

Ok, this will not help with multiple lines. I wonder if it helps with cut off samples when having the last tag >= length of the sample...

I think one problem is that the old SCUMM games did not support multiple speech sounds per line. Check Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and I'm sure you'll find that all multi-line speech just uses the one sound file, and the subtitles are frequently out of synch with the sound.

While that is true, I think we can expect people to use ScummVM when they want a proper Talkie version. And I was somehow hoping we could find a trick this way...

As said, multiple lines are in fact working fine with ScummVM only that they are messed up when the subtitles are turned off.

Well that said, the tags are definitely no solution for this problem, as they are just for lip-animation timing nothing more.

So this finally leaves us this four options:
1) Try to patch ScummVM and bring the patch upstream.
2) Modify the scripts so no more multi-lines are used.
3) Merge audio files and have out of sync subtitles.
4) Force the user to always have subtitles enabled.

Or am I missing something?

IMHO 1) or 2) are the better solutions as they should not have any negative side-effects.

Sorry I'm late to the party!
Hey, the party just started :)

LogicDeLuxe
07-22-2009, 06:52 AM
I believe the subtitle display duration is calculated based on the length of the subtitle, modified by the global subtitle speed.There are occasions in which they are cut short, though. For instance, the introduction to the Fettucini brothers is supposed to be fast talk, Stans lines about personal problems too. And the pirate leaders "grog grog grog" and "ha ha ha" are also short for the flashing effect. There are probably more instances.As said, multiple lines are in fact working fine with ScummVM only that they are messed up when the subtitles are turned off.Couldn't we just submit a patch for ScummVM? Eventhough, it is no intended original LEC feature, it won't hurt to have this supported, I'd say.
As a side effect, this would also improve subtitle sync with FOA etc., since those have indeed the same issue.

LogicDeLuxe
07-22-2009, 09:19 AM
The only real problem now are the false positive matches that are listed in the missing.txt....I think, most of them can be avoided by checking the room number. Passing the -h parameter to scummtr adds a leading info from where the line comes, starting with the room number. Conveniently, most samples are also named with the room number.
Most ambiguous matches would be avoided that way. Only a few remain in cases where the same line is used in the same room, like the cannibals' "nothing.". And I guess, all the insults, too.

jott
07-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Couldn't we just submit a patch for ScummVM? Eventhough, it is no intended original LEC feature, it won't hurt to have this supported, I'd say.
As a side effect, this would also improve subtitle sync with FOA etc., since those have indeed the same issue.

Well we could, but it will not improve FOA with the current approach as FOA only uses one sample per line. (Well a mod could probably be made .. but I wonder if there would be any people willing to do so....).

Fell free to make a patch though :-)

I think, most of them can be avoided by checking the room number. Passing the -h parameter to scummtr adds a leading info from where the line comes, starting with the room number. Conveniently, most samples are also named with the room number.

Oh! I must have overlooked the -h option. Well yes, this could indeed improve it a lot.

jott
07-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Ok, with the hint of LogicDeLuxe it works MUCH better now.
EDIT: It also matches the interaction/script number now. So even less collisions.

The input file needs to be generated with:
scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H

For the output it remains the same (the meta-info is not copied):

As usual the updated version at the same place:

P.S.:
Stupid question: How to disable the subtitles for MI1 in ScummVM? I have set it to "Speak only" but the subtitles still pop up...

P.P.S.:
Well the room number for Spiffy is wrong ..... hardcoded the change.
I also filter all "OBNA" lines now....

Laserschwert
07-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Stupid question: How to disable the subtitles for MI1 in ScummVM? I have set it to "Speak only" but the subtitles still pop up...
You set it in the launcher, right? Setting it there doesn't do anything for me either. But when selecting it in the game it works.

Espiox
07-22-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm aiming to get a working version of my installer up tonight to make it easier for people to join in and test the speech.

EDIT: I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to the run the encoder. I'll get this up ASAP, but it won't be tonight.

LogicDeLuxe
07-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Well we could, but it will not improve FOA with the current approach as FOA only uses one sample per line.Well, I wrote that with single samples for multi-lines in mind. Thus what FOA uses as well. Depending on the subtitle speed used, it can indeed go quite a lot out of sync at those lines, too.
With joint samples, a short silence should be added at the joint. About 300 ms sounds fine to me in most situations. The voodoo lady would probably need a bit more when she is guessing Guybrush' name.Well the room number for Spiffy is wrong ..... hardcoded the change.I guess, you could first find all matches according to room numbers, and after that, ignoring the room numbers for the remaining lines. Hopefully, those aren't that many.

Also, the tweak file should be able to exclude samples. As a curiosity, there are some lines recorded, which actually are never spoken. For instance, you can talk to your crew and have the option "Keelhaul: to haul under the keel of a ship as punishment or torture.", which has a sample, but Guybrush actually refuses to say this. Also the snoring sample is huge, and unnecessary, as there is already a much smaller sample for this in the game data file. (Unless, we want to patch that out in turn, that is)

And while we have patched scripts already, is there any chance we could fix some bugs which were introduced to the enhaced CD, but not present in the VGA floppies? Like:
- Smoke at Smirk's close up. Look's like the same graphic as the steam from the voodoo cauldron, and the smoke in the catacombs.
- LeChuck's shaking the grog machine animation.
- Consistent text color of the priest.
- White background at the sleeping dogs message. (This one was already fixed in the German patch: http://la-patches.gandimann.de/)
- Brown floor in the kitchen door in the Scumm bar (Also this one was already fixed in the German patch: http://la-patches.gandimann.de/)
- Navigator's directions. He rarely seems to look to the front or back, even when those are the only ways to go.
- Picture breaking in the mansion uses EGA graphic for some reason.
- And if we ask Dominic Amato politely, maybe the stump joke and the Charles Atlas joke too.

I would take a look into those issues, but I don't know how to use descumm and some script compiler for this. Are there any guides for this?

Laserschwert
07-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Is it only me, or are there some audio-files extracted that are empty? Edit: Okay, it MIGHT be just a Winamp-issue with short samples.

jott
07-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Well, I wrote that with single samples for multi-lines in mind.

Well still I assume fixing FOA sync is not trivial (otherwise it would probably be done already). I also think that the current approach is better, as the lines are always in sync this way. And I bet it won't be that hard to fix the problem when subtitles are disabled.

Also, the tweak file should be able to exclude samples.
Yeah, I'll probably add something later. "x,y=-1" should do the job I guess..

As a curiosity, there are some lines recorded, which actually are never spoken.
I really like the Guybrush_UnknownFilename_07 sample *g*

Also the snoring sample is huge, and unnecessary, as there is already a much smaller sample for this in the game data file. (Unless, we want to patch that out in turn, that is)
Is it actually included at the moment? Only samples that have a matching text line are copied to the monster.soX anyway...

I would take a look into those issues, but I don't know how to use descumm and some script compiler for this. Are there any guides for this?
Feel free to do so! I never played around with descumm so I can't help you there.

jott
07-22-2009, 03:14 PM
I guess, you could first find all matches according to room numbers, and after that, ignoring the room numbers for the remaining lines. Hopefully, those aren't that many?

Well now it only matches if the room number is correct. I think there are really few rooms that do not match, so it's probably not worth the effort to add extra logic there.

The remaining lines are mostly the sword fight scenes.

LogicDeLuxe
07-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Is it actually included at the moment? Only samples that have a matching text line are copied to the monster.soX anyway...I didn't check yet. The one at the brig has the snoring subtitled, so I assumed it is.

After some testing, I see that including the remaining sounds which didn't match a room would not only useful for the new Spiffy room (which seems to work, btw.), but also those which had variables in it. Those are currently silent.

Espiox
07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm trying to use the new mkspeech tool, but when I put the mi1new.txt file back into the game, scummtr says: ERROR: NULL char in line 0. What am I doing wrong?

Laserschwert
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
When adding the -I flag to scummtr.exe when creating the mi1.txt-file, it adds a hex-value to each line... what is this? Does it help mapping the files?

cocomonk22
07-22-2009, 04:23 PM
-I adds the opcode that initiates the text. For instance, D8 is used for printEgo (Guybrush talking), FA is for dialogue options, and 14 is for print (everyone else talking).

Laserschwert
07-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Doesn't this already help pulling Guybrush's lines out of the swordfighting lines?

cocomonk22
07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Not really, as Guybrush's insults are in the normal place while I moved the pirates lines to the last room. Guybrush's insults have opcode 27.

jott
07-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Ok, I updated the tool (http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip) again.
Now it should fall back to the next best line when the room does not match...

I'm not sure how much more time I will/can put into this...... well.... the source code is as always included. And I cleaned the code up at least a little bit.

Also a value of -2 in the mapping.txt should ignore the sample for the line... i.e. "66,1=-2". But this is untested.

SyntheticGerbil
07-23-2009, 10:39 AM
I think the ultimate batch-file would contain a few questions first, including music replacement yes/no, narrator inclusion yes/no, Spiffy inclusion yes/no and so forth (I don't know if that last one is happening though).

And even better than having it just as a batch file would be a nice GUI for it... although of course I've got no idea how to do that.

I included my Spiffy addition with the patches I sent to Espiox. That's what SCUMM Image Encoder was for. I also had to create a new room for the Spiffy closeup scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6K8Ckzg9bI

This is all such great news! I'm looking forward to it!

LogicDeLuxe
07-24-2009, 02:23 AM
I've written a dialog line splitter: (outdated version)
It's not throughoutly tested yet. And there are at least these known bugs:
- Concerning 000_LECF\030_LFLF_store\000_ROOM\050_LSCR.dmp and 000_LECF\083_LFLF_cu-dock\000_ROOM\032_LSCR.dmp as mentioned here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2654259#post2654259
- scummtr reports some bad jumps.

You need to run scummpacker first. Then you need descumm, scummbler and this zip extracted in the same dir. Run dialogsplitter.bat and wait.

cocomonk22
07-24-2009, 07:12 PM
I think splitting the dialogue is the way to go, as that will enable the game to work properly with subtitles off.

EDIT: Jestar Jokin updated Scummbler, so now there are now errors on extracting the text with scummtr! We just need to get the audio matched with the right lines.

EDIT2: The dialogue splitter messed up Spiffy's text position after his first line, so I'm making a new patch now.

LogicDeLuxe
07-25-2009, 04:45 AM
EDIT2: The dialogue splitter messed up Spiffy's text position after his first line, so I'm making a new patch now.Not only Spiffy's. I have to check what causes it. You better not working with the split patch, until this issue is solved.

cocomonk22
07-25-2009, 05:04 AM
OK, I'll leave it as is then.

You have to modify the splitter's output if the print command has position parameters:

Here's the original:
(14) print(255,[Pos(240,8),Text("--LeChuck!^255^3GRRRRRRRRR!^255^3Arf, oo
f-oof, Monkey Island^15!^255^3*sniff* *sniff*")]);
(AE) WaitForMessage()

After split:
(14) print(255,[Pos(240,8),Text("--LeChuck!")]);
(AE) WaitForMessage()
(14) print(255,[Text("GRRRRRRRRR!")]);
(AE) WaitForMessage()
(14) print(255,[Text("Arf, oof-oof, Monkey Island^15!")]);
(AE) WaitForMessage()
(14) print(255,[Text("*sniff* *sniff*")]);
(AE) WaitForMessage()

EDIT: Regarding completely new music where there wasn't any before:
For additional music, the SE added background sounds to certain scenes. We could add this to the CD version by creating new SOUN starting at 099_LFLF_icons\009_SOUN_130.dmp. SOUN works as follows:

Values from offsets 0-23 (0x00-0x17) are all the same, so just copy data from an existing SOUN.
At offset 24 (0x18) track number in hex format (for new music not in original start with track decimal 24 or hex 18).
At offset 25 (0x19) seems to be loop, opening uses 01, scummbar uses ff.
The six remaining values 26-31 (0x1a-0x1f) are all 00 if you want the music to start at the beginning of the track.

An example of music not starting at the beginning:
The scene at the lookout following the intro uses the same music as the opening, but starts at position 1 min 36 sec. Hex values are 01 23 30 00 00 00. 01 23 30 is equivalent to 1 35 48 in decimal.

We would start the music by using startSound(130) or whatever number our SOUN is. To avoid problems we could use
VAR_RESULT = isSoundRunning(130)
if (!VAR_RESULT) {
startSound(130)
}
in the ENCD of the room.

Stopping the music is a bit more difficult, as you have to add a stopSound(130) for every script in the room that leaves the room. A possible problem I can see is on the dock with Guybrush and Elaine when their theme plays on the dock: it should be fine if we stop the dock ambient sound before the Guybrush and Elain theme plays.

LogicDeLuxe
07-25-2009, 06:00 AM
You have to modify the splitter's output if the print command has position parametersI just noticed this. Now, splitlines copies everything between "print" and "Text" to each new line. I hope, this fixes it: (outdated version)

And you should check the script 155 thing in your patch: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2654771#post2654771

cocomonk22
07-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Fixed patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?yymeyajyzh1
What happened was I inserted a hex value when I should have overwritten.

EDIT: I just tested the updated splitter, and the Spiffy lines are in the correct positions now. :thmbup1:

LogicDeLuxe
07-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Still, my linesplitter doesn't seem to give the expected results. When looking at the rubber chicken, Guybrush only says "Hmmm...". He should continue with "A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle", but he doesn't. Any idea what causes the issue?
The original script looks like this:Events:
7 - 00CE
8 - 0024
9 - 009B
5A - 0018
5B - 001E
[0018] (1A) Var[182] = 8;
[001D] (00) stopObjectCode()
[001E] (1A) Var[376] = 961;
[0023] (00) stopObjectCode()
[0024] (D8) printEgo([Text("Hmmm...^255^3A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle^^255^3What possible use could that have?")]);
[0081] (AE) WaitForMessage()
[0083] (54) setObjectName(377,"rubber chicken")
[0095] (14) print(255,[Text(" ")]);
[009A] (00) stopObjectCode()And my tool changes it to:Events:
7 - 00CE
8 - 0024
9 - 009B
5A - 0018
5B - 001E
[0018] (1A) Var[182] = 8;
[001D] (00) stopObjectCode()
[001E] (1A) Var[376] = 961;
[0023] (00) stopObjectCode()
[0024] (D8) printEgo([Text("Hmmm...")]);
WaitForMessage()
printEgo([Text("A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle^")]);
WaitForMessage()
printEgo([Text("What possible use could that have?")]);
[0081] (AE) WaitForMessage()
[0083] (54) setObjectName(377,"rubber chicken")
[0095] (14) print(255,[Text(" ")]);
[009A] (00) stopObjectCode()

cocomonk22
07-25-2009, 07:30 AM
Strange... The first time you look at it, he says the whole message, but if you look at it again, he'll just say "Hmmm..."

EDIT: And if you look at it and then immediately click to start walking around, he says the whole message again... This could have something to do with it being in a VERB. Or it could have something to do with the Event specification. I would test it without any WaitForMessage() between the lines and see if that works.

TheJoe
07-25-2009, 07:43 AM

Why did we not have this tool for MISP!

cocomonk22
07-25-2009, 07:45 AM
We didn't have that tool for MISP because there was no speech.info since the SE hadn't come out or been released.

LogicDeLuxe
07-25-2009, 10:00 AM
I would test it without any WaitForMessage() between the lines and see if that works.Unsurprisingly, it skips right to "What possible use could that have?" then. :mad:

cocomonk22
07-25-2009, 10:22 PM
EDIT3: It now works perfectly! Cutscene 2 (Guybrush reading the re-elect Governor Marley poster) is used to keep verb menu visible and keep the camera in the same position. CursorShow() is used to keep the cursor visible during the cutscene. UserputOn() is used to enable user input (clicking, keys, etc.) during cutscene. The earliest the cutscene can end without messing up Guybrush's lines is after the first WaitForMessage(). Now the behavior to the user is exactly the same as normal, you can click on other objects during Guybrush's lines, you can walk around, you can use other verbs, etc.
[0024] cutscene([2])
CursorShow()
UserputOn()
printEgo([Text("Hmmm...")]);
WaitForMessage()
endCutscene()
[0030] (D8) printEgo([Text("A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle^")]);
WaitForMessage()
[0062] (D8) printEgo([Text("What possible use could that have?")]);
WaitForMessage()
[0089] (54) setObjectName(377,"rubber chicken")
[009B] (14) print(255,[Text(" ")]);
[00A0] (00) stopObjectCode()
The only problems with the dialog splitter are with verbs, right? If so, just use these modifications when splitting lines only in ???_VERB.dmp files.

LogicDeLuxe
07-26-2009, 07:06 AM
EDIT3: It now works perfectly!Unfortunately not. Still "What possible use could that have?" is missing sometimes. Well, that can be solved by placing endCutscene() after that line, so not a big deal.

But worse, you can easily get errors like "Object 377 stopped with active cutscene/override!" when clicking around without letting Guybrush finish his text first.
I think, letting the controls disabled during his lines is a better idea. Just like with the election poster. Unless, you have a better idea.

cocomonk22
07-26-2009, 07:31 AM
OK, I have a better idea:
[0024] cutscene([2])
CursorShow()
UserputOn()
beginOverride
goto end
printEgo([Text("Hmmm...")]);
WaitForMessage()
[0030] (D8) printEgo([Text("A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle^")]);
WaitForMessage()
[0062] (D8) printEgo([Text("What possible use could that have?")]);
WaitForMessage()
[end] endCutscene()
[0089] (54) setObjectName(377,"rubber chicken")
[009B] (14) print(255,[Text(" ")]);
[00A0] (00) stopObjectCode()
Cutscene ends after the last line, and I've added options to handle override so that error won't occur anymore. User can still click around, but can't use any verbs until Guybrush finishes talking.

jestar_jokin
07-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Stopping the music is a bit more difficult, as you have to add a stopSound(130) for every script in the room that leaves the room.

Each room contains an ENCD (room entry) and EXCD (room exit) script. I believe you could modify the single EXCD script to stop the music whenever the room is exited.

cocomonk22
07-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Hopefully that's the case. I was just looking at the scummbar as an example, and it didn't have a stopSound in the EXCD, just in scripts leaving the room for whatever reason.

jestar_jokin
07-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Hopefully that's the case. I was just looking at the scummbar as an example, and it didn't have a stopSound in the EXCD, just in scripts leaving the room for whatever reason.

I'm only guessing, but maybe because whenever you enter a conversation with one of the patrons, it zooms to a close-up, which is actually a new room, and the music is supposed to continue playing in those cases.

LogicDeLuxe
07-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Cutscene ends after the last line, and I've added options to handle override so that error won't occur anymore. User can still click around, but can't use any verbs until Guybrush finishes talking.Nice theory, but unfortunately not accurate. Just look at the chicken while Guybrush is still saying the chicken text: error.

The way I implemented it now, you'll get controls back as soon as Guybrush starts the last line in a VERB script. I hope there are no tricky jumping, as my tool currently only detects cutscenes when they are in order. It does only set this cutscene stuff if the text isn't already in a cutscene, and if it is a VERB script. Let's hope, this works now as expected.
dialogsplitter.zip - 0.01MB (http://www.zshare.net/download/63187900746c9c39/)

LogicDeLuxe
07-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Smirk's cigar can be easily fixed by replacing "[0000] (13) ActorOps(12,[Costume(0)]);" with "[0000] (13) ActorOps(12,[Costume(76)]);" in 000_LECF\076_LFLF_cu-traine\000_ROOM\022_ENCD.dmp

jott
07-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I wonder if it would be easier to patch ScummVM instead of messing with nearly all scripts.....

cocomonk22
07-26-2009, 04:34 PM
I'd rather apply patches to the game itself so it can be compatible with all ScummVM ports.

cocomonk22
07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
The way I implemented it now, you'll get controls back as soon as Guybrush starts the last line in a VERB script. I hope there are no tricky jumping, as my tool currently only detects cutscenes when they are in order. It does only set this cutscene stuff if the text isn't already in a cutscene, and if it is a VERB script. Let's hope, this works now as expected.
dialogsplitter.zip - 0.01MB (http://www.zshare.net/download/63187900746c9c39/)
Looks good, however, could you add in CursorShow() right after cutscene[2] and before beginOverride to make it less obvious that we're using a cutscene for this?

EDIT: Here's an updated version of dialog splitter with the CursorShow() change added back in:
dialogsplitter.zip - 0.01MB (http://www.mediafire.com/?zhmjo1kznko)

LogicDeLuxe
07-27-2009, 10:50 AM
So, since it is running fine now, we need to release an official script patch in order to build a mapping.txt which is compatible for everyone.
Some bugfixes are still possible, as long as no text is changed.

So is the stump joke wanted in? Someone at mixnmojo apparently did have contact with Dominic Amarto and he did some lines for the 2002's April fools joke back then. I can't find the news page of it anymore, so I don't know who it was.
The stump joke lines are:"Hey!"
"There's a hole at the base of this stump!"
"Wow! It's a tunnel that opens onto a system of catacombs!"
"I think I can squeeze through--"
(after requesting disks 22, 36 and 114)
"Oh, well. I guess I can't go down there."
"I'll just have to skip that part of the game."
Btw, the loading image of the SE has a floppy disk labeled "disk 23" which is probably a joke on this.

Espiox
07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
So is the stump joke wanted in?

Honestly, I'm not that bothered about putting that joke in (nor, really, "fixing" any other part of the CD version). I'm all for it if it's optional though.

cocomonk22
07-29-2009, 10:29 PM
I could compile a new patch with LogicDeLuxe's dialog splits.

naveen123
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
When is the CD Talkie Edition being released :)?Give us an approximate :).

jott
07-31-2009, 12:32 PM
First of all the modified SCUMM scripts have to be finished. There are still some minor things to do IMHO (removing some of the "Throopweed" variations, maybe add logic to the sword fighting scenes that the proper response sample is chosen, ...)

If that is done, there is still some more work to be done, as the sword fighting scenes (and some other places) need a proper speech file assignment.

Finally the installer has to be finished to reduce the need of technical skills. I'm not sure how Espiox is coming forward with that.

For my very rough estimate, I guess it's about 5-8 man hours of work with some polish, maybe more. Translate that to the spare time everyone involved has for the project....

Of course anyone who wants to help out is welcome to do so. Alpha & beta testing is essential too....

naveen123
07-31-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't mind testing the game and giving feedbacks.

Nickelstein
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
I wanna beta test

LogicDeLuxe
07-31-2009, 04:37 PM
removing some of the "Throopweed" variationsAgreed. It won't hurt at all if we keep just those which actually have a sample. Unless someone spends all day talking to the lookout, he won't notice the difference for sure.
maybe add logic to the sword fighting scenes that the proper response sample is chosen, ...) I could live without the sample variations, but if someone wants to write the scripts for this.Finally the installer has to be finished to reduce the need of technical skills. I'm not sure how Espiox is coming forward with that.Ideally that would be like the MI speech project, except that instead of a monster.so3, there will be a tool which extracts, encodes and assembles the SE samples to a monster.so3/sog/sof. This tool should have an input file telling the samples order, so that the user don't need scrummtr too.

For beta testers:
Right now, anyone is welcome to test the game with split dialog and check if there isn't anything broken. You currently need quite a lot tools for this to get this far, since there is no convenient installer yet.
Use the latest patch and the dialog splitter tool versions last posted by cocomonk22.

cocomonk22
07-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Can you explain adding logic to the sword fighting scenes? I believe I have done that with different lines based on text color, unless the SE changes lines from the original?

LogicDeLuxe
08-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Can you explain adding logic to the sword fighting scenes? I believe I have done that with different lines based on text color, unless the SE changes lines from the original?I think he meant the variations on Guybrush' lines. For all the replies, we have samples were he sounds rather unsure, which is supposed to be used when the wrong replay is chosen. And we have the main samples in which he sounds rather convinced.

jott
08-01-2009, 06:40 AM
I think he meant the variations on Guybrush' lines.

Exactly. And I agree that it's not as burning as the other problems but would be nice to have.

Ideally that would be like the MI speech project, except that instead of a monster.so3, there will be a tool which extracts, encodes and assembles the SE samples to a monster.so3/sog/sof. This tool should have an input file telling the samples order, so that the user don't need scrummtr too.

Well if it is (legally) possible to redistribute a full patch that includes all current changes there will indeed not be much left to do. The mapping for the mkspeech can be dumped from the current automatic association based on the scummtr output.
As we touch every line of speech I am not quite sure how the legal point in redistributing a patch is (as it will include nearly all of the text lines) so using scummtr is less problematic for that matter.
On the other hand the installer could easily be bundled with all the necessary tools and just call them properly. I sent Espiox a rough script as a starting point for just that about a week ago.

Espiox
08-01-2009, 11:20 AM
On the other hand the installer could easily be bundled with all the necessary tools and just call them properly. I sent Espiox a rough script as a starting point for just that about a week ago.

Wow, has it been that long? Sorry for my absence this week, Real Life stepped in to prevent me putting any time into this project for a short while. I have all of tomorrow off though, so I'll get working on that installer post-haste.

LogicDeLuxe
08-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Well if it is (legally) possible to redistribute a full patch that includes all current changes there will indeed not be much left to do.The point in such patching methods is to avoid legal problems like this. The MI speech project does it the same way for the scripts. And we actually don't touch that much text. Actually only those with variables in it. The main difference is the voice references added.
You sure can't do anything useful with it without having the game files, which is pretty much the point.

I'm not an expert on this, but I never heard of anyone sued due to a patch like this was released. And there certainly are patches which would be of much more legal concern than this one.

jestar_jokin
08-02-2009, 07:21 AM
As we touch every line of speech I am not quite sure how the legal point in redistributing a patch is (as it will include nearly all of the text lines) so using scummtr is less problematic for that matter.

If you use a binary diff tool like bsdiff to create a patch, it will only store the differences between the patched & original files. Technically, none of the lines of text are actually getting changed, just the bits of code inside or surrounding them.

Here's a simplified example:

original:
printEgo("Hi there!^255^3My name's Guybrush Threepwood.")

new:
printEgo("Hi there!")
printEgo("My name's Guybrush Threepwood.")

difference (contents of the patch):
remove ^255^3
insert ") printEgo("

For your own purposes you will need to use scummtr etc to get the speech code into the game, but for final distribution you can just release a patch file (plus the tools for handling the SE stuff).

jott
08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
If you use a binary diff tool like bsdiff to create a patch, it will only store the differences between the patched & original files.

You are probably right, the context needed should be small or just an offset, if the delta algorithm is smart enough. I was thinking too much about normal text diff there.

daltysmilth
08-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Question: when this is all finished, will there be a simple download that will allow this mod to run?

LogicDeLuxe
08-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Question: when this is all finished, will there be a simple download that will allow this mod to run?That's the goal. All you should need is MI1SE, ScummVM and this patch.

whaleyland
08-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Any update on the progress of this project? I've been looking forward to a talkie MI1 and 2 for years and this looks very likely to happen now (and no, the new graphic-intensive remake does not count...I want pixels! I mean, I have the new MI:SE, but I want to turn it into an old MI with talkie...ya know what I mean).

whaleyland
09-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Seriously, what has happened to this project?! Is it still on? I can't run the new SE very well on my Macbook and really want a talkie version of the original.

cocomonk22
09-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Well, pretty much all the programming is done. We just need people to do the dirty work of putting in the lines that didn't get matched up properly into the missing.txt.

xone
09-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Hello,
I'd like to help with the dirty work, but I don't have needed files..
I've tried compile this project by my self using mkspeech, but I've got monster.so3 about 5MB from over 3000 MP3 files.. Anyway, there wasn't any voices during the game (I've decompile and compile again .txt file using scummtr of course)..

Regards, X.

***edit
For beta testers:
Right now, anyone is welcome to test the game with split dialog and check if there isn't anything broken. You currently need quite a lot tools for this to get this far, since there is no convenient installer yet.
Use the latest patch and the dialog splitter tool versions last posted by cocomonk22.

I'm trying compile this project again..
I can't get worked dialog splitter tool (I surely don't have scummbler.py)..

Can anyone write down in one place all needed tools and download links? Thanks in advanced.

***edit 2
OK. I have manage to compile this..
I couldn't use dialog splitter tool because of missing scummbler.py file I think.
But I have about 130MB monster.so3 file and I can hear voices during play..

Anyway someone could write down in one place all needed tools and download links.. Maybe i have miss something and I didn't made it correctly..

Testing now.. It's nice... :D

Varrok
09-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Hello,
I'd like to help with the dirty work, but I don't have needed files..
I've tried compile this project by my self using mkspeech, but I've got monster.so3 about 5MB from over 3000 MP3 files.. Anyway, there wasn't any voices during the game (I've decompile and compile again .txt file using scummtr of course)..

Regards, X.

***edit

I'm trying compile this project again..
I can't get worked dialog splitter tool (I surely don't have scummbler.py)..

Can anyone write down in one place all needed tools and download links? Thanks in advanced.

***edit 2
OK. I have manage to compile this..
I couldn't use dialog splitter tool because of missing scummbler.py file I think.
But I have about 130MB monster.so3 file and I can hear voices during play..

Anyway someone could write down in one place all needed tools and download links.. Maybe i have miss something and I didn't made it correctly..

Testing now.. It's nice... :D

Wow... it's great that you did it :D The bad thing is that you didn't say WHAT DID YOU do (what exactly links did you use, how did you use them) to make it work and some people still has no idea how to hear SE voices in normal game :/

xone
09-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Wow... it's great that you did it :D The bad thing is that you didn't say WHAT DID YOU do (what exactly links did you use, how did you use them) to make it work and some people still has no idea how to hear SE voices in normal game :/

Well.. Isn't too hard to compile this project but you need read whole thread carefully. Sometimes you need search for needed tools using google.

OK. Here is what I have done (if I shouldn't write this all step-by-step instruction, moderator please delete this post).

0 ) YOU NEED TO BUY Your own copy of The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition!
1 ) After install you need get MI CD files that are inside SE version. Extract Monkey1.pak and get classic/en/monkey1.* (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip).
2 ) Extract audio\MusicOriginal.xwb (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/unxwb-mi.zip).
3 ) Now convert xma files to wav (tool to convert http://www.enbclan.com/download.php?f=/cod5/xWMAEncode.zip).
4 ) Convert WAV files to MP3/OGG/FLAC. Rename them starting track1.*
5 ) Extract audio\Speech.xwb (tool above)
6 ) Convert WAV files to MP3 (OGG or FLAC are not supported yet).
7 ) Now You need patch Your Monkey files that you extracted - You should backup files then you will have original files if you fail (here is patch http://www.mediafire.com/?yymeyajyzh1)
8 ) After patching extract scumm script with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H (the tool: http://hibernatus34.free.fr/scumm/scummtr.exe).
9 ) Now if you have all MP3 files and mi1.txt in one folder you can make monster.so3 and mi1new.txt (here is the tool: http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip)
10) Now compile scumm script into the game files with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -if mi1new.txt -H
11) Monkey files (Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001) copy with all 24 tracks and Monsetr.so3 to the same directory and use ScummVM to play..
12) Enjoy and say Thanks to the authors!

Thank you jott, LogicDeLuxe, cocomonk22 and all other hard working on this project!

PS. I have found SCUMMBLER (and needed environment) but I don't know how and when use dialog splitter :(
PS2. Using all steps described above I can play with speeches but sometimes there is no voices or voices are messed. Can I correct it manually?

LogicDeLuxe
09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
PS. I have found SCUMMBLER (and needed environment) but I don't know how and when use dialog splitter :(You don't need neither. The changes made with those tools are included in the patch you used.PS2. Using all steps described above I can play with speeches but sometimes there is no voices or voices are messed. Can I correct it manually?That's pretty much the point and basically the only work remaining in order to make a fully automated tool.
Mkspeech.exe can take a tweak file, which is explained in this thread.

xone
09-11-2009, 04:25 AM
That's pretty much the point and basically the only work remaining in order to make a fully automated tool.
Mkspeech.exe can take a tweak file, which is explained in this thread.

My English isn't very well so I don't know if I understand what tweak file you have talking about.. It's mapping.txt file? I'm trying make something with that file, but I don't quiet understand how mapping file should be prepared (how I should know what I have type there).

BTW. You want make tool that will make whole translation speech.info and mi1.txt to mi1new.txt.. Isn't better share correct mi1new.txt, mapping.txt and tool that will just compile monster.so? and upgrade monkey.00? files (users should have other needed files)? Or it's illegal to share that *.txt files?

PS. If it's isn't illegal to share *.txt files can I ask you to share any mapping.txt file (if you have one)? So maybe I'll be able to help finish it and don't do the job already done. Thanks in advance.

***edit
I'm trying to get a clue how to fix missing voices..
For example: One of Important-looking pirates is saying "Hey, don't forget we're short on help because of this whole LeChuck thing.", but there is no voice, only subtitles. There is also no hex values on the beginning of the line inside mi1new.txt (line before have \xFF\x0A\xf1\x03\xFF\x0A\x00\x00\xFF\x0A\x0a\x00\x FF\x0A\x00\x00, and line after have similar)..
I have found that file PL3_28_bar_48_4.mp3 is exactly this sentence, but I don't know how to add this to mapping.txt or change mi1new.txt to hear it in game.
I wish I have explained this clear enough..

Krasas
09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm trying to get a clue how to fix missing voices..
For example: One of Important-looking pirates is saying "Hey, don't forget we're short on help because of this whole LeChuck thing.", but there is no voice, only subtitles. There is also no hex values on the beginning of the line inside mi1new.txt (line before have \xFF\x0A\xf1\x03\xFF\x0A\x00\x00\xFF\x0A\x0a\x00\x FF\x0A\x00\x00, and line after have similar)..
I have found that file PL3_28_bar_48_4.mp3 is exactly this sentence, but I don't know how to add this to mapping.txt or change mi1new.txt to hear it in game.
I wish I have explained this clear enough..

Based on jott's explanation here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2653174&postcount=62) (refer to page 2 of this thread for the whole discussion), you 'll basically want to modify the mapping.txt file by adding lines to it.
Mapping.txt has lines of the form: x=y
The missing.txt file should direct you as to exactly what you should add to the mapping.txt file.

For those lines that the "mkspeech" tool has trouble identifying the right mp3 sample by itself, the missing.txt should have a bunch of "Multiple hits for line ..." entries. Among those entries you pick the one with the right mp3 sample, and it will tell you exactly what you need to add to the mapping.txt file.

Finally, you should run the mkspeech tool again, and the scummtr command to re-import the subtitles to the game files.

(I have not tried any of the above. That's just my understanding of what needs to be done)

xone
09-15-2009, 04:05 AM
OK..
I have looking for that sentence inside missing.txt and I've found:
MISS : "Hey, don't forget we're short on help because of this whole LeChuck thing." - add 1229,0=sampleno
So I have add to mapping.txt:
1229,0=y
where y is sample number, but how can I check what sample number is PL3_28_bar_48_4.mp3 ??

***edit
OK. I've found speech tool on helicoid server (jott's server I guess), so I have samples order..
I've add "Hey, don't forget we're short on help because of this whole LeChuck thing." sentence using mapping.txt and it's working..
I have two more questions..
- Is it possible to correct mi1new.txt file when samples overlap, for example green pirate is talking "swordplay, thievery, and, er, treasure huntery;" and then "then return with proof that you've done it." but the second sample is overlap..
- Is is possible to correct script file when samples are jerky like "GROG!!! GROG!!! GROG!!!"?

thorndraco
10-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm having trouble with the mkspeech step. It says the speech.info is missing, and I've seen the file name mentioned several times in this thread, but couldn't find any mention of where this file comes from or how I'm supposed to get it.

EDIT: n/m I found it.

EDIT: I have it working, but I'm noticing a ton of the speech overlaps or cuts each other off, is there an optimal subtitle speed I should be using? I also seem to have to re-turn on the speech any time I go to the options.

I have the latest SVN of ScummVM (I actually noticed that the overlap got worse when I updated, instead of better).

mcollard
10-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I am very interested in this project. I restored today a Packard Bell Multi-Media system... I am interested in the talkie versions with subtitles as my child cannot yet read.

I thought it might be a fun project. OK. So for those of us DOS-only losers, is it possible to build scummvm for DOS?

LogicDeLuxe
10-06-2009, 07:52 PM
is it possible to build scummvm for DOS?I don't think so.
I can think of a solution, though. It should be possible to actually replace the music with MIDI versions, and convert the voice samples to 22 kHz VOC, so a monster.sou could be built. Then the game should work with the FOA talky-demo executable. The quality would be similar to DOTT or Sam & Max. No attempts were made to realize such a project, though.

mcollard
10-07-2009, 08:34 AM
This would be ideal.

I have some programming background, however, creating the SOU and setting up the clips is beyond my level of expertise and would charge a hefty learning curve.

LogicDeLuxe
10-07-2009, 10:03 AM
EDIT: I have it working, but I'm noticing a ton of the speech overlaps or cuts each other offYou do use the latest patch posted here, which has the dialog lines split properly, don't you?
We had issues of this kind earlier, which should be fixed now.

whaleyland
10-21-2009, 06:32 PM
So, has anyone produced a talkie version of SMI yet that a regular, non-programmer can use? I assume it will work via ScummVM, but perhaps not. This thread gets updated so intermittently that I don't know if anyone is still working on this project. Any update would be appreciated! Thanks!

cocomonk22
10-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Actually, the previous patch I posted still required that the dialogsplitter be run, so here's a new patch with the lines split properly so you don't have to do that step yourself.

*NEW PATCH*
http://www.mediafire.com/?ntzj5ccnmjm
October 21, 2009

daltysmilth
10-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Actually, the previous patch I posted still required that the dialogsplitter be run, so here's a new patch with the lines split properly so you don't have to do that step yourself.

*NEW PATCH*
October 21, 2009

So, uh... how does all this work?

whaleyland
10-22-2009, 08:50 PM
So, uh... how does all this work?

What he said.

cocomonk22
10-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Try following the steps xone posted (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2672953&postcount=146), just in step 7, use this patch instead: (http://www.mediafire.com/?ntzj5ccnmjm)

For the patch, just extract it into your MONKEY folder that contains MONKEY.000 and MONKEY.001 (or MONKEY1.000 and MONKEY.001) and run INSTALL.BAT. Follow the instructions it gives.

For step 8, you put scummtr.exe in the MONKEY directory. Then you have to open the command prompt. In XP you can go to Start Menu > Run > type cmd > press enter. It's also in Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Once the prompt is open, navigate to the MONKEY directory (for instance, if it is C:\MONKEY, you would type cd c:\monkey and press enter. Once at the MONKEY directory, type scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H and press enter. If that doesn't work, you might have to use scummtr -cw -g monkeycd -of mi1.txt -h -H instead.

At step 9, you just put all the MP3 files and mi1.txt from step 8 and extract mkspeech to that directory and run mkspeech.exe.

Step 10 is similar to step 8.

whaleyland
10-24-2009, 06:02 AM
I'm just going to go ahead and post that step-by-step list here since the link was the wrong one and navigating two different places was becoming rather difficult (I didn't add/change anything, so still follow the corrections above):

Well.. Isn't too hard to compile this project but you need read whole thread carefully. Sometimes you need search for needed tools using google.

OK. Here is what I have done (if I shouldn't write this all step-by-step instruction, moderator please delete this post).

0 ) YOU NEED TO BUY Your own copy of The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition!
1 ) After install you need get MI CD files that are inside SE version. Extract Monkey1.pak and get classic/en/monkey1.* (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip).
2 ) Extract audio\MusicOriginal.xwb (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/unxwb-mi.zip).
3 ) Now convert xma files to wav (tool to convert http://www.enbclan.com/download.php?f=/cod5/xWMAEncode.zip).
7 ) Now You need patch Your Monkey files that you extracted - You should backup files then you will have original files if you fail (here is patch http://www.mediafire.com/?yymeyajyzh1)
8 ) After patching extract scumm script with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H (the tool: http://hibernatus34.free.fr/scumm/scummtr.exe).
9 ) Now if you have all MP3 files and mi1.txt in one folder you can make monster.so3 and mi1new.txt (here is the tool: http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip)
10) Now compile scumm script into the game files with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -if mi1new.txt -H
11) Monkey files (Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001) copy with all 24 tracks and Monsetr.so3 to the same directory and use ScummVM to play..

Thank you jott, LogicDeLuxe, cocomonk22 and all other hard working on this project!

PS. I have found SCUMMBLER (and needed environment) but I don't know how and when use dialog splitter :(
PS2. Using all steps described above I can play with speeches but sometimes there is no voices or voices are messed. Can I correct it manually?

whaleyland
10-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Alright, I've attempted this check off list but run into a few problems (note: I am not a programmer in any way, but I can follow lists fairly accurately).

First problem: xWMAEncode.exe could not or did not convert my files. The command prompt just blinked on the screen and disappeared again. I have a copy of Monkey Island CD music which I used instead since I couldn't convert the real music. I don't think this will cause an issue.

Second problem: This is the major issue. mkspeech.exe doesn't work for me. While the patcher works just fine, mkspeech tells me that it "Could not open "speech.info", whatever that is. Without mkspeech working, the entire talkie-conversion doesn't work making my efforts all in vain. I can't get the new mi1new.txt file or monster.so3 nor move on to step 10. Just to make sure things don't work at this step, I tried it on Scumm and it player just like it were the normal CD version, no talkie.

Can anyone help me with a solution to this problem? I'm so close to getting it all done but this one step seems to be killing any progress I've made. Thank you!

Varrok
10-25-2009, 05:11 AM
Speech.info is somewhere in your MI:SE files :) Try searching in game folders (Data?)

whaleyland
10-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Speech.info is somewhere in your MI:SE files :) Try searching in game folders (Data?)

Ah, so it is. It is in the Audio folder. That little part should probably also be added to the instructions.

Okay, so I've successfully implemented The Secret of Monkey Island (CD/Talkie) edition. There were numerous errors in the mkspeech.exe install, stating something like 4100 things were modified but the remaining 4000 had errors (I neglected to write down the numbers unfortunately. I do have the missing.txt file, however if anyone wants it). Now, onto errors I've encountered in the first 10 minutes of play.

The Pirate Masters (?) in the SCUMM BAR are not very good at simultaneously chanting. "The Three Tests" (or whatever it is) didn't have audio, nor did a caption a bit prior to it. When they chant "Grog! Grog! Grog!" together, it comes out more like "Gra Gra Gra", being cut off at the ends. The next round of chanting also doesn't have audio nor does the trio of "Har Har Har"s. I'm guessing that simultaneous voices just don't work well with the speech implementation. The first and last lines of LOOM man don't play sadly.

I rather figured that there would be some audio errors since this still isn't out of beta, and overall it is very well done. I especially like the reimplementation of the dog in the bar. If there is any fairly easy way to correct these text problems, I can try, if someone could just give me some pointers. Thanks for all the hard work! This talkie version is awesome!

ronzbig1
11-08-2009, 07:33 AM
I've made simple installer - you just have to choose game folder, and press enter in few moments - http://www.storage.to/get/fSVZlV5P/install.exe

daltysmilth
11-09-2009, 12:45 AM
I've made simple installer - you just have to choose game folder, and press enter in few moments - http://www.storage.to/get/fSVZlV5P/install.exe

Okay, I installed it. Now what? How do I run the game?

daltysmilth
11-09-2009, 12:48 AM

Okay, I installed it. Now what? How do I run the game?

daltysmilth
11-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Note to mods, I tried to delete the second post, but it didn't work.

whaleyland
11-09-2009, 01:57 AM
I have the same problem. I installed it, but I can't find where to direct ScummVM. I tried the "Classic" folder, but it wouldn't play any sound.

ronzbig1
11-09-2009, 08:43 AM
MISE\audio\classdub <- folder with patched game

whaleyland
11-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks. It was there waiting for me. However, all the audio problems I noted in an earlier post are still present...mostly when multiple people talk simultaneously (e.g., the three pirates).

I was also wondering if there is any easy way to get the new Monkey Island music working with the original MI? I figure it's something simple, probably just decompressing a file or something, but I'm not sure how.

MusiclyInspired
11-13-2009, 01:06 PM
It's easy as pie. You just extract the music files from the SE and rename the files as the correct track numbers from the CD version. Not a particularly difficult process.

Admonisher
11-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Call me dim, but I'm having some issues here. I'm assuming that all I need to make this work is:

(a) SOMI:SE purchased, downloaded and installed from Steam
(b) ScummVM (I'm using the version updated on August 25, 2009)
(c) The newly released installer exe

So here are my questions then:

1. When I launch the new installer, it asks me to select a folder containing the game. Which folder do I actually select? Do I use "the secret of monkey island special edition", do I continue to select "audio", or do I go all the way to "classdub"?

2. When the process finishes, I direct ScummVM to the "classdub" folder to find the game?

3. When it offers me the option of three versions of Monkey Island (CD, FM Towns, etc.) which one do I select? And are there any special settings I will subsequently need to adjust?

4. Finally, where do the CD audio files wind up in case I want to replace them?

Thanks!

whaleyland
11-14-2009, 12:49 AM
1. I just selected the SMI folder and it worked.
2. Yes, direct ScummVM to classdub or rename and move classdub to somewhere else (probably the ScummVM folder).
3. Any version probably will work just fine but I believe LucasArts used the CD version for this remake.
4. Do you mean the new CD audio files? They don't get converted. You have to do that separately and figure out the order that they go in. I tried just renumbering them (subtracting one from each track#) but that didn't seem to work entirely. I still haven't figured this part out entirely. If you mean the original audio files from the original SMI, then those are the ones you are hearing behind the new speech.

I hope that helps.

Admonisher
11-15-2009, 09:07 PM
OK ... I followed the above process, and here's what happens.

First, the installer gives me the following message at the very end:

Read 4573 entries from speech.info.
Read 7463 lines from mi1.txt, 2483 lines have no matching entry.

Second, when the process is finished, only 24 mp3 files wind up in the classdub folder. Hence, when I try to direct ScummVM to that folder, it states that it can't find any games. When I direct ScummVM to the "audio" folder, on the other hand, it DOES find the game ... but it then informs me that I need to get music files from the CD. The game plays, but without music OR dialogue. So ... what am I doing wrong?

Teeth
11-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Just want to say well done on this amazing patch. It's not perfect but it's amazing just how much can be done with SCUMM games, and so easily as well.

I tried to get the talkie version to work on DS, with SCUMMVM DS. It works, but the voice quality is too high, so whenever someone talks it slows down and goes crackly. I managed to get the Special Edition music to work on SCUMMVM DS by reducing the quality to 32kbps, which is a bit muffled, but the sound quality isn't perfect on DS anyway. Would it be at all possible for a second version of the installer to be made which compresses the sound for DS?

Also another thing; whenever I rip music from my MI1 CD, the track from the beginning of the game when Guybrush meets the lookout is always missing. Which number is this track supposed to be, so I can add it back in?

Thanks in advance. :D

Threepwood42
11-20-2009, 08:29 PM
OK ... I followed the above process, and here's what happens.

First, the installer gives me the following message at the very end:

Second, when the process is finished, only 24 mp3 files wind up in the classdub folder. Hence, when I try to direct ScummVM to that folder, it states that it can't find any games. When I direct ScummVM to the "audio" folder, on the other hand, it DOES find the game ... but it then informs me that I need to get music files from the CD. The game plays, but without music OR dialogue. So ... what am I doing wrong?

Mine did the same thing :*( I really want this to work but I'm too lazy to download all the other stuff and do the long way around :p Help please.

daltysmilth
11-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah, it's pretty amazing. One thing I'm almost tempted to do is to take all the voice files and convert them to a much lower bitrate so they sound all compressed, just to make it feel like they were recorded back in 1990 when the game first came out. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just crazy like that.

Cube1701
11-22-2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks for this, it worked well (I got some error messages, but the game seems to work with voice). Now I can play Monkey Island with voice on my Nokia 5800.

LogicDeLuxe
11-22-2009, 01:41 PM
One thing I'm almost tempted to do is to take all the voice files and convert them to a much lower bitrate so they sound all compressed, just to make it feel like they were recorded back in 1990 when the game first came out. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just crazy like that.It's not the compression which makes it sound 1990 like. In fact, compression were rarely used at all, since it uses up much CPU time, usually too much for the time.

What it would make it sound 1990 like is resampling and requantization. Fate of Atlantis is 11025 Hz, 8 bit, mono. DOTT and Sam & Max use 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono for voice files.

In order to keep a tolerable signal to noise ratio, most games have also quite a lot of dynamic compression and a limiter applied. Which results in a steady level well above the quantization noise, but this practice also tends to sound lifeless.

daltysmilth
11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Okay, I've found a bug. The game keeps crashing during the wedding after the part where Guybrush asks Elaine how she managed to escape. And I've tried clicking on the other two dialogue options and it does the same thing. Thoughts?

Lagomorph01
11-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Allright, I got it working on my Wii! Which is great 'cause now I can play it from my couch!
I just think that the voices are played a bit fragmental, so I tried upping the subtitle speed, but that just makes the voices disappear. Any idea how to fix this?

Laserschwert
11-24-2009, 11:22 AM
With everyone talking about the installer, I understand that all spoken lines are now correctly assigned to the text-lines in game? No more mismatches?

whaleyland
11-24-2009, 02:09 PM
With everyone talking about the installer, I understand that all spoken lines are now correctly assigned to the text-lines in game? No more mismatches?

They are not all fixed. I got it installed correctly but all simultaneous speech either doesn't work or cuts off and a few lines here and there don't work. I wrote up a list earlier but no one commented on it or offered to help.

Admonisher
11-24-2009, 04:16 PM
They are not all fixed. I got it installed correctly but all simultaneous speech either doesn't work or cuts off and a few lines here and there don't work. I wrote up a list earlier but no one commented on it or offered to help.

And the installer doesn't work AT ALL for some of us, for reasons also unknown.

ronzbig1
11-25-2009, 10:25 AM
You're working on XP, Vista, 7?

Threepwood42
11-25-2009, 01:16 PM
You're working on XP, Vista, 7?

I'm on Vista

Admonisher
11-25-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm on XP.

whaleyland
11-26-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm on XP, but I have tested the Talkie version on XP and Snow Leopard. Same problems on both.

Silvor
12-12-2009, 02:59 PM
It's a real shame this project never got finished :(
I wonder if it perhaps would be easier to hack the Special edition to enable the voices with the old art?
I'm no programmer, just a suggestion.

Lagomorph01
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
It's a real shame this project never got finished :(
I wonder if it perhaps would be easier to hack the Special edition to enable the voices with the old art?
I'm no programmer, just a suggestion.

You haven't really been paying attention to the forum, have you?

Silvor
12-13-2009, 06:45 AM
What do you mean?
Has there been any other progress than whats stated in this thread then?

Lagomorph01
12-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Just download the installer on top of this page and you can PLAY the original CD version with the SMI:SE voices.

Silvor
12-13-2009, 07:08 AM
According to the last replies on this thread it still doesn't work well. Missing speech, cut off speech and the like.
Hence why I said it was sad this project wasn't finished.
I never said it wasn't released in beta form.

Lagomorph01
12-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Oops, my fault.
I thought you were still talking about the speech project for MI1.
My bad.

I haven't played this version that much though, the voices are a suprisingly bad addition to the original game. They just don't fit.

whaleyland
12-13-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree with Silvor. The project still hasn't left Beta yet no one seems to care. There are still major problems and no one ever notes them or tries to fix them. Simultaneous speech doesn't work and there are still lines that don't speak as early as 1 minute into the game. The game isn't finished, just as Silvor said.

Silvor
12-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Maybe it just got too complicated.
Which is why I'm wondering if it perhaps would be easier to hack the Special edition game so that the voices don't disappear when you switch to the old art.

whaleyland
12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the technique to do that, though, would be the same. And I'm not sure how you would get the voices to continue when you switch versions.

Admonisher
12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Run both versions simultaneously? :P

LordTrilobite
12-15-2009, 06:53 AM
As far as I know the SE stuff loads even when you play classic. So shouldn't it be something as simple as unhiding it?

Silvor
12-15-2009, 08:40 AM
As far as I know the SE stuff loads even when you play classic. So shouldn't it be something as simple as unhiding it?

That's sort of along the lines of what I was thinking.
If only I'd had the know how I'd check it out myself, but alas.

Laserschwert
12-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Didn't someone suggest swapping all SE-graphics with complete transparent images, to reveal the classic version underneath? And is that how the SE works anyway?

Silvor
12-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Didn't someone suggest swapping all SE-graphics with complete transparent images, to reveal the classic version underneath? And is that how the SE works anyway?

Not sure that would work, I'm don't think the new and old graphics are completely aligned, the new art is also widescreen.

Laserschwert
12-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Not sure that would work, I'm don't think the new and old graphics are completely aligned, the new art is also widescreen.Ah right... that's why the image zooms out when you switch modes... so even IF it worked, you wouldn't be able to see your verbs and inventory.

LordTrilobite
12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Changing the graphics isn't that hard. It must be fairly easy to find out.

Edit: Here's an idea, making all graphics but the inventory and verbs transparent. So you'll have classic backgrounds and characters, but still have the SE interface. Not the best of solutions, but it should work alright, IF the SE graphics are actually ON the classic graphics.

Silvor
12-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Changing the graphics isn't that hard. It must be fairly easy to find out.

Edit: Here's an idea, making all graphics but the inventory and verbs transparent. So you'll have classic backgrounds and characters, but still have the SE interface. Not the best of solutions, but it should work alright, IF the SE graphics are actually ON the classic graphics.

Not sure about that.
Remember that the mouse pointer and inventory functions are different when you play with the new graphics as well as the new art being widescreen and the old art not.

bugmenot16
12-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Congrats!
Making it possible to play Somi, with new speech. ie Somi the Talkie Version.
and To the Somi Se team for providing the voices, and making this possible.
after all no data, = no byte change. = nothing to work with.

1 ) After install you need get MI CD files that are inside SE version. Extract
Monkey1.pak and get classic/en/monkey1.* (tool to extract:http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip).
7 ) Now You need patch Your Monkey files that you extracted - You should backup files then you will have
original files if you fail (here is patch http://www.mediafire.com/?yymeyajyzh1)
8 ) After patching extract scumm script with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H (the tool:
http://hibernatus34.free.fr/scumm/scummtr.exe).
9 ) Now if you have all MP3 files and mi1.txt in one folder you can make monster.so3 and mi1new.txt (here is the tool:
http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip)
11) Monkey files (Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001) copy with all 24 tracks and Monsetr.so3 to the same directory and use
ScummVM to play..

**PS. dialog splitter included in cocomonk22's patch now!
PS2. Using all steps described above I can play with speeches but sometimes there is no voices or voices are messed.
Can I correct it manually?

**= Just another little update/review:noel:.

**Installer extract new files to -> MISE\audio\classdub <- folder with patched game
**Installer renames/REorders your extracted MusicOriginal.xwb music files also. and compress to mp3.

PN: The installer does delete
del mi1.txt
del mi1new.txt
del missing.txt
Which does not help with the updating of the mapping.txt, other then that, it checks files via MD5.exe which is great.

If someone could update the first page with all the tool updates for this project, that would be great!.
Excellent works guys!

--Just one thing, on the updating, Monster.So3
Could not find SLP_71_gh-room_9_1.mp3
Wrote 4522 samples to monster.so3.

Nothing added so far!. WIP.

cocomonk22 Patch tool -: updates monkey1.001 and monkey1.000
jott's Mkspeech tool -: updates monkey1.001 and monkey1.000

how I have come to understand it, is that, if you, Process the patch tool first

Code 1 sample

BSPATCH.EXE MONKEY1.000.bup MONKEY1.000 PATCH.000
BSPATCH.EXE MONKEY1.001.bup MONKEY1.001 PATCH.001

PN: Bspatch is now updated with no need for BZIP2.EXE anymore.

then back up the new Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001 to a new folder. then process....

Code 2 sample

scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H
mkspeech.exe

which create your Monster.so3 file. Then if I add to mapping.txt, it wont let me add anymore samples, because the Monkey1 files have already been updated to something,
So if you run ref 'Code 2 sample' again it wont write any samples and the Monster.so3 file goes to 1kb only.

so until a fix is made for this, I recommend, to copy the patch backup files in folder,
and overwrite them with the new ones, ie. Monkey1.001 and Monkey1.000,
then if you run, code 2 sample again it works, with the mapping added to it.

Big thanks to jott, LogicDeLuxe, cocomonk22 for all your great work. :thmbup1:
and thank you to ronzbig1 for making the installer.

PS. I hope one of the testers have been working on the mapping.txt.
I think it usefull to upload your mapping.txt files, and compare and merge. This Fine tuning work should be done soon.
Then post for a final patch to be done with all files needed to be included.

Perhaps one of you guys might want to tackle the bug '0.00- km' in Xcom Interceptor next!, just a thought!. :raise:

**Edit-----
OK..
I have looking for that sentence inside missing.txt and I've found:
MISS : "Hey, don't forget we're short on help because of this whole LeChuck thing." - add 1229,0=sampleno
So I have add to mapping.txt:
1229,0=y
where y is sample number, but how can I check what sample number is PL3_28_bar_48_4.mp3 ??

***edit
OK. I've found speech tool on helicoid server (jott's server I guess), so I have samples order..

What?? I must be missing something here,
So, just what did you find out, How do you get the 'Sampleno'.
if you know the filename (ie GUY_30_store_5_1.mp3 for below) and found entry in missing.txt,
How do you know the x,y=sampleno
Someone please clarify.

MISS : "\xFF\x0A\xFB\x04\xFF\x0A\x00\x00\xFF\x0A\x0A\x00\x FF\x0A\x00\x00"Davey Jones\x0F Lockers:\xFF\x01The last word in theft-, fire-, and grog-resistant storage devices."" - add 1744,0=sampleno

Char: Safe in store

**It has been mentioned that a x,y=-2 value of Sampleno = disable, thou not tested!

Its easy..err..ier when mkspeech has already filled in the Sampleno for you Like in these examples.
http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2653174&postcount=62
http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2653189&postcount=67

*** both of these, only example what to do if mkspeech has already filled in
'Sampleno' for you. but how do you do it if its not filled in(x,y=Sampleno)?? :confused:

I've run into a problem, with sampleno filled in by mkspeech
I add the line to mapping.txt, but it gets said in the wrong order, Guy=man and man=Guy and I tryed to swap them around in mapping.txt but alas, no joy.

MULTI: "Nice talking to you.", room (79) and interaction_index (91) matches - add 4672,0=2914 for sample GUY_79_cu-bar-1_9_1
MULTI: "Nice talking to you.", room (79) and interaction_index (91) matches - add 4672,0=2969 for sample MAN_79_cu-bar-1_22_3

they are both valid, because, Man says it, and then Guy after, im using the first name of file. althou It should be the other way around.

Char: First pirate by the door
talk and exit.

ThunderPeel2001
12-20-2009, 08:08 AM
I have absolutely no idea what you just posted. Does anyone?

Monkey Mania
12-20-2009, 09:58 PM
It ain't easy is it?

Jackpumpkinhead
04-03-2010, 07:42 PM
i was looking forward to doing this but one of the links is dead
the patch link is dead
could someone reup this
or does the installer do everything for you?

cocomonk22
04-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I think that was an older version.

Use this one:

MethodGit
06-04-2010, 01:16 AM
What's the likelihood that OGG/FLAC support for the speech will be added at some point?

omaer94
07-10-2010, 05:42 PM
i was just wondering if it was legal to modify the original monkey1.000 and monkey1.001 game files like this so that the game may support speech.

cocomonk22
07-10-2010, 05:59 PM
You can not redistribute the modified 000 and 001 files since they contain copyrighted material, hence the reason for the patches that only contain the changes to those files. The patches may fall under derivative work classification, but game modifications typically are not pursued by copyright holders.

omaer94
07-10-2010, 06:23 PM
ok thx so that means i cant redistrbute the files but i can use the patches right?

cocomonk22
07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Yes, use the patches.

omaer94
07-10-2010, 06:34 PM
ok thx a lot

MethodGit
07-19-2010, 10:05 PM
What's the likelihood that OGG/FLAC support for the speech will be added at some point?
Never mind, it seems that hexediting mkspeech.exe to replace MP3 references with OGG/FLAC ones works just as well. :thmbup1:

MusiclyInspired
07-19-2010, 11:11 PM
So what's the status of this patch currently anyway? What is it currently capable of doing? Were all the incorrect speech bugs ever ironed out?

abhakam
07-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys.
But kinda disappointed that the game get stuck in the very last chapter
the part where lechuck says "what... i.. um..."

LogicDeLuxe
07-30-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm currently editing "The Secret of Monkey Island". If it turns out the way I want it, you could select between MT-32, General MIDI and CD audio in one version. (Not sure about Adlib yet).

I also found and fixed several bugs of the original game as well as those introduced in the enhanced CD. This includes such obvious ones as the storekeeper closed the door AFTER he walks to the counter, cosmetic ones such as correct location of "Rum. Jam." subtitles and some highlight colors using the floppy colors instead of matching the new MI2 interface, messed up jokes like the "Still ten o'clock"-joke, aligned the upside down text at the circus, and more.

I've altered many scripts to be talkie friendly, so this can be ultimately used for the CD Talkie Edition Project.
CD audio will only work with ScummVM though, since native SCUMM doesn't support it with the talkie enhanced EXE.

No upload yet, since I want to get things working first, and then I'm going to work on a patching tool, which can be freely distributed. Currently, I did quite a few things, which the available tools can't automate yet. This includes creating a true monster.sou with 22 kHz, 8 bit throughout, some samples I lowered in volume, like the "pssst." in Melee town. And while some samples are premixed like "Grog. Grog. Grog.", others like "Rum. Jam." are not, so I had to do it in a sample editor.

If someone wants to help, two things of the FATE.EXE bother me, so anyone experienced in EXE hacking, the following would be very nice:
Edit: You should use the latest executable from here (which I hope it is): ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/fatecd.exe (which can be unpacked with 7zip)

- Increase the music volume. The music plays significantly softer then in non-talkie versions of V5 SCUMM (ie. MONKEY.EXE, MONKEY2.EXE, non-talkie ATLANTIS.EXE), probably because the voice acting was recorded that soft in "Fate of Atlantis". Currently, I have to turn my MT-32 about 26 dB louder then my soundcard output to get a sensible volume match which is pretty extreme (testing in DOSbox).

- On the command line, using 'g' instead of 'r' for using GMIDI.IMS, which replaces the redundant ROLAND.IMS.

- And the ultimate bonus, if you could re-add CD audio support to FATE.EXE. Command line boot parameters has to be enabled for this too, since I use it to tell the game to use CD audio instead of MIDI. Debug mode is not needed fir this, since unlike the other boot parameters, I do the check outside the debug code block.
Thanks guys.
But kinda disappointed that the game get stuck in the very last chapter
the part where lechuck says "what... i.. um..."I noticed this too. There are more problems like this, which was caused due to buggy descumm output. My dialog line splitter worked on those buggy scripts and scummbler compiled the missleading blocks in a way that some code is never executed. I can fix those problems too, by manually fixing the decompiled scripts. I filed a bug report at ScummVM, but somehow I doubt that they will fix it anytime soon, since it is not critical for the ScummVM project.

abhakam
07-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Thank LogicDeluxe

I just like to appreciate the work you all done.
The experience of playing Monkey Island again with voices is refreshing
the nostalgic feel with a touch of new, just make the game more enjoyable as it already was
and no, changing the art style for me ruins the game.. old school pixel art seriously rules!

Although the game has some issues, like some line has no voices or line said by wrong characters..
but it doesn't hinders the enjoyment of the game

Again, thanks for the AWESOME work!
Hope to see the future of this great project :)

LogicDeLuxe
08-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Although the game has some issues, like some line has no voices or line said by wrong characters.. I'm just about to fix as many as possible. Wrong voices shouldn't be there in the final patch. Some missing lines are unavoidable, due to sloppy work with the SE to begin with. This includes one swordmaster instult, and some of Stan's price ideas.
I restricted lines with variables in it to those which actually have a matching voice file and use the placeholder lines otherwise, like "I have enough money for anything I need to buy." and "I have enough money for anything I need to buy, except a ship.". Yeah, I did implement a check, so the latter is used when the three trials are done AND you didn't got a ship yet.
Some further lines which don't have an exact match can use a close enough approximation. For instance, the swordmaster says "OK, you win.", but the voice file says "I give up, you win.".
And similar to the FM-Towns version, I include some more sounds.
I also replace most of the very low quality ingame sounds with those of the SE. Native SCUMM V5 plays 22kHz, 8bit, mono just fine. (MONKEY.001 increases to about 6.7MB)

LogicDeLuxe
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Here is my version 0.5 beta of the CD talkie patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?ws7qat4n77cra9i
You need Python installed for this to work. I hope to get rid of this requirement in the final release.
Put the MI1_Classic_Talkie_CD_builder folder where you have MISE.exe installed.
You'll find more detailed instructions and a list of changes in the readme.

Bug reports are always welcome. Post them right here.

Laserschwert
08-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Unfortunately extract_classic.exe crashes (under Win7 Pro 64bit):

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8927/errorbke.jpg

All the other steps seem to work, although of course there are some missing-files errors after that extract_classic-step. Running the exe on its own gives the same error.

Edit: Okay, it works in XP-mode (so it works in Windows XP).

LogicDeLuxe
08-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Unfortunately extract_classic.exe crashes (under Win7 Pro 64bit):Does this one work? http://www.mediafire.com/?5xwca35c2cyvc8c
I noticed a potential problem, which should be fixed now. It didn't crash for me, though. Too bad, some protection faults aren't reliable reproducible.

Laserschwert
08-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I'll test it some other time.

But the first "bug" I've encountered happens when talking to the Men of Low Moral Fiber: I guess it's impossible to have the short guy giggle during the lines of the other pirates? Anyway, when he gets hit on the head, the sound seems to be wrong... although I'm not sure, what sound is played in the SE.

LogicDeLuxe
08-09-2010, 07:52 AM
But the first "bug" I've encountered happens when talking to the Men of Low Moral Fiber: I guess it's impossible to have the short guy giggle during the lines of the other pirates?There are 16 short random giggle samples, which I will play randomly in places where the conversation pauses. That should be easy enough to do.

Anyway, when he gets hit on the head, the sound seems to be wrong... although I'm not sure, what sound is played in the SE.It feels that the sound plays a bit early indeed. It is where the subtitles are, but I suppose I can increase the delay slightly to better fit the animation.

Besides that, there is a bug indeed. There is supposed to appear 2 random letter between "-- " and "k --". This is easy to fix, as I just have to correct the indexes into the string.
There are 10 grunt variation, which I will play randomly in the next version.

LogicDeLuxe
08-12-2010, 01:36 PM
New version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/050gb5o60559al8/MI1_CD_Talkie_Version_Builder_0.6.zip

v0.6 beta:
- Python not required anymore.
- Piranha poodles freezing before eating the meat. (all versions)
- Navigator malfunctions. (all versions)
- Ghost key cloning. (all versions)
- Storekeeper walks through mid-air when shortening the first open safe cutscene early. (all versions)
- "Use pewter wad with ???" can cause an error if it disappears from inventory, but the command isn't executed yet, ie. Guybrush is still walking to the target object.
- Men of Low Moral Fiber missing text, timing, giggling, hitting and subtitling improved.
- Cast spelling. (original SE errors)
- Firework sounds working in the DOS version. Not during conversation, though, which is a limitation of native SCUMM V5.
- On the Sea Monkey, dripping water animation speed. (enhanced CD)

Laserschwert
08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
The tool doesn't crash anymore, but unfortunately the classic music couldn't be extracted, and the SE music is missing tracks 22, 23 and 24.

By the way, when walking around Mêlée Town, isn't there supposed to be ambience playing? Or was that just in the SE?

LogicDeLuxe
08-12-2010, 04:19 PM
The tool doesn't crash anymore, but unfortunately the classic music couldn't be extracted, and the SE music is missing tracks 22, 23 and 24.I can see the problem. Sorry, my goofy editing. In tools\cdaudio.bat line 5, remove the part before "call miseAudioProcessing.cmd", that'll fix it.By the way, when walking around Mle Town, isn't there supposed to be ambience playing? Or was that just in the SE?It's in the SE only. But I have this on my todo list. The next version will probably have ambient tracks for Mle Town and for the river on Monkey Island. Those will be only available in ScummVM, though.

MusiclyInspired
08-13-2010, 10:33 AM
So does this mean that all the dialogue lines are properly carried over now?

LogicDeLuxe
08-13-2010, 03:33 PM
So does this mean that all the dialogue lines are properly carried over now?They should, if I didn't miss anything. If you notice any errors, please report them right here.
What I'm still doing is basically some tweaking with sounds, timing etc. to make it the perfect version. There were quite some obvious and also not so obvious goofs in the original scripts. See the readme for details.

OzzieMonkey
08-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea how this works.

Laserschwert
08-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea how this works.

Just read the ReadMe-file... it explains it (although you just have to copy the files into your folder and double-click one file).

LogicDeLuxe
08-16-2010, 07:17 AM
New version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bc2iijyktusr0c7/MI1_CD_Talkie_Version_Builder_0.7.zip

- Converting CD audio and SE music tracks. (v0.6 beta)
- "Thanks" at Stan with wrong voice. (v0.5 beta)
- Picking up yellow flower not animated. (all versions)
- Yellow petal is green at Stan's (enhanced CD)
- Random swordfighting pirates have all the same colors (enhanced CD)
- Firework colors and lightning effect. (all VGA versions)
- Blue floor color in the kitchen door from the Scumm bar, despite the kitchen has a brown floor. (enhanced CD).
- Beat the swordmaster cheat re-implemented. Cheats are only available in debug mode.
- Safe sound not playing for every move. (ScummVM problem with the SE sound)
- Added sounds for Scumm Bar chef crying, LeChuck punching Guybrush and Stan, grog machine crash and shaking, monkeys eating bananas, monkey head key and monkey bride.
- Added ambient tracks for Melee Town and Monkey Island river.
- Added accentuation differences of right and wrong insult's replies.
- Debug keys on unfeasible combinations. (DOSbox defaults, ScummVM and even native SCUMM V5)

whaleyland
08-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for this latest update. It seems immeasurably better than the old updates. I feel confident that I can give this version to my friends who have never played Monkey Island before because they disliked the lack of "talkiness".

One question, though. Has anyone found a way to get LeChuck's Revenge SE working with talkie in ScummVM? Since this project seems to be wrapping up, I'd really like a copy of LeChuck to work in ScummVM. Since LucasArts actually linked talkie to the original LeChuck in the Special Edition, wouldn't it be much easier to adapt for ScummVM?

LogicDeLuxe
08-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Since LucasArts actually linked talkie to the original LeChuck in the Special Edition, wouldn't it be much easier to adapt for ScummVM?It would be exactly the same work. What the SE actually does has nothing to do with this project, or how ScummVM works.

Monkey Mania
08-19-2010, 02:00 AM
I think it would be nice if you could lower the frequency of the voice files to match the sound quality of the classic "talkies."

LogicDeLuxe
08-19-2010, 03:41 AM
I think it would be nice if you could lower the frequency of the voice files to match the sound quality of the classic "talkies."Currently, I convert all samples to Soundblaster friendly 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono. Which is what the other Talkies for DOS did, except Loom (which is CD audio) and Indy4 (which has needlessly low 11025 Hz only). Hence, besides those exceptions, it DOES match the classic talkies.

Though, since I plan to support a ScummVM version without resampling at all, I have to implement support for multiple sample rates anyway, so a user selectable rate should be no problem to support in the final version.

Monkey Mania
08-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Currently, I convert all samples to Soundblaster friendly 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono. Which is what the other Talkies for DOS did, except Loom (which is CD audio) and Indy4 (which has needlessly low 11025 Hz only). Hence, besides those exceptions, it DOES match the classic talkies.

Though, since I plan to support a ScummVM version without resampling at all, I have to implement support for multiple sample rates anyway, so a user selectable rate should be no problem to support in the final version.

Strange, the voices still sound too crisp.

LogicDeLuxe
08-24-2010, 07:14 AM
New Version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/i11854818pk355w/MI1_CD_Talkie_Version_Builder_0.8.zip

v0.8 beta:
- The narrator is now available on CTRL-a.
- Talk color for the voodoo lady. (enhanced CD)
- The codewheel query now works as intended. (v0.5 beta)
- Mancomb's missing chair and blue scum. (all VGA versions)
- Cyan pixels in spinning Scumm Bar pirates. (all VGA versions)
- missing sign on the ghost ship deck. (all versions except EGA)
- Various costume regressions. (enhanced CD)
- Shaking animation of grog machine. (enhanced CD)
- LeChuck removing his sheriff costume has a cyan beard for a brief moment. (all VGA versions)
- downward flying LeChuck has flashing hands. (all VGA versions)
- line with missing voice at the Loom guy. (v0.5 beta)
- Lookout dialog. (v0.5 beta)
- Firework colors and lightning effect. (all VGA versions)
- Too bright costume palette in some rooms. (enhanced CD)
- Torch colors in jail. (enhanced CD)
- Lamp in mansion light color. (enhanced CD)
- Colored corner at the sign on the banana tree. (enhanced CD)
- Jolly Roger still visible on the mast after cooking. (all versions)
- Added additional notices for restored jokes to prevent misunderstandings.

Krasas
08-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I just have to say this. LogicDeLuxe you rock! I tried your Talkie Version builder and it works amazingly (I have only tested it for a few screens so far, but I am certainly impressed)!

Laserschwert
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
By now this has transformed into more than just a talkie version builder... with all those bug fixes, implementations and options (Toggling the narrator? Brilliant!) it's more like to "Ultimate Classic Version Builder".

Awesome!

LogicDeLuxe
08-24-2010, 01:20 PM
it's more like to "Ultimate Classic Version Builder".Good idea. I think, I will use that name for the next version.
Unless someone has an even better suggestion. :)

JezzaTheLagomorph
08-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Just a suggestion, can you put in an option to not use the close-up of Spiffy the dog? It sorta looks out of place, since it was from the EGA version.

whaleyland
08-26-2010, 01:09 AM
"Ultimate Classic Version Builder" suggests that this is less than it actually is. I suggest something more along the lines of "Reverse SCUMM Edition" or "Ultimate Talkie Edition". Basically something that emphasizes the new "talkie" feature, the new "ultimate" additions, and the reversion of the Special Edition to the original SCUMM edition.

I got it, "The Secret of Monkey Island: The Monkeys are Speaking Edition".

whaleyland
08-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Just a suggestion, can you put in an option to not use the close-up of Spiffy the dog? It sorta looks out of place, since it was from the EGA version.

I like the addition of Spiffy but I think the image could be a bit better quality. Were any other versions of Spiffy produced other than the EGA version? It does look very pixilated compared to the other graphics.

LogicDeLuxe
08-26-2010, 06:52 AM
I like the addition of Spiffy but I think the image could be a bit better quality.If anyone can provide a better one, please do so. Here are some guidelines:
- It should stay true to the original intention, of course.
- The image should include Guybrush.
- The image must be in 256 color format.
- The image may use any color palette, as long as it doesn't use the first 16 colors.
- The image size must be either 320x144 or 320x200. (which is approximately 16:9 or 4:3, ie. pixels aren't square)

Also very welcome would be MIDI versions of the cannibal music and of the hijack scene.

DisapprovingOwl
08-29-2010, 01:41 PM
This is absolutely brilliant - played through the latest version today and it's astounding how polished it all is. I didn't encounter any bugs with the speech; it's great to hear that the voice files now appear to all be correctly linked to the relevant dialogue. Improvements such as restoring extra details and effects from the EGA and VGA floppy versions, and fixing artwork errors, is much appreciated too. This is truly Monkey Island as I'd never played it before!

A couple of questions & suggestions:

- Remove the slight camera pan before cutting to the close-up of Spiffy in the Scumm Bar. The game doesn't do this for any of the pirates you can talk to in the bar, and it just comes off as a little weird and unprofessional looking. I'd recommend just cutting straight to the dissolve-in of the close-up, like with the pirates.

- As said, the Spiffy close-up being a modified scan just looks weird, as it's nowhere near as sharp as the other images. I see you're interested in improving this if people are willing to redraw this, so I'll see if I can have a crack at it and post the results. I'd probably give it an orange background to be consistent with the other Scumm Bar images though, since if a VGA version of the image had existed, it probably would have done this anyway. AFAIK, the only reason the current image has a black BG is that all EGA Scumm Bar closeups had a black BG.

- If you notice, in the Scumm Bar close-ups the perspective we see Guybrush from takes into account his height in relation to the position of the patron he's talking to. With this in mind, making Guybrush kneel down (use his 'picking item up from floor' animation) just before cutting to the close-up of Spiffy would better match the close-up, since otherwise the dog is so small that Guybrush's leg should be what's visible in the close-up rather than his head. Even then, since the dog is so small in relation to him, the angle we see him from should be closer to the angle used in Estevan's close-up, rather than the one currently used. If this was done, you'd also need to add him standing back up when cutting back to the bar after finishing talking to Spiffy.

- Since you've been restoring effects and details that were lost in the VGA version, would you be open to making the one-eyed pirate Estevan's eyes dart around when he talks about LeChuck, as in the EGA version? I realise this would require new art, but I'd be willing to have a crack at it if you'd be interested in putting it in. Of course, I'd need screengrabs from the EGA version, for reference regarding how many new frames would be needed and the different positions his eyes would need to be in for each one.

- Is it possible to make the candles in the Scumm Bar kitchen flicker, as they did in the MI1 EGA demo (mentioned on this page (http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/mi1demo.html))? If so, it might also be an idea to make the candles above the Three Important-Looking Pirates flicker too for consistency.

- Is it possible to combine each of the audio files of Fred (the fat Man of Moral Fiber) in pain with a sound effect of him being hit? Since these only seem to play when he's hit, I don't think this would create any issues, and would help 'sell' the effect more.

- Don't remember if the SE did this, but using the ambient "music" track from the regular version of the docks on Mêlée as the default music on the close-up version (used when Fester tries to kill Guybrush/Elaine tries to save him/LeChuck kidnaps Elaine/Guybrush arrives back on Mêlée, etc.) would add consistency, as it'd mean whenever you're on the docks you'd be able to hear the ocean. Though I'd only recommend doing this if the the music which plays at some points in these scenes would still play at the correct points (e.g. the 'romance' music that comes in while talking with Elaine, or the cue that plays as LeChuck's ship sails off).

- When the Narrator is switched on, is it possible to make the voice file for the Voodoo Soup recipe in Part 2 only play the first time you look at it? I had to keep checking the recipe at various points to see which items to put in, and hearing the voice file every single time I checked it quickly got annoying.

- I know the lines have not been recorded, but are there any voice files in MI1:SE or MI2:SE which would make an acceptable substitute for the un-voiced noises Guybrush makes when he's waking up after making the voodoo soup in Part 2? I'm thinking at least a couple of the more distressed-sounding noises he makes when failing to talk to Elaine earlier in the game might possibly be suitable.

- While being punched across Mêlée by LeChuck, Guybrush doesn't scream as he flies through the air. This would be possible by combining the punch and scream sounds into a single unique sound used for this scene.

- After defeating LeChuck, his body makes a water splashing sound when it collapses to the ground and disappears. Again, I haven't played the SE in a while - is this really the correct sound effect?

Finally, I know this isn't currently a priority, but when this CD Talkie Edition officially reaches a 100% completed version, how easy would it be to modify it to create a version that removes any dialogue that has no corresponding voice files? I realise that the current version is intended as a "completist's version" of the game and that many people would not be interested in a slightly "inferior" version content-wise, but it'd be nice to also have a "fully-voiced" version to use to introduce people to the series without having to worry about missing lines of dialogue souring their experience. The only major changes I can see that would be needed would be re-removing the Stump Joke, removing Carla's one un-voiced insult, and maybe altering the game logic when haggling with Stan to use only values with corresponding audio (I think this was mentioned as an issue - I didn't actually encounter any un-voiced lines on my playthrough today, though).

Either way, this is an awesome project and I can't wait for the final polishing to be done to turn this into a 100% definitive version of Monkey Island 1. I'll get working on my take on the Spiffy close-up as soon as I have some time; will post it when it's done to see if it's good enough to use. = ) Keep up the good work, LogicDeluxe!

LogicDeLuxe
08-29-2010, 04:55 PM
- Remove the slight camera pan before cutting to the close-up of Spiffy in the Scumm Bar.Good point. Indeed, the panning doesn't serve a purpose anymore.- If you notice, in the Scumm Bar close-ups the perspective we see Guybrush from takes into account his height in relation to the position of the patron he's talking to. With this in mind, making Guybrush kneel down (use his 'picking item up from floor' animation) just before cutting to the close-up of Spiffy would better match the close-up, since otherwise the dog is so small that Guybrush's leg should be what's visible in the close-up rather than his head.The animation should be easy to implement. In the SE graphics, we see Guybrush's feet. I think, both can work, if the perspective is right.
- Is it possible to make the candles in the Scumm Bar kitchen flicker, as they did in the MI1 EGA demo (mentioned on this page (http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/mi1demo.html))? If so, it might also be an idea to make the candles above the Three Important-Looking Pirates flicker too for consistency.I'm aware of this. I'll ask SimSaw if we can do this with the current tools.- Is it possible to combine each of the audio files of Fred (the fat Man of Moral Fiber) in pain with a sound effect of him being hit?It's on my todo list.- Don't remember if the SE did this, but using the ambient "music" track from the regular version of the docks on Mle as the default music on the close-up version (used when Fester tries to kill Guybrush/Elaine tries to save him/LeChuck kidnaps Elaine/Guybrush arrives back on Mle, etc.) would add consistency, as it'd mean whenever you're on the docks you'd be able to hear the ocean. Though I'd only recommend doing this if the the music which plays at some points in these scenes would still play at the correct points (e.g. the 'romance' music that comes in while talking with Elaine, or the cue that plays as LeChuck's ship sails off).Should be possible. I'll consider it.- When the Narrator is switched on, is it possible to make the voice file for the Voodoo Soup recipe in Part 2 only play the first time you look at it? I had to keep checking the recipe at various points to see which items to put in, and hearing the voice file every single time I checked it quickly got annoying.You might just hit the "."-key to skip his text. Also, you really could just put everything in the pot. This is a foolproof recipe.- I know the lines have not been recorded, but are there any voice files in MI1:SE or MI2:SE which would make an acceptable substitute for the un-voiced noises Guybrush makes when he's waking up after making the voodoo soup in Part 2? I'm thinking at least a couple of the more distressed-sounding noises he makes when failing to talk to Elaine earlier in the game might possibly be suitable.I don't think that they exactly fit the mood. I'd rather not use any MI2:SE sounds, as this would make that game a requirement too, which would be overkill.- While being punched across Mle by LeChuck, Guybrush doesn't scream as he flies through the air. This would be possible by combining the punch and scream sounds into a single unique sound used for this scene.I suppose, I could do this.- After defeating LeChuck, his body makes a water splashing sound when it collapses to the ground and disappears. Again, I haven't played the SE in a while - is this really the correct sound effect?I once heard it in some version which had a sound here (most don't). I think, I'll change it to 100_Ghost_Die.wav, though.Finally, I know this isn't currently a priority, but when this CD Talkie Edition officially reaches a 100% completed version, how easy would it be to modify it to create a version that removes any dialogue that has no corresponding voice files? I realise that the current version is intended as a "completist's version" of the game and that many people would not be interested in a slightly "inferior" version content-wise, but it'd be nice to also have a "fully-voiced" version to use to introduce people to the series without having to worry about missing lines of dialogue souring their experience.I think, a separate version is a bit over the top. A boot param could be implemented to switch those scenes off. Would that serve your needs?and maybe altering the game logic when haggling with Stan to use only values with corresponding audio (I think this was mentioned as an issue - I didn't actually encounter any un-voiced lines on my playthrough today, though).There is a perfect system behind Stan's price ideas. There is no easy fix to cover all possible voice files. I could improve the coverage a lot by only allowing selecting 2000 as the first offer, though. This would eliminate any price ideas above 10000 at least (which all have no voice file), but also might seem strange to only have one option available at first.

And some news:
- I managed to convert MIDI to Adlib. Normally, I'd say, there is still room for tweaking, but unfortunately, I'd have to rewrite the tool to do so. I accidentally damaged some of them in progress. While they sound different to the floppy version, I think, they are quite listenable as I got them now. Due to a completely different sound engine in SCUMM V5, they probably never will sound exactly the same anyways. Hear for yourself in the upcoming version.
- The other lost is my tool to calculate the voice file offsets and create the voices.tbl file used by the build_monster tool. In order to support flac, mp3 and ogg vorbis, and without resampling, I need native file offsets included in that file, so the current version does not work anymore. I have to rewrite that tool.
- Anyway, a few more tweaks and bug fixes in the game are already done, and project credits will be added. The remaining sound problems in native DOS should be fixed too. A few sounds will remain only available in ScummVM, though, due to missing polyphony in native SCUMM V5.

DisapprovingOwl
08-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks for trawling through my epic wall of text and replying so comprehensively, LogicDeluxe! = ) Will skip anything you've just said you can/will do or that's on your to-do list and just offer the following couple of extra comments:

The animation should be easy to implement. In the SE graphics, we see Guybrush's feet. I think, both can work, if the perspective is right. Good to hear that it'd be easy to implement if necessary. Still, it's probably not worth worrying about until you have a "final" version of the Spiffy close-up that you're happy with, as if the close-up used shows Guybrush's leg rather than his head then it's not worth implementing the extra animation of him kneeling. I'll see whether leg or head looks better when I get to that part of my attempt at redrawing it. = )

You might just hit the "."-key to skip his text. Ah, good point; I thought doing that would skip the screen entirely, so I hadn't tried it. It does indeed work. = ) Never mind, then.

I don't think that they exactly fit the mood. I'd rather not use any MI2:SE sounds, as this would make that game a requirement too, which would be overkill. Yeah, I get what you mean about the sounds I mentioned; they were just the first thing I thought of off the top of my head. Also, good call on saying no to MI2 sounds - I hadn't considered that that would make MI2:SE a requirement too, which would be prohibitive to those who only own the original MI:SE.

I think, a separate version is a bit over the top. A boot param could be implemented to switch those scenes off. Would that serve your needs? That would be even better actually; I didn't even consider you'd be able to make something like that a boot param. Only other thing I'd mention is that, if you couldn't find any suitable sounds within MI:SE for Guybrush's un-voiced noises in Part 2, that they also be removed as a part of this boot param.

There is a perfect system behind Stan's price ideas. There is no easy fix to cover all possible voice files. I could improve the coverage a lot by only allowing selecting 2000 as the first offer, though. This would eliminate any price ideas above 10000 at least (which all have no voice file), but also might seem strange to only have one option available at first. Ah, didn't realise it was so complicated, not having seen the system behind it. I must admit, I've never personally got a price over 10,000, so I didn't even know it went up that high! From what you've said, it sounds like the price system would need to be rebuilt almost from the ground up to work only with the voiced lines, which would be far too much time and effort that could be put into better things. = ) Since any changes to this bit would only be part of an alternative boot param, and from the sounds of it still wouldn't fix the issue entirely, I'd say do whatever you feel is best on this one.

Will stop clogging up this topic with my feedback now; my next post should hopefully be the first version of my take on the Spiffy close-up, which doubtless will need some refinement. = )

LogicDeLuxe
08-30-2010, 04:44 AM
Another idea popped up, for which I could need help:
Are there any talented voice impersonators around here?
Since we have some missing lines for Carla, Guybrush, the narrator and Stan.
- Carly needs 3 lines added. Most important, the missing insult.
- For Guybrush, it is the stump joke and the noises he makes when lying on the kitchen floor on the Sea Monkey.
- The narrator should read "Deep in the Caribbean", "The Isle of Melee", to be consistent with other announced locations.
- Stan is missing a bunch of price ideas. If a talented Stan is found, I would make a list of all price ideas possible and order it to the missing ones. As I use sox as a tool, I also could splice just the new numbers into the original recording, if it turns out right. We would need the voice acting in any case, though.

That would be even better actually; I didn't even consider you'd be able to make something like that a boot param.One catch, though: While it is really just a command line parameter in ScummVM, it is not that simple to use in DOS. You have to enter debug mode in order to use it. Most SCUMM versions let you just enter a number on the command line, but the talkie enabled SCUMM V5 unfortunately doesn't.

The alternative would be a keyboard shortcut. How is that? On the downside, you would have to activate this mode after you started the game rather than immediately. Just like the narrator mode. On the other hand, if you change your mind, you could toggle it any time.

JezzaTheLagomorph
08-30-2010, 04:57 AM
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/546/spiffysmall.gif
Would this work?