PDA

View Full Version : Guess it had to die sometime

BlackDove
07-31-2009, 05:20 PM
7 viewing? Please tell me it gets better.

I still recognize some of the old names... but they are few and far between.

It's also very depressing people with my registration date are all admins and mods. You all sold out to The Man. :p

How's everyone doing? Those of you who are still around anyway.

Seph
07-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Pretty good I browse a bit when I get a chance but usually I'm either working, discing, training, or partying.

I agree though, it seems the swamp is just kind of limping along, while only a few threads manage to stay alive, what happened while I was gone?

BlackDove
07-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, I can see that Jedi Outcast and Academy are by now some very old pre-historic games, so it's not like I'm all that surprised at the inactivity. We are some pretty hardcore folk to have been around here.

I actually came back to have a peek, because I may be playing The Old Republic, so I wanted to see how the backend was handled on the LA side of it. My next step was to obviously check on this place next though.

TiE23
07-31-2009, 05:49 PM
We've still got ******** going on here, don't worry. Not as many users, rather a smaller group of dedicated posters. We've got a podcast, a twitter group, and we stay connected on XBL. So we're not dead, yet.

Boba Rhett
07-31-2009, 06:23 PM
My official response to this is, "NO U!"

BlackDove
07-31-2009, 06:35 PM
That's sort of what I've been waiting for, since you were one of the seven I've seen lurk (you're as stale as the goddamn swamp).

But the ******** is slow, slow, SLOW going compared to how it used to be.

Sure is a swamp in here.

Black Knight of Keno
07-31-2009, 06:44 PM
That's sort of what I've been waiting for, since you were one of the seven I've seen lurk (you're as stale as the goddamn swamp)

That's because this is Rhett's dominion.

And don't let Dath tell you anything to the contrary.

MrWally
07-31-2009, 07:08 PM
I know I haven't been around as long as most people, but I still remember it being much more active back when I joined. I've talked with Bongo and IG about this. The Swamp needs a revolution!

The thing is--people are around. When a new thread pops up it can easily fill up pretty fast, but it seems like people are much less willing to start new topics and post in general.

Pie™
07-31-2009, 07:17 PM
I just hang around because I like some of the regulars. Not all of them though.

Darth InSidious
07-31-2009, 07:22 PM
There are few who would dare wade into the Swamp now. The smell of extreme decay and the sound of gradual ossification coming from most of its inhabitants tend to put people off. :p

Samuel Dravis
07-31-2009, 07:39 PM
I inhibit inhabitation. :wonder:

Darathy, with your join date, you're like a teenager who disapproves of his elders! :D

Darth InSidious
07-31-2009, 07:48 PM
I inhibit inhabitation. :wonder:

Darathy, with your join date, you're like a teenager who disapproves of his elders! :D

Very funny, young Dravis, very funny.

ZBomber
07-31-2009, 08:38 PM
I kind of like the way the Swamp is :p But yes, I also remember when there would be a page or more of new topics daily. We're sort of become a small elitist group of losers with nothing better to do then live in the past. :D

jrrtoken
07-31-2009, 08:54 PM
LF as a whole seems to have decayed dramatically. TOR didn't help either, as it essentially created a schism in the already dying KotOR community. At least Mojo has seen a recent surge in positive activity, though I question how that will truly last. Overall, I guess it really is the lack of titles of sustainable quality coming from LA that have made this place derelict, IMO.

acdcfanbill
07-31-2009, 08:57 PM
meh...

oldies, who needs em...

Darth InSidious
07-31-2009, 09:18 PM
LF as a whole seems to have decayed dramatically. TOR didn't help either, as it essentially created a schism in the already dying KotOR community. At least Mojo has seen a recent surge in positive activity, though I question how that will truly last. Overall, I guess it really is the lack of titles of sustainable quality coming from LA that have made this place derelict, IMO.

The modding communities have dropped off, too, though, which has accelerated the decline.

jrrtoken
07-31-2009, 09:32 PM
The modding communities have dropped off, too, though, which has accelerated the decline.Nonsense; who doesn't want another blue-coloured skin of HK-47. :p

Darth Groovy
08-01-2009, 03:51 AM
Black Dove. Your name sounds familiar, but I think you used to go as another name. I just escapes me right now. Yeah, some of us old farts are still stinking up the place....

ZBomber
08-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Black Dove. Your name sounds familiar, but I think you used to go as another name. I just escapes me right now. Yeah, some of us old farts are still stinking up the place....

I think he had a Dragonball (Z?) avatar, if its the person I'm thinking

Tyrion
08-01-2009, 07:03 AM
I think he had a Dragonball (Z?) avatar, if its the person I'm thinking

I vaguely recall him being called Darth Taco, or something like that.

BlackDove
08-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I used to be Superman (Kal-El). BlackDove was my original nick though, I just changed into Superman for the purposes of JO, and then switched back (wanted to be ANNANYMASU so there's no cross play from old games to JO, which was a new game at the time).

And no, I was never Taco. You were literally a kid back then tho Tyrion. How old are you today? Should be grown up, it's been a while.

Darth Avlectus
08-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Generally, yeah, it's pretty dead. When I first joined, even then (during decline) it was bustling compared to now.

I've been more often in the KOTOR area though I lurked around here for awhile. One day getting sick of the senate, I visited the swamp. These folks have a great sense of humor.

I now play around in the forum games area with some other regulars, mostly. There are only a few areas in this forum that are 'alive', and those are feeling it too.

Everything is probably stagnant relative to the declining VG industry right now. However there is always a topic or two popping up of either ironic truth, munchies, or something irksome.

As of late, the comics and stuff just fell short of expectations. I do expect a small influx w/ SW:TOR. Maybe project 1 year of stragglers to come in to LF.

Trench
08-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I know how to bring these forums back to life. JKO mods. Anybody got a General Greivous?:p
If modders start coming back here, then the swamp may get more attention as well.

ZBomber
08-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I used to be Superman (Kal-El). BlackDove was my original nick though, I just changed into Superman for the purposes of JO, and then switched back (wanted to be ANNANYMASU so there's no cross play from old games to JO, which was a new game at the time).

And no, I was never Taco. You were literally a kid back then tho Tyrion. How old are you today? Should be grown up, it's been a while.

YES! I knew it. You had the Dragonball avatar right? I remember you as Kal-El and then vaguely as BlackDove.

And I don't think anything will bring people back to the Swamp because JO has been a dead game for a few years now. The modding community has no interest in something like it when there are bigger and better games out there with stronger mod communities. I'd say 90% of the people who post here have been for a few years, and besides a new person now and then I think its pretty much gonna stay small and intimate (unlike me, who is very large and.... un-intimate...)

Kjølen
08-01-2009, 05:33 PM
The elderly should stay dead!

Seriously, though, I don't usually remember old Swampies when they return. I've only recently (within the past 3 years) started lurking in the Swamp, and I rarely post. I was always a Monkey Island kid first and foremost, though that section of the forum is dead still, even with Tales of Monkey Island out. Arrr, be a sad day for pirates and a good day for old Swampies.

MrWally
08-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Maybe if all the old Swampies who pop back in to say hi every couple months stuck around for a while we could return to the glory days :p

Instead they show up, say hello, and disappear back to their "social lives."

Pffft.

Kjølen
08-01-2009, 06:53 PM
What? I don't get it. This IS our social lives. :confused:

RoxStar
08-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Hmm....

I disagree. I believe LFN has more active in 2009 than it has been since 2005(ish). Lucascast, Lucasnews, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Monkey Island: Special Edition, and lots of other Lucasarts things have happened in the last 12 months.

Darth InSidious
08-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Hmm....

I disagree. I believe LFN has more active in 2009 than it has been since 2005(ish). Lucascast, Lucasnews, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Monkey Island: Special Edition, and lots of other Lucasarts things have happened in the last 12 months.
Yes, and always the same dozen or so people being involved in each thing. More happening, but definitely not as many members.

BlackDove
08-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Pretty sure it's got something to do with the fact that Lucas Arts doesn't really do anything anymore but trade its licenses for money.

I think the Bioware forums TOR wise are somewhat more active, and rightfully so.

Meanwhile Raven treated us like garbage with their instant abandonment upon release, and went to work on SOF2: Dismemberan Shootan or whatever the hell they were doing back then, so it made sense to congregate here.

I'd reckon TOR should bring some new members though down the line when actual playing starts taking place. But not that much, since those systems exist in-game.

Seven years ago we had to come here to connect with one another, because the actual games were just server checkers, instant play and no online interfacing. Today, it's all in the games themselves.

(also yeah, I had the dragonball avatar, it was such a good bait for people to throw down an insult, which would in turn give me carte blanche to troll them into oblivion)

jrrtoken
08-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Yes, and always the same dozen or so people being involved in each thing. More happening, but definitely not as many members.This, for utmost emphasis. This is why sites like LucasCast and LucasNews are either quite uninteresting or totally unnecessary. I feel that there needs to be many more "newer" members involved with the community, rather than always the same admins from yesteryear doing all community-based content.

More to the point; LFN is stale, and needs a breath of fresh air, both in content and membership.

MysticSpade
08-01-2009, 11:12 PM
i stop by in passing i have gone missing a few times here and there. But im around as always. just have my hands in some much stuff with my tv channel and game videos library that im making. plus married 2 kids 2 jobs yeah not a lot of free time...LOL

Darth Avlectus
08-02-2009, 12:13 AM
This, for utmost emphasis. This is why sites like LucasCast and LucasNews are either quite uninteresting or totally unnecessary. I feel that there needs to be many more "newer" members involved with the community, rather than always the same admins from yesteryear doing all community-based content.

More to the point; LFN is stale, and needs a breath of fresh air, both in content and membership.

Let's face it, we can reminisce and have our circle jerk but that isn't going to bring new people. We'd need to spend our time outside LF promoting the site to do that. Any ideas?

Despite the breakup TOR is having on the kotor community, it's still happening. I think whom ever are going to be our soldiers of LF for our guilds in SWTOR would need to have some elite playing skills and gimmicks to go along with it. An attractive team that gets the attention of others.

Another way I suppose is the UltraSabers forums. They have dedicated fans of the KOTOR series and the Jedi Knight series. If some of us got involved in the saber scene we could help promote LF that way.

Also, if we kind of welcomed other stuff that makes SW references it may make us more attractive that way.

...Maybe. Just tossing in ideas.

ZBomber
08-02-2009, 12:32 AM
The Swamp started sucking when Tyrion started growing up :(

:p

BongoBob
08-02-2009, 12:52 AM

Nah, I blame m@rs.

DarthAve
08-02-2009, 02:34 AM
Nah, I blame m@rs.
QFE.

Then again, at least the swamp has posts everyday. Places like RD are the really dead ones, which makes me sad considering that's what brought me to LF in the first place.

Kjølen
08-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Let's face it, we can reminisce and have our circle jerk but that isn't going to bring new people. We'd need to spend our time outside LF promoting the site to do that. Any ideas?

I'm partial to this idea. There are plenty of large communities that LF could benefit from, in terms of member-induced advertisement. Many of us spend time in other communities, we could probably glean a few new members from other sites. I, for example, also spend time on deviantArt, Project Origin Community Forums, Facebook, and Imperial Nerds (www.imperialnerds.com). I could get some members easily from there.

Pho3nix
08-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Nah, I blame m@rs.
Nah, I blame DarthAve.

BongoBob
08-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Nah, I blame Dath for not being around enough anymore.

edlib
08-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Well... with few "must have" new games out of LucasArts these days, the forums are bound to atrophy a bit.

But then, I mostly post at RSN and XWA... the Swamp is a regular hotbed of activity in comparison. :rolleyes:

And I remember Black Dove fairly well actually... mostly from a single thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=125518): having to do with someone's avatar with bouncing boobs that was asked to be pulled down, which eventually turned into a meta-discussion on censorship on the forums.

Ahhh... good times!

DarthAve
08-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Nah, I blame DarthAve.

=/ I guess I know where I'm not welcomed.

Darth InSidious
08-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Then why haven't you left LF yet?

Samuel Dravis
08-02-2009, 03:29 PM
AVE <3

For shame, you surly old codgers! :D

Dath Maximus
08-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Nah, I blame Dath for not being around enough anymore.

go ******** a goat

and we meet again kal el......

Hallucination
08-02-2009, 04:23 PM
So I heard you guys are accepting Ahtonauts now, do I need an application or should I just drop off my resume?

RoxStar
08-02-2009, 05:27 PM
So I heard you guys are accepting Ahtonauts now, do I need an application or should I just drop off my resume?

If by "drop off my resume" you mean leave your pants with Rhett, then yes.

BongoBob
08-02-2009, 06:39 PM

*glues Ave to the floor*

go ******** a goat

But you never showed me how to do so without permanent injury!

IG-64
08-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Nah, I blame DarthAve.

Then why haven't you left LF yet?

WTF did Ave ever do? *helps Bongo*

And it's hard to talk about much around here since the entire entertainment industry has been full of sucktitude lately.

MrWally
08-03-2009, 04:15 AM
What's with all of the Ave hate?

Did I miss out on some old inside joke?

*Joins IG and Bongo*

TiE23
08-03-2009, 04:19 AM
What's with all of the Ave hate?

Did I miss out on some old inside joke?

*Joins IG and Bongo*

Yeah, same here. What's with all the hatin' on little ol' Missus Avery?

Pie™
08-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Yes because all women are delicate flowers who need your internet-protection.

http://www.gerardkellycarnival.com/images/sections/white-knight.jpg

Verily.

stoffe
08-03-2009, 08:22 AM
This, for utmost emphasis. This is why sites like LucasCast and LucasNews are either quite uninteresting or totally unnecessary. I feel that there needs to be many more "newer" members involved with the community, rather than always the same admins from yesteryear doing all community-based content.

All the sites on LFN are run by volunteers (or were, in case of the essentially abandoned ones) . If no new people volunteer to do anything, then that breath of fresh air is hard to bring about. Over the past year or so I've not received any PMs/emails from people volunteering to help out with anything, nor any requests from non-staff to have a Lucas-related site hosted on LFN. (Though I guess people may have contacted someone else and it has stayed there. :))

So I don't think it's as much a matter of the the Old Guard wanting to do everything themselves, as it is a matter of so few others being bothered to. So someone has to if anything is to happen. :)

jrrtoken
08-03-2009, 09:19 AM
So I don't think it's as much a matter of the Ancients wanting to do everything themselves, as it is a matter of no one else being bothered to, so someone has to if anything is to happen. :)I always assumed that there was a great deal of grooming and initiation, and that neophyte staff members were only chosen by the staff alone. Either way, I really can't see a "HELP WANTED" page anywhere on any of the forums. ;)

If you want volunteers, then make it privy towards everyone; don't just "wait" for someone to ask. Maybe if some people knew that you needed assistance, then perhaps they would be willing to help.

If you want to get more involved, what's keeping you from it? :)A generally unfriendly environment, and the fact that the staff seems to be quite comfortable with allowing other members to handle things, while gradually alienating most others. Again, all you have to do is ask, and not simply wait for others. :rolleyes:

EnderWiggin
08-03-2009, 11:20 AM
I always assumed that there was a great deal of grooming and initiation, and that neophyte staff members were only chosen by the staff alone. Either way, I really can't see a "HELP WANTED" page anywhere on any of the forums. ;)

If you want volunteers, then make it privy towards everyone; don't just "wait" for someone to ask. Maybe if some people knew that you needed assistance, then perhaps they would be willing to help.

I absolutely agree. Someone told me that they accepted applications for staff positions at the Fracture forums - but I never saw an announcement or anything on it.

I like the staff here (although it seems that Pastrami does not) but I have to wonder - Why doesn't somebody know about the help we need?

_EW_

BongoBob
08-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes because all women are delicate flowers who need your internet-protection.

Yes because we're only saying anything because Ave's a chick.

:¬:

DarthAve
08-03-2009, 02:54 PM

I thought girls on the internet didn't even exist considering we'd most likely have to leave the kitchen...

Black Knight of Keno
08-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I thought girls on the internet didn't even exist considering we'd most likely have to leave the kitchen...

And don't forget you'd also have to learn how to use the magic box with the clickety-typety-board attached to it.

EnderWiggin
08-03-2009, 03:01 PM

Good point. :xp:

_EW_

Father Torque
08-05-2009, 10:24 AM

hahahaha.

The Swamp gained poop status when points (for those who remember) became more important than posts.

Kjølen
08-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Glowing usernames. :|
Enough said.

BongoBob
08-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I miss my old Blue name :(

Kjølen
08-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Mine was neon green! :D
I was popular back then.

Pho3nix
08-06-2009, 05:55 PM

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/Pho3nix-/Nedry-1.gif