PDA

View Full Version : Native audio formats used by DOTT

NovaCoder
09-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Hiya,

I working on an Amiga port of DOTT and need to know the audio formats for speech/fx and music.

It appears that the music is stored in TENTACLE.001 in (I assume) MIDI format?

And the speech/SFX is stored in MONSTER.SOU, no idea of the format though.

THanx :)

Update:

I think it may be in RAW PCM format which is apparently a WAV file without the header info. I haven't actually managed to load any of my ripped PCM files yet though?

Update x2:

Ok looks like it's 'Raw PCM signed 16bit, little endian, 5500 Hz, 88 kbps, mono' (which is very low). I think this file might be off the PC floppy version though...hopefully the PC CDROM version is a bit better!

clone2727
09-04-2009, 01:18 AM
I working on an Amiga port of DOTT and need to know the audio formats for speech/fx and music.Umm.... not sure why you would be doing that. ScummVM already has an Amiga port (for OS4) (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scummvm/scummvm-1.0.0rc1-amigaos4.lha?download). If you mean you're porting to an old version of the Amiga, I assume you would be using ScummVM as a base anyway...

NovaCoder
09-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Hi,

No this is not for OS4, it's for the older 'classic' AGA machines running OS3.9.

And yep, I am using an older version of SCUMMVM and need to do the music/sfx...already have the graphics running at a decent rate.

s-island
09-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Music is in format 2 MIDI. Check the engines/scumm/imuse directory of the ScummVM source code for how to interpret the imuse specific commands. The monster.sou file should contain a bunch of VOC files. I believe Scummrev over at Lucashacks (Mojo hosted site) can extract them.

LogicDeLuxe
09-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Ok looks like it's 'Raw PCM signed 16bit, little endian, 5500 Hz, 88 kbps, mono' (which is very low).It is VOC, mostly 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono, but there are also a few 11025 Hz files. The floppy version is 11025 Hz throughout.

And there actually is an old ScummVM version for Amiga OS3 which can run DOTT. The Adlib-Emulation might be slow on weaker machines, though.

NovaCoder
09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
It is VOC, mostly 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono, but there are also a few 11025 Hz files. The floppy version is 11025 Hz throughout.

And there actually is an old ScummVM version for Amiga OS3 which can run DOTT. The Adlib-Emulation might be slow on weaker machines, though.

Hiya,

Ok thanks for the info :)

Yep this port is based on one of those other Amiga OS3 ports. I'm just trying to improve the sound quality and program performance.

NovaCoder
09-24-2009, 08:30 PM
The Adlib-Emulation might be slow on weaker machines, though.

If I can't get my Amiga MUS player working (see my other thread) I might have to use the Midi to Adlib driver to create digital sound instead. What kind of quality of digital samples does the Adlib driver create...anyone know?

Eg 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono?

NovaCoder
06-10-2013, 04:50 AM
If I can't get my Amiga MUS player working (see my other thread) I might have to use the Midi to Adlib driver to create digital sound instead. What kind of quality of digital samples does the Adlib driver create...anyone know?

Eg 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono?

Can I bump an old thread, got the audio working ok now :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB3KPxb2aKY