PDA

View Full Version : Dream Game

M@RS
09-23-2009, 01:34 AM
This is derived from a saying made by Jeff Moeller during one of the Lucascasts about his dream game.

What would your dream game(s) be, and what game engine would it run on?

Mine would be "Republic Commando: 2" on the Cryengine 2. Another one would be Tribes 3 (Vengeance doesn't count) in the Chrome 4 Engine.

Kjølen
09-23-2009, 02:11 AM
KotOR III on the Unreal Engine. Hate me if you must.

M@RS
09-23-2009, 02:26 AM
KotOR III on the Unreal Engine. Hate me if you must.

Oh yes, that sounds good too. However, I still need to play KotOR and TSL. :[

IG-64
09-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Jurassic Park: Trespasser remake for CryEngine 3

Tie-Fighter 2, on a new engine.

And a (worthy) spiritual successor to Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 in a 3D form.

I have my own game ideas that don't involve sequels or remakes, but I've decided to keep them to myself mostly, just in case.

acdcfanbill
09-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Wing Commander 6

Darth Avlectus
09-23-2009, 04:25 AM
The one you write, yourself, then learn to program, and develop of your own volition.

Otherwise a worthy rehash of/sequel to Odyssey: Legend of nemesis (http://www.paranoidproductions.com/odyssey/index.html). Also with Derek Riggs' cover artwork and no exceptions.

Pho3nix
09-23-2009, 05:24 AM
A Star Wars MMO which doesn't suck

Rogue Squadron 3
And also this ^. Good suggestion btw, hadn't thought of that. I loved Trespasser :p

Det. Bart Lasiter
09-23-2009, 09:46 AM
A DnD game on an engine that doesn't suck and has destructible environments.

RoxStar
09-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Tie-Fighter 2, on a new engine.

And a (worthy) spiritual successor to Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 in a 3D form.

^ This. 1000x this

I really enjoyed Dead Space. More original games like that with compelling storylines, I guess.

TiE23
09-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Shadow of the Colossus, re-mastered with improved graphics, 1080p and constant 30 fps. Plus more colossi. I'd love that.

MrWally
09-23-2009, 01:36 PM
A DnD game on an engine that doesn't suck and has destructible environments.

Oh my god. THIS.

When playing tabletop dnd it's one of the most versatile, enjoyable games imaginable. All that is stripped away in, say, Neverwinter Nights or Dungeons and Dragons: Online.

Don't get me wrong, the character customization alone makes them good games, and DDO is actually pretty similar to the tabletop game, but it's still not enough.

Also, the game would have to be based on DnD 4th Edition, please. V3.5 is ridiculously imbalanced.

And if a game like this were to ever come out it better be shipped with a campaign editor and a "DM" mode akin to NWN1 where someone can preside over a multiplayer campaign for his friends.

Det. Bart Lasiter
09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Oh my god. THIS.

When playing tabletop dnd it's one of the most versatile, enjoyable games imaginable. All that is stripped away in, say, Neverwinter Nights or Dungeons and Dragons: Online.

Don't get me wrong, the character customization alone makes them good games, and DDO is actually pretty similar to the tabletop game, but it's still not enough.

Also, the game would have to be based on DnD 4th Edition, please. V3.5 is ridiculously imbalanced.

And if a game like this were to ever come out it better be shipped with a campaign editor and a "DM" mode akin to NWN1 where someone can preside over a multiplayer campaign for his friends.Basically this except for the 4th edition thing since I like playing as a sorcerer. I'd love to see a NwN-type game that includes destructible environments a la the Diablo 3 previews, as well as teleport spells and more realistic magical shield effects. I always thought it was weird that my 20th level sorcerer could defeat pretty much anything he or she came across but had to walk everywhere and that magic missile effects went right through any magical shields I put up.

MrWally
09-23-2009, 03:24 PM
4th Edition contains a sorcerer. It was published in the Players Handbook 2 along with other classic classes such as the druid and a few more. They aren't as awesome as they were in v3.5 (see: imbalanced), but they're there.

Kain
09-23-2009, 03:27 PM
4th edition sucks.

jrrtoken
09-23-2009, 04:02 PM
A platformer-RPG. It'll be difficult to strike a balance with platforming and stat mechanics, but I could see that it might work out alright. To the core, however, it should be another Neverhood game by TenNapel.

Oh, and a real spiritual sequel to System Shock 2.

Det. Bart Lasiter
09-23-2009, 05:13 PM
4th Edition contains a sorcerer. It was published in the Players Handbook 2 along with other classic classes such as the druid and a few more. They aren't as awesome as they were in v3.5 (see: imbalanced), but they're there.why would i want to play a less awesome sorcerer? also

4th edition sucks.

Giant Graffiti
09-23-2009, 05:53 PM
A good Battlefront game, with a decent engine and destructible environments.

EDIT: It would be great if it was like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMNpVrrELDM)

MrWally
09-23-2009, 05:57 PM
What's with the 4th Edition hate? Then again, you probably have a different perspective than me. For both of the DnD groups I'm in I play as the DM, so my experience is a little bit different.

It's a "Less Awesome" sorcerer in the sense that he isn't completely over-powered and game-breaking. I know where you're coming from. Sorcerer was my favorite class in v3.5. But I think there's a very legitimate argument for why they revamped the spell system in the 4th Edition.

Sure, it took a while getting used to, but I don't think there's a single class in 4th Edition that I wouldn't want to play as or that's "weak" compared to other classes. And in my opinion (especially when you're DMing and trying to keep players happy) that's a major win.

M@RS
09-23-2009, 06:30 PM
A good Battlefront game, with a decent engine and destructible environments.

Yes, I'd like to see that as well. The leaked video of BF3 looked pretty good, imo.

Oh yeah. I'd like to see a well done FPS made in the Star Trek Genre. Probably made with the Unreal Engine, or the IW Engine.

Kain
09-23-2009, 11:46 PM
BAH!! Sorcerers aren't overpowered. Rogue/Hexblade>Sorcerer.

TiE23
09-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Nerds.

IG-64
09-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Nerds.

Pretty boy. (http://dvice.com/pics/MacPC.jpg)

MrWally
09-24-2009, 02:37 AM
BAH!! Sorcerers aren't overpowered. Rogue/Hexblade>Sorcerer.

Hmm.. Never dealt with a Rogue/Hexblade. Maybe you're right. Out of the core classes though, while definitely not as potent early game, once you reached higher levels Sorcerers were pretty imba. From what I could tell, at least. Very few of our campaigns went that far.

Either way. I think we can all agree that the world could use a GOOD DnD-based rpg. Preferably one that isn't Bioware (I love Bioware, but is it just me or do their games always seem.... constricting?)

Nerds.

Oh quiet you. DnD stopped being cool to make fun of years ago.

Gamma097
09-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Republic Commando 2 on a more mod-capable Unreal engine and Battlefront III on whatever engine BFII had.

M@RS
09-25-2009, 12:47 AM
'T' rated Mass Effect.

RoxStar
09-25-2009, 03:19 AM
'T' rated Mass Effect.

Just wait 9 years, jeez. The mature content of the game gave the story a much broader range of emotion and scope in its storytelling and made the game that much better.

MrWally
09-25-2009, 03:31 AM
'T' rated Mass Effect.

*sigh* You've got to be kidding me...

Just wait 9 years, jeez. The mature content of the game gave the story a much broader range of emotion and scope in its storytelling and made the game that much better.

QFT. The mature content in Mass Effect was one of the highlights of the entire game, and it was most definitely necessary. Especially the relationship story arcs. I've seen very few games with character development that solid. It was brilliant.

BongoBob
09-25-2009, 03:35 AM
'T' rated Mass Effect.

No no no no no no no no no no no no a thousand times no.

jrrtoken
09-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Just wait 9 years, jeez. The mature content of the game gave the story a much broader range of emotion and scope in its storytelling and made the game that much better.No, no, no, no. :ugh:

If "mature" equates to alien sex and violence, all laced with poorly-placed swears embedded in already banal dialogue, then I truly wonder if BioWare in staffed by 15 year olds. When I think of a "mature" storyline, I think of a plot that is intellectual and complex enough to appeal to adults and children and one that doesn't have to always resort to base emotions to provide an experience. At least if ME is given a "Teen" rating, then they're forced to create more content to make up for all of the gratuitous gore and sex, and therefore something decently written might come out of BioWare nowadays. Instead, I'm seeing diabolically sophomoric s*** coming out of them with Dragon Age.

Pho3nix
09-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Oh get over it Pastrami, sex sells.

<3 alien sex

BongoBob
09-25-2009, 07:05 AM
No, no, no, no. :ugh:

If "mature" equates to alien sex and violence, all laced with poorly-placed swears embedded in already banal dialogue, then I truly wonder if BioWare in staffed by 15 year olds. When I think of a "mature" storyline, I think of a plot that is intellectual and complex enough to appeal to adults and children and one that doesn't have to always resort to base emotions to provide an experience. At least if ME is given a "Teen" rating, then they're forced to create more content to make up for all of the gratuitous gore and sex, and therefore something decently written might come out of BioWare nowadays. Instead, I'm seeing diabolically sophomoric s*** coming out of them with Dragon Age.

A) This isn't about Dragon Age.
B) Since when did Mass Effect have "poorly placed swears embedded in an already banal dialogue?" You make it sound as if they drop the f bomb for no reason, when the strongest thing I remember them uttering were the occasional Damn.
C) Gratuitous gore and sex? What the f*** game where you playing? The most "gore" in it was the occasional blood effects when shooting a humanoid NPC, and I wouldn't call a scene that tastefully shows no nipples or genitals a gratuitous sex scene.

Darth InSidious
09-25-2009, 11:21 AM
B) Since when did Mass Effect have "poorly placed swears embedded in an already banal dialogue?" You make it sound as if they drop the f bomb for no reason, when the strongest thing I remember them uttering were the occasional Damn.
The dialogue does, however, read like it was written by a pre-pubescent, lobotomised thirteen-year-old.

C) Gratuitous gore and sex? What the f*** game where you playing? The most "gore" in it was the occasional blood effects when shooting a humanoid NPC, and I wouldn't call a scene that tastefully shows no nipples or genitals a gratuitous sex scene.
You mean aside from that they were, as said, they were worse-written than the average episode of Torchwood. But no doubt you think that's 'gritty', 'mature' and well-written, too.

Pie™
09-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Please nobody say "the f-bomb" ever again.

MrWally
09-25-2009, 01:08 PM
No, no, no, no. :ugh:

Your entire argument falls apart when you say When I think of a "mature" storyline, I think of a plot that is intellectual and complex enough to appeal to adults and children and one that doesn't have to always resort to base emotions to provide an experience. because the fact of the matter is that in order to appeal to both children and adults you need to play off some sort of "base emotion". That's why Pixar films are so successful--not simply because of deep character development, but because they play off emotions that little children can understand and adults can relate to. Meanwhile, a "mature" story must work with higher emotions, specifically emotions riddled with ambiguity. There's a reason why everything in child films is black and white.

Mass Effect succeeds as a mature game not because of the violence and sex (and lets face it, you can hardly say there's "sex" in the game. The 30 second "sex scene" is only the climax for a much deeper and more intricate side-quest in which you're given the opportunity to react with and develop relationships with NPCs. And hey, in the route I took playing with a Female Shepard and choosing Liara as a companion, the game is pretty clear that for Asari's it's not just about the "sex", it's about the mental bond that grows between two people in the process and how they use that relationship to better themselves as individuals. That's hardly "gratuitous" theme--it's a mature concept that most adults in our culture don't recognize), it succeeds because it forces you to develop your character and make choices that actually have weight and meaning. I found it seriously difficult to make "evil" decisions because of the impact they would have on the highly-developed NPCs.

And frankly I don't want to play a "Pixar" version of Mass Effect.

And what version of Mass Effect were you playing, anyways? Like Bongo said, perhaps unless you consistently took the a**hole Renegade character path there was very little language--nothing that you couldn't find in a "T" rated game.

The dialogue does, however, read like it was written by a pre-pubescent, lobotomised thirteen-year-old.

You mean aside from that they were, as said, they were worse-written than the average episode of Torchwood. But no doubt you think that's 'gritty', 'mature' and well-written, too.

First, just throwing this out here... Torchwood *probably* isn't the best example to use on this forum. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Anyways.

Yes, I will admit that the dialogue isn't comparable with top-notch film or television shows, but just think about this for a moment. Every conversation is scripted with (typically) 6 different dialogue paths, and in a game that has 70+ hours of gameplay... that's a lot of scripting. And then, in addition to all of that, the dialogue options change based on what characters you have in your party and what major actions you've taken in the past. The fact that they accomplished this feat while still making the dialogue engaging and entertaining was a complete breakthrough in the gaming industry. There is a reason that virtually every critic disagrees with you when you claim that the dialogue is puerile. The only validity I can really see in your claim is that, yes, the dialogue does seem somewhat choppy, but again, that was clearly sacrificed for the sake of having free-form conversations.

This discussion, however, isn't just about the dialogue. It's also about the necessity of Mass Effect's mature themes. Imagine for a moment if the game was stripped of everything relating to the relationship story arc, all of the Renegade dialogue options were removed, and you were no longer given the opportunity to make serious morally ambiguous, "mature" decisions (such as when you have to kill Wrex or convince him to destroy the cure for the disease destroying his entire species), and, just for kicks, lets say the free-form dialogue was removed and replaced with slightly better-written linear cutscenes.

Is Mass Effect perfect? Hardly. It was definitely enjoyable, but there were still quite a few flaws. However, if those elements are removed from the game then all that's left is a linear, emotion-less sci-fi shooter with static characters you don't care about (just like almost every other piece of generic crap out there) instead of the massive, interactive role-playing game that truly attempt to let you take your own path and make your own decisions in what feels like a real, immersive, world where the actions you take effect the lives of those around you.

/Rant (http://blogs.technet.com/photos/gray_knowlton/images/2998979/original.aspx).

IG-64
09-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Pull it back people, this thread does have a topic.

TiE23
09-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Nerds.

I was playing M-rated games when I was 8. And T-rated games when I was 6.

So you either play M-rated games before the allowed age, or you don't. Some kids are just in homes like that, so you guys really shouldn't be bashing them for that kind of stuff.

Also, I loved playing Mass Effect from start being a massive dick. When you have to deal with those sentient arachnids on Hoth or whatever. I felt a certain level of pleasure being able to flush them down the toilets with a "Uh-huh, that's nice." *kill-so-hard-it-makes-'em-extinct*

Also guys, we're talking about video games here. It can be something like Mass Effect and Ico, or something like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand and Mad World. Either way, people like Roger Ebert still think it's the same mindless slop that's poisoning the youth.

Edit: Darn, took me too long to write that, damn you IG! *shakes fist*

On topic:
Oh! I know! Okami in 1080p.

Does the PS3 truly upscale when doing backwards compatibility (on the launch consoles)? Cause that sounds wrong, but I think I've heard of it.

IG-64
09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Some kids are just in homes like that, so you guys really shouldn't be bashing them for that kind of stuff.
I thought the same thing. M@RS probably just wants to play a cool game without disobeying his parents, regardless of whether it's a bastardization of the original.

And TiE, I've noticed your "dream" games have more to do with increased resolution than anything else. :p

TiE23
09-25-2009, 02:11 PM
And TiE, I've noticed your "dream" games have more to do with increased resolution than anything else. :p

A-hem...
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx358/zerstorer23/shadow-of-the-colossus-200505171131.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2530/3953135985_5fc41f4e6a_m.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2530/3953135985_3f59486dac_o.jpg) (click!)

I believe my points are valid. :carms:

(I was surprised that the low-rez example is almost exactly the same image as the super-rez one - also, didn't you send me that SotC image, IG? : P)

IG-64
09-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Oh I know. I gawk at that very high-res picture often, but really that game looked fantastic even on the PS2. Sure, I'd love an HD version, but given a choice wouldn't you rather have a sequel with an all-new run of colossi, which expands upon the story and adds game elements?

Really, they could make a Shadow of the Colossus game that takes several days to beat and I would probably be so transfixed to it I would die from neglecting my own body. >.>

TiE23
09-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Not so fast.

(The Last Guardian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Guardian) in case someone doesn't know)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2603/3954498456_2663600e18_b.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2603/3954498456_cc2d31fde6_o.jpg)
(click for uber-rez)

Not really a sequel, but it's got a colossal pigeon-griffin-dog.

I'm gonna have a PS3 when that game comes out, no doubt.

(Also, I think the full-bright rendering style of the kid is final, weird, huh?)

BongoBob
09-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Considering I don't even know what Torchwood is, no.

Please nobody say "the f-bomb" ever again.

"the f-bomb" ever again.

:p

Back on topic, I'd kill for a remake of Ocarina of Time with 360/PS3 level graphics.

IG-64
09-25-2009, 10:37 PM
You know, the Trespasser engine was so close to cryengine, the only thing keeping me from actually making a remake is copyright laws.

*kicks copyrights*

Anthony
09-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Tetris with better graphics.

EDIT: GTAIVified Sims 3

Pie™
09-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Sandbox-style GTA-ish Star Wars or Tolkien-based game.

TiE23
09-26-2009, 02:22 PM
EDIT: GTAIVified Sims 3

Yeah, I've always thought having the option to brutally murder fellow sims and avoiding the law would be fun. Something for The Sims 4 I guess.

FFFF:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffFFFFffffffff...ffff.fff.f. ff.ff....ffffff....ff.f.f...f.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx358/zerstorer23/FFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffFFFFfffFFFFFFFF.jpg

FFFFFfffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffFFFFFFF (http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-09-ueda-wants-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-on-ps3-150001.phtml)

IG-64
09-26-2009, 09:28 PM
God dang it, now I need a PS3.

Dath Maximus
09-27-2009, 11:54 AM
hey m@rs they did make a good star trek fps that ran off the unreal engine

and if pastrami wants mature, i can tell him about that night with his mom

Troopr-Undr-Fir
09-27-2009, 02:03 PM
^If I'da known this thread was gonna be that kind of party, I'da stuck my d*ck in the mashed potatoes...

acdcfanbill
09-27-2009, 03:27 PM

What was that game? The only two Trek FPS's I recall are Elite Force 1 and 2, and both of those used id tech 3.

Delta 62
09-27-2009, 03:30 PM
The Old Republic Single Player On the Gears of war engine

M@RS
09-27-2009, 04:03 PM

hat was that game? The only two Trek FPS's I recall are Elite Force 1 and 2, and both of those used id tech 3.

Yes, those are the only ones I can think of too. Which one are you talking about Dath?

swphreak
09-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I think a sandbox cop game would be pretty cool.

A GTA in the future would be awesome - with hovercars and lasers and stuff.

Dath Maximus
09-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Yes, those are the only ones I can think of too. Which one are you talking about Dath?

it was called "worf does m@rs mom"

Det. Bart Lasiter
09-27-2009, 11:16 PM
was this released before or after you hit it

MrWally
09-28-2009, 02:17 AM
I want to see a Mario game that looks like this:

http://files.sharenator.com/mario_land_Badass_Super_Mario_desktop_wallpapers-s1280x972-22547-580.jpg

Higher res:

http://files.sharenator.com/mario_land_Badass_Super_Mario_desktop_wallpapers-s1280x972-22547.jpg

Det. Bart Lasiter
09-28-2009, 02:19 AM
i want a mario game that looks like http://www.eegra.com/show/sub/do/browse/cat/comics/id/62

Troopr-Undr-Fir
09-28-2009, 10:44 AM
^ I feel like that trip should not have been taken.

Pie™
09-28-2009, 02:51 PM
i want a vidya gaem based on the popular web-comic Ctrl-Alt-Delete™ with epic win quests like playing vidya gaems and miscarrying fetii
VIDYA GAEMS

Det. Bart Lasiter
09-28-2009, 04:59 PM
i want a vidya gaem based on the popular web-comic Ctrl-Alt-Delete™ with epic win quests like playing vidya gaems and miscarrying fetii
VIDYA GAEMS

http://www.eegra.com/show/sub/do/browse/cat/comics/id/36

Troopr-Undr-Fir
09-28-2009, 07:42 PM
El oh el, poop-fart-****ing-poop

MrWally
09-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't find those comics to be funny?

It's not even that they're "offensive"... I just don't see the humor.

IG-64
09-28-2009, 10:11 PM

*raises hand*

DarthDie
09-29-2009, 02:33 AM

*raises hand*

*raises another hand*

I read all of them today, I found one or two humorous but in general they were just kinda...wierd and not funny at all.

Darth Avlectus
09-30-2009, 01:34 AM
A jackass game that was on an engine like GTA4 or Saint's row.

IG-64
09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
I'll do you one better. A Nitro Circus game.

Darth Avlectus
09-30-2009, 06:30 PM
*looks it up* Ok. I'll go for it. Just toss a few extra things in and its a deal.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
10-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Agreed that tasteless things should only be done in moderation. Now until they reach the acts of Carlos Mencia, Dane Cook, or anyone of >= fail, that is when it is just painful.

So my vote for poop-fart-poop still has value.